PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports MLB will realign and add 2nd Wild Card in 2013

alnorth
11-17-2011, 11:31 AM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2011/11/mlb-wild-cards-2013-jim-crane-houston-astros-american-league/1

The Houston Astros have officially agreed to move from the NL Central to the AL West in 2013. Major League owners have also unanimously approved the addition of a 2nd Wild Card in that same year.

There will be no issue with the player's union because they approve of both changes. (The move of an NL team to the AL was forced by the player's union, because they insisted that the leagues finally be balanced at 15 teams each before they would agree to a new CBA. Houston was moved because the team is currently being sold and the owners told the new owner that the sale would not be approved if he did not agree to the move)

Left to be determined is whether the wild card round will be one game or a best of 3. The realignment will cause the schedules to become more balanced, but will also require interleague games to be played every day of the season.

milkman
11-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Can't wait for further playoff expansion and those Christmas Day World Series games in New York.

KCChiefsFan88
11-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Next move should be getting rid of the DH and making both the AL and NL the same.

milkman
11-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Next move should be getting rid of the DH and making both the AL and NL the same.

I agree with you, but if they did anything, they'd add the DH to the NL, because taking away the DH is taking money out of some player's pockets.

The union would never stand still for that.

jAZ
11-17-2011, 11:56 AM
I agree with you, but if they did anything, they'd add the DH to the NL, because taking away the DH is taking money out of some player's pockets.

Does the AL have a larger roster?

Frazod
11-17-2011, 11:57 AM
I'll miss Houston and the easy wins, but not their fucktarded stadium.

milkman
11-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Does the AL have a larger roster?

The DH is a starter on the AL roster, making more money than a backup position player that occassionally pinch hits and gives the starters a game off.

Mr. Laz
11-17-2011, 12:12 PM
The move of an NL team to the AL was forced by the player's union, because they insisted that the leagues finally be balanced at 15 teams each before they would agree to a new CBA.
fugging POS union controlling shit they have no business controlling.

wish the MLB could step-up and slap they shit out of them too but the government would get involved and give the union whatever they wanted.

jd1020
11-17-2011, 12:16 PM
I just wish MLB would look at their home field for all-star winner bullshit.

DeepSouth
11-17-2011, 12:19 PM
This is kind of confusing. Didn't they move Milwaukee from the AL to the NL when they did the realignment from two divisions to three.

Marcellus
11-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Can't wait for further playoff expansion and those Christmas Day World Series games in New York.

It will end up being a 1 game series. No way they go best of 3.

jd1020
11-17-2011, 12:21 PM
This is kind of confusing. Didn't they move Milwaukee from the AL to the NL when they did the realignment from two divisions to three.

The league added 2 new teams when that happened and the Brewers were asked if they wanted to, not forced. The Royals were asked first.

Rooster
11-17-2011, 12:22 PM
I assumed they would make the Brewers go back to the AL. It's hard to keep all this shit straight.

jd1020
11-17-2011, 12:26 PM
I assumed they would make the Brewers go back to the AL. It's hard to keep all this shit straight.

Seems logical that Houston would be asked.

Rooster
11-17-2011, 12:29 PM

It does but they were not the first team I thought of when they announced this move earlier in the week.

DeepSouth
11-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Could you elaborate as to why Houston is the logical choice? Just curious.....

jd1020
11-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Could you elaborate as to why Houston is the logical choice? Just curious.....

The sale of the team...

Their geographical positioning compared to the other teams in the NLC...

Discuss Thrower
11-17-2011, 12:49 PM
The sale of the team...

Their geographical positioning compared to the other teams in the NLC...

Ready made intra-state rivalry with Texas Rangers.

jd1020
11-17-2011, 12:51 PM

Gonna be awhile before thats a rivalry.

Gonna be a beat down for at least half a decade.

whoman69
11-17-2011, 12:53 PM

YES!!!!

whoman69
11-17-2011, 12:56 PM

Except that to have the changes a balanced schedule is being considered.

whoman69
11-17-2011, 12:57 PM
MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY

ChiefsCountry
11-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Screw getting rid of the DH. It makes American League games so much better to watch than NL.

JD10367
11-17-2011, 01:00 PM
I think all sports should just go little-league kiddie-soccer. Let all the teams in the playoffs, give every team a tiny trophy. What the hell, the NBA and NHL already let half the teams in the playoffs anyway...

Buck
11-17-2011, 01:21 PM
I hate the DH, and wish it was gone, but the Player's Union will never go for it.

More likely is that the NL will add the DH, I hope it doesn't happen, but it might make for a more level playing field.

Caseyguyrr
11-17-2011, 01:22 PM

dont you mean getting rid of the NL?

sedated
11-17-2011, 01:24 PM
It will end up being a 1 game series. No way they go best of 3.

That makes perfect sense Ė have the longest regular season in the history of sports, and then decide the playoff winner with 1 game.

How about they move all playoff series to 7 games, and drop back to the 142 game schedule? That would make the most sense and fall in line with MLBís philosophy, but we canít take profits away from the owners for those 20 extra (meaningless) games.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Screw getting rid of the DH. It makes American League games so much better to watch than NL.

Agreed. I used to parrot the same line that a lot of fans use that the DH was some kind of abomination that should be abolished. No longer, I'm gradually changed into an AL baseball fan, and I believe we should either keep things as they are, or force the NL to use a DH.

We should not have a DH in high school, or possibly college ball. At those low amateur levels the pitcher can still hit decently compared to the other players. In the major leagues, the pitcher can't hit worth a damn.

It is not fun to watch a gimp futilely try and fail to hit while we all mock his ineptitude. Almost all pitchers can't hit a lick, and the double-switch is not some ultra-interesting strategic twist that keeps me on the edge of my seat.

Leave the pitcher in the dugout, bring out the DH, and let 'er rip. If the NL fans who have been brainwashed from birth into believing that its fun to watch gimps try to hit don't like the DH, fine, let them have their brand of baseball.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 01:27 PM
I think all sports should just go little-league kiddie-soccer. Let all the teams in the playoffs, give every team a tiny trophy. What the hell, the NBA and NHL already let half the teams in the playoffs anyway...

I strongly disagree with this sentiment. Having only 2 or 4 teams in the post-season might make some sense when you have 15 teams, but not 30. Baseball has, BY FAR, the fewest percentage of teams making the post-season, and they still will with this change.

Discuss Thrower
11-17-2011, 01:29 PM
So both wild cards will be a one game playoff.. and then resume playoff format as it is now?

HemiEd
11-17-2011, 01:30 PM

Agreed. One of the Charley Finley good ideas.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Agreed. I used to parrot the same line that a lot of fans use that the DH was some kind of abomination that should be abolished. No longer, I'm gradually changed into an AL baseball fan, and I believe we should either keep things as they are, or force the NL to use a DH.

We should not have a DH in high school, or possibly college ball. At those low amateur levels the pitcher can still hit decently compared to the other players. In the major leagues, the pitcher can't hit worth a damn.

It is not fun to watch a gimp futilely try and fail to hit while we all mock his ineptitude. Almost all pitchers can't hit a lick, and the double-switch is not some ultra-interesting strategic twist that keeps me on the edge of my seat.

Leave the pitcher in the dugout, bring out the DH, and let 'er rip. If the NL fans who have been brainwashed from birth into believing that its fun to watch gimps try to hit don't like the DH, fine, let them have their brand of baseball.

:clap:

oldandslow
11-17-2011, 01:31 PM
So both wild cards will be a one game playoff.. and then resume playoff format as it is now?

Yep...it gives the division winners a huge advantage (they don't burn their best pitcher) so I like it.

Frazod
11-17-2011, 01:31 PM
I just wish MLB would look at their home field for all-star winner bullshit.

Works for me. :D

BigMeatballDave
11-17-2011, 01:32 PM
MLB needs to reduce its regular season to 150.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 01:32 PM
That makes perfect sense Ė have the longest regular season in the history of sports, and then decide the playoff winner with 1 game.

How about they move all playoff series to 7 games, and drop back to the 142 game schedule? That would make the most sense and fall in line with MLBís philosophy, but we canít take profits away from the owners for those 20 extra (meaningless) games.

I don't feel strongly either way, but I do believe they will go to 1 game for TV ratings, and MLB needs to maximize their revenue. (revenue from national TV games are shared equally, so anything that drives that contract up is good for KC)

A 1-game knockout round also has a couple other benefits. First, for the people who are annoyed with 5 playoff spots per league for some reason, this makes winning your division a whole lot more important. Currently, the wild card isn't really that much worse than winning your division, and you could come back in a 3-game series. Don't want to see your year get cut short in a knockout round? Fine, then win your division. Second, for those who don't like the 2nd wild card, having 1 game might be better because you are giving the better wild card team the home field advantage.

I strongly disagree with reducing the season, forget the owners, I like having 162 games available. Not because I'm going to all 162 games, but it gives me a bigger choice and a better chance of a game landing on a day I'm available to go. Shortening the season will also force us to close the record book and start over, no thanks.

Dr. Gigglepants
11-17-2011, 01:38 PM

Agree on all counts. NL teams basically get to take an entire inning off with 3 to 4 guaranteed outs per game.
Posted via Mobile Device

alnorth
11-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Dear MLB,

Now that you have 15 teams per league, scheduling should become a lot easier. Please reduce the number of division games, we play too many of them. Reserve 3 games for different interleague rivals if you must, but please make every team in each division play the exact same schedule in the other 159 games. Put an end to those situations where team X had to play the Yankees and Red Sox 4 or 5 more times than team Y even though they were both in the same division.

Sincerely, baseball fan who hates unbalanced schedules and is sick of watching the Twins, Tigers, White Sox, and Indians all the damned time.

BigMeatballDave
11-17-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't feel strongly either way, but I do believe they will go to 1 game for TV ratings, and MLB needs to maximize their revenue. (revenue from national TV games are shared equally, so anything that drives that contract up is good for KC)

A 1-game knockout round also has a couple other benefits. First, for the people who are annoyed with 5 playoff spots per league for some reason, this makes winning your division a whole lot more important. Currently, the wild card isn't really that much worse than winning your division, and you could come back in a 3-game series. Don't want to see your year get cut short in a knockout round? Fine, then win your division. Second, for those who don't like the 2nd wild card, having 1 game might be better because you are giving the better wild card team the home field advantage.

I strongly disagree with reducing the season, forget the owners, I like having 162 games available. Not because I'm going to all 162 games, but it gives me a bigger choice and a better chance of a game landing on a day I'm available to go. Shortening the season will also force us to close the record book and start over, no thanks.The season is too long. They should not be playing into late October. 12 game reduction is not a big deal.

Valiant
11-17-2011, 01:41 PM
What about the rules on paying draft picks and such.

Personally I would like to see a scaled back version of interleague. But that looks difficult now.
50-55% of the games should be division rivals.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 01:44 PM
The season is too long. They should not be playing into late October. 12 game reduction is not a big deal.

It is a HUGE deal, and revenues would take a hit.

Start the season earlier, schedule more 4-game series, schedule fewer 2-game series bookended by off days, schedule double-headers, whatever.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 01:51 PM
What about the rules on paying draft picks and such.

Personally I would like to see a scaled back version of interleague. But that looks difficult now.
50-55% of the games should be division rivals.

50-55% would be insane, the NFL is only at 37.5%. We currently play division opponents about 45-46% of the time. (18 or 19 games per opponent, except in the NL Central). I'd dial that back to 15 or 16, which would still be about 38-39% division. Increase the number of league games outside the division and interleague games.

BigMeatballDave
11-17-2011, 01:53 PM

Start the season earlier, schedule more 4-game series, schedule fewer 2-game series bookended by off days, schedule double-headers, whatever.

Starting earlier is worse than playing in late October. Still cold in March in a lot of places.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 01:54 PM
On a down note, I now have to see the Royals play in one of the dumbest parks in all of baseball a few times per year starting in 2013. Minute Maid Park is the field with the hill in center field and a freaking flag pole sitting in the field of play. Hopefully our outfielders don't kill themselves on that thing.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Starting earlier is worse than playing in late October. Still cold in March in a lot of places.

We're only talking about needing to find 2 extra days in the schedule. (game, then travel) They can figure it out.

Incidentally, that is also another reason why a 3-game series would be less likely aside from ratings. It wouldn't be fair to give the 2nd wild card the elimination game, and you'd need a travel day between each game if it was a 1-1-1 home field split.

Backwards Masking
11-17-2011, 02:02 PM
I'll miss Houston and the easy wins, but not their ****tarded stadium.

I think that stadiums cool as sh*t. More stadiums should have goofy outfields with hills. if i were a muilti billionaire and bought a team, i'd have the goofiest outfield in the league. i'd have hills, obstacles, parts were it was 40-50 feet closer than others, zigzags. itd be badass, and my team would get a lot more press/attention for it.

Buck
11-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Okay, so can we get rid of the "Natural Rivalries" between the AL and NL, and have each NL and AL team play one 3 game series?

That's 45 games right there, leaving 117 among their own league. That's 58.5 home/away games per team. 58.5 / 14 = about 4. That means You could have pretty much one home and one away series of 4 games per each team in your own league, and occasionally you'd have one 3 game series and one 2 game series against the same team (at home or away) in the season.

That's about as balanced as it gets.

mnchiefsguy
11-17-2011, 02:07 PM
On a down note, I now have to see the Royals play in one of the dumbest parks in all of baseball a few times per year starting in 2013. Minute Maid Park is the field with the hill in center field and a freaking flag pole sitting in the field of play. Hopefully our outfielders don't kill themselves on that thing.

At least the Astros are going to the AL West, so it will only be 3-4 games a year in Houston for the Royals.

Frazod
11-17-2011, 02:20 PM
I think that stadiums cool as sh*t. More stadiums should have goofy outfields with hills. if i were a muilti billionaire and bought a team, i'd have the goofiest outfield in the league. i'd have hills, obstacles, parts were it was 40-50 feet closer than others, zigzags. itd be badass, and my team would get a lot more press/attention for it.

This is baseball, not miniature golf. That shit is ridiculous. Unfortunately it'll probably take some star player suffering a career threatening injury for MLB to step on their cranks over it.

whoman69
11-17-2011, 02:58 PM

I think he's referring to the fact that a little leaguer can hit it out in left.

Valiant
11-17-2011, 03:02 PM
50-55% would be insane, the NFL is only at 37.5%. We currently play division opponents about 45-46% of the time. (18 or 19 games per opponent, except in the NL Central). I'd dial that back to 15 or 16, which would still be about 38-39% division. Increase the number of league games outside the division and interleague games.

I disagree.. need to increase it. That way these big money teams can beat the shit out of each other more. Would also decrease certain divisions alwas getting the wild cards by a bit.

whoman69
11-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Agreed. One of the Charley Finley good ideas.

He didn't have many, and this one wasn't good either. It takes most of the strategy away from the game. Just send the next guy up to rip a hit. The only game that needs a DH is the All-Star game. Pitching, hitting and fielding are all part of the game. The AL has inserted pitchers that don't need to hit and hitters that don't need to field. Then they want to put Harold Baines and Edgar Martinez in the HOF for playing half a game.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 03:08 PM
I disagree.. need to increase it. That way these big money teams can beat the shit out of each other more. Would also decrease certain divisions alwas getting the wild cards by a bit.

I don't give a rat's ass if it helps or hurts the Royals, it would get unbelievably old to see the same 4 damned teams even more than we see them now. A chance to see a novel opponent makes me more likely to come to the ballpark. If the 3 best teams in the AL are in the East, then so be it

alnorth
11-17-2011, 03:09 PM
He didn't have many, and this one wasn't good either. It takes most of the strategy away from the game. Just send the next guy up to rip a hit. The only game that needs a DH is the All-Star game. Pitching, hitting and fielding are all part of the game. The AL has inserted pitchers that don't need to hit and hitters that don't need to field. Then they want to put Harold Baines and Edgar Martinez in the HOF for playing half a game.

Well, you go right ahead and have fun watching gimps try and fail to hit. The double-switch is not interesting, at all.

ChiefsCountry
11-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Well, you go right ahead and have fun watching gimps try and fail to hit. The double-switch is not interesting, at all.

:thumb:

Swanman
11-17-2011, 03:17 PM
I would like if they would do away with divisions in the AL and NL and just have the top 4 or 5 teams make the playoffs in each league and obviously a balanced schedule.

Archie F. Swin
11-17-2011, 03:23 PM
This is way cool for the Rangers. Just think, nearly half of their division games in recent years have been 9:05 first pitches (central time), all on the west coast. Come 2013, they'll have a division rival only 4 hours away (by bus). That makes Texas baseball a lot more interesting.

Chief Roundup
11-17-2011, 03:40 PM

Yeah I wish they would of put the Brewers back in the AL

Chief Roundup
11-17-2011, 04:00 PM

Yeah it was just a couple of years ago when they had to cancel and reschedule several games for a few times in the north to the end of the season.

Backwards Masking
11-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Yeah I wish they would of put the Brewers back in the AL

you'd think they would have done that, it makes sense for the astros to go instead though, they're more western and it makes Texas baseball inter$ting.

on a side note, i was a little disappointed the Seahawks left the conference back in the 02 NFL realignment. kinda enjoyed having the extra 3 pm game when the chiefs werent getting any prime timers (they were also good for easy wins).

Backwards Masking
11-17-2011, 04:06 PM
This is baseball, not miniature golf. That shit is ridiculous. Unfortunately it'll probably take some star player suffering a career threatening injury for MLB to step on their cranks over it.

:LOL:

You can't argue it doesn't make the game more interesting!

referring to someone elses post, i figured the close LF wall was part of the stadium complaint, i wasn't going to argue that one though. they need to push that sh*t back for sure.

chefsos
11-17-2011, 04:11 PM
I would like if they would do away with divisions in the AL and NL and just have the top 4 or 5 teams make the playoffs in each league and obviously a balanced schedule.I thought that was in their plans. Maybe it was scrapped. I was sort of morbidly looking forward to being a fan of the first team ever to finish 15th!

alnorth
11-17-2011, 04:27 PM
I thought that was in their plans. Maybe it was scrapped. I was sort of morbidly looking forward to being a fan of the first team ever to finish 15th!

That was a trial balloon which was swiftly popped. After the outrage of eliminating divisions died down, they started to look for which NL team would have to be moved to the AL.

tk13
11-17-2011, 04:42 PM
I think if they're going to do the balanced schedule going back to 2 divisions in each league actually makes some sense. I think having interleague all the time is going to be weird though... only because of the DH/no-DH thing.

Royal Fanatic
11-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Actually, it is interesting to true baseball fans who understand the nuances of the game and can appreciate the strategy behind it.

If you want to talk about gimps trying to hit, talk about the old fat guys who can't play the field but hang on as a DH because every now and then they can hit a fly ball over the fence. If you think that's exciting baseball, then you should watch slow-pitch softball.

The DH is a gimmick and an abomination. It's too bad that it will never go away.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Actually, it is interesting to true baseball fans who understand the nuances of the game and can appreciate the strategy behind it.

If you want to talk about gimps trying to hit, talk about the old fat guys who can't play the field but hang on as a DH because every now and then they can hit a fly ball over the fence. If you think that's exciting baseball, then you should watch slow-pitch softball.

The DH is a gimmick and an abomination. It's too bad that it will never go away.

Its such a gimmick, that every national and international form of baseball above high school uses the DH. Except for MLB's National League in the USA.

Its not like the nuance is above my head, you are down a run in the 7th inning, 2 outs, bases loaded, pitcher coming up but he was rolling along only at 75 pitches, bullpen sucks oh god, what do you do, essentially give up this rally, or risk a meaningless out from the pinch hitter followed by bad pitching, etc. Double-switching your pitcher back down so he won't bat, but you might be giving up a good hitter, lets hope the bench comes through, etc.

I get the nuance, but the nuance is dumb and not interesting.

If the pitcher is not a pathetic automatic out in the lower levels, thats one thing, but in the majors, it isn't fun to either watch him fail at hitting or watch one of your favorite pitchers/hitters get dismissed from the remainder of the game too early. Its not like this nuance was an integral part of the early days of baseball, because pitchers were expected to finish the game, and they demanded the right to throw 150 pitches or more rather than let some bum mess up "his game". This so-called "strategy" is relatively recent.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 06:32 PM
While I think Royal Fanatic makes a valid point I tend to agree more with alnorths arguement. It's long been known that hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports so I have no problem with someone being a specialist for it that may lack other baseball skills. I don't see that as being a hanger-on or a cheap way to have another bat on your team. Imo it's a worthy position and a hell of a lot more "interesting" to the common baseball fan than having to deal with the 99% of pitchers who can't find a bat with both hands and a flashlight coming up in a clutch situation and either killing a rally or being taken out and having to depend on someone cold off the bench... then being forced into relying on a bullpen that may not be as good as the guy who was pitching.

The people that really get me though are the people who complain about baseball being too slow or boring but think the DH is a dumb thing. The DH provides additional offense which means more hits and runs scored which makes the game more interesting for those kind of folks, while a pitcher batting does just the opposite... and pinch hitting or double switching takes more time and slows the game down in general... so you can't have it both ways imo.

As for nuance there is plenty of it in baseball without needing to shit-can the DH.

Give me a average DH with a chance to actually affect the game at the plate over a "good" hitting pitcher any day.

Dr. Gigglepants
11-17-2011, 06:49 PM
As for nuance there is plenty of it in baseball without needing to shit-can the DH.

Every single pitch/hit/defensive play is full of nuance and strategy, it's what makes baseball great. The loss of "strategy" if the NL adopted the DH wouldn't even be noticed.

whoman69
11-17-2011, 06:50 PM
The people who say a manager is not important must watch AL baseball. It doesn't take a genius to figure out when to take a pitcher out. Unless you're one of the unlucky teams that can't afford to put together a decent line-up, they don't need to build for speed. The steroids era has really ruined the fan with the video game attention span.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Every single pitch/hit/defensive play is full of nuance and strategy, it's what makes baseball great. The loss of "strategy" if the NL adopted the DH wouldn't even be noticed.

Agreed... except for the DH haters... who might decide it's not so bad when their DH hits a game winner instead of having pitching derp bunt a guy over just so the next guy can ground out to end the inning heh.

Dr. Gigglepants
11-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Agreed... except for the DH haters... who might decide it's not so bad when their DH hits a game winner instead of having pitching derp bunt a guy over just so the next guy can ground out to end the inning heh.

This conversation is making me think of all of baseball's problems.

1) No DH in NL
2) No salary cap
3) Unbalanced schedule
4) Weird home field advantage for the WS

Some good ideas have been tossed around in this thread. Like alnorth said, I am sick of going to the ballpark and seeing the White Sox or the Indians. I don't really get to plan out the games I go to, they're usually spur of the moment, so usually it's an AL Central team I've seen a million times.

I would be all for a balanced schedule, even getting rid of divisions and letting the top 5 teams in, play all NL teams once, have the NL adopt the DH, alternate WS home field advantage each year.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 07:04 PM
This conversation is making me think of all of baseball's problems.

1) No DH in NL
2) No salary cap
3) Unbalanced schedule
4) Weird home field advantage for the WS

Some good ideas have been tossed around in this thread. Like alnorth said, I am sick of going to the ballpark and seeing the White Sox or the Indians. I don't really get to plan out the games I go to, they're usually spur of the moment, so usually it's an AL Central team I've seen a million times.

I would be all for a balanced schedule, even getting rid of divisions and letting the top 5 teams in, play all NL teams once, have the NL adopt the DH, alternate WS home field advantage each year.

I like divisions myself. Every other major sport has them and it works for me. I do think the ASG having any bearing on home field in the WS is stupid as hell. It should simply go to the team in the WS who has the best record imo. If the records are tied go to tie breakers like the NFL does.

Dr. Gigglepants
11-17-2011, 07:15 PM
I like divisions myself. Every other major sport has them and it works for me. I do think the ASG having any bearing on home field in the WS is stupid as hell. It should simply go to the team in the WS who has the best record imo. If the records are tied go to tie breakers like the NFL does.

True about divisions, that doesn't matter much to me. But with a balanced schedule at least you could crown a true regular season champ and give them home field advantage in the WS.

The all star game thing is so dumb. It needs to alternate every year at the very least (since you can't really give it to the "best" team because not every team plays the same schedule).

I also think you could start the season a week earlier, schedule a couple more 4 game series, and add a couple Sunday double headers throughout the season. That way the WS is played in the 2nd week of October before it gets butt ass cold in most of the country. You could try to schedule those last week of March games in warm weather climate to avoid any bad weather.

I don't really have a problem with the length of the season, but playing the WS in the last week of October in potentially crappy weather sucks.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 07:18 PM
True about divisions, that doesn't matter much to me. But with a balanced schedule at least you could crown a true regular season champ and give them home field advantage in the WS.

The all star game thing is so dumb. It needs to alternate every year at the very least (since you can't really give it to the "best" team because not every team plays the same schedule).

I also think you could start the season a week earlier, schedule a couple more 4 game series, and add a couple Sunday double headers throughout the season. That way the WS is played in the 2nd week of October before it gets butt ass cold in most of the country. You could try to schedule those last week of March games in warm weather climate to avoid any bad weather.

I don't really have a problem with the length of the season, but playing the WS in the last week of October in potentially crappy weather sucks.

Nothing there I can argue with. Damn it.

Dr. Gigglepants
11-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Nothing there I can argue with. Damn it.

What other pitchers are we looking at besides this Sanchez guy? Is he going to be good for us (I know nothing about any players that aren't on our team)?

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 07:31 PM
What other pitchers are we looking at besides this Sanchez guy? Is he going to be good for us (I know nothing about any players that aren't on our team)?

Rumors about Roy Oswalt but there was a report earlier in the week that it was more doing their due diligence than really being interested. There are concerns with his back. There was also a report that they won't likely add another "big name" pitcher because they value their prospects more than what's available. There was a pitch from the Braves for Jair Jurrgens but they wanted too much. Might see another B or C level guy added and/or Bruce Chen re-signed.

If Hochevar's improvement wasn't smoke and mirrors and Duffy grows and Paulino wasn't a one year wonder we should be substantially better next year even with only Sanchez added. Got guys in the minors to compete as well.

Dr. Gigglepants
11-17-2011, 07:33 PM
If Hochevar's improvement wasn't smoke and mirrors and Duffy grows and Paulino wasn't a one year wonder we should be substantially better next year even with only Sanchez added. Got guys in the minors to compete as well.

Agree, I don't think our current staff is all that bad, if they can be their best. I don't mind bringing Chen back at all. Is Crow going to get a shot at starting you think?

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 07:33 PM
And yes Sanchez SHOULD be good for us. He has superior stuff but battled injury last year and had a high walk rate. Has the mentality though and lots of upside. I think SF gave up on him a little too quickly but they desperately needed offense. Pretty much everyone thinks the Royals won that trade.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Agree, I don't think our current staff is all that bad, if they can be their best. I don't mind bringing Chen back at all. Is Crow going to get a shot at starting you think?

A shot yes but I don't think there's a ton of pressure on him to do it which is good.

KC_Connection
11-17-2011, 07:34 PM
The only teams really negatively affected by an unbalanced schedule are the Rays, Jays, and Orioles. Basically, the teams that MLB doesn't give a shit about. They need their 18 Red Sox/Yankees games a season, so I don't see that changing any time soon.

They're also turning the playoffs into more of a March Madness-like random luckfest than it already is, but as a Jays fan, I can't complain about that. The extra wild card means they don't have to be better than NYY or BOS to make the playoffs or win the WS anymore.

KC_Connection
11-17-2011, 07:36 PM
You know that the Rays, Jays, and Orioles are not big money teams, right? They're just the ones screwed by the current system.

KC_Connection
11-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Neither is all the bunting the pitchers do. Or the intentional walks of #8 hitters to get to pitchers.

Dr. Gigglepants
11-17-2011, 07:40 PM
The only teams really negatively affected by an unbalanced schedule are the Rays, Jays, and Orioles. Basically, the teams that MLB doesn't give a shit about. They need their 18 Red Sox/Yankees games a season, so I don't see that changing any time soon.

They're also turning the playoffs into more of a March Madness-like random luckfest than it already is, but as a Jays fan, I can't complain about that. The extra wild card means they don't have to be better than NYY or BOS to make the playoffs or win the WS anymore.

Do they put gravy on all the food at baseball games in Toronto?

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Also Gigglepants, we've heard Chris Capuanos name bandied about... would fit into the B or C level guys.

BWillie
11-17-2011, 07:43 PM

I don't want to see pitchers hit. I want to see dingers and the ball flying out of the park.

KC_Connection
11-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Do they put gravy on all the food at baseball games in Toronto?
Probably. It's way too expensive to buy food there so I don't (it's also not nearly as good as the food at Kauffman).

The Jays are going back to their old colors/uniforms from the 80s/early 90s tomorrow, so that should be interesting. They're actually putting blue back in the color scheme.

Dr. Gigglepants
11-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Also Gigglepants, we've heard Chris Capuanos name bandied about... would fit into the B or C level guys.

Don't know who that is, but I heard the Jergans (didn't even attempt to look that one up) talk, but the Braves wanted too much. Then we got Sanchez and haven't heard anything since then. Seems like we might be about done. I like this team, if our pitching comes around we should make some noise starting this year.

Hopefully it's not a year too soon, which all I heard going into 2010 and this season was that we wouldn't be ready until 2013. I hope we aren't peaking at the wrong time and are in for a let down from crappy pitching.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Probably. It's way too expensive to buy food there so I don't (it's also not nearly as good as the food at Kauffman).

The Jays are going back to their old colors/uniforms from the 80s/early 90s tomorrow, so that should be interesting. They're actually putting blue back in the color scheme.

Cool. I generally like throwbacks... especially when they're not just used as throwbacks in this case. I'd love to see the Royals go back to the blue on blue road unis with the button up shirt from the Bo Jackson days.

I'd love to see Toronto get good agian and win that division rather than the usuals.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Don't know who that is, but I heard the Jergans (didn't even attempt to look that one up) talk, but the Braves wanted too much. Then we got Sanchez and haven't heard anything since then. Seems like we might be about done. I like this team, if our pitching comes around we should make some noise starting this year.

Hopefully it's not a year too soon, which all I heard going into 2010 and this season was that we wouldn't be ready until 2013. I hope we aren't peaking at the wrong time and are in for a let down from crappy pitching.

Capuano was on the Brewers staff this past year. Pitched for the Mets and Dbacks before that.

I wouldn't worry about peaking. 4 of our 5 starting infielders are going into their first full season as is our center fielder. Gordon and Frenchy are the old guys and both under 30. We aren't close to peaking yet. The pitching just needs to come along with the position players.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 07:50 PM
They need their 18 Red Sox/Yankees games a season, so I don't see that changing any time soon.

I wouldn't close the book on that yet. The player's union is also demanding a more balanced schedule (ie, less than 18-19 games per division opponent) and its not like the owners are automatically against that idea. It's not a done deal and they have another year to figure it out, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they swapped out a division series for another interleague series. Interleague inevitably has to be played more often anyway with 15 teams per league, and I doubt they will take it out of non-division league games.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Or the intentional walks of #8 hitters to get to pitchers.

I completely forgot about that. Wait, no I didn't... I repressed that memory. You forced me to relive the experience of watching early rallies die to the IBB, you bastard.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 07:57 PM
Figured I'd post this here, too. I keep hearing people snidely say (though maybe not here very much) that the 2nd wild card will just get 3 AL East teams in almost every year, but the people who say that don't look stuff up, they just remember that the East would have swept the wild card slots the last couple years, forgetting that it is rare to have 3 strong teams in the East.

The first wild card has absolutely helped the East, no doubt about it. The second wild card has been a lot more even.

Looking back from the start of the 3-division era (including the strike-shortened 1994 season), the wild cards would have gone to these divisions. (In cases where there was a tie for the 2nd wild card, I gave half credit to each division)

AL Wild Card #1:

East - 13, 72%
Central - 2, 11%
West - 3, 17%

AL Wild Card #2:

East - 6.5, 36%
Central - 4.5, 25%
West - 7, 39%

If someone wants to gripe about a division in the AL being helped by the 2nd wild card, they shouldn't forget about the West.

KC_Connection
11-17-2011, 07:58 PM
I completely forgot about that. Wait, no I didn't... I repressed that memory. You forced me to relive the experience of watching early rallies die to the IBB, you bastard.
It's like the two worst things in baseball in a row...the IBB and watching a pitcher flail away to end a rally.

KC_Connection
11-17-2011, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't close the book on that yet. The player's union is also demanding a more balanced schedule (ie, less than 18-19 games per division opponent) and its not like the owners are automatically against that idea. It's not a done deal and they have another year to figure it out, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they swapped out a division series for another interleague series. Interleague inevitably has to be played more often anyway with 15 teams per league, and I doubt they will take it out of non-division league games.
Hope the players have enough power to accomplish that. The Red Sox, Yankees, and TV networks would conceivably fight that kind of a change, though, and they're the real power brokers in MLB.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 08:00 PM
It's like the two worst things in baseball in a row...the IBB and watching a pitcher flail away to end a rally.

I love it when broadcasters say "but he handles the bat well for a pitcher." Awesome. Thomas Gafford has nice outside speed for a long snapper too.

KC_Connection
11-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Cool. I generally like throwbacks... especially when they're not just used as throwbacks in this case. I'd love to see the Royals go back to the blue on blue road unis with the button up shirt from the Bo Jackson days.

I'd love to see Toronto get good agian and win that division rather than the usuals.
Yes, wouldn't we all?

The rumor is that it will be something like this, with a slightly different logo:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2203/2075964307_62fcf75c2c_o.jpg

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Yes, wouldn't we all?

The rumor is that it will be something like this, with a slightly different logo:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2203/2075964307_62fcf75c2c_o.jpg

I like it.

chefsos
11-17-2011, 08:10 PM
I like it.I don't know about the Jheri curls, though. Maybe they should wear hats instead.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 08:11 PM
I don't know about the Jheri curls, though. Maybe they should wear hats instead.

Heh, good call.

chiefsfan987
11-17-2011, 08:30 PM

I strongly disagree with reducing the season, forget the owners, I like having 162 games available. Not because I'm going to all 162 games, but it gives me a bigger choice and a better chance of a game landing on a day I'm available to go. Shortening the season will also force us to close the record book and start over, no thanks.

I'd keep the 162 because of the record book issues as well. If they want the season to end a little sooner because of the expanded playoffs there is no reason they can't have scheduled double headers on a Saturday or Sunday a couple weeks of the season.

KC_Connection
11-17-2011, 08:38 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0922/pg2_bluejayslogo_300.jpg

The rumored logo, looks pretty good.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 08:41 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0922/pg2_bluejayslogo_300.jpg

The rumored logo, looks pretty good.

Not bad.

Curious what makes you a Toronto fan? Connections to the city? Hate America?

:D

KC_Connection
11-17-2011, 08:42 PM
http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/miami_marlins_logo_detail.gif

It could be worse.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 08:43 PM
http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/miami_marlins_logo_detail.gif

It could be worse.

I'm probably one of the few who doesn't mind the new Marlins logo. It's loud yes but it fits the culture of the area imo.

chefsos
11-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Well since we're having a fashion show now, here's my new duds. Cartoon birds and trucker hats FTMFW, 10-4.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae22/chefsoscat/6348352037_872740d28e_z.jpg

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Well since we're having a fashion show now, here's my new duds. Cartoon birds and trucker hats FTMFW, 10-4.

I always liked the cartoon Oriole better than the "real one." I liked Clevelands smiling Indian better than the simple "C" too.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 09:20 PM

I like it. I don't know why they ever got rid of the cartoon bird. The Blue Jay and the Cardinal looks good, but the realistic Oriole just looked strange to me. Like you are enthusiastically advocating for wildlife or something.

tk13
11-17-2011, 09:24 PM
I like it. I don't know why they ever got rid of the cartoon bird. The Blue Jay and the Cardinal looks good, but the realistic Oriole just looked strange to me. Like you are enthusiastically advocating for wildlife or something.

It's considered offensive among the Oriole population.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm probably also in a tiny minority, but I agree with letting the All-Star game determine home field. People complain about how arbitrary they think it is, but don't blink at the thought of just rotating it. Your team gets home field because it is an even numbered year? Why?

The all-star game had turned into a carnival playground where no one cared about the game itself and everyone was just there to have fun. The fans should have fun, but the players and managers should be trying to win.

KC_Connection
11-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Not bad.

Curious what makes you a Toronto fan? Connections to the city? Hate America?

:D
From Toronto.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm probably also in a tiny minority, but I agree with letting the All-Star game determine home field. People complain about how arbitrary they think it is, but don't blink at the thought of just rotating it. Your team gets home field because it is an even numbered year? Why?

The all-star game had turned into a carnival playground where no one cared about the game itself and everyone was just there to have fun. The fans should have fun, but the players and managers should be trying to win.

I agree the managers should be trying to win but more because they're professionals who want to win than because it gives their league home field. Give them a financial incentive or something else if you have to. I didn't jump on the rotating home field each year, I said I think it should go to the best team... as far as record. The point was made that it's still not "fair" that way because the 2 WS teams didn't play the same schedule and that's true, but imo it's a lot closer to being fair than an arbitrary game won by a team made up of mostly players from teams that aren't even in the mix in the WS.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-17-2011, 09:32 PM
From Toronto.

Cool.

chefsos
11-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Personally, I'm just glad I don't have to try to spell "ornithologically correct" anymore.

BigMeatballDave
11-17-2011, 10:56 PM

Both reasons for HF are retarded.

Team with the best record should get it.

alnorth
11-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Team with the best record should get it.

That is (rightfully) a non-starter. The schedules are not even remotely similar, it is not an option at all.

Between alternate years, the All-Star game, or a coin flip, I'll go with the All-Star game winner.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-18-2011, 02:19 AM
That is (rightfully) a non-starter. The schedules are not even remotely similar, it is not an option at all.

Between alternate years, the All-Star game, or a coin flip, I'll go with the All-Star game winner.

I usually agree with you al but not this time. The best record should get homefield. The regular season should be worth more than an exhibition game.

Royal Fanatic
11-18-2011, 06:47 AM

The cartoon birds are back? I'm glad to hear that. I thought it was retarded when the Orioles got rid of it.

alnorth
11-18-2011, 08:11 AM
I usually agree with you al but not this time. The best record should get homefield. The regular season should be worth more than an exhibition game.

The regular season should be worth more, if they share more than maybe 5%-10% of common games. Since they don't, the regular season is not relevant for AL vs NL. To me it would be like giving it to the AL if the US wins the little league world series, or the NL if the international team wins it.

Another possibility might be to give it to the League which wins the most interleague games that season, I might be supportive of that too. That would probably be a better way of showing which league was better that year than the all-star game.

Frazod
11-18-2011, 08:17 AM

Why would anybody want a cartoonish logo for their sports team? That's nearly as bad as the stupid ass KU bird. I guess I would have liked it when I was 6, but as an adult, no so much. Although the oriole does get extra points for actually being a real bird.

Thank God nobody's ever screwed up the official Cardinals logo like that.

Gonzo
11-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Just what Baseball needs, more fucking games.

They need to streamline that shit to 100 - 125 games a year, regular season over in August, WS over by the 1st weekend of October. No later.

I love Baseball but it's too much.

Dave Lane
11-18-2011, 08:41 AM

Yeah that's the right answer let some pitcher fail around and become an almost certain out. I want to see the best there is. Otherwise give people from the stands an at bat from a random seat draw. I bet the attendance would double.

Dr. Gigglepants
11-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Yeah that's the right answer let some pitcher fail around and become an almost certain out. I want to see the best there is. Otherwise give people from the stands an at bat from a random seat draw. I bet the attendance would double.

That idea is not dumber than having the all star game determine home field advantage in the WS. Seriously.

milkman
11-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Why would anybody want a cartoonish logo for their sports team? That's nearly as bad as the stupid ass KU bird. I guess I would have liked it when I was 6, but as an adult, no so much. Although the oriole does get extra points for actually being a real bird.

Thank God nobody's ever screwed up the official Cardinals logo like that.

I'm happy that I am not a fan of any bird teams.

I mean, sreiously, Cardinals?

Orioles?

Blue Jays?

Who the hell came up with that brilliant idea?

If you're a bird, who cares about a logo.

You're a fucking bird.

alnorth
11-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Somewhat related since the OP is related to the new CBA.

There are now several strong rumors coming from respected baseball writers suggesting that the new CBA will include a fine for teams that spend below a threshold for longer than 2 years.

Its not a salary floor since the player's union doesn't agree with a cap either, but they have apparently told the owners that if they want to keep the luxury tax, then there should be some kind of fine or withholding of revenue sharing for teams that spend below a certain threshold, too.

Keeping in mind that teams going with a youth movement (2011 Royals) could legitimately be cheap, some rumors are saying the soft floor might not kick in unless you are cheap for more than two years in a row. (ie if you are really going with a youth movement, players ought to be getting raises in their 3rd year, supplemented by free agents as you start to go for it)

edit: lots of rumors also popping up that a new 5-year CBA will be announced Monday. If true, that would mean 22 years without a strike or lockout.

edit #2: Fox Sports is going out on a limb saying its a done deal and we'll definitely have a new CBA on Monday, long before the mid-December deadline. I guess we'll learn all the details soon.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/new-labor-contract-shows-bud-selig-learned-lesson-111711

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Just what Baseball needs, more fucking games.

They need to streamline that shit to 100 - 125 games a year, regular season over in August, WS over by the 1st weekend of October. No later.

I love Baseball but it's too much.

Yes it is. 162 is suuuuuch overkill.

KCTitus
11-19-2011, 08:52 AM

I believe the converse to be true...it depends upon what revenues we're talking about, but there can be too many games, an over-supply if you will. If the vast majority of the revenues you're referring to is in the TV/broadcast contract then understand your reasoning.

To me however, whenever Im forced to sit through endless highlights of baseball on sportscenter -- I see empty stadiums save for the 3 or 4 teams that actually have good teams. To me, that indicates there is no demand for that product and the teams are not making any revenue by charging for admission, concessions, etc. They clearly cannot make enough on game day to overcome their fixed costs of operating/staffing the stadium if 8000 people show up.

Fewer games mean more meaningful games and thus higher demand. I think they should go to 75 games and be done before labor day. Relegate the worst two teams in MLB to triple A and and elevate the top two from triple A each year. That might actually be interesting.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-19-2011, 09:16 AM
The regular season should be worth more, if they share more than maybe 5%-10% of common games. Since they don't, the regular season is not relevant for AL vs NL. To me it would be like giving it to the AL if the US wins the little league world series, or the NL if the international team wins it.

Another possibility might be to give it to the League which wins the most interleague games that season, I might be supportive of that too. That would probably be a better way of showing which league was better that year than the all-star game.

In the NFL the team with the best record in a conference gets home field advantage throughout the playoffs and that team didn't play the same schedule as the teams seeded below them. It's the same thing imo.

jd1020
11-19-2011, 09:25 AM

An exhibition game deciding home field of the championship game is one of the dumbest ideas to ever grace a sport.

There's no way a team that entered the playoffs due to one of the worst collapses in MLB history should have home field advantage in the WS.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-19-2011, 09:26 AM

LMAO

You're right KU should have went with something really original... like maybe a Tiger or something. No one's ever used that.

Nevermind that a jayhawker was a real thing that was about the states history. Tiger or Wildcat is better. Each conference needs at least 3 of each!

alnorth
11-19-2011, 11:22 AM
I believe the converse to be true...it depends upon what revenues we're talking about, but there can be too many games, an over-supply if you will. If the vast majority of the revenues you're referring to is in the TV/broadcast contract then understand your reasoning.

To me however, whenever Im forced to sit through endless highlights of baseball on sportscenter -- I see empty stadiums save for the 3 or 4 teams that actually have good teams. To me, that indicates there is no demand for that product and the teams are not making any revenue by charging for admission, concessions, etc. They clearly cannot make enough on game day to overcome their fixed costs of operating/staffing the stadium if 8000 people show up.

Fewer games mean more meaningful games and thus higher demand. I think they should go to 75 games and be done before labor day. Relegate the worst two teams in MLB to triple A and and elevate the top two from triple A each year. That might actually be interesting.

For the first time in quite a while, MLB has now exceeded the NFL in total revenue. (MLB has more costs though, so perhaps not total profit)

A team does not need a full stadium, at all, to make the marginal 81st home game worthwhile. Player salaries are a sunk cost and there are plenty of fixed expenses that have to be paid whether the ballpark is open or not, the variable costs of hosting that 81st game are not much at all.

Also, a big reason why ticket prices are so affordable is because the season ticket sales pay off most or all the fixed expenses, if you just walk up 5 or 6 times a year, having 81 home games helps you pay less money.

People complain about 162 games, but they don't stop and wonder why they are complaining. If the season was 140 games instead of 162 games, would you snap your fingers and say "excellent, now I'll go ahead and watch or listen to all 3 hours of all 140 games, 162 was just too much for me." No? Then the extra games don't really have any negative impact on you, at all. The extra games serve to help iron out baseball's incredible variability and small gap between best and worst on any given day to crown a true division champ. The extra games also make it more likely that on a day when you wake up and think "hmm, I think I'd like to go to a game, are the Royals at home today", that they will be.

edit: The promotion/relegation idea is completely stupid, because the 30 clubs own all of the minor league teams, aside from a few independent league teams no one cares about staffed by players who couldn't find a spot on any of the 100+ minor league teams. This is not English soccer where all hundred or whatever teams are scrambling to sign the same players, the top triple-A teams have the best prospects for some of the MLB teams, and those players responsible for that triple-A team's success are gone the next season.

Rausch
11-19-2011, 11:31 AM
YAWN...

whoman69
11-19-2011, 02:07 PM

The Triple A teams are part of the major league franchise. You'd be penalizing the teams who have their best prospects ripped away from them. Plus you'd have a team composed entirely of rookies trying to compete. Good plan.

Calcountry
11-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Shit, they should have rules committee tweek the rules every off season in order to protect the players, increase scoring, and shorten the games. Instant replays with coaches challenges a must.

alnorth
11-20-2011, 06:35 PM
according to rumors today, couple minor changes from what was rumored yesterday.

The deal will be done and announced Tuesday, not tomorrow. There will be no reverse-luxury tax (ie no soft salary floor). The Luxury tax will be pretty much unchanged, at about the same level it is today, impacting the Yankees, perhaps the Red Sox, maybe the Phillies, and no one else.

Frazod
11-20-2011, 07:36 PM
LMAO

You're right KU should have went with something really original... like maybe a Tiger or something. No one's ever used that.

Nevermind that a jayhawker was a real thing that was about the states history. Tiger or Wildcat is better. Each conference needs at least 3 of each!

I understand that. Tigers also derive their name from history. However, a tiger is an actual creature. The jayhawk is not a real bird. If you're going to name your team after thieving killers, put a thieving killer on the logo (works for the Raiders), not some fucktarded cartoon bird with booties that never existed.

mnchiefsguy
11-20-2011, 07:46 PM
I understand that. Tigers also derive their name from history. However, a tiger is an actual creature. The jayhawk is not a real bird. If you're going to name your team after thieving killers, put a thieving killer on the logo (works for the Raiders), not some fucktarded cartoon bird with booties that never existed.

In addition...Missouri's Tigers were the first Tigers:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who's_college_mascot_was_first_named_Tigers_Mizzou_LSU_Auburn_or_Clemson

University of Missouri History: In 1864, while in the midst of the American Civil War, the board of curators suspended operations of the University. It was during this time that the residents of Columbia formed a "home guard" unit that became notoriously known as the "Fighting Tigers of Columbia". This name was given because of the group's steadfast readiness to fight against Confederate bushwhackers, hoping to plunder the city and university, under the command of "Bloody Bill" Anderson. Later, in 1890, an alumnus suggested the University's newly-formed football team be called the "Tigers" out of respect for those who fought to defend Columbia.