PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bill Cowher, Chiefs next head coach?

John_Wayne
11-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Your thoughts?

http://www.kirkwilcox.com/images/billcowher3.jpg

My vote: :thumb:

If not him, then who?

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Insert random person eating popcorn gif here

Shogun
11-18-2011, 08:39 PM
I dont like his mustache, sorry but no.

O.city
11-18-2011, 08:40 PM
No. He would want full control with regards to roster decisions and all. No way with Pioli here.

And for the record, I think Haley will be here next year. Not endorsing it but I'd say he will be.

Shogun
11-18-2011, 08:41 PM
No. He would want full control with regards to roster decisions and all. No way with Pioli here.

And for the record, I think Haley will be here next year. Not endorsing it but I'd say he will be.

Im going to take your word

milkman
11-18-2011, 08:43 PM
My thoughts?

You're a useless attention whore that only shows up to create useless fucking threads.

Do something useful.

Go the fuck away.

Count Alex's Wins
11-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Great, another defensive head coach who plays not to lose.

Just rehire Herm.

Chocolate Hog
11-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Let's hope you get raped by 600 black guys and your anus turns blacker than Bill Cosby.

O.city
11-18-2011, 08:58 PM
If we get rid of Haley I don't really knwo who I would like us to hire.

I know one thing, with coaching changes come new qbs, so it would't be all that bad.

Gonzo
11-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Ok gang,
I saw some tail numbers at the Olathe best buy right next to the realtor's office.
I think I saw Shanahan getting Air-locked by Cowher and Weis at the Applebees. To the boat!
Posted via Mobile Device

John_Wayne
11-18-2011, 09:01 PM
If not Cowher, then WHO?

Flachief58
11-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Cower had his day, but I think the game may have passed him by. I would prefer to stick with Haley for now.

Shogun
11-18-2011, 09:03 PM
If not Cowher, then WHO?

Lou Holtz

It would be fantathtic

Thig Lyfe
11-18-2011, 09:04 PM
lol

Chocolate Hog
11-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Looks like CP has found someone whos more un-funny than KurtCobain

BigMeatballDave
11-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Good God, fuck no!

DeezNutz
11-18-2011, 09:23 PM
The next HC will almost certainly have previous HCing experience, so many better prepare themselves.

The next hire always tends to be the opposite of what just failed. Furthermore, Pioli will be well aware that another failed HC might mean that Pioli himself will be getting fired.

O.city
11-18-2011, 09:25 PM
I just don't see Haley getting canned this year. Not a huge fan of him at this point, but I think injuries will be the justification of him getting more time.

Soft schedule or not he did take a 4 win team to a division title in a year. I think there is alot that he needs to build on. At this point I don't really care either way. As long as we get a qb who can win games.

milkman
11-18-2011, 09:29 PM
If not Cowher, then WHO?

Hey dumbass, if anyone wanted to answer a useless fucking question, they already would have answered.

I know you're too fucking stupid to get a clue, so I won't ask you to.

Iconic
11-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Good God, **** no!
This.

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Hey dumbass, if anyone wanted to answer a useless ****ing question, they already would have answered.

I know you're too ****ing stupid to get a clue, so I won't ask you to.

LMAO

I wish that just once you'd come out of your shell and say what you feel.

Okie_Apparition
11-18-2011, 09:40 PM
I don't know who you are anymore

keg in kc
11-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Jesus god i hope not.

bowener
11-18-2011, 10:21 PM
If not Cowher, then WHO?

Brian Schottenheimer.

Seems like a cheap way to get Chiefs fans to buy season tickets based on nostalgia...

BillSelfsTrophycase
11-18-2011, 10:25 PM
I don't believe I've ever seen a more overated coach than Cowher

This is the guy that thought Kordell Fucking Stewart was the answer at QB

Epic Fail 007
11-18-2011, 10:28 PM

I know one thing, with coaching changes come new qbs, so it would't be all that bad.

jeff fisher would be good

SNR
11-18-2011, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't hire Bill Cowher to clean Arrowhead's toilets, much less be the head coach of this football team

bevischief
11-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Please put the crack pipe down and walk away.

J Diddy
11-18-2011, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't hire Bill Cowher to clean Arrowhead's toilets, much less be the head coach of this football team

This.

Keep him spittling up the cameras.

KC Tattoo
11-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Should just hire some hot shot golf guy.

wait...

GloryDayz
11-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Can he play QB???

BigRock
11-18-2011, 11:16 PM
Or the new coach is Josh McDaniels, which guarantees at least two more years of Cassel.

BossChief
11-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Or the new coach is Josh McDaniels, which guarantees at least two more years of Cassel.
That happens, I'm done.

I'm sure there would be a mass "I'm Leaving Forever" thread.

chefsos
11-18-2011, 11:21 PM
WHO THE HELL BUMPED THIS THREAD FROM 2008

evenfall
11-18-2011, 11:23 PM
I don't think Haley is the problem here. We just aren't talented enough on offense.

Smed1065
11-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Great, another defensive head coach who plays not to lose.

Just rehire Herm.
:LOL:
HC- LOL.

Smed1065
11-18-2011, 11:25 PM
I don't think Haley is the problem here. We just aren't talented enough on offense.

We are close. We have no DVD..............Oh that convo left?

DaFace
11-18-2011, 11:25 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HyxAvIaIpAM/S_7gYuQFUJI/AAAAAAAAAj4/mIVd1TiRi2E/s400/notThisShitAgain.gif

Smed1065
11-18-2011, 11:26 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HyxAvIaIpAM/S_7gYuQFUJI/AAAAAAAAAj4/mIVd1TiRi2E/s400/notThisShitAgain.gif

OMG.

Just the first time I bet.

TEX
11-18-2011, 11:39 PM

You're an idiot.

Shogun
11-18-2011, 11:41 PM
You're an idiot.

I also think he would do a good job cleaning the toilets.

TEX
11-18-2011, 11:43 PM

Maybe. But he would be a better HC.

milkman
11-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Maybe. But he would be a better HC.

You're an idiot.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-18-2011, 11:50 PM

I'll take Fisher, absolutely!

John_Wayne
11-18-2011, 11:55 PM
So, no one has a serious suggestion for HC if Haley is canned? So far, it seems that the names that have mentioned were done so in jest.

Bitch, bitch, bitch, but no solutions!!

John_Wayne
11-18-2011, 11:56 PM
I'll take Fisher, absolutely! I like Fisher too, but many think he's just as overrated as Cowher.

SNR
11-19-2011, 12:05 AM
I also think he would do a good job cleaning the toilets.LMAO

bricks
11-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Id take Cowher. But only under an ideal circumstance/situation.

Only IF the Chiefs had a great prospect at QB. They've got the tools on offense in Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin, Moeaki, and Charles. And, if they had a competent OC, the offense could be something. Now I wish the Chiefs kept Gailey. He was a pretty good OC, and worked wonders with some players. Pretty good play caller as well, and a creative one at that.

I know Gailey and Cowher have connections since they worked with each other in the past. If we kept Gailey, Id bring Cowher in and let him revamp the defense which I have no doubt in my mind he would do that. But, like I said, the situation has to be right. If the Chiefs had Gailey and a good prospect at QB, Id warm up to the idea of adding Cowher as a coach.

Thig Lyfe
11-19-2011, 12:22 AM

I L'd OL.

KILLER_CLOWN
11-19-2011, 12:54 AM
I like Fisher too, but many think he's just as overrated as Cowher.

I've never seen a coach do more with less.

mdchiefsfan
11-19-2011, 01:31 AM
So, no one has a serious suggestion for HC if Haley is canned? So far, it seems that the names that have mentioned were done so in jest.

The problem is that there are no coaches out there that could provide what we need. What this team needs is continuity, which hasn't been here since Vermeil left. Once he left we became one of the youngest teams in the league and a change of HC could deter the development of the young, certain talent on this team.

I know Haley has some issues, but all the issues he has currently are ones that seem to be able to be ironed out, since he's a young HC. Much like QBs, HCs have some growing pains that have to occur on the clock. Things like clock management are learned first hand.

I still feel Haley will be a great coach in this league. I would rather have us bear the fruit of his lessons learned, than have him learn them with us and have someone else succeed from our impatience.

We can all admit that we over-achieved last year. A soft schedule provided us with a chance to win the division. But this team is much the same as it was before and one draft wasn't going to fix all the issues we had, in order to compete with the schedule we now face. That doesn't even include the injuries we have endured.

Give this Bill Cower crap a rest. I like Haley and I think/hope he will be a Chief next year.

crazycoffey
11-19-2011, 03:11 AM

gruden...

Warrior5
11-19-2011, 03:24 AM

I third the motion...

Tribal Warfare
11-19-2011, 04:15 AM
I know Haley has some issues, but all the issues he has currently are ones that seem to be able to be ironed out, since he's a young HC. Much like QBs, HCs have some growing pains that have to occur on the clock. Things like clock management are learned first hand.

The most damning one is that no competent OC will work for him, which is a big problem.

RubberSponge
11-19-2011, 04:33 AM

Somebody has to mop the floor while Cowher scrubs the toilet, I guess.

griZZly64
11-19-2011, 04:37 AM
I'm hoping Haley stays. I think hes a great coach.

RubberSponge
11-19-2011, 04:39 AM

It's not that we just think he is overrated. He absolutely is overrated.

The guy has had 6 winning seasons in 17yrs. His teams have been in the bottom half of his division for more years than he has coached them to the top half. He has a losing playoff record. What other results do you need to know that Fisher flat sucks ass?

What exactly leads you to believe he is a great, hell even a good coach?

evenfall
11-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Fisher is massively overrated. It's amazing people can call Cowher overrated and think he's any good.

BoneKrusher
11-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Should just hire some hot shot golf guy.

wait...

haha
already tried that and it Failed.:thumb:

Warrior5
11-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Fisher is massively overrated. It's amazing people can call Cowher overrated and think he's any good.

Do you want to keep Haley? If not, who would you like to see as a replacement?

htismaqe
11-19-2011, 08:34 AM
The next HC will almost certainly have previous HCing experience, so many better prepare themselves.

The next hire always tends to be the opposite of what just failed. Furthermore, Pioli will be well aware that another failed HC might mean that Pioli himself will be getting fired.

Which means it will be someone like Mangini or McDaniels.

Sorry, but Cowher wants total power, as does Fisher, Gruden and most of the other retreads. None of them would even consider working with Pioli.

Our only hope is that we get someone like Mangini and it's Belichek part 2 - failed in Cleveland and learned from it.

htismaqe
11-19-2011, 08:39 AM
The most damning one is that no competent OC will work for him, which is a big problem.

I don't think we know that definitively. Weis is a strong personality and was a head coach for nearly half a decade before coming to KC. He also had an opportunity to coach his son.

And for all we know, Pioli hired Weis and Haley was asked politely to make it work.

Gailey should have never been on the staff in the first place. That was strike one against Haley IMO. He should have let Gailey go the day he arrived - you can't tell me that guys that coach football for a living didn't KNOW it wouldn't work from the get-go.

And if they were farting around with Gailey and Pendergast because they were WAITING for Crennel and Weis...well...that's strike TWO.

Step 1 in "The Plan" is to have a god damn plan! :)

notorious
11-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Fisher and Cowher.

Someone should just put a bullet in this franchise and end the suffering. :facepalm:

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-19-2011, 08:41 AM

Do you speak out of your ass all the time or just on this board?

Red Beans
11-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Such an original thread...

crazycoffey
11-19-2011, 08:56 AM

He's the first and only member to speak out of his ass....

DeezNutz
11-19-2011, 08:59 AM

Ugh. At least initially, it would be very difficult to stomach the hiring of either of these individuals.

Good to see you, by the way.

Okie_Apparition
11-19-2011, 09:00 AM
It will be Andy Ried
Might as well keep Haley
Walrus is the only retread I'd care about & he's busy

milkman
11-19-2011, 09:03 AM

Sorry, but Cowher wants total power, as does Fisher, Gruden and most of the other retreads. None of them would even consider working with Pioli.

Our only hope is that we get someone like Mangini and it's Belichek part 2 - failed in Cleveland and learned from it.

Cleveland was Mangini's second stop.

He was worse in Cleveland than New York.

I don't think we know that definitively. Weis is a strong personality and was a head coach for nearly half a decade before coming to KC. He also had an opportunity to coach his son.

And for all we know, Pioli hired Weis and Haley was asked politely to make it work.

Gailey should have never been on the staff in the first place. That was strike one against Haley IMO. He should have let Gailey go the day he arrived - you can't tell me that guys that coach football for a living didn't KNOW it wouldn't work from the get-go.

And if they were farting around with Gailey and Pendergast because they were WAITING for Crennel and Weis...well...that's strike TWO.

Step 1 in "The Plan" is to have a god damn plan! :)

Word was that Clark Hunt asked Haley to try to make it work.

Would you go into a new job and ignore the boss' first request?

milkman
11-19-2011, 09:05 AM
BTW Parker, good to see you, dumbass.

:D

O.city
11-19-2011, 09:06 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while. Here's my thought on the whole Cassel thing.

Pioli came in and saw how bad this roster was. A few young guys who could turn out very good but overall pretty barren. He thought, why not bring in a qb who can somewhat steer the ship for a couple years while I build up the roster. Then I will get my franchise guy when alot of the pieces are in place. Bring in a young new coach and let him in on it, try and do the best you can until you can get that "guy" to play qb.

Maybe, hope to god, thats where we are now. because if they think Cassel is the answer

milkman
11-19-2011, 09:07 AM

If you stood TW and Laz back to back, you'd have them talking over each other.

milkman
11-19-2011, 09:08 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while. Here's my thought on the whole Cassel thing.

Pioli came in and saw how bad this roster was. A few young guys who could turn out very good but overall pretty barren. He thought, why not bring in a qb who can somewhat steer the ship for a couple years while I build up the roster. Then I will get my franchise guy when alot of the pieces are in place. Bring in a young new coach and let him in on it, try and do the best you can until you can get that "guy" to play qb.

Maybe, hope to god, thats where we are now. because if they think Cassel is the answer

I really don't think you give a caretaker a long term, big money contract.

O.city
11-19-2011, 09:10 AM
I really don't think you give a caretaker a long term, big money contract.

See I thought about that. They had to make it seem to the fans they thought this was the guy at qb. Therefor the big deal that they can get out from under when they get their guy.

Maybe I'm just trying to justify how a GM who seems to have a pretty good football mind, can think that Matt Cassel is the answer at qb.

Over his three years here, how many touchdown passes do you think he has missed or not seen a guy running wide open? I mean every team has a wr run thru a breakdown in coverage and have like a 70 yard td, when was the last time that happened here?

Extra Point
11-19-2011, 09:12 AM
I'd just like to see an OC that can do his job, and let Haley learn how to use the clock and time-outs. Let Muir do what he does best: coach the O-line.

milkman
11-19-2011, 09:13 AM
See I thought about that. They had to make it seem to the fans they thought this was the guy at qb. Therefor the big deal that they can get out from under when they get their guy.

Maybe I'm just trying to justify how a GM who seems to have a pretty good football mind, can think that Matt Cassel is the answer at qb.

Over his three years here, how many touchdown passes do you think he has missed or not seen a guy running wide open? I mean every team has a wr run thru a breakdown in coverage and have like a 70 yard td, when was the last time that happened here?

Other than no brainers, what has he done to show he has a pretty good football mind?

Okie_Apparition
11-19-2011, 09:13 AM
We could always use another Hawkeye fans' assessment of Stanzi
will we need plastic like if we were front row at a Gallagher concert

O.city
11-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Other than no brainers, what has he done to show he has a pretty good football mind?

I have thought his drafts have been pretty solid. Outside of 2010 round 2 and 09.

He has brought in some pretty decent fa's but overall it's been kinda barren. I thought, from the Patriot book read, that he sounded to have a good football brain.

But I do see where you are coming from with the no brainers.

O.city
11-19-2011, 09:16 AM

It's just hard for me to get past the Matt Cassel debacle if he really thought he was the answer and wasn't signing a stop gap.

O.city
11-19-2011, 09:18 AM
I dunno Milk. I love my Chiefs so much and I want them to be an upper echelon team. I just can't stand the mediocrity anymore and I'm trying to justify in my mind how we got here and where we go from here.

WV
11-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Fuck no.....I'd seriously rather keep Haley than have the mega overrated Chin.

milkman
11-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Hey Parker, unless my memory fails me, you're a Hawkeye fan, aren't you?

Love to hear your thoughts on Stanzi.

milkman
11-19-2011, 09:25 AM
**** no.....I'd seriously rather keep Haley than have the mega overrated Chin.

I'd rather get anally raped by a toilet brush lined with rusty razors in the showers at Penn St. than hire either Cowher or Fisher.

htismaqe
11-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Cleveland was Mangini's second stop.

He was worse in Cleveland than New York.

Good catch. Thanks for reminding me that we're fucked. ROFL

Word was that Clark Hunt asked Haley to try to make it work.

Would you go into a new job and ignore the boss' first request?

Yeah, I actually might, but that's just me. I would say this though: If I did do something like that, I'd ABSOLUTELY make sure that my subsequent job performance exonerated me.

htismaqe
11-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Hey Parker, unless my memory fails me, you're a Hawkeye fan, aren't you?

Love to hear your thoughts on Stanzi.

Yeah, um, no.

I'm a Hawkeye fan, and therefore it's not possible for me to be objective.

Just sayin...

KC_Lee
11-19-2011, 09:36 AM
We already had Fisher when Marty was the coach. Fisher would not want to draft and develop a QB, he would want to sign a veteran and run the ball up the middle 15 - 20 times a game.

That sound familiar to anyone on this board?

O.city
Yeah, um, no.

Just sayin...

Then don't be objective. What do you think about him?

OnTheWarpath58
Yeah, um, no.

Just sayin...

You can't be any less objective than the others.

Hope you stick around, this place needs more people who know/talk football.

milkman
11-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Yeah, um, no.

Just sayin...

I get that.

But I have more respect for your non objective opinion than the (supposed) objective opinion of others around here.

I also respect your right to pass on it.

OnTheWarpath58
11-19-2011, 09:40 AM
I get that.

But I have more respect for your non objective opinion than the (supposed) objective opinion of others around here.

I also respect your right to pass on it.

Very much this.

milkman
11-19-2011, 09:40 AM
We already had Fisher when Marty was the coach. Fisher would not want to draft and develop a QB, he would want to sign a veteran and run the ball up the middle 15 - 20 times a game.

That sound familiar to anyone on this board?

While I don't like Fisher, he did do one of the better jobs of drafting and developing QB that we've seen in the last 20 years.

Deberg_1990
11-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Didnt Fisher draft and develop Steve McNair??

WhiteWhale
11-19-2011, 09:44 AM
So I guess we're just going after short term answers?

Even if Cowher does come here...

1. Coaches rarely duplicate success at their 2nd or 3rd stops. DV took Philly and the rams to the SB, but somehow that did NOT put us there.

2. Cowher resigned because he was burned out. IF he coaches again, I'll bet he's there 4-5 years tops before he walks off into the sunset again.

I find this to be a case of living in the past.

htismaqe
11-19-2011, 09:47 AM
You can't be any less objective than the others.

Hope you stick around, this place needs more people who know/talk football.

I've been lurking for while, and alot of the stuff that's already been said is pretty objective. There's just a few people that can't stand the fact that he played in Iowa City.

He's got good feet and great touch. That was born out at the combine - the guys on the NFL network continuously said "watch his feet" and "perfect release". On one of the deep sideline drills, he was the ONLY guy not named Cam Newton that consistently put the ball on the WR outside shoulder, between the receiver and the sideline. That throw probably epitomizes the NFL more than any other.

He's not big and overly strong, no. He's not overly mobile. He doesn't have a rocket arm. He's not Tyrod Taylor. He's not Ryan Mallett.

He does have issues with making poor decisions - he didn't just throw interceptions, he tended to throw 6 points to the other team. He also has the capability to put a team on his back and win a game when it needs to be done. NEITHER trait is on display 100% of the time.

He's probably not gonna be anything close to Aaron Rodgers. But he does have everything you look for in an NFL QB both physically and in the time he spent in a pro offense in college.

Is he gonna save this franchise? It depends on what you want him to save it from. He absolutely CAN save us from Matt Cassell and for that I'd like a hallelujah and an amen.

Okie_Apparition
11-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Find out what Miami wants to do & then do the exact opposite

milkman
11-19-2011, 09:50 AM
I've been lurking for while, and alot of the stuff that's already been said is pretty objective. There's just a few people that can't stand the fact that he played in Iowa City.

He's got good feet and great touch. That was born out at the combine - the guys on the NFL network continuously said "watch his feet" and "perfect release". On one of the deep sideline drills, he was the ONLY guy not named Cam Newton that consistently put the ball on the WR outside shoulder, between the receiver and the sideline. That throw probably epitomizes the NFL more than any other.

He's not big and overly strong, no. He's not overly mobile. He doesn't have a rocket arm. He's not Tyrod Taylor. He's not Ryan Mallett.

He does have issues with making poor decisions - he didn't just throw interceptions, he tended to throw 6 points to the other team. He also has the capability to put a team on his back and win a game when it needs to be done. NEITHER trait is on display 100% of the time.

He's probably not gonna be anything close to Aaron Rodgers. But he does have everything you look for in an NFL QB both physically and in the time he spent in a pro offense in college.

Is he gonna save this franchise? It depends on what you want him to save it from. He absolutely CAN save us from Matt Cassell and for that I'd like a hallelujah and an amen.

Homer.

:p

Seriuosly, thanks for the insight.

Sounds good to me.

O.city
11-19-2011, 09:50 AM

I'd say his arm is very much strong enough. Again just from what I have seen it seems on par with the Matt Ryans of the NFL.

It's just hard for me to say what he can and can't be when he isn't even given the chance. What the hell do we have to lose now?

O.city
11-19-2011, 09:51 AM

Also thanks for the insight. I wasn't around before when you posted much but from the way everyone else speaks of you, you seem to be a solid poster. Good to have more football guys around.

htismaqe
11-19-2011, 09:53 AM
One more thing about Stanzi: you have to look at the type of offense he played in with both eyes. I honestly hate the decisions they make alot of times - they lost the Ohio State game last year even though it was Vandenberg's first start of any kind (ON THE ROAD AT THE HORSESHOE) because Tressel basically knelt on the ball with 2 minutes left and played for overtime.

What does the Iowa coaching staff decide to do with just over 2 minutes and 3 timeouts? KNEEL ON THE BALL AND PLAY FOR OVERTIME.

Right now, just off the top of my head, the starting TEs in both Oakland and Buffalo played at Iowa. Tony Moeaki obviously played at Iowa. Iowa has TWO TEs this year that could play at the next level. They've got ONE WR that really has NFL written all over him (Marvin McNutt) and he really only emerged at the end of last year, so Stanzi didn't get to use him as much.

Deberg_1990
11-19-2011, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the insight. Sounds alot like a Trent Green "lunch pale" type.

KC_Lee
11-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Didnt Fisher draft and develop Steve McNair??

Yeah and after that what did he do? VY was forced on him by the owner. Once that debacle was over and VY was gone Fisher left the Titans.

In fact, name me on coach that started with one team, moved to another and drafted and developed a QB at both locations. The only one I can think of is Parcells with Simms and Bledsoe.

milkman
11-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the insight. Sounds alot like a Trent Green "lunch pale" type.

The one thing that almost everyone points to about Stanzi is that he has shown the ability to put his team on his shoulders and carry them when he has to at times.

Trent Green never had that ability.

Everything I've ever read about Stanzi, both here and elsewhere, suggest he has the tools to succeed.

If he can improve decision making, he might have the chance to actually be that late round gem.

I wouldn't bet the house on it, but neither would I dimiss thepossibility.

OnTheWarpath58
11-19-2011, 10:14 AM

Even I feel he can be better than Cassel, but as you like to say, "better than bad does not equal good."

Do you pass on a R1 QB because of him? I say no way.

htismaqe
Very much this.

I know you've specifically asked this, and it deserves an answer...

Stanzi went in the 5th round for a couple of reasons, IMO.

The NFL is, by and large, a risk-averse fraternity of guys like Marty more or less. They preach ball security at all costs and those picks - not just picks but pick SIXES - his junior year stick out like a sore thumb on film. Even though he had a great senior year in terms of ball security, most NFL guys will have a hard time letting that Junior season fade from memory.
I think the NFL might be starting to realize what alot of us have known for a long time - Super Bowl-caliber QBs come primarily out of the 1st round. The rest of your championship-worthy QBs recently have been, almost exclusively, your late round/undrafted Tom Brady/Kurt Warner types. Therefore, there's almost no value in drafting a QB in the middle rounds. If you don't take a QB in the 1st, everything else is a long shot. So why not take that long shot in the 5th or 6th round instead of the 3rd?

htismaqe
I'd say his arm is very much strong enough. Again just from what I have seen it seems on par with the Matt Ryans of the NFL.

It's just hard for me to say what he can and can't be when he isn't even given the chance. What the hell do we have to lose now?

NOTHING.

Dave Lane
Milk I was where you are a few weeks ago and then it hit me. What ALL Kansas City QBs have needed since Len Dawson is a little more gunslinger mentality to them, a dash of Farve or Rothlisberger to their game. I'd be OK with 5 extra interceptions a year if it adds 15 more TDs because he threads passes into tight coverage.

Just me maybe.

The one thing that almost everyone points to about Stanzi is that he has shown the ability to put his team on his shoulders and carry them when he has to at times.

Trent Green never had that ability.

Everything I've ever read about Stanzi, both here and elsewhere, suggest he has the tools to succeed.

If he can improve decision making, he might have the chance to actually be that late round gem.

I wouldn't bet the house on it, but neither would I dimiss thepossibility.

htismaqe
11-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Even I feel he can be better than Cassel, but as you like to say, "better than bad does not equal good."

Because of him now? No, absolutely not. See my previous post. We know literally nothing about him and history tells us that a 5th round long shot is still a long shot. Take the 1st round QB and move on.

But let's say he starts the last 5 games or so, throws 10 TDs and only 1 INT and we win them all? I think that HAS to change your decision making process some, does it not?

htismaqe
11-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Milk I was where you are a few weeks ago and then it hit me. What ALL Kansas City QBs have needed since Len Dawson is a little more gunslinger mentality to them, a dash of Farve or Rothlisberger to their game. I'd be OK with 5 extra interceptions a year if it adds 15 more TDs because he threads passes into tight coverage.

Just me maybe.

Here's the thing - between 5 and 15 yards, I think Stanzi is NAILS. You have to go back and watch some of DJK and McNutt turning 7 yard outs into 80-yard TDs primarily because Stanzi put the ball EXACTLY where it need to be.

In the short passing game, he's the OPPOSITE of Cassel and with this WR corps, we need that more than anything.

Dave Lane
11-19-2011, 10:19 AM

It's why you let him play this year to get an idea. But if there is anyway you can get Luck / RG3 you have to go for it.

OnTheWarpath58
11-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Because of him now? No, absolutely not. See my previous post. We know literally nothing about him and history tells us that a 5th round long shot is still a long shot. Take the 1st round QB and move on.

But let's say he starts the last 5 games or so, throws 10 TDs and only 1 INT and we win them all? I think that HAS to change your decision making process some, does it not?

To me it doesn't, because we've seen a similar movie before and know how it ends.

If there's a guy you think is a sure-fire franchise QB, you don't pass on him when you have a 5 game sample of a 5th round pick.

Take the franchise guy, and let the chips fall where they may.

milkman
11-19-2011, 10:23 AM

Just me maybe.

I'm not sure what you mean.

I didn't like Favre, because he was constantly making bad decisisons.

I would, however, take a Terry Bradshaw, who occassionally made a bad decision in an effort to make a play.

Roethlisburger, on the field, is nowhere near the bonehead that Favre was.

I want a guy that can "throw a receiver open", and you can't do that without throwing into tight coverage.

OnTheWarpath58
11-19-2011, 10:26 AM

I would, however, take a Terry Bradshaw, who occassionally made a bad decision in an effort to make a play.

I want a guy that can "throw a receiver open", and you can't do that without throwing into tight coverage.

I'll be curious to see what Parker thinks about this, but IMO, Stanzi can absolutely throw guys open on the short routes - but I don't think he has the arm strength to throw guys open with the deep ball.

milkman
11-19-2011, 10:30 AM
I'll be curious to see what Parker thinks about this, but IMO, Stanzi can absolutely throw guys open on the short routes - but I don't think he has the arm strength to throw guys open with the deep ball.

I'm not sure you actually throw a guy open on deep balls.

Things like that are more jump ball situations, and you are asking your receiver to make a play, or making back shoulder throws that make a play by the DB damn near impossible, and we saw Stanzi do that on a Horne drop in the preseason.

OnTheWarpath58
11-19-2011, 10:32 AM

Things like that are more jump ball situations, and you are asking your receiver to make a play, or making back shoulder throws that make a play by the DB damn near impossible, and we saw Stanzi do that on a Horne drop in the preseason.

Disagree here. You see the guys with big arms do it all the time.

Just a matter of having a strong enough arm to beat the over-the-top safety help a CB might get on a deep ball.

milkman
11-19-2011, 10:36 AM

Just a matter of having a strong enough arm to beat the over-the-top safety help a CB might get on a deep ball.

You have a point there that I didn't think of.

But guys like Drew Brees and Joe Montana do/did it with "misdirection".

Those guys look the safety off, turn and make the throw, not giving teh safety the time to make a play.

Stanzi, from what I've seen, has comparable arm strength.

Sucky
11-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Would love to have Cowher but I think Miami will get him.

How about Gruden? Would he be interested at all?

Backwards Masking
11-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Call me crazy, I'm voting a resounding "NO" to Cowher as coach.

Would he be better than Haley / Herm / Gunther and most of our history's coaches - yes, I would never argue otherwise.

But Cowher and Marty are virtually identitcal in every way. And that's a huge concern,

Yeah, Cowher got a ring (technically....). But anyone who watched that Super Dud knows it was handed to Bill on a silver platter. Hell, the ESPN front page the week before (not to mention every TV commercial) headlined "The Bus is headed back home to Detriot, will Cowher get his Ring, the Blue Collar Team finally gets back to the big one, this Sunday, 5PM kickoff in Detroit! (vs. Seattle)

If Cowher actually managed to get KC to a SuperBowl (until his "championship" year his playoff record was almost as bad Marty's) NO WAY would we get a fraction of the officiating favors The Blue Collar Team got during "Super Bowl" XL. And since that's not the case, I don't for one second believe Cowher could or will ever take the Chiefs all the way if he was given a chance here. I'm telling you, he was a Marty clone on a MUCH more popular team.

Great regular season coach, piss poor playoff contender. His "ring" doesn't convince me otherwise.

Dave Lane
11-19-2011, 11:10 AM

Thanks for making my point and yes we are in agreement hence the "dash" of and not complete person of.

milkman
11-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks for making my point and yes we are in agreement hence the "dash" of and not complete person of.

I wasn't sure what you mean't when you said you were where I'm at.

I've never said that a QB has ot be a perfect decision maker, but I don't want one that consistently make bad decisions.

I've always, however, believed that without risk, there can be no reward.

O.city
11-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I'd say give Stanzi the rest of this season, even if he looks ungodly if Barkley or god forbid we are in a place to take Luck I think you absolutely do it. Although I wouldn't go reaching for them as you could get a great help in the first round if Stanzi worked out.

If he does work out and you aren't picking a qb, who would you guys wanna take in the first round?

I'd say a RT or take a flyer on BPA.

GloryDayz
11-19-2011, 11:43 AM

Look, it's simple, as long as a Hunt runs this team, not even Jesus Christ can GM/head-coach us into a SB run. The inconvenient truth is that the Hunt family is the ONLY constant through our years of failure since 1969. The Hunts manage for HUGE profits first, and to do that they know they can't go 0-16 and keep the cash-cow's utters plump; so they "hope" for something North of 8 wins. But anything above that is Polaner All Fruit on the toast... They are not going to cut into their take-home pay to not only win, but win enough to go deep into the playoffs. That may sicken you, but please review our trips to the SB 1970-2010...

And the Hunts will NEVER release enough control of the team (and money is control!!) to allow any person, beast or god, to put enough smart people and quality players on the field, side lines and in the box, to get to a win a SB.

O.city
11-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Thought I remembered Hunt telling Pioli the pocket book was open?

Backwards Masking
11-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Look, it's simple, as long as a Hunt runs this team, not even Jesus Christ can GM/head-coach us into a SB run. The inconvenient truth is that the Hunt family is the ONLY constant through our years of failure since 1969. The Hunts manage for HUGE profits first, and to do that they know they can't go 0-16 and keep the cash-cow's utters plump; so they "hope" for something North of 8 wins. But anything above that is Polaner All Fruit on the toast... They are not going to cut into their take-home pay to not only win, but win enough to go deep into the playoffs. That may sicken you, but please review our trips to the SB 1970-2010...

And the Hunts will NEVER release enough control of the team (and money is control!!) to allow any person, beast or god, to put enough smart people and quality players on the field, side lines and in the box, to get to a win a SB.

Lots of truth here.

O.city
11-19-2011, 11:47 AM
At this point, I think it's qb or RT in the first round depending on what they think to asshole Cassel or Stanzi.

If Gaither works out at RT and Stanzi is promising at qb I dunno what we would do in the first.

BPA would be my guess. Just take the most athletic, best football player available no matter what position he plays. You can never have to many of those guys on a football team.

O.city
11-19-2011, 11:49 AM

I think you are right about alot of this.

However just because they pay more doesn't mean we are a SB team. Hell look at the Eagles.

Reason we haven't won a SB in however long is that we haven't had a qb.

BigMeatballDave
11-19-2011, 12:03 PM

And the Hunts will NEVER release enough control of the team (and money is control!!) to allow any person, beast or god, to put enough smart people and quality players on the field, side lines and in the box, to get to a win a SB.Money has little to do with winning. I doubt the Packers are breaking the bank. The problem is management is too shortsighted to draft a QB high.

GloryDayz
11-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Thought I remembered Hunt telling Pioli the pocket book was open?

Yeah, he took the money out before he gave it to him. That's why we're so far under the cap. And, perhaps, the more technical answer is that he's been looking to make up the money he had to put into the stadium. It's no small sum. But for the pocket book being open, we're certainly not spending like we can find the pocket book. So I think Scott's fibbing.

GloryDayz
11-19-2011, 01:12 PM
I think you are right about alot of this.

However just because they pay more doesn't mean we are a SB team. Hell look at the Eagles.

Reason we haven't won a SB in however long is that we haven't had a qb.

I don't disagree that huge checks don't guarantee wins, but like the Yanks and Boston, it sure make you more competitive on a regular basis if a half-smart person is in charge. The Eagles can't get their super-stars to gel correctly. They need to study under the Dill B system for a while!

That being said, football isn't baseball, football has a cap. To not spend to it (sans a detailed plan for a focused run and the bankroll to support it), it makes little sense not to spend it (unless your pocketing the money). So I get it, but I think our history shows that we're just cheap...

GloryDayz
11-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Money has little to do with winning. I doubt the Packers are breaking the bank. The problem is management is too shortsighted to draft a QB high.

At $129M Green Bay is over the Cap... So yeah, they spent..

http://nflfootballnow.com/2011/07/21/2011-nfl-salary-cap-and-floor-where-32-teams-stand/

Arizona $83 million
Atlanta $102.1 million
Baltimore $101.3 million
Buffalo $96.4 million
Carolina $73 million
Chicago $104.9 million
Cincinnati $90.7 million
Cleveland $99.2 million
Dallas $136.6 million
Denver $125 million
Detroit $113.8 million
Green Bay $129.8 million
Houston $118.4 million
Indianapolis $115.5 million
Jacksonville $78.1 million
Kansas City $74.7 million
Miami $103.1 million
Minnesota $108.4 million
New England $102.3 million
New Orleans $105.2 million
New York Giants $126.3 million
New York Jets $128.5 million
Oakland $85.8 million
Philadelphia $80.8 million
Pittsburgh $116 million
San Diego $85.8 million
San Francisco $100.9 million
Seattle $81.1 million
St. Louis $102.4 million
Tampa Bay $59.7 million
Tennessee $107.4 million
Washington $115.2 million

O.city
11-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Our number will be alot bigger once we hopefully resign Bowe and Carr. Also how is the Eagles number that low?

IMO it doens't matter how much we would have spent this offseason if we were running Matt Cassel out there.

GloryDayz
11-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Our number will be alot bigger once we hopefully resign Bowe and Carr. Also how is the Eagles number that low?

IMO it doens't matter how much we would have spent this offseason if we were running Matt Cassel out there.

No clue on the numbers, but they seem to be more than a mere guess.

As for cAsshole, I agree but we're doomed as he will stay, he's got some dirt on somebody evidently..

MahiMike
11-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Is it 2001 again?

O.city
11-19-2011, 01:42 PM
No clue on the numbers, but they seem to be more than a mere guess.

As for cAsshole, I agree but we're doomed as he will stay, he's got some dirt on somebody evidently..

At this point I don't know how it could be justified that he should stay. Our passing game is in the bottom of the league, with arguably one of the better up and coming wr corps.

I know losing Moeaki and Charles have hurt alot but there is still enough weapons on offense to be in the middle of the pack with an adequate qb.

I wish somehow we could se what it's like in the coaches meetins/film rooms when they watch film and see the guy consistenly take points off the board by not making throws that average NFL qbs should easily make.

milkman
11-19-2011, 01:47 PM
At this point I don't know how it could be justified that he should stay. Our passing game is in the bottom of the league, with arguably one of the better up and coming wr corps.

I know losing Moeaki and Charles have hurt alot but there is still enough weapons on offense to be in the middle of the pack with an adequate qb.

I wish somehow we could se what it's like in the coaches meetins/film rooms when they watch film and see the guy consistenly take points off the board by not making throws that average NFL qbs should easily make.

They throw darts at pictures of Pioli and Cassel.

They've had to replace the pictures numerous times in 2 1/2 years.

MahiMike
11-19-2011, 01:47 PM
As far as retreads go, I like Brian Billick. But I honestly don't want a guy that's been behind the camera for any length of time. They've lost their edge. Rather go young college coach with offensive mindset.

GloryDayz
11-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Is it 2001 again?

Nope..

http://www.grampaskits.com/images/SunDial_reduced800.jpg

O.city
11-19-2011, 01:48 PM

I'd hope. I mean what do you say to Matt when you show him this 5 or 6 times a game when one of our wr is running wide open.

BigMeatballDave
11-19-2011, 01:49 PM
At $129M Green Bay is over the Cap... So yeah, they spent..

On their own people. They dont go out and sign high-priced FA.

Certainly not like Philly just did, or Washington has done. That formula doesnt work in the NFL.

O.city
11-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Gb is where they are because they are the best drafting franchise in the NFL.

They keep drafting athletes and good football players at positions where they can make an impact.

GloryDayz
11-19-2011, 01:51 PM

So if cAsshole finds this hanging in his locker, we're set... On two on two, ready....break!!!

http://dudesons.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Human-dartboard.jpg

O.city
11-19-2011, 01:52 PM
It's time for the period of Stanzi to start.

GloryDayz
11-19-2011, 02:03 PM

Ya think!!?? He may not be the future of this team, nobody knows, but hell I'd let your dog (assuming that's your dog in your avatar) over cAsshole right now, s/he looks like s/he has better moves!

O.city
11-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Ya think!!?? He may not be the future of this team, nobody knows, but hell I'd let your dog (assuming that's your dog in your avatar) over cAsshole right now, s/he looks like s/he has better moves!

Yeah it's my chocolate lab. He had a hip replacement and he probably could lead this team better.

Although his name is Barkley so maybe thats a coincedence to who our qb will be in the future.

GloryDayz
11-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Yeah it's my chocolate lab. He had a hip replacement and he probably could lead this team better.

Although his name is Barkley so maybe thats a coincedence to who our qb will be in the future.

Been through the dysplasia thing before. Tough, but worth it....

kysirsoze
11-19-2011, 02:16 PM

What an odd way to phrase this.

notorious
11-19-2011, 02:32 PM
What an odd way to phrase this.

It's sounds like it's could get......bloody.

whoman69
11-19-2011, 02:44 PM
So I guess we're just going after short term answers?

Even if Cowher does come here...

1. Coaches rarely duplicate success at their 2nd or 3rd stops. DV took Philly and the rams to the SB, but somehow that did NOT put us there.

2. Cowher resigned because he was burned out. IF he coaches again, I'll bet he's there 4-5 years tops before he walks off into the sunset again.

I find this to be a case of living in the past.

Exactly. I think the best coaches are hungry and you just can't stay that way after having success with another franchise knowing you're going to have to start from square one to mold the team in your image. IMO Haley has been tied to a poor offense the entire time he was here with only a middling defense. I'm going to call this on the front office.

BossChief
11-19-2011, 03:00 PM

I appreciate your takes very much and I feel they very much verify what Ive been saying on here since well before the draft.

Maybe now, some of the guys that don't take my posts about the Hawks as anything but homerism will see them a little differently.

Pretty much everything you have said here are things Ive been saying all along.

You keep bringing up Terry Bradshaw when we talk about Stanzi.

Is he similar in a lot of ways and thats what makes you post his name on this subject so much?
Gb is where they are because they are the best drafting franchise in the NFL.

They keep drafting athletes and good football players at positions where they can make an impact.

GB is the best team in the NFL because of Rogers.

Go look at their draft history over the last few years, they aren't the best drafting team.

bevischief
11-19-2011, 03:03 PM

That is what tampons are for...

cardken
11-19-2011, 03:08 PM

Not a chance as with Cowher, Fisher would want roster control. Especially in light of the fiasco in Nashville as regards Vince Young. Kansas City will hire another up and comer. They barely spend money on players let alone a Head Coach. when was the last time Kansas City made a splash at Head Coach hiring? Schottenheimer, and anyone would sell their first born to not be living in Cleveland.

Guru
11-19-2011, 03:12 PM

Unlike Cowher, Fischer is still hungry for a superbowl title.

Slainte
11-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Incredibly, a thread started by this brain-dead piece of human garbage is taken seriously.

Awesome. CP's street cred hovering near zero...

BossChief
11-19-2011, 03:27 PM

Im actually anxious too see Stanzis refined deep ball.

At Iowa, it was accurate most of the time, but he also put a little too much air under it.

Stanzi did a lot of work with Tom Brady and his personal coach before and after the combine/draft and I already notice a little more zip on his passes from his last game at Iowa to his preseason action, but his deep ball never really got put out there to see. His longest pass in PS was around 30-35 yards and it looked like a rope.

I think the air he put under his deep passes is a big reason he dropped a bit...downfield passing attacks might have shied away because they might have thought his arm wasn't anything special.

The thing is that while at Iowa he didn't really have a dedicated QB coach because O'keefe was the OC and QB coach.

With us having Zorn on staff to work one on one with him, he could really grow into the role once he gets a chance.

cardken
11-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Been looking at this guy for awhile. JAY Gruden. Yes, brother of JON, OC in Cincinnati. Nice job in evaluating talent in Green and Dalton. And nice Coaching background and successful on all levels. Chucky 2.0

bevischief
11-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Please stop. Not going to happen. Put the crack pipe down.

Dave Lane
11-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Been looking at this guy for awhile. JAY Gruden. Yes, brother of JON, OC in Cincinnati. Nice job in evaluating talent in Green and Dalton. And nice Coaching background and successful on all levels. Chucky 2.0

That's what I want a guy with an ascending resume. Fuck these retreads.

BossChief
11-19-2011, 03:58 PM
The injuries will buy Haley another year.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Herp Cassel for QB coach next year Derp

notorious
11-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Truefans want Cowher or Marty so that they can be happy during the season.

I want much more.

bevischief
11-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Pipe the pipe down now and quit it.

crazycoffey
11-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Unlike Cowher, Fischer is still hungry for a superbowl title.

So is Marty, your point?

O.city
11-19-2011, 05:16 PM
The injuries will buy Haley another year.

This.

The team wasn't prepared to start, but the injuries to your best players are hard to overcome.

Don't really care at this point either way if he is brought back or not.

htismaqe
11-19-2011, 05:29 PM
To me it doesn't, because we've seen a similar movie before and know how it ends.

If there's a guy you think is a sure-fire franchise QB, you don't pass on him when you have a 5 game sample of a 5th round pick.

Take the franchise guy, and let the chips fall where they may.

Who is that franchise guy? I guess that's the question for me. When I say I think it changes my decision making process, it doesn't change how I evaluate Andrew Luck or Barkley, for example. But it DOES change how I evaluate Robert Griffin or Landry Jones. See what I mean? Part of it is based on NEED.

I mean, if the scenario I mentioned actually happened, I wouldn't pass on a Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert, no. But I definitely would not draft a guy like Ponder or Locker if I thought I had somebody that could be just as good already on my roster.

Fruit Ninja
11-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Incredibly, a thread started by this brain-dead piece of human garbage is taken seriously.

Awesome. CP's street cred hovering near zero...

CP never had any cred. lol. Thats whats great about it. lol

htismaqe
11-19-2011, 05:32 PM

His deep ball isn't a rifle shot by any means but he can still make those throws. But like you said, on the short stuff he is nearly perfect alot of the time. He's the kind of guy that can help WRs accumulate YAC pretty quick.

O.city
11-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Who is that franchise guy? I guess that's the question for me. When I say I think it changes my decision making process, it doesn't change how I evaluate Andrew Luck or Barkley, for example. But it DOES change how I evaluate Robert Griffin or Landry Jones. See what I mean? Part of it is based on NEED.

I mean, if the scenario I mentioned actually happened, I wouldn't pass on a Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert, no. But I definitely would not draft a guy like Ponder or Locker if I thought I had somebody that could be just as good already on my roster.

This is my thinking. If the situation you described played out, I'd look at taking BPA in the first and maybe a qb later.

However if Barkley is there we most certainly should take him. He's my endorsement.

htismaqe
11-19-2011, 05:36 PM

That's the thing about Stanzi and the deep ball - while he might not always put his guy in position to continue a play, he can and will put the ball in a spot where it's not at risk. Alot of his picks were on shorter throws where he just wasn't wary of the DB jumping a route, hence the high number of returns for TDs.

Part of that is the QBs arm and part of that is having a WR with that "other" gear. Put it out in front and let your guy go get it. Stanzi doesn't have that kind of arm really, his deep balls have a higher trajectory, they tend to float a bit more.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Why would I want a coach that took 80 years to win a Super Bowl with all that talent at his fingertips? When you have a talent evaluating factory like the Steelers Betty White could win a Super Bowl eventually. IMO, Mike Tomlin isn't that good of a head coach and he got a Super Bowl victory like 3 years into this reign thanks to the rapist and that defense.

htismaqe
11-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Not a chance as with Cowher, Fisher would want roster control. Especially in light of the fiasco in Nashville as regards Vince Young. Kansas City will hire another up and comer. They barely spend money on players let alone a Head Coach. when was the last time Kansas City made a splash at Head Coach hiring? Schottenheimer, and anyone would sell their first born to not be living in Cleveland.

Actually Haley was one of the 2 or 3 hottest names in football when he was hired. And I think hiring Pioli qualifies as quite a bit more than just a "splash".

The idea they don't spend money on coaching is just not true, plain and simple. When Vermeil was here, they had the highest coaching payroll in football, partly because they paid good money and partly because Vermeil had a staff comparable to a small family circus...

cardken
11-20-2011, 12:33 PM
That's what I want a guy with an ascending resume. **** these retreads.

Where do you get ascending resume? Curious. He has won on every level, Player, Coordinator and Head Coach. I think he has something to do with all that success. I know it's UFL and all but it starts somewhere.
We can take a flyer on another teams Coaching staff or search through the pile for a tire with some tread left. And as far as Haley being a "splash", apparently Kansas City is impressed with a guy who coming in was a Scout and Wide Receivers coach and had only been an OC for a season, with Warner/Fitzgerald/Bolden in his arsenal.
Much like Norv Turner, anyone could have made the Cowboys an Offensive Juggernaut as he did with the talent he had. Aside a 1999 Playoff appearance with the Redskins, he has been a flop. He inherited a 14-2 Chargers team and has kept it "afloat.", in an increasingly weakened AFC West in that time.
Vermeil was a "friendly" hire of Peterson's. Much as Herm was. Lap Dogs for the King. Vermeil and Saunders had a great Offense, but like his Rams team before, only played one side of the ball. Vermeil another retread at the time. IMHO.

cardken
11-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Actually Haley was one of the 2 or 3 hottest names in football when he was hired. And I think hiring Pioli qualifies as quite a bit more than just a "splash".

The idea they don't spend money on coaching is just not true, plain and simple. When Vermeil was here, they had the highest coaching payroll in football, partly because they paid good money and partly because Vermeil had a staff comparable to a small family circus...

notice I said HEAD COACH hire. Not General Manager.

ChiefsCountry
11-20-2011, 04:37 PM

Vermeil and Herm Edwards were actually big name head coach hires and Chiefs paid big bucks on them.

cardken
11-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Vermeil and Herm Edwards were actually big name head coach hires and Chiefs paid big bucks on them.

Bad Investments happen to everyone. Vermeil was lured out of retirement and Herm had just been fired. Neither one considered to be coveted in the market. Except maybe ...Kansas City. "King Carl" needed his Philly-linked "lap dogs."

ChiefsCountry
11-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Bad Investments happen to everyone. Vermeil was lured out of retirement and Herm had just been fired. Neither one considered to be coveted in the market. Except maybe ...Kansas City.

Herm wasn't fired by the Jets, we traded a pick for him.

cardken
11-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Herm wasn't fired by the Jets, we traded a pick for him.

Sorry, my bad. Still bad investment

Okie_Apparition
11-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Cowher is too busy chasing pussy & finding a use for all that spit he generates