PDA

View Full Version : Misc How many sick days do you use?

DaKCMan AP
10-13-2011, 06:17 AM
I was looking through my time sheet records while completing a health assessment for work to see how many sick days I've used in the past year.

I've used none. In fact, since I started full time in May 2007 I've used a total of 35.5 sick hours, less 4.5 days. 22.5 of those hours were in 2009 when I got H1N1.

Other people I work with use well over 2 weeks of sick time each year, either for themselves or if their kid(s) are sick. There's not set rule but our "guideline" is to use 6 or less sick days per year. It's kind of bullshit how some use way more and others use way less.

IMO, they should just lump vacation and sick days together as PTO.

For those of you who aren't self-employed or retired, how many sick days do you use per year?

cookster50
10-13-2011, 06:19 AM
Only a 1-2 typically, and those are for when the babysitter is sick.

phisherman
10-13-2011, 06:19 AM
I haven't taken a sick day in a couple of years, simply because I haven't really gotten sick in that time frame. Fortunately, my boss will typically let me work from home if I'm feeling under the weather.

To answer your original question though, I probably average 1 sick day per year over time.

MahiMike
10-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Wow, that's a lot of sick time for you. In 3 years, I've had 8 hrs.

Bugeater
10-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Well if they offer them and you don't use them, that's your own fault. If that's how my company worked I'd be using them up if I was sick or not.

rockymtnchief
10-13-2011, 06:22 AM
On average 1-2. But, this year I had a pinched nerve in my neck that made it impossible to function and missed 5.

In 7 years with this company I've built up a total of 580 sick hours that I hope to never have to use.

Dartgod
10-13-2011, 06:23 AM
We get PTO, so sick days cut into my vacation time. I'm usually 0-1 per year.

DaKCMan AP
10-13-2011, 06:24 AM
On average 1-2. But, this year I had a pinched nerve in my neck that made it impossible to function and missed 5.

In 7 years with this company I've built up a total of 580 sick hours that I hope to never have to use.

You're allowed to accrue them?

Huffman83
10-13-2011, 06:25 AM
In our 911 center there are people who are currently being dealt w/ because they tend to have a pattern when they call in sick. My department has an average of 14.5 days of sick time per person and those numbers are due to a large amount of people calling in "sick."

I probably average 3-4 days a year. And anytime I do call in sick I bring in a Dr's excuse to put on file. I tend to have sinus issues which ends up w/ infections.

rockymtnchief
10-13-2011, 06:26 AM
You're allowed to accrue them?

Yes we can.

The nice thing is, if a co-worker suffers a major injury or has cancer, we can pass sick hours on to them. I think I've given away about 100 hours so far. I hope they'd do the same if something major happened to me.

DaKCMan AP
10-13-2011, 06:28 AM
Yes we can.

The nice thing is, if a co-worker suffers a major injury or has cancer, we can pass sick hours on to them. I think I've given away about 100 hours so far. I hope they'd do the same if something major happened to me.

That's Awesome.

Before I started working here they were allowed to buy and sell vacation time. That would have been amazing!

DaKCMan AP
10-13-2011, 06:29 AM
In our 911 center there are people who are currently being dealt w/ because they tend to have a pattern when they call in sick. My department has an average of 14.5 days of sick time per person and those numbers are due to a large amount of people calling in "sick."

I probably average 3-4 days a year. And anytime I do call in sick I bring in a Dr's excuse to put on file. I tend to have sinus issues which ends up w/ infections.

An average of 14.5 days/year? Holy crap that's a lot!

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2011, 06:33 AM
In charge of 40 people = me never sick.

Although in 2008 I missed 4 consecutive days after getting the H1N1 mist. That shit killed me.

Going to be weird going to a new job where they drop 5 weeks of PTO in the bank... Up front no less.

rockymtnchief
That's Awesome.

Before I started working here they were allowed to buy and sell vacation time. That would have been amazing!

Also, if you're with the company 20 years, they'll pay you up to 500 hours of accrued sick leave at retirement. And if you use 0 hours through the year they pay you 3 days pay as a bonus.

We can sell vacation time also. I usually use that money to help pay for Christmas.:D

WilliamTheIrish
Yes we can.

Same here. Although they have now discontinued the practice.

Slainte
10-13-2011, 06:35 AM
There's not set rule but our "guideline" is to use 6 or less sick days per year.

We accrue sick leave at a rate of eight hours a month, we seems fairly high to me. I have taken one full day any since I started working for my present employer (Aug 2010) and have 88 hrs accrued. Generally speaking, if I don't feel well I just call my boss and stay home. We rarely ever go on-the-books with sick time. I consider it sort of a compensatory time off for the extra hour or 2 I have to put in form time to time.

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Sick time isn't a real killer where I work(ed).

The true thieves had FMLA for any and all possibilities. Asthma flaring up? Intermittent FMLA day. Going to have elective surgery? FMLA gives them up to 12 weeks off and companies offer short term disability to cover the time off.

I hate FMLA. (Not for legit purposes, like child birth or dependent care).

DaKCMan AP
10-13-2011, 06:38 AM
We accrue sick leave at a rate of eight hours a month, we seems fairly high to me. I have taken one full day any since I started working for my present employer (Aug 2010) and have 88 hrs accrued. Generally speaking, if I don't feel well I just call my boss and stay home. We rarely ever go on-the-books with sick time. I consider it sort of a compensatory time off for the extra hour or 2 I have to put in form time to time.

That'd be nice. Legally we have to record all of our time since it's direct-bill and it's down to the tenth of an hour. We work an 80 hour flex, which works out well, but any excess hours don't roll-over past that 2-week pay period.

Munson
10-13-2011, 06:47 AM
I've only used missed 2 work days in the last 10 years due to being sick. Being in management, we're highly discouraged from using any sick days. Usually they just count it as one of our 5 paid days off per year.

Huffman83
10-13-2011, 06:48 AM
An average of 14.5 days/year? Holy crap that's a lot!

I found that out when I had my employee evaluation and read that "In the joint communications center, Mr Huffman has only a total of 4 days to where he has called in sick. The department average is 14.5, so we feel that Mr Huffman is doing well in this aspect."

And while we did have a few people out for a few weeks due to an emergency surgery it was largely due to certain people calling in every other Saturday or Sunday.

Because of the people who call in sick on a regular basis, you have other people that call in sick because they're tired of working all the time, and so the initial person who called in sick, works OT and then calls in sick because they work a lot of OT. It's a stupid cycle.

But I will say this, I make approx $5,000 more a year because of OT.

Inspector
10-13-2011, 06:54 AM
Missed about a week to get my tonsils out when I was in kindergarten. After that, perfect attendance all the way through school and am now working on my 4th decade with a company that has never had to provide me with a sick day. And if they did, I'd be paid.

I don't get sick much. And if I feel like I need to stay at home, I just work from home that day.

tooge
10-13-2011, 06:54 AM
I've been at my office for 14years. I've never taken a sick day.

NewChief
10-13-2011, 06:59 AM
Before children, I called in sick maybe 1-2 days a year. Now that I have kids... way, way more.

suds79
10-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Real sick days? Wow. Hmm. Hard to say. Not a like.

But yes I've taken a fair amount of sick days. ;)

KCUnited
10-13-2011, 07:05 AM
I used to never get sick, until they lumped our sick days with vacation into PTO. Now everyone who is sick shows up for work because they don't want to burn a vacation day and the sickness runs through the entire office 2 to 3 times a Winter.

durtyrute
10-13-2011, 07:07 AM
A hell of a lot more now that I have a wife and kids.

suds79
10-13-2011, 07:08 AM
I used to never get sick, until they lumped our sick days with vacation into PTO. Now everyone who is sick shows up for work because they don't want to burn a vacation day and the sickness runs through the entire office 2 to 3 times a Winter.

My last job was like that. It's a catch 22.

You either have that where people are not taking sick days to when they should. Or you have what my current job is now where sick & vaca are split out. Now you have people calling in sick when they're not because they don't want to use vaca... Well that and because they've banked up a lot of sick time. Might as well us it.

rageeumr
10-13-2011, 07:08 AM
I don't know if I ever had a true sick day before I had kids. I called in with the whiskey flu a few times, but I don't know if I had any true sick days. Now I have 1-2 per year and I miss another 2-3 days when my kids are booted out of daycare and I have to stay home with them.

Sofa King
10-13-2011, 07:15 AM
I was looking through my time sheet records while completing a health assessment for work to see how many sick days I've used in the past year.

I've used none. In fact, since I started full time in May 2007 I've used a total of 35.5 sick hours, less 4.5 days. 22.5 of those hours were in 2009 when I got H1N1.

Other people I work with use well over 2 weeks of sick time each year, either for themselves or if their kid(s) are sick. There's not set rule but our "guideline" is to use 6 or less sick days per year. It's kind of bullshit how some use way more and others use way less.

For those of you who aren't self-employed or retired, how many sick days do you use per year?

This is fucking weird. My Coworker and I just got done talking about this very subject. Soon as he leaves, i open CP and bam, this is the top thread.

Alton deFlat
10-13-2011, 07:20 AM
I haven't used a sick day for myself in years. I do use an occasional hour or three for wife's doctors appts. I figured it up a few weeks ago. With accumulated sick and vacation time, I could be away from work for 69 weeks, and not miss a paycheck.

seclark
10-13-2011, 07:22 AM
we get 8 hrs sick per month and it accumulates up to 130 days(when ltd would kick in). at the end of each year, the company will buy back anything over the 130 days at 25%.
i've been here for 30 years, so i have quite a bit accumulated. i'm not allowed to use sick leave for anyone but myself. i'll use it for dr, dentist, and eye appointments. this year, i've used 9 days, but have had 2 surgeries.

the bastards still call me at home constantly, though. we work through it.
sec

RubberSponge
10-13-2011, 07:29 AM

I can't even remember the last time I called in sick.

Al Bundy
10-13-2011, 07:33 AM
I miss on average 1-2 days a year, mostly because when I get sick it has to completely knock me off my feet for me to call in and then it is usually 2 days.

King_Chief_Fan
10-13-2011, 07:35 AM
I missed one day in 22 years

Mike in SW-MO
10-13-2011, 07:48 AM
In the last 10 years I have missed precisely 2 days of work. 1 bout of flu when I took a flu shot ( never again) and 1 kidney stone( hopefully never again).

I miss about 1 day a year when one of my kids get sick. Not quite as healthy as me but not bad.

DaKCMan AP
10-13-2011, 07:52 AM
This is fucking weird. My Coworker and I just got done talking about this very subject. Soon as he leaves, i open CP and bam, this is the top thread.

You're welcome. ;)

NewChief
10-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Not only can every planeteer run a sub-5 40 yard dash, throw a football 65 yards, and draw up a better plan to take over a foreign country than our generals... we also never get sick.

God I love this place.

seclark
10-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Not only can every planeteer run a sub-5 40 yard dash, throw a football 65 yards, and draw up a better plan to take over a foreign country than our generals... we also never get sick.

God I love this place.

don't forget the grade-a bitches we bag.
sec

DaKCMan AP
10-13-2011, 07:58 AM

God I love this place.

don't forget the grade-a bitches we bag.
sec

With our 10' dongs.

luv
10-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Whenever I used to work in production, I used to always reserve a few days of my vacation time to use for sick days. They were not PTO and counted against you when you missed. Whenever I did that, I had perfect attendance for about five years straight.

Now, I'm salaried. I have vacation time. I don't necessarily have "sick days" anymore. If I'm sick, I don't come to work. I've missed three days of work this year from being sick. Typically, I only average 1-2. For the purposes of this poll, I selected 2-3.

Iowanian
10-13-2011, 08:16 AM
In my first job out of college, in my yearly reviews the only reprimand was for coming to work sick.

It was legitimate, I came to work with fever and barfing a few days, but I was the only one who could do what I did, and we had contract deadlines, so I thought I was taking one for the team. I locked myself in the office and tried to stay away from people, but I understand why they said what they said....exposing other people to sickness. After that, in my next job it pissed me off when someone came to work sick because I didn't want it.

If I call in sick, which isn't often.....I'm effing sick......or a couple of times my kids have been.

Predarat
10-13-2011, 08:21 AM
We get 10 sick days a year, and you can save them up. I usually end up using about half of them, saving the rest, (most when my son is sick, a few for me). One thing to be aware of, if another company takes over the company you currently work for, they can and will wipe out saved up sick time. That is actually legal, I got burned by that once, and they do not have to give any warning, one day its all gone but the current year.

DJ's left nut
10-13-2011, 08:23 AM
4 years in and I haven't used a sick day yet, at least not for illness.

I've used an hour here and there for doctors appointments to have my neck looked at and such, but I've never missed a day sick.

So I'll probably get the bubonic plague tomorrow. Thanks, assholes.

Omaha
10-13-2011, 08:48 AM
I just looked it up. I haven't used one in over 2 years. More evidence of my awesomeness....

Bearcat
10-13-2011, 08:48 AM
We don't get sick days... if you're sick, stay home (and most people can work from home).

At my last job, everyone started with 18 days of PTO... I never used any for sick days, so I loved all the vacation time.

loochy
10-13-2011, 08:51 AM
We get 40 hours of incedental absence time per year in addition to our vacation time accrual. I make damn sure all 40 of those hours get used up because they don't carry over year to year like my vacation hours do.

Saulbadguy
10-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Back when I worked at a job I hated, I would use a couple weeks a year.

RippedmyFlesh
10-13-2011, 09:30 AM
0 this past year.
We have pto instead of separate sick and vacation days which is the way to go.
I always go in then figure I can leave if I have to.
My employer's policy makes you want to at least try to make it in if possible.
I've only left early once but felt like at least I gave it my best shot.
Gives you incentive to not call in I believe and I never have to fake being sick. We
can not carry them over but our year runs from July to June so when the year ends I get a few extra days off in the summer.
We get 8 hours for each month worked after 6 months on the job. You also get extra days for each year so when I get to my 3 year anniversary I will get almost a month off which I think is pretty dam generous.

Bump
10-13-2011, 09:38 AM
with my job, if you have to call in sick 3 times in any given year, it doesn't matter what it is, you get fired, plain and simple. That's the corporate policy.

lcarus
10-13-2011, 09:41 AM
I can't really take a full day off. Maybe every once in a blue moon, but I am solely responsible for doing a particular job at my shop, so I gotta be here. We have some scrubs that work here that are the "22 year old/still go out and get drunk on weeknights/come in late hungover/call in sick one day a week/still trying to sell themselves as men whenever possible" guys. Some people just don't ever graduate from high school mentally. We had one girl working here have her parents call in sick for her........she was like 26.....

RippedmyFlesh
10-13-2011, 09:42 AM
with my job, if you have to call in sick 3 times in any given year, it doesn't matter what it is, you get fired, plain and simple. That's the corporate policy.

That's harsh.Hope they take good care of you in other aspects.

Saulbadguy
10-13-2011, 09:44 AM

They don't put up with bullshit at Wendy's.

Brock
10-13-2011, 09:45 AM
All of them.

Pestilence
10-13-2011, 09:45 AM
A shit ton....but they lump family sick leave in with sick leave. So in all honesty....my kids have made me miss more work than I actually have myself.

Pants
10-13-2011, 09:46 AM
We don't have sick days. We only have PTO here.

Gonzo
10-13-2011, 09:47 AM
I use about 2-3 per year. This year has been worse than most, though. I've used a sick day at least once a month since March for assorted illnesses.
My old job actually sent you home if you even got a hint of a fever, a lot of people took advantage of that.
Posted via Mobile Device

RippedmyFlesh
10-13-2011, 09:49 AM
They don't put up with bullshit at Wendy's.

When i was a jr in high school I called in while working at Mcdonalds to go to a graduation party and some girls I was with were laughing in the background.I kept cupping the phone and telling them to be quiet.
My manager said "Sounds like you got it bad john hope you're feeling better soon."

kcpasco
10-13-2011, 10:05 AM
In my company we gain 4.5 hours of ptb a week. It's used for everything though, sick days, holidays and vacation.

It's crazy because I work with a few guys that never take time off and have around 3000 hours banked.

Pants
10-13-2011, 10:09 AM
In my company we gain 4.5 hours of ptb a week. It's used for everything though, sick days, holidays and vacation.

It's crazy because I work with a few guys that never take time off and have around 3000 hours banked.

Same here, but you can only roll over 40 hours any given year.

kcpasco
10-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Same here, but you can only roll over 40 hours any given year.

Ya its been in negotiations to put a limit on how much you can accrue because during layoffs and retirements the company has to cash that out.

Bump
10-13-2011, 10:19 AM

just the money, no benefits, no nothing. It's $25 per hour, so I put up with bullshit corporate policies, but every tiny little policy is enforced and nobody has any job security. One mistake and you are out the door, 1 minute late for the 2nd time ever? gone, you accidentally brought your cell phone in, fired. Sick 3 times, fired. You forgot to wear a belt? fired. Lol, it's ridiculous but the money isn't bad. But I've been there over a year and I've never had a problem, I've just seen so many good people go over some bullshit.

Demonpenz
10-13-2011, 10:25 AM
just the money, no benefits, no nothing. It's $25 per hour, so I put up with bullshit corporate policies, but every tiny little policy is enforced and nobody has any job security. One mistake and you are out the door, 1 minute late for the 2nd time ever? gone, you accidentally brought your cell phone in, fired. Sick 3 times, fired. You forgot to wear a belt? fired. Lol, it's ridiculous but the money isn't bad. But I've been there over a year and I've never had a problem, I've just seen so many good people go over some bullshit.

Uranus Takes A Pounding More Frequently Than Thought

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 10:53 AM
2 days in a little over 15 years. Those were the Thursday and Friday after getting heart stints on Wednesday evening. Back to work Monday!

Dayze
10-13-2011, 11:01 AM

that sounds like an awful place to work, regardless of pay.
you have way more fortitude that I do.

Bugeater
10-13-2011, 11:08 AM

That's just stupid, why not take the time off?

kcpasco
10-13-2011, 11:24 AM

I dunno, I guess some people don't have lives outside of work.
It's kinda really pathetic and sad.

Bugeater
10-13-2011, 11:33 AM
I dunno, I guess some people don't have lives outside of work.
It's kinda really pathetic and sad.
Yeah it is. I could think of about eleventy billion other things to do besides work.

NewChief
10-13-2011, 12:33 PM

What type of work? That sounds nuts.

rico
10-13-2011, 12:53 PM
I have used 1 sick day since 2007. I have 2-300 hours worth of PTO racked up because I never use it.... and when I do, I spend all day wondering how things are going in the office and worrying about things falling apart.

whoman69
10-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Don't have benefits right now because I just got full time status. The last place I worked I think is showing the way of the future for corporations. They used to give five sick days which did not count against attendence bonus if used. Then they took it down to two days saying we would have more opportunity to use our regular leave on a short term basis, which turned out to be a lie. They didn't allow the regular leave to be used unless it was requested two weeks in advance. After that they changed the rules for the attendence bonus where if sick time was used you had to make up the time in that same week or forfeit the bonus. The time you made up had to be scheduled as the sick time was still counted against you. Essentially you could only be sick half a day. Needless to say we had a ton of people coming in sick because they couldn't afford to lose their bonus. Predictably they lost more time with the sick people making others sick.

Rain Man
10-13-2011, 01:38 PM
2 days in a little over 15 years. Those were the Thursday and Friday after getting heart stints on Wednesday evening. Back to work Monday!

Slacking and taking the long weekend, eh?

Predarat
10-13-2011, 01:43 PM
The best way to use sick time is to combine a few hours before and/or after lunch and use it for an extra long nooner. Thats what I call takin' care of your health! As long as shes clean.

gblowfish
10-13-2011, 01:45 PM
I might use one tomorrow. I think I have a sinus infection again.

Spott
10-13-2011, 02:38 PM
I don't use any because the large corporation I work for does not allow for sick days. If I'm sick, I just go to work.

Bugeater
10-13-2011, 04:46 PM
I have used 1 sick day since 2007. I have 2-300 hours worth of PTO racked up because I never use it.... and when I do, I spend all day wondering how things are going in the office and worrying about things falling apart.
When you're on your deathbed, do you think you're going to be lying there wishing you spent more time at the office?

2bikemike
10-13-2011, 05:13 PM
I have been extremely fortunate, I hardly ever get sick. I have only called in Sick twice in over 20 years.

Rain Man
10-13-2011, 05:34 PM
When you're on your deathbed, do you think you're going to be lying there wishing you spent more time at the office?

Maybe he works on Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition photo shoots.

kysirsoze
10-13-2011, 05:45 PM
My union rules allow for two free days per 50 day period, unpayed, and sick leave I rack up based on hours. I use all I can. Usually for auditions but somtimes just cause. Working as a union employee sucks in enough ways that I am going to take advatage of the few perks it offers.

I should note this is a day job that is just to pay the bills. I would likely handle a career situation differently.

Short Leash Hootie
10-13-2011, 05:55 PM
One of my friends dad retired and got paid like 2 years worth of unused sick days and vacation...

Short Leash Hootie
10-13-2011, 05:56 PM
As in...full 2 years pay for never using any vacation or sick days in like 40+ years

mlyonsd
10-13-2011, 06:00 PM
1 sick day the last two years.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-13-2011, 06:00 PM
I've canceled class five times ever.

Once to move
Once when my daughters had to be transfered to St. Louis
Once when my grandmother died
Once to go to game 6 of the 2005 NLCS *tear*
Once because of a terrible allergic reaction.

kysirsoze
10-13-2011, 06:01 PM
One of my friends dad retired and got paid like 2 years worth of unused sick days and vacation...

As in...full 2 years pay for never using any vacation or sick days in like 40+ years

That's cool, but I don't think I'd bank on that.

RedNeckRaider
10-13-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't know about the awesome part but I rarely miss work. Counting 3 days vacation I took and the plant was shut down due to no electricity that weekend due to the hurricane Irene I have had 6 days off since July. I got back from the mountains Thursday night and called my boss to see if he needed me that Friday because it was pretty clear we were going to get hit, he told me to relax and take it off.

I worked 75 hours this week as our time ends on Thursday. I have worked over 30 days in a row and am just too lazy to count the actual number of days in a row. Looking at our work load I will not take another day off until Thanksgiving and it might be the Christmas holiday. I have told my boss I will be flying back home over Christmas break as I have not been back since a year ago last August when I took this job~

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Slacking and taking the long weekend, eh?

Yeah, I even left a little early on Wednesday! :D

Saulbadguy
10-13-2011, 06:31 PM

I can cash out sick/vacation hours when I retire. (30 some years from now)

Bwana
10-13-2011, 06:43 PM
I think the last sick day I took, was over 20 years ago.

crossbow
10-13-2011, 06:55 PM
I usually don't get sick enough to stay home but when I do get sick I crash hard. I sleep for two straight days and wake up disoriented (well more so then I normally am).

RJ
10-13-2011, 07:42 PM
I get sick on occasion but not enough to miss work. I proabably average one sick day every two years or so. I'll stay home if I think it's something contagious but it doesn't happen often. I've noticed that the younger people I work with call in sick considerably more often than the older ones. Not sure why that is but I have a few ideas.

ChiefsNow
10-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Well if they offer them and you don't use them, that's your own fault. If that's how my company worked I'd be using them up if I was sick or not.

Hell yes, I use sick days like vacation days.

Bugeater
10-13-2011, 09:09 PM
I can cash out sick/vacation hours when I retire. (30 some years from now)
Yeah...if they're still there.

And if you're still alive. :)

digger
10-14-2011, 07:38 AM

Ours are just part of our PTO, until we go 3 days in a row, then we get ESL (Extended Sick Leave). So unless you have something really bad never going to touch the ESL bucket.

Chiefaholic
10-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Called in sick twice since my hire date in August of 1992

KurtCobain
10-14-2011, 08:12 AM
I get 4.5 hours every month, never used a full sick day in the year plus I've been working here, but just last week I used over half my hours out with a bum eye.

Brock
10-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Called in sick twice since my hire date in August of 1992

Does that mean you haven't been sick, or does that mean you are "that guy" who comes to work and gets everybody else sick?

Old Dog
10-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Sick leave rolls over to an unlimited amount, vacation caps at 240 hours. I haven't had a true sick day since I started the cirrent gig four years ago. I have came in more than once when I should have stayed home, but with some of the stuff we do, that's just the way it goes. Unless I'm going to be out for more than a couple of days, I see no reason to use vacation days unless I'm capped.

I have called in a handfull of times though when we weren't going to have a whole hell of a lot going on though. I've already told folks here that I am certain I'm going to be under the weather on the 31st and the 1st. The boss said, "I'll be damned, if memory serves, that happened last year when the Chiefs played on Monday night didn't it?"

Earthling
10-14-2011, 01:05 PM
I own my own company and almost had to lay myself off for missing too many days last year. I promised myself I would do better so for now I'm taking a wait and see approach...

HemiEd
10-14-2011, 02:53 PM
I get sick on occasion but not enough to miss work. I proabably average one sick day every two years or so. I'll stay home if I think it's something contagious but it doesn't happen often. I've noticed that the younger people I work with call in sick considerably more often than the older ones. Not sure why that is but I have a few ideas.

ROFL, let me help you narrow it down. They just don't give a fuck, and have plenty of time to find something they give a fuck about. Does that about sum it up?:D

stevieray
10-14-2011, 03:08 PM
I rarely get sick, maybe off my feet twice in the last twenty years.

working with lower back pain...?

....now that's a different story.

Valiant
10-14-2011, 03:30 PM
If you cannot cash the hours in, you use them, even if you are not sick..

DomerNKC
10-14-2011, 05:20 PM
i have never called in sick. Over 25 years of Adult work.

hometeam
10-14-2011, 06:02 PM
does it count if i use sick days but im not really sick?

Psyko Tek
10-14-2011, 06:16 PM
all of them but never when i am sick

WhiteWhale
10-14-2011, 06:45 PM
I use sick days when I'm sick. Sometimes none, sometimes a few.

What I HATE are sick people who go to work and then infect everyone else... totally fucking up productivity. It doesn't make you tough, it does make you an asshole though. Keep your germs at home.

Spott
10-14-2011, 07:11 PM
I use sick days when I'm sick. Sometimes none, sometimes a few.

What I HATE are sick people who go to work and then infect everyone else... totally fucking up productivity. It doesn't make you tough, it does make you an asshole though. Keep your germs at home.

Companies like the one I work for will write you up for calling in sick, so it's not always the employee's fault for going to work sick.

Hoover
10-14-2011, 07:21 PM
I own my own business so no workie no money.

burt
10-14-2011, 07:57 PM

God I love this place.

can't run for over 30 yards, can't throw a baseball or football worth a shit. I wnet to the Dr.s office on my day off to have my blood pressure checked, they sent me to the ER. They wanted to call an ambulance!

Next step is to get colestrol back in check, followed by getting a surgery to repair an acid reflux caused injury. THEN we may just do something about my sleep apnia. But I don't miss work. I schedule Dr. visits and "procedures".

I won't miss work. It is too important. It provides for my family.

Chiefaholic
10-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Does that mean you haven't been sick, or does that mean you are "that guy" who comes to work and gets everybody else sick?

I don't get sick very often. I guess I've been pretty fortunate in life to stay healthy and only got a serious flu bug once so far.

So I assume from your response that you must be "that guy" who calls into work because you just don't feel good. Thus putting a harder load on those around you that have the drive to work hard and show up every day possible. :D

KS Smitty
10-14-2011, 08:23 PM
I don't get sick days so I never use any.

Marcellus
10-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Worked at the same place 11 years and think I have missed 7 days or so.

Brock
10-14-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't get sick very often. I guess I've been pretty fortunate in life to stay healthy and only got a serious flu bug once so far.

So I assume from your response that you must be "that guy" who calls into work because you just don't feel good. Thus putting a harder load on those around you that have the drive to work hard and show up every day possible. :D

Well, I'll take the harder load because a guy is absent over the drizzling shits because he didn't have sense enough to stay home when he was sick.

Guru
10-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Generally one sick day for me and one sick day for when my one of my kids need me.

My graveyard shift work makes it a pain in the ass to call in sick so it is generally easier to just come to work and suffer through it. I hate having to do it that way but it is what it is.

Just like tonight, I was getting ready to head out the door and my wife started getting the stomach flu. Asked me to stay home but I couldn't. Sucks. Which means tomorrow is going to be a real pain the ass for me.

HoneyBadger
10-14-2011, 10:18 PM
I get 4.5 hours every month, never used a full sick day in the year plus I've been working here, but just last week I used over half my hours out with a bum eye.

You gotta keep your eye out of other dude's asses.

HoneyBadger
10-14-2011, 10:18 PM
One day in the last 3 years. And I wasn't really sick, I just felt like being lazy.

BryanBusby
10-14-2011, 11:03 PM
If you cannot cash the hours in, you use them, even if you are not sick..

That's how I go about it. They're just going to keep them if I quit or get fired, so no reason to just leave them on the table.

listopencil
10-14-2011, 11:05 PM
On myself? Three times in fifteen years.

Fat Elvis
10-15-2011, 09:09 AM
I've used 60 hours so far this year. I have kids.