PDA

View Full Version : Computers Major Comp. Issues

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 03:51 PM
I've been having a nightmare of a time with my personal build computer this weekend. I've been getting the blue screen a lot over the last 24 hours. I thought it was from an update from Windows, so I tried system restore and that never worked right. It kept getting the blue screen in the middle of it.

Today, it kept cycling through. It would get to my motherboard screen, and then say it was re-writing the bios and then it would reboot again and this time just a black screen with a cursor would come on.

Then I finally got it to boot from the windows CD. I checked the windows memory utility and that loaded. It said there were hardware issues, then when it was done, it tried loading windows and this error came up:

'ramdisk device creation failed due to insufficient memory'

I have no idea what to do now. Would this mean my Ram is failing, or my HD? I would really hope i could boot one more time so I could backup my files from the last 5 days, but at this point if I can determine that it's the HD, I'd just replace that and save myself a huge headache.

Any advice on what this could be and what I should do next?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BryanBusby
10-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Download memtest86 and run it to start off

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Download memtest86 and run it to start off

I can't get to the desktop at all. I'm on the wife's laptop now.

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 04:58 PM
I tried escaping that screen and booting it again. Now the computer is on, but the screen is completely black. Can't do anything. Damn is this frustrating.

Smed1065
10-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Put the disc in and repair.

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Put the disc in and repair.

Tried that. Now it's not booting at all.

Hopefully some tech guru knows if it's the ram, HD or graphics card.

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 05:36 PM
I don't know if it's a bios issue or what but the screen keeps coming up to re-write or flash the bios and when the running dots get to a certain point, the computer restarts and then shows the motherboard control screen and then the screen is black with the cursor flashing in the left hand corner.

DaFace
10-09-2011, 05:38 PM
I can't get to the desktop at all. I'm on the wife's laptop now.

Memtest is a boot disc.
Posted via Mobile Device

ReynardMuldrake
10-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Have you made any hardware changes recently? Is this a new build or was it working fine before this happened? What exactly do you mean by 'personal build'?

BryanBusby
10-09-2011, 06:04 PM
What motherboard exactly are you using?

It would get to my motherboard screen, and then say it was re-writing the bios and then it would reboot again and this time just a black screen with a cursor would come on.

I think this is the key problem here. Something got corrupt when it tried to do a BIOS update. Need to find the jumper on the board itself and clear the cmos.

venotolio
10-09-2011, 06:11 PM
thank for that post, please write again soon :)

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Here's the MB...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128431

Wife said to me that there was a message on the computer that the HD was failing that we should back up on an external to save our files.

Could the HD cause this? Would that explain why on the Windows screen is comes up black with a blnking cursor?

If so, I'm going to need a hew 1TB HD, is there any recommendations? I don't want to get a Samsung after it only lasted a year.

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Have you made any hardware changes recently? Is this a new build or was it working fine before this happened? What exactly do you mean by 'personal build'?

I didn't word it right. It's a computer I built last year.

I didn't make any changes. The only updates were Windows updates.

DaFace
10-09-2011, 06:18 PM
I'd run memtest before doing anything major. As I mentioned, it's a boot disc, so it removes any possible software issues from the equation.

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 06:23 PM
I'd run memtest before doing anything major. As I mentioned, it's a boot disc, so it removes any possible software issues from the equation.

Can you give me some instructions? I've never even created a boot disc before.

Thanks man in advance.

DaFace
10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Download the file from here:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Unzip it, then open the .iso file with whatever CD burning program you have. MOST of them will immediately recognize it and prompt you to burn it to a CD. Do that. Then put it in your computer and boot up just like you were going to reinstall Windows. I believe it runs automatically.

ReynardMuldrake
10-09-2011, 06:38 PM
The first thing I would try is see if you can boot to safe mode. Go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest BIOS and try and flash it.

A FAILING hard drive would not account for that behavior. It's possible that a boot sector virus could be attempting to write to the BIOS. It's also possible the BIOS is simply corrupt.

Another thing you could try is burn an antivirus boot CD and check for boot sector viruses. Bad RAM would cause blue screens but would not cause the BIOS to attempt to flash itself.

My hunch is either a boot sector virus or some sort of hardware conflict or BIOS corruption.

BryanBusby
10-09-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm thinking BIOS corruption, but you should go ahead and run memtest86 first as mentioned earlier just incase.

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Bios corruption would make sense. I put the disc in, pushed F12 to load from the CD Rom and then a screen came up that said the bios was being re-written then it posted a bunch of dots and then got to a certain point and restarted.

It's done this numerous times. I can't even get to load the memtest86 CD now.

Since I obviously know dick about the bios, how would I fix this issue if I can't run the boot disc?

ReynardMuldrake
10-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Bios corruption would make sense. I put the disc in, pushed F12 to load from the CD Rom and then a screen came up that said the bios was being re-written then it posted a bunch of dots and then got to a certain point and restarted.

It's done this numerous times. I can't even get to load the memtest86 CD now.

Since I obviously know dick about the bios, how would I fix this issue if I can't run the boot disc?

Go to the manufacturer's website on another machine, see if they have BIOS updates in an ISO/boot disk maker format, cross your fingers and see if it will boot. If it won't boot your motherboard is toast.

BryanBusby
10-09-2011, 06:50 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/d3ziv.jpg

Follow these instructions.

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks man. I think all the potential flashing it was trying to do, and then the rebooting, might have fried it.

Can anyone recommend a solid MB to replace?

BryanBusby
10-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks man. I think all the potential flashing it was trying to do, and then the rebooting, might have fried it.

Can anyone recommend a solid MB to replace?

After looking at the newegg page, now I remember this mobo. Yeah, it's probably done for. What a turd Gigabyte laid with that one.

This is the board I'm using

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131699

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 07:37 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/d3ziv.jpg

Follow these instructions.

That worked. Thank the lord.

Now I'm able to boot. I did get the blue screen again, and tried to boot the image from the disc, but it didn't load right.

I tried running the backup utility to put all my files on my backup up HD.

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Well, it worked for a bit, but it's back to trying to rewrite the bios. I thought I had burned the Memtest86 cd right, but every time I tried to boot from that, it bypassed it.

Every time I tried to get the backup working to transfer files, the blue screen came up.

I'm assuming that the HD isn't the issue since when I rest the cmos, it reset itself and the HD worked fine.

Don't know what to do now. This is all over my head and I greatly appreciate everyone's help.

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 08:33 PM
I tried resetting the cmos again, and now it gets to the windows startup screen, and then reboots itself.

DaFace
10-09-2011, 08:36 PM
If it's bypassing the memtest cd, the boot order for your drives probably got reset with the CMOS reset. Go into your BIOS and find the section that has to do with boot order. Make sure that the CD drive is before your hard drive.

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 08:43 PM
If it's bypassing the memtest cd, the boot order for your drives probably got reset with the CMOS reset. Go into your BIOS and find the section that has to do with boot order. Make sure that the CD drive is before your hard drive.

On the boot order, I can just select what to boot from each time. When I select the cd drive, it says boot from CD pauses for 2 seconds and then restarts itself.

DaFace
10-09-2011, 08:49 PM
On the boot order, I can just select what to boot from each time. When I select the cd drive, it says boot from CD pauses for 2 seconds and then restarts itself.

Hmm...not sure. You could try the disc in another computer (like the one you're on) I suppose, just to make sure the disc was made properly.

QuikSsurfer
10-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Power off the system and remove the RAM. Power it back on. Any beeps? If so, what beep pattern?

nstygma
10-09-2011, 09:17 PM
It would get to my motherboard screen, and then say it was re-writing the bios and then it would reboot again and this time just a black screen with a cursor would come on.
according to the user manual for your motherboard:
What is DualBIOS™?
Motherboards that support DualBIOS have two BIOS onboard, a main BIOS and
a backup BIOS. Normally, the system works on the main BIOS. However, if the
main BIOS is corrupted or damaged, the backup BIOS will take over on the next system boot and copy the
BIOS file to the main BIOS to ensure normal system operation. For the sake of system safety, users cannot
update the backup BIOS manually.
maybe you should download a bios update and flash it(q-flash page 62), try that?
manual (http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/mb_manual_ga-770t-usb3_e.pdf), bios (http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3320&dl=1#bios),

The Bad Guy
10-09-2011, 09:41 PM
I finally got the memtest86 to work. It's going through now with TONS of errors. I'll update when it's finished.

The Bad Guy
10-10-2011, 04:47 AM
Well I left it go because it was still running and went to bed, got up today and it was still running. The timer for how long it was running stopped but it was still scrolling errors. It was running for well over 7 hours.

I tried to get it working again, but it the re-writing bios kept coming on.

Would this do this if the HD was failing or is this almost certainly the MB? I'm going to have to order a new MB today if so because I need my computer fully operational by the end of the week for a paper I have to write.

If it is the MB, anyone have any suggestions that won't crush my wallet?

nstygma
10-10-2011, 07:03 AM
1. if you question the HD, unhook the HD and boot it up with only the memtest cd in
2. i would also personally remove the ram and make sure its seated good. then boot up with one stick only(if you're using multiples) to see if that has any effect. maybe one is bad?
3. do that bios update i mentioned in the previous post, then load optimized defaults.
you can do all that in 20 minutes.

here's (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157176) a cheap board with good reviews similar to the features of your current one

The Bad Guy
10-10-2011, 07:07 AM
1. if you question the HD, unhook the HD and boot it up with only the memtest cd in
2. i would also personally remove the ram and make sure its seated good. then boot up with one stick only(if you're using multiples) to see if that has any effect. maybe one is bad?
3. do that bios update i mentioned in the previous post, then load optimized defaults.
you can do all that in 20 minutes.

here's (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157176) a cheap board with good reviews similar to the features of your current one

Thanks man. When I get home from work, I'll try the Ram and the HD.

I guess I'm confused as to why the HD would be the issue though if the bios needs to be re-written screen keeps rebooting constantly.

loochy
10-10-2011, 07:48 AM
I'm thinking its the RAM. Corrupted ram will write bad values to the hard drive, and your hard drive will then act weird. Ram goes bad easily and often.

loochy
10-10-2011, 07:49 AM
I finally got the memtest86 to work. It's going through now with TONS of errors. I'll update when it's finished.

Well duh, then it's ram or motherboard

Otter
10-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Lol, did you piss in Bill Gate's Cheerios Bad Guy?

The Bad Guy
10-10-2011, 07:52 AM
I'll take a stick out at a time when I get home. Is that the only way to test the Ram?

loochy
10-10-2011, 08:01 AM
I'll take a stick out at a time when I get home. Is that the only way to test the Ram?

Yeah, pretty much. Swap out sticks until you find the culprit. If both of them show bad, then you might have a bad northbridge or something....or both sticks might actually be bad.

thecoffeeguy
10-10-2011, 08:10 AM

That was going to be my suggestion.

Remove one stick of RAM. Boot the computer, see how far it gets.
If it is having those same issues, power off, swap the sticks and do it again.

The Bad Guy
10-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Lol, did you piss in Bill Gate's Cheerios Bad Guy?

Might as well have. I professed my love for Steve Jobs, so it's basically the same thing.

Demonpenz
10-10-2011, 04:07 PM
hopefully you get it working, nothing more frustrating. My pattern ususally goes like this...Something doesn't work...I fuck it up, then I fuck it up more, and then I buy a new computer.

DaFace
10-10-2011, 05:09 PM
That was going to be my suggestion.

Remove one stick of RAM. Boot the computer, see how far it gets.
If it is having those same issues, power off, swap the sticks and do it again.

As a corolary to this:

If you only have one RAM stick (or if neither work), most electronics suppliers that sell RAM will let you return it if it doesn't work. You can always tell them that it was the wrong type for your machine or something like that.

If RAM isn't the issue, I'd throw in the towel and look for a replacement mobo.

The Bad Guy
10-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Well, so far so good about the Ram. I took out the last stick, and it appeared to work fine. Out of curiosity, I put that last stick in the 3rd slot, and it still worked well. Could it be the last ram slot is bad?

I'm going to contact g.skill about the one stick and see if it can be replaced, but even if it can't, and this is going to work well, I won't see much difference between 8 gigs and 6 gigs for what I do on this comp.

Thanks everyone for your help.

The Bad Guy
10-10-2011, 07:46 PM
hopefully you get it working, nothing more frustrating. My pattern ususally goes like this...Something doesn't work...I **** it up, then I **** it up more, and then I buy a new computer.

Ha, that's my pattern as well.

DaFace
10-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Well, so far so good about the Ram. I took out the last stick, and it appeared to work fine. Out of curiosity, I put that last stick in the 3rd slot, and it still worked well. Could it be the last ram slot is bad?

I'm going to contact g.skill about the one stick and see if it can be replaced, but even if it can't, and this is going to work well, I won't see much difference between 8 gigs and 6 gigs for what I do on this comp.

Thanks everyone for your help.

It's not something I've ever personally seen, but it wouldn't surprise me. Are you actually booting up at this point?

Regardless, I'd let memtest run again to check everything out.

The Bad Guy
10-10-2011, 09:08 PM
It's not something I've ever personally seen, but it wouldn't surprise me. Are you actually booting up at this point?

Regardless, I'd let memtest run again to check everything out.

Ran memtest when I took out the ram and it all came up good.

I'm on the PC now. Been on for the last 2 hours and it's running great.

DaFace
10-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Ran memtest when I took out the ram and it all came up good.

I'm on the PC now. Been on for the last 2 hours and it's running great.

Bizarre. Well, glad that seems to have taken care of it!

BryanBusby
10-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Could it be the last ram slot is bad?

It's possible.