PDA

View Full Version : Computers Wireless Question

crispystl420
10-19-2011, 07:29 PM
My laptop pulls a 21 mbps download speed when its hardwired, but the wireless only pulls a little over 1mbps and that's right next to the router I mean like a ft away. I know wired is faster but is there any reason it should be literally 20 times faster?

AustinChief
10-19-2011, 08:14 PM
My laptop pulls a 21 mbps download speed when its hardwired, but the wireless only pulls a little over 1mbps and that's right next to the router I mean like a ft away. I know wired is faster but is there any reason it should be literally 20 times faster?

More info please. I assume it is built in wireless not an external USB dongle or some such. Do you know what standard it is? B? G? N? Honestly, you should be pulling in the 10 Mbit/s range regardless.

Aspengc8
10-20-2011, 01:56 PM
More info please. I assume it is built in wireless not an external USB dongle or some such. Do you know what standard it is? B? G? N? Honestly, you should be pulling in the 10 Mbit/s range regardless.

I agree, OP should be getting around 10Mb/s. From what I remember all of the 802.11 flavors are still half duplex because of CSMA/CA. It's been a while since I worked on that stuff, but that was the main reason why I hated the damn wireless adapter for my Xbox.

crispystl420
10-20-2011, 06:21 PM

Not sure what standard it is. How do I check? It's built in wireless.