PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Android 4.0 launch

AustinChief
10-18-2011, 09:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/Android

Live now for those who care.

Guru
10-18-2011, 09:29 PM
All I care about is how soon can I put it on my phone and tablet.

KevB
10-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Holy shit, this looks awesome.

AustinChief
10-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Some cool shit. MUCH nicer UI.. and some neat toys like the ability to take panoramic photos... face recognition to unlock phone... really nice folder interface...etc etc

AustinChief
10-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Another feature... instead of declining a call, you can send one of a few predefined texts saying you are buys or will call back or whatever.. pretty cool.

NFC sharing via "Android beam".. looks cool but useless until there are enough NFC phones out there.

SDK for Android 4.0 is out in the wild as of now... so expect to see custom ROMs ASAP.

KevB
10-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Some cool shit. MUCH nicer UI.. and some neat toys like the ability to take panoramic photos... face recognition to unlock phone... really nice folder interface...etc etc

Everything they talked about was much better than what came before it. This is the first mobile OS I've seen where I wasn't immediately thinking about what could be done to tweak it. This has so much cool stuff, I'd be content to just play with it for a while. Instant pics (no shutter lag), easier sharing, Android Beam, etc. Very exciting.

Buehler445
10-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Wow. Some big shit happening there.

Guru
10-18-2011, 10:46 PM
What are the hardware requirements for this?

KevB
10-18-2011, 11:30 PM
I would very much like to know when this new Nexus phone will be coming to Sprint.

AustinChief
10-18-2011, 11:31 PM
What are the hardware requirements for this?

I have no idea.. but this http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=8112 says that it should run on most hardware. I'd bet that if you can run 2.3 you can run 4.0.

AustinChief
10-18-2011, 11:40 PM
I would very much like to know when this new Nexus phone will be coming to Sprint.

Well of course the correct answer is never. I expect Samsung (and others like HTC and Motorola) to release comparable Sprint versions in late November or December.

KevB
10-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Well of course the correct answer is never. I expect Samsung (and others like HTC and Motorola) to release comparable Sprint versions in late November or December.

Yeah, I meant a comparable phone.

BigMeatballDave
10-19-2011, 12:26 AM
I wonder when/where I can DL this to my Evo?

I know Sprint won't be doing any updates.

Guru
10-19-2011, 12:56 AM
I have no idea.. but this http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=8112 says that it should run on most hardware. I'd bet that if you can run 2.3 you can run 4.0.

My LG Thrive runs 2.2.2 so I don't know if it would run 2.3 or not since LG hasn't made an update to Gingerbread yet. I know it is a 600mhz ARM 11 processor.

Bump
10-19-2011, 01:34 AM
I have a 6 month old android samsung galaxy and I couldn't be more unhappy with it. It has a battery life of 5 hours in sleeper mode and is starting to get very slow and sluggish and crashes sometimes. I know I know, it's my fault you PC nerds, it's completely my fault because I'm obviously not maintaining it properly, ammiright?

I'm gonna wait another month or 2, but I cannot wait to get the new iPhone, it's gonna be soooo much better.

nstygma
10-19-2011, 01:47 AM
I have a 6 month old android samsung galaxy and I couldn't be more unhappy with it. It has a battery life of 5 hours in sleeper mode and is starting to get very slow and sluggish and crashes sometimes. I know I know, it's my fault you PC nerds, it's completely my fault because I'm obviously not maintaining it properly, ammiright?

I'm gonna wait another month or 2, but I cannot wait to get the new iPhone, it's gonna be soooo much better.
i know what you mean. when my phone starts getting slow and unresponsive, i backup my stuff and reinstall the rom.

AustinChief
10-19-2011, 02:20 AM

You know the exact same thing can happen with an iPhone if you load it up with a ton of apps that drain battery life. I will say that since an iPhone doesn't have 4G, you won't get that additional drain.

The iPhone doesn't have a magic battery or a magic OS that uses less power... Either you have a bad unit (which even happens with Apple) or you have a ton of crap loaded on your device (which can happen with Apple as well)

My guess is that your phone has a 4G antenna which you are leaving on and it is sucking the battery dry.

BigMeatballDave
10-19-2011, 02:47 AM
You know the exact same thing can happen with an iPhone if you load it up with a ton of apps that drain battery life. I will say that since an iPhone doesn't have 4G, you won't get that additional drain.

The iPhone doesn't have a magic battery or a magic OS that uses less power... Either you have a bad unit (which even happens with Apple) or you have a ton of crap loaded on your device (which can happen with Apple as well)

My guess is that your phone has a 4G antenna which you are leaving on and it is sucking the battery dry.
If he's got a T-Mobile phone, he can't shut the 4G off.

Bump
10-19-2011, 11:04 AM

how would you turn that off?

Pants
10-19-2011, 11:06 AM

Same place where you turn your WiFi on and off. Dropdown > Quick Settings.

Fish
10-19-2011, 11:37 AM

Actually.... iOS does use considerably less power. That is exactly why Apple is so overly tyrannical about having complete control over the user experience. So they can ensure a great user experience without the OS getting bogged down like a Windows95 machine with no antivirus. That's why the App Store denies so many otherwise good apps.

Seriously, this is the greatest major difference between iOS and Android. Battery life is the number one complaint from Android owners. Not so much with iOS. That isn't even debatable. The fact that you felt the need to defend the battery and OS as not being "magical", is proof enough of the disparity between the two.

I agree that both can produce performance issues. But iOS is certainly better in that regard. Especially for less knowledgeable users...

NewChief
10-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Actually.... iOS does use considerably less power. That is exactly why Apple is so overly tyrannical about having complete control over the user experience. So they can ensure a great user experience without the OS getting bogged down like a Windows95 machine with no antivirus. That's why the App Store denies so many otherwise good apps.

Seriously, this is the greatest major difference between iOS and Android. Battery life is the number one complaint from Android owners. Not so much with iOS. That isn't even debatable. The fact that you felt the need to defend the battery and OS as not being "magical", is proof enough of the disparity between the two.

I agree that both can produce performance issues. But iOS is certainly better in that regard. Especially for less knowledgeable users...

Wasn't battery life a big part of the Apple/Adobe Flash blowup? Apple, supposedly, wasn't satisfied with the way Flash ran on iOS?

The Rick
10-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Wasn't battery life a big part of the Apple/Adobe Flash blowup? Apple, supposedly, wasn't satisfied with the way Flash ran on iOS?
Yes, you are correct.

BigMeatballDave
10-19-2011, 04:53 PM

Which carrier?

AustinChief
10-19-2011, 05:56 PM

You aren't getting what I posted... THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN POWER CONSUMPTION BY THE OS ITSELF... yes Apple has tight controls which mean it is less likely to install power draining apps or have crappy preinstalled OEM or carrier apps.

Again, yes it is far less likely for an iPhone user to load a bunch of crap that drains the battery, but it certainly CAN happen. More likely the issue (in this case) is that Apple doesn't push the limits with it's hardware (4G) and conserves a great deal of power that way.

I won;t argue that the "average" user is going to see far better battery life with an iPhone.. I am just making the point that it isn't due to some "magic" it's because the phone either has less hardware to push or the user has less battery sucking apps.

WoodDraw
10-19-2011, 08:41 PM
I really like it. It finally starts to fix a lot of the major issues with Android, and you can see Duarte all over it. The end of the Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread era at last.

Unfortunately, it will take awhile for it to gain market share. You're looking until at least a couple months into the new year before you'll see devices being sold with it. And most of the big Android manufacturers still refuse to truly support their hardware. Which is understandable - they're hardware manufacturers and make there money by selling new hardware; not with the long-term support of their products.

I hope Google's purchase of Moto helps to change that, both by offering at least one company to be relied on for timely updates, and by putting pressure on the others. We should see.

AustinChief
10-19-2011, 08:52 PM
I really like it. It finally starts to fix a lot of the major issues with Android, and you can see Duarte all over it. The end of the Eclair/Froyo/Gingerbread era at last.

Unfortunately, it will take awhile for it to gain market share. You're looking until at least a couple months into the new year before you'll see devices being sold with it. And most of the big Android manufacturers still refuse to truly support their hardware. Which is understandable - they're hardware manufacturers and make there money by selling new hardware; not with the long-term support of their products.

I hope Google's purchase of Moto helps to change that, both by offering at least one company to be relied on for timely updates, and by putting pressure on the others. We should see.

I agree almost 100% with this post.. I disagree on timing.. I think you'll see 2 or 3 devices with 4.0 this holiday season... but your dead right in that it won't be something that will make a major impact until 3 - 4 months down the line.

Duarte made a point of saying that this is the FIRST step. I have VERY high expectations moving forward. but as you said.. we shall see.

WoodDraw
10-19-2011, 09:50 PM
I agree almost 100% with this post.. I disagree on timing.. I think you'll see 2 or 3 devices with 4.0 this holiday season... but your dead right in that it won't be something that will make a major impact until 3 - 4 months down the line.

Duarte made a point of saying that this is the FIRST step. I have VERY high expectations moving forward. but as you said.. we shall see.

I just don't see how. HTC came out with a very modest "wait and see" statement. Samsung just released their signature Galaxy II. And even Motorola just announced there newest product, running 2.3 but promising an upgrade in...2012. There's just not enough time to do much with this.

We'll see new phones and tablets around Feb-March.

AustinChief
10-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I just don't see how. HTC came out with a very modest "wait and see" statement. Samsung just released their signature Galaxy II. And even Motorola just announced there newest product, running 2.3 but promising an upgrade in...2012. There's just not enough time to do much with this.

We'll see new phones and tablets around Feb-March.

I'm thinking you'll see 2 or 3 tablets (one being the Xoom) and 2 phones (besides the Nexus) with 4.0 by Jan 1. I might be willing to split the difference and agree that they may not hit until mid-late January but by March 15 I fully expect a total of close to 10 devices (mix of old and new) will have 4.0. Who knows though. Summer 2012 is going to be interesting regardless... with the next improvement to Android and Windows 8 slated to hit tablets.

WoodDraw
10-20-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm thinking you'll see 2 or 3 tablets (one being the Xoom) and 2 phones (besides the Nexus) with 4.0 by Jan 1. I might be willing to split the difference and agree that they may not hit until mid-late January but by March 15 I fully expect a total of close to 10 devices (mix of old and new) will have 4.0. Who knows though. Summer 2012 is going to be interesting regardless... with the next improvement to Android and Windows 8 slated to hit tablets.

Hm, I wasn't really thinking about tablets. I agree you could see a ICS tablet quickly, most likely the new Xoom. A bit surprised that hasn't been announced yet actually. Possibly delayed until after this event?

DaFace
10-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Hm, I wasn't really thinking about tablets. I agree you could see a ICS tablet quickly, most likely the new Xoom. A bit surprised that hasn't been announced yet actually. Possibly delayed until after this event?

Pure guess, but I'd wonder if Google had some sort of agreement with Samsung that no other devices could be announced before the event. Not entirely sure how'd they'd enforce it I guess, but you'd think they wouldn't want anyone stealing Samsung's thunder.

WoodDraw
10-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Pure guess, but I'd wonder if Google had some sort of agreement with Samsung that no other devices could be announced before the event. Not entirely sure how'd they'd enforce it I guess, but you'd think they wouldn't want anyone stealing Samsung's thunder.

I assume they haven't released the source to anyone else yet. That's part of the reason I don't think any devices can make it until the holidays. The Xoom could be an exception, since it was a Google partner device. Whether the Xoom 2 will retain that, I don't know.

AustinChief
10-20-2011, 04:49 PM
I assume they haven't released the source to anyone else yet. That's part of the reason I don't think any devices can make it until the holidays. The Xoom could be an exception, since it was a Google partner device. Whether the Xoom 2 will retain that, I don't know.

Almost certain the source code has been released to OEMs... it just hasn't been released to devs yet.

I say this because ASUS just announced their new Transformer tablet which will probably have 4.0 on it. AND a badass quad core processor!

What what!
http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/news/2011-09/nvidia_tegra3_performance_coremark.png

Crush
10-20-2011, 06:46 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/asus-jonney-shih-unveils-transformer-2-at-asiad/

Pics of the new Transformer.