PDA

View Full Version : Life GRoupon is BS

tooge
10-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Ok, so another dentist in our area is running a "groupon" deal for invisalign at over 60% off, claiming that it is only $3000 from the regular price of over $7000. What a bunch of hogwash. I know the guy, I know his regular fee for invisalign. It is usually around $4800. Groupon forces you to do a deal of at least 50%, so basically, they are asking the business that is running the deal to mark up the regular fee by a shitload so that the "deal" will look amazing. What a bunch of bs. Boycott Groupon!

Bewbies
10-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Scoutmob is way better, but they're only in a few cities.

jiveturkey
10-10-2011, 04:30 PM
I primarily use GroupOn for dinning out. I don't see how there'd be much of a mark up in that case unless they were constantly reprinting menus and pissing off all of their regulars.

John_Wayne
10-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Ok, so another dentist in our area is running a "groupon" deal for invisalign at over 60% off, claiming that it is only $3000 from the regular price of over $7000. What a bunch of hogwash. I know the guy, I know his regular fee for invisalign. It is usually around $4800. Groupon forces you to do a deal of at least 50%, so basically, they are asking the business that is running the deal to mark up the regular fee by a shitload so that the "deal" will look amazing. What a bunch of bs. Boycott Groupon!

Can you post the link? I've never seen a Groupon offer like this. Most Groupon offers are pretty good. But, you can take it or leave it. I don't know why someone would boycott Groupon. Just don't buy the offer.

Nzoner
10-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Being in direct mail advertising I do my best to sway a client from "getting ridiculous" with their offers.I always tell them the majority of the buying public is not dumb,so don't treat them as such.Sure I've gotten some snide remarks but for the most part once I've done my best to try and educate a client on marketing they realize I really do care about their success and the public's perception of them.

Of course there's always those that are going to do it their way no matter what I say.

tooge
10-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Can you post the link? I've never seen a Groupon offer like this. Most Groupon offers are pretty good. But, you can take it or leave it. I don't know why someone would boycott Groupon. Just don't buy the offer.

It's the deal of the day in KC. I just think that if Groupon was really about saving customers money, and driving people to your business, they should do it without either raping the business or lying to the customer. Guess I just don't roll that way. Shop away.

rageeumr
10-10-2011, 04:35 PM
I let my groupon to the 810 zone expire last month. Still pissed about it.

Stewie
10-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Is $3000 not a good deal?

I know restaurants have complained that groupon wasn't getting them any repeat business, so they've changed their marketing to encourage repeat visits.

Nzoner
10-10-2011, 04:43 PM
I know restaurants have complained that groupon wasn't getting them any repeat business, so they've changed their marketing to encourage repeat visits.

Can you give an example,I'm always looking for new ideas for my restaurants.

John_Wayne
10-10-2011, 04:44 PM
It's the deal of the day in KC. I just think that if Groupon was really about saving customers money, and driving people to your business, they should do it without either raping the business or lying to the customer. Guess I just don't roll that way. Shop away. Just don't buy it. Simple solution.

Demonpenz
10-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Dear Groupon,

My name is Demonpenz. I am very unhappy with your service. I expected to get 2 meals for the price of 1 but instead I got 2 meals for the time,price, frustration of 100. I went to Applebees (where I planned on proposing to my girlfriend) we ordered the same thing as we always do. Two Juicy ass steaks, some fries, pie, Wingless wings, and first off the lady running the show was a complete dipshit. She acted like we never go there or something. I screamed at her to bring me the ususal and she said I don't know what your ususal is! She also demanded that I stop "Snaking" the people outside at Sheridans. After I put ketchup on all my food I was scared of what was going to come next. They wouldn't give me a refill on steak. What kind of bullshit place is this. You know how many times I have stopped here before a molly hatchet concert? I was so pissed I stole the Desert of the day from the back where some guys from Ecudoor and his boys were no doubtly trampling an american flag. I expect something better next time around, like 2 for 1 Big Johnson T-shirts and co-ed naked tshirts. Thanks

John_Wayne
10-10-2011, 04:45 PM
I let my groupon to the 810 zone expire last month. Still pissed about it. Groupon will refund your money. They'll give you "Groupon bucks". Just email and ask them. First they'll tell you that it's still worth what you paid for it if you take it to the vendor. But, if you ask a 2nd time, they'll give you a refund. The vendor is required to honor your Groupon for what you paid after it's expired.

Stewie
10-10-2011, 04:48 PM

It was an article in the KC Star, I think. I don't remember that they said anything specific about how they were going to get repeat customers, just that they had a plan.

As an example, pizza places were selling $20 worth of pizza for $10, never to see those customers again. It wasn't working for them so groupon came up with a new plan.

sedated
10-10-2011, 04:52 PM
I’ve stopped getting groupons. I used to love them for restaurants – get $30 for $15 and use the whole thing for drinks. Then I got one for a bar, and when we went they said it was against state law to discount alcohol, so we had to order their crappy food. Ever since then, they all say “not valid for alcohol” or limit it to some food “package” (like an appetizer, entrée, dessert combo).

I have heard that companies can get into serious trouble with those things. Thousands of people buy $40 for $20, spend only their $40 and not a cent more, and never go back. With the tight margins at restaurants, that will put someone out of business real quick.

I’ve also read it’s a flawed business model and won’t be around forever. And heard it compared to a Ponzi scheme, but can’t remember where I saw that.

Demonpenz
10-10-2011, 04:55 PM
I’ve stopped getting groupons. I used to love them for restaurants – get $30 for $15 and use the whole thing for drinks. Then I got one for a bar, and when we went they said it was against state law to discount alcohol, so we had to order their crappy food. Ever since then, they all say “not valid for alcohol” or limit it to some food “package” (like an appetizer, entrée, dessert combo).

I have heard that companies can get into serious trouble with those things. Thousands of people buy $40 for $20, spend only their $40 and not a cent more, and never go back. With the tight margins at restaurants, that will put someone out of business real quick.

I’ve also read it’s a flawed business model and won’t be around forever. And heard it compared to a Ponzi scheme, but can’t remember where I saw that.

wall street journal

|Zach|
10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Bargain hunters are shitty customers. They spend less and are bigger drama queens.

gblowfish
10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
I've used two Groupons, one at Manny's, one at Woodyard BBQ. Both placed I eat at anyway, so it was a good deal. My "bill" at Woodyard ended up being .14. So I tipped the guy behind the counter five bucks.

luv
10-10-2011, 05:00 PM

Most places I see do a "special of the month."

Baconeater
10-10-2011, 05:03 PM
The best way to get repeat business is to not serve shitty food or give shitty service.

notorious
10-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Bargain hunters are shitty customers. They spend less and are bigger drama queens.

Not all, but most.

Cheap bastard night ($1 Tacos) at a bar I worked at brought out the biggest pieces of shit customers.

mnchiefsguy
10-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Groupon deals can be very tough on a business margins, because Groupon gets half of the asking price of the offer as their fee for marketing the offer. So if you get a 50 gift cert for 25 bucks, the business is only getting 12.50, groupon is getting the other half.

Not sure if the cut the dentist in the OP a better deal or not, but that is the standard for restaurants type deals. A Groupon rep called me wanting to a deal for the drive-in I work for, and that was their fee. They want the product at a least 50% off, and then they get half of the price that is offered.

So I can easily see businesses not wanting to do Groupon anymore if it fails to draw in repeat business. A one time loss on a transaction is workable if you know the customer is going to come back and increase your overall traffic. If it is a one-time shot, then a business can lose money real quick.

Stewie
10-10-2011, 05:06 PM

And those are people searching for 15-20% off. I can't imagine what a 50% discount customer is like.

BigRedChief
10-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Used Groupon to get a massage, a ocean fishing trip, a portrait sitting and paddleboat lessons.

Works for me

Stewie
10-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Used Groupon to get a massage, a ocean fishing trip, a portrait sitting and paddleboat lessons.

Works for me

The point is, did it work for the business? From everything I've read about groupon it's not a deal for the business.

BigRedChief
10-10-2011, 05:12 PM
The point is, did it work for the business? From everything I've read about groupon it's not a deal for the business.uhhhh the point is ....does it work for me, not the business. They can elect to sell their wares for whatever they choose and I can elect or not to buy at that price.

|Zach|
10-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Also the business only gets about half of the money from the sale after the discount.

So if I sold a BBQ sauce for 10 dollars and sold it as a GP for 5 dollars I would get 2.50 of that.

Stewie
10-10-2011, 05:17 PM
uhhhh the point is ....does it work for me, not the business. They can elect to sell their wares for whatever they choose and I can elect or not to buy at that price.

It's marketing. Businesses sign up thinking that it's good exposure and will offer discounts thinking it will bring in repeat business. It's not working because it's a bad model based on cheap people like you. They sold you something for equal or less than it cost them to provide and you took it. Good for you.

ChiefsFanatic
10-10-2011, 05:23 PM
If the food is good, and the service is good, then people who bought the groupon will come back. If your food and service suck, that's probably why you are using groupon to market your business. I have used groupons for places I will definitely go back to.

BigRedChief
10-10-2011, 05:25 PM
It's not working because it's a bad model based on cheap people like you. They sold you something for equal or less than it cost them to provide and you took it. Good for you.Cheap people like me? :facepalm:

A business advertises a product and I buy it at the advertised price and I've done something wrong?

Stewie
10-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Cheap people like me? :facepalm:

A business advertises a product and I buy it at the advertised price and I've done something wrong?

I would call someone trolling for coupons cheap, yes.

BigRedChief
10-10-2011, 05:32 PM
I would call someone trolling for coupons cheap, yes.your a funny guy. Poor businesses being taken advantage of by people buying their product.

We are the 99%! ;)

mnchiefsguy
10-10-2011, 05:32 PM

Given how overpriced many things are these days, I would not call anyone cheap who shops around for the best price. People have the right to spend their money as they see fit, so if they can find a coupon, that is great.

The businesses know exactly what they are getting into. The Groupon folks are straight forward with what they charge for their services, so it is up to the business to decide if it is in their best interest to offer something at a deep discount, and share proceeds with Groupon.

GloryDayz
10-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Chiefs might need a groupon soon..

Dayze
10-10-2011, 05:37 PM
i've probably used Groupon twice. Once for Blanc Burgers, and once for Old Navy. both essentially 50% off.
In terms of marketing, it worked for me at Blanc; I really enjoyed the burger I had and we've been back twice since then. Old Navy, I would've shopped there for t-shirts anyway during sales etc.

so, I think it worked for Blanc in my instance.

38yrsfan
10-10-2011, 05:39 PM

That's a pretty skewed look at how people live on a budget. You never use coupons and always insist on paying full price?

Do you add extra so they will think you have more money than you need?

My wife would love to discuss "cheapness" with you, but if I were you I'd wait until she puts down the scissors she uses for cutting out the coupons.

mnchiefsguy
10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
I wish my wife and I couponed better, especially after seeing an episode the extreme couponing on TLC. That show is crazy, people using coupons and discounts to get $1000 worth of groceries and stuff for 14 cents.

Der Flöprer
10-10-2011, 05:48 PM
I wish my wife and I couponed better, especially after seeing an episode the extreme couponing on TLC. That show is crazy, people using coupons and discounts to get $1000 worth of groceries and stuff for 14 cents.

I guarantee that is a full time job and then some. I'm cheap as fuck, but I have a job.

mnchiefsguy
10-10-2011, 05:53 PM
I guarantee that is a full time job and then some. I'm cheap as fuck, but I have a job.

It has to be. My question after watching that show was..where in the hell do these people get all of the coupons.? They will have like 50-60 coupons for the same item...are they buying that many Sunday newspapers? I have heard there are places where you can buy coupons, but that seems to defeat the purpose, unless they are really cheap. My wife does not work, she stays at home with our youngest daughter, so she could spend some more time looking for coupons, and probably would if I pushed her to do so.

Bewbies
10-10-2011, 05:56 PM

We have a group of women at our church that do that and donate everything to local schools to help feed poor families.

Watching the people with a garage full of deodorant they got for free is sick.

luv
10-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I guarantee that is a full time job and then some. I'm cheap as ****, but I have a job.

I am facebook friends with a girl I graduated from high school with. She was featured in the newspaper here a month or two ago for her couponing. She's not the type that goes to the extreme and buys so much bulk that they'll never use everything. She went to some couponing class one time with a group of girlfriends. She gave it a try, and now she loves it. She said it took some time to get started and to get organized, but, now that she's into it, she spends maybe two to three hours per week clipping coupons.

mnchiefsguy
10-10-2011, 05:59 PM
We have a group of women at our church that do that and donate everything to local schools to help feed poor families.

Watching the people with a garage full of deodorant they got for free is sick.

On the episode of the couponing show we watched, a lady got $500 worth of groceries for $30, and then used them to make dinner for her church. She couponed and wound up being able to feed 200 people. I thought that was pretty cool.

mnchiefsguy
10-10-2011, 06:00 PM
I am facebook friends with a girl I graduated from high school with. She was featured in the newspaper here a month or two ago for her couponing. She's not the type that goes to the extreme and buys so much bulk that they'll never use everything. She went to some couponing class one time with a group of girlfriends. She gave it a try, and now she loves it. She said it took some time to get started and to get organized, but, now that she's into it, she spends maybe two to three hours per week clipping coupons.

Setting up the system, getting organized, and getting a source for the coupons looks like the hardest part. You can tell these folks on TV are well organized, they have huge binders full of coupons sorted by category and the like. I would imagine once it is set-up, the time needed to keep it maintained would likely diminish.

Dayze
10-10-2011, 06:05 PM
we coupon via the sunday paper and clip the stuff that we like/use. Last week we saved $27. or, 27%.

but, sometimes we only save $5, or $2 etc. it fluctuates. i'lll tell you one thing though, I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a sunday paper and there were ZERO coupons in it. I would bet money there are sad people out there that gank all the coupons from multiple papers, then stuff them into the one paper they're buying. Pisses me off. now i check before I buy them.

evenfall
10-10-2011, 06:20 PM
You can get KU tickets on there pretty cheap :)

teedubya
10-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Say you are a restaurant...

You offer a $10 for $20 worth of food.

Well, of the $10... Groupon, LivingSocial...etc, get 50%... or $5 of it.

Of the $5 that you get... you still have credit card charges taken out which is normally a $2 or so... so of the $20 of food you "sold", you keep about $3.

whoman69
10-10-2011, 06:35 PM
I used to work for the entertainment books and the offers given by restaurants are getting tighter with the economy, clear back to 2008. Commonly we used to ask them to try to give 50% off or buy one get one free. Their margins have been greatly cut and most are going to a minimum purchase and a dollar amount off the order.

JD10367
10-10-2011, 06:38 PM
I have a shitload of Groupons, almost all of them for restaurants. Hard not to like a deal where you pay $10 for $20 worth of food, or $25 for $50, etc.,. I've gotten them for everything from fast food (Chipotle) to five-star steakhouses. And every place has taken them with a smile, and at every place we usually spend twice as much as the Groupon is worth (and, yes, we tip on the full amount before the Groupon). There have been a couple of local restaurants that I never would've frequented without a Groupon, and we liked it so much we've gone back without one. If it was such a horrible deal for the restaurants, they wouldn't be doing it.

doomy3
10-10-2011, 07:43 PM
I guess I don't understand the rage from the OP. So, his regular price is $4800 instead of the $7000 that it said. He is offering these for $3000. Unless my math is wrong, that is still a savings of $1800 off his regular price. Isn't that a good deal for someone who would want this?

dirk digler
10-10-2011, 08:00 PM
I have a shitload of Groupons, almost all of them for restaurants. Hard not to like a deal where you pay $10 for $20 worth of food, or $25 for $50, etc.,. I've gotten them for everything from fast food (Chipotle) to five-star steakhouses. And every place has taken them with a smile, and at every place we usually spend twice as much as the Groupon is worth (and, yes, we tip on the full amount before the Groupon). There have been a couple of local restaurants that I never would've frequented without a Groupon, and we liked it so much we've gone back without one. If it was such a horrible deal for the restaurants, they wouldn't be doing it.

Yep. I think it is a great deal for restaurants because some of those places I wouldn't have gone to unless they offered a good deal.

And Stewie is a jackass for thinking people are cheap that use coupons.

Groves
10-10-2011, 08:07 PM
I guess I don't understand the rage from the OP. So, his regular price is $4800 instead of the $7000 that it said. He is offering these for $3000. Unless my math is wrong, that is still a savings of $1800 off his regular price. Isn't that a good deal for someone who would want this?

The OP has a problem with the competing dentist because marketing works.

The competing dentist is bending the rules of groupon which requires at least a 50% discount from the regular price.

This situation will hopefully escalate into a real battle complete with a few deaths and scandals, and culminate with the invention of a new History Channel program "Dental Wars".

Go get em, Tooge.

BigRedChief
10-10-2011, 09:30 PM
If it was such a horrible deal for the restaurants, they wouldn't be doing it.You still should be ashamed of yourself for purchasing their advertised product.

/Stewie

loochy
10-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Dear Groupon,

My name is Demonpenz. I am very unhappy with your service. I expected to get 2 meals for the price of 1 but instead I got 2 meals for the time,price, frustration of 100. I went to Applebees (where I planned on proposing to my girlfriend) we ordered the same thing as we always do. Two Juicy ass steaks, some fries, pie, Wingless wings, and first off the lady running the show was a complete dipshit. She acted like we never go there or something. I screamed at her to bring me the ususal and she said I don't know what your ususal is! She also demanded that I stop "Snaking" the people outside at Sheridans. After I put ketchup on all my food I was scared of what was going to come next. They wouldn't give me a refill on steak. What kind of bullshit place is this. You know how many times I have stopped here before a molly hatchet concert? I was so pissed I stole the Desert of the day from the back where some guys from Ecudoor and his boys were no doubtly trampling an american flag. I expect something better next time around, like 2 for 1 Big Johnson T-shirts and co-ed naked tshirts. Thanks

Man Demonpenz you ALWAYS freakin' go to Applebees.

RINGLEADER
10-10-2011, 11:14 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if Groupon wasn't around a year from now. They staked their future on an IPO and the CEO has evidently screwed up the filings, over-reported revenues (counting the full value of the coupons instead of the actual half-priced value), etc. Many are questioning if their IPO will go through and without the capitalization if they'll be around.

They should have taken the $6 Billion Google offered...

RINGLEADER
10-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Yep. I think it is a great deal for restaurants because some of those places I wouldn't have gone to unless they offered a good deal.

When you start to see how much you can save from coupons it puts it in a whole new perspective. I recently married into couponing (would never have done it before) and she frequently comes home with free stuff and usually gets about a 50-60% discount. Over a year it comes out to be thousands and o er a decade it will be tens of thousands in savings.

ChiefsCountry
10-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Coupons outside of grocery store business is not a really good marketing stragety for most business. The people who tend to use coupons are more price driven than brand/store loyal and are more likely not to be repeat customers. Pizza stores are generally the best resturants to do well with a coupon though since their margins are pretty high on pizza, they can get away with it.

tooge
10-11-2011, 09:28 AM

The "rage" from the OP is from the fact that the advertisment is a total lie. If Cheerios markes up a box of cereal from $2 to $4 and then tells you that you can get a coupon for 50% off, you still pay $2, which is what everyone else that bought them the week before paid. FFS, offer a good product, if you want to do a "deal" on it, then do a deal on it, don't mark up the price first and then bs your customers into thinking they got an unbelievable deal when in fact, they got a so so deal. My point is that Groupons stating that you are getting the 50% or 60% or whatever off, is really just bs, as I stated in my original post. What happened to honesty? BTW, not a single one of those patients will go back to that office, and they will be "upsold" on everything from whitening to veneers while they are there. I guess I'm old fashioned with regards to treating customers a certain way. I also spoke with a restaurant owner in Liberty about Groupon and he said it was one of the biggest marketing mistakes he's ever done. I live by certain priciples, and Groupons business practices violate them, that is all.

jiveturkey
10-11-2011, 09:42 AM
In the past I have bought items that are on sale. Does that qualify me for team jackass?

Phobia
10-11-2011, 09:49 AM
I get what you're saying, tooge. I feel the same way about Groupon. We participate in the restaurant side of Groupon but we keep patronizing the place (as long as it is good). Groupon is really bad for most businesses. I could never use it for any of my businesses and hope to even break even.

Nzoner
10-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Coupons outside of grocery store business is not a really good marketing stragety for most business. The people who tend to use coupons are more price driven than brand/store loyal and are more likely not to be repeat customers. Pizza stores are generally the best resturants to do well with a coupon though since their margins are pretty high on pizza, they can get away with it.

Being in the advertising business I disagree of course.

Quick example,I have a breakfast/lunch restaurant(not a hole in the wall but very nice) whose previous owner would not coupon and was always complaining about overall business.He recently sold out to a new owner who allowed me the opportunity to mail a buy 1 get 1 free omelette coupon.As of last week when we talked his sales are up 32% over the previous owner from last year.

Lastly,whenever I'm visiting with a potential and/or existing client I do my best to educate on couponing and my one statement which is always consistent is,"A monkey can give away something for free,the whole idea behind couponing is add-on sales.This can be repeat business yes but more importantly at the time coupon is redeemed."

In regards to this particular client his coffee and juice sales are way up plus by making the coupon limit 1 per table he is seeing parties of 4 thus getting full price for 2 meals plus drinks.It's a difficult job sometimes even after 20+ years but I still have major challenges trying to get business owners to see the value of couponing IF it's done the proper way.

phisherman
10-11-2011, 10:21 AM
it's pretty harsh to say that anyone is a jackass for saving money.

i've used coupons forever. if i want a $100 item and i can get it for $50, well, it seems logical that i can obtain more goods with the $50 that i saved by not buying it at full price.

i have known people before that refused to use coupons. i never quite understood it.

Saulbadguy
10-11-2011, 10:28 AM

Jesus, you are a dumbass of epic proportions.

Nzoner
10-11-2011, 10:36 AM
it's pretty harsh to say that anyone is a jackass for saving money.

i've used coupons forever. if i want a $100 item and i can get it for $50, well, it seems logical that i can obtain more goods with the $50 that i saved by not buying it at full price.

i have known people before that refused to use coupons. i never quite understood it.

I have a few people who call our office and want off the mailing list and if I visit with them I always ask do you not go to Arby's,Pizza Hut,Dunkin' Donuts,etc. and most always they say yes to which I reply well they have valuable coupons in our publication and almost always I hear I don't care I don't use coupons :rolleyes:

doomy3
10-11-2011, 11:03 AM
The "rage" from the OP is from the fact that the advertisment is a total lie. If Cheerios markes up a box of cereal from $2 to $4 and then tells you that you can get a coupon for 50% off, you still pay $2, which is what everyone else that bought them the week before paid. FFS, offer a good product, if you want to do a "deal" on it, then do a deal on it, don't mark up the price first and then bs your customers into thinking they got an unbelievable deal when in fact, they got a so so deal. My point is that Groupons stating that you are getting the 50% or 60% or whatever off, is really just bs, as I stated in my original post. What happened to honesty? BTW, not a single one of those patients will go back to that office, and they will be "upsold" on everything from whitening to veneers while they are there. I guess I'm old fashioned with regards to treating customers a certain way. I also spoke with a restaurant owner in Liberty about Groupon and he said it was one of the biggest marketing mistakes he's ever done. I live by certain priciples, and Groupons business practices violate them, that is all.

This practice isn't specific to Groupon, but I'm sure you know this. The "MSRP" is often inflated and most people sell below that MSRP. When you buy an item off an online retailer, they often list the "retail" price as very high, but never sell anything at that price. Then when they have a sale, they still list that high MSRP to appear that it is a better deal. This is a simple marketing practice.

Fact is though, it is still a good deal for the consumer. Who really cares what the MSRP is? All that matters is if the consumer is saving money off what it typically costs. In this example, the consumer is saving $1800 off of their dental services, which is still a hell of a deal.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-11-2011, 11:04 AM

:spock:

I didn't realize it was the job of the consumer to piss their money away on a product that the proprietor is willing to say for less.

DJ's left nut
10-11-2011, 11:45 AM

Stewie is a jackass in general.

ChiefsCountry
10-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Being in the advertising business I disagree of course.

Quick example,I have a breakfast/lunch restaurant(not a hole in the wall but very nice) whose previous owner would not coupon and was always complaining about overall business.He recently sold out to a new owner who allowed me the opportunity to mail a buy 1 get 1 free omelette coupon.As of last week when we talked his sales are up 32% over the previous owner from last year.

Lastly,whenever I'm visiting with a potential and/or existing client I do my best to educate on couponing and my one statement which is always consistent is,"A monkey can give away something for free,the whole idea behind couponing is add-on sales.This can be repeat business yes but more importantly at the time coupon is redeemed."

In regards to this particular client his coffee and juice sales are way up plus by making the coupon limit 1 per table he is seeing parties of 4 thus getting full price for 2 meals plus drinks.It's a difficult job sometimes even after 20+ years but I still have major challenges trying to get business owners to see the value of couponing IF it's done the proper way.

I agree with you if its done right, coupons can be a great marketing tool but for the most part its not something I would recommand for most businesses for their marketing plan.

ct
10-11-2011, 03:09 PM

So if you feel they have some shady marketing scheme goin on then go straight to the Groupon "Discussion" and blow it open. Straight to the scene of the crime my friend. Just stay Anon...