PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Do I cheer for this team because they are the ultimate underdog?

Detoxing
10-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Or am I Just really ****ing high?

Do you enjoy rooting for underdogs? Is that why I root for this lOOser ass team? I've been a fan for 16 years. 16 years and i cant remember a ****ing playoff win. They don't deserve a fan like me......a fan like us.....

Shogun
10-12-2011, 09:52 PM
youre high bro

kysirsoze
10-12-2011, 09:53 PM
youre high bro

yep.

wait... Is this a leaving forever thread?

KurtCobain
10-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Fuck the underdogs. Fucking losers. I like when the favorite whens.

KurtCobain
10-12-2011, 09:58 PM
And I wish the teams I like could be the favorites. That would be soooo sweet.

KCrockaholic
Stop acting like this is the worst fucking franchise in the league. I'd much rather be a Chiefs fan than a Bengals, Bills, Browns, Panthers, Jaguars, or fuckin raiders and broncos fan. But that just cause I hate those last two.

Shogun
...DONT CALL IT A COMEBACK

KurtCobain
10-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I been here for weeks.

KurtCobain
10-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Stop acting like this is the worst fucking franchise in the league. I'd much rather be a Chiefs fan than a Bengals, Bills, Browns, Panthers, Jaguars, or fuckin raiders and broncos fan. But that just cause I hate those last two.

I would be so pissed if my favorite NFL team was in the superbowl a few years ago, and now has franchise QB!

Count Zarth
10-12-2011, 10:02 PM
And when I pull out my posty get ready cuz it might go
BLAAAAW, how ya like me now?

cdcox
10-12-2011, 10:04 PM
I like rooting for dominant front runners, but have never had one as my team.

kysirsoze
10-12-2011, 10:09 PM
I like rooting for dominant front runners, but have never had one as my team.

Yeah, I wish the Chiefs were the Patriots (minus the cheating). Everyone hating them cause they won't stop fucking winning. I want other fans so jealous of me it makes them sick. Who doesn't want that?

Okie_Apparition
10-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Everything dies or goes dormant in the fall
what makes you think your special
Just cause your mothers a whore

kccrow
10-13-2011, 09:23 AM
I enjoy rooting for the underdogs when I have no emotional attachment, such as horse racing or other games my team isn't playing against. If its my team, I want them to be the favorite and I want them to be unbeatable. Like kysirsoze said, I want other fans to be sick of seeing my fav team win.

Phobia
10-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Stop acting like this is the worst ****ing franchise in the league. I'd much rather be a Chiefs fan than a Bengals, Bills, Browns, Panthers, Jaguars.

All those teams are way better than the Chiefs. The Chiefs might be better than the Lions over the past couple decades but the Lions look to reverse all that this year.

Detoxing
10-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Heh.

Forgot I made this.

I think the point i was getting at is, "Why do we keep coming back to this team?"

This team is a perennial loser. They have shown us nothing since 1969. Most people want to be associated with winning teams. So what keeps us here and coming back for more?

I am not saying I'm gonna jump ship. I can't. Feels impossible. You can't just throw away 16 years of being a fan.

But why do we enjoy rooting for a team that never really wins anything?

lcarus
10-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Stop acting like this is the worst ****ing franchise in the league. I'd much rather be a Chiefs fan than a Bengals, Bills, Browns, Panthers, Jaguars, or ****in raiders and broncos fan. But that just cause I hate those last two.

Yeah we aren't as bad as some franchises. We won a LOT in the 90s, and a lot between 2003-2006. We have just had bad luck and/or choked in a few playoff games....

Sofa King
10-13-2011, 09:46 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ygfGGTTo2c0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Phobia
10-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Yeah we aren't as bad as some franchises. We won a LOT in the 90s, and a lot between 2003-2006. We have just had bad luck and/or choked in a few playoff games....

Each of those teams save the Browns have been to the big show since the Chiefs 4 decades ago.

The Chiefs have put up a few 13-3 seasons. If that's your Lombardi then more power to ya. Nobody remembers the Chiefs 13-3 seasons except for Chiefs fans. Win something.

lcarus
10-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Each of those teams save the Browns have been to the big show since the Chiefs 4 decades ago.

The Chiefs have put up a few 13-3 seasons. If that's your Lombardi then more power to ya. Nobody remembers the Chiefs 13-3 seasons except for Chiefs fans. Win something.

No, I totally get the "we haven't won anything" mentality, because obviously we haven't won anything. I'm just saying - up until the Herm years we didn't have a lot of losing seasons for a while. I'd rather be 13-3 and lose in the playoffs than go 2-14 again.

Phobia
10-13-2011, 10:50 AM
No, I totally get the "we haven't won anything" mentality, because obviously we haven't won anything. I'm just saying - up until the Herm years we didn't have a lot of losing seasons for a while. I'd rather be 13-3 and lose in the playoffs than go 2-14 again.

I used to feel the same way and it's a valid line of thought. But I look back at all the busted late 1st round picks and pine for a franchise player to put us over the top.

Look at all the so-called dynasty franchises in the past couple of decades. They all started with dynasty making transactions, generally including picks at the very top of the 1st round.

Extra Point
10-13-2011, 11:20 AM
This team has always been the underdog. At least down 10 pts before SBIV.

bevischief
10-13-2011, 12:45 PM

This team has never been good on both sides of the ball at the same time.

bevischief
10-13-2011, 12:47 PM
I used to feel the same way and it's a valid line of thought. But I look back at all the busted late 1st round picks and pine for a franchise player to put us over the top.

Look at all the so-called dynasty franchises in the past couple of decades. They all started with dynasty making transactions, generally including picks at the very top of the 1st round.

And all the franchise quarterbacks that they have missed picking up.

Coogs
10-13-2011, 12:47 PM

Never say never!

whoman69
10-13-2011, 02:12 PM

I'd say the '66-'71 Chiefs were. They were a top 3 defense. The offense was seen at the time to be the offense for the coming decade that everyone would try to emulate.

Coogs
10-13-2011, 02:16 PM
I'd say the '66-'71 Chiefs were. They were a top 3 defense. The offense was seen at the time to be the offense for the coming decade that everyone would try to emulate.

Yep! Pretty star studded on both sides of the ball.

reschief
10-13-2011, 02:29 PM

We used the tightend for catching passes & we had unique shifts on offense. Heck, even the national media liked us - "Chiefs Paint the Town Red" on SI after upsetting the Jets in NY before going on to win SB IV.

whoman69
10-13-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't see this team as underdogs. When I started rooting for them they had just come off winning the Super Bowl after being the most successful team in the AFL with three championships. The wheels came off soon after and by 1974 they began a long period of futility. I can't say what the reason was why such a well run organization became ordinary to poor. With a few blips on the radar they were nobody until Marty took over. Most of us who remember those days remember the disappointment of being one of the premier teams in the league and never winning in the post season. Twice Marty had the best record in the league and lost their playoff game. Vermeil managed to equal that task in 2003.

I would call the Chiefs underachievers. In the 90s they had a dominant defense with a suspect offense which turned around in the Vermeil years. In the Herm years we couldn't get it going on either side of the ball which put back memories of the Paul Wiggin/Frank Gansz days.

I think on this board you see quite a bit of martyrdom by the fanbase. Not winning or even having been to the Super Bowl in 40+ years will do that. Even more maddening is that most clubs who are underdogs have sniffed some success since we have. The Bucs and Saints were horrid franchises but now have won Super Bowls in the last decade. The Falcons and Cardinals went to the dance once. Even the Bungles had their two Super Bowls in the 80s.

I think the fans are frustrated most by the inability to bring in offensive stars through the draft. This franchise has never groomed a QB successfully. They had a lot of years where they tried to get a franchise rb but could never find one from Paul Palmer to Harvey Williams. Christian Okoye had all to short a career and had a team record less than 5000 yards rushed. It looks like we've exorcised those demons. Bowe looks like the receiver we haven't had since the days of Otis Taylor and now has some other talent with him. Still we look to other teams to develop QBs for us.

Here's to the day we can have someone homemade like Stanzi or RG3 under center.

Crush
10-13-2011, 02:56 PM
3-12 in playoff games since Super Bowl IV.

Dr. Facebook Fever
10-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Heh.

Forgot I made this.

I think the point i was getting at is, "Why do we keep coming back to this team?"

This team is a perennial loser. They have shown us nothing since 1969. Most people want to be associated with winning teams. So what keeps us here and coming back for more?

I am not saying I'm gonna jump ship. I can't. Feels impossible. You can't just throw away 16 years of being a fan.

I was born a month after the Chiefs won the Super Bowl... and I'm a Royals fan... so shut up.

:D

Ugly Duck
10-13-2011, 04:48 PM
I would be so pissed if my favorite NFL team was in the superbowl a few years ago, and now has franchise QB!

Campbell has been playing well lately, but he's hardly a "franchise QB." He's just a guy that doesn't make many mistakes. Thanks for the shout, though... very kind of you!

kysirsoze
10-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Heh.

Forgot I made this.

Because we know that as soon as we stop they will win and then we will have to jump back on the bandwagon with all the other jerks while the fans who were there all along mock us as they should. The shame and regret would be unbearable. So basically fear, to answer you're question. Fear and civic pride.

crispystl420
10-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Because A: We're Chiefs fans not bandwagon bitches!

and B: Because if/when we ever win a Superbowl it will be that much fucking better.