PDA

View Full Version : Life Anyone ever had an epidural steroid injection?

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 10:33 AM
I have two degenerative and bulging disks between L4-L5-S1 in my back that is causing significant sciatic nerve pain down my left leg. I've been going to PT for 3 weeks with no relief. Doc says this is the next step.

Anyone had this done and care to share their experience?

TIA.

Mr. Laz
10-11-2011, 10:38 AM
With me i had to sit on the edge of the table and lean/curl forward. Put my chin on my chest and hunch forward to spread my vertebrae out as much as possible. Then doc stands behind you and gives the shot.

It's scary as **** but it's really not bad as long as the doc doesn't 'miss'

WilliamTheIrish
10-11-2011, 10:39 AM
It's temporary. It's a good fix for some. However, you're still looking at a lumbar laminectomy in the future in most cases.

Stretch, stretch, stretch. And if you can, begin yoga. Many people find that relieves some of the issues of sciatica.

Good luck bro.

Pawnmower
10-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Ouch dude....

Good Luck, hope you feel better after that shit.

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 10:40 AM
With me i had to sit on the edge of the table and lean/curl forward. Put my chin on my chest and hunch forward to spread my vertebrae out as much as possible. Then doc stands behind you and gives the shot.

It's scary as **** but it's really not bad as long as the doc doesn't 'miss'

How long ago did you have it done? I've been told they use a "live X-ray" and contrast to show exactly where the needle is.

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 10:43 AM
It's temporary. It's a good fix for some. However, you're still looking at a lumbar laminectomy in the future in most cases.

Stretch, stretch, stretch. And if you can, begin yoga. Many people find that relieves some of the issues of sciatica.

Good luck bro.

Thanks. I'm doing about 40 minutes of prescribed stretching every day. Hasn't made much of a difference, at least not yet.

stonedstooge
10-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Have had multiple ones in my neck along with radiofrequency shots or burning of nerves. They seem to help for a period of time. help some for over a year and others like me for just a few months

WilliamTheIrish
10-11-2011, 10:44 AM
How long ago did you have it done? I've been told they use a "live X-ray" and contrast to show exactly where the needle is.

Yes it's done under real time fluoroscopy. The beam is limited to the area of interest and the practitioner punches the needle through the meninges and into the canal.

They use lidocaine prior to the spinal needle so it numbs the area of interest. The Lido feels kind of like a bee sting.

FAX
10-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Hospital gown. Long wait in patient staging area. Wheeled into frigid room. Forced to lie on freezing table. Doctor makes jokes. Nurses laugh. A couple of shots in the back. Took 10 minutes. Accomplished nothing. Cost a fortune.

FAX

aturnis
10-11-2011, 10:48 AM
What is the goal of the steroid injection?

Buehler445
10-11-2011, 10:49 AM
It's temporary. If I'm wrong on this, someone correct me, I'm definitely not a medical professional.

I view the pain relief injections as a band-aid to allow you to heal, not as a solution. If you can do what you need to do to rectify the problem with reduced pain, I think that is what they are going for. I really have no idea what the solution is for you, but make sure they're not viewing this treatment as a long term thing. Don't let them give you too much too often, it can FUBAR your soft tissue.

I had some cortisone type product applied to some tendonitis I had in my knee one time. I gave the guy the third freaking degree about it because I didn't want my knee to be one of the horror stories. He told me the dose he was giving me was miniscual compared to what they were doing in the 70's which destroyed cartilage. Then the application method (I forgot the 14 foot long name for it) was electrically. The product had a negatively charged ionization, and they put a positive and a negative on either side of my knee and it forced the product through. I was a lot more comfortable with that than a needle jabbing into my knee, tearing up everything it touched.

Not that any of that does you any good.

Good luck. Backs suck.

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Hospital gown. Long wait in patient staging area. Wheeled into frigid room. Forced to lie on freezing table. Doctor makes jokes. Nurses laugh. A couple of shots in the back. Took 10 minutes. Accomplished nothing. Cost a fortune.

FAX

I was wondering if you'd chime in.

You got absolutely no relief from it? Not even for a short period of time?

At this point, I'm willing to try it because;

a.) Apparently most patients gain some sort of relief whether it be a few weeks or a few months.

b.) We've met the deductible on our insurance, meaning we'll only pay 10%.

c.) Seems like I have nothing to lose (other than $150-$200) by trying.

Buehler445
Yes it's done under real time fluoroscopy. The beam is limited to the area of interest and the practitioner punches the needle through the meninges and into the canal.

They use lidocaine prior to the spinal needle so it numbs the area of interest. The Lido feels kind of like a bee sting.

That makes me hurt just reading those words.

WilliamTheIrish
Thanks. I'm doing about 40 minutes of prescribed stretching every day. Hasn't made much of a difference, at least not yet.

A lumbar lammy is no guarantee of living a pain free life. It's invasive as hell and takes a good while to recover from. It's the last resort. Don't get me wrong, if I needed one, I'd get it. A some folks get relief right away.

But do everything you can to stave that off for as long as possible. If you're heavy, diet. Lose some of that bulk. Do your level best to strengthen the belly. A stronger core will also relieve the stress of the lower back.

Acupuncture, yoga and core strengthening will help you stay lean and fit. And as we all learn - sometimes too late in life - you EARN your health after 45.

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Just for the record, I know this is a temporary solution and not a permanent fix. Also told that I'd only be able to have this done 3-4 times a year, max.

Right now, I'm just looking for an increase in quality of life, even if only for a few months.

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 10:54 AM
A lumbar lammy is no guarantee of living a pain free life. It's invasive as hell and takes a good while to recover from. It's the last resort. Don't get me wrong, if I needed one, I'd get it. A some folks get relief right away.

But do everything you can to stave that off for as long as possible. If you're heavy, diet. Lose some of that bulk. Do your level best to strengthen the belly. A stronger core will also relieve the stress of the lower back.

Acupuncture, yoga and core strengthening will help you stay lean and fit. And as we all learn - sometimes too late in life - you EARN your health after 45.

Surgery is not an option for me. I'd rather deal with the pain, at least for now.

My plan is to continue with PT and the stretching program, possibly try the injection, and try to shed a few extra pounds.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 10:55 AM
If this is just a temporary solution to alleviate pain, are you really willing to continue to do damage to your back as long as you can't feel it?

KCUnited
10-11-2011, 10:58 AM
I had one done by a student at KU Med with the doctor standing behind her giving instructions.

It took me close to 3 years to stretch out of my sciatica.

DenverDanChiefsFan
How long ago did you have it done? I've been told they use a "live X-ray" and contrast to show exactly where the needle is.I had several cortizone shots in my neck (ended up with C5-C7 fused) and they used the x-ray to guide where the needle was. Very easy procedure.

stonedstooge
If this is just a temporary solution to alleviate pain, are you really willing to continue to do damage to your back as long as you can't feel it?

There aren't a whole lot of options Payton

tooge
10-11-2011, 11:00 AM
How did you jack your back up? why is surgery not an option? I agree it should absolutely be the last option, but as young as you are, it may be the option you have to choose sooner rather than later. I've not had back issues, but had tons of shoulder issues. Steroid injections to a truly injured area are a few months of relief at best. They decrease the inflammation around the injury, but that is all. Hope it works out for the best man.

stonedstooge
10-11-2011, 11:00 AM
I had several cortizone shots in my neck (ended up with C5-C7 fused) and they used the x-ray to guide where the needle was. Very easy procedure.

Did your fusion work and alliviate the pain?

FAX
10-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I was wondering if you'd chime in.

You got absolutely no relief from it? Not even for a short period of time?

At this point, I'm willing to try it because;

a.) Apparently most patients gain some sort of relief whether it be a few weeks or a few months.

b.) We've met the deductible on our insurance, meaning we'll only pay 10%.

c.) Seems like I have nothing to lose (other than $150-$200) by trying.

Mine cost a lot more than that. Closer to a grand. I had it done in three locations, though.

It's worth a try, for sure. That's why I agreed to do it. I also had an epidural injection that didn't work for me as well, so I blame myself.

However, as I was waiting in the patient staging area, I had the opportunity to speak with several of the other patients - one of whom, by the way, was a really cute gymnast chick. Blond, blue eyes, leggy, small, but proportionate tittahs, good personality, and she said she had been getting them for years and they worked great. Several other patients there agreed.

I had the treatment at "Elite Sports Medicine" ... same place that takes care of the Titans and Predators. Best group in town, I think. So, I don't think they screwed it up and I conclude, therefore, that the procedure works very well for some people, but not as well for others. The spine is more complicated than it looks.

I agree with Mr. WilliamTheIrish that stretching and exercise is the best thing you can do ... if you can handle it. I finally started using an exercise ball (because, prior to surgery, my back wouldn't allow me to do a lot of other things). I printed out some exercises done with one of those giant balls from the Mayo Clinic web site ... after striking out at the Mustard Clinic web site ... that really helped.

FAX

DenverDanChiefsFan
10-11-2011, 11:02 AM
If this is just a temporary solution to alleviate pain, are you really willing to continue to do damage to your back as long as you can't feel it?The steroids aren't a "pain killer". They reudce the inflamation which in turns reduces the pressure causing the pain.
The reduced inflamation is only temporary in most cases. In my case, it was only a matter of days, but others get months of pain free living and some it can actually be the first step to curing the problem with stretching, excercise, weight loss, etc.

DenverDanChiefsFan
10-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Did your fusion work and alliviate the pain?Did for a while. Just had a CAT scan done on my neck Friday. Waiting to hear from the Dr on what the options are now.
Sounds like another surgery to fix the plate on the front of my spine and add one to the back to make everything more stable.

stonedstooge
10-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Did for a while. Just had a CAT scan done on my neck Friday. Waiting to hear from the Dr on what the options are now.
Sounds like another surgery to fix the plate on the front of my spine and add one to the back to make everything more stable.

I'm glad you still have options. My Dr. told me this Spring "You're ####ed"

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Damn dude, that sucks. How has this impacted your golf game?

I have a fair amount of sciatica, but it's actually due to inflammation in my left sacroiliac (hip) joint. Docs diagnosed me w/ piriformis syndrome and gave me a bunch of stretches to do, which has helped a little.

My personal experience with a decade of back pain has taught me that you can't stretch your psoas and quadratus lumborum enough. YMMV.

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 11:11 AM
How did you jack your back up? why is surgery not an option? I agree it should absolutely be the last option, but as young as you are, it may be the option you have to choose sooner rather than later. I've not had back issues, but had tons of shoulder issues. Steroid injections to a truly injured area are a few months of relief at best. They decrease the inflammation around the injury, but that is all. Hope it works out for the best man.

My back has given me trouble for years. No specific incident, just general wear and tear.

Reason I said surgery isn't an option is because I want to exhaust every other option first, and Doc doesn't think I need it. Plus, I'm interning this semester, student teaching next semester and graduating in May. Don't have the time to take off, rehab and recover from back surgery.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-11-2011, 11:13 AM
My back has given me trouble for years. No specific incident, just general wear and tear.

Reason I said surgery isn't an option is because I want to exhaust every other option first, and Doc doesn't think I need it. Plus, I'm interning this semester, student teaching next semester and graduating in May. Don't have the time to take off, rehab and recover from back surgery.

Have you ever considered seeing an Osteopath? Particularly if you don't want to go the surgical route, they can provide PT exercises, write you prescriptions for pain meds, but they can also manipulate joints if they are also out of whack, plus they are actually doctors.

aturnis
I'm having a lot of problems with my sciatic nerve right now also. Really started Saturday, and I've been pretty well crippled since. Went to my Chiro, and they adjusted me(this was last Thursday, before my crippling) and I felt fine, then out of nowhere boom, crippled. Then when to work yesterday, grin and bear it, try to get into my chiro again, but only one guy in have to wait 'til today. Went to an urgent care last night, and got muscle relaxers and pain meds, neither of which have afforded me any relief as of yet. Took today off, and go to the chiro at 2:20pm. Hope they can do something for me...

I've had chronic lower back problems since highschool, so 10-12 years, and have mostly tolerated the constant dull achy pain.

Question for you guys with the same problems. Does this affect the way you feel as a whole? I'm asking b/c I come home most every night and have pain in all of my joints. Mostly my ankles, wrists and neck to go along with my back. The knees and elbows too, but their less noticeable. Will getting my back, back in wack, help with these problems?

OnTheWarpath58

I have a fair amount of sciatica, but it's actually due to inflammation in my left sacroiliac (hip) joint. Docs diagnosed me w/ piriformis syndrome and gave me a bunch of stretches to do, which has helped a little.

My personal experience with a decade of back pain has taught me that you can't stretch your psoas and quadratus lumborum enough. YMMV.

Golf game?

LMAO

Haven't played since June.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-11-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm having a lot of problems with my sciatic nerve right now also. Really started Saturday, and I've been pretty well crippled since. Went to my Chiro, and they adjusted me(this was last Thursday, before my crippling) and I felt fine, then out of nowhere boom, crippled. Then when to work yesterday, grin and bear it, try to get into my chiro again, but only one guy in have to wait 'til today. Went to an urgent care last night, and got muscle relaxers and pain meds, neither of which have afforded me any relief as of yet. Took today off, and go to the chiro at 2:20pm. Hope they can do something for me...

I've had chronic lower back problems since highschool, so 10-12 years, and have mostly tolerated the constant dull achy pain.

Question for you guys with the same problems. Does this affect the way you feel as a whole? I'm asking b/c I come home most every night and have pain in all of my joints. Mostly my ankles, wrists and neck to go along with my back. The knees and elbows too, but their less noticeable. Will getting my back, back in wack, help with these problems?

Has not for me. Pain in multiple joints all over sounds like a warning sign for rheumatoid arthritis. You should probably talk to a doctor about that.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 11:17 AM
FML.

WilliamTheIrish
10-11-2011, 11:17 AM

Fuck in-A. The psoas muscle originates deep in the L1-L5 spinal column. When that muscle gets tightened down it causes an absurd amount of pain.

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Have you ever considered seeing an Osteopath? Particularly if you don't want to go the surgical route, they can provide PT exercises, write you prescriptions for pain meds, but they can also manipulate joints if they are also out of whack, plus they are actually doctors.

Saw an OSS, who diagnosed the bulging/degeneration via MRI. Seeing a PT'ist now who specializes in spinal injury. I'm getting everything I'd get from a Osteopath, minus the drugs. Prefer not to take them. I'll occasionally pop a Hydrocodone and muscle relaxer (leftovers from knee surgery) before bed on bad days just to get a good night's sleep.

Otherwise, I'm just trying to deal with the pain. Some days are better than others.

KCUnited
10-11-2011, 11:19 AM

You might a chat with your doc regarding arthritis. There are types of arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis being one of them, that are housed in your spine that distribute arthritic pain to various points of the body, shoulders, knees, low back, neck. It can also fuse your SI joints.

FAX
10-11-2011, 11:20 AM

After the car accident (which wasn't my fault, by the way), I didn't feel bad or different at all for a long time. As time wore on, though, the back started aching. Then, I noticed strange symptoms in my legs and shoulders ... occasional numbness, tingling, shooting pain, etc.

Then, all hell broke loose as the back deteriorated further ... unreal pain, no sleep, couldn't sit, couldn't stand. That's when I finally discovered that my back was broken.

I think it's different with every person, frankly ... symptom-wise, I mean. I will say this; I had an employee (young guy) who used to complain about back pain all the friggin' time. I even bought him a special chair to try and quiet him down. At the time, I thought, "Back pain. Pshaw and Patooie. What a pussy." ... I don't think that anymore.

FAX

aturnis
10-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Sucks that I am generally not a "whiner" and just deal with it, and I have an unsympathetic fiance who doesn't understand the way I feel every night when I get home from work. Not to mention today I'm getting calls asking what I'm doing, which is nothing of course and she's pissy about it. I had to remind her that I had to call her for help getting from the couch to bed last night(a call she didn't hear), I have trouble getting out of bed, or picking up my boy, but I do it all anyway. Then, I can't even get the pizza I cooked for lunch out of the stove. Man, wish she could just feel the pain for one day, not just the back, but the joint pain also.

FAX
10-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Sucks that I am generally not a "whiner" and just deal with it, and I have an unsympathetic fiance who doesn't understand the way I feel every night when I get home from work. Not to mention today I'm getting calls asking what I'm doing, which is nothing of course and she's pissy about it. I had to remind her that I had to call her for help getting from the couch to bed last night(a call she didn't hear), I have trouble getting out of bed, or picking up my boy, but I do it all anyway. Then, I can't even get the pizza I cooked for lunch out of the stove. Man, wish she could just feel the pain for one day, not just the back, but the joint pain also.

Your fiance needs an education. Take her to the doctor with you and let him explain that what you're experiencing is no joke.

FAX

luv
10-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I have two degenerative and bulging disks between L4-L5-S1 in my back that is causing significant sciatic nerve pain down my left leg. I've been going to PT for 3 weeks with no relief. Doc says this is the next step.

TIA.

Mine was the exact same thing, only my pain was shooting down my right leg instead of my left. I did the decompression therapy, which helped very little. I was scheduled for three ESI's. Doc said that each dose was slightly more than the one before. He said that I should stop after any that completely helped my back. I ended up only needing two. I opted for the sedation. I actually slept through the first one. I was awake for the second one, but didn't feel a thing.

Brock
10-11-2011, 11:27 AM

She sounds like a real catch.

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Your fiance needs an education. Take her to the doctor with you and let him explain that what you're experiencing is no joke.

FAX

This.

My wife knows me well enough that if I'm complaining about pain, I'm pretty miserable.

But when she saw the MRI, any doubts she had were erased.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 11:30 AM
So who do I go see? Where do I start? I don't have a family practitioner b/c I don't generally care for docs. Most I've dealt with shove me out the door with a pill. Not what I want to say the least.

Do I start at a family doctor or can I bypass him and go directly to a specialist? If I can bypass, will my insurance cover it without a recommendation? I live 30 minutes from the U of I and would really prefer to be there, I just get a better feeling from that place than I do from a general doctor here in Cedar Rapids. Don't know why.

I guess I've always thought a doctor should listen to what I tell them, then to everything they can to solve the mystery of what ails me. Never had that treatment though. Your advice is MUCH appreciated. It would be great to feel great when I get home from the daily grind. I've got a 1 yr. old boy, and want to be a big, active part of his life, and teach him that's it's not okay to just sit and fester your life away. So being active myself seems like the first step of course. Nothing more important to me than being a good dad, I know I can do it with the pain the same way I always have(grin and bear it), but it sure would be easier to be active without all the pain.

luv
10-11-2011, 11:31 AM
This.

My wife knows me well enough that if I'm complaining about pain, I'm pretty miserable.

But when she saw the MRI, any doubts she had were erased.

My mom went to my MRI with me. Mostly because I'd never gotten one. She had, and I didn't want to wait by myself...lol.

Back pain is no joke. And it can happen to anyone. Also, no one truly understands it until they experience it. It was the most disabilitating (sp?) thing I've ever experienced. Some mornings, I could hardly get out of bed, bend over to put pants on, and forget socks or tying my shoes.

FAX
10-11-2011, 11:33 AM
So who do I go see? Where do I start? I don't have a family practitioner b/c I don't generally care for docs. Most I've dealt with shove me out the door with a pill. Not what I want to say the least.

Do I start at a family doctor or can I bypass him and go directly to a specialist? If I can bypass, will my insurance cover it without a recommendation? I live 30 minutes from the U of I and would really prefer to be there, I just get a better feeling from that place than I do from a general doctor here in Cedar Rapids. Don't know why.

I guess I've always thought a doctor should listen to what I tell them, then to everything they can to solve the mystery of what ails me. Never had that treatment though. Your advice is MUCH appreciated. It would be great to feel great when I get home from the daily grind. I've got a 1 yr. old boy, and want to be a big, active part of his life, and teach him that's it's not okay to just sit and fester your life away. So being active myself seems like the first step of course. Nothing more important to me than being a good dad, I know I can do it with the pain the same way I always have(grin and bear it), but it sure would be easier to be active without all the pain.

Who is your insurance carrier?

FAX

luv
10-11-2011, 11:33 AM

You might try a chiropractor. My doctor sent me to one, actually. They did some x-rays and are the ones who started me on the decompression table. Once that didn't work, he sent me back to my doctor.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 11:35 AM

She is asshole. Just doesn't understand. Get that with people who have to go go go all the time, and don't have to deal with the same things as you do. After hearing it so many times, I'm sure all she hears is excuses.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Who is your insurance carrier?

FAX

Local 405 Electrical Union. We're self insured.

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 11:37 AM

Here's how my process went:

Skipped my GP and looked for references for an OSS - Orthopaedic Spine Surgeon. Made sure he was in my network, called and asked if he was accepting new patients without referral. Saw him two days later.

He took X-Rays, which showed little to no room between L5-S1. Between that and the sciatic issues, he prescribed an MRI. Had MRI done two days later. Being severely claustrophobic, that went over fucking great. Went back to his office the following week to see the MRI, and it was obvious even to me. You could see the disks in question bulging and the deterioration.

He gave me two choices: Physical Therapy or the ESI. I chose PT, and am now considering the ESI.

All I can say is thank God for good health insurance.

DeezNutz
10-11-2011, 11:38 AM
You should at least give a natural birth a chance.

Mr. Laz
10-11-2011, 11:38 AM
15-20 years ago

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Oh, and it's up to you, but I'd skip a chiropractor altogether.

One of my best friends is a Chiro, and adjusts me regularly. Even he suggested I see an OSS.

luv
10-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Yeah, my PT was $3600, and the injections were just over $1000 apiece. Dad help with the PT, and I eventually got the hospital paid off. I had insurance, but it never seemed to cover anything, except for very little on the injections, most of my MRI, and I only had the copay on my doctor's visits.

luv
10-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Oh, and it's up to you, but I'd skip a chiropractor altogether.

One of my best friends is a Chiro, and adjusts me regularly. Even he suggested I see an OSS.

That's where I had to go for the decompression table. Of course, it was pretty new whenever I had mine done. It was about five years ago. Those things are probably pretty common by now, as I've heard they've helped people.

OnTheWarpath58
Yeah, my PT was $3600, and the injections were just over $1000 apiece. Dad help with the PT, and I eventually got the hospital paid off. I had insurance, but it never seemed to cover anything, except for very little on the injections, most of my MRI, and I only had the copay on my doctor's visits.

Holy Christ.

We have a $600 deductible, which was met between the MRI and first PT visit.

After that, we pay 10%. So all of my PT appointments have cost $9 each. Estimated out-of-pocket on the injection is $150.

Brock
She is asshole. Just doesn't understand. Get that with people who have to go go go all the time, and don't have to deal with the same things as you do. After hearing it so many times, I'm sure all she hears is excuses.

You need to run away. Seriously.

Brock
10-11-2011, 11:43 AM
Would you consider surgery?

aturnis
10-11-2011, 11:43 AM
You might try a chiropractor. My doctor sent me to one, actually. They did some x-rays and are the ones who started me on the decompression table. Once that didn't work, he sent me back to my doctor.

Actually, have been seeing a Chiro for awhile now. My last adjustment was at the tail end of their day, and they forgot to schedule another appointment. I didn't schedule, then had pain and put it off awhile, I finally went back last Thursday. It had been two months where I hadn't gone.

I'd always been kind of leery of chiro's, but thought I had finally found the right one. I put the "once you go to a chiro, you'll always have to go to a chiro" think in the back of my mind and went. I felt a bit better to be honest, but when I didn't go in for those two months, the wheels fell off. So again I'm kind of apprehensive. I'll see him again today, and hopefully get myself right as far as this disc is concerned, then, I'm thinking I might go the medical route.

It needs to be taken care of.

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Would you consider surgery?

Me or Aturnis?

vailpass
10-11-2011, 11:45 AM

LMAO ouch.

Brock
10-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Me or Aturnis?

You, I guess. My wife has a very similar problem. We went to see a surgeon and came away feeling like there was no guarantee for relief and things could actually get even worse.

FAX
10-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Local 405 Electrical Union. We're self insured.

Call the union. Ask the insurance rep if you need a primary care doc first, or if you can go to a specialist without a referral. The answer is, probably not. Also, make sure the University is on their list of approved providers. That's the wisest course of action.

Then, you find a good Orthopaedic guy (or gal) at the University and make an appointment.

There are things you can do, Mr. aturnis, that can and will improve the quality of your life in many areas ... including your relationship with your fiance. But, you must take action.

I hate doctors, too. Hate 'em. And, I've seen a lot of them over the years due to my battles with Crohn's and the spine problem. Funny thing, though ... even though I detest the bastards, they have saved my life ... twice.

I sincerely urge you to make the necessary calls to get a plan in action, my friend.

FAX

vailpass
10-11-2011, 11:48 AM
This thread is making my back hurt. Good luck to you guys with pain issues; I can't imagine.

KCUnited
Firm believer in chiro, didn't do shit for my sciatica. Acu on the other hand would minimize severe moments, but was always temporary relief. Being married to the stretches and time was the only remedy for me.

aturnis
Brock needs to stop following me around threads busting my balls b/c I had arguments with him about the team and it's leadership ultimately proving to him that the majority of fans here are at the moment behind Haley. Get a life homo.

OnTheWarpath58
You, I guess. My wife has a very similar problem. We went to see a surgeon and came away feeling like there was no guarantee for relief and things could actually get even worse.

I'd consider it as an absolute last resort, assuming the doc thought I needed it or it would help. Even then, it would be a tough decision.

As it stands now, the doc has told me it's not worth it, though that may change with time, especially if one or both disks were to rupture at some point.

luv
10-11-2011, 11:49 AM

JMO, but they talked surgery with me. I wanted the instant relief, no matter the cost. My doctor actually encouraged me to wait it out and try the ESI's first. Much cheaper and the surgery wasn't a guaranteed fix. Also, with surgery, they said there was a chance that the pain would always be there, just not as severe or doing as much damage. I'm glad I went with the ESI's, and I would encourage anyone to try that before surgery.

Brock
10-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Brock needs to stop following me around threads busting my balls b/c I had arguments with him about the team and it's leadership ultimately proving to him that the majority of fans here are at the moment behind Haley. Get a life homo.

Dude, I'm not trying to be mean to you. But the way you described this fiancee's reaction to your agonizing pain is brutal. If you think that's what you deserve, whatever. Not ball busting at all.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Dude, I'm not trying to be mean to you. But the way you described this fiancee's reaction to your agonizing pain is brutal. If you think that's what you deserve, whatever. Not ball busting at all.

No, that's why you've had to reply to multiple posts of mine in the last week whereas before I got into it with you on that topic, I am convinced you didn't even know I existed as we've never had any extended dialogue.

It's cool though, don't really care what a nobody thinks about what they don't know. Really think you should censor your unfounded and unwanted opinions of other posters loved ones though. I've never spoken unkindly of your personal life and would hope you'd be so kind as to shut the fuck up.

I've got it good. I'm a very lucky guy.

Pants
10-11-2011, 12:02 PM

Well, you should probably work on providing better descriptions of your fiance then. The way you depicted her made her sound like a complete bitch. That's not Brock's fault, it's yours.

Brock
10-11-2011, 12:03 PM
No, that's why you've had to reply to multiple posts of mine in the last week whereas before I got into it with you on that topic, I am convinced you didn't even know I existed as we've never had any extended dialogue.

It's cool though, don't really care what a nobody thinks about what they don't know. Really think you should censor your unfounded and unwanted opinions of other posters loved ones though. I've never spoken unkindly of your personal life and would hope you'd be so kind as to shut the fuck up.

I've replied to multiple posts of yours because I disagre with what you said. I didn't realize the staggering amount of butthurt it was going to cause you to have someone disagree with your opinions about a football team. I have maintained a respectful tone with you and you have responded with calling me a bunch of names. So, spare me the "classy guy" act.

Also, if you don't want people commenting on your personal life in ways you don't like, don't share personal information on the internet. According to you, you're in pain, your fiancee thinks you're a lazy pile, and you're okay with it. It doesn't bother me if it doesn't bother you. Shrug.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 12:05 PM
B/c it's unheard of that someone doesn't understand the pain you're in? Like many have said, if you've never had back pain, you wouldn't understand how disabling it can be. Same goes for me and the "arthritic" type pain. It kills my motivation b/c I feel run down. If you don't feel like that, you wouldn't understand.

Besides that fact, I never asked for his opinion on my fiance.

Chiefnj2
10-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Yoga & diet. Build up your core.

luv
10-11-2011, 12:06 PM
One of you has got to let the other have the last word.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 12:07 PM
No butthurt here. No problem with your half wit comments until they become personal and directed at innocent loved ones.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm done, it's not what this thread if for.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I have a solid core, maybe not my lower back, but the rest of the way around I'm good. Did some workout bootcamp classes a couple years back and after a bunch of full sit ups, I'd have shooting pains in my back. They said I needed to strengthen my back muscles and they may have been right, but I don't think the way to do that was to continue doing painful sit ups.

Any good exercises for strengthening lower back muscles?

threebag02
10-11-2011, 12:17 PM
As long as the needle doesn't break off in your scrotum you'll be golden.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 12:18 PM
I have a solid core, maybe not my lower back, but the rest of the way around I'm good. Did some workout bootcamp classes a couple years back and after a bunch of full sit ups, I'd have shooting pains in my back. They said I needed to strengthen my back muscles and they may have been right, but I don't think the way to do that was to continue doing painful sit ups.

Any good exercises for strengthening lower back muscles?

Found this (http://www.realsimple.com/health/fitness-exercise/workouts/strengthen-your-lower-back-00000000026614/index.html) though it seems exercise #2 is lifting with your back and could cause more injury.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 12:19 PM

ROFL

Brock
10-11-2011, 12:21 PM
B/c it's unheard of that someone doesn't understand the pain you're in? Like many have said, if you've never had back pain, you wouldn't understand how disabling it can be. Same goes for me and the "arthritic" type pain. It kills my motivation b/c I feel run down. If you don't feel like that, you wouldn't understand.

Besides that fact, I never asked for his opinion on my fiance.

If I gave a shit about someone, I wouldn't act like you're a lazy POS when you're in pain.

I never asked if you asked for my opinion. I gave it to you anyway. It's the internet.

Pants
10-11-2011, 12:22 PM
after a bunch of full sit ups, I'd have shooting pains in my back

The problem is that you were doing full sit ups instead of crunches or a myriad other ab exercises that don't mess your back up.

DMAC
10-11-2011, 12:22 PM

You live in Wichita... You might want to leave.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 12:25 PM
The problem is that you were doing full sit ups instead of crunches or a myriad other ab exercises that don't mess your back up.

Yeah, tell that to them. Trust me, it was brought up many times in my class, and probably many many others throughout the years and locations. It's a franchise deal, so they get a lot of feedback. Just got the feeling they didn't care. I said fuck that and did crunches instead.

Groves
10-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I went as long as I could without surgery, including 2 spinal steroid shots.

It was in a theater with my wife that I realized, while lying on my back amongst whatever cola spills and juju bee remnants there were, that I was a.o.k. with surgery.

Waking up from the surgery pain free is one of the highlights of my life.

Pants
10-11-2011, 12:35 PM

Wow, I can't even imagine the relief you must have felt at that moment. Nice.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 12:36 PM

It was in a theater with my wife that I realized, while lying on my back amongst whatever cola spills and juju bee remnants there were, that I was a.o.k. with surgery.

Cool. Hope if it becomes his last option, this will comfort Warpath.

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 12:37 PM

What type of surgery did you have?

Chiefnj2
10-11-2011, 12:38 PM

How was the movie?

stumppy
10-11-2011, 12:52 PM
I went through all the PT, steroid shots, and other crap. Finally had the surgery, a 360 degree fusion is what the Dr. called it. I've got a 10 inch scar at my belt line in the front, a 10 inch scar along my spine in back and a 4 inch scar on my hip (where they broke off some bone to add for the fusion). Titanium cages where my disc used to be, titanium plate and screws along my spine and.....thats about it.
It was a hell of a lot to go through and it did not put me back to 100%. But it did help tremendously. I have to say, knowing what I know now that I would do it again. I still go days at a time when I have to deal with the GD,MFing, back pain. But, at least now it's not weeks, months, years at a time like it was. Whatever you decide to do good luck. Hope it works out for you.

SNR
10-11-2011, 01:05 PM
You're probably safer going with the anti-freeze treatment

alpha_omega
10-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Yes I have. For me, it was just a temporary fix. I had the L5-S1 lammy about a year later.

The main thing i can tell you is make sure they get the hole closed after the steroid injection. They didn't with mine and due to the spinal fluid leakage, i was really (and i mean REALLY) sick (i'm talking so sick, i wished i was dead). I went back 2 days later and they did a blood patch to plug the hole in the spine. Again, i say.....MAKE SURE THEY CLOSE THE PUNCTURE IN THE SPINE, or you will absolutely be sorry.

Best of luck to you!!!!!!!

Count Zarth
10-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Are you well enough to attend Arrowhead? This sounds kinda serious.

WilliamTheIrish
10-11-2011, 01:48 PM

One of the all time funnies ( for me, not the person affected) was when that occurred to a patient whilst she sat on the toilet. Big, big woman. They couldn't get EMS personnel into the narrow bathroom to get her out. Had to take her out through the window. Tore the window frame out and all.

Luke
10-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Your Doc is telling you the correct way to go, unfortunately everyone is correct about temporary relief of pain. I have had 1 cervical fusion and 2 lumbar laminectomies. The worst part of the steriod injection to me was when the needle broke the burris surrounding the spinal cord. Surgery should always be a last result.

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Are you well enough to attend Arrowhead? This sounds kinda serious.

Went to the opener and sat during most of the tailgate. Standing or walking for a significant amount of time makes it worse.

Probably not making another trip this year anyway. Lot of money to spend to watch bad football - though I might come up for MNF dressed as Andrew Luck.

Groves
10-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Wow, I can't even imagine the relief you must have felt at that moment. Nice.

Oh, I'm sure you can imagine. Sitting was always more painful than standing or lying down. This wasn't a theater with plush seating, nor unfortunately, clean floors. Being clean is over-rated. Being without pain is where it's at. Having said that, there's lots of suffering in this world that is much worse and longer.

Cool. Hope if it becomes his last option, this will comfort Warpath.

I hope he gets some relief before that scowl becomes permanent (I fear we may be too late.)

What type of surgery did you have?

Don't remember which disc, but a partial discectomy (trimmed it up good), and a hemilaminectomy (the trimming of bone to allow more clearance around the nerves.

How was the movie?

It was Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Quite good, even from my hobbit level view.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 03:58 PM
though I might come up for MNF dressed as Andrew Luck.

Nice. Sure you can grow that manly of a beard?

OnTheWarpath58
10-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Nice. Sure you can grow that manly of a beard?

LMAO

Are you shitting me?

I can grow a beard in about 4 hours - ask those who have met me.

A friend of mine wants to go dressed as members of The Beatles with a sign that reads, "All You Need is Luck."

aturnis
10-11-2011, 04:08 PM
LMAO

Are you shitting me?

I can grow a beard in about 4 hours - ask those who have met me.

A friend of mine wants to go dressed as members of The Beatles with a sign that reads, "All You Need is Luck."

Sweet. The ability to grow a good beard is a gift. I don't know what I'd do if mine came in all sparatic and white trashy-like. Probably shave more, that's for sure.

Pants
10-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Oh, I'm sure you can imagine. Sitting was always more painful than standing or lying down. This wasn't a theater with plush seating, nor unfortunately, clean floors. Being clean is over-rated. Being without pain is where it's at. Having said that, there's lots of suffering in this world that is much worse and longer.

I meant the post-surgery relief. :)

crossbow
10-11-2011, 05:02 PM
You are experiencing a level of pain that is indescribable. It is focused, intense, and never ending. You can choke down massive pain killer pills and it wouldn't even phase the feelings you are going through. I suffered with ruptured discs for over 20 years. My advice is steroid pills. They worked for me and I have been feeling good for the last 5 years. If your doctor isn't suggesting those then get another opinion. The shots don't do much but cover up the agony for about a week or so. The pills build muscle strength around the spinal area and lift the pressure off of the joints. This allows the fibers that hold the discs in place to pull the discs back into the position they belong in. It then allows you to get needed exercise to strengthen the back muscles naturally and therefor keep the spinal cord aligned properly.

aturnis
10-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Yeah, it's worse now. Probably won't be able to work tomorrow, chiro said he could get me in for an MRI without going to another doc first. Think that's what we're gonna do.

BigRedChief
10-11-2011, 10:13 PM
I've had two steroid injections into the spinal cord for a scatic nerve issue this summer. First one didn't work. The second one did. Been pain free for about 3 months.

Bwana
10-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Ouch dude, the best of luck with that. I hope it helps you out.

BigRedChief
10-11-2011, 10:21 PM

That's what I had done. They know exactly where the nEedle is at all times. Out patient . In and out in a couple of hours.

Nzoner
10-12-2011, 07:02 AM

TIA.

Not yet and hopefully not although Doc says it's the next step here too,after an MRI last May I got diagnosed with problems in my thoracic spine and was sent to PT and given pain meds.My PT was 45 minutes and 3 days a week and it took a good 6 weeks before I really started to notice relief.

Unfortunately,fireworks season kicked in and my PT was shot to hell and within a month or so I was back with severe pain,I was able to get some more PT in but with my work situation it's been difficult so I've been doing some at home.

I feel for ya man,the thoracic is connected to the ribs and I cannot even begin to describe how bad the pain gets.At times it's as if a ball of flame is slowly entering my mid back and working it's way all the way through the front of my chest and a vice grip pain encircling my rib cage.For me though it's sitting that flares it up.

Glad I read this entire thread though and thanks to all who chimed in.Keep us updated.

El Jefe
10-12-2011, 07:28 AM

TIA.

Yes, I had had 4 injections. The first one really wasn't that bad, but the other three were just plain awful. What they did was had me lay down on an operating table and they X-Rayed my back to make sure that they put it where they wanted it. Then they shot me with a couple numbing shots around the area, and then they injected me. Honestly it is a very weird feeling, it feels as if your spine is going to implode, you can feel all this pressure on your spine, it is very strange. The first shot worked for me for about half a day, the other three never worked at all. These are short term fixes, surgery is in my future unfortunately as it is for you most likely.

El Jefe
10-12-2011, 07:28 AM
That's what I had done. They know exactly where the nEedle is at all times. Out patient . In and out in a couple of hours.

Yep

kevonm
10-12-2011, 07:53 AM

We hate being called osteopaths.

luv
10-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Yes, I had had 4 injections. The first one really wasn't that bad, but the other three were just plain awful. What they did was had me lay down on an operating table and they X-Rayed my back to make sure that they put it where they wanted it. Then they shot me with a couple numbing shots around the area, and then they injected me. Honestly it is a very weird feeling, it feels as if your spine is going to implode, you can feel all this pressure on your spine, it is very strange. The first shot worked for me for about half a day, the other three never worked at all. These are short term fixes, surgery is in my future unfortunately as it is for you most likely.

Must depend on the person. My first one brought relief for a few days, but, after my second one, I did not need to go back.

Frosty
10-12-2011, 10:29 AM
My mom has suffered from severe sciatica for years and has had a host of treatments that didn't help. She was recently diagnosed with a ruptured disk and had surgery to repair it but it did nothing for the sciatica.

I'm always hesitant to suggest alternatives because people tend to flip out (where's your MD?) but I'll throw this out in case it can help someone like it did me.

I was laid up almost all of last February with severe back pain. It hurt in my lower back, into my hip and in the groin. I couldn't sleep for long because laying down was incredibly painful and turning over was out of the question. Standing or walking was very difficult too, and a cough or even a deep breath would put me on the floor.

I went to the doctor a bunch of times and they were useless. Even after doing a CT scan (which cost me $1200), they had no idea what was wrong and recommended exploratory surgery. :eek:

At that point, I decided to research treatment options. After wading through tons of snake oil and bullshit, I found a paper written by an Australian doctor written for the Australian medical profession comparing the effectiveness of various treatments for back pain. This lead to another similar paper written by a researcher at the University of Washington. The outlook from these looked kind of bleak because the research showed that most current medical treatments for chronic back pain was not very effective.

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/180_02_190104/bog10461_fm.html

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM200102013440508

I did find that my pain was likely related to the quadratus lumborum muscle on my right side. The pain when twisting or taking a deep breath, as well as the pain in the groin, were good clues.

Research the quadratus lumborum muscles and treatments lead me the saveyourself.ca (http://saveyourself.ca/) site. The site is full of treatment reviews and treatment options. After reading through a bunch of the articles on the site, I ended up buying his low back pain e-book out of desperation (hey, 20 bucks is a lot cheaper than the $1200 for the useless CT scan) and read through it (took several days as it's huge). It's incredibly well referenced as are most of the articles on the site. I also like that he doesn't sell anything as "The One True Way". He presents evidence for different treatments for different situations.

I ended up using this treatment (http://saveyourself.ca/articles/perfect-spots/spot-02-quadratus-lumborum.php) to bring my pain from a level 9 to about a 5. I would soak in the tub in the hottest water I could stand and then have my wife work the spot at the end off the bottom rib (the "floating" one).

I found another point by accident. I had my hands on my hips, stretching my back and found where my thumb was pressing into my hip (in the back) was incredibly tender. Working that spot for a while made pain go from a 5 to a 1 almost right away. It turns out that it is the gluteus medius (http://saveyourself.ca/articles/perfect-spots/spot-06-gluteus-medius.php).

Anyway - I know I sound like a groupy or something but I was so relieved when it worked that I want to put it out there in case it could help others. I was terrified that i would have to live it with it and didn't see how that would be possible.

I don't know if it would help OTWP (though this (http://saveyourself.ca/articles/perfect-spots/spot-06-gluteus-medius.php) is supposed to help with sciatica) but it sounds like there are a lot of people here with chronic back problems.

stevieray
10-12-2011, 04:06 PM
damn, what a bummer..hoping it works out for the best.

OnTheWarpath58
10-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Anyone ever tried acupuncture for back pain?

DenverDanChiefsFan
10-13-2011, 11:59 AM

THIS!
Heard back from my surgeon yesterday. My first fusion didn't take, the bones show no attachment to each other. Waiting for the scheduling lady to call me back to get a 2nd surgery. This time they will cut open both the front and back of my neck and put plates in to increase the support.

Good news is, they also told me I have a couple more a bit lower that are showing signs, but don't warrants surgery at this time.

Sent from my phone

DenverDanChiefsFan
10-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Anyone ever tried acupuncture for back pain?

Yes, for my neck. Helped relieve some of the pain, but didn't fix anything.

Sent from my phone

OnTheWarpath58
10-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Getting the injection at 8:00am tomorrow morning. Wish me luck.

Chiefs=Good
10-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Good Luck man. Bulging disks are the worst.

Pants
10-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Getting the injection at 8:00am tomorrow morning. Wish me luck.

So how did it go?

OnTheWarpath58
10-21-2011, 09:54 AM
So how did it go?

Piece of cake.

Kinda sore, but nothing major. We'll see if I get any relief from it.

Pants
10-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Piece of cake.

Awesome. I hope you do get that relief, man.

Amnorix
10-21-2011, 10:07 AM
After the car accident (which wasn't my fault, by the way), I didn't feel bad or different at all for a long time. As time wore on, though, the back started aching. Then, I noticed strange symptoms in my legs and shoulders ... occasional numbness, tingling, shooting pain, etc.

Then, all hell broke loose as the back deteriorated further ... unreal pain, no sleep, couldn't sit, couldn't stand. That's when I finally discovered that my back was broken.

I think it's different with every person, frankly ... symptom-wise, I mean. I will say this; I had an employee (young guy) who used to complain about back pain all the friggin' time. I even bought him a special chair to try and quiet him down. At the time, I thought, "Back pain. Pshaw and Patooie. What a pussy." ... I don't think that anymore.

FAX

I don't do PI work, but I am familiar with such claims, since as a lawyer it's inevitable I suppose.

The problem with back problems is that it's easy to fake and hard to verify. There is NO DOUBT, however, that your quality of life can get seriously screwed up by such issues. A friend had a client who had a large planter pot type thing fall on his neck/shoulder off a 10 foot (or whatever) top shelf at a Lowe's, or Home Depot, or whatever. He wasn't even doing anything -- just walking by at the wrong place and wrong time, apparently, when this thing that had filled with rain water toppled over.

This is a big strong strapping guy -- he was a tanner or shoe repairman or something -- something that involved swing a hammer (but not a carpenter). Owned his own business. You guys would know the type better than me -- salt of the earth type.

It fucked up his life royally. He used to work 10-12 hour days, but he couldn't go much past 4, 6 hours on a good day. He had serious headaches all the time, including ones that would keep him up nights. Golf -- out. Playing sports and all that -- all FUBAR. Wife had to go work to make up the lost income.

But, of course, the settlement amount was peanuts compared to how badly he got screwed by this. Some soft tissue stuff and impossible to verify back issues.

So yeah -- never laugh at someone's back issues. Maybe it's faked, but if they're real, they can easily be really serious.

BigCatDaddy
10-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Piece of cake.

Any help? I'm having the same thing done in a few weeks.

OnTheWarpath58
10-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Any help? I'm having the same thing done in a few weeks.

So far, very little relief. If anything, I've noticed that the sciatic pain doesn't pop up quite as quickly, but when it does, it is still just as intense.

Doc told me it's possible to only see 20-30% relief from the first injection. I'm scheduled for another right before Thanksgiving.

FRCDFED
10-27-2011, 11:51 AM
I didn't read all the other responses but I am going through this process now. I had my second injection a little over a week ago.

The first injection didn't seem to help at all. Shortly after I started physical therapy and traction on my neck. Initially I thought I was only going to get one injection; however, while I was waiting (with many other patients) both the nurse and patients advised me not to expect much out of the first one. After the second one (in conjuction with more physical therapy) I have started to experience some relief. I will most likely have a third one because they told me it is usually a series of three.

BigCatDaddy
10-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Wow, he didn't mention numberous shots to me.

penguinz
10-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Wow, he didn't mention numberous shots to me.It is a series of three injections.

OnTheWarpath58
10-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Wow, he didn't mention numberous shots to me.

He didn't mention numerous injections to me until after the first.

He said some docs space out 3-4 injections over the course of a year, some space them out every 3-4 weeks. He's of the opinion a patient will receive longer-lasting relief by getting 3-4 injections over a 4 month span.

We'll see.

DTLB58
10-27-2011, 12:03 PM

TIA.
I had 12-15 of those shots from 2002-2008
They worked for about 6 months at a time at first
Till eventually they didn't do any good I had surgery to clip
Off the disc at L4-L5.
That lasted about a year and the pain started coming back
I had more shots, which I received minimal relief at that point
Then in 2010 they discovered I had degenerative disc disease
and so they did another surgery where they implanted
A titanium cage in place of the discs.
Recovery was hell! I was off work 10 months.
Still not full recovered but I have been working again
Since Labor day of this year.

All in all the shots do work but if you are at that point
And have leg pain I'm thinking at some point surgery is
Coming.

DTLB58
10-27-2011, 12:05 PM
It is a series of three injections.

At first mine were, but I've even had some since
My last surgery and they just did one.