PDA

View Full Version : Music Axel Rose

ForeverChiefs58
10-07-2011, 12:48 PM
WTF. Time has not been kind to him. Looks like he got in a fight with Father Time and got his ass kicked.
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/amplifier__13/amplifier-770172284-1317926782.jpg?ym_t4wFDue3BCWAd

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/amplifier__13/amplifier-243519999-1317926783.jpg?ym_t4wFDccobQRvJ

Axl Rose isn't looking anything like the lithe rock star he was at the height of his fame. When Guns N' Roses played at the Rock in Rio festival in Brazil this week, the 49-year-old sole original member cut a figure that was a far cry from the lean and mean body that made him a hard rock pin-up in the late '80s.

Garbed in a bulging yellow raincoat, Rose obscured his puffy face with sunglasses and a black hat. In response to an inquiry about his apparent weight gain, a rep for Rose said: "You are the first to mention this. If anything, it might be his time off from touring."

After coming onstage two hours late, the tardy Rose voiced his concerns to the audience about prancing around a rain-soaked stage, thereby excusing himself from too much physical exertion. "I'm going to try to focus on singing rather than running around like an idiot. I'm better at being an idiot. We want everybody to be careful." Contrary to his stated goal, Rose struggled to keep time with his backing band even more than he struggled to move around the stage. Although the singer treated fans to a variety of G 'N R classics, a lot of fans left the concert likely feeling stymied, having waited two hours in the rain just to watch Axl Rose turn in a slovenly performance..

Which is to say: His physique isn't the only thing that is unrecognizable from his early Guns days. As our own Daniel Kreps pointed out after viewing this clip from the Rock in Rio performance, his voice sounds "like our friends belting it out during a game of Guitar Hero 3."

His voice is wayy worse than it ever was too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q2EYyTKNiUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chiefnj2
10-07-2011, 12:53 PM
The Brazilian fans are amazing.

2 hours late? Some things never change.

Sounds like Ray Romano singing.

DMAC
10-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Well, it's been over 20 years ago...

blaise
10-07-2011, 01:06 PM
"I've been walking the streets tonight, just trying to get a bite. Hard to breathe when I'm so big and round, you know I got stuck in a booth at Ground Round."

DJ's left nut
10-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Damn.

Yeah, it's been 20 years, but you wouldn't recognize the face or the voice if you weren't told it was him.

You can't say it was a waste of talent, really (afterall, GNR put out 2 of the greatest albums of all time). But they absolutely could have done more than they did.

Axel Rose - the Vinnie Testeverde of rock and roll.

blaise
10-07-2011, 01:08 PM
What's the second album they made that was great?

DMAC
10-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Damn.

Yeah, it's been 20 years, but you wouldn't recognize the face or the voice if you weren't told it was him.

You can't say it was a waste of talent, really (afterall, GNR put out 2 of the greatest albums of all time). But they absolutely could have done more than they did.

Axel Rose - the Vinnie Testeverde of rock and roll.

Yeah, he should have followed the Chris Cornell way. That dude still sounds good and doesnt look like the manager of Krispy Kreme.

Dayze
10-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah, he should have followed the Chris Cornell way. That dude still sounds good and doesnt look like the manager of Krispy Kreme.

:LMAO

allen_kcCard
10-07-2011, 01:15 PM

Hmm...GnR Lies?

Brock
10-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Well, I kinda wish I'd seen this before I bought tickets. :D

DJ's left nut
10-07-2011, 01:18 PM

Hmmm....fair point.

I might be giving November Rain too much sway in including Illusion I on the list.

That's probably my favorite song of all time, so I played the hell out of the CD.

Brock
10-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Hmmm....fair point.

I might be giving November Rain too much sway in including Illusion I on the list.

That's probably my favorite song of all time, so I played the hell out of the CD.

No, Use Your Illusion qualifies without apology.

allen_kcCard
10-07-2011, 01:19 PM

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't. I think I kind of insulted my wife when she mentioned it and I reacted rather negatively. I think she was fishing for if I would be excited to get tix as an early Christmas present or something and wasn't expecting my reaction. That being, hell no, I don't want to watch that shit.

DMAC
10-07-2011, 01:20 PM

No shit, Back Of Bitch is awesome.

DJ's left nut
10-07-2011, 01:20 PM

Appetite makes the cut without question, then.

blaise
10-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Appetite is great. I kind of asked because I never really even listened to any of their albums in their entirety after that. I always kind of wondered if Use Your Illusion was any good or what.

Deberg_1990
10-07-2011, 01:26 PM

The spaghetti incident

Brock
10-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Appetite makes the cut without question, then.

Oh yes. For different reasons, IMO. It was different from everything else at the time, angrier and harder. Use Your Illusion took the some of the edge off the band, IMO, but as far as being well-crafted and with some great writing, certainly some of the best stuff of the 90s. Compares favorably to Exile on Main Street, again JMO.

Deberg_1990
10-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Oh yes. For different reasons, IMO. It was different from everything else at the time, angrier and harder. Use Your Illusion took the some of the edge off the band, IMO, but as far as being well-crafted and with some great writing, certainly some of the best stuff of the 90s. Compares favorably to Exile on Main Street, again JMO.

USe your Illusion I and 2 are pretty solid. Tons of material there, not all that i like, it could have been cut down some, but oh well.....

Ive still got my original CD's with the controversial stickers attached.....the ones where Axel told every to "*uck off, if they didnt like the music"

http://www.gunsnflowers.com/gunsnroses4/Banned/UYIbannedsticker.htm

jspchief
10-07-2011, 03:51 PM
"Appetite for Destruction" and "Lies"

Both kickass albums. I could give or take "Use your Illusion", and absolutely despise November Rain. Never understood that songs popularity.

rocknrolla
10-07-2011, 03:53 PM
F*** Axel Rose!

crispystl420
10-07-2011, 05:42 PM

Yeah use your illusion was fucking awesome.

rocknrolla
10-07-2011, 05:52 PM

Sucker!

scott free
10-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Wow, Van Morrison hasnt changed a bit.

Rausch
10-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Wow, Van Morrison hasnt changed a bit.

Ouch...

scott free
10-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Ouch...

Its really too bad that he's such an out of control egomaniac, i'd love to see them get back together... after he took some time to heal his voice.

As it is, he's pretty well cheating everyone who goes to see them.

SLAG
10-07-2011, 09:37 PM
My fav. Was

G N R
The Live Era
The best Live CD I have ever heard

I could listen to both discs all the way through - Rocket Queen on that set is my absolute Fav. of their songs

teedubya
10-07-2011, 09:48 PM
All those years of screaming and singing "incorrectly", clearly took it's toll. He sounds and looks like complete shit.

teedubya
10-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Rock in Rio 2011

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y0Bkw4vsHt8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Demonpenz
10-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Appetite for Beef Luncheon

Brock
10-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Sucker!

Yeah, well, I'll be drunk and won't care.

teedubya
10-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Rock in Rio 1991

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nKhj5uOw1pY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SLAG
10-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Rock in Rio 1991

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nKhj5uOw1pY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I bet this is how Axl Imagined himself during his most recent performance

Fish
10-07-2011, 10:53 PM
He must not like meth anymore...

KcMizzou
10-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Yeah, well, I'll be drunk and won't care.:thumb:

jlscorpio
10-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Well in all fairness, at least he dropped the white man weave he was rockin' the last few years. G n R might be the greatest example ever of a megalomaniacal frontman suffocating the life out of a band that should have been mentioned with the greatest bands of all time. I think it all went downhill after Izzy left. They were never that same sleazy, amazing Sunset Strip legend after that. That being said, for my money, Apetite is still the greatest debut ever, and will be hard to top in today's musical climate.

Shag
10-08-2011, 02:21 AM
Is that really Axl? Sad. I was a giant GnR fan back in the day - it's sad to see what they've become. It's definitely not GnR anymore.

I actually happened across a few youtube vids today of Slash's solo tour with Myles Kennedy. Pretty good stuff - glad to see that Slash is carrying on some GnR tunes with a little more artistic validity.

It's too bad Axl was such a douche. GnR could have been great for decades, if they'd kept the original crew together...

SnakeXJones
10-08-2011, 07:48 AM
atleast we know who ate all the spaghetti

NewChief
10-13-2011, 11:14 AM
This from a recent stereogum (http://stereogum.com/841302/axl-rose-explains-rock-in-rio-lateness-but -not-why-he-looks-like-that-now/) blog post:

The extreme lateness was nothing new for this band; in fact, it’s practically tradition. But Axl wore a perfectly ridiculous outfit, sounded like a dying baby elephant, and looked like he’d eaten Slash and Duff for dinner that night.

ROFL

blaise
10-13-2011, 11:17 AM
He used to eat a little but the little wouldn't do it, so the little got more and more.

eazyb81
10-13-2011, 11:18 AM
"I've been walking the streets tonight, just trying to get a bite. Hard to breathe when I'm so big and round, you know I got stuck in a booth at Ground Round."

LMAO

Sofa King
10-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Jesus that was terrible.

Brock
10-13-2011, 01:19 PM
He used to eat a little but the little wouldn't do it, so the little got more and more.

:clap:

Omaha
10-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Why would he let himself become such a big sack of shit? That is just fucking pathetic.

Sofa King
10-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Why would he let himself become such a big sack of shit? That is just ****ing pathetic.

He's always been a sack of shit. Now he's just fat to boot.

NewChief
10-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Yeah, well, I'll be drunk and won't care.

Oh, so you'll likely be stealing, fighting, and raping as well?

frankotank
10-13-2011, 02:41 PM
No shit, Back Of Bitch is awesome.

I liked Double Talkin' Jive too....
those Illusion albums were the first CD's I ever owned. won them from a radio station. the end of the cassette era. now I have at least two hundred tapes in my basement storage room. :(

NewChief
10-13-2011, 02:43 PM
I liked Double Talkin' Jive too....
those Illusion albums were the first CD's I ever owned. won them from a radio station. the end of the cassette era. now I have at least two hundred tapes in my basement storage room. :(

Heh. I collected live show bootlegs for a long time (jambands). I had about 1000 cassette tapes at one time (mounted storage racks on my walls and basically covered a wall). I eventually threw them all away. I can find (and stream) higher quality, digital versions of most of the shows these days. I collected them all through trade-by-mail off of listservs and by going to taper gatherings, though.

listopencil
10-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Rock in Rio 2011

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y0Bkw4vsHt8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Holy ****ing shit. This man had one redeeming quality. And I mean one, single redeeming quality as a human being. He could wail. This diva lived off of the musicians that made GNR rock. It's hilarious, it's tragic, it's pathetic, it's schadenfreude at it's best...it's Justice. And it aint pretty.

SnakeXJones
10-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Kinda of sad He has the energy of a happy meal toy

Frazod
10-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Rock in Rio 2011

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y0Bkw4vsHt8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Holy crap, I could only listen to a few seconds of that shit. Absolutely vile - it's like bad karaoke.

Omaha
10-13-2011, 09:21 PM
He's always been a sack of shit. Now he's just fat to boot.

Good point. Now he just looks the part.

Brianfo
10-14-2011, 10:08 PM
He is a rock star. Grasping for the light. Hes had more success in life than all of you fukrs ever will. LOL at you guys sitting behind your computer and poking fun. So the dude gained a little weight and can't sing anymore. I wanted to be just like him growing up. G N R could have been the greatest Rock Band ever. They are in my mind.

listopencil
10-14-2011, 10:12 PM
He is a rock star. Grasping for the light. Hes had more success in life than all of you fukrs ever will. LOL at you guys sitting behind your computer and poking fun. So the dude gained a little weight and can't sing anymore. I wanted to be just like him growing up. G N R could have been the greatest Rock Band ever. They are in my mind.

Now's your chance. Start eating lard and drinking gravy. Make sure to sit perfectly still while doing so. If you have any kind of singing voice, punch yourself in the throat in between the lard and gravy. You'll be just like him in six months.

listopencil
10-15-2011, 05:32 PM
It finally hit me, I know who Axel Rose reminds me of. If Axel could just get his energy level up a bit, and try to hit a note or two, he might eventually be able to sound this good:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PdiCJUysIT0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SnakeXJones
10-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Now's your chance. Start eating lard and drinking gravy. Make sure to sit perfectly still while doing so. If you have any kind of singing voice, punch yourself in the throat in between the lard and gravy. You'll be just like him in six months. LMAOLMAO

Crush
10-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Blatantly stolen from Fark:

Welcome to the kitchen,
We've got pots and pans,
We have all the ingredients,
To make some yummy yams.

Omaha
10-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Now's your chance. Start eating lard and drinking gravy. Make sure to sit perfectly still while doing so. If you have any kind of singing voice, punch yourself in the throat in between the lard and gravy. You'll be just like him in six months.

Perfect!

beach tribe
10-16-2011, 10:02 AM
C'mon guys.
Loading like a freight train flying like an aeroplane and frying your esophagus like a strip a bacon at every show is not going to allow you to keep the same voice for 20 years.

You're price of admission is not wasted. they put on a great show, and that band is choke full of bad ass musicians, and believe it or not, Axl can still howl like no on ever could.........every once in a while. Maybe you'll get lucky.
I would prefer they not call said band GnR, but it is what it is.

beach tribe
10-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Why would he let himself become such a big sack of shit? That is just ****ing pathetic.

Matt Sorum was asked why anyone would put up with Axl's shit and be in his band?
He said that he regrets destroying his relationship with Axl because, the difference between playing with Axl, and playing with any other band, is basically playing in front of 50,000 people or playing in front of 5,000 people.
Axl is still a HUGE draw, and is raking in dough hand over fist. say what you want, but even Chinese Democracy sold 3,000,000 copies, and his show are filled to the brim.

Bowser
10-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Yeah, there's 3 million people that want their moeny back.

ILChief
10-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Yeah use your illusion was fucking awesome.

Use Your Illusion was hurt by being 2 albums. Each album had 6 or 7 great songs and 6 or 7 filler songs. Imagine one album that was:

Civil War
Don't Cry
November Rain
Estranged
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Coma
Yesterdays
You Could Be Mine
Dead Horse
Live and Let Die
Pretty Tied Up
The Garden
Locomotive

That would be a bad ass album. Leave the other stuff for a B-sides album or something.

Crush
10-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Use Your Illusion was hurt by being 2 albums. Each album had 6 or 7 great songs and 6 or 7 filler songs. Imagine one album that was:

Civil War
Don't Cry
November Rain
Estranged
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Coma
Yesterdays
You Could Be Mine
Dead Horse
Live and Let Die
Pretty Tied Up
The Garden
Locomotive

That would be a bad ass album. Leave the other stuff for a B-sides album or something.

Axl originally wanted the Use Your Illusion albums to be sold as a box set, because The Spaghetti Incident songs were also recorded in those sessions. I agree with you though, Use Your Illusion should have been just one kick ass album.

ForeverChiefs58
10-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Looks like he got a face lift also, but I wonder why he would do that still at such a young age?

I saw him a few years ago and he had corn rows and just looked constantly surprised and wierd in the face. you can see some major line on his throat I am guessing was part of his face stretch? I don't understand why people do that to themselves, facelifts do not look good. Ask Joan Rivers.

Frazod
10-17-2011, 02:47 PM
In that top picture he looks like Paul Williams.

Valiant
10-17-2011, 08:40 PM
WTF. Time has not been kind to him. Looks like he got in a fight with Father Time and got his ass kicked.
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/amplifier__13/amplifier-770172284-1317926782.jpg?ym_t4wFDue3BCWAd

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/amplifier__13/amplifier-243519999-1317926783.jpg?ym_t4wFDccobQRvJ

Axl Rose isn't looking anything like the lithe rock star he was at the height of his fame. When Guns N' Roses played at the Rock in Rio festival in Brazil this week, the 49-year-old sole original member cut a figure that was a far cry from the lean and mean body that made him a hard rock pin-up in the late '80s.

Garbed in a bulging yellow raincoat, Rose obscured his puffy face with sunglasses and a black hat. In response to an inquiry about his apparent weight gain, a rep for Rose said: "You are the first to mention this. If anything, it might be his time off from touring."

After coming onstage two hours late, the tardy Rose voiced his concerns to the audience about prancing around a rain-soaked stage, thereby excusing himself from too much physical exertion. "I'm going to try to focus on singing rather than running around like an idiot. I'm better at being an idiot. We want everybody to be careful." Contrary to his stated goal, Rose struggled to keep time with his backing band even more than he struggled to move around the stage. Although the singer treated fans to a variety of G 'N R classics, a lot of fans left the concert likely feeling stymied, having waited two hours in the rain just to watch Axl Rose turn in a slovenly performance..

Which is to say: His physique isn't the only thing that is unrecognizable from his early Guns days. As our own Daniel Kreps pointed out after viewing this clip from the Rock in Rio performance, his voice sounds "like our friends belting it out during a game of Guitar Hero 3."

His voice is wayy worse than it ever was too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q2EYyTKNiUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You sure this is not one of those videos where the singer is dubbed out and someone sings in his place badly??

If not.. my fucking god.. He is complete shit..

whoman69
10-18-2011, 07:27 PM
They just did a concert in Paraguay which seems to be the biggest thing that hit there since the last time Jonathon Fried paid them a visit.

listopencil
12-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Check this out:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yfr2F_5CqZI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pitt Gorilla
12-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Check this out:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yfr2F_5CqZI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>Was I supposed to see something not-horrible in that video?

listopencil
12-21-2011, 11:44 PM
Was I supposed to see something not-horrible in that video?

Well, it's a poorly recorded live show. And it still blows Axl Rose away.

Brock
12-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Whether the KC show was an aberration or not, I don't know. I do know that the entire band, including Axl, sounded fantastic. One of the better concerts I've seen.

Pitt Gorilla
12-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Well, it's a poorly recorded live show. And it still blows Axl Rose away.I can't imagine anyone caring. It's NOT GNR. It's NOT Axl. I'm sure there are thousands of people that could sing it better, but that doesn't mean that anyone would want to hear them.

listopencil
12-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I can't imagine anyone caring. It's NOT GNR. It's NOT Axl. I'm sure there are thousands of people that could sing it better, but that doesn't mean that anyone would want to hear them.

It's from the American Idol tour, IIRC. Loads of people (I assume mainly teenage girls) want to see it.

Bowser
12-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Whether the KC show was an aberration or not, I don't know. I do know that the entire band, including Axl, sounded fantastic. One of the better concerts I've seen.

This, strangely. It was a great show, and I was expecting zero from the prima donna. Loud as fuck, though.