PDA

View Full Version : Video Games MW3 vs BF3

Hays
10-14-2011, 07:54 AM
a group of about 5 of us are trying to decide which one to get.
We like the Call of Duty series, but weren't big fans of MW2

BF3 looks good but ea servers being what they are we aren't sure if it will be that good.

Right now it is a toss up.
Does anyone have any big pros or cons for either?

I kind of like BF3 letting 24 people per map on it.

Sofa King
10-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Wii Sports

DMAC
10-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Rock Band

SuperChief
10-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Blast Corps

Pants
10-14-2011, 08:12 AM
What exactly are the EA servers like?

Mr. Plow
If you didn't like MW2, you probably won't like MW3.

loochy
a group of about 5 of us are trying to decide which one to get.
We like the Call of Duty series, but weren't big fans of MW2

BF3 looks good but ea servers being what they are we aren't sure if it will be that good.

Right now it is a toss up.
Does anyone have any big pros or cons for either?

I kind of like BF3 letting 24 people per map on it.

bf3 will have 64 per map...

Pants
bf3 will have 64 per map...

On PC.

Kyle DeLexus
Gears

loochy
What exactly are the EA servers like?

? like any other? you connect to it and play.

loochy
10-14-2011, 08:13 AM
On PC.

well yeah, thats where the real game is at

Pants
10-14-2011, 08:13 AM
? like any other? you connect to it and play.

I was asking the guy. He seems to have an opinion on them and I'd like him to expound on it.

Pants
10-14-2011, 08:15 AM
well yeah, thats where the real game is at

I'm behind a computer 8 hours a day, so yeah, I don't want the 'real' game. Besides, I would have no one to play with on PC. XBL > PC. :D

Hays
10-14-2011, 08:22 AM
ea servers are not as stable as others, have you tried playing madden online and get disconnected or can't log in because servers are full or down.

Pants
10-14-2011, 08:26 AM
ea servers are not as stable as others, have you tried playing madden online and get disconnected or can't log in because servers are full or down.

No. But I did play over 200 hours of Bad Company 2 and 99% of the time, the servers were completely fine. The only trouble I had connecting was towards the end of the game's life when they were taking servers down to use them for BF3 and TOR.

COD has no dedicated servers, that's why there are hosts and that's why the connections are so random and why the game gets hacked mercilessly all the time.

QuikSsurfer
10-14-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm behind a computer 8 hours a day, so yeah, I don't want the 'real' game.

This.
Gaming from a couch/comfy chair FTW

WhitiE
10-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Bf3 over mw3

Detoxing
10-14-2011, 09:33 AM
This needed to have been a poll.

Bambi
10-14-2011, 09:34 AM
I play both.

BF3 when I want big scale, "realistic", war feeling games.. which can last more than 45 minutes per round.

MW3 when I want quick "arcade" style battles.

I played MW and MW2 to death. Then BFBC2 came out and I started playing it because COD became way too repetitive...

I was excited for Black Ops but it I soon realized that it was one of the worst games ever produced.

I will probably buy MW3 and since its back to Infinity Ward it will be better than Black Ops. But it looks exactly the same as MW2 so I'm worried that the Battlefield franchise may have finally overtaken COD.

COD should have never made Black Ops. They might have very well killed the franchise.

Pants
10-14-2011, 09:39 AM
I play both.

BF3 when I want big scale, "realistic", war feeling games.. which can last more than 45 minutes per round.

MW3 when I want quick "arcade" style battles.

I played MW and MW2 to death. Then BFBC2 came out and I started playing it because COD became way too repetitive...

I was excited for Black Ops but it I soon realized that it was one of the worst games ever produced.

I will probably buy MW3 and since its back to Infinity Ward it will be better than Black Ops. But it looks exactly the same as MW2 so I'm worried that the Battlefield franchise may have finally overtaken COD.

COD should have never made Black Ops. They might have very well killed the franchise.

IW no longer exists, man. It's in name only. All the IW people left Activision for EA and created a new studio called Respawn Entertainment. The genius behind the Call Of Duty franchise is no longer making Call of Duty games (MW2 was their last one, and MW3 is clearly just a rehash, they don't have the talent to make a leap like they did from MW to MW2).

Nightfyre
10-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Infinity ward in name only = IWINO

awesome.

Mr. Plow
10-14-2011, 09:40 AM

Black Ops wasn't great, but if any game started the demise of the COD series, it was World at War & Treyarch.

Bambi
10-14-2011, 09:47 AM
IW no longer exists, man. It's in name only. All the IW people left Activision for EA and created a new studio called Respawn Entertainment. The genius behind the Call Of Duty franchise is no longer making Call of Duty games (MW2 was their last one, and MW3 is clearly just a rehash, they don't have the talent to make a leap like they did from MW to MW2).

ah good to know.

Pants
10-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Black Ops wasn't great, but if any game started the demise of the COD series, it was World at War & Treyarch.

Yeah, Activision wanted to capitalize on the fucking whale of a franchise that IW created and decided to have Treyarch work on COD games while IW was going through the natural development cycle. That way, Activision could milk the cash cow every year instead of every two years. They knew gamers would buy the fuck out of anything that had "Call Of Duty" stamped on it. I can only imagine how IW felt about having some random dudes work on their IP (which was owned by Activision as their publisher) and water the brand down.

Pants
10-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Having said all that, I liked the features Treyarch introduced in BLOPS so they're not all bad. :D

Mr. Plow
10-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Having said all that, I liked the features Treyarch introduced in BLOPS so they're not all bad. :D

No, they weren't. They've had some good ideas, but the games themselves were not good.

ChiefFripp
10-14-2011, 09:53 AM
I think the Battlefield games have always been superior on PC and they've only began to compete in the console market against COD with BF:BC2. From the looks of BF3 and what little I've seen of the new COD game, It looks like BF3 will reign over the PC and console.

Pants
No, they weren't. They've had some good ideas, but the games themselves were not good.

Agreed.

Von Dumbass
Yeah, Activision wanted to capitalize on the ****ing whale of a franchise that IW created and decided to have Treyarch work on COD games while IW was going through the natural development cycle. That way, Activision could milk the cash cow every year instead of every two years. They knew gamers would buy the **** out of anything that had "Call Of Duty" stamped on it. I can only imagine how IW felt about having some random dudes work on their IP (which was owned by Activision as their publisher) and water the brand down.

COD wasn't huge until COD 4 and Treyarch made COD 3.

The reason COD is so popular is because it is the smoothest feeling console shooter out there. W@W was and Black Ops had a smooth feel to it as well so I don't think the guys from IW leaving will be that big of a deal. Hopefully they can make a game that feels similar to COD over at EA.

Pants
10-14-2011, 09:59 AM

The reason COD is so popular is because it is the smoothest feeling console shooter out there. W@W was and Black Ops had a smooth feel to it as well so I don't think the guys from IW leaving will be that big of a deal. Hopefully they can make a game that feels similar to COD over at EA.

COD was huge on PC, are you kidding me? It revolutionized the FPS genre by having you ADS instead of just using the crosshairs. The old consoles couldn't handle COD1, so it only became huge in your world (read: console) once 360 and PS3 came out. It was a well-established franchise by then, though.

COD1 and COD2 were done by IW. When Activision saw how successful the game was on consoles, they tasked Treyarch to make the next one while IW started work on MW.

Von Dumbass
10-14-2011, 10:05 AM
COD was huge on PC, are you kidding me? It revolutionized the FPS genre by having you ADS instead of just using the crosshairs. The old consoles couldn't handle COD1, so it only became huge in your world (read: console) once 360 and PS3 came out. It was a well-established franchise by then, though.

COD1 and COD2 were done by IW. When Activision saw how successful the game was on consoles, they tasked Treyarch to make the next one while IW started work on MW.

Yeah I thought you were talking about consoles. I never played on PC.

Dayze
10-14-2011, 10:11 AM
So, I typically played the campaign first in the MW/BLOPS then played the maps against bots. I didn't really get into playing online against real people all that much.

My question is; could I play this way in BF3 (never played BF games)? Or, is it strictly online with real people? I also dont' have a headset etc, so not sure how that impacts things. And...don't really have anyone else I know that plays it lol.

I do like hearing that BF is more realistic etc/team oriented.

Mr. Plow
10-14-2011, 10:16 AM
So, I typically played the campaign first in the MW/BLOPS then played the maps against bots. I didn't really get into playing online against real people all that much.

My question is; could I play this way in BF3 (never played BF games)? Or, is it strictly online with real people? I also dont' have a headset etc, so not sure how that impacts things. And...don't really have anyone else I know that plays it lol.

I don't believe you can do the online MP maps against bots in BF3. What console are you?

Pants
10-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Well, BLOPS was the first COD to have bots, which was an awesome feature, IMO, and I have no idea why they didn't do that earlier. You couldn't do that with the Bad Company games, but you could DL a DLC that would let you play Onslaught mode and that would be kind of what you might be looking for. These games are primarily made for online, though. Shit, older BF games didn't have any campaigns at all (but you could play the maps against bots, which was the only single-player option you had).

Detoxing
10-14-2011, 10:24 AM
The biggest issue I have with these games is the end game.

At least Black Ops gave us a reason to prestige, even if it was a shitty reason....the Shiny Gold Camo and the class slots.

I was hoping MW3 would reward us better for prestiging.

Pants
10-14-2011, 10:28 AM

At least Black Ops gave us a reason to prestige, even if it was a shitty reason....the Shiny Gold Camo and the class slots.

I feel like Halo has the best leveling system and matchmaking system ever. Your rank goes up and down depending on how you play and matches you up with people of your own rank. When you see a 50 in Halo, you know that dude can curbstomp 99% of all other players.

Von Dumbass
10-14-2011, 10:29 AM

I'm not entirely sure how the prestige system will work in MW3 but I have heard that once you prestige you can bring one item with you, like if you unlocked a Pro perk that was a bitch to get you could bring it with you on your next prestige, or you could bring a fully leveled weapon with you to your next prestige. If you don't want to bring anything with you then you can use the prestige shop to buy double XP for a short period right after you prestige.

But yeah, first prestigers can get gold guns now just by leveling up their weapon, I'm sure that you get extra custom classes though once you prestige.

I don't know how I missed your message last night. I saw you sign on and sent you a message and you didn't respond. So I was just going to play MW2 until you sent me a message and I didn't see it until this morning.

Nightfyre
10-14-2011, 10:31 AM
I hope the unlock system goes back to something similar to COD4. The BlOps COD point system was super shitty.

edit: referring to attachments of course. I liked the kills with weapons to unlock attachments. sidebar - pro perks should not be as difficult to attain as they were in BlOps either. The previous system of having one challenge was better.

Detoxing
10-14-2011, 10:31 AM
I don't know how I missed your message last night. I saw you sign on and sent you a message and you didn't respond. So I was just going to play MW2 until you sent me a message and I didn't see it until this morning.

Damn, I must have missed your message. It probably happened when I had my PS3 on but I had the TV switched over to watch the USC game.

Gotta take a look at our next QB you know...

Mr. Plow
10-14-2011, 10:36 AM
I hope the unlock system goes back to something similar to COD4. The BlOps COD point system was super shitty.

I kind of liked. Allowed me to get a decent class together early rather than waiting for perks to unlock & shit.

Sofa King
10-14-2011, 10:45 AM
I feel like Halo has the best leveling system and matchmaking system ever. Your rank goes up and down depending on how you play and matches you up with people of your own rank. When you see a 50 in Halo, you know that dude can curbstomp 99% of all other players.

That would be nice.

Nightfyre
10-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Unlocked camo's and attachments were awesome, imo. The challenge system forced you to play different weapons in different states and to use all of your tools. It actually improved me as a player personally, and I'm sure it had the same impact on others as well.

I liked the unlocked backgrounds and icons rather than the purhcased ones. I felt like I could get a background that actually says, "I'm a badass." Custom emblems sucked. The last thing I want is see more gay-ass jizzing penises that the COD community seems emphatuated with.

Von Dumbass
10-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Custom emblems sucked.

Mine was awesome....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yaPlCiaRWjo/SPzK7U8IYvI/AAAAAAAAA84/fyuHt4iFliw/s400/BRONCOS.jpg

Dayze
10-14-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't believe you can do the online MP maps against bots in BF3. What console are you?

PS3

Dayze
10-14-2011, 11:11 AM

that was my frustration in BLOPs playing aganist real people. when I first stared out, I would be at like a level 5 or whatever, and be in a match with nothing but 30+ ranks etc. I got smoked every time I played. To the point I was just like "F this" lol. I heard my buddies say "Oh, you just gotta keep playing" etc...well, I did, but same result. So, I'm not sure if I just wasn't playing 'enough' to get better or what, but it was a pretty miserable experience. Until someone on here mentioned I could play against bots.

QuikSsurfer
10-14-2011, 12:46 PM

COD 1 and 2 -- even the big red expansion were HUGE on PC/MAC... just so you know.

Kraus
10-14-2011, 02:22 PM
I'll be playing both, probably just depends what friends are on and what they're playing at the moment.

Lzen
10-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Mine sucked

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yaPlCiaRWjo/SPzK7U8IYvI/AAAAAAAAA84/fyuHt4iFliw/s400/BRONCOS.jpg

FYP

lcarus
10-14-2011, 03:19 PM
**** em both. Aren't people tired of shooting eachother online yet?

Sofa King
10-14-2011, 03:21 PM

Allow me to answer that with my AK74u.

Detoxing
10-14-2011, 03:23 PM

I am. which is why I've turned to shooting Zombies and playing World of Warcraft.

lcarus
10-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Allow me to answer that with my AK74u.

Make it quick and try to do it without me suspecting it. Please.

Pants
10-14-2011, 03:33 PM

You can't find a better way to compete from the comfort of your home. :)

Cave Johnson
10-14-2011, 04:33 PM
EA is charging for used multiplayer..... apparently they're not serious about competing with MW.

Pants
10-14-2011, 05:42 PM
EA is charging for used multiplayer..... apparently they're not serious about competing with MW.

Yeah, they started that bullshit even before BC2. You have to pay $10 for an access code (which comes free with every new purchase).

Setsuna
10-15-2011, 09:08 AM
I am. which is why I've turned to shooting Zombies and playing World of Warcraft.

:eek: I was under that trance once. Don't play WoW. Suck the life out of you, then lick the marrow from your bones.

CoMoChief
10-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Don't be pussies......get Mario Party

SnakeXJones
10-15-2011, 11:09 AM

The Tin Foil Gold Camo looks like shit though

Sofa King
10-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Anyone else bought their MW3 12 pack of Mountain Dew yet? I just ran to the store and picked mine up. I'm going to enjoy one this afternoon.

Detoxing
10-18-2011, 10:08 AM
:eek: I was under that trance once. Don't play WoW. Suck the life out of you, then lick the marrow from your bones.

Lol. I know. I played for several years before I quit. Back on it now.

Cave Johnson
10-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Yeah, they started that bullshit even before BC2. You have to pay $10 for an access code (which comes free with every new purchase).

But in BC2, the code was just for additional guns/perks. For BF3, they've basically reduced the value of your 360/PS3 copy by $10. While that might generate some incremental revenue, it's not going to help make a dent into the COD market.

Between their shitty beta and this, EA can go f themselves.

Pants
10-18-2011, 11:18 AM
But in BC2, the code was just for additional guns/perks. For BF3, they've basically reduced the value of your 360/PS3 copy by $10. While that might generate some incremental revenue, it's not going to help make a dent into the COD market.

Between their shitty beta and this, EA can go f themselves.

No, the guns/perks came via the Dr. Pepper promo. The code was for the multiplayer maps, IIRC. EA has been doing the code thing for quite a bit. I agree with you that it's not going to help make a dent into the COD market which is pretty much impossible, IMO.

Kraus
10-18-2011, 11:36 AM
No, the guns/perks came via the Dr. Pepper promo. The code was for the multiplayer maps, IIRC. EA has been doing the code thing for quite a bit. I agree with you that it's not going to help make a dent into the COD market which is pretty much impossible, IMO.

The whole idea of an online pass is bullshit IMHO. You pay for the game you should get to play everything that is on the disc.

Pants
10-18-2011, 11:39 AM
The whole idea of an online pass is bullshit IMHO. You pay for the game you should get to play everything that is on the disc.

No doubt.

Iowanian
10-18-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't know either, but could be talked into either game.

I like 2 types of games....Shooting cartoon warriors of12 year olds in face and football.

That's about it. I don't give a shit to swing axes at warthogs with axes or chop down aliens or fly around on a unicorn sword fighting other ninjas....so I hope they keep improving games where I can play football, and shoot 12 year olds in the face until their is a gnashing of braces.

Pants
10-18-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't know either, but could be talked into either game.

I like 2 types of games....Shooting cartoon warriors of12 year olds in face and football.

That's about it. I don't give a shit to swing axes at warthogs with axes or chop down aliens or fly around on a unicorn sword fighting other ninjas....so I hope they keep improving games where I can play football, and shoot 12 year olds in the face until their is a gnashing of braces.

If you like shooting trash-talking 12 year olds, MW3 is for you. BF3 is going to be mostly adults playing.

Von Dumbass
10-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Anyone else bought their MW3 12 pack of Mountain Dew yet? I just ran to the store and picked mine up. I'm going to enjoy one this afternoon.

You get Double XP for buying Mountain Dew, don't you?

Iowanian
10-18-2011, 11:50 AM
more adults play bf3 because of realism? Different game goals or what?
I like shooting trash talking 40 year olds too.

If it's cold enough this winter, I might end up with both

Pants
10-18-2011, 11:52 AM
more adults play bf3 because of realism? Different game goals or what?
I like shooting trash talking 40 year olds too.

If it's cold enough this winter, I might end up with both

Yeah, BF games definitely require way more patience and team work to succeed than their COD counterparts. They're both worth playing and extremely enjoyable.

One series is constantly evolving, the other has stopped evolving with MW2, though.

frankotank
10-18-2011, 12:04 PM
that was my frustration in BLOPs playing aganist real people. when I first stared out, I would be at like a level 5 or whatever, and be in a match with nothing but 30+ ranks etc. I got smoked every time I played. To the point I was just like "F this" lol. I heard my buddies say "Oh, you just gotta keep playing" etc...well, I did, but same result. So, I'm not sure if I just wasn't playing 'enough' to get better or what, but it was a pretty miserable experience. Until someone on here mentioned I could play against bots.

bingo! me too. although some in CP would disagree....I'm not a tard! I can play games for crying out loud....but some of the dudes out there...wow, you stand no chance. BF3 looks absolutely STUNNING! but if I can't play bots, if I have to get my ass kicked all the time by better players....not sure I want to go there. just so I'm crystal clear...unlike black ops, in BF3 I won't be able to roll thru worlds against anything other than real people/real players....right??

Mr. Plow
10-18-2011, 12:20 PM
bingo! me too. although some in CP would disagree....I'm not a tard! I can play games for crying out loud....but some of the dudes out there...wow, you stand no chance. BF3 looks absolutely STUNNING! but if I can't play bots, if I have to get my ass kicked all the time by better players....not sure I want to go there. just so I'm crystal clear...unlike black ops, in BF3 I won't be able to roll thru worlds against anything other than real people/real players....right??

I struggled with BF2.....horribly. I think I was just to used to the COD series where you can get away with just running around like a dumbfuck by yourself and still end up 20-5. You can't do that in BF2 and I struggled with it.

But, once I figured out joining a squad makes a shit ton of difference in how you play, I started to get better. Then, you get into a good squad (like I did with guys from CP), and the game is so awesome.

-King-
10-18-2011, 12:25 PM

In a few years, you'll need to buy two discs. One for the multi player and the other for single player
Posted via Mobile Device

Sofa King
10-18-2011, 12:30 PM
You get Double XP for buying Mountain Dew, don't you?

I don't know. I'll read the box!

EDIT: yup!!!

mmmuuuuaaaAAAAAAAA MUUUUUAAAAAAAA!!

Von Dumbass
10-18-2011, 01:08 PM
I don't know. I'll read the box!

EDIT: yup!!!

mmmuuuuaaaAAAAAAAA MUUUUUAAAAAAAA!!

How long do you get Double XP for per code? 10 minutes? An hour?

EDIT: Found the chart. I'm going to buy a shit ton of Code Red and Doritos.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6480/aviaryrankupxpcompictur.png

Sofa King
10-18-2011, 01:13 PM
How long do you get Double XP for per code? 10 minutes? An hour?

Infinity.

Not really. I'll check. ummm. Doesn't say. It does say it now gives me 3 free chopper gunners every time i play with you.. so that helps.

Von Dumbass
10-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Infinity.

Not really. I'll check. ummm. Doesn't say. It does say it now gives me 3 free chopper gunners every time i play with you.. so that helps.

As long as it's not that shitty ass attack helicopter I'm fine with that. LMAO

Sofa King
10-18-2011, 01:21 PM
As long as it's not that shitty ass attack helicopter I'm fine with that. LMAO

LMAO

I forgot all about using those and making you fuckers wait. That was awesome.

Von Dumbass
10-18-2011, 01:36 PM
LMAO

I forgot all about using those and making you ****ers wait. That was awesome.
:cuss:

Those attack helicopters are giant POS, if you get one kill with that thing you are lucky as hell. All that thing does is cockblock the good choppers.

Sofa King
10-18-2011, 01:45 PM
:cuss:

Those attack helicopters are giant POS, if you get one kill with that thing you are lucky as hell. All that thing does is cockblock the good choppers.

That's what you get for stealing my kills! i run 90% of the way across the map, get within 5 feet of a guy with my knives and you fucking shoot his ass from halfway across the map! you fucker!

Guru
10-19-2011, 12:22 AM
In a few years, you'll need to buy two discs. One for the multi player and the other for single player
Posted via Mobile Device

Hell, I'm fine with that. I rarely play online anyway so I wouldn't feel like I lost out on anything.

What I see happening is the end of single player games. Eventually everything will be online multiplayer only.

Pants
10-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Hell, I'm fine with that. I rarely play online anyway so I wouldn't feel like I lost out on anything.

What I see happening is the end of single player games. Eventually everything will be online multiplayer only.

I don't think so. That's like people predicting that there would be no more books after radio and TV were invented. There will always be storytelling in video games because there's a market for it.

Sofa King
10-19-2011, 08:33 AM

I actually struggle playing games single player anymore, i get bored too easy. It's always more fun multiplayer IMO.

Pants
10-19-2011, 08:40 AM
I actually struggle playing games single player anymore, i get bored too easy. It's always more fun multiplayer IMO.

I'm the same way but that mostly applies to FPS for me.

Sofa King
10-19-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm the same way but that mostly applies to FPS for me.

I'm the same way with RPG games. I mean who the hell wants to spend all that time leveling up a guy and be able to show it off?

Pants
10-19-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm the same way with RPG games. I mean who the hell wants to spend all that time leveling up a guy and be able to show it off?

Different kind of RPGs. Diablo is not really an RPG as much as it is a hack and slash that let's you level up. If you want an RPG, play Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Witcher, etc. Those games are the true RPGs, where you make choices or progress through an incredibly well written story.

Diablo is like a shallow little puddle compared to any one of those games and they are all single player.

Valiant
10-19-2011, 11:00 AM

Just play engineer and drive the tank and repair it or play medic. Medic and ammo supplier can rack up tons of points to level.

Being in a squad is where you start to dominate.

I did not play the beta as I want the game to be fresh. Are jets overpowered?

Detoxing
10-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Different kind of RPGs. Diablo is not really an RPG as much as it is a hack and slash that let's you level up. If you want an RPG, play Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Witcher, etc. Those games are the true RPGs, where you make choices or progress through an incredibly well written story.

Diablo is like a shallow little puddle compared to any one of those games and they are all single player.

MMORPG FTMFW!

Pants
10-19-2011, 11:05 AM
MMORPG FTMFW!

MMOs are truly amazing, 100% agreed. Doesn't take away the fact that there will always be a market for storytelling, though, I don't think.

Aspengc8
10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Just play engineer and drive the tank and repair it or play medic. Medic and ammo supplier can rack up tons of points to level.

None of the vehicles are really "overpowered" right off the bat. There are vehicle specific unlocks as you accumulate points. Jets just start with the vanilla machine gun until you can get air to air heat seeking missiles, radar jamming, counter measures, air to ground missiles, etc. Same with the ground based vehicles. I played the beta and got the guided missile unlock for the Tungksta (sp) or whatever its called russian AA tank. Took me about 3 hours worth of games sitting on a hill shooting at jets/choppers/occassional humvee.

Detoxing
10-19-2011, 11:19 AM
MMOs are truly amazing, 100% agreed. Doesn't take away the fact that there will always be a market for storytelling, though, I don't think.

I agree with you. Maybe it's because of my A.D.D, or maybe I just suck at RPG's, but I can't find anything that enveloped me more than FF7.

What's the best RPG you've played on PS3? One that you couldn't put down?

Pants
10-19-2011, 11:26 AM
I agree with you. Maybe it's because of my A.D.D, or maybe I just suck at RPG's, but I can't find anything that enveloped me more than FF7.

What's the best RPG you've played on PS3? One that you couldn't put down?

The last RPG that I could absolutely not put down was KOTOR when it first came out. That was a mind blowing game at the time even for someone who's not a Stars Wars fan (like me).

lcarus
10-19-2011, 11:32 AM
As much as I hate all these cut and paste shooters now days, I'll probably still get MW3 and play it for a few weeks before I get tired of being an average player. I liked MW2 pretty well, even with all of its flaws, but Black Ops really turned me off the series. Treyarch just sucks in my opinion. If you look at the list of games they've made, there are hardly any worth mentioning. I find World At War and Black Ops to be the black sheep of the series. COD4 and MW2 were pretty all right in my book. I figured I'd like Black Ops and WAW the best considering how much I like the Vietnam War and WWII. I just didn't find them nearly as polished as the MW games.

-King-
10-19-2011, 12:02 PM

I hear that they can be shot down extremely easily.

Dayze
10-19-2011, 12:24 PM
does one need a headset and mic to play on line with this game?

Pants
10-19-2011, 12:26 PM
does one need a headset and mic to play on line with this game?

If you want to talk to your team, yes. It's not a requirement, though.

Dayze
10-19-2011, 12:41 PM
cool.
If I didn't have a headset/mic, would I have any sort of on screen instruction as to where to go/what to do?. I saw on a few online vids that would have an icon that would read 'attack,' etc. So, say I were a support person, would the game give some idication of what was needed at various points during a match?

I'm new to the franchise...obviously. lol

Mr. Plow
10-19-2011, 12:41 PM
If you want to talk to your team, yes. It's not a requirement, though.

Speaking of which....I need to get me ANOTHER headset this weekend.

Pants
10-19-2011, 12:45 PM
cool.
If I didn't have a headset/mic, would I have any sort of on screen instruction as to where to go/what to do?. I saw on a few online vids that would have an icon that would read 'attack,' etc. So, say I were a support person, would the game give some idication of what was needed at various points during a match?

Yeah, your teammates can look at you and press a button to call out for help. They can also look at an objective and press the same button to let you know that's where they're going to attack (or defend) so you will know. If you're on the 360, get a headset, man. We don't bite. I don't know about those PS3 assholes, though. ;)

Pants
10-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Speaking of which....I need to get me ANOTHER headset this weekend.

LOL

I can't wait to play with the guys again. Hopefully the release build won't be ****ed like the beta when it comes to squads.

Mr. Plow
10-19-2011, 12:48 PM
LOL

I can't wait to play with the guys again. Hopefully the release build won't be ****ed like the beta when it comes to squads.

I'm buying myself a new controller & a new headset....and then I'm buying a safe so that when I'm not playing with either of them, my kids won't be able to touch them.

Dayze
10-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Yeah, your teammates can look at you and press a button to call out for help. They can also look at an objective and press the same button to let you know that's where they're going to attack (or defend) so you will know. If you're on the 360, get a headset, man. We don't bite. I don't know about those PS3 assholes, though. ;)
lol
....I'm on PS3.
...asshole.

:D

Thanks for the info; I'll check out some headsets.

Bambi
10-19-2011, 04:00 PM
I TOO am buying a goddamn headset!

crispystl420
10-19-2011, 05:26 PM
cool.

You can use the headset to a cell phone for xbox 360. I use mine and prefer to the x-box headphones.