PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs need to stop searching for a new head coach

Sam Hall
12-18-2011, 02:14 PM
It's got to be Romeo Crennel. He earned it this week and today.

jd1020
12-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Crennel is still 64 years old with health concerns.

I don't think it would be wise for Pioli to hitch his wagon to him and ultimately be looking for another HC in a few years no matter what the Chiefs do under Crennel.

ArrowheadHawk
12-18-2011, 02:15 PM
I second this motion. May his second shot be as good as Belichick

Fritz88
12-18-2011, 02:16 PM
He wins the next two games in a good fashion. I am in.

SenselessChiefsFan
Hey, I like Crennel more than most.

But, one game at home against the Packers is not enough to secure the job. But, I think he is 10x the HC that Haley is.

Dante84

I don't think it would be wise for Pioli to hitch his wagon to him and ultimately be looking for another HC in a few years no matter what the Chiefs do under Crennel.

good thing he won't see any action on the field...

KCtotheSB
12-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Hey, I like Crennel more than most.

But, one game at home against the Packers is not enough to secure the job. But, I think he is 10x the HC that Haley is.

Turd in the punch bowl.

jd1020
good thing he won't see any action on the field...

Good thing a coach devotes more of his life to the team than the players...

ChiefsandO'sfan
Crennel HC and mcdummy as oc

petegz28

Yes, let's see how we look the next 2 weeks. If he has this team looking close to the way they played today I'd say WTF?

FringeNC
Cut Cassel now.

Sutter Cane
I'm not so sure. Sure they looked great today, but I'd wait to see what the team does with the rest o the season before making a decision. Still, beating the best team in the NFL is a good sign.

TRR
12-18-2011, 02:18 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that Crennel should be given a shot. His Defense has kept KC in quite a few this year that they had no business being in.

Give the guy a shot. Players respect him.
Posted via Mobile Device

jd1020

I would go with that with the assumption that McDaniels would be groomed for HC when Crennel bows out.

Fumblerooski
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2011/09000d5d82529553_gallery_600.jpg

Dante84
Good thing a coach devotes more of his life to the team than the players...

Bill Snyder thinks you are being silly.

Graystoke
12-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Wait for bump in one year

mnchiefsguy
12-18-2011, 02:20 PM

If the Chiefs play like they played today, they will win at least one.

Romeo had the guys ready to play today. They were better prepared, and played with fire.

Chiefs might not win the next two, but I don't see them being embarrassed either.

Chiefs not only won, but held the Packers to their worst point total of the season. Defense came through big time today.

Jerm
12-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Pioli has to be grinning ear from ear now...

His wet dream of Crennel/McDumbass/Cassel will probably come to fruition now.

Shag
12-18-2011, 02:21 PM
After one game? Nothing like a knee-jerk hire...

The Bad Guy
12-18-2011, 02:23 PM
I can completely see a scenario where McDaniels is brought in here to be the OC, they give Romeo a 3 year deal and McDaniels takes over after that.

The Bad Guy
12-18-2011, 02:24 PM

Cassel can't be the starter again.

Spott
12-18-2011, 02:26 PM
He is now 25-40 as a HC.

aturnis
12-18-2011, 02:27 PM
It's more likely we see Crennel/McDaniels now. This win and change in the offense is all on Orton though. Same offense, same calls, different QB. If Cassel isn't gone, something is wrong. Very wrong.

RINGLEADER
12-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Crennel showed he can keep the team together, motivate them, and get them to play at a high level on both sides of the ball. If he wins out I would consider him.

aturnis
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2011/09000d5d82529553_gallery_600.jpg

Rocking the ReeZigs.

Jerm

Oh I agree...but it's Pioli we're talking about.

I'd actually be ok with Romeo/new OC/Orton but I think the idea of getting the band back together is toouch for Pioli.

Guru
12-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Depends. If we letdown against Chokeland and Dungver then he doesn't deserve squat

O.city
12-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Could MCD actually come in and develop Stanzi?

Didn't Brady give the guy alot of credit for his development? But I could def. see this going down.

Honestly as long as Cassel is gone i'm fine iwth it. People are gonna bitch that the wr don't get open for Cassel like tod ay or some bs. How many times did Orton come off his 1st option and find a WIDe open 2 or 3 option?

A decent mediocre to good qb make this offense look like that today. What does a franchise qb make this offense do with JC and Mo back next year?

DTLB58
12-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Depends. If we letdown against Chokeland and Dungver then he doesn't deserve squat

Exactly. Let's not have a knee jerk reaction and base the franchises future on one game.

O.city
12-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Gotta give props to a defense today that held a record setting offense down.

Daniels and Langford are proving to be decent depth options.

I will say that this defense with a NT and Berry back could be very very scary.

scho63
12-18-2011, 02:44 PM
One game does not make the career of the HC or the QB. If we lose next week by 20 and Orton throws 4 INT's everyone's attitude will quickly change.

Let's hope for the best!

Psyko Tek
12-18-2011, 02:48 PM
I would go with that with the assumption that McDaniels would be groomed for HC when Crennel bows out.

that is what scares me, but he would have a built in hate for the donks

Sam Hall
12-18-2011, 03:11 PM
I don't think it's a knee-jerk reaction when Crennel is the best coach we could hire. We've heard the rumored names (McDaniels and Ferentz). I'd rather have Crennel.

dallaschiefsfan
12-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Knee jerk reaction. It was a good win and should be enjoyed. Romeo is not the answer, though. Hopefully, Clark understands this and keeps his veto pen handy.

eazyb81
12-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Could McDaniels come in and work with Orton? I thought there was friction between the two of them after McD drafted Tebow.

My biggest fear is bringing in McD to try to work with Cassel some more. Pioli needs to cut bait now and move on.

eazyb81
12-18-2011, 03:44 PM
I don't think it's a knee-jerk reaction when Crennel is the best coach we could hire. We've heard the rumored names (McDaniels and Ferentz). I'd rather have Crennel.

Also have to consider the possibility Crennel would leave if he doesn't ge the HC job, which could be a huge step back for this defense.

Sam Hall
12-18-2011, 03:58 PM
If not Crennel, I'd like to know who's better and who we could realistically get.

DenverDanChiefsFan
12-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Exactly. Let's not have a knee jerk reaction and base the franchises future on one game.It is a good thing CP isn't in charge of the Chiefs. We would have a new front office, coaching staff and entire roster about every 3 games.

DenverDanChiefsFan
12-18-2011, 04:07 PM
If not Crennel, I'd like to know who's better and who we could realistically get.I would just like to see a comprehensive coaching search. Not sure who we could realistically get, but Pioli is paid to search and make the correct decision.

Maybe that turns out to be RAC, but without due diligence we don't know.

Lbedrock1
12-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Remembering the last head coach we got from Cleveland I'm will to give Romeo a few years to at least give him another shot at it. He got this D to playing again. If we go back to the games where they have looked bad I argue the point that they were on the field most of the game. Any team that plays their D more minutes then their O most of the tie is gonna lose, Green Bay game is a prime example D just wore down.

crossbow
12-18-2011, 04:16 PM
I am sure Pioli will put in an exhaustive, Herculean search of Patriot affiliated personnel until he settles on the best coach for this team.

Extra Point
12-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Finish the season with two more wins, then we'll talk.

Frankie
12-18-2011, 04:20 PM

If he coaches successfully for a few years, it gives us time to groom some young guy from within. That would be the best possible scenario for us.

Please NO! I checked in with the Ram's game late in the 3rd quarter just in time when the announcers were mentioning the Rams O had zero 3rd down conversions.

There is no doubt in my mind that Crennel should be given a shot. His Defense has kept KC in quite a few this year that they had no business being in.

Give the guy a shot. Players respect him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Today's game was won by the D. The O basically just did not get in the way by doing it's job.

Gonzo
12-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Finish the season with two more wins, then we'll talk.

This. Even a blind squirrel gather no moss.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dave Lane
12-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Knee jerk stupidity is being served up today in massive quantities.

Dave Lane
12-18-2011, 04:29 PM
This. Even a blind squirrel gather no moss.
Posted via Mobile Device

A snitch in time does nine.

Frankie
12-18-2011, 04:34 PM

I can completely see a scenario where McDaniels is brought in here to be the OC, they give Romeo a 3 year deal and McDaniels takes over after that.

It's more likely we see Crennel/McDaniels now.

Could MCD actually come in and develop Stanzi?

Could McDaniels come in and work with Orton?

My biggest fear is bringing in McD to try to work with Cassel some more. Pioli needs to cut bait now and move on.

PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE!!

McDANIELS = ANTIFREEZE

PUHLEEEZ!

Rooster
12-18-2011, 04:34 PM

If he wins the next two against the divison he should be considered. Haley only won two in the west last year.

Sam Hall
12-18-2011, 04:43 PM
I would just like to see a comprehensive coaching search. Not sure who we could realistically get, but Pioli is paid to search and make the correct decision.

Maybe that turns out to be RAC, but without due diligence we don't know.

I'm afraid Pioli would pick McDaniels because he knows McDaniels and because it would be easier to boss around a young coach.

petegz28
12-18-2011, 04:47 PM
If we look good the next two weeks, even if we lose then you have to give me a serious look

Chiefshrink
12-18-2011, 04:53 PM

What has McDumbass done this year to warrant coming over as an OC or HC would be my question? Oh but it's not about merit it's about the only man that can get Matt to succeed as the Chiefs starting QB:rolleyes:

jd1020
12-18-2011, 04:55 PM
What has McDumbass done this year to warrant coming over as an OC or HC would be my question? Oh but it's not about merit it's about the only man that can get Matt to succeed as the Chiefs starting QB:rolleyes:

The Rams whole organization is garbage. McDaniels is still regarded as a premier OC in the NFL and would not have the control he had in Denver. He is also young and if he learned from his time in Denver could turn into a very good HC.

Regardless, he won't be coming here unless the Rams fire him because Pioli has already said "No" to him getting the HC job next season.

Chiefshrink
12-18-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm afraid Pioli would pick McDaniels because he knows McDaniels and because it would be easier to boss around a young coach.

:thumb: You are not far off and IF and that is a big IF he can turn Cassel around then it saves Pioli's ass which IMO won't happen.

Okie_Apparition
12-18-2011, 04:58 PM
The QB play was better
The team play was worse

Chiefshrink
12-18-2011, 05:02 PM
The Rams whole organization is garbage. McDaniels is still regarded as a premier OC in the NFL and would not have the control he had in Denver. He is also young and if he learned from his time in Denver could turn into a very good HC.

Regardless, he won't be coming here unless the Rams fire him because Pioli has already said "No" to him getting the HC job next season.

What's Pioli supposed to say? You think he will show his cards this early in the process while Romeo is still canidating?

jd1020
12-18-2011, 05:04 PM
What's Pioli supposed to say? You think he will show his cards this early in the process while Romeo is still canidating?

He doesn't have to show anything. Hunt is the one that wont sign off on it.

ArrowheadMagic
12-18-2011, 05:04 PM
It is a good thing CP isn't in charge of the Chiefs. We would have a new front office, coaching staff and entire roster about every 3 games.

QFT

chiefzilla1501
12-18-2011, 05:06 PM

Define "premiere". You mean statistically?

He built an aerial offense in Denver. They were horrendous at running the ball. Pretty clear they should be a running team.

Royal Fanatic
12-18-2011, 05:06 PM
He is now 25-40 as a HC.
Belichick was 36-44 at Cleveland.

chiefzilla1501
12-18-2011, 05:10 PM
I don't think Romeo is hc material. He's well liked but he belongs in the trenches coaching players and in the booth doing x's and o's. He is norv turner 2.0. Great football mind, well liked, ut just will never do the managerial things a coach needs to do. Hell, we saw today a glimpse of some of the game management things you can expect under Romeo. How many freaking times will we run 12 guys into the huddle?

Keep him at dc. Hire a motivational guy to be coach. A guy who knows how to not just coach but manage players.

Brock
12-18-2011, 05:12 PM
He wins another game, it's probably his. And it should be.

Marcellus
12-18-2011, 05:13 PM
1 game and Crennel has earned the job?

I hope to hell Pioli has more sense than CP. Then again that doesn't seem to be the case.

Royal Fanatic
12-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Knee jerk stupidity is being served up today in massive quantities.
It would be knee jerk stupidity if Romeo Crennel weren't the most qualified candidate that is likely to be available to the Chiefs.

Guess what? Cowher isn't going to come here. Neither is Gruden. Neither is Billick. Jeff Fisher MIGHT be persuaded, but he wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade over Crennel. Kirk Ferentz has already said he's not coming here either.

Since you think it's knee jerk stupidity to say that Crennel should be the coach next year, who is YOUR candidate that's so much better? Josh McDaniels?

chiefzilla1501
12-18-2011, 05:35 PM
He wins another game, it's probably his. And it should be.

Norv turner syndrome. Bill Callahan syndrome. Mangini syndrome. Raheem Morris syndrome.

New coaches typically start off with a bang. It usually takes a year before a team takes on the identity of the new coach.

Sorry, but this is a mistake of norv turner proportions. Crennel is not fit to be a head coach. He's a friend to players. But as a coach he's too soft and laid back. Ask any Cleveland fan. They'll tell you he doesn't coach with any real emotion or urgency. Thats how I see norv too. Very nice guy but because of that, his teams don't play with any real urgency.

Brock
12-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Norv turner syndrome. Bill Callahan syndrome. Mangini syndrome. Raheem Morris syndrome.

New coaches typically start off with a bang. It usually takes a year before a team takes on the identity of the new coach.

Sorry, but this is a mistake of norv turner proportions. Crennel is not fit to be a head coach. He's a friend to players. But as a coach he's too soft and laid back. Ask any Cleveland fan. They'll tell you he doesn't coach with any real emotion or urgency. Thats how I see norv too. Very nice guy but because of that, his teams don't play with any real urgency.

I don't care what Cleveland fans think. They have a never ending series of coaches running through there, and after all this time they still suck. Nobody should judge Crennel on Cleveland. If this team continues to look like they did today for the rest of this season, the job's his, it has nothing to do with any of the other coaches you mention.

Also, LOL at your "it usually takes a year before a team takes on the identity of the new coach". That's some braindead shit right there.

hometeam
12-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Im in on it.

Romeo is my homeo (?)

Dexter Manley
12-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Grading Romeo -

1. was the plan sound and well thought out - yes
2. did the team show and play hard - yes

Certainly Romeo did a fine job his first game. Congrats!

MahiMike
12-18-2011, 05:48 PM
I told my son at halftime that if they won, he'd get the job. Bring in McDaniels as OC and keep these QBs. Cassel is a decent backup.

Dexter Manley
12-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Cassel would be one very expensive backup QB...

KCChiefsFan88
12-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Romeo is not head coaching material. Even in today's win you saw it with all the game management mistakes... 12 men in the huddle at least 5 times.

Romeo would be a great DC under Jeff Fisher, but if the Chiefs keep him as HC they are looking at a mediocre future at best.

Brock
12-18-2011, 05:51 PM
12 men in the huddle isn't a head coaching mistake.

Royal Fanatic
12-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Romeo is not head coaching material. Even in today's win you saw it with all the game management mistakes... 12 men in the huddle at least 5 times.

Romeo would be a great DC under Jeff Fisher, but if the Chiefs keep him as HC they are looking at a mediocre future at best.
You're right. Crennel did have 6 full days to get ready. He should have been PERFECT.

KCChiefsFan88
12-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Jeff Fisher MIGHT be persuaded, but he wouldn't necessarily be an upgrade over Crennel.

You branded yourself as a dumbass with this comment.

Fisher has a far more accomplished head coaching resume than Romeo.

Romeo was basically Todd Haley in Cleveland.

He had one winning season... 10-6 against the same generous NFC West/last place schedule that Haley went 10-6 against.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-18-2011, 05:53 PM

I do agree with this.

I think the fans were never behind him 100%, but have definitely soured on him now.

I would love to see him traded. I could see a team giving up a second or third for him.

KCChiefsFan88

When it happens 5 times it is.

Also it happened at least 3 times on defense.

Who was calling plays for the defense today?

Frankie
The QB play was better
The team play was worseWTF?!... Did I miss something?!

Kirk Ferentz has already said he's not coming here either.KF has a bowl game to prepare for. Not all coaches announce their plans to switch venues before a bowl game.

KCChiefsFan88
12-18-2011, 05:54 PM
You're right. Crennel did have 6 full days to get ready. He should have been PERFECT.

Cleveland was a disorganized, unprepared mess most of the time under Romeo.

How will things be different with Romeo as HC in KC?

Brock
12-18-2011, 05:54 PM
When it happens 5 times it is.

Also it happened at least 3 times on defense.

Who was calling plays for the defense today?

No, it isn't. It isn't the head coach's job to make sure the right people are on or off the field.

Marcellus
12-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Would you be saying that if Haley was still coach?

KCChiefsFan88
12-18-2011, 05:55 PM
No, it isn't. It isn't the head coach's job to make sure the right people are on or off the field.

It happened at least 3 times on defense.

Again, who was calling plays for the defense today?

You afraid to answer that question?

Brock
12-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Would you be saying that if Haley was still coach?

Uh...yeah?

whoman69
12-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Cassel would be one very expensive backup QB...

He is only about 5 million for next season. I still don't want him.

Brock
12-18-2011, 06:02 PM

I'm not sure who was calling plays for the defense, but I am fairly certain that even the defensive coordinator delegates things to his assistants, things like making sure the right number of players are on the field. That doesn't even factor in that Romeo had a lot more on his plate today than on any other day.

Earthling
12-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Today's game was won by the D. The O basically just did not get in the way by doing it's job.

Really? I have to disagree about the O. They looked better than any other time this entire year. This game was won by both the O and D which were able to overcome multiple dumbass penalties.

KCChiefsFan88
12-18-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure who was calling plays for the defense, but I am fairly certain that even the defensive coordinator delegates things to his assistants, things like making sure the right number of players are on the field. That doesn't even factor in that Romeo had a lot more on his plate today than on any other day.

LMAO Romeo was calling the plays and coordinating the defense today dumbshit.

Okie_Apparition
12-18-2011, 06:04 PM
I think they lost 2 timeouts
1 for 12 men on the field
1 for 10 on the field

mnchiefsguy
12-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Not sure you can hold Romeo's Cleveland experience against him....Cleveland lost again today, which is its 10th 10 loss season in the last 11 years. The only time they did not lose 10 games was the year Romeo went 10-6. Given the state of that franchise, not sure you can completely say Romeo was completely at fault for that, given the state of the Cleveland franchise. Romeo did not have personnel control in Cleveland, so you cannot hold him accountable for the roster either.

If the Chiefs finish the season strong, then Romeo should be strongly considered. If they played like they did today, especially on defense, I can see the Chiefs winning both and finishing 8-8...how do you not give Romeo the job then? At that point, I think the only way Romeo would not get the job would be if Cowher decided to leave CBS and wanted to come here.

Royal Fanatic
12-18-2011, 06:06 PM
You branded yourself as a dumbass with this comment.

Fisher has a far more accomplished head coaching resume than Romeo.

Romeo was basically Todd Haley in Cleveland.

He had one winning season... 10-6 against the same generous NFC West/last place schedule that Haley went 10-6 against.
Before you start throwing the dumbass insults around, you should probably learn that Fisher made the playoffs 6 times in 17 years as a head coach. That is not what I would call an "accomplished" record as a head coach. You are over-rating him if you think he's an elite coach.

Okie_Apparition
12-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Special teams was one fuck up after another

Brock
12-18-2011, 06:07 PM
LMAO Romeo was calling the plays and coordinating the defense today dumbshit.

That's your answer? Wow. You're really kind of a football illiterate.

Royal Fanatic
12-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Not sure you can hold Romeo's Cleveland experience against him....Cleveland lost again today, which is its 10th 10 loss season in the last 11 years. The only time they did not lose 10 games was the year Romeo went 10-6. Given the state of that franchise, not sure you can completely say Romeo was completely at fault for that, given the state of the Cleveland franchise. Romeo did not have personnel control in Cleveland, so you cannot hold him accountable for the roster either.

If the Chiefs finish the season strong, then Romeo should be strongly considered. If they played like they did today, especially on defense, I can see the Chiefs winning both and finishing 8-8...how do you not give Romeo the job then? At that point, I think the only way Romeo would not get the job would be if Cowher decided to leave CBS and wanted to come here.
Belichick had a losing record at Cleveland too. Apparently some of the Crennel haters around here don't know that.

mnchiefsguy
12-18-2011, 06:08 PM

Romeo got the team ready to play in a much shorter amount of time than Hayley had all year, and had to juggle being the HC and the DC....

and the defense held the Packers to their lowest point total of the season. Aaron Rogers only had 1 TD pass, that had not happened in over a year.

No defensive performance is perfect, but I fail to see how anyone could not give the defense an "A" for their performance today.

chiefzilla1501
12-18-2011, 06:09 PM
I don't care what Cleveland fans think. They have a never ending series of coaches running through there, and after all this time they still suck. Nobody should judge Crennel on Cleveland. If this team continues to look like they did today for the rest of this season, the job's his, it has nothing to do with any of the other coaches you mention.

Also, LOL at your "it usually takes a year before a team takes on the identity of the new coach". That's some braindead shit right there.

Braindead shit? It took one year of Bill Callahan being an asshole before players realized that they were sick of him. By year 2, they revolted. The first year Norv was coach (even longer than that, in fact), the Chargers looked like a disciplined team. Those first years were ALL Schottenheimer. Now, this team is his, and they look like an undisciplined mess of talented players who have no desire to win. The first year under Haley... that was largely Herm Edwards (a bunch of lazy guys with no work ethic who were slowly being whipped into shape).

It might be that Haley was overly disciplinarian, enough so that he may have been an asshole that players hated. When you match a disciplined team with a laid back coach like Romeo, it becomes a match made in heaven. But it's only a matter of time before players start realizing they can get away with things they couldn't get away with under Haley. And yes, his experience in Cleveland absolutely matters. He was emotionless on the sidelines. He was a terrible game manager (far worse than Haley). He doesn't have any kind of fire and it translated into a bunch of ultra-lazy players. The team was an unmotivated mess. And the more he coaches, the less he has time to focus on the X's and O's and individually coaching up players. That's a stupid decision. Romeo is at his best game planning, doing the X's and O's, calling plays, and coaching players individually. His strength is NOT dealing with the enormous minutiae and leadership BS that head coaches spend most of their time dealing with. Being a head coach is as much about being liked as it is getting in a player's face. It's about managing crises. It's about managing the team's practice schedule, coaches' meetings, etc.... It's about being the face to the press. Being the face of the organization. About managing the coaching staff. Etc... About splitting time between defensive AND offensive gameplanning. You're taking Romeo away from the things he does best so he can commit more time dealing with stuff he's not good at?

He is NOT the answer at head coach. A few good games with somebody else's team isn't going to convince me otherwise.

3rd&48ers
12-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Say what you want but a new coach beating the best team in football with a QB plucked from the waiver wire is a coach worthy of the job.

KCChiefsFan88
12-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Belichick had a losing record at Cleveland too. Apparently some of the Crennel haters around here don't know that.

Here comes the idiotic comparisons to Belichick in Cleveland.

Let's get a few quick facts straight:

1) Belichick had a better record in Cleveland than Romeo did.
2) Belichick took Cleveland to the playoffs, Romeo never did.
3) Belichick's worst season in Cleveland was destroyed by the team announcing their move to Baltimore halfway into the season.

Romeo is Wade Phillips. A great coordinator, horrible head coach.

The Chiefs are destroying their future if they hire Romeo as HC.

Okie_Apparition
12-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Orton had about 3 weeks to learn the playbook while Palko Casseled all over the field
Then Kyle rides in as the savior & Crennel looks like the next comming of Belichick ROFL

Brock
12-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Yeah, and Belichick "had 100 times the success in Cleveland" than Crennel did.

Somehow. I guess a one and done in the playoffs holds a lot of sway in the mind of 50/50.

ClevelandBronco
12-18-2011, 06:14 PM

I couldn't agree more. Please don't interview anyone else. Romeo's the man.

mnchiefsguy
12-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Braindead shit? It took one year of Bill Callahan being an asshole before players realized that they were sick of him. By year 2, they revolted. The first year Norv was coach (even longer than that, in fact), the Chargers looked like a disciplined team. Those first years were ALL Schottenheimer. Now, this team is his, and they look like an undisciplined mess of talented players who have no desire to win. The first year under Haley... that was largely Herm Edwards (a bunch of lazy guys with no work ethic who were slowly being whipped into shape).

It might be that Haley was overly disciplinarian, enough so that he may have been an asshole that players hated. When you match a disciplined team with a laid back coach like Romeo, it becomes a match made in heaven. But it's only a matter of time before players start realizing they can get away with things they couldn't get away with under Haley. And yes, his experience in Cleveland absolutely matters. He was emotionless on the sidelines. He was a terrible game manager (far worse than Haley). He doesn't have any kind of fire and it translated into a bunch of ultra-lazy players. The team was an unmotivated mess. And the more he coaches, the less he has time to focus on the X's and O's and individually coaching up players. That's a stupid decision. Romeo is at his best game planning, doing the X's and O's, calling plays, and coaching players individually. His strength is NOT dealing with the enormous minutiae and leadership BS that head coaches spend most of their time dealing with. Being a head coach is as much about being liked as it is getting in a player's face. It's about managing crises. It's about managing the team's practice schedule, coaches' meetings, etc.... It's about being the face to the press. Being the face of the organization. About managing the coaching staff. Etc... About splitting time between defensive AND offensive gameplanning. You're taking Romeo away from the things he does best so he can commit more time dealing with stuff he's not good at?

He is NOT the answer at head coach. A few good games with somebody else's team isn't going to convince me otherwise.

What would it take then? What would Romeo have to do? He should get some credit for coaching the team to the biggest NFL upset this year. Pack was favored by 14 points. They were undefeated. No one thought the Chiefs would even be competitive. Romeo changed up the routine this week, so I would say he handled the practice schedule, coaches meeting just fine...considering the team showed up ready to play, which is something Haley failed to do how many times this year?

I don't know if Romeo is the answer or not.....but they are not many attractive candidates out there right now. If the team continues to play well, then Romeo should get a shot.

I do not know what the rest of the season holds...but I know I feel better about Romeo as a HC possibility today than I did yesterday.

Oh Snap
12-18-2011, 06:16 PM
If the Chiefs play like they played today, they will win at least one.

Romeo had the guys ready to play today. They were better prepared, and played with fire.

Chiefs might not win the next two, but I don't see them being embarrassed either.

Chiefs not only won, but held the Packers to their worst point total of the season. Defense came through big time today.

I can see the chiefs beating the raiders and broncos. Neither one of those teams are great. Orton knows denvers playbook, and we actually have a QB who has a strong arm and good recognition. The Raiders are going to be at KC, so I think we have to be favored to win that one.

Haley is a dipshit for starting Palko over Orton. What the hell was he thinking? That cost us at least 1-2 games this year. I for one am glad that hes gone. Good riddance! We actually looked like an offense for once this year!

This does hurt our draft position. But honestly, I dont give a fuck. Orton is a good QB. He was an above average QB in denver...and with a running game, and good recievers, I think he can excel in KC. The question is, does Pioli think the same thing? Cassel is his golden boy...Orton today, looked better than Cassel has ever looked in his 3 seasons here. Stronger arm, good accuracy, and good vision. He actually looked competent, whereas Cassel, even when he played "good" still scared the shit outta me!

I know it was against the packers, who suck defensively, but we've looked like shit with Cassel and Palko with some pretty porous pass defenses this year. Orton made the 31st ranked pass defense look like the 31st pass defense.

Royal Fanatic
12-18-2011, 06:18 PM

3) Belichick's worst season in Cleveland was destroyed by the team announcing their move to Baltimore halfway into the season.

Here is a more relevant set of facts:

1) Belichick and Crennel BOTH had losing records in Cleveland. Belichick was 36-44. Crennel as 26-40. Not a hell of a lot of difference there.
2) Belichick's best team in Cleveland went 11-5. Crennel's best team went 10-6. Not a hell of a lot of difference there.

Enough of the Belichick and Crennel comparisons. A better question is this: Who do think would be a better choice? Jeff (6 playoffs in 17 years) Fisher???

Okie_Apparition
12-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Orton got to practice on wednesday before the sunday night game. Palmer laughs
Plays the next week & injures his finger. Cassel laughs

Brock

Your wall of text didn't get read, but yeah. What I said about your metaphysical bullshit about how long it takes for a team to "take on the personality of its coach" :rolleyes: holds true. It's stupid, made up nonsense.

mnchiefsguy

This could all be true.....but is Jeff Fisher the answer? Is he even a realistic option? I don't see Fisher being any better, he looks more and more like Marty Pt 2 the more one looks at his record and coaching style.

chiefzilla1501
12-18-2011, 06:20 PM
What would it take then? What would Romeo have to do? He should get some credit for coaching the team to the biggest NFL upset this year. Pack was favored by 14 points. They were undefeated. No one thought the Chiefs would even be competitive. Romeo changed up the routine this week, so I would say he handled the practice schedule, coaches meeting just fine...considering the team showed up ready to play, which is something Haley failed to do how many times this year?

I don't know if Romeo is the answer or not.....but they are not many attractive candidates out there right now. If the team continues to play well, then Romeo should get a shot.

I do not know what the rest of the season holds...but I know I feel better about Romeo as a HC possibility today than I did yesterday.

He did it this week. The question is what happens when the team takes on a new identity.

As an example, you just got trained by a complete asshole that you hated. But it got you to show up to work on time, finish your assignments on time, and you were very productive (but you hated working there and considered quitting). All of a sudden, this new guy shows up. He gives you more time to finish your assignments. Lets you do pretty much whatever you want.

What happens to you? You probably produce a ton in the beginning. You're stoked because you're engaged with work and you still have the discipline to get stuff done. A year later, what happens to you? Do you start showing up a little later to work every day? Convincing yourself that you can hand in your project next month instead of next week because your boss isn't on your ass about it?

We don't know what identity Romeo will create for this team based on one game. Not even based on a few games. That's the mistake the 49ers made when they hired Singletary because he whipped the team into shape after Nolan was fired. Romeo's track record isn't good. And I truly believe naming him as head coach takes him away from all the things he's really, really good at and forces him into stuff he's not great at. Also worth noting... sure, he does that today while it's fresh. But he got burned out doing that in Cleveland.

Royal Fanatic
12-18-2011, 06:21 PM
This could all be true.....but is Jeff Fisher the answer? Is he even a realistic option? I don't see Fisher being any better, he looks more and more like Marty Pt 2 the more one looks at his record and coaching style.

Actually, Marty was a much better coach and his teams almost ALWAYS made the playoffs. I'd rather see a 68 year old Schottenheimer take over the team than Jeff Fisher.

KCChiefsFan88
12-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Here is a more relevant set of facts:

1) Belichick and Crennel BOTH had losing records in Cleveland. Belichick was 36-44. Crennel as 26-40. Not a hell of a lot of difference there.
2) Belichick's best team in Cleveland went 11-5. Crennel's best team went 10-6. Not a hell of a lot of difference there.

Enough of the Belichick and Crennel comparisons. A better question is this: Who do think would be a better choice? Jeff (6 playoffs in 17 years) Fisher???

Jeff Fisher vs. Romeo?

You really want to compare their resumes?

LMAO

The Romeo homers are already dumber than the Herm-homers and he hasn't even been named permanent HC yet.

Good grief.

scott free
12-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Well KCchiefs'fan'0.0 says Romeo sucks dog balls, so that settles it for me... yep.

SAY NO TO ROMEO

Royal Fanatic
12-18-2011, 06:23 PM
He did it this week. The question is what happens when the team takes on a new identity.

As an example, you just got trained by a complete asshole that you hated. But it got you to show up to work on time, finish your assignments on time, and you were very productive (but you hated working there and considered quitting). All of a sudden, this new guy shows up. He gives you more time to finish your assignments. Lets you do pretty much whatever you want.

What happens to you? You probably produce a ton in the beginning. You're stoked because you're engaged with work and you still have the discipline to get stuff done. A year later, what happens to you? Do you start showing up a little later to work every day? Convincing yourself that you can hand in your project next month instead of next week because your boss isn't on your ass about it?

We don't know what identity Romeo will create for this team based on one game. Not even based on a few games. That's the mistake the 49ers made when they hired Singletary because he whipped the team into shape after Nolan was fired. Romeo's track record isn't good. And I truly believe naming him as head coach takes him away from all the things he's really, really good at and forces him into stuff he's not great at. Also worth noting... sure, he does that today while it's fresh. But he got burned out doing that in Cleveland.
A much better argument against Crennel than what KCChiefsfan50/50 was spewing out.

Okie_Apparition
12-18-2011, 06:23 PM
If it comes down to Fisher vs Romeo
I can't laugh at either side, unless I can laugh at both at the same time

Royal Fanatic
12-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Jeff Fisher vs. Romeo?

You really want to compare their resumes?

LMAO

The Romeo homers are already dumber than the Herm-homers and he hasn't even been named permanent HC yet.

Good grief.
See post #110. Your arguments suck.

KCChiefsFan88
12-18-2011, 06:24 PM
A much better argument against Crennel than what KCChiefsfan50/50 was spewing out.

Figures that a die-hard Royals fan would be supporting a loser like Romeo.

You can smell out a loser from a mile away apparently.

Must be a sixth sense.

Okie_Apparition
12-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Eddie George & Chris Johnson

Royal Fanatic
12-18-2011, 06:27 PM

Must be a sixth sense.
Your scent is certainly very strong.

Your understanding of baseball and football appear to be about equal.

Just don't jump on the Royals bandwagon next year when they contend for a division title, and don't tell us that you knew along that Hosmer, Moustakas and Perez would be great players.

Brock
12-18-2011, 06:28 PM

Must be a sixth sense.

If you're a Chiefs fan, you're not really one to talk about being a fan of a loser.

chiefzilla1501
12-18-2011, 06:30 PM

Must be a sixth sense.

I don't think Romeo's a loser.

I just think when it comes down to it, he's much better coaching players, handling X's and O's on DEFENSE, and being the nice guy.

He's not a guy I want disciplining this team, wasting time flirting with the media, wasting time on understanding the offensive gameplan, wasting time setting practice schedules, teaching leadership to the team, attending to players' personal problems, managing crises (e.g. Baldwin incident), etc... In fact, I think he's way too nice of a guy. I think the team in a year or 2 will start walking all over him.

Keep him on the front lines doing what he does best. Hire somebody else who is really good at that motivational, team management, etc... stuff.

mnchiefsguy
12-18-2011, 06:30 PM
From most accounts, Fisher and Cowher are not viable choices for this job...they don't want to come here. So other than those two guys, who is out there, and how do they compare to Romeo? Chiefs might have to settle for Romeo, and then make a move for a better coach when they are better prospects available.

Romeo has three games to show he is a viable candidate for the job. I fail to see how anyone can say he did not make a huge statement today that he is in the mix, and is a legitimate candidate to do the job.

TEX
12-18-2011, 06:31 PM

This.

chiefzilla1501
12-18-2011, 06:33 PM
From most accounts, Fisher and Cowher are not viable choices for this job...they don't want to come here. So other than those two guys, who is out there, and how do they compare to Romeo? Chiefs might have to settle for Romeo, and then make a move for a better coach when they are better prospects available.

Romeo has three games to show he is a viable candidate for the job. I fail to see how anyone can say he did not make a huge statement today that he is in the mix, and is a legitimate candidate to do the job.

I think the problem is that we're paying WAY too much attention to X's and O's.

Tomlin and McCarthy and John Harbaugh didn't walk into their coaching gigs with stellar resumes. But they were hired because they are sound football minds who know how to motivate a football team.

I don't know the answer to this. But that's why the Chiefs need to have a serious, scheme-agnostic open interview process. I think there are some diamonds in the rough who just haven't gotten a look yet.

mnchiefsguy
12-18-2011, 06:38 PM
I think the problem is that we're paying WAY too much attention to X's and O's.

Tomlin and McCarthy and John Harbaugh didn't walk into their coaching gigs with stellar resumes. But they were hired because they are sound football minds who know how to motivate a football team.

I don't know the answer to this. But that's why the Chiefs need to have a serious, scheme-agnostic open interview process. I think there are some diamonds in the rough who just haven't gotten a look yet.

I hope so. None of the coaching candidates out there seem to good to me at the moment. Romeo's stock went up today, but it was pretty low to begin with, in terms of being a HC. Seems like there are not even any assistant coaches out there that seem to be "hot candidates" this year.

chiefzilla1501
12-18-2011, 07:42 PM
I hope so. None of the coaching candidates out there seem to good to me at the moment. Romeo's stock went up today, but it was pretty low to begin with, in terms of being a HC. Seems like there are not even any assistant coaches out there that seem to be "hot candidates" this year.

I know I'm going to get drilled for this. But Sparano might actually be a great candidate. The players seem to absolutely love him. He runs a very disciplined team. I just don't think they ever had an offensive identity. But give him an OC and a true QB and let him run wild.

KCChiefsFan88
12-18-2011, 07:55 PM
I know I'm going to get drilled for this. But Sparano might actually be a great candidate. The players seem to absolutely love him. He runs a very disciplined team. I just don't think they ever had an offensive identity. But give him an OC and a true QB and let him run wild.

Good grief.

I'll tell you what Miami's offensive identity was under Sparano... it was a lot like the Chiefs identity under Herm Edwards.

A lifeless, dull offense that lacked any big play ability.

The Bad Guy
12-18-2011, 07:57 PM

I honestly don't think I could hate your takes anymore, then you go and post something like this.

If we are going to go out and hire someone like him, why not just keep Romeo?

chiefzilla1501
12-18-2011, 08:02 PM
I honestly don't think I could hate your takes anymore, then you go and post something like this.

If we are going to go out and hire someone like him, why not just keep Romeo?

They couldn't be more polar opposites. As I've said before, with a head coach, I'm more concerned about their ability to motivate a team than their comfort with X's and O's. You hire good coordinators to do that. Sparano was very, very good at motivating his players. They worked their ass off for him and he's a lot less crazy than Haley. Romeo in Cleveland was known to be way too soft.

I'd say the biggest problems in Miami by a mile were poor QB play and a shitty offfensive coordinator. Those are easy things to fix.

chiefzilla1501
12-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Good grief.

I'll tell you what Miami's offensive identity was under Sparano... it was a lot like the Chiefs identity under Herm Edwards.

A lifeless, dull offense that lacked any big play ability.

That's why you hire a seasoned offensive coordinator and bring in a QB that's not named Chad Henne.

The Bad Guy
12-18-2011, 08:15 PM
They couldn't be more polar opposites. As I've said before, with a head coach, I'm more concerned about their ability to motivate a team than their comfort with X's and O's. You hire good coordinators to do that. Sparano was very, very good at motivating his players. They worked their ass off for him and he's a lot less crazy than Haley. Romeo in Cleveland was known to be way too soft.

I'd say the biggest problems in Miami by a mile were poor QB play and a shitty offfensive coordinator. Those are easy things to fix.

And a shitty head coach that's about as vanilla as it gets.

Sparano is going to be an OL guy the rest of his life. It is what it is.

The Bad Guy
12-18-2011, 08:16 PM
That's why you hire a seasoned offensive coordinator and bring in a QB that's not named Chad Henne.

He had freaking Dan Henning as his coordinator for a while. There's no one more seasoned than him.

Henne is terrible, but the QB's he'd have here are no better.

Bump
12-18-2011, 08:34 PM
the man took over a terrible, terrible defense and turned it into a monster! From the 4-3 players he mostly had to start with and turned it into a great 3-4. People were about to call DJ and Hali busts and they are one of the best LB duo's in the NFL now. Crennel earned it before today IMO. I just hope he is healthy enough to do the job.

Brock
12-18-2011, 08:36 PM

yeah, I'm not going to bother reading your posts anymore. Just a big bucket of stupid.

Okie_Apparition
12-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Sparano
Why not just hire Tom Cable & have him & Thomas Jones arm wrestle for playing time

chiefzilla1501
12-18-2011, 08:56 PM
yeah, I'm not going to bother reading your posts anymore. Just a big bucket of stupid.

I'm just throwing a name out there. I don't know how this is anymore stupid than ignoring Romeos first stint as head coach and anointing him head coach because of one game.

The Bad Guy
12-18-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm just throwing a name out there. I don't know how this is anymore stupid than ignoring Romeos first stint as head coach and anointing him head coach because of one game.

No one is ignoring it, but Romeo is a far better HC for this team than Sparano.

milkman
12-18-2011, 09:24 PM

The Chiefs offense sputtered in the rdd zone (as is Oton's wont), but you don't think a nearly 20 minute advantage in time of possession had anything to do with winning today's game?

The offense moved the chains, and kept the ball out of Rodgers' hands, allowing the defense to remain fresh.

This was a total team effort.

Both sides of the ball did their part to earn this win.

milkman
12-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I think we need to stay away from hasty decisions.

O.city
12-18-2011, 09:25 PM
In all honesty the Chiefs dominated both sides of the ball today. They probably should have won by 3 scores.

chiefzilla1501
12-18-2011, 09:26 PM
No one is ignoring it, but Romeo is a far better HC for this team than Sparano.

I'd be a lot more worried about Romeos red flags vs sparanos. I think Romeo is a phenomenal x's and o's guy. Far better than sparano. But the knock on him is that he is way too laid back to be head coach. I think you can force sparano to yield power on x's and o's. It will be very hard, on the other hand, to learn the soft skills that are ultra critical to be a head coach.

I just don't know what options are out there. But again, I think we have to stop treating x's and o's as the only requirement. We need a head coach who's smart with x's and o's. He also has to be organized and likable. He has to be able to praise a player while still putting the fear of god in them when they step out of line. Again, McCarthy and John harbaugh and mike Tomlin are phenomenal examples of guys that weren't terrific with x's and o's but are terrific coaches.

alanm
12-18-2011, 09:27 PM

I'd say the biggest problems in Miami by a mile were poor QB play and a shitty offfensive coordinator. Those are easy things to fix.So what is the Chiefs excuse?

chiefzilla1501
12-18-2011, 09:30 PM
So what is the Chiefs excuse?

Poor qb play. And quite possible Haley wasn't as good at x's and o's but wanted all the power anyway.

Frankie
12-18-2011, 09:31 PM
He is only about 5 million for next season. I still don't want him.When I added up the first three years It was over $28 mil already. Does that not take care of the guaranteed portion of the contract? Does that mean Cassel can be cut without costing any more money?

It might be that Haley was overly disciplinarian, enough so that he may have been an asshole that players hated. When you match a disciplined team with a laid back coach like Romeo, it becomes a match made in heaven. But it's only a matter of time before players start realizing they can get away with things they couldn't get away with under Haley. I thought I was the only one worried about this, if we hired Romeo long term. Good point.

Brock
12-18-2011, 09:33 PM
The 49ers still have Mike Singletary's personality, maybe we should hire him. /chiefzilla

O.city
12-18-2011, 09:34 PM
When I added up the first three years It was over $28 mil already. Does that not take care of the guaranteed portion of the contract? Does that mean Cassel can be cut without costing any more money?

I thought I was the only one worried about this, if we hired Romeo long term. Good point.

Yep that was a very good point.

However, if you remember correctly we did draft alot of boyscouts so maybe they won't let that happen.

I think the good thing about this team is that he veteran leadership is young and has been thru the shitty years. Dj this year has seen what it takes to play like an all pro. Hopefully he wants to continue that. Tamba the same.

I'm not sure ROmeo hasn't toughened up a little in his old age. He was chewing some ass today on the sideline after a few of the special teams penalties.

Frankie
12-18-2011, 09:37 PM
The Chiefs offense sputtered in the rdd zone (as is Oton's wont), but you don't think a nearly 20 minute advantage in time of possession had anything to do with winning today's game?

The offense moved the chains, and kept the ball out of Rodgers' hands, allowing the defense to remain fresh.

This was a total team effort.

Both sides of the ball did their part to earn this win.

I thought about my post later and yes it was a bit unfair to the O. Our goal line O is still very disappointing though.

In all honesty the Chiefs dominated both sides of the ball today. They probably should have won by 3 scores.

If we could score freaking TDs with 1st and goal on the 3 yard line.

KCChiefsFan88
12-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I think we need to stay away from hasty decisions.

Agreed

chiefzilla1501
12-18-2011, 09:43 PM
The 49ers still have Mike Singletary's personality, maybe we should hire him. /chiefzilla

Wtf. What part of being able to be a disciplinarian and be well liked don't you understand? Singletary never knew how to turn the volume down. I don't want a coach that is so strict like mangini that players despise him, but I also dont want a coach that's soft like norv that the team will walk all over.