PDA

View Full Version : Computers For anyone looking for a pre-built HTPC

DaFace
10-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Preface: This is a VERY low-powered device compared to anything you could build. So if you're looking for a powerhouse, this ain't it.

However...

I finally retired my custom-built HTPC the other day for this guy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103368
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3456/rl100.jpg

The processor is essentially an oversized netbook processor, but other than that, it's pretty solid for a basic HTPC. I've played Netflix, Hulu, and VUDU on there without a problem, as well as all my old divx and xvid movies. Bluray and DVD play great as well. It does NOT have TV inputs, so this won't work as a DVR unless you use a USB capture device.

The biggest thing is that it's TINY and looks great in a media center. It's around 12"x6"x1" or so and is less than half the size of my old Bluray player. It's also got a crazy little trackpad gizmo that doubles as a keyboard. Takes a while to get used to, but it's starting to grow on me.

Anyway, it took me forever to find a device that did what I wanted it to do, so I figured I'd post this in case any of you guys are looking for something similar. There aren't a lot of pre-made products in this space in the market at the moment, and this one does its job well and looks great doing it.

The end.

Fish
10-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Hell yeah. That's a very nice little setup. I definitely second this.

I'm not sure what you're running on it. But you could very easily put a XBMC installation on there and have the perfect HTPC. That's very popular around the XBMC community. XBMC provides an infinite amount of streaming content that would run beautifully on that.

Also... there's a cheaper model available if the price scares anyone. The AspireRevo is a slightly dumbed down version of the one above for $220 less. It doesn't have as good of specs, and doesn't have a Bluray/optical drive, but that might not be important to everyone...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103297&Tpk=acer%20aspire%20revo

DaFace
10-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Hell yeah. That's a very nice little setup. I definitely second this.

I'm not sure what you're running on it. But you could very easily put a XBMC installation on there and have the perfect HTPC. That's very popular around the XBMC community. XBMC provides an infinite amount of streaming content that would run beautifully on that.

Also... there's a cheaper model available if the price scares anyone. The AspireRevo is a slightly dumbed down version of the one above for $220 less. It doesn't have as good of specs, and doesn't have a Bluray/optical drive, but that might not be important to everyone...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103297&Tpk=acer%20aspire%20revo

I'm playing with options at the moment, so I'm currently a little scattered. I've got all of my downloaded media in XBMC, but I'm using Windows Media Center for Netflix, Hulu Desktop, and VUDU through the browser. I have Netflix set up through XBMC, but I don't like the interface as much.

Regardless, it'll handle whatever route I eventually end up settling on. :)

DaFace
10-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Oh, and good point about the other options in the Revo line. There's also an RL100 without a Bluray drive (just a DVD drive) for $450 if anyone likes the look of the one in the OP, but doesn't need a Bluray player.

ASUS also has some decent options in the Eee Box line, but I was worried about how the processor would be able to handle HD video.

icepick64
10-12-2011, 10:25 AM
curious, what is the main advantages of this vs say a roku?

DaFace
10-12-2011, 10:39 AM
curious, what is the main advantages of this vs say a roku?

Roku is streaming only, so you'd need to have a different computer somewhere in your house to be able to play any downloaded media like MP3's or DivX videos.
Roku's apps are optimized for viewing with a little remote. That works OK, but the apps are usually a little "dumbed down" compared to full desktop apps.
Roku has to write custom apps for anything new comes out, so there's a delay in how quick you can adopt new technologies. For example, there's no way to play Spotify on a Roku box.
This has a DVD/Bluray built in, so it can take the place of a standalone player. For me anyway, the fewer devices, the better.
Don't get me wrong - Roku is a great option for what it is, and I might even buy one for our bedroom TV at some point. I just like being able to do whatever I want with it rather than having to live with such a restricted setup.