PDA

View Full Version : Life Are you a Landowner?


Deberg_1990
10-13-2011, 11:59 AM
If you are, I guarantee you dont own as much land as this guy. 2.2 million acres.

If you own any land, how much do you own?







http://www.landreport.com/americas-100-largest-landowners/




John Malone, the 70-year-old chairman of Liberty Media, is famously reticent when it comes to discussing his business life. There is, however, one subject that makes the Denver businessman open up: his personal land holdings.

Recently, he’s had a lot more to talk about. In 2011, Malone became the largest private landowner in the U.S., wresting the top spot on The Land Report 100 from his friend and longtime business partner, Ted Turner. His decades-long rise to the top dates back to the 1990s, when Malone began acquiring land in Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming. His land grab kicked into overdrive in the summer of 2010 when he purchased New Mexico’s historic 290,100-acre Bell Ranch. In early 2011, he snapped up an additional 1 million acres of timberland in Maine and New Hampshire to become America’s leading land baron. Malone says his lust for land harkens back to his Irish genes: “A certain land hunger comes from being denied property ownership for so many generations.”

Why buy now? Malone says he was enticed by two trends: a drop in land prices and a decrease in the cost of borrowing. And though he says he operates his landholdings to break even, he also recognizes that real estate “is a pretty decent hedge on the devaluation of currency.”

Malone is an ardent conservationist, an ethic he shares with Turner. While the duo’s ends are the same, their means differ somewhat. “I tend to be more willing to admit that human beings aren’t going away,” Malone says. His 2011 Maine and New Hampshire purchase, which was brokered by LandVest’s Timberland Division, saw him acquire robust sustainable forestry operations from private equity firm GMO Renewable Resources. He intends to keep them in place. He applies this philosophy to his western properties, such as the Bell, where he raises cattle and horses. Ultimately, he plans to put all of his land in perpetual conservation easements.

So how does Malone’s good friend feel about being knocked off the top spot on The Land Report 100? CNN’s founder couldn’t be happier. “I consider John a good friend and have great respect for him,” Turner says.

Malone notes that it was Turner who “first gave me this land-buying disease” on a helicopter ride the two shared on a Turner ranch. Malone is not done yet either. He says he is looking at a large parcel in the Northeast and Canada that would “double us in the forestry side.” He’s adding cropland so that “we can go a little more vertical in cattle and produce more of our own feed and control costs better,” he says.

But in the end, there’s more involved than economics and conservation. “There’s the emotional and intellectual aspect of walking the land and getting that sense of awe,” says Malone. “I own it, sort of, for my lifetime.” — Monte

Rausch
10-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Don't know who he is but I can't imagine anything will feel better than than buying more property...

Rain Man
10-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Man, I'll bet he spends all of his free time mowing. No, thanks.

L.A. Chieffan
10-13-2011, 12:05 PM
i pay property tax, does that count?

Mr_Tomahawk
10-13-2011, 12:05 PM
I'd rather be land-rich than cash-poor...

kccrow
10-13-2011, 12:09 PM
I don't think anyone that can invest that kind of money in land has a problem with outsourcing the mowing. :D

2.2 million acres? If the average rate of acquisition is $1,500 per acre... wuh.... 3.3 billion dollars.

suds79
10-13-2011, 12:10 PM
I own a whopping .13 acres. Suck on that Malone. :p

My wife and I are house shopping and I used to (maybe still do a little) think it would be cool to live out on an acreage. But then when I factored in the time to drive out in BFE, be close to a store or down-town or have neighbors for my little girl to play with, it started to lose some its luster.

Just give me enough land for me to do some fun landscaping (I'm into water gardening) on and I'm good.

Cheater5
10-13-2011, 12:23 PM
21 acres in wild, wonderful Round O, South Carolina...about 40 minutes outside Charleston.

Rain Man
10-13-2011, 12:37 PM
I don't think anyone that can invest that kind of money in land has a problem with outsourcing the mowing. :D

2.2 million acres? If the average rate of acquisition is $1,500 per acre... wuh.... 3.3 billion dollars.


If he's smart with his money he'd buy a bigger mower instead of hiring it out.


So 2.2 million acres = 3,437.5 square miles

Based on the U.S. Bureau of the Census, the land area of the two smallest U.S. states are:

The state of Rhode Island = 1,045 square miles
The state of Delaware = 1,954 square miles

So this dude privately owns more land than Rhode Island and Delaware combined, and he's gaining on Connecticut in a one on one, which has 4,845 square miles of land area.

Buehler445
10-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Holy Crap. That is a bunch.

I own the lot my house is on and 25% share of 160 acres. I'm buying the other 75%.

seclark
10-13-2011, 12:48 PM
i own a 30 acre patch of timber that's pretty much surrounded by corn and bean fields. i love hunting.

house is up next to the road w/11 acres of yard. i hate mowing.
sec

Sofa King
10-13-2011, 01:03 PM
I'd rather be land-rich than cash-poor...

Well no shit. LMAO


I'd rather have sex with 3 hot blondes than get my nuts smashed with a hammer.

gblowfish
10-13-2011, 01:03 PM
I have a front and back yard and a Craftsman mower. Does that count?

Deberg_1990
10-13-2011, 01:09 PM
So this dude privately owns more land than Rhode Island and Delaware combined, and he's gaining on Connecticut in a one on one, which has 4,845 square miles of land area.

Wow, thats incredible.

MOhillbilly
10-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Yes.

NewChief
10-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Wonder what the freaking property tax is on that?

WilliamTheIrish
10-13-2011, 03:49 PM
I own 10 acres with two ponds.

The Okies are still a threat to stake a claim. Can't keep that bunch out.

HemiEd
10-13-2011, 04:04 PM
I own some land in Missouri, but I prefer College BB to College FB. :D

tooge
10-13-2011, 04:38 PM
I live on 23 and own another 25 hunting spot.

Stewie
10-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Don't look up how much government money he gets (and Ted Turner) under the farm bill. It will piss you off.

Bowser
10-13-2011, 05:38 PM
I own some land in Missouri, but I prefer College BB to College FB. :D

:clap: [/Wickedson]

Pioli Zombie
10-13-2011, 07:26 PM
No, but I own three slaves. Does that count?

Bwana
10-13-2011, 07:49 PM
I met the guy two years ago. He has some land up here in Montana, decent dude. Ted Turner on the other hand, is a douche bag.

Hog Farmer
10-13-2011, 07:57 PM
I doubt he has to mow much. I would imagine Cattle do that for him. But I'm not impressed because I'd be willing to bet I have more semen than he does.

whoman69
10-13-2011, 08:08 PM
I own 70%, the bank holds the other 30% but act like its 100% theirs.

crispystl420
10-13-2011, 08:18 PM
I met the guy two years ago. He has some land up here in Montana, decent dude. Ted Turner on the other hand, is a douche bag.

What does land go for up in Montana? Is it readily available?

Bwana
10-13-2011, 08:22 PM
What does land go for up in Montana? Is it readily available?

As far as price, mountain areas and lake front bring some very good money, although, it's off right now and there are some decent deals. If you go to the far eastern half of the state, you can get it very reasonable, but that land looks like North ****ing Dakata. (No thanks)

With that being said, land is readily available.

Malones land, looks a lot like this..... (Nye, Montana)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/loa.images/inv/502427/502427-090717203806801-p.jpg

LOCOChief
10-13-2011, 08:24 PM
2,200,001 acres, but who's countin?

Saul Good
10-13-2011, 08:38 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t8mDsTK26CU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hometeam
10-13-2011, 08:42 PM
does the .75 acre plot my house sits on count ? :P

LiveSteam
10-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Wheeeeeeeew! I thought they were going to say China or something.