PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Coach Haley knows how to push the right buttons

KCrockaholic
10-15-2011, 07:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=capress-fbn_chiefs_bye-11397240

It takes a lot to get Steve Breaston(notes) riled up.

The Kansas City Chiefs' wide receiver is about the most docile football player you'll ever come across. Sure, he gets feisty for games, and his energy in practice is downright infectious. But in the locker room and away from the playing field, Breaston is about as chill as they come.

Todd Haley managed to do it.

More than once, too.

"It's Jekyll and Hyde when it comes to coach Haley," Breaston said. "It's the way his coaching style is, and a lot of people see him ranting and raving. But he knows how to handle each player. You understand that's part of coaching, and you understand how you have to handle him."

Haley has blown up on the sideline more than once in his two-plus seasons in Kansas City, and more than once those blowups have been caught by television cameras. The latest happened a couple weeks ago against Minnesota, when Haley got into it with quarterback Matt Cassel(notes), the video clip showing up on Youtube within hours of the incident.

The sideline flare-ups have rubbed some people the wrong way, but one thing is undeniable: Haley coaches his own way, and nobody is going to make him change.

"You got a bunch of guys who are really passionate about being better, and being good, and being part of a good team, and when you have passionate guys who care, I would expect there to be some emotion," Haley said. "What's important is that you move forward and that everybody is on the same page, and that the coaching is done, however it's done, and that points are made."

Apparently, the message is getting through.

It probably doesn't hurt that it's often delivered at an earsplitting decibel level.

Haley took over a franchise that was down and out, an aging roster in need of turnover, and quickly made it into a winner. The Chiefs won the AFC West last season, something few people outside the practice facility thought possible, and came into this season with high expectations.

Injuries and an awful start wiped those expectations away, but Haley has stayed the course. The result has been a modest two-game winning streak going into the Chiefs' week off, and the very tangible sense that the team is getting better. Haley isn't willing to take the credit for it, but just about everyone in the locker room points their finger at him as the reason why.

"Sometimes emotions get the best of you," Cassel said, recalling his sideline spat during the Chiefs' win over Minnesota. "He came over and sat next to me five minutes later, and nothing else is made of it, and we move forward. You just understand that's how he does things."

Fullback Le'Ron McClain(notes), who had spent his entire career with Baltimore before this season, has noticed the "Jekyll and Hyde" style of his new coach.

McClain pointed out that Haley can bellow with the best of them on the practice field, and he shudders to think of the earful his coach gives referees. It was McClain who wound up separating Haley and Cassel during their tiff at Arrowhead Stadium, trying to get everybody to calm down.

But there's also the side of Haley that people don't see, McClain said.

Like when Haley went to a Lil Wayne concert with cornerback Brandon Flowers(notes), or decided to bring a game called "cornhole" into the locker room to give guys something to play between meetings. Haley often joins in, tossing bean bags at two pieces of lumber with holes drilled in them, or he'll just watch with a sly grin while drinking a Diet Coke off to the side.

"A lot of people get caught up in that other stuff and think that's coach Haley the person," Breaston said. "That's coach Haley motivating us to play better, to play with discipline."

Breaston could have gone elsewhere during the off-season, but he signed with Kansas City of his own volition. The biggest reason was Haley, who got the most out of him as a young wide receiver back when Haley was the offensive co-ordinator at Arizona.

"He may be hard on you, but growing up in certain households, your parents are hard on you," Breaston said. "They want you to do things right, but then they're cheering for you also, you know? They're behind you, and coach Haley is like that. Behind the scenes he's a fun guy."

Haley admits there are times he tries to tweak his players. That's part of coaching. Knowing how and when is what separates the good ones from the bad.

"There's got to be something to provoke a reaction," Haley said, "and in some cases those are a little easier to find than others."

In the case of Breaston, Haley was on him every day in practice. He stayed on him in the halls of the practice facility. He quizzed him mercilessly in the film room, trying his best to break him.

It nearly worked.

Breaston is grateful for it now.

"He knows how to handle each player," Breaston said. "It's not always rah-rah-rah. He knows how to handle different situations. He's been around football for a very long time, and when you're around that environment, you learn how to motivate certain people.

"He's pushed me. It happens. But the one thing he understands is that I go out there and do it right. I show him I understand by correcting my mistakes and doing it right," Breaston said. "He might think, 'I'm not getting across,' because I'm not reacting to it, but then I go out and do it right."

That, of course, is all that matters.

KCrockaholic
10-15-2011, 07:38 PM
The writer fails to remember that Haley really didn't take over an aging team.

Herm created the youth of this team, and Haley has been given the task of coaching them up.

I just like to give credit where credit is due.

Chocolate Hog
10-15-2011, 07:53 PM
He obviously pushed Pioli's wrong button.

Reerun_KC
10-15-2011, 07:54 PM

Link?

BigMeatballDave
10-15-2011, 07:55 PM
He obviously pushed Pioli's wrong button.Huh?

</post>
10-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Breaston could have gone elsewhere during the off-season... The biggest reason was Haley, who got the most out of him as a young wide receiver back when Haley was the offensive co-ordinator at Arizona.

...or it was the boatload of $$$

Okie_Apparition
10-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Yeah
The ones under white cotton panties

Dave Lane
10-15-2011, 09:40 PM
I'll come clean I like Haley like his approach and think he's going to be one of the neo-retro coaches that will set trends down the road.

Fritz88
10-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Yawn.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
10-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Yawn.
Posted via Mobile DeviceYay! Lets bring back Marty.

rocknrolla
10-16-2011, 12:02 AM
"A lot of people get caught up in that other stuff and think that's coach Haley the person," Breaston said. "That's coach Haley motivating us to play better, to play with discipline."

I think Haley does that very well. I hope he gets to stick around here for a while. hes going to be an excellent coach. This corn hole thing is getting tiresome. And sound gay. Weather it helps the team or not.

lcarus
10-16-2011, 12:09 AM
A lot of talk about Haley's "blowups" on the sideline. I don't quite get it. He's like the billionth coach to have fits on the sideline.

rocknrolla
10-16-2011, 12:33 AM
I don't get it either. I love a coach with some fire and emotion. Not so much the DV emotions. Seems like earlier in the season, he soften up a little. I can see the meth head asshole we love coming out slowly.

HoneyBadger
10-16-2011, 12:34 AM
I go hot and cold with Haley, I can't figure out if I like him or hate him more.

KCtotheSB
10-16-2011, 12:36 AM
I heard Haley likes to do stuff with women in bars.

rocknrolla
10-16-2011, 12:37 AM
I have liked a lot he has done. Besides the preseason cluster f*ck. I love his passion and attitude. If he can get rid of Cassel. He will be great.

HoneyBadger
10-16-2011, 12:38 AM
That's a rumor! But who doesn't like doing things with women in bars....

WhiteWhale
10-16-2011, 01:10 AM
I go hot and cold with Haley, I can't figure out if I like him or hate him more.

This.

Haley is, at least, a very intriguing coach.

I love what seems to be an impressive ability to develop individual talent, but in a lot other ways he just drives me crazy.

HoneyBadger
10-16-2011, 01:13 AM
He's like a girl I can't decide if I like her for her... or the mind blowing sex.

Pioli Zombie
10-16-2011, 04:33 AM
Haley knows how to push little old ladies down the escalator.

Pioli Zombie
10-16-2011, 04:35 AM
He's like a girl I can't decide if I like her for her... or the mind blowing sex.

You want to have mind blowing sex with Todd Haley? Would you like to rephrase your post now?

Dave Lane
10-16-2011, 08:53 AM
I heard Haley likes to do stuff with women in bars.

True story, he can get arrested and handcuffed without anyone seeing anything or any police report.

DTLB58
10-16-2011, 09:29 AM

:BS:

BossChief
10-16-2011, 10:14 AM
I just had a scary thought.

We fire Haley and he ends up in San Diego

Rausch
10-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I just had a scary thought.

We fire Haley and he ends up in San Diego

I'd fucking love that.

He'd be gone in 1 year and they'd be back to looking for another schill...

Rausch
10-16-2011, 10:24 AM
A lot of talk about Haley's "blowups" on the sideline. I don't quite get it. He's like the billionth coach to have fits on the sideline.

He doesn't even compare to a guy like Chucky...

milkman
10-16-2011, 10:25 AM
I'd ****ing love that.

He'd be gone in 1 year and they'd be back to looking for another schill...

Again I tell you, you're unmitigated bias is turning you into a dumbass, and I know you are smarter than you appear because of that bias.

Rausch
10-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Again I tell you, you're unmitigated bias is turning you into a dumbass, and I know you are smarter than you appear because of that bias.

Think about it.

No way would SD put up with a strong minded, opinionated, risky HC like Haley.

He'd be fired in a year.

What SD wants is someone the GM can push around while fielding a respectable record.

You disagree with any of that?...

milkman
10-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Think about it.

He'd be fired in a year.

What SD wants is someone the GM can push around while fielding a respectable record.

I believe that AJ Smith wants someone who shares the same vision and philosophy on team building and strategy.

Smith has an aggressive philosphy, Marty has a conservative philosophy, so they could not co-exist.

BossChief
10-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Think about it.

He'd be fired in a year.

What are you talking about?

Haley has been the perfect soldier for a gm.

Pioli hired his assistants, handcuffed him to a quarterback and gave him a fat, undisciplined roster.

Haley with a qb like Rivers and that much talent would be scary good.

Claynus
10-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Too bad he doesn't know how to win.

Rausch
10-16-2011, 10:36 AM
I believe that AJ Smith wants someone who shares the same vision and philosophy on team building and strategy.

Smith has an aggressive philosphy, Marty has a conservative philosophy, so they could not co-exist.

Well, apparently AJ and the Phantom of the fucking Opera share the same philosophy.

And it's ended in underachievement for over 5 years.

With the talent they've had there is absolutely no excuse for not making a super bowl.

NONE.

You decide if that's HC, GM, or a combination of both but if I was an 'eggo fan I'd want change before every bit of talent on that team gets old...

KCChiefsFan88
10-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Of course this creampuff article fails to mention that Haley has a sub-.500 record as head coach of the Chiefs and is basically on par with the likes of Tony Sparano in terms of winning %.

Also Haley hasn't defeated a team with a winning record since beating Denver during the final game of the 2009 season (and Denver was 8-7).

This article's claim that Haley is some sort of master motivator is not showing up in wins/losses.

That is the bottom line.

milkman
10-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Well, apparently AJ and the Phantom of the ****ing Opera share the same philosophy.

And it's ended in underachievement for over 5 years.

With the talent they've had there is absolutely no excuse for not making a super bowl.

NONE.

You decide if that's HC, GM, or a combination of both but if I was an 'eggo fan I'd want change before every bit of talent on that team gets old...

I won't debate that.

Norv Turner was a terrible choice, and Smith should be fired for that decision alone.

Turner should be fired because he clearly is not a leader and never has that team ready to start the season.

The talent on that team should have been dominating the division in the last 5 years, not scratching and clawing ther way back to th top of the division in the second half of most seasons.

BossChief
10-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Of course this creampuff article fails to mention that Haley has a sub-.500 record as head coach of the Chiefs and is basically on par with the likes of Tony Sparano in terms of winning %.

Also Haley hasn't defeated a team with a winning record since beating Denver during the final game of the 2009 season (and Denver was 8-7).

This article's claim that Haley is some sort of master motivator is not showing up in wins/losses.

That is the bottom line.

I know. By now, he should have transformed Cassel into Tom Brady.

BossChief
10-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I won't debate that.

Norv Turner was a terrible choice, and Smith should be fired for that decision alone.

Turner should be fired because he clearly is not a leader and never has that team ready to start the season.

The talent on that team should have been dominating the division in the last 5 years, not scratching and clawing ther way back to th top of the division in the second half of most seasons.

Do you think if Haley went to SD, that they would be a legit sb contender?

I absolutely do

Rausch
10-16-2011, 10:45 AM

At the end of the day that's my argument: the HC should be the last piece that takes what's there and makes it even better.

You elevate the play of everyone on the team.

Norv isn't that type of guy.

It doesn't look like Haley is either.

And I'm a fair guy. If Haley can get this team to .500 or better, with this brutal schedule, he deserves 2 more years.

I don't think it will happen but if he can pull it off he deserves it...

Rausch
10-16-2011, 10:46 AM

I absolutely do

I don't.

milkman
10-16-2011, 11:03 AM
At the end of the day that's my argument: the HC should be the last piece that takes what's there and makes it even better.

You elevate the play of everyone on the team.

Norv isn't that type of guy.

It doesn't look like Haley is either.

And I'm a fair guy. If Haley can get this team to .500 or better, with this brutal schedule, he deserves 2 more years.

I don't think it will happen but if he can pull it off he deserves it...

I think that he, along with some of the staff, has raised the level of play of much of this roster, from Branden Albert this year, to DJ, to Carr to Bowe to Hali to Dorsey to Belcher.

I think these guys are playing as hard as anyone in the league, and he's getting more from most of them than any of us should have expected.

But he can't perform miracles.

He can't polish turds and turn them into anything more than polished turds, specifically Richardson and Cassel.

And, when it comes right down to it, when your QB is a turd, you're going to wind up with shit.

milkman
10-16-2011, 11:05 AM

I absolutely do

I'm not sure.

I think the defense there might have already passed it's window.

HoneyBadger
10-16-2011, 11:40 AM
You want to have mind blowing sex with Todd Haley? Would you like to rephrase your post now?

Nah... I'm not into him... I'm saying I'm comparing him to a girl. It's an analogy

GloryDayz
10-16-2011, 12:00 PM
He should push this one....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fzbW9x7xNik/TgMwzPxS6cI/AAAAAAAACqY/qit01s-mqGo/s1600/5215-SPB_P1CS.jpg

Nightfyre
10-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Too bad he doesn't know how to win.

Too bad you don't know how to evaluate anything related to football.

BigRock
10-16-2011, 03:09 PM
How many chances has he had to do it since then?

I mean, what is he, like 0-8 in those situations? 0-12?

Fill us in.

mike-rock67
10-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Sometimes it's know what to say. Sometimes it's knowing what NOT to say.

whoman69
10-16-2011, 06:01 PM

That is the bottom line.

What you fail to mention is he took over one of the worst teams in recent memory. Even in doubling the teams wins from the previous year in his first season here, it was still only 4 wins.

Claynus
10-16-2011, 06:08 PM
How many chances has he had to do it since then?

I mean, what is he, like 0-8 in those situations? 0-12?

Fill us in.

2009: 1-6 (9-7 steelers)
2010: 1-3 (9-7 chargers)
2011: 0-3, if you assume Det, Buf and San Diego will win at least 9 games.

BigRock
10-16-2011, 06:22 PM
2009: 1-6 (9-7 steelers)
2010: 1-3 (9-7 chargers)
2011: 0-3, if you assume Det, Buf and San Diego will win at least 9 games.

Those aren't the stats he's using, since that would counter his argument that we haven't beaten a winning team since 2009. Presumably he's going by his "didn't have a winning record at the specific time we played them" bit.

So since he keeps clinging to that, I want him to tell us how many times the Chiefs have had an opportunity to beat a team with a record above .500 since the 2010 season started.

Claynus
10-16-2011, 06:39 PM
That's irrelevant, and tedious to research.

BigRock
10-16-2011, 06:52 PM
That's irrelevant
Well, now you've ruined it.