PDA

View Full Version : Computers Video Editing

malachi47000
10-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Hey, I picked up a Panasonic HDC-SDT750 Camcorder and have been shooting family videos and such with 1080p at 60fps. I am willing to pony up "some" money to get a reliable software program and was curious what others have used, heard of, or messed with. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dayze
10-05-2011, 02:56 PM
"family videos".
likely story.:hump:

:D

Detoxing
10-05-2011, 03:00 PM
PC or Mac?

If you're using a Mac the answer is Final Cut Pro. Period. End of discussion.

If you're using a PC...Well...right now I am using Adobe Premier.

Honestly, just for simple family things Premier Express (a much cheaper and shortened version) will do more than you need.

For Mac, Apple's IMOVIE is a really good program too.

Final Verdict: IMOVIE or Premier Express. Both are cheap, intuitive and will do more than what you need.

Fish
10-05-2011, 03:25 PM
PC or Mac?

If you're using a Mac the answer is Final Cut Pro. Period. End of discussion.

If you're using a PC...Well...right now I am using Adobe Premier.

Honestly, just for simple family things Premier Express (a much cheaper and shortened version) will do more than you need.

For Mac, Apple's IMOVIE is a really good program too.

Final Verdict: IMOVIE or Premier Express. Both are cheap, intuitive and will do more than what you need.

I would really recommend against the latest Final Cut Pro. It's a piece of shit. They dumbed it down a lot. It's not backwards compatible, so you can't edit any existing Final Cut Pro projects. There's zero support for any 3rd party hardware or software add-ons. You can't import/export anything anymore.

Adobe Premier >>>>>> Final Cut Pro

Unless you plan on trying to find the older version 7. But you can't get it from Apple, as they don't sell older versions of software after newer versions have been released.

Count Zarth
10-05-2011, 03:29 PM
I use Adobe After Effects and Premiere is similar I believe. There's a bit of a learning curve though.

For simpler editing, this is a good program. It's basically a simple version of Avid, which is complicated:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/Studio+HD+15.htm

malachi47000
10-05-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks, I will try out Adobe...appreciate your help..

Detoxing
10-05-2011, 03:42 PM
I would really recommend against the latest Final Cut Pro. It's a piece of shit. They dumbed it down a lot. It's not backwards compatible, so you can't edit any existing Final Cut Pro projects. There's zero support for any 3rd party hardware or software add-ons. You can't import/export anything anymore.

Adobe Premier >>>>>> Final Cut Pro

Unless you plan on trying to find the older version 7. But you can't get it from Apple, as they don't sell older versions of software after newer versions have been released.

Yeah, that is pretty fucking retarded. I wouldn't know, I haven't used a Mac in years. When I did though, Final Cut Pro was the standard.

But for what this guy is doing, I'm thinking both Premier and FCP are way too much program.

IMOVIE and Premiere Elements/Express FTW.

Count Zarth
10-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks, I will try out Adobe...appreciate your help..

Get the trial version first, you might not like it. I remember the first time I opened it I was overwhelmed.

Fish
10-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Cool thing about Adobe products.... they all have a free 30-day trial that includes the entire program with no functionality missing.

Detoxing
10-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Get the trial version first, you might not like it. I remember the first time I opened it I was overwhelmed.

True dat.

Better yet, just use Windows Movie Maker. **** it. It'll also likely do what you need to do. I don't know if it supports 1080 though.

Fish
10-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Just use MS Paint to draw some pics, print them out, and flip through them really fast. That's about all we think you can handle...

Count Zarth
10-05-2011, 03:59 PM
By the way, if you're going to be using 1080p video at 60 frames per second, you will need some good hardware running your software unless you want the process to be a headache.

Detoxing
10-05-2011, 04:00 PM
True dat.

Better yet, just use Windows Movie Maker. **** it. It'll also likely do what you need to do. I don't know if it supports 1080 though.

Quick google search says that it does.

Seriously though...if all you plan on doing is splicing clips, adding subtitles and transitions and throwing a soundtrack underneath, well Windows Movie Maker can do all that and it's free and easy to use.

malachi47000
10-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Another part of it is I am planning on taking my sons football games and making a highlight tape, just cut out the parts that have him playing. From playing around with Movie Maker, it only allows to place full clips and not separate them. I was also hoping to get some effects in it like slow motion, sped up, with dialogue and music etc. Granted I don't need movie studio software here but would like a good program that offers a variety of features.

Count Zarth
10-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Another part of it is I am planning on taking my sons football games and making a highlight tape, just cut out the parts that have him playing. From playing around with Movie Maker, it only allows to place full clips and not separate them. I was also hoping to get some effects in it like slow motion, sped up, with dialogue and music etc. Granted I don't need movie studio software here but would like a good program that offers a variety of features.

You could just have me do it. :)

malachi47000
10-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Appreciate the offer but want to do this as a hobby at first and maybe for money later on...that is why I don't mind paying for some better software. I want to kind of get accustomed to it and identify different effects to work with and experiment with. Use my son as a guinea pig...lol

Lzen
10-06-2011, 07:21 AM
I have been using Nero 8 Ultra Edition for the last few years. It has done well for me doing exactly the type of thing that you are planning to do. I know they are up to about Nero 11 now, but I don't know what changes they have made. Its probably even better. Nero 8 was only around $100 when I bought it. The new version may be more.