PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports ***Official 2011-2012 NHL Season Thread***

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Bearcat
11-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Avalanche beat the Stars 3-0... really needed that one.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-19-2011, 08:59 AM
ROFL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0sub8h09NRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bearcat
11-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Meant to post this the other day... amazing move.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QHQb4NjOk5M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Predarat
11-19-2011, 11:08 AM
ROFL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0sub8h09NRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Damn rookies!

Predarat
11-20-2011, 04:38 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/omNyV3ldLww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bearcat
11-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Sidney Crosby is playing tonight.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7261380/sidney-crosby-pittsburgh-penguins-return-monday-new-york-islanders

The announcement made an immediate splash. Versus quickly said it would televise the Islanders-Penguins game instead of its previously scheduled broadcast of Boston's trip to Montreal.

OnTheWarpath58
11-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Sidney Crosby is playing tonight.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7261380/sidney-crosby-pittsburgh-penguins-return-monday-new-york-islanders

Good for him, and good for the league. Hope he's back for good.

As a Blues fan, it would also be nice to see Perron get back soon. He's finally ben OK'd for contact in practice.

The Poz
11-21-2011, 10:08 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/omNyV3ldLww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Was talking with Brian yesterday, he said Boll went up to him after the game and told him that he'd never been hit so hard and he was then on his way to hospital to get his nose fixed up.

Predarat
11-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Was talking with Brian yesterday, he said Boll went up to him after the game and told him that he'd never been hit so hard and he was then on his way to hospital to get his nose fixed up.

4-0 so far, all convincing wins! Your probably already read this but there is a good article about him on HockeyFights.com.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/quickhits/entry/brian-mcgrattan-continues-impactful-comeback

Bearcat
11-21-2011, 06:22 PM
And Crosby scores on his first shot. It's the first NHL start for the Islanders' goalie... welcome to the NHL, kid.

Crosby/Pens vs rookie goalie or Patriots vs Palko/Chiefs....

OnTheWarpath58
11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
And Crosby scores on his first shot. It's the first NHL start for the Islanders' goalie... welcome to the NHL, kid.

LMAO

No shit.

Bearcat
11-21-2011, 07:14 PM
So, will the Chiefs be down 4 scores 25 minutes into their game? :hmmm:

The_Doctor10
11-21-2011, 08:00 PM

And this is why the Islanders are a shitty organization. Throw a rookie goalie to the wolves on Sidney Crosby's return night when you're paying DiPietro for another 11 years. Now I understand they don't want Brent Johnson to one-punch him again and break his face, but the decision to start #45 shines a light on the two glaring flaws in the way the team is run:

1: They don't put young players in positions to succeed
2: They're gigantic pussies.

Welcome to the NHL draft lottery, we have your usual booth prepared.

Bearcat
11-21-2011, 08:11 PM
And this is why the Islanders are a shitty organization. Throw a rookie goalie to the wolves on Sidney Crosby's return night when you're paying DiPietro for another 11 years. Now I understand they don't want Brent Johnson to one-punch him again and break his face, but the decision to start #45 shines a light on the two glaring flaws in the way the team is run:

1: They don't put young players in positions to succeed
2: They're gigantic pussies.

Welcome to the NHL draft lottery, we have your usual booth prepared.

Yeah, it's just not fair... I know DiPietro hasn't been good and got pulled last game, but putting that kid out there on this kind of stage, on the road is just about the worst thing you could do for him and the team.

The_Doctor10
11-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah, it's just not fair... I know DiPietro hasn't been good and got pulled last game, but putting that kid out there on this kind of stage, on the road is just about the worst thing you could do for him and the team.

DP could be 0-18 with a 6.43 GAA and a .298 Save %. He should still have started this game. He's a vet. He's played in playoff games (I know, nobody remembers, but I swear it's happened. Multiple times). He is better prepared to deal with this situation.

Nilsson is not. Capuano should be fired, Snow too; this is just the state of the Islanders in a microcosm.

Predarat
11-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Syd the Kid doesn't fuck around lol.

The Poz
11-22-2011, 09:04 AM
10 months off, only 16 minutes of ice time and 4 points! Ridiculous. If he stays healthy the rest of the way I don't anyone is stopping the Pens.

Demonpenz
11-22-2011, 09:22 AM
At this point I wouldn't mind the Pens for the rest of Crosbys Career just save him for big games or the playoffs.

Bearcat
11-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Erik Johnson, who was placed on IR yesterday...

GP G A PTS +/- PIM SOG % PPG PPA SHG SHA GWG TOI/G PROD
2011-12 21 0 9 9 -12 4 50 0.0 0 8 0 0 0 22:50 53:16

Stefan Elliot, Johnson's replacement, after his first NHL game last night...

2011-12 1 1 0 1 1 0 2 50.0 0 0 0 0 1 19:36 19:36

KCinNY
11-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Erik Johnson, who was placed on IR yesterday...

2011-12 21 0 9 9 -12 4 50 0.0 0 8 0 0 0 22:50 53:16

Stefan Elliot, Johnson's replacement, after his first NHL game last night...

2011-12 1 1 0 1 1 0 2 50.0 0 0 0 0 1 19:36 19:36

Avs fans are learning what we Blues fans knew all along.

EJ is a big ol' bust.

We fleeced you in that trade.

Predarat
11-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Two coaches gone, its not only college football black Monday lol.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7289699/washington-capitals-replace-bruce-boudreau-ex-team-captain-dale-hunter

And Paul Maurice is gone again, they tap into Preds farm team for replacement.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7290027/carolina-hurricanes-fire-coach-paul-maurice-amid-second-stint

HerculesRockefell
11-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Boudreau should have been fired in 2010 after the Habs beat the Caps in 7, this was a year and a half too late.

DaFace
11-28-2011, 03:23 PM

EJ is a big ol' bust.

Sadly, I think most fans suspected that from the beginning.

DJ's left nut
11-28-2011, 03:24 PM

EJ is a big ol' bust.

Fortunately for them (I guess), Chris Stewart has eaten a big ol' bowl of dicks this year himself.

Shattenkirk has been the only legitimate differencemaker of the group thus far this season. Stewart is just floating and looking a lot like the guy that got himself shipped out of Colorado last season.

I don't understand it. I wouldn't actually be shocked to see him or Berglund dealt shortly if they don't get their shit in order. Hitchock has no sacred cows.

He may end up being a lot like Keenan over the next few months. He'll deal some fan favorites (Shanny, Cujo); here's hoping he gets more Prongers than Marty Reasoners.

HerculesRockefell
11-28-2011, 03:28 PM

EJ is a big ol' bust.

And the Caps are just waiting to cash in the Top 5 pick this year they received from the Avs for a goalie who was never going to play another game for them.

DJ's left nut
11-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Holy Jesus!

The Avalanche gave up a 1st for Varlamov? I guess the Blues did something similar when they traded for Halak, but at least we had a couple years to evaluate Eller and decide his worth. To give up a 1st when you're clearly a shitty team for a goalie that was going to be non-tendered seems like a pretty stupid decision.

It makes the fact that Brian Elliot is presently playing like the best goalie in hockey that much funnier (the same Elliot that the Avs non-tendered this offseason).

Man that is a fun franchise to hate. Fucking Divealance. Call it the curse of Floppa...

Predarat
11-28-2011, 04:09 PM
The A-V-S could have got Vokoun for no picks at all.

HerculesRockefell
11-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Holy Jesus!

The Avalanche gave up a 1st for Varlamov? I guess the Blues did something similar when they traded for Halak, but at least we had a couple years to evaluate Eller and decide his worth. To give up a 1st when you're clearly a shitty team for a goalie that was going to be non-tendered seems like a pretty stupid decision.

2012 1st round pick and choice of Boston's 2012 2nd or Colorado's 2013 2nd

Rams Fan
11-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Fortunately for them (I guess), Chris Stewart has eaten a big ol' bowl of dicks this year himself.

Shattenkirk has been the only legitimate differencemaker of the group thus far this season. Stewart is just floating and looking a lot like the guy that got himself shipped out of Colorado last season.

I don't understand it. I wouldn't actually be shocked to see him or Berglund dealt shortly if they don't get their shit in order. Hitchock has no sacred cows.

He may end up being a lot like Keenan over the next few months. He'll deal some fan favorites (Shanny, Cujo); here's hoping he gets more Prongers than Marty Reasoners.

Bergland's playing well, even though it doesn't show in the box score.
I think Stewart might need to change lines.

DJ's left nut
11-28-2011, 04:26 PM
2012 1st round pick and choice of Boston's 2012 2nd or Colorado's 2013 2nd

If Gauthier keeps that GM chair, the Caps would be wise to wait until 2013.

DJ's left nut
11-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Bergland's playing well, even though it doesn't show in the box score.
I think Stewart might need to change lines.

Bergie's not playing horribly, but he's not playing well either.

He's back to the Berglund of 2 years ago that spent massive parts of the season underachieving, only to have spurts of solid play here and there.

I'm not seeing the consistent effort from him that I want to see. Berglund has the size and skill to dominate the play on the ice for large stretches of the game, yet he never does it. He's been in the league long enough now to know how.

He simply isn't progressing at the clip that a guy with his tools should be. This should be the year that he becomes a 30 goal, 70 point player. Maybe losing MacDonald has stalled him, but if anything we needed him to step up in the absence of A-Mac, not shrink from the moment.

C'mon - the kid has 1 goal and 1 assist in November. No amount of bad luck on the scoresheet can explain that kind of month from a guy with his ability. Giving him a pass is exactly why he's doing this shit again.

I think it's time we treat him as what he's been as an NHL player - an erratic forward with iffy defensive responsibility and 20-goal potential in a good year. It's time to deal with him like his NHL resume says he should be dealt with. I'm tired of giving this kid so much rope because of what he 'could' be; the bottom line is that we're in the 4th year of his career and he's shown himself to be little more than a bigger, less consistent version of Matt D'Agostini.

Rams Fan
11-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Any idea how close McRae is to being NHL ready?

DJ's left nut
11-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Any idea how close McRae is to being NHL ready?

Eh, he'll be ready to be Jay McClement in 2013.

Not much to get excited about there, IMO.

Rams Fan
11-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Eh, he'll be ready to be Jay McClement in 2013.

Not much to get excited about there, IMO.

Eh.

I think he'll be a bit better offensively than McClement.

KCinNY
11-28-2011, 11:00 PM

Shattenkirk for EJ is still an indisputable win for the Notes. Anything they get out of Stewart...and I for one haven't given up on him yet...is a bonus.

Berglund, to me, is pure frustration. That soft giveaway against Minnesota giving then an easy SH goal in a game that the Blues were controlling made me absolutely livid. Like you say...he's got a ton of gifts(size, hands and a good shot) but he's that "potential" guy that never becomes shit...alot like ol' Marty Reasoner.

Elliot's play has been nothing short of amazing. He's forcing Hitchcock to keep Halak on the bench.

Love the way Backes is playing while wearing the "C."

Really interested to see Peron back on the ice.

OnTheWarpath58
11-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Blues spoil Dale Hunter's debut as coach of the Caps - with 8 regulars out of action.

This team is rolling.

KCinNY
11-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Blues spoil Dale Hunter's debut as coach of the Caps - with 8 regulars out of action.

This team is rolling.

Pierre Turgeon approves of this post.

DJ's left nut
11-30-2011, 01:52 PM

This team is rolling.

They said that on NHL on the fly, but I'll be honest, I can't get to 8.

Perron and McDonald concussed. Petro sick and Colaiacovo is, well Colaiacovo (Though it's not like Splodeybones is ever really expected in the lineup anyway).

I guess they're counting Crombeen, so lets move up to 5 (though Crombeen is as replaceable as they get).

I sure can't get to 8. Are they really trying to call Kent Huskins, he of 9 games played for the 'note, a 33 year old journeyman who was really just waiting around for Cole to take his job, a regular? Even still, that's only 6 (and it's stupid).

We were missing 4 legitimate contributors last night. Granted, 3 of them are pretty much badasses in some way shape or form, but to overplay your hand is to weaken it; they damn sure weren't missing 8.

It was a hell of a win; these guys might be very good.

DJ's left nut
11-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Shattenkirk for EJ is still an indisputable win for the Notes. Anything they get out of Stewart...and I for one haven't given up on him yet...is a bonus.

Berglund, to me, is pure frustration. That soft giveaway against Minnesota giving then an easy SH goal in a game that the Blues were controlling made me absolutely livid. Like you say...he's got a ton of gifts(size, hands and a good shot) but he's that "potential" guy that never becomes shit...alot like ol' Marty Reasoner.

Elliot's play has been nothing short of amazing. He's forcing Hitchcock to keep Halak on the bench.

Love the way Backes is playing while wearing the "C."

Really interested to see Peron back on the ice.

So the Ducks may be ready to dangle Bobby Ryan....

Yeah, I'd ship Berglund's ass out for Bobby Ryan in a heartbeat. Who else do they want? Take Schwartz and Tarasenko out of the list and they can pick a guy from the minor league system to throw in there and have Jackman for good measure. If they need another minor leaguer to cap it off, lemme know and we'll talk.

Bobby Ryan in the Bluenote gets me rock hard.

DJ's left nut
11-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Pierre Turgeon approves of this post.

Dale Hunter can lick my taint. Cockchugger.

KCinNY
11-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Bobby Ryan in the Bluenote gets me rock hard.

Ryan would be a helluva pickup.

I'm in the minority of Blues fans in that I'm not down on Jackman. He's not flashy, but he's a good blue line partner for Shattenkirk in that he'll cover up defensively when Kevin pinches in. He's no Scott Stevens or Chris Pronger in front of the net, but he battles the opponents power forwards and is a semi-capable puck carrier. He's also a good veteran presence in the locker room.

OnTheWarpath58
11-30-2011, 03:08 PM
They said that on NHL on the fly, but I'll be honest, I can't get to 8.

Perron and McDonald concussed. Petro sick and Colaiacovo is, well Colaiacovo (Though it's not like Splodeybones is ever really expected in the lineup anyway).

I guess they're counting Crombeen, so lets move up to 5 (though Crombeen is as replaceable as they get).

I sure can't get to 8. Are they really trying to call Kent Huskins, he of 9 games played for the 'note, a 33 year old journeyman who was really just waiting around for Cole to take his job, a regular? Even still, that's only 6 (and it's stupid).

We were missing 4 legitimate contributors last night. Granted, 3 of them are pretty much badasses in some way shape or form, but to overplay your hand is to weaken it; they damn sure weren't missing 8.

It was a hell of a win; these guys might be very good.

I'm guessing they were referring to the 6 on IR plus Petro and Sobotka.

DJ's left nut
11-30-2011, 03:10 PM
I'm guessing they were referring to the 6 on IR plus Petro and Sobotka.

I was unaware that Sobotka wasn't playing; missed that one. Yeah, he's a regular as well (and has been a damn nice 3rd liner for us).

The hockey gods hate this freakin' franchise...

Bearcat
12-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Didn't take long for Boudreau to find a new job...

The Anaheim Ducks have fired coach Randy Carlyle and hired former Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau. (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/story/_/id/7301419/anaheim-ducks-fire-coach-randy-carlyle-hire-bruce-boudreau)

Bearcat
12-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Oh yeah, Stefan Elliot had another goal last night... 3 points in 3 games since replacing Erik Johnson, and more importantly, I haven't once asked "has this guy played hockey before tonight?"

DJ's left nut
12-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Didn't take long for Boudreau to find a new job...

The Anaheim Ducks have fired coach Randy Carlyle and hired former Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau. (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/story/_/id/7301419/anaheim-ducks-fire-coach-randy-carlyle-hire-bruce-boudreau)

Damn.

Was hoping he'd sit the year out and the Blues would make a run at him in the offseason. I'm not sure Hitch wants to coach more than the remainder of the year (there have been rumblings suggesting as such).

Bearcat
12-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Unrelated, but I saw on the Jumbotron the Mavericks are coming to Nashville for a game agains Alabama-Huntsville. Hope I will be able to make that!

Well, if you showed up tonight, you were one step ahead of the Mavericks. UAH had scored 12 goals going into tonight (TWELVE! UNO had 44), shutout 7 times and only scored 1 goal 5 other times... 0-14-1.... and beat the supposed 3rd best team in the WCHA 3-1. :cuss:

UNO's had a really bad habit of playing down to their competition, but JFC... UAH isn't even going to have a hockey team next year. :facepalm:

And the Blues look good... if I didn't hate them, I'd watch them so I could listen to Darren Pang. Fuck.

Bearcat
12-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Skills competition FTW!

Rams Fan
12-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Halak was good for the most part tonight.

Perron is back tomorrow!

OnTheWarpath58
12-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Halak was good for the most part tonight.

Perron is back tomorrow!

Trying desperately to score some seats for tonight without much luck.

OnTheWarpath58
12-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Perron's first shot?

Goal.

Predarat
12-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Well, if you showed up tonight, you were one step ahead of the Mavericks. UAH had scored 12 goals going into tonight (TWELVE! UNO had 44), shutout 7 times and only scored 1 goal 5 other times... 0-14-1.... and beat the supposed 3rd best team in the WCHA 3-1. :cuss:

UNO's had a really bad habit of playing down to their competition, but JFC... UAH isn't even going to have a hockey team next year. :facepalm:

And the Blues look good... if I didn't hate them, I'd watch them so I could listen to Darren Pang. ****.

Wish I could have gone, things have been crazy around here lol.

Bearcat
12-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Miller's first game back from a concussion...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pc0tQGwTHH4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bearcat
12-04-2011, 11:04 PM
And here's an article on possible realignment... will be interesting to see what happens this week at the NHL meetings...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7317327/what-realignment-scenarios-table-week-bog-meetings

I'd like them to balance the schedule... Bettman's idea a few years ago that included more division games and East/West teams playing once per year was ridiculous.

Four-Conference Scenario

Here's how things may look in a four-conference set-up given what various NHL sources have suggested to ESPN.com's Scott Burnside:

Conference No. 1
Boston
Buffalo
Florida
Montreal
Ottawa
Tampa Bay
Toronto

Conference No. 2
Carolina
New Jersey
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

Conference No. 3
Anaheim
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

Conference No. 4
Chicago
Columbus
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

DJ's left nut
12-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Well, Elliot was due for a stinkbomb at some point.

Then again, our special teams continued to suck, so its hard to blame him (he wasn't good, but he wasn't terrible either).

Welcome to the season, David. You are one of my favorites, so keep your head on swivel and kick some ass for us.

Get back on the horse vs. Detroit and all is forgiven.

Predarat
12-05-2011, 11:24 AM
And here's an article on possible realignment... will be interesting to see what happens this week at the NHL meetings...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7317327/what-realignment-scenarios-table-week-bog-meetings

I'd like them to balance the schedule... Bettman's idea a few years ago that included more division games and East/West teams playing once per year was ridiculous.

Before they do anything too drastic, they need to make sure the teams are relitivly stableized so they do not have to re align again. Pheonix, NYI and Columbus are at the top of that list.

Bearcat
12-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Before they do anything too drastic, they need to make sure the teams are relitivly stableized so they do not have to re align again. Pheonix, NYI and Columbus are at the top of that list.

Yeah, that's probably the biggest reason they would opt for minor changes now... swap Winnipeg with Detroit or Columbus and be done with it. If they try to listen to every team, there ends up being a huge domino effect that makes it easier to just start over... Winnipeg needs to be out of the Southeast, Detroit wants to go East, Columbus probably wants to go East, Dallas wants out of the Pacific, Minnesota would probably like to be in the Central...

If KC ends somehow ends up with Phoenix or the Inlanders™, they could play road games in Europe for all I care (granted, I probably wouldn't pay $3000 for season tickets if NYI's front office wasn't completely gutted before moving here).

Predarat
12-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Yeah, that's probably the biggest reason they would opt for minor changes now... swap Winnipeg with Detroit or Columbus and be done with it. If they try to listen to every team, there ends up being a huge domino effect that makes it easier to just start over... Winnipeg needs to be out of the Southeast, Detroit wants to go East, Columbus probably wants to go East, Dallas wants out of the Pacific, Minnesota would probably like to be in the Central...

If KC ends somehow ends up with Phoenix or the Inlanders™, they could play road games in Europe for all I care (granted, I probably wouldn't pay $3000 for season tickets if NYI's front office wasn't completely gutted before moving here).

And with the way some of the markets go up and down on a whim it may never truly stableize. Would love to see the NHL in the Sprint Center.

Bearcat
12-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Would love to see the NHL in the Sprint Center.

I would JIMP, then would have to start donating it so I could afford season tickets and all the pregames at Flying Saucer. :drool:

DJ's left nut
12-05-2011, 04:59 PM
And with the way some of the markets go up and down on a whim it may never truly stableize. Would love to see the NHL in the Sprint Center.

I just don't see KC having enough money in it to support 3 professional sports teams.

Every one of the studies you see on this tends to rank KC as among the most 'over-extended' professional sports cities. The KC sports scene has been cyclical for a couple of decades now, so fans tend to just spend money on whoever is decent.

However, if you have 3 teams in the mix, you increase the likelihood that 2 of them will be pretty good at once. At that point, you're unlikely to get capacity crowds for either due to the relative paucity of resources.

KC will simply become a mediocre professional sports city at that point, IMO. You'll never get Arrowhead back to where it was. You'll likely never go back to drawing 3 million + at the K again and after the original novelty wears off, I doubt Sprint would be able to do much more than 700K annually either. Any forget casual fans spending any more money on Sporting Kansas City gear; that'll end up a hardcore soccer fan clique only.

Hockey is my favorite live sport, but I really don't think another professional sports team will thrive in KC and it will likely greatly damage the prospects of the two existing franchises. There just isn't enough money there.

Bearcat
12-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I just don't see KC having enough money in it to support 3 professional sports teams.

Every one of the studies you see on this tends to rank KC as among the most 'over-extended' professional sports cities. The KC sports scene has been cyclical for a couple of decades now, so fans tend to just spend money on whoever is decent.

However, if you have 3 teams in the mix, you increase the likelihood that 2 of them will be pretty good at once. At that point, you're unlikely to get capacity crowds for either due to the relative paucity of resources.

KC will simply become a mediocre professional sports city at that point, IMO. You'll never get Arrowhead back to where it was. You'll likely never go back to drawing 3 million + at the K again and after the original novelty wears off, I doubt Sprint would be able to do much more than 700K annually either. Any forget casual fans spending any more money on Sporting Kansas City gear; that'll end up a hardcore soccer fan clique only.

Hockey is my favorite live sport, but I really don't think another professional sports team will thrive in KC and it will likely greatly damage the prospects of the two existing franchises. There just isn't enough money there.

I've wanted to research that stuff some more... IIRC, the article I read said #1 Denver was short the amount it takes to support an MLB team or 2 of their other major franchises, which seems harsh, since I thought they were at least in the middle of the pack in attendance for the 4 major sports. And I believe if KC added an NHL team, they would have a deficit equal to Denver's.

I don't think the Chiefs would suffer as much, but it would definitely put more pressure on them and the other teams to earn fans' disposable income. And you're probably right... the NHL team would probably be in the middle of the pack to the bottom 3rd (Phoenix and NYI have both been in the bottom 3 for the past few years, so it would hopefully at least be an improvement from what they currently draw). 'Medicore' is probably a good word for it, unless they did something like the Avalanche and won the Cup right away.

Bearcat
12-05-2011, 09:02 PM
NHL approves radical realignment plan (http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7321214/nhl-approves-radical-four-conference-alignment-plan)

Apparently it's going to look like this, with everyone playing each other at least twice...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5MguuCDHHeo/Tt2BvHWIa2I/AAAAAAAAHcA/w7wwWtgEGLY/s1600/ScreenHunter_04+Dec.+04+21.18.gif

KC_Connection
12-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Changing the playoff format too, it appears: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382065

In the seven-team Conferences, teams would play six times -- three home, three away. In the eight-team Conferences, a bit more manoeuvering would be required.

Teams in the conferences of eight would play either five or six times per season on a rotating basis; three teams would play each other six times and four teams would play each other five times. This process would reverse each season.

The top four teams in each Conference would qualify for the playoffs. The first-place team would play the fourth-place team; the second-place team would play the third-place team. The four respective Conference champions would meet in the third round of the Playoffs, with the survivors playing for the Stanley Cup.

The division winners would be re-seeded for the Conference Finals based on regular season points totals. This opens up the possibility that two teams that are currently in the same conference could conceivably play each other in the Stanley Cup Final.

Looks very favorable for the Leafs, so I don't mind.

ChiefsCountry
12-05-2011, 09:23 PM

Meh. St. Louis does just fine and Kansas City is identical in market size but Topeka and St. Joseph never get counted in because of their own size. Not to mention fans in Wichita, Omaha, Des Moines, Springfield, Tulsa, and Northwest Arkansas. All good size markets within a 3 to 4 hour drive from Kansas City.

Bearcat
12-05-2011, 09:24 PM
I like it. Ever since they came out with the new format, I've thought it was asinine to have an 82 game schedule with some teams only playing in certain arenas once every two years. There's no perfect solution, so at least rivalries like the Wings/Avs will still get a home and home each year.

It looks like everyone got what they wanted as far as travel and time zones, except the Florida teams were kind of SOL.

Predarat
12-05-2011, 09:39 PM
The thing I don't like is the playoff format, the 8 team divisions have a disadvantage. I would not mind it if they expanded or contracted two teams, but I doubt either happens. Or come up with a different playoff format.

Bearcat
12-06-2011, 09:53 AM
The thing I don't like is the playoff format, the 8 team divisions have a disadvantage. I would not mind it if they expanded or contracted two teams, but I doubt either happens. Or come up with a different playoff format.

They were talking about how the alignment leaves room for expansion and how the NHL has it's mind set on it, but it doesn't seem like a great idea to me. They should move Phoenix and NYI, and are there two more cities after that? I know there have been rumors about Portland, KC, Las Vegas... and maybe there's a Canadian city or two?

I'd just hate to see the talent spread too thin... there's a lot of really good hockey being played right now, and even if it makes business sense to expand to 32, I'm not sure it makes sense in terms of the product on the ice. I think 28-30 is perfect for the time being. Just look at all the mediocrity and bad football being played in the NFL, since there are clearly not enough good QBs and talent to go around.

KC_Connection
12-06-2011, 11:08 AM
You could always support two teams in Toronto, though the Leafs would fight hard against such an expansion.

Predarat
12-06-2011, 11:13 AM
One thing they could do is only let the top 3 in the "East" teams with 7 divisions and make two wildcard teams. That would be acceptable.

Predarat
12-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Miller's first game back from a concussion...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pc0tQGwTHH4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tootoo got 2 games for that, Lucic of Boston who caused the concussion a few weeks ago got 0. Thats bullshit! Not saying 22 did not deserve a suspension but Lucic deserves worse.

KCtotheSB
12-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Changing the playoff format too, it appears: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382065

Looks very favorable for the Leafs, so I don't mind.

From a Penguin fan standpoint, I'm a huge fan of the new alignment.
Rivalries with the Capitals and Flyers should be even more intense.

As a fan of the NHL in general, this is even more awesome. The idea that only one team comes out of each division to the Final Four is a great idea. Best course of action would be to reseed the Final Four by points and have 1v4 and 2v3. Travel may be a pain for a team or two, but in the end we might have Stanley Cup Finals between the Bruins/Flyers or Blackhawks/Canucks.

Only bad part would have to be the two Florida teams having to trek all the ways up to the Northeast to play divisional games, but for all the positives this new alignment brings it was a necessary evil.

Predarat
12-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Everyone from the two 7 team divisions should love the new playoff system.

Bearcat
12-06-2011, 02:14 PM
From a Penguin fan standpoint, I'm a huge fan of the new alignment.
Rivalries with the Capitals and Flyers should be even more intense.

As a fan of the NHL in general, this is even more awesome. The idea that only one team comes out of each division to the Final Four is a great idea. Best course of action would be to reseed the Final Four by points and have 1v4 and 2v3. Travel may be a pain for a team or two, but in the end we might have Stanley Cup Finals between the Bruins/Flyers or Blackhawks/Canucks.

Only bad part would have to be the two Florida teams having to trek all the ways up to the Northeast to play divisional games, but for all the positives this new alignment brings it was a necessary evil.

Yeah, it would be really strange to see East/West semifinals, or a Cup Final between two teams that are currently in the same conference. I like the idea of reseeding... OTOH, not reseeding and using more of a division alignment might help to keep fans' attention across the country, instead of ending up with a Canucks/Sharks or Bruins/Flyers Final that's not followed by many fans outside of that region.

I've already mentioned it, but my favorite part is the change to play every team at least twice. The guys on Versus were talking about the possibility of teams and fans getting tired of seeing the same teams over and over, but hell, this season I think I've already seen the Flames/Avalanche 3 or 4 times.... and the Avs went to Boston at the beginning of the season and don't play them again.

Predarat
12-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Now I will only get to see the A-V-S once a year, and the damn ducks.

OnTheWarpath58
12-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Goddamn, folks. The Blues might be for real.

Elliott with another shutout. Went to the game tonight, and that's three straight shutouts when I'm attending. (Lightning, Flames, Sharks)

This team is fun to watch again.

(well, tonight wasn't, until the horn sounded - brutal game)

chiefs1111
12-15-2011, 09:15 PM
The good news. The Flyers win their seventh straight 4-3 over the Habs. Bad news,Pronger is out the season and likely out of the playoffs as well.

OnTheWarpath58
12-15-2011, 09:30 PM
The good news. The Flyers win their seventh straight 4-3 over the Habs. Bad news,Pronger is out the season and likely out of the playoffs as well.

They've ruled him out due to the concussion already?

Or did he play tonight?

OnTheWarpath58
12-15-2011, 09:31 PM
Oh, and the Blues just owned a really good Rangers team.

4-1. Elliott solid again.

Can't wait to see how this plays on 24/7 next week.

ChiefsCountry
12-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Blues put it to the Rangers tonight. Elliott is now 13-2.

Rams Fan
12-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Goddamn, folks. The Blues might be for real.

Elliott with another shutout. Went to the game tonight, and that's three straight shutouts when I'm attending. (Lightning, Flames, Sharks)

This team is fun to watch again.

(well, tonight wasn't, until the horn sounded - brutal game)

I think you can cross off the might be. They ARE real.

ChiefsCountry
12-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Good thing its not next year yet, Blues wouldn't be making the playoffs even with the record they have now.

NJChiefsFan
12-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Devils retire the jersey of my favorite player Friday. Can't wait. Hope it is as much fun as the Dano and Stevens nights were.

chiefs1111
12-15-2011, 11:54 PM
They've ruled him out due to the concussion already?

Or did he play tonight?

They ruled him because of the concussion. Said he will miss the rest of the season and playoff's as well. I like Pronger but he has had some injury issues the last couple seasons here and is 37 years old I believe. Maybe it's time he thinks about retiring.

Pushead2
12-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Devils retire the jersey of my favorite player Friday. Can't wait. Hope it is as much fun as the Dano and Stevens nights were.

My favorite athlete of all time. I've grown up watching him play Defense & that's what I play in my league.

I can't wait to see them hoist the banner with his 27 up.

Pushead2
12-16-2011, 12:13 AM
They ruled him because of the concussion. Said he will miss the rest of the season and playoff's as well. I like Pronger but he has had some injury issues the last couple seasons here and is 37 years old I believe. Maybe it's time he thinks about retiring.

I agree - I think he should hang the skates up.

NJChiefsFan
12-16-2011, 12:15 AM
My favorite athlete of all time. I've grown up watching him play Defense & that's what I play in my league.

I can't wait to see them hoist the banner with his 27 up.

He always was a class act. Going to be interesting to hear him speak. A man of few words and only got emotional at certain times, like the time he got sucker-punched in the late 90's.

Hurt to see him leave for the Ducks, but it was for family not money. Can't hate him for that. Can't wait to get my mini banner to put next to Dano's and Steven's.

DJ's left nut
12-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Good thing its not next year yet, Blues wouldn't be making the playoffs even with the record they have now.

Minn. will fall off, IMO.

But yeah, that quad-conference alignment absolutely blows.

ChiefsCountry
12-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Minn. will fall off, IMO.

But yeah, that quad-conference alignment absolutely blows.

That is the only downside to it IMO.

Demonpenz
12-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Penguins penguins penguins

Predarat
12-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Awesome comeback win for the Preds last night over the Red Wings. HUGE game Sat vs the Blues. I cannot wait, hope its a playoff atmosphere. 22Tootoo is on fire!

DJ's left nut
12-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Awesome comeback win for the Preds last night over the Red Wings. HUGE game Sat vs the Blues. I cannot wait, hope its a playoff atmosphere. 22Tootoo is on fire!

Jordin Tootoo is a dirty cocksucker that should die in a fire.

Tell that midget motherfucker that it's okay to hit someone without leaping into them.

Predarat
12-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Jordin Tootoo is a dirty one who sucks the penis that should die in a fire.

Tell that midget mother****er that it's okay to hit someone without leaping into them.
You must really hate Lucic then. Tootoo is pretty much hated by everyone except Preds fans. He is still not as cheap as Avery or ButtTuzi.

DJ's left nut
12-16-2011, 03:29 PM
You must really hate Lucic then. Tootoo is pretty much hated by everyone except Preds fans. He is still not as cheap as Avery or ButtTuzi.

The goalie hit isn't why I hate Tootoo. that said, Tootoo's shot on the goalie was no better than Lucic's. In fact I think Lucic's was less reckless in that the goalie wasn't in the crease and Lucic didn't hit him nearly as hard as he made it seem.

Tootoo had absolutely no alternative but to drill that goalie. How the hell one can fly at the goalie like that then be surprised when he gets checked is beyond me. There wasn't any true intent behind it, but with Tootoo there often isn't. He's just a braindead jackass that doesn't bother to think about the consequences of whatever stupid thing it is he's about to do.

And not being as cheap as Avery or Bertuzzi is like being a better humanitarian than Hitler and Pol Pot. No, Tootoo isn't as bad as either of those assclowns, but his still a cheap-shot artist that needs to learn to keep his elbows down and his skates on the ice. We have enough concussion cases without that guy bouncing around being an idiot.

Predarat
12-16-2011, 03:56 PM
The goalie hit isn't why I hate Tootoo. that said, Tootoo's shot on the goalie was no better than Lucic's. In fact I think Lucic's was less reckless in that the goalie wasn't in the crease and Lucic didn't hit him nearly as hard as he made it seem.

Tootoo had absolutely no alternative but to drill that goalie. How the hell one can fly at the goalie like that then be surprised when he gets checked is beyond me. There wasn't any true intent behind it, but with Tootoo there often isn't. He's just a braindead jackass that doesn't bother to think about the consequences of whatever stupid thing it is he's about to do.

And not being as cheap as Avery or Bertuzzi is like being a better humanitarian than Hitler and Pol Pot. No, Tootoo isn't as bad as either of those assclowns, but his still a cheap-shot artist that needs to learn to keep his elbows down and his skates on the ice. We have enough concussion cases without that guy bouncing around being an idiot.

To his credit he has cleaned up his game alot since he went into the SA program last season. He is contributing alot more offensively and getting more ice time, and time on penalties as well. He still is an edgy player though. But you are right, he should not be surprised on the reaction of the Sabres players jumping his ass. If that had happened the opposite I would want the Preds to jump whoever did that myself.

DJ's left nut
12-16-2011, 04:02 PM
To his credit he has cleaned up his game alot since he went into the SA program last season. He is contributing alot more offensively and getting more ice time, and time on penalties as well. He still is an edgy player though. But you are right, he should not be surprised on the reaction of the Sabres players jumping his ass. If that had happened the opposite I would want the Preds to jump whoever did that myself.

I have noticed significantly fewer reasons for wanting to hit him with my car lately.

So yeah, he must've toned it down a little. So I guess I can give him credit there.

But don't get me wrong, I'd still hit him with my car, if for no other reason than his shot on Backman a few years ago. Just a completely unnecessary cheap shot that required Backman to get his knee scoped; kid was never the same.

Predarat
12-16-2011, 04:18 PM
What the Fuck Milbury, very distubing news:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/16/milbury-charged-in-youth-game-incident/related/

Predarat
12-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Preds vs Blues, tonight, should be a good one, both teams are close in the standings!

ChiefsCountry
12-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Great game between the Blues and Preds. Preds get the win in the shootout. Blues outshot the Preds big time tonight, just couldn't convert on the powerplay.

Predarat
12-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Rinne was a monster! Good exciting game, it seemed like the Preds were killing penalties all night long. This division is going to be tough!

NJChiefsFan
12-18-2011, 01:02 AM
Habs fans booing the hell out of their team as Elias takes over career goals for Devils. Fun games all around the league tonight.

chiefs1111
12-18-2011, 01:09 AM
Flyers got their asses kicked 6-0 by the Bruins today. Seven game win streak snapped

KCtotheSB
12-18-2011, 02:42 AM
Flyers got their asses kicked 6-0 by the Bruins today. Seven game win streak snapped

KCtotheSB likes this.

Meanwhile, the Pens blast the Sabres 8-3.

NJChiefsFan
12-18-2011, 03:56 AM
KCtotheSB likes this.

Meanwhile, the Pens blast the Sabres 8-3.

I hate everything Atlantic Division that isn't the Devils, but I have to give it to your team. Even without your stars you just keep going. I do hate Fluery though. Just don't like the goalies that take off to the corner of the rink after every goal allowed. I get the theory of why, just bothers me.

Bearcat
12-18-2011, 10:36 AM
I hate everything Atlantic Division that isn't the Devils, but I have to give it to your team. Even without your stars you just keep going. I do hate Fluery though. Just don't like the goalies that take off to the corner of the rink after every goal allowed. I get the theory of why, just bothers me.

Random question... do Devils fans generally like Chico Resch?

Otter
12-18-2011, 11:01 AM

Knew it was coming but hoping it would't be in epic fashion.

CanadaKC
12-18-2011, 11:46 AM
watching the Canucks bitchslap the Maple leafs last night was sweet...I thought Brian Burke was going to have a cornary when Jannick Hansen made Pheneuf look like a fool on the last goal.

Predarat
12-18-2011, 09:47 PM
I wonder who the next coach to get canned will be?

ChiefsCountry
12-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Avs are up 2-0 on the Blues end of 1st period.

DJ's left nut
12-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Nasty loss.

Shoddy first period goaltending and a still miserable power play doomed the Blues. I really hate seeing them battle back from down 2-0, tie it then give up a quick one and get blanked in the 3rd.

That's a loss they need to bounce back from quickly, IMO. Another loss their next time out and it can snowball.

ChiefsCountry
12-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Nasty loss.

Shoddy first period goaltending and a still miserable power play doomed the Blues. I really hate seeing them battle back from down 2-0, tie it then give up a quick one and get blanked in the 3rd.

That's a loss they need to bounce back from quickly, IMO. Another loss their next time out and it can snowball.

Blues have lost 6 straight in Denver if I heard them right last night.

Predarat
12-22-2011, 12:10 PM
The west is starting to return to normalcy, once Vancouver dethrones Minny it will look the way it should be with the Sharks dethroning Dallas. But the Stars goalie situation has not been of much help. The Yotes may be facing the same problem.

Predarat
12-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Awesome comeback by the Preds tonight, down 1-4 then 2-5, tieing the game with a little over three minutes, winning the game with 9 seconds left, totally awesome! That 5 min on McGratton was bullshit though!

NJChiefsFan
12-23-2011, 01:13 AM

We love him like you would love a crazy old uncle at a family party. Him and Doc, up until he left this year, won over fans with two things. First they really don't have egos, but two, they are the most approachable people you will ever meet.

He is a mad man, quite possibly drunk at all times. He is a huge homer, but to be fair, he is a homer for almost anyone. He doesn't really rip away team players either. He has a man-crush on every goalie who has ever played.

I can understand why random fans are bothered by him. If you listen to him all the time he grows on you. He is a huge homer, but as far as color guys go, you won't find many in the league that are as nice to the opposing team as he is. He basically gives all nhl players the benifit of the doubt on any play that happens.

Because of his madness, or being drunk, he says some of the funniest and random shit you will ever hear. He is never trying to be funny, but he usually says something that doesn't make sense or makes some insane noise once a game. Doc was a perfect fit for him. The new guy, Cangelosi, is horrible.

NJChiefsFan
12-23-2011, 01:30 AM

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4NMil88bDJg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4NMil88bDJg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1HmIyaBq3Bk?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1HmIyaBq3Bk?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Wish I could find better ones. The Chico Eats were funny as hell. The guy is just out of his mind, but its enoyable. If he was a jerk it would be a different story.

Predarat
12-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Hey guys, no 3 point game tonight please!

KCtotheSB
12-28-2011, 10:42 AM
ESPN had a "Year in Review" segment and reflected on those athletes lost in the last year. Yet for some reason that only those idiots at ESPN can figure out, they left out Wade Belak, Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien as well as the entire Lokomotiv Yaroslavl KHL team that was lost in a plane crash. I honestly think I'm done watching ESPN outside of Monday Night Football. There are roughly 15 more impressive plays in a 1-0 hockey game then there is watching some "look at me!" jackass dunk a basketball in a hoop.

Predarat
12-28-2011, 12:16 PM
That is awful they left all that out. Like you said the only thing worth watching is Football and sometimes Rome. Hopefully that new NBC sports station will be a good break from ESPN and feature more hockey. Then again it is NBC, they screw up everything.

Bearcat
01-01-2012, 10:26 AM
We love him like you would love a crazy old uncle at a family party. Him and Doc, up until he left this year, won over fans with two things. First they really don't have egos, but two, they are the most approachable people you will ever meet.

He is a mad man, quite possibly drunk at all times. He is a huge homer, but to be fair, he is a homer for almost anyone. He doesn't really rip away team players either. He has a man-crush on every goalie who has ever played.

I can understand why random fans are bothered by him. If you listen to him all the time he grows on you. He is a huge homer, but as far as color guys go, you won't find many in the league that are as nice to the opposing team as he is. He basically gives all nhl players the benifit of the doubt on any play that happens.

Because of his madness, or being drunk, he says some of the funniest and random shit you will ever hear. He is never trying to be funny, but he usually says something that doesn't make sense or makes some insane noise once a game. Doc was a perfect fit for him. The new guy, Cangelosi, is horrible.

LMAO

The first time I heard him, there was just something about his voice that was annoying... but yeah, he seems like a good guy and a huge homer.

Bearcat
01-01-2012, 10:35 AM
A few pics from the Blackhawks/Kings game Wednesday night. Sat in the first row for the first time. We were right on the blue line, so the ref got in the way quite a bit, but it was great to watch the speed of the game from that close.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/IMG_20111228_221124.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/IMG_20111228_215537.jpg http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/IMG_20111228_215549.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/IMG_20111228_193832.jpg http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/IMG_20111228_194622.jpg

DaFace
01-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Anybody catching the Winter Classic today? The NHL doesn't do a lot of showcase games aside from the Cup Finals, but I always enjoy this game just because it's a little different.

I keep dreaming that they'll do it in Denver one of these years, but the fact that it's gonna be near 60 here today is probably evidence of why they won't.

Bearcat
01-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Yep... part of a full day of CFB and hockey.

UNO is playing in an outdoor game against North Dakota in Omaha next February, so that will be interesting. And cold.

DaFace
01-02-2012, 02:21 PM
It's gotta be kinda fun to be a hockey player at a game with a flyover.

KCtotheSB
01-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Winter Classic is always awesome to watch. Although I could have done without these two fucking teams....

DaFace
01-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Man...the puck's bouncing all over the place, but that was a great feed on net by 25.

DaFace
01-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Damn...and just like that, we've got a fun game going.

DaFace
01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Couple of quick goals, and the Rangers are suddenly in the lead. Fun game, don't you think?

DaFace
01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Couple of quick goals, and the Rangers are suddenly in the lead. Fun game, don't you think?

Oh yeah, totally agree.

DaFace
01-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Oh yeah, totally agree.

I'm glad you're in here so I don't feel like I'm talking to myself.

DaFace
01-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm glad you're in here so I don't feel like I'm talking to myself.

Yep. It gets all lonely sometimes. :sulk:

Bearcat
01-02-2012, 04:34 PM
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj107/ChoklitReign/bye.gif

mlyonsd
01-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Yep. It gets all lonely sometimes. :sulk:In the shop, have the hockey game on one tv and the Rose Bowl on the second.

Hockey at all levels rocks.

Rams Fan
01-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Fucking Tortorella.

DJ's left nut
01-02-2012, 04:38 PM
It's as though the hockey gods just aren't very observant...

For several years now it seems as though the Blues get some momentum and the hockey gods just don't see it. Then after about a month of it, they finally flip to FSMW and notice "oh shit - The Blues are doing well! We can't have that!" - boom; crappiness ensues.

This won't end until Scotty Bowman dies...

Bearcat
01-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Exciting stuff.

DaFace
01-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Fun end to the game, though the officiating in the last 5 minutes was as awful as I've ever seen.

Bearcat
01-03-2012, 09:29 AM
The Avalanche are in the final playoff spot! PBJ

Okay, so they're one point ahead of the Sharks while having played six more games, and they're 1-2 games ahead of everyone around them.... but..... they're in the final playoff spot!!

Predarat
01-03-2012, 09:45 AM
The Avalanche are in the final playoff spot! PBJ

Okay, so they're one point ahead of the Sharks while having played six more games, and they're 1-2 games ahead of everyone around them.... but..... they're in the final playoff spot!!

They are playing damn well and if they keep it up they will keep rising!

Bearcat
01-03-2012, 10:01 AM
They are playing damn well and if they keep it up they will keep rising!

They're 7-0 in shootouts, and I wouldn't be surprised if all 7 opportunities were due to a late game tying goal by the Avs. They're only home for a few games in January and have a fairly tough stretch coming up, so I'm hoping they don't go down in flames like last year.

Bearcat
01-05-2012, 08:22 PM
If the Bruins weren't already in Beast Mode... they beat the Devils 6-1 last night and are beating the Flames 9-0 with Rask in net right now.

Blackhawks/Flyers has been good... can't believe Versus or NHLN didn't pick it up.

chiefs1111
01-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Flyers retake the lead with 32.8 left wow

chiefs1111
01-05-2012, 08:26 PM
wow,what a crazy game this was

Bearcat
01-05-2012, 08:30 PM
They seem like the same old Flyers, with the eternal hope for better goaltending... not sure they'll get that far in the playoffs, but they're entertaining.

DJ's left nut
01-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Damn entertaining game in STL - though the Blues should be stomping this Edmonton squad.

Ryan Smyth can die in a fire - it was pretty funny watching Jackman punch him in the back of the head a couple of times and get away with it both times. Dick.

Bearcat
01-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Holy shit, I flipped to Russia/Sweden when the Blues went to intermission, and never went back to it.

DaFace
01-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Kind of a sweet/sad pic.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/388770_10150490469858472_99917438471_8993449_1612267227_n.jpg

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/01/05/the-anaheim-ducks-are-officially-a-top-notch-organization-in-my-books/

Bearcat
01-07-2012, 12:06 AM
This sucks...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610343

The National Hockey League announced today that it will not move forward with implementation of the Realignment Plan and modified Playoff Format recently approved by the NHL Board of Governors for the 2012-13 NHL season because the NHLPA has refused to provide its consent.

"It is unfortunate that the NHLPA has unreasonably refused to approve a Plan that an overwhelming majority of our Clubs voted to support, and that has received such widespread support from our fans and other members of the hockey community, including Players," said NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly. "We have now spent the better part of four weeks attempting to satisfy the NHLPA’s purported concerns with the Plan with no success. Because we have already been forced to delay, and as a result are already late in beginning the process of preparing next season’s schedule, we have no choice but to abandon our intention to implement the Realignment Plan and modified Playoff Format for next season."

"We believe the Union acted unreasonably in violation of the League’s rights. We intend to evaluate all of our available legal options and to pursue adequate remedies, as appropriate."

As a result of the League’s decision today, the NHL will maintain its current alignment and Playoff Format for the 2012-13 season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/13590/nhlpas-statement-on-delayed-realignment

NHLPA's statement on delayed realignment
January, 6, 2012
Jan 6
10:03
PM ET

Complete and unedited release from the NHLPA regarding the NHLPA's decision to deny consent to realignment for 2012-13.

STATEMENT FROM NHLPA EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
DON FEHR REGARDING PROPOSED NHL REALIGNMENT

Toronto (January 6, 2012) -- National Hockey League Players' Association (NHLPA) Executive Director Don Fehr issued the following statement this evening regarding the League’s realignment proposal:

“On the evening of December 5, 2011, the NHL informed the NHLPA that they proposed to put in place a four-conference format beginning with the 2012-13 season. As realignment affects Players’ terms and conditions of employment, the CBA requires the League to obtain the NHLPA’s consent before implementation. Over the last month, we have had several discussions with the League and extensive dialogue with Players, most recently on an Executive Board conference call on January 1. Two substantial Player concerns emerged: (1) whether the new structure would result in increased and more onerous travel; and (2) the disparity in chances of making the playoffs between the smaller and larger divisions.

In order to evaluate the effect on travel of the proposed new structure, we requested a draft or sample 2012-13 schedule, showing travel per team. We were advised it was not possible for the League to do that. We also suggested reaching an agreement on scheduling conditions to somewhat alleviate Player travel concerns (e.g., the scheduling of more back-to-back games, more difficult and lengthier road trips, number of border crossings, etc.), but the League did not want to enter into such a dialogue. The travel estimation data we received from the League indicates that many of the current Pacific and Central teams, that have demanding travel schedules under the current format, could see their travel become even more difficult. On the playoff qualification matter, we suggested discussing ways to eliminate the inherent differences in the proposed realignment, but the League was not willing to do so.

The League set a deadline of January 6, 2012 for the NHLPA to provide its consent to the NHL’s proposal. Players’ questions about travel and concerns about the playoff format have not been sufficiently addressed; as such, we are not able to provide our consent to the proposal at this time. We continue to be ready and willing to have further discussions should the League be willing to do so.”

DaFace
01-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Unions suck.

ChiefsCountry
01-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Wow they have a realingnment plan that actually made sense and the idiot union vetoed it.

Bearcat
01-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Well, I was hoping the Avalanche would get two points tonight so they could jump the free-falling Wild... but, after shutting out the Blackhawks last night, I figured it was a bit too much to ask.

Still plenty of time though... they've won a few games after being down by 3 or more.

Rams Fan
01-10-2012, 08:43 PM
What Hitchcock has done with this team, and how they have been playing since he took over, is absolutely amazing.

DaFace
01-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Avs coming out with a resounding "blah" tonight.

Rams Fan
01-10-2012, 08:50 PM
The Blues leading player in points has the 74th most points in the NHL.

DJ's left nut
01-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Well, I was hoping the Avalanche would get two points tonight so they could jump the free-falling Wild... but, after shutting out the Blackhawks last night, I figured it was a bit too much to ask.

Still plenty of time though... they've won a few games after being down by 3 or more.

Not gonna lie - got a kick out of EJ pussing out of that one early and Shattenkirk pretty much owning the 'lanche. And the shutout from Elliot was pretty slick as well, not to mention Stewart pushing the action.

The former 'lanche really kicked the hell out of you guys.

Predarat
01-11-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm glad they vetod the realignment, but I think it was for the wrong reasons. They do need to fix that playoff system, they need 15 in the East, 15 in the West so just move Columbus and that is fixed. Then fix the East, the 'gerrmymandered' divison needs to be scraped all together and come up with two new divisions. Then go back to the 1-8 in each conference playoff system instead of 1-4 in each conference. Maybe let the top two in each division take the top 4 seads in the conference, the the other four are wildcards.

Rams Fan
01-14-2012, 02:06 PM
I'd like to point out that penalty on Backes was bull shit.

Predarat
01-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Cannot wait for the game tonight, Flyers vs Preds!

Predarat
01-21-2012, 06:16 PM
6-12 very tight in the west, going to be a close finish! Not many sellers for the trade deadline.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/group/2

DaFace
01-21-2012, 06:30 PM
6-12 very tight in the west, going to be a close finish! Not many sellers for the trade deadline.

It's gonna be fun, for sure. I'm crossing my fingers that the Avs are actually going to make a late season run rather than late season flop this year. If nothing else, we're at least getting some guys hot at the right time.

Predarat
01-21-2012, 06:40 PM
It's gonna be fun, for sure. I'm crossing my fingers that the Avs are actually going to make a late season run rather than late season flop this year. If nothing else, we're at least getting some guys hot at the right time.

They are looking better then last season, they do look primed for a run. It would help if the would stop being so stubborn about Varlamov, I know they gave up a fair amont for him but the better guy needs to start.

DJ's left nut
01-21-2012, 06:40 PM

1-12 isn't that far apart, considering the number of home games a lot of the teams the top teams have played (goddamn dirty Redwings excluded).

St. Louis should be cruising towards a playoff spot right now and I'm still nervous that we could hit a rough patch on a road-trip and end up having to fight for that 8th spot.

Look at the Central; man that is just freakin' unfair.

DaFace
01-21-2012, 06:43 PM
They are looking better then last season, they do look primed for a run. It would help if the would stop being so stubborn about Varlamov, I know they gave up a fair amont for him but the better guy needs to start.

Are you advocating for Varlamov or Giguere? It sounds like the latter, which I definitely agree with.

That said, Sacco has slowly been shifting the start ratio toward Jiggy. He started on Wednesday, and he's starting again tonight. My guess is Varlamov starts tomorrow. Basically, I think that Jiggy has been given the starting role at this point, though they'll continue to give him games off so that we don't wear him out.

I'm hoping Varly pans out at some point in his career, but he's just been too inconsistent this year to earn the starting role.

DaFace
01-21-2012, 06:46 PM
1-12 isn't that far apart, considering the number of home games a lot of the teams the top teams have played (goddamn dirty Redwings excluded).

St. Louis should be cruising towards a playoff spot right now and I'm still nervous that we could hit a rough patch on a road-trip and end up having to fight for that 8th spot.

I think St. Louis is in. Keep in mind that they were in the tank early in the season. If the season started after the coaching change, it wouldn't even be a question.

Yeah, but it's not like divisions really matter in the NHL.

DaFace
01-21-2012, 06:48 PM
By the way, I have to personally give a shout out to Peter Mueller. Dude has been out with a concussion for nearly TWO FRIGGEN YEARS. He kept trying to come back and wasn't ever able to make it.

I almost didn't even believe it when I heard he was going to play a week or so ago. Then, last Wednesday, he gets two goals and an assist (which was ALMOST a hat trick) to bring the Avs back from being down 3-1 going into the 3rd and, eventually win the game.

Who knows when the next big hit will come, but it's exciting to see a guy who has struggled so much get back on the ice and have some success.

[/man crush]

DJ's left nut
01-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Yeah, but it's not like divisions really matter in the NHL.

They do when the first 3 division winners get 1-3. You can have the 2nd highest point total in the NHL and end up stuck w/ a 4 seed.

It's possible and not even all that unlikely that 3 of the top 5 point totals in hockey come out of the Central and 1 of those 3 teams won't even get home ice advantage in the first round for their troubles. Oh yeah, and the privilege of playing the 4 seed...who happens to also have the 2nd most points in hockey.

Yeah, divisions matter.

DaFace
01-21-2012, 06:54 PM
They do when the first 3 division winners get 1-3. You can have the 2nd highest point total in the NHL and end up lucky to snag a 4 seed.

It's possible and not even all that unlikely that 3 of the top 5 point totals in hockey come out of the Central and 1 of those 3 teams won't even get home ice advantage in the first round for their troubles.

Yeah, divisions matter.

Eh, I know what you're saying, but I just don't think it really matters. I can't remember if it was last year or the year before, but in one of those two years, home teams were actually UNDER .500 in the playoffs.

I understand that the matchups change a bit, but realistically, there's so much parity in the NHL that I don't think it's near as substantial as it is in the NFL, for example.

DaFace
01-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Here's an article that makes the point better than I, though it's a couple years old:

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-home-ice-advantage/

DJ's left nut
01-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Eh, I know what you're saying, but I just don't think it really matters. I can't remember if it was last year or the year before, but in one of those two years, home teams were actually UNDER .500 in the playoffs.

I understand that the matchups change a bit, but realistically, there's so much parity in the NHL that I don't think it's near as substantial as it is in the NFL, for example.

Folks like to argue that home-ice doesn't advantage, but they forget that the home team gets the last change.

For a team like the Blues that needs to lean on its best line to generate scoring chances (a lot of guys are underachieving this year), having 1st change can really hurt them. A smart opponent will throw its defensive line at the Backes/Steen line every chance they get.

Home ice means a lot more than the crowd. Unlike other sports, there are actual strategic advantages to it.

Predarat
01-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Are you advocating for Varlamov or Giguere? It sounds like the latter, which I definitely agree with.

That said, Sacco has slowly been shifting the start ratio toward Jiggy. He started on Wednesday, and he's starting again tonight. My guess is Varlamov starts tomorrow. Basically, I think that Jiggy has been given the starting role at this point, though they'll continue to give him games off so that we don't wear him out.

I'm hoping Varly pans out at some point in his career, but he's just been too inconsistent this year to earn the starting role.

I advocate getting Jiggy with it lol. He has the experience and the cup. Varlomov has potential though, but for now Jiggy should be the man.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zeIfffJDJU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bearcat
01-21-2012, 07:19 PM

It's nice they haven't lost any ground lately, despite not playing all that well... and yeah, Mueller has been a great story.

Bearcat
01-21-2012, 08:12 PM
The Preds just scored from center ice. LMAO

OnTheWarpath58
01-21-2012, 08:38 PM

That's why I'm glad the new realignment proposal was shelved.

Only one out of STL, DET, CHI and NSH could make it out of the second round in the new format.

OnTheWarpath58
01-21-2012, 09:31 PM
4-point night for Backes.

Predarat
01-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Tim Thomas snubbin the POTUS. He makes alot of good points but state and local gubbment are out of hand too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/tim-thomas-obama-snub-not-politics-party-free-233559431.html

DJ's left nut
01-24-2012, 01:47 PM
I hate the Red Wings more than any other team in sports. Raiders, Broncos, Cubs, Jayhawks...all of them.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck FUCK I hate the Red Wings.

Predarat
01-24-2012, 01:49 PM
I hate the Red Wings more than any other team in sports. Raiders, Broncos, Cubs, Jayhawks...all of them.

**** **** **** **** **** I hate the Red Wings.

Me too they piss me off. Just seeing that logo is enough for me.

KCtotheSB
01-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Blues/Pens tonight.

Rollin' for seven in a row tonight.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-24-2012, 04:10 PM

Fuck fuck fuck fuck FUCK I hate the Red Wings.

This

RockChalk
01-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Blues/Pens tonight.

Rollin' for seven in a row tonight.

I was there for Buffalo Saturday night. Great crowd. Should be rockin again tonight.

As for Detroit...I can't stand them. Seems I'm not alone. Screw Detroit. Screw Colorado

DJ's left nut
01-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Fleury stood on his head starting in the 2nd period.

Tip o' the cap. The Blues outplayed the pens for most of that game, fleury just stole one.

It happens. Rest up and come back firing after the break.

ChiefsCountry
01-25-2012, 12:43 AM
It was a hell of a hockey game tonight between the Blues and Pens. Blues struggle so much in shootouts though.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCtotheSB
01-25-2012, 04:39 AM
Fleury won that game for the Pens, hands down. Remarkable saves by Flower in the OT. Didn't much like the Cooke call, but considering his history he was never going to get the benefit of the doubt. Blues are a pain in the ass to play against and while they may struggle in the shootout, once the playoffs start they don't have those anymore :)

If Elliott/Halak keep up their strong play, St. Louis could be in for an impressive playoff run.

DJ's left nut
01-25-2012, 09:59 AM
If Elliott/Halak keep up their strong play, St. Louis could be in for an impressive playoff run.

They need a scorer and I don't know that Armstrong sees any real urgency in acquiring one.

Being a Blues fan right now is about like being a Chiefs fan. I'm just terrified that we're going to let a very very sound team waste what could be a fantastic season because we won't go get that one key part that will put us over the top.

As currently constructed, I just can't see this team making a deep playoff run. They're not going to be able to go out there and win every game 2-1 or 1-0. Sometimes you have to go win a 5-3 hockey game and this team isn't capable of doing that.

Berglund had a big game, but I'd still deal him. Likewise with Chris Stewart. This team needs a legitimate scorer and we're not going to get one for free. See if a package of Stewart, Cole and a couple of 1sts will get Bobby Ryan. When McDonald and Steen are back, the Blues can suddenly run 3 legitimately dangerous scoring lines and a dynamite power play. A bold move has to be made, IMO.

Eh, at least we broke Malkin's consecutive points streak.

PS - you're an insane homer if you thought the Cook call wasn't a penalty. That was, if nothing else, textbook boarding. My buddy was upset that he didn't get 5, though I disagreed with that. It was an easy 2-minute minor, benefit of the doubt or no. Besides, how many times did you guys board Petrangelo (right in front of the linesman) or commit blatant interference on Perron last night. Hell, you guys hooked D'Agostini and when he went down his stick hit the guy that hooked him and they sent D'Agostini off. Or how 'bout when Sobotka got sent off for roughing when both guys were shoving right in front of the ref; how the !@#$ was THAT not matching minors?

I don't wanna hear whining about the refs from Pens fans, you guys easily won the zebra war.

RockChalk
01-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Stupid shootouts. The way the 3rd and OT period were played, the officials should have been allowed to overrule a shootout and allow both teams to continue on. (only somewhat serious on this).

The Blues would win numerous shootouts if Oshie were allowed to take every shot.

DJ's left nut
01-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Stupid shootouts. The way the 3rd and OT period were played, the officials should have been allowed to overrule a shootout and allow both teams to continue on. (only somewhat serious on this).

The Blues would win numerous shootouts if Oshie were allowed to take every shot.

Oshie only seems great to us because everyone else on our team sucks at it. Honestly, I kinda hate his approach.

Ever notice how many of our opponents have 3 or 4 guys with a SO% in the 40s or better? At least in the 30s. We have 1 guy above 20 in Oshie and even he's just barely qualifies as 'solid'. Hell, one of his 3 SO goals was essentially an accident.

Perron should be good at it; he has the best hands on the team. McDonald is probably the most creative player on the team, he should be good as well. Steen has the best shot, but it's still only good, certainly not great.

We just have a shortage of creative offensive players on the squad. It shows on the scoreboard and it shows in the shootouts.

RockChalk
01-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Oshie only seems great to us because everyone else on our team sucks at it. Honestly, I kinda hate his approach.

Ever notice how many of our opponents have 3 or 4 guys with a SO% in the 40s or better? At least in the 30s. We have 1 guy above 20 in Oshie and even he's just barely qualifies as 'solid'. Hell, one of his 3 SO goals was essentially an accident.

Perron should be good at it; he has the best hands on the team. McDonald is probably the most creative player on the team, he should be good as well. Steen has the best shot, but it's still only good, certainly not great.

We just have a shortage of creative offensive players on the squad. It shows on the scoreboard and it shows in the shootouts.

100% agreed on all points. I'm with you, they really need to go out and get the best offensive player available before the deadline. I'd hate to waste the solidness of this year's group.

Pushead2
01-25-2012, 10:34 AM
100% agreed on all points. I'm with you, they really need to go out and get the best offensive player available before the deadline. I'd hate to waste the solidness of this year's group.

Blues have a young, tight, good core & are in fact the real deal...They could use some extra help scoring goals but he has to work well in their system. Not just a big name for the sake of a big name.

Don't be fooled by Oshie - he's a top line player and scorer.

RockChalk
01-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Blues have a young, tight, good core & are in fact the real deal...They could use some extra help scoring goals but he has to work well in their system. Not just a big name for the sake of a big name.

Don't be fooled by Oshie - he's a top line player and scorer.

That's kind of what I was saying. They are SOLID. Not great yet by any means. This team could use one bigtime offense creator and it may just put them over the top.

Pushead2
01-25-2012, 10:39 AM
See if a package of Stewart, Cole and a couple of 1sts will get Bobby Ryan.

None of those players fit BB's system in Anaheim.

Bobby isn't going anywhere anytime soon because BB knows out of the big three, he has the best skill set. Especially with BB's run and gun system - he's been on fire.

In fact the only team that real trade talks with Anaheim during that whole "Bobby Ryan sweepstakes" was Buffalo.

Pushead2
01-25-2012, 10:40 AM
That's kind of what I was saying. They are SOLID. Not great yet by any means. This team could use one bigtime offense creator and it may just put them over the top.

I concur big time they just can't A) Make a bad trade for a washed up veteran (they have that already) or B) break that core for someone that doesn't fit in.

Pushead2
01-25-2012, 10:46 AM

Some good pickups for them to set up plays and score are guys like Stasny, Ruutu on Carolina, or Derek Roy from Buffalo

DJ's left nut
01-25-2012, 10:47 AM
None of those players fit BB's system in Anaheim.

Bobby isn't going anywhere anytime soon because BB knows out of the big three, he has the best skill set. Especially with BB's run and gun system - he's been on fire.

In fact the only team that real trade talks with Anaheim during that whole "Bobby Ryan sweepstakes" was Buffalo.

Okay, I'll take Cory Perry.

Why wouldn't Stewart fit? For a big guy, he's actually a very good skater. Even an up and down offense is better for having a power forward in it, provided that the power forward can keep up with the creators (and Stewart can).

He just doesn't have the ability to create his own shot and right now that's what this team needs. With the other 2 premier forwards you have, Stewart has enough creativity around him to blend in extremely well.

Cole would fit as well - I don't care what your offensive system is; you can always use a top 4 physical defenseman with solid wheels and good size. You're not going to have a team full of D-men like Dennis Wideman. Someone like Cole would be a perfect partner for a guy like Justin Shultz.

RockChalk
01-25-2012, 10:47 AM
I concur big time they just can't A) Make a bad trade for a washed up veteran (they have that already) or B) break that core for someone that doesn't fit in.

I assume you're referring to Arnott

DJ's left nut
01-25-2012, 10:50 AM

Arnott's been a nice addition; Langenbrunner's been a bit of a waste.

He may be thinking historically - i.e. Doug Weight.

Otherwise the Blues haven't really made a 'veteran' trade in a decade or so, except for that one where they gave up the most dominant defenseman in the last 1/4 century (fuck you, Nick Lidstrom) for a soft assclown like Eric Brewer, but that was us dealing the veteran, not acquiring him.

I hate you, Bill Laurie.

RockChalk
01-25-2012, 10:52 AM

No idea why Arnott popped into my head first. Langenbruner would have to be the washed up vet he's referring to

Demonpenz
01-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Penguins won a thriller on Saturday. Ovechkin got suspended. Penguins are going to have to get a ton of Off from Malkin and just play gritty hockey. Which seems ok too me, in the 90's they got their ass kicked with Pretty boy lines Straka-Jagr-random so gritty hockey with one big star could work.

KCtotheSB
01-25-2012, 11:58 AM
They need a scorer and I don't know that Armstrong sees any real urgency in acquiring one.

Being a Blues fan right now is about like being a Chiefs fan. I'm just terrified that we're going to let a very very sound team waste what could be a fantastic season because we won't go get that one key part that will put us over the top.

As currently constructed, I just can't see this team making a deep playoff run. They're not going to be able to go out there and win every game 2-1 or 1-0. Sometimes you have to go win a 5-3 hockey game and this team isn't capable of doing that.

Berglund had a big game, but I'd still deal him. Likewise with Chris Stewart. This team needs a legitimate scorer and we're not going to get one for free. See if a package of Stewart, Cole and a couple of 1sts will get Bobby Ryan. When McDonald and Steen are back, the Blues can suddenly run 3 legitimately dangerous scoring lines and a dynamite power play. A bold move has to be made, IMO.

Eh, at least we broke Malkin's consecutive points streak.

PS - you're an insane homer if you thought the Cook call wasn't a penalty. That was, if nothing else, textbook boarding. My buddy was upset that he didn't get 5, though I disagreed with that. It was an easy 2-minute minor, benefit of the doubt or no. Besides, how many times did you guys board Petrangelo (right in front of the linesman) or commit blatant interference on Perron last night. Hell, you guys hooked D'Agostini and when he went down his stick hit the guy that hooked him and they sent D'Agostini off. Or how 'bout when Sobotka got sent off for roughing when both guys were shoving right in front of the ref; how the !@#$ was THAT not matching minors?

I don't wanna hear whining about the refs from Pens fans, you guys easily won the zebra war.

Holy hell, who's complaining about the refs? There are a lot of people thinking that Jackman embellished that call. Whichever the case, it was boarding but Jackman went so far out of his way that he could have been hit for a dive. I agree that there were certain liberties the Pens had. A few checks along the boards by Orpik had me searching for the ref's raised hand.

The Blues are a pesky team that like to get under team's skins. For whatever reason, it worked against them in the eyes of the refs last night. Refs aside, I thought it was just like the first meeting in Pittsburgh, a very entertaining game.

RockChalk
01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Holy hell, who's complaining about the refs? There are a lot of people thinking that Jackman embellished that call. Whichever the case, it was boarding but Jackman went so far out of his way that he could have been hit for a dive. I agree that there were certain liberties the Pens had. A few checks along the boards by Orpik had me searching for the ref's raised hand.

The Blues are a pesky team that like to get under team's skins. For whatever reason, it worked against them in the eyes of the refs last night. Refs aside, I thought it was just like the first meeting in Pittsburgh, a very entertaining game.

Would've been a lot better had you used Holy Jumpin' there.

Anyways, I agree. Very entertaining game. Which is why I wish SO's didn't exist.

Bearcat
01-25-2012, 12:28 PM
There's been a lot of really good hockey lately... a lot of games just in the past 4 days with playoff intensity. Only one game between now and Tuesday... I might have Center Ice withdrawals. :(

I've been back and forth on the shootout.... at first I was against it, since it's so gimmicky, but warmed up to it after a while. Now though, when the conference races really heat up, I'd rather see the games decided with at least a 10min OT + shootout, or just bring back ties. It's definitely benefited the Avalanche, who are 7-0 this season... but, it almost seems unfair they could make the playoffs because they have 4 more SO wins/points than the average of the rest of the West.

Wow... yeah, I've noticed that ~35% is solid and the top players are around 50%. Noticed this article while doing some light Googling for stats...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/980818-top-10-shootout-specialists-in-the-nhl-with-video

And after watching the Blues more recently, I agree with you as far as needing another scorer (I was going to say Bobby Ryan, too)... they could probably make it through a first round series with goaltending, and maybe beat a team that just goes cold on offense at the wrong time.

As far as the Cooke hit, I'm not sure what to think about it... Jackman was going in at almost a 90 degree angle, and it doesn't look like Cooke really did much more than put his hands on him. I wouldn't call it 'classic boarding'. At most, it's a 2 min penalty (like you said), and I'm almost leaning towards Jackman embellishing it...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NQICq9sYBIQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Predarat
01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
I have a question for Blues fans and others about the Blackhawks fans, when they come to your barn do they yell during the anthem? I know its a tradition in the United Center and the old Chicago Stadium, but I think its shitty for them to do in away venues.

DJ's left nut
01-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Oh Zack Parise, last season's mancrush for me - well until he blew his leg up.

I hate to give up a ton for a pending FA, but if the front office gets ownership lined up and decides they are willing to splurge a little on a long-term deal, I'd probably give up Berglund for Parise, I'd definitely give up Stewart for him (dude doesn't do anything if he's not scoring goals).

Parise's scoring's down a little this year and he's not exactly a 'sniper' but he's still producing even strength (just not on the PP) so he may just be a little snakebit right now.

He's essentially a more skilled TJ Oshie. Though you really worry that his scoring is down coming off the injury and he's about to get a very large, likely very long-term contract.

Unlike other teams I follow, I trust Armstrong to make the right move. If he looks at the tapes and thinks Parise still has it and needs a change of scenery, so be it. If nothing else, having a premier SO guy in the lineup would sure be handy.

RockChalk
01-25-2012, 01:11 PM
As far as the Cooke hit, I'm not sure what to think about it... Jackman was going in at almost a 90 degree angle, and it doesn't look like Cooke really did much more than put his hands on him. I wouldn't call it 'classic boarding'. At most, it's a 2 min penalty (like you said), and I'm almost leaning towards Jackman embellishing it...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NQICq9sYBIQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Consider the penalty being called a bit of good karma the blues way for that garbage dive Burrows took at the end of the Canucks game last week

Pushead2
01-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Okay, I'll take Cory Perry.

Why wouldn't Stewart fit? For a big guy, he's actually a very good skater. Even an up and down offense is better for having a power forward in it, provided that the power forward can keep up with the creators (and Stewart can).

He just doesn't have the ability to create his own shot and right now that's what this team needs. With the other 2 premier forwards you have, Stewart has enough creativity around him to blend in extremely well.

Cole would fit as well - I don't care what your offensive system is; you can always use a top 4 physical defenseman with solid wheels and good size. You're not going to have a team full of D-men like Dennis Wideman. Someone like Cole would be a perfect partner for a guy like Justin Shultz.

Corey Perry? :spock:

The problem isn't the "Big line", it's where he fits other wise in the system. No spot for him at all that benefits a bigger forward. Especially once Smith-Pelly is healthy & Etem is called next year.

Always can use a physical D-man no doubt but we have 3 already in Beauchemin, Sbisa & Brookbank.

And you're naming people on the Caps - you realize BB is the Ducks coach now right? :)

Pushead2
01-26-2012, 08:33 AM

He may be thinking historically - i.e. Doug Weight.

Otherwise the Blues haven't really made a 'veteran' trade in a decade or so, except for that one where they gave up the most dominant defenseman in the last 1/4 century (**** you, Nick Lidstrom) for a soft assclown like Eric Brewer, but that was us dealing the veteran, not acquiring him.

I hate you, Bill Laurie.

It's Langenbrunner I'm referring too.

Pushead2
01-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Oh Zack Parise, last season's mancrush for me - well until he blew his leg up.

I hate to give up a ton for a pending FA, but if the front office gets ownership lined up and decides they are willing to splurge a little on a long-term deal, I'd probably give up Berglund for Parise, I'd definitely give up Stewart for him (dude doesn't do anything if he's not scoring goals).

Parise's scoring's down a little this year and he's not exactly a 'sniper' but he's still producing even strength (just not on the PP) so he may just be a little snakebit right now.

He's essentially a more skilled TJ Oshie. Though you really worry that his scoring is down coming off the injury and he's about to get a very large, likely very long-term contract.

Unlike other teams I follow, I trust Armstrong to make the right move. If he looks at the tapes and thinks Parise still has it and needs a change of scenery, so be it. If nothing else, having a premier SO guy in the lineup would sure be handy.

If y'all have a chance to land Parise in the off season, you sign him & you sign him good.

I personally have the feeling that he might end up going back home.

DJ's left nut
01-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Corey Perry? :spock:

The problem isn't the "Big line", it's where he fits other wise in the system. No spot for him at all that benefits a bigger forward. Especially once Smith-Pelly is healthy & Etem is called next year.

Always can use a physical D-man no doubt but we have 3 already in Beauchemin, Sbisa & Brookbank.

And you're naming people on the Caps - you realize BB is the Ducks coach now right? :)

Shultz is a Ducks prospect - good offensive D-man.

I actually had no idea that Wideman was a Cap now, I thought he was still a Bruin. I only mentioned him because he was an offense-first defenseman in STL that couldn't take the body to save his life. He's essentially a winger that knows how to skate backwards.

I'll just have to disagree with you that there's no spot at all that would benefit a bigger forward. If you have to deal one of your top 3 guys due to salary constraints, you're going to need another scorer somehow. Putting a power forward in that lineup with wheels would absolutely help it out.

Pushead2
01-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Shultz is a Ducks prospect - good offensive D-man.

I actually had no idea that Wideman was a Cap now, I thought he was still a Bruin. I only mentioned him because he was an offense-first defenseman in STL that couldn't take the body to save his life. He's essentially a winger that knows how to skate backwards.

I'll just have to disagree with you that there's no spot at all that would benefit a bigger forward. If you have to deal one of your top 3 guys due to salary constraints, you're going to need another scorer somehow. Putting a power forward in that lineup with wheels would absolutely help it out.

Ohh - Justin Schultz, I thought you were talking about Jeff who is on the Caps.

Getzy & Perry's contracts are up after next year & Bobby is locked for another 3 years after this. It'll be tough to get Getzy & Perry to leave Anaheim. They'll get matching contracts again. Probably around 7-8 each which we'll have room for.

I love how people are so infatuated with getting one of the big 3. Their ties to Anaheim were deep from the beginning. Perry & Getzy won a cup here - very hard to see them not resigning again. Sort of like the Sedins

DJ's left nut
01-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Ohh - Justin Schultz, I thought you were talking about Jeff who is on the Caps.

Getzy & Perry's contracts are up after next year & Bobby is locked for another 3 years after this. It'll be tough to get Getzy & Perry to leave Anaheim. They'll get matching contracts again. Probably around 7-8 each which we'll have room for.

I love how people are so infatuated with getting one of the big 3. Their ties to Anaheim were deep from the beginning. Perry & Getzy won a cup here - very hard to see them not resigning again. Sort of like the Sedins

Except for the fact that the Sedins are alien twins that should be subjected to experiments and probably tortured.

Predarat
01-26-2012, 09:56 AM
I despise Perry. But would love to have him in a Preds uniform. Though I think the Ducks might be out of the trading phase, they have been heating up lately.

Pushead2
01-26-2012, 10:28 AM
I despise Perry. But would love to have him in a Preds uniform. Though I think the Ducks might be out of the trading phase, they have been heating up lately.

don't worry the Preds have our number no matter what our record is

Pushead2
01-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Except for the fact that the Sedins are alien twins that should be subjected to experiments and probably tortured.

ROFL

Bearcat
01-26-2012, 10:53 AM

**** **** **** **** **** I hate the Red Wings.

Me too they piss me off. Just seeing that logo is enough for me.

This

As for Detroit...I can't stand them. Seems I'm not alone. Screw Detroit.

Part of a text conversation from last night...

Me: Wings down 4-0 to Montreal after 1?
Friend: Eat it you Red Wing bastards!
Me: Exactly. I turned around for a minute and now it's 6-0.
Friend: And it's on Versus! It's like free p0rn!!!

LMAO

Predarat
01-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Part of a text conversation from last night...

Me: Wings down 4-0 to Montreal after 1?
Friend: Eat it you Red Wing bastards!
Me: Exactly. I turned around for a minute and now it's 6-0.
Friend: And it's on Versus! It's like free p0rn!!!

LMAO

Hahahah my facebook exploded with things like that too. It was awesome hahah ROFL

Rams Fan
01-26-2012, 06:37 PM
When Steen and Andy are back, the Blues will be better then they are right now.

Too fucking bad Andy is concussion prone now.

tk13
01-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Zdeno Chara just hit a 108.8 mph slapshot in the All-Star Skills competition. That is ridiculous.

DaFace
01-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Zdeno Chara just hit a 108.8 mph slapshot in the All-Star Skills competition. That is ridiculous.

The dude just dominates every year.

KC_Connection
01-28-2012, 08:35 PM
I remember when it was an incredible feat for Al MacInnis to shoot over 100. Times (and equipment) have changed.

Predarat
01-28-2012, 08:53 PM
That was freaking amazing.

DJ's left nut
01-28-2012, 09:55 PM
I remember when it was an incredible feat for Al MacInnis to shoot over 100. Times (and equipment) have changed.

For chopper to be able to get that kind of velocity despite 1) not having an incredible height advantage for leverage or 2) size advantage for raw strength, is just amazing.

Chara's a freakin' giant, so yeah, he can hit a puck hard. But how freakin' amazing is it that MacInnis could routinely hit 100 despite being about the size of the average accountant.

Al is easily my favorite player of all time.

Bearcat
01-28-2012, 09:58 PM
It's been a few years since I've caught a skills competition. The goalies were entertaining, which I don't remember seeing in the past... especially Price. The exploding puck was cool, too, even though none of the pieces scored.

Demonpenz
01-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Al Ifrade was better than mcginnis

Predarat
01-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Its back to business! Very tight playoff race with the trade deadline approaching.

Pushead2
01-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Its back to business! Very tight playoff race with the trade deadline approaching.

For sure - I don't think my Ducks make it, but I also don't think they sell the house.

I think CBJ finally lets go of Nash and COL trades Statsny. Just some small predictions.

KCtotheSB
02-01-2012, 03:11 AM
For sure - I don't think my Ducks make it, but I also don't think they sell the house.

I think CBJ finally lets go of Nash and COL trades Statsny. Just some small predictions.

Columbus' prospects don't look good. The fanbase or whatever is left of it, may show more disinterest if Nash leaves. Tough situation for the Jackets to be in because Nash is the major draw.

I think they get rid of Carter instead.

Pushead2
02-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Columbus' prospects don't look good. The fanbase or whatever is left of it, may show more disinterest if Nash leaves. Tough situation for the Jackets to be in because Nash is the major draw.

I think they get rid of Carter instead.

Carter is a hot topic as of today.

If I was that guy, I'd PRAY that I get moved. You'll see his numbers pickup for sure.

DJ's left nut
02-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Carter has one of the worst contracts in hockey, IMO.

He's a goal-scorer that's prone to bouts of 'who gives a fuck." He's going to have a cap hit of $5+ million for the next decade.

I'm not sure I'd take him for free, let alone give value for him.

Predarat
02-01-2012, 12:26 PM
What a comeback by the Preds last night, being down 1-4 in the 3rd, coming back, scoring 3 goals in the last 3:30. Winning in regulation, sticking it to the shithead Wild owner craig LiarPlod who tried to ship the Preds to Canada. karma, bitch!

DaFace
02-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Avs better step up - this is feeling eerily similar to last year.

Predarat
02-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Pekka Rinne damn near won the game Saturday by himself, the Blues came out flying in the 3rd.

http://video.predators.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20112012,2,775&event=NSH469&fr=false

DJ's left nut
02-06-2012, 10:46 AM
We can't beat him.

It's as though it's the same amount of bad mojo that the Blues have against the Redwings is simply condensed down into one !@#$ing person that we simply cannot get a puck past.

It's absolutely unreal. Anytime I see the !@#$ing Predators on the schedule, I know we're losing that game. And I knew the game was over as soon as the 1-0 lead was up because there was no way we were scoring 2 against him.

The guy gave us trouble even when the rest of the league was beating up on him a little. Now that he's just a generally good goalie, he absolutely !@#$ing owns us.

I hate him.

Predarat
02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Here is a good video about Brian McGrattan and Tootoo.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynightincanada/insidehockey/video/#id=2193080394

NJChiefsFan
02-09-2012, 01:43 AM
For the Blues fans out there, looking foward to the game tomorrow night. Not quite sure how Jamie will be welcomed back. Fanbase is split on the reports of his "mutiny" last season.

I know Cam is excited about it. He even completed a successful dump-in against the Rangers in anticipation of it.

Predarat
02-09-2012, 09:05 AM
For the Blues fans out there, looking foward to the game tomorrow night. Not quite sure how Jamie will be welcomed back. Fanbase is split on the reports of his "mutiny" last season.

I know Cam is excited about it. He even completed a successful dump-in against the Rangers in anticipation of it.

Will Jamie participate in that? He may pull a Sean Avery Turtle hahaha.

RockChalk
02-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Great come from behind win. And via shootout at that. Elliot was on point tonight. Still shocked Hitch didn't start him in the first place.

KC_Connection
02-09-2012, 08:51 PM
I hate the Flyers.

The Poz
02-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Here is a good video about Brian McGrattan and Tootoo.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockeynightincanada/insidehockey/video/#id=2193080394

I caught that when it aired. Brian is a great guy, I'm happy for him and my sis. Getting hitched this summer.

Pushead2
02-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Ducks only 8pts out of the playoffs. I hope they can keep it moving. Best record since Jan.

Devils look like the real deal too...

Bearcat
02-10-2012, 10:46 PM
So, it's just the Avs/Canes on a Friday night, but O'Reilly just forced a great turnover that led to the GWG with ~2 seconds left in OT. :)

DaFace
02-11-2012, 12:40 AM
So, it's just the Avs/Canes on a Friday night, but O'Reilly just forced a great turnover that led to the GWG with ~2 seconds left in OT. :)

I feel weird having a man crush on a guy who just turned 21, but O'Reilly is 100% pure awesome.

Pushead2
02-11-2012, 01:23 AM
what a tough shootout lost by the Ducks. At least we got a point. Power Play failed big time. MacDonald was great for D.

Bearcat
02-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Preds kind of got screwed out of a 2nd point in Boston... the Bruins scored late in the 3rd on a PP, after a BS tripping call, and the Bruins won in a shootout.

Hard to believe the Blackhawks are now 5 points behind the Preds, 6 behind the Blues, and 11 behind the Wings.

DJ's left nut
02-11-2012, 02:53 PM
The Wings will never die.

They've been freakin' awesome for, what, 20 years now? Every damn year they just find a new superstar in the 7th round. When the hell will that deal with the devil expire?

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Blues have been winning nearly every night and are still 5 points back. It's just silly. Go 7-2-1 in the last 10 and of course the Wings are 7-2-1. 3 games at hand though is nice.

KCinNY
02-11-2012, 05:45 PM
The Wings will never die.

They've been freakin' awesome for, what, 20 years now? Every damn year they just find a new superstar in the 7th round. When the hell will that deal with the devil expire?

Agreed.

I passionately hate the Red Menace...but I can't deny their ability to keep reloading the roster with exceptional talent. Combine an owner who wants to win the Cup every year and management that knows what they're doing and a perrenial contender is what you get.

Kind of like the exact opposite of the Chiefs' organizational model.

Bearcat
02-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Where were you when Erik Johnson scored?

Predarat
02-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Preds kind of got screwed out of a 2nd point in Boston... the Bruins scored late in the 3rd on a PP, after a BS tripping call, and the Bruins won in a shootout.

Hard to believe the Blackhawks are now 5 points behind the Preds, 6 behind the Blues, and 11 behind the Wings.

I did not get to catch the game on TV but from what I heard they let alot go then called that. Sound like a shitty call.

Bearcat
02-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Avalanche lucky to get one point out of that...

I did not get to catch the game on TV but from what I heard they let alot go then called that. Sound like a shitty call.

Yeah, I don't know if the Bruin took a dive or just lost an edge, but the Preds' stick was half way up his leg, and it didn't look like there was any way it caused the fall.

DaFace
02-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Avalanche lucky to get one point out of that...

Yup. They looked tired as hell.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Blues dominated that one, just not on the scoreboard. At one point, they had attempted 68 shots to like 20 something and SOG were like 35-16.

DJ's left nut
02-12-2012, 10:59 AM
If we'd have lost a point off an Erik Johnson goal, I'd have been pretty pissed off.

Though the Divelanche need to look at how Johnson plays against the Blues and then how he plays against everyone else to realize what a soft bitch that guy is. He has a game-winner against us in his first game against us, then this one. I'd imagine he's on a 30 goal clip with actual defensive responsibility against us.

Then he plays everyone else and is right back to the floating, entitled headcase he was from the day we got him.

Look at all the #1 overall picks in the NHL draft over the last 10 years....one of those things is not like the other. And the hell of it? He was the consensus #1 overall. The Blues, much like the Chiefs seem to do, simply sucked at the worst possible time.

ChiefsCountry
02-12-2012, 12:58 PM
If we'd have lost a point off an Erik Johnson goal, I'd have been pretty pissed off.

Though the Divelanche need to look at how Johnson plays against the Blues and then how he plays against everyone else to realize what a soft bitch that guy is. He has a game-winner against us in his first game against us, then this one. I'd imagine he's on a 30 goal clip with actual defensive responsibility against us.

Then he plays everyone else and is right back to the floating, entitled headcase he was from the day we got him.

Look at all the #1 overall picks in the NHL draft over the last 10 years....one of those things is not like the other. And the hell of it? He was the consensus #1 overall. The Blues, much like the Chiefs seem to do, simply sucked at the worst possible time.

Blues are the Chiefs of the Nhl no doubt about it.
Posted via Mobile Device