PDA

View Full Version : Misc Coaching Kids Problem

R8RFAN
11-25-2011, 11:35 PM
This is not my problem it is an internet friends problem. Tell me how you would handle the situation

I'd like to hear some of your viewpoints on this issue. Here's my dilemma.

I coach 6th, 7th, and 8th grade basketball. We had our annual draft to pick our players for this season. I ended up with the #1 overall pick. I picked, what I felt, was the most versatile player, and the one that would fit into my strategy. While at the draft, after all of the picking was completed, one of the league managers came over to see my roster while talking on the phone. Of course, it got my attention. It seemed as though the manager was trying to sell someone on why I picked this player first. After the call ended, I asked what that was all about. He explained that it was this players mother, and she said that if he wasn't playing on one of the other teams, (which had a few of his friends on it) he wasn't going to play at all.

I'm thinking....well here comes the politics entering into kids sports, which I deeply despise. One of the other league managers hinted about me letting him go to the team of his choice. I said "then what's the point of having a draft, if the parents get to stack a team the way that they want it"? They offered me a trade with that team, which in my opinion, didn't have the quality of player that I was looking for. I declined the offer, and said that as far as I was concerned, he was to play on my team or not play at all. All three league managers agreed with me.

The issue is this.....I coach because I love working with the kids and know that I can help them with their game. However, the player's mom drew a line in the sand when she said that he either plays on his friend's team or he won't play at all. I don't want to punish the kid, who is a great player, because of his mom's selfishness. But, I also don't want to cave in and trade him for a lessor player, just because momma is flexing her muscle. This is a classic case of politics in kids sports. And if we make a trade, which would be unfair to my players and unfair to the validity of a draft. And what kind of precedence would this set for future years? Would it end up being nothing but whining from parents every year until they get their sons on the team of their choice? What would the point be of having a draft, if the best players were going to end up on the same team anyway? Would there be any parody in the league, or would most games become boring blowouts? And would the blowouts help anyone other than the winning team?

The league managers have left the final decision up to me. And they have offered a "new" player as trading stock. But, I'm wondering if it's not a perfect time to teach mom and her son a lesson in life........that you don't always get what you want.

What would you guys do?

A) Say that you play for me or you don't play at all. (eliminating the politics and manipulation)

B) Trade him to the team of his choice, and not care who I get in return. (caving into the politics and manipulation)

C) Don't trade him, which keeps him out of the league, and accept the "new" player in exchange.

pr_capone
11-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Tough cookies. Kid plays on my team or he and mommy can kick rocks. There is a draft for a reason and mommy getting her way isnt one of them.

Perhaps if she had approached the matter in a different manner but if she is being a C about it then **** her. It isn't the coach punishing the kid... it is the mom.

listopencil
11-25-2011, 11:42 PM
You should trade him for Mark Hermann, Chris Hinton and the first pick of next year's draft. Can't go wrong.

Deberg_1990
11-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Why even have rules and organization if people are just going to ignore them when it doesnt suit them? Screw her.

Baconeater
11-25-2011, 11:44 PM
I bet that kid's mother is deeply in debt.

BigRedChief
11-25-2011, 11:47 PM
If this is a rec league and the players went into the draft knowing that they can;t choose their team.........

No fucking way you let him play for the other team. I'm sure there are "competitve" teams that mom will be happy on. He can play with his friends then.

Consistent1
11-25-2011, 11:49 PM
It's a bad situation in several ways. I doubt it was just the mom though. The kid was wanting his way just as much. Doesn't make her actions right, but doubt she came up with the idea all by herself. Hope you don't end up a trouble maker or attitude case if he does play for the team.

FAX
11-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Little league drafts are the most corrupt events since that snake dude told Eve that apples make your tittahs bigger.

FAX

Extra Point
11-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Why even have rules and organization if people are just going to ignore them when it doesnt suit them? Screw her.

THIS

Phobia
11-25-2011, 11:54 PM
If they want to play together so badly then let the other coach trade the other kid to this team for a lesser player. This is pure stupidity. You enter a draft knowing that there's no telling where you'll be picked and then sit out threatening not to play... Sounds like an Elway or a Manning family member.

Chiefs=Good
11-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Raiders suck!

Chiefaholic
11-26-2011, 12:02 AM
I think it would come down to the kids attitude. I had a similar problem a few years back, only the league told her she had to play on our team. She basically half assed it when she was on the court and hurt the team as a result. I was required to give equal playing time, and we still won in spite of her. However, if the kids heart isn't into it, there no need in dragging the team down as a result.

Chiefaholic
11-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Raiders suck!

This too

Thig Lyfe
11-26-2011, 12:04 AM
Trade for Matt Cassel!

TRR
11-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Its grade school basketball....Get over it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Valiant
11-26-2011, 12:05 AM
I would tell the mother that the way she is acting is the reason why we have the draft.

I would also tell her, if she insists on destroying the integrity of the league, then her and her son can play elsewhere..

Pestilence
11-26-2011, 12:08 AM
No....you can't trade Kyle Orton to the Bears.

Chiefs=Good
11-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Orton > Palmer

Chiefs=Good
11-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Herm > You

Jewish Rabbi
11-26-2011, 12:13 AM
I think it would come down to the kids attitude. I had a similar problem a few years back, only the league told her she had to play on our team. She basically half assed it when she was on the court and hurt the team as a result. I was required to give equal playing time, and we still won in spite of her. However, if the kids heart isn't into it, there no need in dragging the team down as a result.

That's not how boys (typically) act though.

mikey23545
11-26-2011, 12:32 AM
So he doesn't play for you guys and you Suck For Luck.

Fish
11-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Tell over-entitled mom to eat a bag of green dicks. Rules is rules.

Al Czervik
11-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Little league drafts are the most corrupt events since that snake dude told Eve that apples make your tittahs bigger.

FAX

Mr. FAX is correct

Rain Man
11-26-2011, 01:17 AM
This is how Elways are born. You go to the team that drafted you, and you say, "Thank you, sir, for drafting me."

Consistent1
11-26-2011, 01:30 AM
That's not how boys (typically) act though.

I don't know. It still seems that the kid has to have whined about it. Jr High mothers are unlikely to have that much interest in that type of basketball league. She's guilty of reinforcing and encouraging bad traits though .

Jewish Rabbi
11-26-2011, 01:38 AM
I don't know. It still seems that the kid has to have whined about it. Jr High mothers are unlikely to have that much interest in that type of basketball league. She's guilty of reinforcing and encouraging bad traits though .

Oh no doubt. But once he gets on the court, I doubt he continues to be a little bitch. If so, fuck him anyway.

Joe Seahawk
11-26-2011, 01:49 AM
I coached little league baseball for 8 years, I think it's cool when buddies can play together and tried my best to make that happen. Never had my first pick threaten not to play if (....) I would straight up tell the kid that you drafted him because you believe he has the most talent and potential, If he is not willing to play 100% like the rest of your team than you don't want him.. That will work. trust me..

NewChief
11-26-2011, 07:49 AM
If they want to play together so badly then let the other coach trade the other kid to this team for a lesser player. This is pure stupidity. You enter a draft knowing that there's no telling where you'll be picked and then sit out threatening not to play... Sounds like an Elway or a Manning family member.

I was going to suggest making the trade with the condition that he has to put "Manning" on his jersey.

threebag02
11-26-2011, 07:56 AM
He plays where he is drafted. If he wanted to be protected in a draft then she should coach him. If she is HOTT and wants to talk about it I'd be all in. TDIGTSI.

HonestChieffan
11-26-2011, 08:00 AM
More evidence that society is nearing bottom

cabletech94
11-26-2011, 08:18 AM
He plays where he is drafted. If he wanted to be protected in a draft then she should coach him. If she is HOTT and wants to talk about it I'd be all in. TDIGTSI.

THIS. why isn't this bitch a coach. sounds like her testicles are plenty big enough.

Bwana
11-26-2011, 08:21 AM
This one is easy. The kid plays where he was drafted, or he can sit out and not play. The kid and his mommy either connect the dots now, or Jr is in for a hard reality check, when he gets older and mommy isn't there to protect him.

Mommy needs to stfd and stfu and Jr needs to grow a pair and figure out life isn't an MTV video.

Baconeater
11-26-2011, 08:23 AM
More evidence that society is nearing bottom
Yeah, because the actions of one kid and his mother are most certainly an accurate reflection of society as a whole.

DJay23
11-26-2011, 08:27 AM
I always found when I played sports as a kid, and even now, that I want to beat my friends worse than I want to beat people I don't know.

PRIEST
11-26-2011, 08:32 AM
Tell over-entitled mom to eat a bag of green dicks. Rules is rules.

THIS

blaise
11-26-2011, 08:35 AM
I would make him play where he was drafted. If she needed a response I would tell her that a lot of kids want to play with their friends, and certain players would no doubt like to be paired on the same team. However, it's not fair for other kids who didn't request to be paired with friends, and instead chose to follow the rules. If you start making accommodations for one, then it's not fair to not do it for another.
If the parent really wants to draw a line in the sand, let her. If she sits him she'll be the one punishing the player, not you. And once the kid starts playing I would think he would forget about it. Besides, part of the goal of youth sports is learning teamwork, and learning lessons about overcoming adversity. If he just wants to play with his friends he could have done that at the playground. If she's wanting to pick and choose for him, or if he doesn't want to play because of his team, then I would say they're completely missing the point of youth sports.

WhiteWhale
11-26-2011, 08:45 AM

FAX

This X100

blaise
11-26-2011, 09:00 AM
I have a book called Little League Confidential, by Bill Geist. In it he says one of the coaches in his league would pick all these crummy players and he was like, "Why is he doing that?" Some other coach told him, "He picks the players with the hottest moms."

tredadda
11-26-2011, 09:10 AM
The kid was drafted to play for a certain team. If he is unwilling, then let him sit outand play for no one. This is not like pro sports where big money is involved. If he and his mom were to get away with forcing a trade to the team of their choice then it sets a bad precedent and defeats the purpose of a draft.

tredadda
11-26-2011, 09:10 AM
I have a book called Little League Confidential, by Bill Geist. In it he says one of the coaches in his league would pick all these crummy players and he was like, "Why is he doing that?" Some other coach told him, "He picks the players with the hottest moms."

ROFL

R8RFAN
11-26-2011, 09:12 AM
This one is easy. The kid plays where he was drafted, or he can sit out and not play. The kid and his mommy either connect the dots now, or Jr is in for a hard reality check, when he gets older and mommy isn't there to protect him.

Mommy needs to stfd and stfu and Jr needs to grow a pair and figure out life isn't an MTV video.

Excellent, sent a few of these to him as quotes.

Thanks for all the replies to this tough situation .... I agree , the kid needs to sit.

Predarat
11-26-2011, 09:32 AM
I think the kid needs to sit, if all his friends want to play on the same team there are plenty of leagues that do it that way. That was the first round pick. The only way to let him go to that team is a trade that favors his team.

Shaid
11-26-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm shocked they even have a draft for grade school basketball. Seems idiotic to me. I also think if they are trying to say he needs to play on his friends team than the friend should come to yours for a fair draft pick.

Your other option if you chose to do this would be to let him go to the other team in exchange for their next year number 1 pick so you'd essentially stack your team the next year. That starts to sound way too much like fantasy football though and your talking about a bunch of kids. I mean, imagine the kid that was drafted last, how does he feel? I'd never even allow my kid in a league like that.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Convince Wade, Bosh, and LeBum to take thier talents...

Seriously though...they should not give in to these kind of tactics. If the kid won't play for that team, he doesn't play. PERIOD.

Brock
11-26-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm shocked they even have a draft for grade school basketball. Seems idiotic to me. I also think if they are trying to say he needs to play on his friends team than the friend should come to yours for a fair draft pick.

Yes, that's silly. Teams should just be generated randomly.

In any case, the kid should either play for the team he's told to, or don't play at all. I don't agree that the mother is the one driving this, she's just backing up her kid who's whining about the team he has to play for.

boogblaster
11-26-2011, 11:55 AM
get another kid .. coach the hell outta ya team and beat her team with hussle good plays and defense ....

R8RFAN
11-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Yes, that's silly. Teams should just be generated randomly.

In any case, the kid should either play for the team he's told to, or don't play at all. I don't agree that the mother is the one driving this, she's just backing up her kid who's whining about the team he has to play for.

Absolutely, Problem solved

jspchief
11-26-2011, 12:07 PM
How about inviting the mom and player to meet with you to discuss the situation. At which time you explain to both of them that the rules are in place for a reason and they apply to all the participants, wouldn't be fair to the other players, starts a trend that you don't want to start, etc. Perhaps explain the value in learning to interact with new faces, playing under adverse conditions, etc.

At that point, if the mother says "my way or the highway", at least the kid knows where the decision for him to not play is coming from.

Pasta Giant Meatball
11-26-2011, 12:14 PM
It opens up a new can of worms if they do let him go to another team. Then any little shit that wants to switch has to be allowed to as well. Set clear cut rules, communicate them before the "draft process" starts every year, and stick to them.

Thig Lyfe
11-26-2011, 12:15 PM
How competitive is this league?

Phobia
11-26-2011, 12:20 PM
How about inviting the mom and player to meet with you to discuss the situation. At which time you explain to both of them that the rules are in place for a reason and they apply to all the participants, wouldn't be fair to the other players, starts a trend that you don't want to start, etc. Perhaps explain the value in learning to interact with new faces, playing under adverse conditions, etc.

At that point, if the mother says "my way or the highway", at least the kid knows where the decision for him to not play is coming from.

Best suggestion so far.

KCBOSS1
11-26-2011, 12:34 PM
I haven't read all of the comments, but here's the thing: If you let him go, what does that say to all of the other teams, to the other kids, to the kids on your team, to the manipulating parents. Let him quit. If he plays, but doesn't show effort, let him ride the pine. Stay honest, stay kind, and speak the truth. It's a matter of principle and I'm sorry that spoiled parents grow spoiled kids and jack up sports for everybody if we let them. I've been in a few similar situations.