PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports TCU Joins Big 12

Buehler445
10-10-2011, 09:59 PM
For those of us not reading that pile of shit Conference Realignment Thread. If you think it is a repost, lick my balls.

FORT WORTH, Texas -- TCU accepted an invitation to join the Big 12 on Monday night, seizing an opportunity to be a part of a conference with natural geographic rivals despite the league's recent instability.

The board of trustees unanimously approved the move and Chancellor Victor Boschini Jr. made the expected announcement in front a packed room of more than 200 people. Athletic director Chris Del Conte fought back tears as he recalled receiving the phone call from the Horned Frogs' new conference last week.

"This is living proof that dreams do come true," he said.

The move could provide some much-needed stability for the Big 12, which lost Nebraska (Big Ten) and Colorado (Pac-12) over the summer and will lose Texas A&M to the Southeastern Conference next year. Missouri is also exploring a move to the SEC.

TCU has a strong football background that includes celebrated athletes from the 1930s -- including Heisman Trophy winner Davey O'Brien and All-American Sammy Baugh, who both played in the NFL. More recent alums include New York Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson and Cincinnati Bengals rookie quarterback Andy Dalton.

The Horned Frogs went 13-0 last season and won the Rose Bowl. They also went undefeated in the 2009 regular season, then lost to Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl.

"It was a challenge winning the Rose Bowl ... and there's been a lot of people that told us we couldn't do a lot of different things, and so we're going to take it one step at a time," football coach Gary Patterson said after the announcement. "It's not going to be easy ... but I do believe that if the Big 12 did not feel like we couldn't be competitive in the league, then they wouldn't have asked us."

Patterson said the financial benefit of being in the Big 12 and resuming those rivalries also will help Fort Worth.

"Are you going to win 10 to 12 games every year? Probably not," Patterson said. "But the key is ... to have a chance to challenge for the conference title, always try to get back to bowl games, and that's going to be our goal is to do it like we've always done it: one game at a time."

Big 12 interim commissioner Chuck Neinas told the crowd that TCU has an outstanding academic record as well as athletics.

TCU currently competes in the Mountain West Conference and was set to join the Big East next July. Instead, the Big 12 went public with its interest in TCU last week and set the stage for the private university to stay closer to home. It officially joins the Big 12 on July 1.

Del Conte said TCU will not be required to give the 27 months' notice to leave the Big East but must pay the exit fee. He declined to confirm it was the $5 million required by the Big East policy.

Several Big 12 coaches welcomed the idea of having TCU in the league.

"They're an excellent program," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said. "You see what they've been doing throughout the year. I love the proximity for the fans. It's another game that's relatively close and in this region, so I think it's great."

Also Monday, Big East school leaders authorized the conference to add enough members to have 12 teams for football. With Syracuse and Pittsburgh leaving for the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Big East would be down to six football schools without TCU: West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida, Rutgers and Connecticut.

"Although never having competed as a member of the Big East Conference, we are disappointed with the news that TCU is joining the Big 12," Big East commissioner John Marinatto said in a statement. "As noted earlier today, our presidents met via teleconference this morning to focus on the future and have authorized us to engage in formal expansion discussions with additional institutions. We anticipate taking action in the near future."

SEC leaders also met Monday for their regularly scheduled fall session but took no action on expansion. The league will have 13 members once Texas A&M joins in July, leading to speculation about whether Missouri or other schools will be added to balance things out.

As for the Big 12, adding TCU would give it 10 members going into next season without further changes.

Kansas State coach Bill Snyder said he has "always been in favor of a Big 12 Conference with 12 teams, and two divisions and a championship."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/7085749/big-12-vote-unanimous-allow-tcu-horned-frogs-2012-13

loochy
10-10-2011, 10:01 PM
As a Fort Worthian and a regular attendee of TCU games, this makes me really excited. It'll be nice to see some of the big teams come to town.

pr_capone
10-10-2011, 10:03 PM
For those of us not reading that pile of shit Conference Realignment Thread. If you think it is a repost, like my balls.

http://smallbuck.com/nashvillewebdesign/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/facebook_like_button_big.jpg

Buehler445
10-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Saul called me a dumbass because I thought we should add them in this (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=7213140) thread.

Perhaps I am a dumbass, but it happened anyway.

Buehler445
10-10-2011, 10:04 PM
This is a repost so therefore... I like your balls.

Fuck. I can't even talk trash correctly. Now you have to lick them.

stlchiefs
10-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Good news for the Big 12(10). Hopefully they can keep it together. Either this is a positive sign for the conference that a new school is willing to join or shows that TCU is ignorant. I'd prefer the former.

loochy
10-10-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm glad you posted this thread. I never look at that other stupid thread. It's too big and I don't feel like reading the bs from the wannabe experts.

Sam Hall
10-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Look at what state they're from...

stlchiefs
10-10-2011, 10:06 PM
I'm glad you posted this thread. I never look at that other stupid thread. It's too big and I don't feel like reading the bs from the wannabe experts.

2nd. "Official" threads that run that long and contain numerous stories are great for those that like to debate the same thing over and over, but terrible for sharing updates.

Bambi
10-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Great addition for Big 12 football.

Good to have another BCS bowl game winner added to the conference.

Buehler445
10-10-2011, 10:11 PM

I don't give a fuck. If it keeps the conference from folding up, its fine with me. I really don't like the idea of "super conferences".

Why do you give a shit about the big 12 anymore?

loochy
10-10-2011, 10:12 PM

I don't understand what you are getting at.

Sam Hall
10-10-2011, 10:14 PM

It's just more of the same in that conference. Texas, Texas, Texas.

Buehler445
10-10-2011, 10:14 PM

The Texas league, blah blah blah.

Sam Hall
10-10-2011, 10:15 PM
I don't give a ****. If it keeps the conference from folding up, its fine with me. I really don't like the idea of "super conferences".

Why do you give a shit about the big 12 anymore?

Don't assume that I give a shit.

loochy
10-10-2011, 10:15 PM
The Texas league, blah blah blah.

Oh. Well, if there were any other big schools that were in the area and wanted to join, I'd be for that too. What do you want, UM Rolla or something?

Buehler445
10-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Don't assume that I give a shit.

Then STFU

Sam Hall
10-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Then STFU

I take my fair share, so I can dish it out. This is also a place where we're free to post in any thread we want. I've learned that the hard way. If you don't like my posts, I couldn't care less.

WV
10-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Fuck TCU...coming to the Big East didn't make geographical sense, but switching after you've already committed to the BE is BS. I hope the BE makes them pay the entire buy out clause.

Bugeater
10-10-2011, 10:34 PM
I can't believe they were going to join the Big East. That doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

58-4ever
10-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Yay. Now we just need a team that can beat Baylor

loochy
10-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Fuck TCU...coming to the Big East didn't make geographical sense, but switching after you've already committed to the BE is BS. I hope the BE makes them pay the entire buy out clause.

So is committing to a conference, then having that conference lose all its teams.

They have to pay 5 mil to the big east.

KILLER_CLOWN
10-10-2011, 10:40 PM
I would much prefer the ville.

Bugeater
10-10-2011, 10:40 PM
And speaking of the Big East, they need to lose their BCS status yesterday.

Bambi
10-10-2011, 10:42 PM
**** TCU...coming to the Big East didn't make geographical sense, but switching after you've already committed to the BE is BS. I hope the BE makes them pay the entire buy out clause.

I hear what you're saying.

But it's not like they have any "tradition" with the Big East.

Plus the exit fee is only like $5 mil.

When the Big East renegotiates with its new schools they will have to make leaving much more expensive than it is now.

WV
10-10-2011, 10:42 PM
So is committing to a conference, then having that conference lose all its teams.

They have to pay 5 mil to the big east.

Losing two teams isn't losing all it's teams, but it's fine...let TCU go from a conference where they could compete year in and year out for an automatic BCS bid to irrelevance in the Big 12.

Still a classless move to renig on going to the Big East.

WV
10-10-2011, 10:44 PM
And speaking of the Big East, they need to lose their BCS status yesterday.

And who would you give it to? Don't give me that Mountain West bullshit either.

ChiefsCountry
10-10-2011, 10:44 PM

Oh please the Big East knew damn well if Big 12 ever came a calling TCU was gone.

Bambi
10-10-2011, 10:45 PM
It's just more of the same in that conference. Texas, Texas, Texas.

What are you talking about?

The state of Texas has like 25 million people in it. Of course they are going to have multiple institutions in the Big 12 Conference.

Kansas has like less than 3 million people and has 2 schools.

By that ratio Texas should have about 20 schools in the conference.

I think three is fine. Especially factoring in Texas A&M running because they can't beat Texas.

Good to see a school have no fear of the opponents on the field.

Bugeater
10-10-2011, 10:48 PM
And who would you give it to? Don't give me that Mountain West bullshit either.
Another at-large berth for one of the real conferences.

WV
10-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Oh please the Big East knew damn well if Big 12 ever came a calling TCU was gone.

Whatever....then why accept in the first place? It never really made sense anyway, but the fact remains it's a BS move by TCU.

Sam Hall
10-10-2011, 10:49 PM
What are you talking about?

The state of Texas has like 25 million people in it. Of course they are going to have multiple institutions in the Big 12 Conference.

Kansas has like less than 3 million people and has 2 schools.

By that ratio Texas should have about 20 schools in the conference.

You're right. You gotta do what you gotta do:thumb:

WV
10-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Another at-large berth for one of the real conferences.

Go to a playoff system and none of it would matter. That's another thread though.

AustinChief
10-11-2011, 03:18 AM
My bet is that Houston is next to get an invite. With A&M leaving, they are an up and coming school (both academically and athletically) that can solidify the Houston Metro market.

Big 12 North
ISU
KST
KU
MU
OU
OSU

South
Tex
TT
Hou
TCU
Bay
+whoever

Ir be awesome if they could pull an Arkansas or LSU but that will never happen... more likely Louisville or Tulane or some crap. If they get Louisville (or another northerly scrub) I would hope they would send one of the Oklahoma schools into the South to keep it balanced (both geographically and competitively)

AustinChief
10-11-2011, 03:20 AM
Whatever....then why accept in the first place? It never really made sense anyway, but the fact remains it's a BS move by TCU.

I would agree except the Big East basically collapsed AFTER they accepted... everyone is jumping ship.. so I don't really blame them.

Garcia Bronco
10-11-2011, 05:54 AM

Yep. They knew what this was.

eazyb81
10-11-2011, 06:19 AM
The only thing TCU to the Big 12 will accomplish is reducing the number of Texas recruits that will consider KU, KSU, and ISU.

Oh yeah, I guess you also lockdown the vaunted Fort Worth TV market.

Congrats.

LiveSteam
10-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Look momma look! Its a bird,its a plain. Its,Its,Its. Awww shucks. Its just a new version of the old Southwest conference

Saul Good
10-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Mike Anderson thinks that TCU moves around too much.

HemiEd
10-11-2011, 07:51 AM

Which one? Give me a hint.

HemiEd
10-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Mike Anderson thinks that TCU moves around too much.

But at least they did commit to something.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Losing two teams isn't losing all it's teams, but it's fine...let TCU go from a conference where they could compete year in and year out for an automatic BCS bid to irrelevance in the Big 12.

Pitt and Syracuse are gone, with WV and UL strong possibilities.

luv
10-11-2011, 08:59 AM
I haven't kept up with any of the realignment threads (including not reading all of this one). Has anyone mentioned anything about Boise State as an addition to the Big 12? What would general opinions be on that? In talking to a few people around here, I've heard two different people say that, if Boise State were to join along with TCU, they would like MU to stay.

mikeyis4dcats.
10-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Boise State hasn't been mentioned much. Not sure how much their recent NCAA issues have with that.

Saulbadguy
10-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Saul called me a dumbass because I thought we should add them in this (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=7213140) thread.

Perhaps I am a dumbass, but it happened anyway.

Yep. Still a dumbass.

Saulbadguy
10-11-2011, 09:25 AM
I haven't kept up with any of the realignment threads (including not reading all of this one). Has anyone mentioned anything about Boise State as an addition to the Big 12? What would general opinions be on that? In talking to a few people around here, I've heard two different people say that, if Boise State were to join along with TCU, they would like MU to stay.

No, stupid idea.

Buehler445
10-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Yep. Still a dumbass.

Still ended up happening.

luv
10-11-2011, 09:39 AM
No, stupid idea.

Why?

Buehler445
10-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Pitt and Syracuse are gone, with WV and UL strong possibilities.

Is that for real? As in they've left the conference? Can anyone give me a readers digest of what's been happening in the Big East?

mikeyis4dcats.
10-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Is that for real? As in they've left the conference? Can anyone give me a readers digest of what's been happening in the Big East?

Pitt and Syracuse left for ACC a few weeks ago, effective 2013. WVU and UL are rumored to the Big 12, and WVU has also been rumored to SEC.

Big East may add Navy and Air Force for football only. Big issue for Big East is they must have 8 full members to remain BCS.

Brainiac
10-11-2011, 09:52 AM

No, stupid idea.

Why?

I was wondering the same thing. Adding Boise State along with TCU doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

Buehler445
10-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Pitt and Syracuse left for ACC a few weeks ago, effective 2013. WVU and UL are rumored to the Big 12, and WVU has also been rumored to SEC.

Big East may add Navy and Air Force for football only. Big issue for Big East is they must have 8 full members to remain BCS.

I did not know that. I guess I didn't realize I'm that far out of the loop.

Pants
10-11-2011, 09:54 AM
WVU and Louisville in the B12 would be fucking awesome.

ChiTown
10-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I was wondering the same thing. Adding Boise State along with TCU doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

Boise State? How in the world does that possibly make any sense whatsoever?

luv
10-11-2011, 09:55 AM
WVU and Louisville in the B12 would be ****ing awesome.

I agree.

Brainiac
10-11-2011, 09:56 AM

Pretty good football team.

ChiTown
10-11-2011, 09:56 AM

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6988468/acc-accepts-pittsburgh-panthers-syracuse-orange-14-team-league

ChiTown
10-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Pretty good football team.

That's not what realignment is about at all. What part of the Boise footprint, other than their good football team from a shitty conference makes sense?

luv
10-11-2011, 09:57 AM

I'm wondering this either way. Everyone keeps saying good idea or bad idea. Why is it a good idea? Why is it a stupid idea?

Mecca
10-11-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm wondering this either way. Everyone keeps saying good idea or bad idea. Why is it a good idea? Why is it a stupid idea?

Boise is only good at football and their academic standard is horrible it's why the PAC 12 keeps turning them down.

Saulbadguy
10-11-2011, 10:01 AM

It adds very little value to the conference.

Teams don't want to travel to Boise, ID where there is little to gain recruiting wise, and there isn't much exposure to big markets.

WilliamTheIrish
10-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Woah!

Hello Mecca.

Buehler445
10-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Yeah, no shit.

luv
10-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Boise is only good at football and their academic standard is horrible it's why the PAC 12 keeps turning them down.

Teams don't want to travel to Boise, ID where there is little to gain recruiting wise, and there isn't much exposure to big markets.

Thank you.

The benefit would definitely appear to be lopsided. I'm sure the people I've talked to are only considering their football records. I knew I could get more information by poking my nose in here.

Carry on. :)

vailpass
10-11-2011, 10:41 AM

Yep. Small stadium with blue turf. Also the rest of their sports program doesn't bring a lot to the table. Small market, low academics, low endowment, low benefit.

Even TCU looks good in comparison.

Raiderhader
10-11-2011, 11:04 AM
The only thing TCU to the Big 12 will accomplish is reducing the number of Texas recruits that will consider KU, KSU, and ISU.

Oh yeah, I guess you also lockdown the vaunted Fort Worth TV market.

Congrats.

How do you figure? It replaces aTm in the conference, it's not an additional Texas school.

It's also a private Christian school, not typically a big seller for a lot of kids.

WilliamTheIrish
10-11-2011, 11:32 AM
How do you figure? It replaces aTm in the conference, it's not an additional Texas school.

It's also a private Christian school, not typically a big seller for a lot of kids.

He's a DeArmond disciple. Honestly, when/if they go this conference will be fine.

If they don't go.... The poor fools will be ridiculed forever.

eazyb81
10-11-2011, 11:44 AM

They don't replace A&M with Texas recruits, which is the point. TCU recruited decently well even though they were in the MWC; they will recruit much better in the Big 12. This is common sense.

Saul Good
10-11-2011, 12:54 PM

They aren't replacing aTm, though. aTm will still get as many, and probably even more, of the good players in Texas. Now, there's another Texas school in a BCS conference. Baylor's program is on the rise as well. Texas schools are getting better, and they are going to lock up more of the in-state talent as they improve.

As far as private Christian schools go, I guess you're right. No football players want to play for Notre Dame. Plus, Texas isn't a very religious state, so that will scare off a lot of the local talent.

Saul Good
10-11-2011, 12:56 PM
He's a DeArmond disciple. Honestly, when/if they go this conference will be fine.

If they don't go.... The poor fools will be ridiculed forever.

This morning, Petro was saying that all of the have-nots in the Big XII should be kissing Mizzou's ass for having the balls to stand up to the rest of the conference. Whether Mizzou stays or goes, your lives just got better because of the concessions made to keep us. KU and KSU get to gravy-train off of our leverage. You're welcome.

WilliamTheIrish
10-11-2011, 01:16 PM
This morning, Petro was saying that all of the have-nots in the Big XII should be kissing Mizzou's ass for having the balls to stand up to the rest of the conference. Whether Mizzou stays or goes, your lives just got better because of the concessions made to keep us. KU and KSU get to gravy-train off of our leverage. You're welcome.

If Mizzou leaves the conference the Big 12 will still be alive and money will flow.

If they stay, every team gets the opportunity to stitch a clown suit on Pinkel (like Snyder did) and the rest of us will have a field day with the fans.

It's win win. So yes, thanks for that.

Saul Good
10-11-2011, 01:19 PM
The money will rain from Provo to Morgantown to Ames to Waco. That sounds like a formula for long-term success to me.

WilliamTheIrish
10-11-2011, 01:23 PM
The money will rain from Provo to Morgantown to Ames to Waco. That sounds like a formula for long-term success to me.

Then I guess you better hope Deaton takes you to the land of milk and honey.

Saulbadguy
10-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Then I guess you better hope Deaton takes you to the land of milk and honey.

Heh. It's Mizzou. We all know how this will turn out.

Saul Good
10-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Heh. It's Mizzou. We all know how this will turn out.

Therein lies the rub.

HemiEd
10-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Did anyone call in and mention ball sack?

WilliamTheIrish
10-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Did anyone call in and mention ball sack?

LMAO

BigCatDaddy
10-11-2011, 01:36 PM
They aren't replacing aTm, though. aTm will still get as many, and probably even more, of the good players in Texas. Now, there's another Texas school in a BCS conference. Baylor's program is on the rise as well. Texas schools are getting better, and they are going to lock up more of the in-state talent as they improve.

As far as private Christian schools go, I guess you're right. No football players want to play for Notre Dame. Plus, Texas isn't a very religious state, so that will scare off a lot of the local talent.

Um... wasn't TCU going to a BCS conference before the Big 12 picked them up? So how does this change recruiting much?

|Zach|
10-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Um... wasn't TCU going to a BCS conference before the Big 12 picked them up? So how does this change recruiting much?

Yea, selling kids on play ball in Texas the Big 12 is the same on selling kids in Texas playing in the Mountain West.

BigCatDaddy
10-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Yea, selling kids on play ball in Texas the Big 12 is the same on selling kids in Texas playing in the Mountain West.

Read again please :facepalm:

It may help a little going from the BE to B12, but I don't see a major change in their recruits coming.

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-11-2011, 01:41 PM
TCU to the Big 12 means I should easily be able to go to a KSU basketball game every year and a KSU football game every other.

eazyb81
10-11-2011, 01:42 PM

It may help a little going from the BE to B12, but I don't see a major change in their recruits coming.

So you are basically arguing that it is no better playing football in the Big 12 than in the Big East. :clap:

|Zach|
10-11-2011, 01:43 PM

Because Texas kids being able to play games in Texas...a lot would have little influence?

You know not what you speak of.

BigCatDaddy
So you are basically arguing that it is no better playing football in the Big 12 than in the Big East. :clap:

I am? :facepalm:

Saul Good

"Hey kids, want to play 9 games a year in Texas including annual games against UT?" sounds a little better than "Hey kids, want to play games halfway across the country against whatever teams are left in a crumbling conference?"

BigCatDaddy
10-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Because Texas kids being able to play games in Texas...a lot would have little influence?

You know not what you speak of.

A little, but I don't see them swiping Texas and OU recruits anytime soon.

WilliamTheIrish

Yea. You are.

Los Pollos Hermanos

Just, KU, K-State and Mizzou recruits.

eazyb81

I'd be embarrassed too if I were you. Now slowly walk out of the thread so the adults can continue the conversation.

kstater
TCU to the Big 12 means I should easily be able to go to a KSU basketball game every year and a KSU football game every other.

If they go back to 12, it'll be once every other year and once every 4 years.

|Zach|
10-11-2011, 01:45 PM

That is a whole different argument.

And that is a good thing... because your first point was stupid as hell. Move those goal posts.

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-11-2011, 01:45 PM
If they go back to 12, it'll be once every other year and once every 4 years.

We'll see. I think it makes more sense financially to stay at 10.

Saul Good
10-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Nobody's saying that. It's the other schools who scavenge the Texas talent who will be most impacted. Iowa State could potentially sell a Texas kid on going to Ames over TCU because ISU plays in a major conference with games against UT. TCU couldn't say that before. Now, there is no reason for any kid to choose ISU over TCU.

BigCatDaddy
10-11-2011, 01:46 PM
I'd be embarrassed too if I were you. Now slowly walk out of the thread so the adults can continue the conversation.

No problem man. What was the prediction on Mizzu's record again you gave me before I go?

Saul Good
10-11-2011, 01:47 PM
We'll see. I think it makes more sense financially to stay at 10.

Not even close. It makes sense to have a conference championship game and 4 non-conference games. Neither of those are feasible under a 10 team setup.

veist
10-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Not even close. It makes sense to have a conference championship game and 4 non-conference games. Neither of those are feasible under a 10 team setup.

The money in the TV deal they signed with Fox was based on them having 10 schools and adding schools isn't going to do anything but add inventory for Fox. If the Conference Championship game and whatnot don't bring in more revenue than adding two schools takes away from everyone else its still a net loss. Now if they're worried about the pickings getting even more slim between now and when its time to deal their first tier rights again they may go ahead and invite more schools anyway knowing that the stronger product will be worth it long term. If they aren't worried you could just see them sitting at 10 for a while because the money for everyone in now is better.