PDA

View Full Version : Football Joplin HS benefit game at Arrowhead Friday

DaFace
10-19-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm probably not the only one to get this, but figured I'd post it for the good cause.

Dear DaFace,

On May 22nd, 2011, a devastating EF5 tornado struck Joplin, Missouri. This tornado ranks as one of the deadliest and costliest tornadoes in American history as 163 people lost their lives and damages are estimated at nearly $3 billion. Those that survived now face the daunting task of rebuilding Joplin.

In order to aide the rebuilding effort, the Kansas City Chiefs will host the Joplin High School Eagles football team on Friday, October 21, as they take on the Raymore-Peculiar Panthers in the Boys of Fall Friday Night Faceoff at Arrowhead Stadium at 7:00pm. All net proceeds from this event will benefit the Joplin Schools Tornado Relief Fund.

Tickets for the game are on sale now and can be purchased at the Arrowhead Stadium Box Office, www.ticketmaster.com, or through Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000. Tickets and parking are $15 each.

All net proceeds including ticketing and parking will benefit the Joplin Schools Tornado Relief Fund, helping to remove the obstacles that stand in the way of teachers being able to teach and children being able to learn by providing them the basic educational materials and support they need. This includes, but is not limited to, things such as food, clothing, shelter, after-school care, school supplies, classroom materials and student transportation to and from school-related events.

Please join Raymore-Peculiar High School, Joplin High School, and the Chiefs for this very special night at Arrowhead as we help raise awareness and support the rebuilding of Joplin, Missouri.

Sincerely,
Kansas City Chiefs Football Club

luv
10-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Just received this email myself. Was looking to post it, but you beat me to it.

luv
10-19-2011, 02:38 PM
http://www.joplinschools.org/modules/groups/homepagefiles/cms/2035746/File/Press%20Releases/The%20Joplin%20Eagles%20Football%20Team%20is%20Headed%20to%20Arrowhead.pdf?sessionid=462af8f85852324 182cf775fa23a2222

The Joplin Eagles Football Team and Band Are Headed to Arrowhead

Arrowhead Stadium will host the Joplin vs. Ray-Pec football game and Joplin High School Marching Band on Friday, October 21, 2011. All net proceeds from the game will benefit the Joplin Schools Tornado Relief Fund.

The game will be the KSMO62 High School Game of the Week and will be broadcast around the state in conjunction with a telethon to support the school fund.

All attendees must have a ticket provided by Arrowhead Stadium. Adult tickets for the game, which has a 7 p.m. kickoff, are $15, with all net proceeds benefiting the Joplin Recovery Fund. Tickets for students (K-12) and children ages 3 to 5 are $5. Children age 2 and younger may attend free. No passes will be accepted.

Parking will be $15 (cash only).

Tickets may be purchased, at Joplin High School at 417-625-5242, at the front office at Ray-Pec High School from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on school days, at the Arrowhead Stadium Box Office, or through Ticketmaster at 800-745-3000 and ticketmaster.com. Day of game tickets will be available at the Arrowhead Stadium Box Office.

The parking lot will open at 4 p.m., and the gates will open at 5 p.m. Kick-off is at 7 p.m. The tickets are general admission in the lower level only. There will not be assigned seating.

For More information call the Joplin Schools Athletic office at 417-625-5242. Or e-mail the athletic director, Jeff Starkweather jstark@joplin.k12.mo.us

Demonpenz
10-19-2011, 03:06 PM
great now the field will look like shit. just donate the Money Clark

Stewie
10-19-2011, 03:10 PM
I thought they moved to the SEC.

luv
10-25-2011, 08:52 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/21/3222073/ray-pec-beats-joplin-at-arrowhead.html

Ray-Pec beats Joplin at Arrowhead Stadium

By RUSTIN DODD
The Kansas City Star
By RUSTIN DODD The Kansas City Star
Updated: 2011-10-22T05:42:18Z
DAVID EULITT

Five minutes before kickoff Friday night, the captains from Joplin and Raymore-Peculiar had surrounded the NFL quarterback near the 50-yard line at Arrowhead Stadium.

The high school boys looked up at Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel, the man who usually plays on this field, and the next few seconds were filled with some words of support and a couple photos.

“He told us no high school team in the nation has been what we’ve been through,” said Joplin senior Dayton Whitehead.

All year long, the Joplin Eagles’ season has overflowed with these moments. The team that has represented a town torn apart by a devastating tornado has spent the fall providing three-hour doses of inspiration every Friday night.

On Friday, the second week of district play, there was more of the same.

And by the time Ray-Pec finished off its 42-27 victory in a wild, back-and-forth affair, the night had been stamped with a few more moments.

“This was something amazing,” Whitehead said. “… Probably something that’s never going to happen again.”

The Joplin band spelled out “HOPE” during the national anthem. In the front row, a collection of high school students wore “JOPLIN EAGLES” on chests painted blue and red. And Cassel and rookie receiver Jon Baldwin met with both teams in their locker rooms before the game.

For some, perhaps, the outcome may have been secondary. Ray-Pec entered at 2-6; Joplin was 3-5. This was about the event, a night to enjoy high school football in one of the game’s modern coliseums. And, hey, the folks from “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” were in the house.

“I really don’t remember an atmosphere quite like it,” Ray-Pec coach Tom Kruse said.

But for the kids on the sideline, this was still a night for football.

And just two plays into the game, Joplin junior quarterback Gabe Sachetta fooled the Ray-Pec defense on a misdirection play and sprinted 79 yards for a touchdown.

Ray-Pec responded with a game-tying score on a 15-yard pass from quarterback Spencer Vogelsmeier to Xavier Amador.

And then the Panthers took control by opening the playbook midway through the second quarter on a hook-and-ladder that turned into a 71-yard touchdown.

But Joplin was playing under the lights, and Sachetta and his top target, Whitehead, put on a performance worthy of the Arrowhead stage.

After connecting on a touchdown and two-point conversion that tied the score 20-20 at halftime, Sachetta found Whitehead on a 17-yard fade route that gave Joplin a 27-26 lead late in the third quarter.

The lead didn’t last. Vogelsmeier ran for one more touchdown and threw for another, and Ray-Pec had its first district victory.

“They hung around,” Kruse said. “They didn’t waver. But I really think our running game was the key.”

For the Joplin Eagles, who’ll play Rockhurst next week at home, there’s one more game.

“We appreciated the opportunity,” Joplin coach Chris Shields said. “I just wish we could get a win.”

luv
10-25-2011, 09:03 AM
I'm trying to find if there's an article anywhere that says how much was raised from the event.