PDA

View Full Version : Pictures Phil Simms: Al Davis offered me Raider's head-coaching job

Okie_Apparition
10-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Now we know why he visited DT in the hospital

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 13, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT

As the NFL world remembers the late Raiders owner Al Davis, former Giants quarterback Phil Simms is offering up a particularly interesting memory.

Simms, who has never coached at any level, said on Inside the NFL that Davis once approached him about becoming the head coach of the Raiders.

“He did offer me to become a Raiders coach, and to be their head coach. I got interviewed over the phone for many, many hours,” Simms said.

Simms didn’t say when this conversation took place, and it sounds like he didn’t seriously consider accepting. He believes that if he had accepted the job it would have ended badly.

“Of course I turned it down,” Simms said. “I’m glad I did because how bitter would I be if I got hired and fired a few times?”

It’s strange to think about Phil Simms roaming the sideline in Oakland. And it’s another reminder that Al Davis did things very differently from the rest of the NFL.

Permalink 50 Comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
Email

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/13/phil-simms-al-davis-offered-me-raiders-head-coaching-job/

aturnis
10-13-2011, 11:58 AM
He offered it to me a few times too. Basically I turned it down b/c I don't like to be micro-managed.

Crush
10-13-2011, 12:07 PM
I think it would be easier to find someone who was NOT offered the Raiders job.

Phobia
10-13-2011, 12:10 PM
I got a call every time the job opened. But he wouldn't allow me to coach from Bermuda so we could never reach a deal.

Rausch
10-13-2011, 12:11 PM
I think he's be a good scout...

loochy
10-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I think he's be a good scout...

Nut?

Dragonocho
10-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Is saying you were offered the Raiders job by Al Davis becoming the "I Am Spartacus" moment of the day for former players/coaches?

DMAC
10-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Al should have hired the first non-English speaking coach before he died.

Rausch
10-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Nut?

The fucking d is one damned key over from the s.

B@ast@rd...:cuss:

Nightfyre
10-14-2011, 12:34 AM
I wish he would have hired Phil Simms. Imagine the level of mediocrity the Raiders would be at.