PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Drafting a QB

tredadda
11-20-2011, 07:05 AM
I know there is alot of talk about the draft order of QB's out there, but outside of Luck who is definately coming out? I know Barkley is a junior and might not declare and the same with RGIII. If they do not declare do people still want a first round QB this year? Especially if we draft in the Top 5-10. FWIW, I think RGIII is clearly better than Jones as I have seen Jones play on multiple occasions this year and he has been anything but impressive. This is with him slinging it all over the field to Broyles.

Fritz88
11-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Truly original and inspirational thread.
Posted via Mobile Device

hometeam
11-20-2011, 07:42 AM
They will all come out. Rarely does someone have a first round grade/chance and stay in.

milkman
11-20-2011, 07:44 AM
They will all come out. Rarely does someone have a first round grade/chance and stay in.

Just recently, Matt Leinhart, Sam Bradford and Andrew Luck come to mind.

notorious
11-20-2011, 07:46 AM

Beat me to it.

tredadda
11-20-2011, 08:00 AM
That is my biggest question.

1. Jones is a RS Junior
2. RGIII is a Junior
3. Barkley is a Junior.

Those three and Luck are the consensus top 4 QB's this year. If none declare besides Luck what do people want the Chiefs to do, especially if we are drafting Top 5-10? Do we try and go all in for Luck or do we pass on a 1st round QB this year? The second tier guys are Moore, Tannehill, and Foles. Do we take one of them in the 1st for the sake of drafting a 1st round QB or do we take one of them later in the draft and have them compete with Stanzi for the starting QB job?

This is a hypothetical scenario because none have stated their intentions yet, so there is no guarantee that any will declare or stay in school.

Dave Lane
11-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Seppuku.

lcarus
11-20-2011, 08:30 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'd be satisfied if we drafted ANY of the QBs listed in this thread so far...besides Landry Jones.

Reerun_KC
11-20-2011, 08:34 AM
No to Jones. Period.

milkman
11-20-2011, 08:37 AM
No to Jones. Period.

You know, I feel the same about Jones as you.

I just don't see what he brings that makes anyone think he's an NFL QB.

But even with that, I would not be pissed if that was the QB that Pioli drafted, for two reasons.

That would be the sure and certain signal that Pioli has reached the same (no brainer) conclusion that almost anyone with eyes can see.

And because I've been wrong before.

CoMoChief
11-20-2011, 08:51 AM
"draft a QB"

my response

"not gonna happen"

CoMoChief
11-20-2011, 08:58 AM
There are only a few QB's that I would like to have out of this next coming draft.

Luck
RGIII
Foles

Luck we have virtually no chance in getting, unless Pioli throws all of cards on the table and does something stupid to trade up to the 1st overall pick. That won't happen.

RGIII we probably have a chance drafting this guy, he may be around by the time we pick. But who knows, he may tear it up at the combine etc and may move up....who knows.

Foles we can pick, without having to spend a first round pick on a QB. Right now there are other major needs this team needs to address like Oline, Dline, safety depth, ILB, and more Oline

Caseyguyrr
11-20-2011, 09:55 AM
it makes way too much sense for the chiefs to draft a franchise quarterback, so logically it will never happen

Mr_Tomahawk
11-20-2011, 09:57 AM
http://www.ipetitions.com/

suds79
11-20-2011, 09:58 AM
I'll worry about the QB crop when and if those guys decide to stay.

They're all projected to go high. I'm not worried about it.

O.city
11-20-2011, 10:13 AM
You guys realize we are probably drafting top 5 this year?

jd1020
11-20-2011, 10:16 AM
You guys realize we are probably drafting top 5 this year?

I'm not sure how anyone can say that. We are drafting 12 right now and SOS isn't going to help us in any tiebreak we have.

Highly unlikely that the Chiefs lose out. I'd say the Chiefs win at least 2 more games and finish with 6 wins. Last year the first team to draft with 6 wins? 7th. Last team? 13th.

O.city
11-20-2011, 10:24 AM
There's no way we win 2 more games. Maybe 1.

Who are we gonna beat? All the teams that we could have beat during this stretch are playing pretty well right now.

Pats-Check
Steelers-check
Bears-check
Jets-not so much
Packers-double check

I don't see us beating the Raiders at home or the Broncos at home with God on their side.

O.city
11-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Even if Minnesota, Carolina, or Jacksonville are ahead of us, there is no way they are drafting a qb two years in a row in the first round.

jd1020
11-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Teams I think the Chiefs have a chance against:

Bears
Jets
Raiders
Broncos

jd1020
11-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Even if Minnesota, Carolina, or Jacksonville are ahead of us, there is no way they are drafting a qb two years in a row in the first round.

Indy
Miami
Seattle
Washington
Cleveland

Are all ahead of us in draft position right now.

There's no QB left in the first when the Chiefs draft if it happened today.

BigMeatballDave
11-20-2011, 10:29 AM
There are only a few QB's that I would like to have out of this next coming draft.

Luck
RGIII
Foles

Luck we have virtually no chance in getting, unless Pioli throws all of cards on the table and does something stupid to trade up to the 1st overall pick. That won't happen.

RGIII we probably have a chance drafting this guy, he may be around by the time we pick. But who knows, he may tear it up at the combine etc and may move up....who knows.

Foles we can pick, without having to spend a first round pick on a QB. Right now there are other major needs this team needs to address like Oline, Dline, safety depth, ILB, and more Oline

Barkley?

O.city
11-20-2011, 10:29 AM

Indy
Miami
Seattle
Washington
Cleveland

Miami,Seattle, and Washington will likely win 2 more games. The Dolphins are playing pretty well right now. Seattle just beat Baltimore.

I think we will be sitting there on draft day anywhere from 4-7 with one of the qbs on the board.

jd1020
11-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Miami,Seattle, and Washington will likely win 2 more games. The Dolphins are playing pretty well right now. Seattle just beat Baltimore.

I think we will be sitting there on draft day anywhere from 4-7 with one of the qbs on the board.

So they win 2 more games, tie the Chiefs, and win the tiebreak. Still ahead of the Chiefs in draft position...

Mr. Arrowhead
11-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Bears
Jets
Raiders
Broncos

ROFL you do know Palko is our QB for the rest if the season right
Posted via Mobile Device

jd1020
11-20-2011, 10:31 AM
ROFL you do know Palko is our QB for the rest if the season right
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL you do know Cassel got us 4 wins?

Mr. Arrowhead
11-20-2011, 10:32 AM
The only game we even have a chance in is the Broncos game
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins

Bears
Jets
Raiders
Broncos

With Tyler Palko at QB?

The Bears are gonna whip us silly and fuck us stupid. The Raiders look better every week, and the Jets game is in NY.

I'll give you a shot against Denver simply because Tebow is such a bad QB that they could lose to anyone.

BigMeatballDave

Indy
Miami
Seattle
Washington
Cleveland

Do you really think this team is gonna finish like 7-9?

They will be lucky to win 1 more.

O.city
11-20-2011, 10:33 AM

You know it was against four of the teams we will be competing with for a top qb in the draft.

Mr. Arrowhead
11-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Ya and Palko is 10 times worse, then add in the tough part of the schedule
Posted via Mobile Device

O.city
11-20-2011, 10:34 AM
With Tyler Palko at QB?

The Bears are gonna whip us silly and **** us stupid. The Raiders look better every week, and the Jets game is in NY.

I'll give you a shot against Denver simply because Tebow is such a bad QB that they could lose to anyone.

This.

This team was fucked the minute we lost our best players on both sides fo the ball.

jd1020
11-20-2011, 10:35 AM
You know it was against four of the teams we will be competing with for a top qb in the draft.

If by 4 you mean 2, then yes I do.

philfree
11-20-2011, 10:37 AM
So people are conceding a home loss to the Raiders?

O.city
11-20-2011, 10:37 AM
If by 4 you mean 2, then yes I do.

I meant for a draft spot to pick one.

It took an epic comeback for your qb to beat the worst team in the league.

jd1020
11-20-2011, 10:38 AM
I meant for a draft spot to pick one.

It took an epic comeback for your qb to beat the worst team in the league.

It's still only 2 teams and not 4... Raiders (Cincinnati) and Minnesota arent picking a QB not named Luck. It wouldn't matter if they were ahead of us...

Mr. Arrowhead
11-20-2011, 10:39 AM

Ya with Palko at QB I am, that and palmer will only get better
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
11-20-2011, 10:40 AM

Why not? They clocked us there last year.

tk13
11-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Brian Brohm is another guy who would've easily been a 1st round pick who stayed and tumbled down the charts.

Coogs
11-20-2011, 10:41 AM

Indy
Miami
Seattle
Washington
Cleveland

There are 13 head-to-head games on the schedule left for teams drafting ahead of us right now.

0-10 Colts have 2... Carolina at home, Jags on road
2-7 Carolina has just 1... at Colts
2-7 Miami has just 1... home vs Eagles
2-7 Rams have 3... home vs Seattle & Cards, at Seattle
2-7 Vikes have 1... at Washington
3-6 Skins have 3... Vikes at home, at Seattle & Eagles
3-6 Cards have 3... home vs Browns & Seattle, at Rams
3-6 Jags have 2... home vs Colts, at Browns
3-6 Eagles have 3... home vs Skins, at Miami & Seattle
3-6 Browns have 2... home vs Jags, at Cards
3-6 Seattle has 5... home vs Rams, Skins, Eagles, at Rams & Cards

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-20-2011, 10:41 AM
This.

This team was fucked the minute we lost our best players on both sides fo the ball.

This team was fucked the minute it thought it could compete with Matt Cassel as its QB.

It's amazing that it's taken people 1.5 years to see through the facade that last year's season was. It was patently obvious then.

This team should have two wins. From an injury standpoint, it's been unlucky. From how the games have played out on the field, and the injuries suffered by its opponents, it's been wildly lucky. You could make an argument that this team should have only one win.

philfree
11-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Ya with Palko at QB I am, that and palmer will only get better
Posted via Mobile Device

Week to week this league is so topsy turvy right now there is no way to know how things are going to play out.

O.city
11-20-2011, 10:44 AM
This team was ****ed the minute it thought it could compete with Matt Cassel as its QB.

It's amazing that it's taken people 1.5 years to see through the facade that last year's season was. It was patently obvious then.

This team should have two wins. From an injury standpoint, it's been unlucky. From how the games have played out on the field, and the injuries suffered by its opponents, it's been wildly lucky. You could make an argument that this team should have only one win.

This. I said it when they went down, but it might have been the best thing for the Chiefs in the long run that Charles and MO went down. Cassel would have leaned on Charles again this eyar and we would be sitting likely with 1 or 2 more wins this year.

The NFL is all about the qb. Plain and simple.

tredadda
11-20-2011, 10:56 AM
This team was ****ed the minute it thought it could compete with Matt Cassel as its QB.

They had to come back to beat Minn and I truthfully believe that had Minn started Ponder in that game we would have lost.

It took a historic comeback for us to beat Indy.

It took a highly rare fumble by Rivers for us to beat SD.

Looking at that, the only game where the result was not really in doubt was the Oakland game. Therefore we are very close to being a 1 win team when we had Cassel under center. I do not see how Palko is going to lead us to any wins when our "best" QB could only get us 4 against the weak part of our schedule.

chiefscafan
11-20-2011, 11:59 AM
ok i've changed my tune on barkley he isn't cassel 2.0 I've never seen cassel make some of the throws barkley did last night. Also his long throws had zip on them not hang in the air as cassels do.

so in no particular order we draft.

luck: fat chance we are to far down the draft
barkley: could be there determined on our record
rg3: unless as someone stated he lights it up at the combine

we would be in better shape with any of these three instead of cassel sorry cassel fans you need to wake up and smell the coffee . He is a game manager we need a nfl qb not a game manager.

now for the person who asked what do we do if we don't have a shot of either 3 or two go back to school this is what i do if I'm pioli and the chiefs.

I give a call to my buddy bill billeck (SP?) and say bill we will take your two late first rounders for our first.

then I draft the beast mlb we have been waiting for 6'4 265 lb Donta hightower from alabama the next ray lewis type of LB.

then the second first I take one of these positions FS, OT or NT, Most mocks say TJ Mcdonald I'd be good with that.

then draft the second tier QBs with the second pick or take jason campbell or kyle orton the backup in case cassel falters again.

This would make the D elite status and may make up for our qb deffeciency (sp?)

KChiefs1
11-20-2011, 12:08 PM
4-12 will be a top 5 pick.

lcarus
11-20-2011, 12:11 PM
4-12 will be a top 5 pick.

Yeah, we'll probably screw that up.

Priest31kc
11-20-2011, 12:13 PM
We'll go 6-10 at best, but most likely 4-12 or 5-11. Should be good enough for a Top 5 pick and RG3 should be on the board....

I wonder what this place will be like if Griffin is there and we pass for an OL or something....Ill be done with the Chiefs until we get a new GM.

lcarus
11-20-2011, 12:17 PM
We'll go 6-10 at best, but most likely 4-12 or 5-11. Should be good enough for a Top 5 pick and RG3 should be on the board....

I wonder what this place will be like if Griffin is there and we pass for an OL or something....Ill be done with the Chiefs until we get a new GM.

I totally can't see Pioli drafting RGIII. I'd be shocked if he did.

Coogs
11-20-2011, 12:52 PM

If RGIII is there when we pick, and we don't pick him (or another QB) then Pioli needs to go within seconds of the commish making the announcement.

suds79
11-20-2011, 01:00 PM

Yeah he isn't the prototype QB Scott typically goes after so it's probably a long shot... Although I still hope it happens.

Even Matt Barkley isn't necessarily the size I think Scott looks for. Wouldn't be surprised if Scott is probably eyeing a Nick Foles or someone like that.

DA_T_84
11-20-2011, 01:07 PM
RG3 is whiney and takes a looooong time to get up after he's hit.

I think durability is going to be the biggest issue with him.

Dude is super accurate, plays smart, and has balls of steel when it comes to making risky or tough throws.

jd1020
11-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah he isn't the prototype QB Scott typically goes after so it's probably a long shot... Although I still hope it happens.

Even Matt Barkley isn't necessarily the size I think Scott looks for. Wouldn't be surprised if Scott is probably eyeing a Nick Foles or someone like that.

Patriots drafted a 6'2'' QB in 2002.

Mecca
11-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Griffin is athletic sure, but as an NFL QB he's a project...I get that people get excited about him like they did Vick back in the day but is that really what the franchise should be build around?

suds79
11-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Griffin is athletic sure, but as an NFL QB he's a project...I get that people get excited about him like they did Vick back in the day but is that really what the franchise should be build around?

I like how Carolina has handled Cam Newton.

They run their system but have also kept in elements of the spread and plays he runs very well.

It's never been easier to play QB with today's NFL. The rule changes, the wide implementation of the spread (The Pats & Saints have been running it for years), I think RG3 could do very well.

Mecca
11-20-2011, 01:29 PM
I like how Carolina has handled Cam Newton.

They run their system but have also kept in elements of the spread and plays he runs very well.

It's never been easier to play QB with today's NFL. The rule changes, the wide implementation of the spread (The Pats & Saints have been running it for years), I think RG3 could do very well.

No matter how much it's added no NFL teams will go entire games without taking under center snaps.

JoeyChuckles
11-20-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm not sure how anyone can say that. We are drafting 12 right now and SOS isn't going to help us in any tiebreak we have.

Highly unlikely that the Chiefs lose out. I'd say the Chiefs win at least 2 more games and finish with 6 wins. Last year the first team to draft with 6 wins? 7th. Last team? 13th.

I would like to see a thread that updates our draft position on a week by week basis. That would be informative.

suds79
11-20-2011, 01:34 PM
No matter how much it's added no NFL teams will go entire games without taking under center snaps.

You're right. Certainly that'd be something they'd have to work out.

But lets not act like it's impossible to learn how to take snaps from under center. With as many spread offenses there are in college and with these guys going pro, it's something they all have to learn. It can be done.

suds79
11-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Just to continue the discussion of adapting to the NFL game...

Does anybody find it interesting that the golden child Andrew Luck will have quite the adjustment himself? I find it odd that the best QB prospect since John Elway is in a run first offense. An offense that runs it so well that it sets up an easy PA game. He routinely deals with 2nd & 5s, 3rd & 3s all day long.

So now he'll be the #1 pick where he will be asked to sling it all day on a bad team.

I by no means am saying he won't be great. He is the safest bet. I wish we had a shot at him. I'm just saying all these QB prospects will have to adapt to a different system for sure.

SNR
11-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Griffin is athletic sure, but as an NFL QB he's a project...I get that people get excited about him like they did Vick back in the day but is that really what the franchise should be build around?Griffin can play in the NFL. He's not exactly Tim Tebow.

whoman69
11-20-2011, 01:47 PM

That is my biggest question.

1. Jones is a RS Junior
2. RGIII is a Junior
3. Barkley is a Junior.

This is a hypothetical scenario because none have stated their intentions yet, so there is no guarantee that any will declare or stay in school.

RG3 is also a redshirt junior and is on a team that will not compete for a championship. Barkely is on a team that will still be on probation. Jones is the only potential player to stay IMO. Those listed who returned for their senior year were all returning for a potential championship.

Mecca
11-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Griffin can play in the NFL. He's not exactly Tim Tebow.

Ok I don't think he's Tebow. Vick isn't Tebow either and he hasn't been able to win anything...I prefer pocket passers history tends to favor them.

Mecca
11-20-2011, 01:48 PM
RG3 is also a redshirt junior and is on a team that will not compete for a championship. Barkely is on a team that will still be on probation. Jones is the only potential player to stay IMO. Those listed who returned for their senior year were all returning for a potential championship.

SC's probation ends after this year at least as far as going to bowls and competing for titles.