PDA

View Full Version : Football BCS

luv
11-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Fan or no?

Okie State goes down. Oregon goes down. Oklahoma goes down again. No stopping the SEC this year.

I'm a fan of the playoff system. Beats computers and "experts" picking who plays in the Championship game.

GloryDayz
11-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Fan or no?

Okie State goes down. Oregon goes down. Oklahoma goes down again. No stopping the SEC this year.

I'm a fan of the playoff system. Beats computers and "experts" picking who plays in the Championship game.

This... 'Nuff said!

Spott
11-19-2011, 11:11 PM
BCS is BS

Chiefs Pantalones
11-19-2011, 11:11 PM
The only fair way is a playoff. Get rid of the bowl system.

Chocolate Hog
11-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Sure as fuck made tonight fun!

Shogun
11-19-2011, 11:13 PM
the bcs just got shit on

Bearcat
This stuff happens every year, which makes for a crazy November... if only December/January were this good.

Buck
Under the current system, the Big East gets an automatic qualifier...so no, it's a piece of shit.

luv
11-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Next week, I am so rooting for Arkansas.

Baconeater
11-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Why would anyone be a fan of it?

Rudy lost the toss
11-19-2011, 11:49 PM
Next week, I am so rooting for Arkansas.

OU and Oregon losing makes this much less exciting.

bevischief
11-20-2011, 12:37 AM

That game that Nebraska didn't play today...

-King-
11-20-2011, 12:39 AM

This.

KC_Connection
11-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Fan of it, of course. It creates exciting regular season games each week and ensures a deserving national champion every year.

If LSU and Alabama do, in fact, play in January as it is set right now, it will be the best vs. the best. That is exactly what you should want out of a national championship.

Bowser
11-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Fan of it, of course. It creates exciting regular season games each week and ensures a deserving national champion every year.

If LSU and Alabama do, in fact, play in January as it is set right now, it will be the best vs. the best. That is exactly what you should want out of a national championship.

http://www.ilechoo.com/gallery/albums/gifs/mother-of-god.gif

Dr. Facebook Fever
11-20-2011, 01:32 AM
whats this bcs

ChiefsCountry
11-20-2011, 02:05 AM
Beats the hell out of the old system though, its not perfect by any means but it gets us for the most part a true champion.

BigMeatballDave
11-20-2011, 02:22 AM
Beats the hell out of the old system though, its not perfect by any means but it gets us for the most part a true champion.

Agreed, but less shitty is still shitty.

Mile High Mania
11-20-2011, 07:01 AM
As a Razorback fan, this LSU game couldn't have more meaning at this point... it's wild. And, it's @ LSU - puke.

GO HOGS

kstater
11-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Rematches shouldn't happen until there's a playoff in place.

DaKCMan AP
11-20-2011, 07:22 AM
The system works. Every game matters. The correct Champion has been crowned every year since the creation of the BCS National Championship Game.

Mile High Mania
11-20-2011, 07:26 AM
The system works. Every game matters. The correct Champion has been crowned every year since the creation of the BCS National Championship Game.

Yeah, as much as it sucks to say ... kind of hard to find issues with the rankings right now.

Mile High Mania
11-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Rematches shouldn't happen until there's a playoff in place.

Not sure there is really any logic in that statement...

Christofire
11-20-2011, 09:35 AM
It works great when there are two (and only two) undefeated teams. The rest of the time it is a disaster. Why do we need it again?

Brock
11-20-2011, 09:37 AM
If they're going to continue to play the title game on cable, there's obviously a problem with it.

LoneWolf
11-20-2011, 09:38 AM

2000-01 Miami and Washington
2001-02 Oregon
2003-04 USC
2004-05 Auburn

All of the above teams disagree with your statement.

milkman
11-20-2011, 09:47 AM

Your whole argument is that the best team can lose a game in the playoff system, for whatever reason, so the best team doesn't necessarily win the championship in a playff.

Your whole argument is flawed, because the best team could lose a game in the regular season and be eliminated from the BCS championship game consideration.

12 of one, a dozen of the other.

kstater
11-20-2011, 09:48 AM
Your whole argument is that the best team can lose a game in the playoff system, for whatever reason, so the best team doesn't necessarily win the championship in a playff.

Your whole argument is flawed, because the best team could lose a game in the regular season and be eliminated from the BCS championship game consideration.

His argument makes perfect sense. A loss in the regular season means they can't be the best team. A loss in the playoffs means the other team got lucky.

Saulbadguy
11-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Love it, mainly because of threads like this.

tredadda
11-20-2011, 09:56 AM
His argument makes perfect sense. A loss in the regular season means they can't be the best team. A loss in the playoffs means the other team got lucky.

So based off of that argument you are saying that OSU can't be one of the best teams in the country? How come we can't just say that they are but ISU just got lucky? Similar argument.

DaKCMan AP
11-20-2011, 09:59 AM
2000-01 Miami and Washington - Oklahoma won Orange Bowl
2001-02 Oregon - Miami won Rose Bowl
2003-04 USC - LSU won Sugar Bowl
2004-05 Auburn - USC won Orange Bowl

Those were not BCS National Championship Games. Know what you're talking about before interjecting in an argument.

GloryDayz
11-20-2011, 10:03 AM

So when you lose your game matters? I'd argue that in a playoff system you're playing better teams, so there's less chance that you're losing to a lesser team, quite the opposite in fact.

milkman
11-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm fairly certain there are some broken sarcasm meters in use.

LoneWolf
11-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Those were not BCS National Championship Games. Know what you're talking about before interjecting in an argument.

Yeah, dumbass. That was a list of teams that were screwed out of a chance to play for the national championship because of this BCS crap. That is why I stated that they would disagree with your assanine argument that the BCS has crowned a deserving champion every year.

kstater
11-20-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm fairly certain there are some broken sarcasm meters in use.

DaKCManAP is serious.

milkman
11-20-2011, 10:09 AM
DaKCManAP is serious.

Yeah.

I was making that observation in regards to reaction to your post.

luv
11-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Need Okie State to beat Oklahoma, or else it's almost a guaranteed LSU/Bama rematch.

Baconeater
11-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Need Okie State to beat Oklahoma, or else it's almost a guaranteed LSU/Bama rematch.
Great, I can't wait to see another 9-6 barnburner. :rolleyes:

tredadda
11-20-2011, 10:19 AM

More like Arkansas beating LSU.

Backwards Masking
11-20-2011, 10:48 AM
The BCS is part of college football tradition. Tradition means everything to college football, like many of it's 100 year old rivalries. It's not about money.

If it were about money, they'd be letting schools break up 100 year old rivalries for the sake of generating more revenue. And they'd also deny their fans of a fair playoff system just to make a few more bucks too.

Oh wait - that's what they do. I guess that's why I can't take college football seriously - it has as much intergrity as a hooker with a black eye and herpes busted turning tricks at the local police station while coming down from meth.

BigMeatballDave
11-20-2011, 10:59 AM

Easy for you to say, considering Florida has won at least twice under this format.

KCBOSS1
11-20-2011, 11:20 AM

We'll see after this weekend. Go hogs.

Garcia Bronco
11-20-2011, 11:32 AM
The entire regular season is a playoff.

kstater
11-20-2011, 11:33 AM
The entire regular season is a playoff.

Until the end of the season when computers pick the winners.

Bearcat
11-20-2011, 12:22 PM

Exactly... he was arguing a playoff gives the chance of random luck like VCU/KU, where the best team doesn't necessarily wins, but if it wasn't for this weekend's version of that game, we would still be on schedule to watch LSU vs Oklahoma State. I'd rather see a 'huge upset' in a 1 vs 4 or 1 vs 8 playoff matchup help determine the NC than a Friday night game in Ames, Iowa.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-20-2011, 12:27 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ipViuTlXr2o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaKCMan AP
11-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Yeah, dumbass. That was a list of teams that were screwed out of a chance to play for the national championship because of this BCS crap. That is why I stated that they would disagree with your assanine argument that the BCS has crowned a deserving champion every year.

LMAO Wow, I didn't think you were this stupid. When those teams were denied a title shot the BCS National Championship Game did not exist. The first BCS National Championship Game was in January 2007. Educate yourself, dumbfuck.

luv
11-20-2011, 12:38 PM
More like Arkansas beating LSU.

Arkansas beating LSU would be interesting.

Arkansas beats LSU beats Bama beats Arkansas. Okie State only having one loss would be interesting too, but it's to Iowa State.

Hey. Houston is undefeated, too. (/sarcasm)

LiveSteam
11-20-2011, 12:42 PM
LMAO Wow, I didn't think you were this stupid. When those teams were denied a title shot the BCS National Championship Game did not exist. The first BCS National Championship Game was in January 2007. Educate yourself, dumbfuck.

For real
In 2001. after the BCS computers tallied everything up & let the Nubs back into the Championship game against Miami. You are saying that was not a BCS NC title game?
So its only a BCS game/if an SEC team participates. I get it now

DaKCMan AP
11-20-2011, 01:08 PM
For real
In 2001. after the BCS computers tallied everything up & let the Nubs back into the Championship game against Miami. You are saying that was not a BCS NC title game?
So its only a BCS game/if an SEC team participates. I get it now

Some people don't have a clue..

Prior to the 2006-2007 season there were the 4 BCS bowl games and one of those was designated the national championship. Since 2006-2007 a BCS National Championship Game was created in ADDITION to the 4 BCS bowl games.

milkman
11-20-2011, 01:10 PM

Prior to the 2006-2007 season there were the 4 BCS bowl games and one of those was designated the national championship. Since 2006-2007 a BCS National Championship Game was created in ADDITION to the 4 BCS bowl games.

That's some awesome stupidity.

Setsuna
11-20-2011, 01:18 PM
There is no right way to do this. Because if there is a playoff system, there will always be an SEC team in it. Most likely 2 SEC teams, then what? Your argument will be...let's put them in the same bracket? Y'all are just haters. Get over it. Makes me sick.

milkman
11-20-2011, 01:20 PM
There is no right way to do this. Because if there is a playoff system, there will always be an SEC team in it. Most likely 2 SEC teams, then what? Your argument will be...let's put them in the same bracket? Y'all are just haters. Get over it. Makes me sick.

Anti-Freeze.

That'll cure your sickness.

Setsuna
11-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Anti-Freeze.

That'll cure your sickness.

Indeed it will, but you will always be incompetent.

milkman
11-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Indeed it will, but you will always be incompetent.

But I'll be alive and well.

Rudy lost the toss
11-20-2011, 01:32 PM

WTF? Why does this matter?

Setsuna
11-20-2011, 01:46 PM
But I'll be alive and well.

True...

DaKCMan AP
11-20-2011, 01:47 PM
WTF? Why does this matter?

Because my claim is that since the creation of the BCS National Championship Game they've always placed the two best teams and the best team has won the Championship. People were pointing out examples of how this statement was incorrect, but all of those examples (whether valid or not) were prior to the creation of the BCS National Championship Game, which is what my claim is based upon.

milkman
11-20-2011, 01:49 PM
True...

Even better, those if us that are incompetent are unaware of our own incompetence, so not only will I be alive and well, but I'll be blissfully ignorant.

It's a win-win.

milkman
11-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Because my claim is that since the creation of the BCS National Championship Game they've always placed the two best teams and the best team has won the Championship. People were pointing out examples of how this statement was incorrect, but all of those examples (whether valid or not) were prior to the creation of the BCS National Championship Game, which is what my claim is based upon.

Awesomely stupid technicallity.

Rudy lost the toss
11-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Baseless argument

luv
11-20-2011, 02:02 PM

So, what's your argument? You're an SEC fan. If there will always be a team or two in the bracket, then what's the point of your post?

Bearcat
11-20-2011, 02:05 PM

Only if you ignore the other undefeated teams, which is easy to do when your team plays in the SEC. Sure, a 13-1 Florida team went through a lot more than a 13-0 Utah, but that Utah team beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl by 2 touchdowns, similar to what Florida did in the SEC Championship game. And Texas' only loss was to a 1-loss Texas Tech team, and TT only had 1 loss to OU, who lost to Texas... so, really cut and dry, huh? And that's just one year... :shrug:

Bowser
11-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Only if you ignore the other undefeated teams, which is easy to do when your team plays in the SEC. Sure, a 13-1 Florida team went through a lot more than a 13-0 Utah, but that Utah team beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl by 2 touchdowns, similar to what Florida did in the SEC Championship game. And Texas' only loss was to a 1-loss Texas Tech team, and TT only had 1 loss to OU, who lost to Texas... so, really cut and dry, huh? And that's just one year... :shrug:

You shut your whore mouth! Florida won the championship, and that's all that matters! The RIGHT teams were there! LEAVE BRITTANY ALONE!!

kstater
11-20-2011, 02:11 PM
2000-01 Miami and Washington
2001-02 Oregon
2003-04 USC
2004-05 Auburn

'98 KSU team was absolutely the best team in the country that year. Would have rolled both Tennessee and Florida State.

DaKCMan AP
11-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Baseless argument

It's not baseless. The current system works. It's worked every year for the 5 years it's been in existence.

Baconeater
11-20-2011, 02:21 PM
I see DaKCdouche is being his usual douchebag self.

notorious
11-20-2011, 02:23 PM
I love how the current format really does make every game count.

However, it has screwed a few teams over.

Bearcat
11-20-2011, 02:40 PM
It's not baseless. The current system works. It's worked every year for the 5 years it's been in existence.

It works for Florida. If OSU didn't lose a Friday night game in Ames, the system would be on schedule to not work... glad the Cyclones could bail out the BCS like that.

Bearcat
11-20-2011, 02:42 PM
And of course, I'm sure Utah beating Alabama was just a fluke... too bad Utah couldn't have played Florida for the chance of two flukes in a row.

DaKCMan AP
11-20-2011, 02:46 PM
It works for Florida. If OSU didn't lose a Friday night game in Ames, the system would be on schedule to not work... glad the Cyclones could bail out the BCS like that.

How would it be on schedule not to work? If OSU doesn't lose it would be LSU/OSU in the game, and both would have deserved their spot.

DaKCMan AP
11-20-2011, 02:47 PM
I see DaKCdouche is being his usual douchebag self.

Translation: DaKCMan AP is right and I'm too stupid to make any counter-argument.

Guru
11-20-2011, 02:54 PM
the bcs just got shit on

not really. They probably love knowing they are going to get SEC teams.

Bearcat
11-20-2011, 03:09 PM
How would it be on schedule not to work? If OSU doesn't lose it would be LSU/OSU in the game, and both would have deserved their spot.

The few people defending the BCS are saying it works because LSU/Alabama are clearly the best two teams in the country, and now they're set to meet again (well, they control their own destiny, anyway). Sure, OSU would have deserved it, but the difference of an OT win or loss in Ames, Iowa doesn't validate or invalidate them from being one of the top two teams in the country (both kind of invalidate them, right?).

If someone's only argument for the BCS is that both teams are always deserving, they can look at 2007's cluster****, when both teams practically backed into the BCS. For the most part, I think teams in the championship game are deserving, but it doesn't mean they're the best two teams.

If someone's argument is that the two best teams are always in the NC game, they can can look at 2008, like I've already mentioned... or maybe 2009 with all the undefeated teams... or maybe last year with 3 undefeated teams going into bowl season.

And if someone's argument is that the BCS takes out the randomness of a playoff system, I wonder why the randomness of Ames, IA is better than the potential randomness of say, LSU vs VTech in a playoff matchup.

LiveSteam
11-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Even better, those if us that are incompetent are unaware of our own incompetence, so not only will I be alive and well, but I'll be blissfully ignorant.

It's a win-win.

LMAO

Rudy lost the toss
11-20-2011, 06:16 PM

The claim is valid. But argument is baseless unless you wanna argue that they have dramatically improved its rankings system since 1998. Adding an extra BCS game does nothing itself to improve the system since there have always been 1 v 2 NC games. Its effectiveness since 2007 is purely circumstantial.

BWillie
11-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Love the BCS. You don't get #4 seeds vs #9 seeds for the National Championship like college basketball. It puts the two MOST deserving teams head to head, what more could you ask for? The only time it doesn't work, is if there is at least 3 teams undefeated from major BCS conferences, which hasn't happened much. The only thing I would like added is a +1 game.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Nope, of course the majority of people that do like it are $$$$$EC fanboys.

Bearcat
11-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Love the BCS. You don't get #4 seeds vs #9 seeds for the National Championship like college basketball. It puts the two MOST deserving teams head to head, what more could you ask for? The only time it doesn't work, is if there is at least 3 teams undefeated from major BCS conferences, which hasn't happened much. The only thing I would like added is a +1 game.

There could be 4-8 teams in a football playoff, which makes the BB analogy ridiculous, since you're talking about 4-8 undefeated or one-loss teams (and maybe a 2-loss team here and there).

As far as most deserving... this year, if Arkansas beats LSU, there's really no good way to determine who is best between Arkansas, Alabama, and LSU, since they would all be 1-1 against the other 2. And there are years like last year, 2009, 2008, etc; where it's impossible to tell who the most deserving teams were.

As far as the number of undefeated teams, that hasn't really worked out well...
2011 - Potentially 2 undefeated teams, and one won't play for the NC.
2010 - 3 undefeated teams (two after the bowls)
2009 - 5 undefeated teams (two after the bowls)
2008 - 1 undefeated team (that didn't play in the NC game, and ended the season undefeated)
2007 - 1 undefeated team (Hawaii), and a complete cluster**** of 1 and 2 loss teams
2006 - 2 undefeated teams, and one didn't play in the NC game
2005 - Only two undefeated teams, and they played each other in the NC game!!! PBJ
2004 - 5 undefeated teams (three after the bowls)

LoneWolf
11-20-2011, 07:25 PM
'98 KSU team was absolutely the best team in the country that year. Would have rolled both Tennessee and Florida State.

But, but if there would have been an "official" National Championship game that year instead of a BCS bowl that was just considered the National Championship game, everything would have been OK in the world/DaKcDouche

KCChiefsFan88
11-20-2011, 08:02 PM

BCS puts the "two most deserving teams in the championship game"? Like in 2003 when Oklahoma went to the Championship Game despite getting destroyed by K State in the Big 12 Championship Game? Like in 2001 when Nebraska went to the Championship Game despite giving up 63 points in a loss to Colorado in their final regular season game?

And don't try the argument that the BCS makes the regular season more exciting. Most teams are playing for meaningless bowl game slots at this point in the season.

BigMeatballDave
11-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Translation: DaKCMan AP is right and I'm too stupid to make any counter-argument.

Dude. Florida has won twice in this format. Why else would you defend it?

BigMeatballDave
11-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Love the BCS. You don't get #4 seeds vs #9 seeds for the National Championship like college basketball. It puts the two MOST deserving teams head to head, what more could you ask for? Holy shit. How fucking stupid is this?

BigMeatballDave
11-20-2011, 08:15 PM
A play off is ALWAYS a better option to the BCS.

It's completely retarded for anyone to defend the BCS.

KCChiefsFan88
11-20-2011, 08:15 PM

It only "works" when you have two undefeated teams like last year playing in the championship game.

Otherwise it uses computers and voters to decide what should be decided on the field with a playoff.

KCChiefsFan88
11-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Dude. Florida has won twice in this format. Why else would you defend it?

Just wait until Florida gets screwed by the BCS. It will happen eventually.

That will end his BCS blow job.

LiveSteam
11-20-2011, 08:19 PM
If you like the BCS system you are GAY! just say-en

LiveSteam
11-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Probably a Democrat to

texaschiefsfan
11-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Please stop it with the "every game matters" meme. Yeah, that KU vs. ATM game had all the meaning in the world.

BigMeatballDave
11-20-2011, 08:28 PM
The BCS rulez! The NFL should adopt it.

Just put both #1s in the SB. Screw the playoffs.

BWillie
11-20-2011, 09:29 PM
The BCS rulez! The NFL should adopt it.

Just put both #1s in the SB. Screw the playoffs.

I like it. That 18-0 New England team was much better than the Giants. Shoulda just put them up against the next best team in line, called it good.

BigMeatballDave
11-20-2011, 09:36 PM
I like it. That 18-0 New England team was much better than the Giants. Shoulda just put them up against the next best team in line, called it good.

Please tell us you are joking

BWillie
11-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Please tell us you are joking

Not really, I actually like the "points" concept better than the BCS. Kind of like Nascar and the English Premier League (based on my understanding) do. But the BCS gets it right more than not, compared to a one game playoff system.

Put them up against the Peyton Manning Colts that year, would have been epic. Unless you are going to play a best-of-series, then I think the points or the BCS format is best. I like playoffs just fine if you are playing a best-of-series like the NBA and MLB because anything can happen in a one game series. Hell, Chiefs could beat Patriots tomorrow. Probably won't happen, but 1 out of 15 times it would.

LiveSteam
11-20-2011, 09:45 PM

Fuck that game!
I hate that game more than any football game ever played!
I would trade away everything Hood-E & Goldy-locks have done for the last decade.
Just for that 1 game & perfection. I will never get over that night.

BWillie
11-20-2011, 09:46 PM
**** that game!
I would trade away everything Hood-E & Goldy-locks have done for the last decade.

TBH, just saw that that Giants team was 12-4 regular season. Forgot about the wins they reeled off at the end of the season. I figured they were a 6 win team or something, but with that said, I think the other 3 loss and 4 loss teams had a better resume before the playoffs.

luv
11-20-2011, 09:56 PM
**** that game!

More than the Nebraska/Texas game two years ago?

Baconeater
11-20-2011, 09:59 PM
More than the Nebraska/Texas game two years ago?That game hardly bothered him.

BigMeatballDave
Not really, I actually like the "points" concept better than the BCS. Kind of like Nascar and the English Premier League (based on my understanding) do. But the BCS gets it right more than not, compared to a one game playoff system.

Put them up against the Peyton Manning Colts that year, would have been epic. Unless you are going to play a best-of-series, then I think the points or the BCS format is best. I like playoffs just fine if you are playing a best-of-series like the NBA and MLB because anything can happen in a one game series. Hell, Chiefs could beat Patriots tomorrow. Probably won't happen, but 1 out of 15 times it would.

NBA and NHL playoffs are WAY too long.

luv
That game hardly bothered him.

Really? So, it was just you? :p

LiveSteam
11-20-2011, 10:05 PM
More than the Nebraska/Texas game two years ago?

Ya /way more.
The most ultimate prize you could ever achieve in the NFL Was lost that night on a crazy catch. By a guy I had never heard of.
That Texas game was for a BCS bowl. Ya cant compare the 2.
1983 NU loose to Miami. That kind of loose & pain never goes completely away.

LiveSteam
11-20-2011, 10:09 PM
That game hardly bothered him.

It pissed me off. (I HATE TEXAS)But to me. it was just a game we lost. & we beat our selves when we kicked the ball out of bounds. I knew we had lost at that point. dont kick the ball out of bounds & that .00000000001 dont ever come into play.
If it had been a game that blew a perfect season. It would have been crushing!

Baconeater
11-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Really? So, it was just you? :p
Yeah I pretty much went off the deep end after that one.

Jerm
11-20-2011, 11:34 PM
It's gonna be hilarious when LSU and Bama play again for the BCS Championship...that will completely kill the complete BS argument of "every game matters" and "every week is like the playoffs".

There is simply not one reason why there shouldn't be a playoff...the games would still be exciting, you could make it work schedule wise, and it'd be a HUGE money maker. It baffles me as to why so many in CFB are viemently against it.

Baconeater
11-20-2011, 11:38 PM
It's gonna be hilarious when LSU and Bama play again for the BCS Championship...that will completely kill the complete BS argument of "every game matters" and "every week is like the playoffs".

There is simply not one reason why there shouldn't be a playoff...the games would still be exciting, you could make it work schedule wise, and it'd be a HUGE money maker. It baffles me as to why so many in CFB are viemently against it.
The only people who are against it are the people who make bank off of the bowl games, the coaches (despite what they say publicly), and DaKCdouche.

redgoldexpress
11-21-2011, 12:29 AM

You could also add in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl in a game that featured 12-0 Boise State against the 11-2 Sooners. Boise St. was an 7.5 point underdog. That game no one gave them a chance and look at how the program as risen. I feel like this should be the year that Houston could possibly do the same against a powerhouse school if they finish undefeated, if they win next week ( but we all know that the BCS will not allow that). The BCS is all about money and they will say that no one will want to see a LSU vs. Houston match up, and people would rather see a repeat of LSU vs. Bama. I would love to see that argument if Arkansas is able to beat LSU next weekend and Houston wins to be the only undefeated school in NCAA and not make the BCS Title game.

I have done a little bit of research and here are the average margins of victory this year for Houston, Bama, and LSU:
Houston 31.72 (11-0)
LSU 28.1818 (11-0)
Alabama 30 (10-1)

BWillie
11-21-2011, 01:06 AM

Whut? I think that would further support the BCS. What difference does it make if they are both from the same conference. Look, the SEC is by far the best football conference, or they wouldn't have won the BCS championship the last 5 years in a row. And the Big 12 and Big 10 teams even had the advantage of getting more teams in it due to them not having a championship game. If everything runs it's course, and Bama has 1 loss and LSU is undefeated, they SHOULD rematch.

Setsuna
11-21-2011, 02:02 AM
So, what's your argument? You're an SEC fan. If there will always be a team or two in the bracket, then what's the point of your post?

My point LUV is that people will always argue about whatever system is in place as flawed due to a certain group always winning. That's the argument now right? SEC has won 5 straight, better make it 6 straight. People want a playoff so that doesn't happen but it won't prevent it. You will get your playoff then hate it when the results are the same. That is my point. So just keep the BCS, and tweak it perhaps.

BigMeatballDave
11-21-2011, 02:11 AM
My point LUV is that people will always argue about whatever system is in place as flawed due to a certain group always winning. That's the argument now right? SEC has won 5 straight, better make it 6 straight. People want a playoff so that doesn't happen but it won't prevent it. You will get your playoff then hate it when the results are the same. That is my point. So just keep the BCS, and tweak it perhaps.

Whatever. Get off your high horse.

People want a play off because that is how it should be done.

KC_Connection
11-21-2011, 02:59 AM
Whut? I think that would further support the BCS. What difference does it make if they are both from the same conference. Look, the SEC is by far the best football conference, or they wouldn't have won the BCS championship the last 5 years in a row. And the Big 12 and Big 10 teams even had the advantage of getting more teams in it due to them not having a championship game. If everything runs it's course, and Bama has 1 loss and LSU is undefeated, they SHOULD rematch.
Exactly, this is why I have no problem with the BCS system. It rewards the teams that should be there and ensures a deserving winner.

Jerm
11-21-2011, 03:44 AM
What difference does it make if they are both from the same conference.

Uh it doesn't and I never said it did.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you're gonna say the BCS works because every week is a playoff yadda yadda yadda and then have your title game be a rematch of an earlier game that devalues that point.

The Packers don't beat someone like the Saints in the wild card round and then play them again the Super Bowl.

BWillie
11-21-2011, 04:12 AM
Uh it doesn't and I never said it did.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you're gonna say the BCS works because every week is a playoff yadda yadda yadda and then have your title game be a rematch of an earlier game that devalues that point.

The Packers don't beat someone like the Saints in the wild card round and then play them again the Super Bowl.

You must HATE the NBA, NHL, and MLB playoffs.

Jerm
11-21-2011, 05:57 AM
You must HATE the NBA, NHL, and MLB playoffs.

No I don't...because those leagues don't market themselves as "every game is a playoff game" or whatever BS that BCS honks spout.

I love a regular season and playoff format...wish it was in CFB.

Baconeater
11-21-2011, 06:42 AM
No, that's not the argument, idiot.

kstater
11-21-2011, 06:45 AM
No, that's not the argument, idiot.

Speak for yourself. I hate the BCS because I'm jealous of the SEC.

Baconeater
11-21-2011, 06:47 AM
Speak for yourself. I hate the BCS because I'm jealous of the SEC.
OK, but he's still and idiot.

moninghaly
11-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Fan or no?

so.............

chiefzilla1501
11-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Stupidest system ever. And the only defense of the system is so the crooked cronies in the NCAA can make more money. What kind of a stupid system puts two teams from the same conference in the national championship game? I don't care how tough the SEC is, if you don't win your own conference, why in the world should you advance to the finals?

DaKCMan AP
11-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Stupidest system ever. And the only defense of the system is so the crooked cronies in the NCAA can make more money. What kind of a stupid system puts two teams from the same conference in the national championship game? I don't care how tough the SEC is, if you don't win your own conference, why in the world should you advance to the finals?

So you were irate when Florida and South Carolina were in the CWS this past year or when Kansas and Oklahoma played for the NCAAB Championship in 1988 or when UNC won the NCAA Tournament in 2003 even though they weren't conference regular season or tournament champs?

eazyb81
11-21-2011, 07:51 AM
BCS is great for its intended cause: matchup the #1 and #2 teams in a national championship game.

The concept of "BCS games" is flawed though due to the automatic qualifiers, BCS tie-ins, and two-school limit per conference. Luckily, it appears these issues will go away when the current contract ends after the 2013 season.

DrunkBassGuitar
11-21-2011, 08:22 AM
I love the BCS so much I would do away with march madness and have computers and various robits determine the men's basketball champion every year.

BigMeatballDave
11-21-2011, 08:28 AM
So you were irate when Florida and South Carolina were in the CWS this past year or when Kansas and Oklahoma played for the NCAAB Championship in 1988 or when UNC won the NCAA Tournament in 2003 even though they weren't conference regular season or tournament champs?*

*Any and all arguments from this member are void due to bias.

DaKCMan AP
11-21-2011, 08:33 AM

*Any and all arguments from this member are void due to bias.

Dude, your schtick is tired. You need to get over ohio state's inability to win when it counts on the big stage against a superior conference. You'll be much happier once you accept it and move on.

BigMeatballDave
11-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Dude, your schtick is tired. You need to get over ohio state's inability to win when it counts on the big stage against a superior conference. You'll be much happier once you accept it and move on.

I have Zero issues there. In fact, the biggest reason OHIO STATE failed in those big games was mostly due to Tressel. I'm glad he's gone.

How are you going to deal with Meyer coaching OHIO STATE? :)

DaKCMan AP
11-21-2011, 09:02 AM
I have Zero issues there. In fact, the biggest reason OHIO STATE failed in those big games was mostly due to Tressel. I'm glad he's gone.

How are you going to deal with Meyer coaching OHIO STATE? :)

I'll be ok with it. I think he'll do great in the Big Ten but not so great when he has to play against the SEC in bowl/title games. I've spoken with many friends I have who are (unfortunately) ohio state fans and they pretty much agree.

I'd prefer he'd said he'd just rather coach elsewhere or not at Florida anymore instead of lie about spending time with his family, but it is what it is. I'm thankful for the Championships he won at Florida.