PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Selling House Question

cookster50
10-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Anyone ever try one of those flat fee listing services to get your house listed on the MLS without going through a broker charging you 3%? Looking for anyone that has experience trying to sell their house this way.....

Pants
10-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Now's not a good time, bro.

MahiMike
10-14-2011, 12:39 PM
These are the only way to go if you want to sell FSBO. Your house MUST be on MLS to have a chance to sell. Although, as already posted, it's still not a good time. Be prepared to sell for what the foreclosed homes in your n'hood are going for.

threebag02
10-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Bill Cowher will buy it

cookster50
10-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Now's not a good time, bro.

I'm looking at the future, probably March/April. Still probably won't be a good time, but won't have a choice.

cookster50
10-14-2011, 12:47 PM
These are the only way to go if you want to sell FSBO. Your house MUST be on MLS to have a chance to sell. Although, as already posted, it's still not a good time. Be prepared to sell for what the foreclosed homes in your n'hood are going for.

Have you done this?

58-4ever
10-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Where do you live? This could be an option, but it is one that will take patience and time..

DJ's left nut
10-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Burn it down, collect the insurance money.

Don't forget to gather up family pets first.

58-4ever
10-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Burn it down, collect the insurance money.

Don't forget to gather up family pets first.

This is definitely an option. Don't forget to gather all of your freinds valuables in your house, take pictures, and return them before the fire.

DMAC
10-14-2011, 12:59 PM
I am wanting to sell but dont HAVE to sell. I just put my house up and expect it to be on the market for a year.

cookster50
10-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Where do you live? This could be an option, but it is one that will take patience and time..

Methdependence, I don't see how it would be any different than getting an agent. Listing on MLS is the key, the only thing an agent can do for you that you have to do yourself with the flat fee listings is negotiate the purchase price. For $500 I can get listed on MLS, have a lockbox, post a realtors sign in my yard, and receive all the paperwork needed to negotiate and close a sell. Hoping someone on here has done this and can speak from experience......

Dave Lane
10-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Is this Bill Cowher? Don't sell Rausch wants you to stay!

Dave Lane
10-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Methdependence, I don't see how it would be any different than getting an agent. Listing on MLS is the key, the only thing an agent can do for you that you have to do yourself with the flat fee listings is negotiate the purchase price. For $500 I can get listed on MLS, have a lockbox, post a realtors sign in my yard, and receive all the paperwork needed to negotiate and close a sell. Hoping someone on here has done this and can speak from experience......

Get a realtor. Mark the price up 4-5% people expect the price to be lower anyway let them catch the arrows and no fee unless you sell. Any other option is foolish especially in a bad market.

doomy3
10-14-2011, 02:59 PM

Well, this isn't true. Many houses sell from marketing specifically to agents who are actively working with buyers looking for something that is in this price range. I have listed tons of houses for people who wasted $500 on something like this only to have no success and then got it sold quickly. And there is a huge contingency of buyers who won't even look at something that is listed FSBO due to the fact that they don't want the home owner to be the one that shows them the house as they can't be honest in evaluating it in front of them, etc. I work with tons of buyers and the most awkward times is always when the homeowner is there showing a house.

But, if you are trying to save a few bucks and don't think an agent is helpful in negotiations, don't value the protection of having a large company backing you in case of accidentally leaving out a material defect, don't see the value in the huge network of people that they can market to that you won't be able to, then you may give it a try.

By the way, of course I am a real estate agent in the Kansas City area. If you change your mind and at least want to explore listing this, feel free to shoot me a PM. I've helped several people on here buy and sell houses.

doomy3
10-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Get a realtor. Mark the price up 4-5% people expect the price to be lower anyway let them catch the arrows and no fee unless you sell. Any other option is foolish especially in a bad market.

Yep.

TEX
10-14-2011, 03:49 PM

This is Gospel. Follow this advice.

TEX
10-14-2011, 03:51 PM
I am wanting to sell but dont HAVE to sell. I just put my house up and expect it to be on the market for a year.

You just might be surprised. I've bought and sold two houses since March. Of course the Market in Houston might be different.

cookster50
10-14-2011, 04:44 PM
Well, this isn't true. Many houses sell from marketing specifically to agents who are actively working with buyers looking for something that is in this price range. I have listed tons of houses for people who wasted $500 on something like this only to have no success and then got it sold quickly. And there is a huge contingency of buyers who won't even look at something that is listed FSBO due to the fact that they don't want the home owner to be the one that shows them the house as they can't be honest in evaluating it in front of them, etc. I work with tons of buyers and the most awkward times is always when the homeowner is there showing a house.

This is exactly what I would expect an agent to say. The thing about these flat fee listings is that buyers agents still show the house, it isn't listed as FSBO. There is a listing agent, you simply contact the owner to setup a time, the owner isn't there. Now, the other points you bring up, sure, there is something to that. But saying that it is a huge turnoff because the seller is showing the house is patently false simply because in this scenario the seller is NOT at the house. When I go to look at houses, I have an agent I work with that shows me whatever house I want, not the owners of the house.

Okie_Apparition
10-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Let the bank have it back like everyone else

doomy3
10-14-2011, 10:50 PM
This is exactly what I would expect an agent to say. The thing about these flat fee listings is that buyers agents still show the house, it isn't listed as FSBO. There is a listing agent, you simply contact the owner to setup a time, the owner isn't there. Now, the other points you bring up, sure, there is something to that. But saying that it is a huge turnoff because the seller is showing the house is patently false simply because in this scenario the seller is NOT at the house. When I go to look at houses, I have an agent I work with that shows me whatever house I want, not the owners of the house.

Yes, I understand quite well how these work.

And if you don't think that buyer's agents don't know what the "brokerages" are that offer these and would much prefer to sell a standard listing where they are dealing with another professional, then that's cool.

And most of the time, the homeowner is indeed there for the showing. Perhaps you aren't planning on being there, and that's cool. Certainly what I said isn't patently false though. I have probably shown 40 of these houses that were flat fee listings, and most of the time sellers absolutely are there.

There's a reason for this too: Most people don't want to have a combo lockbox on their door as they aren't the most secure things you could have. IBox's are only available for licensed agents, so your only options are to have a combo lockbox on your door, or to let people in. Assuming you are still living in the house and have belongings in there, most people who go this route don't want to risk everyone knowing a combination to get in their house.

KChiefs1
10-15-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm looking at the future, probably March/April. Still probably won't be a good time, but won't have a choice.

I have been told by several real estate professionals that it will be a couple of years before it gets back to what it was ten years ago & that it might never get all the way back.

Advice: price it to sell...don't list it high because you aren't going to get it & listing it low will ultimately save you time & money.

KChiefs1
10-15-2011, 08:51 AM

Lucky you because houses down here have been on the market over a year & that's with a $50,000 price reduction too.