PDA

View Full Version : Football Speculation surfaces that Colts could move Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis

malachi47000
10-14-2011, 07:14 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/14/speculation-surfaces-that-colts-could-move-reggie-wayne-robert-mathis/

With the trade deadline only four days away, and with an eleventh-hour deal or two typically being made, speculation has arisen that the Colts could send elsewhere one or two of their disgruntled free-agents-to-be: receiver Reggie Wayne (pictured) and defensive end Robert Mathis.

Phillip Wilson of the Indianapolis Star traces the spitballing to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, who apparently said that the Colts should trade Wayne to the Bills and Mathis to the Jets. That idea has quickly become rumor, even though at this point there’s no reason to believe either deal could happen.

Wilson thinks that the Colts should keep both players. But if the Colts already have decided neither to use the franchise tag nor to give new contracts to one or both players, why not dump them now in exchange for future picks?

The hidden benefit, of course, is that it would be a legitimate way to weaken the team as part of a not-so-subtle effort to “Suck for Luck.”

_________________________________________________________________________________

1. Anyway the Chiefs can get Mathis?? Would love to have that fire on our line!
2. Why is it that if we don't get Luck, I want pretty much any team to get him instead of Indy..Clearly this is a move to tank the season.

jd1020
10-14-2011, 07:34 AM
They are really trying to get rid of Manning's sex partner?

royr17
10-14-2011, 07:37 AM
Mathis wouldnt be a defensive end in our scheme, he would be a OLB just like Tamba

Deberg_1990
10-14-2011, 07:42 AM
This "S4L" thing is going to get very interesting the last month of the season. I predict there will be whispers of teams throwing games intentionally.

jd1020
10-14-2011, 07:55 AM
This "S4L" thing is going to get very interesting the last month of the season. I predict there will be whispers of teams throwing games intentionally.

I don't think you'll ever get a team to intentionally throw a game. You might see coaches making decisions that make you scratch your head but that's as close as you'll get.

notorious
10-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Brilliant.

Trade players that can help you win games now so that you can land Luck and have extra picks for the future.

Pioli Zombie
10-14-2011, 09:54 AM
The Colts don't need Luck. They've got Curtis Painter. He's a france sized qb.

Priest31kc
10-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Donkeys & Colts going full throttle for Luck it seems. Bastards.

mcaj22
10-14-2011, 10:03 AM
if they start unloading good veterans like this for peanuts I'd actually be bummed out for football, because you know for sure they are going in all on a shit season. (not that most dont see that already) but holy hell.

TEX
10-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Donkeys & Colts going full throttle for Luck it seems. Bastards.

Yep. The more things change, the more they stay the same...Maybe this time Denver drafts him and he refuses to play for them, choosing instead to play baseball for the Angles, and ends up with the Colts...:rolleyes:

TEX
10-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Brilliant.

Trade players that can help you win games now so that you can land Luck and have extra picks for the future.

Yep. Helps expedite the rebuild.

Cave Johnson
10-14-2011, 10:17 AM
As a Reggie Wayne owner, I'd love a change of scenery. Instant value resurrection.

talastan
10-14-2011, 10:26 AM
I'd prefer to see Luck go to the Colts rather than the Donks. It would also be fun to see the Colts payback Elway for what he pulled on them in 1983!

Amnorix
10-14-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't think you'll ever get a team to intentionally throw a game. You might see coaches making decisions that make you scratch your head but that's as close as you'll get.

Cassel throwing a ball into the 12th row back in 2006 or whatever is on the last play of the game from the 5 yard line is as close as you'll ever see. Pats clearly wanted to draw teh Jags not the Steelers in the first round of the playoffs (go figure).

Pestilence
10-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Ehhh....Wayne and Mathis are old. I can see why they would want to trade them.

SNR
10-14-2011, 10:39 AM
If Luck goes to the Donks or Colts, I will hope to God that he has a career-ending injury in his rookie year.

Franchises like that don't deserve real power.

Oh, wait, though. They'll just draft another QB in the first round until they get it right. The way things should be done :banghead:

Pestilence
10-14-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm still not 100% sure that the Colts would take Luck. Manning will be able to throw his weight around.

The front runners to me are the Dolphins.

Cave Johnson
10-14-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm still not 100% sure that the Colts would take Luck. Manning will be able to throw his neck out.

FYP.

Jaric
10-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Both Wayne and Mathis are coming into the last years of their deals, and there is some speculation we won't be able to re-sign them. If that is the case, trading them makes sense so you get some compensation (assuming it's higher than you'd recieve with the compensetory picks)

aturnis
10-14-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm still not 100% sure that the Colts would take Luck. Manning will be able to throw his weight around.

How does your brain work? What would Peyton have to do with anything? You think Peyton doesn't like the idea of bringing in a guy to sit on the bench until he finishes his career only to keep his beloved franchise on top for years to come? He'd rather see them play as badly as they are without him now right?

Coogs
10-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Cleveland could still be a player in the Luck derby. If Atlanta continues to stumble along, Cleveland could have 2 relatively high draft picks to bargin with in a trade.

HemiEd
10-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Cassel throwing a ball into the 12th row back in 2006 or whatever is on the last play of the game from the 5 yard line is as close as you'll ever see. Pats clearly wanted to draw teh Jags not the Steelers in the first round of the playoffs (go figure).

He fooled you then, he was not throwing the ball in the 12th row intentionally. It was supposed to be a screen pass.

whoman69
10-14-2011, 02:52 PM

Manning signed a contract for which he is getting paid for this year even though he should be on IR. That's the limit of how nice the Colts should be expected to be. If they are in a position to get Luck, they will draft Luck.

If you want to say the Dolphins have a better chance to get Luck because of their play of the field, I'll go with that. I think the Colts have a much better chance to win with Painter than the Dolphins do with _______ .

Wayne has not been up to his standards this year. With him grumbling about the Colts front office moves, perhaps they should move him. They have plenty of depth at receiver. Mathis on the other hand is one of the main cogs for a defense that has played pretty well considering the amount of time they have been on the field. I would think they move him only if he is an FA next year that they would consider allowing him to move on. Age would have to be a factor there.