PDA

View Full Version : Half-way Point Mock

Saccopoo
10-31-2011, 01:31 PM
With the Chiefs looking like they will finish the season with a 6-10 to 10-6 type record, they will potentially be drafting in the #12 to #20 spot in the upcoming draft - which is talent heavy at the quarterback, offensive tackle and middle linebacker positions.

The Chiefs biggest needs right now are:

1. Quarterback: Matt Cassel continues to post sub-par numbers on a weekly basis.
2. Offensive Tackle: Albert is mediocre, Richardson is horrible and Gaither will never fully recover from his back injury.
3. Center: Wiegmann is fantastic, but he will most likely retire after this season. Hudson is listed as C, but he replaces Lilja at G next season.
4. Running Back: Jones has reached retirement age and we are in a two back set age.
5. Safety: Lewis and Berry are solid, but depth is needed.

Here is how the draft plays out for the Chiefs in 2012:

1. Luke Kuechly, MLB; Boston College
- This is a situation where the top players of need are off the board for the Chiefs and they go with the BPA. Kuechly, a junior, is a tackling machine, leading the NCAA's in 2010 and is on pace to do it again in 2011. (29 games in a row with double digit tackles.) He has off the charts level football instincts and very good athleticism. Pioli has shown he wants "football players" and Kuechly defines that.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1008/cfb.preview.all-acc.team/images/luke-kuechly.jpg

2. Matt Reynolds, OT; BYU
- Reynolds, a former high school Parade All-American and Gatorade State POY, is a two-time first team All-conference selection. Has started at left tackle for four straight years for the Cougars and would be a natural at either tackle spot in Haley's zone block scheme for the Chiefs due to his size (6'6", 325 lbs) and athleticism. He plays extremely nasty and looks to put his guy on the ground every play. Equally adept at pass and run blocking.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/538/991/matt-reynolds_BYU_at_Air_Forc_display_image.jpg?1291249816

3. Mark Barron, S; Alabama
- Barron is a big safety playing in a 3-4 defense for the Tide. An excellent run stopper that plays sound all-around defense.

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/barron-at-aug-12-practice-almondjpg-afa3aad2c6f363ff_large.jpg

4. Vick Ballard, RB; Mississippi State
- Ballard is a physical, downhill runner that isn't afraid of putting his head into a pile. He's the only option for the Bulldogs on offense, so he's getting stoned now after a really good start to the 2011 season.

http://www.docsports.com/images/lib/large/vick-ballard.jpg

5. Grant Garner, C; Oklahoma State
- Garner is one of the more underrated centers in the nation, but is fundamentally sound and has been an excellent pass protector against strong competition.

http://media.scout.com/media/image/97/978214.jpg

6. Kellen Moore, QB; Boise State
- If the NFL teams picked players on wins and success and football instincts, this guy would be a first rounder. Moore has been one of the most successful college quarterbacks ever. Case in point, he lost two of his wide receivers to the NFL Draft in Titus Young and Austin Pettis and he has the Broncos back in a national title hunt. He's amazingly accurate and has a natural feel for the game that cannot be taught. However, he's only 5'11" and 185 lbs., so he drops dramatically on draft day. One of those guys that has all the tools but size and all he does is win.

http://tommeltonscouting.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/kellen-moore.jpg

7. Phil Lutzenkirchen, TE; Auburn
- A big, solid, physical tight end that is an excellent run blocker and has been a reliable red zone threat. Pope continues to look lost on the field, running weird routes and missing blocking assignments.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/198/094/107161846_display_image.jpg?1313538968

jd1020
10-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Let me break this down...

Pick 12-20 projection.

"Talent Heavy" at the QB position in that range.

#1 Need is QB.

#1 pick? ILB.

Yep... sounds like a Saccoshit draft.

Saccopoo
10-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Let me break this down...

Pick 12-20 projection.

"Talent Heavy" at the QB position in that range.

#1 Need is QB.

#1 pick? ILB.

Yep... sounds like a Saccoshit draft.

Sorry Fucksicle, but as much as I like Nick Foles and as much as everyone is slobbering on Robert Griffin's stick around here, I don't think either one is better than Kuechly in that range. At the top of the second round, sure. Not in the teens in the first.

Unless you miraculously thought that Jones or Barkley was going to fall out of the top twelve in the 2012 draft and would be available for the Chiefs at #15 or so...

jd1020
10-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Sorry ****sicle, but as much as I like Nick Foles and as much as everyone is slobbering on Robert Griffin's stick around here, I don't think either one is better than Kuechly in that range. At the top of the second round, sure. Not in the teens in the first.

Unless you miraculously thought that Jones or Barkley was going to fall out of the top twelve in the 2012 draft and would be available for the Chiefs at #15 or so...

Then let me point 2 of your other "needs"

C
OT

Pretty sure there will be players at those positions.

But, by all means, lets go draft a ILB. A position you yourself don't acknowledge as a need.

I'm sure a 5th round C brings as much to the table as a Brewster/Konz for us to pass on them so we can take a fucking ILB.

Saccopoo
10-31-2011, 02:20 PM

C
OT

But, by all means, lets go draft a ILB. A position you yourself don't acknowledge as a need.

I'm sure a 5th round C brings as much to the table as a Brewster/Konz for us to pass on them so we can take a ****ing ILB.

Kalil, Martin and Reiff will all be gone by the time the Chiefs pick. Guaranteed.

Konz is a junior and most likely won't declare as the position itself doesn't often go in the first round, unless you are an Alex Mack level type of player - and neither he nor Brewster are. Most people actually have Brewster as a late second, early third rounder. He's good, but he's not first round good. Reaching for need isn't what the Chiefs need to do at this point.

But kudos to you for your display of reading skills, or lack thereof if you are sarcastically challenged. As I said, the selection of Kuechly is a BPA type pick as the top three QB's and OT's will most likely be off the board by the time the Chiefs pick. That's why I've got them picking Reynolds in the second, as he's the best of the next bunch of offensive tackles IMO.

Savvy?

jd1020
10-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Who the hell is most people?

Everything on Brewster I see is late first to early second.

And Reiff is ranked as a top 20 pick so I'm not sure how you can guarantee he is gone by the time the Chiefs pick.

Pestilence
10-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Kellen Moore? Fuck that shit.

aturnis
11-01-2011, 02:51 AM
I'm an Iowa fan and you won't see me ringing Reiff's bell. At RT, sure, LT? I'll stick with Albert.

Reaper16
11-01-2011, 07:06 PM
You really think Barron will be there in the 3rd?

O.city
11-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Sac, I think you're jumping the gun alittle with the Albert talk. The dude has played great this season.

Chiefnj2
11-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Kuechly looks slow.

Saccopoo
11-03-2011, 02:19 PM
You really think Barron will be there in the 3rd?

I don't know...he's been solid the last couple of weeks and has been the leading tackler for a really good defense.

He's more of a run defender at this point though, so he'll have to show people that he's got solid coverage skills to be a first day pick.

Objectively, I'd have him anywhere from the mid-second round to mid-third at this point and probably moving up based on production so far this season. I saw the other thread where the one guy had him in the top ten of draft prospects, and that's way too high. He's nowhere near a Berry type level, and that's what you have to have to put a safety that high.

However, depending upon the underclassman who declare (or don't declare), he might even end up first round material as he's prototype in terms of size and athleticism.

Saccopoo
11-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Kuechly looks slow.

So was Lauranaitis and Spikes...and I think he'll time faster than either of those two.

Kuechly is as instinctive a player as you will ever see and plays the run amazingly well.

That being said, I really like Belcher and think that he's progressing every week.

Personally, if the top three quarterbacks and top three offensive tackles are gone, which I think they will be if the Chiefs are picking from #15 and on, I'd like to see them trade down to the late 20's and pick a guy like Brewster - even though I think that's a big reach for him.

I've got them going with Kuechly here as a BPA and that he fits the mold of what Pioli seems to like in a player.

Saccopoo
11-03-2011, 02:48 PM

C
OT

I'm sure a 5th round C brings as much to the table as a Brewster/Konz for us to pass on them so we can take a ****ing ILB.

I don't see much between Garner and guys like Brewster/Konz in terms of talent or production. Garner is a major contributor for the Cowboys, who are in the top 5 right now. He's pretty skilled in both pass and run blocking. It's a relatively light center class, and that's why Brewster is even being mentioned as second round material. I don't think he's near as good a center as a guy like Matt Tennant (Brewster and Tennant are near identical in terms of size), who went in the fifth round in the 2010 draft (though that was a really good center draft - and we failed to select one).

spanky 52
11-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Sac, what's your opinion of David DeCastro of Stanford. He plays right guard for the Cardinal and does it very well. Could he play right tackle? I know this place would go nuts if the Chief's took an OG in the first round but this guy looks like he will start from day one. Lilja isn't getting any younger. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Saccopoo
11-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Sac, what's your opinion of David DeCastro of Stanford. He plays right guard for the Cardinal and does it very well. Could he play right tackle? I know this place would go nuts if the Chief's took an OG in the first round but this guy looks like he will start from day one. Lilja isn't getting any younger. Would appreciate your thoughts.

The Chiefs took a guard in 2008 and have played him at tackle (left tackle at that!) and nobody pitched too much of a bitch. (Though they were all still giddy about getting Dorsey in that draft - when we were running a 4-3, which was optimally suited for Dorsey's skill set. Glenn hasn't transitioned to the 3-4 as well as a guy like Tamba Hali. He flashes, especially on stunts, but still struggles to hold and push in a basic three tech down lineman assignment.)

The problem with evaluating Stanford offensive linemen is that Luck is that good. He's elevating their play. Add to that that Jon Martin is a legit top ten talent at the tackle position. Most college quarterbacks would have boosted stats with a guy that good at left tackle.

My take is that DeCastro is benefitting from two elite level players on that offense which helps him tremendously.

Based on the Stanford games I've seen, I don't think he's of the same level of guard as current rookie Chief Rod Hudson (who was utterly dominant as a college interior lineman). It would be a redundant downgrade to draft DeCastro when we just got Hudson in the 2011 draft.

That being said, he'd be a tremendous upgrade over our current right tackle. However, guys like Matt Reynolds and Mike Adams should be there with the Chiefs second round selection and they have a lot of experience blocking on the edge. (e.g. - It's taken Albert four years to finally "get it" at the tackle position and the Chiefs will need a guy that can come in a start at ROT and do it well, not have to learn the tackle position for another three years or so.)

Direckshun
11-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Sac:

Watched any Hudson during the preseason games?

I thought Rodney Hudson looked dreadful. I fear he might bust.

O.city
11-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Sac:

Hasn't even played a down in the NFL yet and you are claiming bust? Jeez. The guy didn't have any preseason with the team also. IMO all the rookies this year should be given a longer leash.

And Sac, Dorsey was one of the top dlineman in the league last year against the run. He doesn't rush the passer very well but that wasn't his MO and won't be.

aturnis
11-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Hasn't even played a down in the NFL yet and you are claiming bust? Jeez. The guy didn't have any preseason with the team also. IMO all the rookies this year should be given a longer leash.

And Sac, Dorsey was one of the top dlineman in the league last year against the run. He doesn't rush the passer very well but that wasn't his MO and won't be.

Seems to me, that getting after the QB was exactly what his MO was coming out of college.

Chiefnj2
11-04-2011, 07:48 PM
So was Lauranaitis and Spikes...and I think he'll time faster than either of those two.

Kuechly is as instinctive a player as you will ever see and plays the run amazingly well.

That being said, I really like Belcher and think that he's progressing every week.

Personally, if the top three quarterbacks and top three offensive tackles are gone, which I think they will be if the Chiefs are picking from #15 and on, I'd like to see them trade down to the late 20's and pick a guy like Brewster - even though I think that's a big reach for him.

I've got them going with Kuechly here as a BPA and that he fits the mold of what Pioli seems to like in a player.

Lauranaitis played much faster in college. I don't want a two down player in the first round.

O.city
11-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Seems to me, that getting after the QB was exactly what his MO was coming out of college.

DId you ever watch LSU? He didn't rush the passer.

aturnis
11-04-2011, 08:54 PM
DId you ever watch LSU? He didn't rush the passer.

Dude penetrated the oline in college, 13 sacks, 27 TFL and god knows how many QB pressures. From the DT position mind you. This is something that he hasn't been doing in the NFL.

O.city
11-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Dude penetrated the oline in college, 13 sacks, 27 TFL and god knows how many QB pressures. From the DT position mind you. This is something that he hasn't been doing in the NFL.

That's also in 4 years. He was known as an athletic big guy who was big and strong and athletic and could shoot the gap and make plays in the backfield.

Saccopoo
11-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Sac:

No chance in hell.

First off, the preseason is just that. And it was short. Rookies are going to take a while to get the playbook regardless, and without a full preseason to do it...

I put no stock in any rookies performance this preseason, good or bad.

Hudson was as good a lineman as anyone during his time at FSU and one of the best college guards since Will Shields.

He'll be just fine and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's starting at center or guard next season. (In fact, I expect it.)

Saccopoo
11-06-2011, 09:55 AM

I understand, but you've got to have more production from him than what you are getting, especially on a team without a proven, consistent pass rusher other than Hali. (And Glenn was able to get to the passer out of a 4-3 in college, so I still believe that it's a positional thing where he just doesn't have the skill set/size to effectively do it from a three tech in a 34.)

Jackson is finally starting to show up, which will help cover Glenn's deficiencies a bit.

Crennel is just going to have to start using blitz packages a bit more (Arenas) until Houston starts providing more production in the pass rush.

O.city
11-06-2011, 07:57 PM
At this point it doesnm't really matter what we draft until we get a qb. I really wouldn't be upset if we went Ditka to get either of the guys at the top of the draft. The NFL is a qb driven throw the ball league. Until you get someone who can do that it doesn't matter what we have where. Hell i'd inquire the Pats about Mallett for a 2nd and a 3rd in the next year. Anything.

jd1020
11-07-2011, 09:04 AM
At this point it doesnm't really matter what we draft until we get a qb. I really wouldn't be upset if we went Ditka to get either of the guys at the top of the draft. The NFL is a qb driven throw the ball league. Until you get someone who can do that it doesn't matter what we have where. Hell i'd inquire the Pats about Mallett for a 2nd and a 3rd in the next year. Anything.

Really? Gonna give the Pats a 2nd and 3rd for a 3rd round pick...

I'm so glad the FO doesn't involve you.

O.city
11-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Really? Gonna give the Pats a 2nd and 3rd for a 3rd round pick...

I'm so glad the FO doesn't involve you.

Well they drafted him with a third. And he looked pretty impressive in the preseason, he got to sit behind Brady for a year. I wouln't want to give up both of the picks but you probably would have too.

We aren't going to be in a position to draft one of the top guys this year. Why not get Mallett? It's basically like drafting a qb that got to sit behind one of the greatest for a year.

jd1020
11-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Well they drafted him with a third. And he looked pretty impressive in the preseason, he got to sit behind Brady for a year. I wouln't want to give up both of the picks but you probably would have too.

We aren't going to be in a position to draft one of the top guys this year. Why not get Mallett? It's basically like drafting a qb that got to sit behind one of the greatest for a year.

Why on earth would the Chiefs trade a 2nd and a 3rd for a 3rd round QB who looked good against backups in 1 preseason game. Rather than pick their own QB in the 2nd or 3rd?

Just stupid.

O.city
11-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Why on earth would the Chiefs trade a 2nd and a 3rd for a 3rd round QB who looked good against backups in 1 preseason game. Rather than pick their own QB in the 2nd or 3rd?

Just stupid.

Who are we gonna pick up in the 2nd or 3rd that would be as talented as Mallett? Kellen Moore? come on.

jd1020
11-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Who are we gonna pick up in the 2nd or 3rd that would be as talented as Mallett? Kellen Moore? come on.

:facepalm:

O.city
11-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Well? who would we pick up?

jd1020
11-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Foles or Tannehill will be there in the 2nd.

Not sure why you brought up Moore.

milkman
11-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Not sure why anyone pays any attention to anything that Sacofdumbshit has to say about O-Line play.

He's a dipshit.

BryanBusby
11-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Not sure why anyone pays any attention to anything that Sacofdumbshit has to say about O-Line play.

He's a dipshit.

What makes you come to this conclusion?

1. Quarterback: Matt Cassel continues to post sub-par numbers on a weekly basis.
2. Offensive Tackle: Albert is mediocre, Richardson is horrible and Gaither will never fully recover from his back injury.
3. Center: Wiegmann is fantastic, but he will most likely retire after this season. Hudson is listed as C, but he replaces Lilja at G next season.
4. Running Back: Jones has reached retirement age and we are in a two back set age.
5. Safety: Lewis and Berry are solid, but depth is needed.
*drafts a ILB first and addresses top need with a frail midget*

oh

Saccopoo
11-15-2011, 11:53 PM

He's a dipshit.

Am I?

How's that working out for you after the Denver game you dumbshit?

Saccopoo
11-15-2011, 11:56 PM
What makes you come to this conclusion?

*drafts a ILB first and addresses top need with a frail midget*

oh

Okay phucknut, if the Chiefs draft #12, which they would do right now, who do you draft?

Seriously.

If you are going to criticize my picks, they pony up.

Chiefnj2
11-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Draft considerations might depend on what happens with Bowe and Carr. If they lose Carr they have to consider Claiborne. If Carr is retained, and OT like Reiff or LB Brown or Jenkins. I'd like RGIII to be in consideration, but I don't think Pioli/Haley know what to do at QB.

BryanBusby
11-17-2011, 04:20 AM
Okay phucknut, if the Chiefs draft #12, which they would do right now, who do you draft?

Seriously.

If you are going to criticize my picks, they pony up.
Pick up the phone and aggressively go after the future face of my franchise. Also, unless they actually start playing good football, they will be lucky to win another game and a 4-12 record would have them picking higher than #12.

spanky 52
11-17-2011, 06:10 AM
4 and 12 is a real possibility now. That probably gets us between 4 and 6. Luck and Barkley will be gone. Get ready for a RB, CB or OT.