PDA

View Full Version : Non-QB 1st Rounder

Urc Burry
12-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Let me start off by saying I ABSOLUTELY want one of RG3 or Barkley. But with where we are going to be drafting behind the dolphins and redskins I don't think its going to happen unless we trade up. And that is doubtful for me :harumph:

Really I think there are only three options... Trent Richardson, Vontaze Burfict, or the best available Offensive Lineman.

Normally I am against taking a running back in the top 10, but I think Richardson has a chance at being the #1 back in the league. And we are not sure how Charles will come back in year 1 from an ACL injury. That combo would be nasty for years to come.

Vontaze Burfict recently got benched because of back to back personal foul penalties, but man he is the ideal thumper in Romeo's defense. He would be a high risk high reward type of player. I love Belcher, he's been a nice surprise but I think he is more of a rotational player on most teams. With Burfict I think our LB corp would compete with the Steelers of a few years ago.

Best available lineman is pretty obvious. I'm not sure if a RT is worth taking that high and a center/guard sure as hell isn't, but it is a huge need.

NT is certainly an option but I think there will be some quality ones in the second round.

So what are your guy's options at a non-qb position?

jd1020
12-04-2011, 06:09 PM
If Luck, Barkley, and RG3 are off the board before the Chiefs pick my top picks would be

1) Tannehill - I think he's got a lot of potential. He's a mobile QB with a lot of room to grow. He's only been at QB for what? 2 seasons and he's already expected to be a 1st round QB?
2) Landry Jones - Say what ever you want about him, he's got the tools you look for in a franchise QB. He doesn't need to come in and start day 1. You can sit him behind Cassel/Orton for a year and develop him.
3) Riley Reiff - Brich is embarassing.
4) Justin Blackmon - A franchise-trade of Bowe could net us a lot to better the team. Cleveland needs a WR and with either of their firsts we could likely still have a shot at either Tannehill/Jones. Plus an extra mid round pick to go after a TE/NT/G/OT.
5) Morris Claiborne - Will Carr be resigned?

aturnis
12-04-2011, 11:33 PM
If Luck, Barkley, and RG3 are off the board before the Chiefs pick my top picks would be

1) Tannehill - I think he's got a lot of potential. He's a mobile QB with a lot of room to grow. He's only been at QB for what? 2 seasons and he's already expected to be a 1st round QB?
2) Landry Jones - Say what ever you want about him, he's got the tools you look for in a franchise QB. He doesn't need to come in and start day 1. You can sit him behind Cassel/Orton for a year and develop him.
3) Riley Reiff - Brich is embarassing.
4) Justin Blackmon - A franchise-trade of Bowe could net us a lot to better the team. Cleveland needs a WR and with either of their firsts we could likely still have a shot at either Tannehill/Jones. Plus an extra mid round pick to go after a TE/NT/G/OT.
5) Morris Claiborne - Will Carr be resigned?

Who the fuck told you Tannehill was expected to be a first rounder? Highest I've ever seen him ranked is 2nd round.

Direckshun
12-05-2011, 12:25 AM
I think you have to at LEAST take a chance with Landry Jones, if you can. That probably means you have to start Cassel another year, or heaven forbid, resign Orton and cut Cassel.

I would prefer us not to go tackle. We simply don't need to. But it's possible that we do, of course, because Pioli likes safe picks.

I don't see us going WR at all, it doesn't improve the team enough and we're going to resign Bowe. With Brandon Carr out the door, however, I could see us opting for any number of corners, disappointing as that may be (Kirkpatrick will be good value at our pick).

I also believe Trent Richardson would be a brilliant pick for this team if we don't go QB. That would give us Richardson, Charles, McCluster, Bowe, Breaston, Moeaki, and Baldwin. Sick talent all around.

So if Luck, Barkley, and RG3 are all off the board by our pick (they will be...), my board about about the tenth or eleventh pick:

1. QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma
2. RB Trent Richardson, Alabama
3. OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford
4. OLB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
5. CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
6. ILB Luke Kuechly, Boston College
7. WR Alshon Jeffrey, South Carolina
8. OT Riley Reiff, Iowa

That's about it.

jd1020
12-05-2011, 01:50 AM
Who the **** told you Tannehill was expected to be a first rounder? Highest I've ever seen him ranked is 2nd round.

He's a borderline 1-2 round pick and I've seen him mocked as high as 12th to the Broncos.

The Senior Bowl/combine will ultimately decide where he ends up being drafted but he is still my #4 ranked QB...

1) Luck
2) Barkley
3) RG3
4) Tannehill
5) Jones
6) Cousins
7) Moore
8) The field

spanky 52
12-05-2011, 05:16 AM
I'm afraid we've played ourselves out of the QB chances. If we're still in the top 10 look for Pioli to take Richardson.

Nightfyre
12-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Richardson is a perfect player. He would be tough to pass up, but a RB in the first round? I would have reservations.

aturnis
12-05-2011, 07:09 PM
He's a borderline 1-2 round pick and I've seen him mocked as high as 12th to the Broncos.

The Senior Bowl/combine will ultimately decide where he ends up being drafted but he is still my #4 ranked QB...

1) Luck
2) Barkley
3) RG3
4) Tannehill
5) Jones
6) Cousins
7) Moore
8) The field

By who? A message board fanboy?

O.city
12-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Don't get the Tannehill love on this board.

jd1020
12-05-2011, 08:16 PM
By who? A message board fanboy?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock

They both had him going to DEN a while back. Looks like one dropped him out of the first.

jd1020
12-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Don't get the Tannehill love on this board.

You've probably never watched him. His athleticism at QB is 2nd fiddle only to RG3.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9BATjEpA6nA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C2heGLAjiDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b4yuaF8uRPQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

... Really nothing to like about the guy :rolleyes:

O.city
12-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Oh I've watched him alot.

I just wouldn't consider him a first rounder.

I'd also say he's a long shot to become a franchise qb.

O.city
12-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Did you watch the Arkansas highlight before posting?

jd1020
12-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Did you watch the Arkansas highlight before posting?

None of those are "highlights." And yes, I have watched them many times.

Tell me what about those "highlights" you don't like.

His ability to run?
His ability to pass on the run?
His arm?
His anticipation?
His progression through the coverages?

Or are you fixated on the 1 interception? Because I can show you an uglier interception your golden boy RG3 threw against A&M

aturnis
12-05-2011, 10:28 PM
You've probably never watched him. His athleticism at QB is 2nd fiddle only to RG3.

... Really nothing to like about the guy :rolleyes:

Nobody said they wouldn't take him. Just don't want anything to do with him in the first round. Second, or third maybe, first, no. I'd actually prefer to wait and take him over a guy like Jones. While I like RGIII, I'm hesitant to waste time with an athlete playing QB, same goes for Tannehill. I like my QB to be a QB first, and an athlete third.

O.city
12-05-2011, 10:32 PM
One thing about RGIII is that he is a throw first guy that can run.

And being a semi Hogs fan I remember him being ok in that Arkansas game. Wasn't flashy but got the job done.

aturnis
12-05-2011, 10:48 PM
70/30 pass/run for RGIII. That's Tebow territory. These guys put too much stress on their bodies for my liking...

O.city
12-06-2011, 07:19 AM
I just see RGIII as a little different runner. He is a pass first guy. Tebow will not ever be a 7030 guy. RGIII runs when the play breaks down.

He also has designed runs, which in the spread is the norm.

Don't get me wrong I don't want him running near that much in the NFL but I do like that ability to make plays.

Nightfyre
12-06-2011, 07:50 AM
I just see RGIII as a little different runner. He is a pass first guy. Tebow will not ever be a 7030 guy. RGIII runs when the play breaks down.

He also has designed runs, which in the spread is the norm.

Don't get me wrong I don't want him running near that much in the NFL but I do like that ability to make plays.

This. your eyes serve you well.

philfree
12-06-2011, 09:36 AM
I thought this thread was about non QB 1st rounders. Looks like another RG3 thread to me.

We all want a QB but this draft seems to have alot of talent in it that meets some of our other needs. ILB and NTs on D and some good O line talent with a few bluechip Gs and some good OTs. Then there's Richardson at RB. With the QB dream floundering we may be forced to look at the options.

Richardson could have a big impact for our O. He fits what we've been doing on O so if he's there when we pick he'd be a great git.

After that we need to shore up the trenches. Our D is really close to being really good. A true stud added in at NT, ILB or maybe both could put our D over the top. It'd be nice to have a D we could count on every week.

Then there's the O line and although you don't want to take a G in the first round there are few that may be worthy. DeCastro or Glenn could step in and start moving Hudson to C we'd have what should be a young interior that would be really good for the next handful of years. I wouldn't make a pick like that unless we end up drafting 15th or so. Which with one more win it's a strong possibility.

It's not much better then treading water but if we let Carr go for some compensation there are some really good CBs to choose from. With the picks we get for Carr we could try and fill some of our voids. I'd rather keep Carr but this is a possibility.

Besides a QB IMO Richardson an ILB or Stud NT would have the biggest impact on this team.

jd1020
12-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Well... a couple RG3 nuthuggers turned it into a RG3 thread. It was originally a Non-QB 1st round thread but that was based on Luck/Barkley/RG3 off the board. There are still QB's to be had after them that a first round pick would not be wasted on.

O.city
12-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Don't want Tannehill in the first. Second fine.

I like Richardson alot but I think there are rbs later in the draft.

There are alot of ways we could go in the draft and not be a bad decision.

Burfict wouldl be pretty intriguing.

Urc Burry
12-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Don't want Tannehill in the first. Second fine.

I like Richardson alot but I think there are rbs later in the draft.

There are alot of ways we could go in the draft and not be a bad decision.

Burfict wouldl be pretty intriguing.

That's my thinking. I don't want to throw a first at a QB just because we can. He may not be any better than Stanzi.

Although I think Richardson is the real deal, and we still aren't sure how JC comes back. We will probably still be a run first team next year.

Man with Derrick Johnson, Hali, Houston, and throw in Burfict. That has to rival the steelers of a few years back.

Nightfyre
12-06-2011, 12:29 PM
I like Tannehill. But the only way I'd go for him is if RG3 was so far out of reach it wasn't feasible to trade up. Trouble is, if we are that far down, we will have to use our first on Tannehill. I can see Tannehill going to Washington AHEAD of Landy Jones. Shanahan loves QBs who can throw on that bootleg and with strong arms. I wish I knew more about his intangibles. (Leadership, work ethic, intelligence, etc.)

O.city
12-06-2011, 06:32 PM
I think Richardson would be a good pick and would fill a need for this team. Can never argue when that happens.