PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Crennel: Orton Should be Starting QB in 2012 if He Wins Final 2 Games

doomy3
12-20-2011, 11:19 AM
This could very well be a repost, so I apologize in advance if it is. I didn't see it anywhere on the first page unless it's mixed in on another thread. Pretty interesting that Crennel has come out and said this already IMO.

Interim coach Romeo Crennel said Kyle Orton should be the Chiefs' 2012 starter if he wins the final two games.
There's a ton of uncertainty in Kansas City, so Crennel is getting way ahead of himself here. He's no lock to get the head coaching job, Orton is an impending free agent, and Matt Cassel is under contract through 2014. Still, Orton may truly be a better option than Cassel. The Chiefs would be foolish not to at least consider using him as a "bridge" to a rookie quarterback they might draft in April. Dec 20 - 8:59 AM
Source: Kansas City Star

http://dev.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3214/kyle-orton

Pasta Giant Meatball
12-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Read it in another thread, but it's definately worth it's own

Micjones
12-20-2011, 11:21 AM
I tend to agree. Draft his successor in April and give the kid time to sit and learn.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-20-2011, 11:21 AM
I am all about the final sentence in that paragraph.

htismaqe
12-20-2011, 11:22 AM

This.

ReynardMuldrake
12-20-2011, 11:22 AM
I have no problem with that, IF we go ahead and draft another QB as well. NOBODY expected us to win the last three games.

King_Chief_Fan
12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
If Chiefs keep Orton, Cassel and Stanzi, there needs to be a situation where the best QB is the starter next year. Competition in camp for the starting QB. I know for certain that would not be Cassel and all of Chiefs nation needs to be heard if Cassel is starting QB next year.

doomy3
12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
It's interesting that this is gaining some traction both nationally and locally. These last two games are very winnable games. If Orton wins these two games, it will really put some pressure on Pioli to make this decision I think.

Reerun_KC
12-20-2011, 11:24 AM
I tend to agree. Draft his successor in April and give the kid time to sit and learn.

Is this in the groom a qb handbook or something?

Why do they always have to sit and learn?

FringeNC
12-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Obviously, Crennel knows the job is a lost cause if Cassel is the starter.

jd1020
12-20-2011, 11:26 AM

Why, in KC, do they always have to start day 1?

luv
So, if Orton starts, we have to keep Cassel, and we draft a QB in April, then we can dump Palko (thank goodness) and drop Stanzi. I really wish we could have seen a bit more of Stanzi this year.

doomy3

It's in Reerun's groom a qb handbook.

Pasta Giant Meatball
12-20-2011, 11:27 AM

Orton can show em the ropes on the best way to down a fifth of jack. Stanzi's already showing promise!!

Chiefnj2
12-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Here is the exact quote that everyone is running with:

On his confidence in using Orton for the long term: “For the next few weeks I’m going to be pretty confident. If we win these next few games with him and he continues to play like he did today, then you might have to say that. You see what kind of production a player has and then you make a determination whether that production will continue and if you want that type of player on your team. So if he continues to do what he did today, then I would say, ‘Yes.’”

doomy3
12-20-2011, 11:28 AM
So, if Orton starts, we have to keep Cassel, and we draft a QB in April, we can dump Palko (thank goodness) and drop Stanzi. I really wish we could have seen a bit more of Stanzi this year.

I certainly don't think that's a foregone conclusion. If Pioli signs Orton to an extension, I think it could very well signal the end of Cassel. And there is certainly nothing to suggest that they would have to dump Stanzi either.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-20-2011, 11:29 AM

Because we will not be in position to draft one of the "plug and play" QBs.

htismaqe
12-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Obviously, Crennel knows the job is a lost cause if Cassel is the starter.

Why can't the rest of the world see it?

luv
12-20-2011, 11:30 AM
I certainly don't think that's a foregone conclusion. If Pioli signs Orton to an extension, I think it could very well signal the end of Cassel. And there is certainly nothing to suggest that they would have to dump Stanzi either.

Okay. I was just under the impression that we would have to keep him. If Orton gets an extension, and we can get rid of Cassel....I still would be more comfortable keeping Stanzi as a backup if we'd seen more from him this season. Damn it, Haley!

Reerun_KC
12-20-2011, 11:30 AM

Why in KC do we have to football cliche it to death and groom him?

ReynardMuldrake
12-20-2011, 11:31 AM

The background of your avatar doesn't blend into the sidebar properly. I redid the color on it if you're interested:

Reerun_KC
12-20-2011, 11:32 AM
It's in Reerun's groom a qb handbook.

:harumph:

Of course...

KC Tattoo
I'm and idiot. To think a draft pick QB will ever start during his rookie year & that growth with the team for long term success can take place.

Reerun_KC
The background of your avatar doesn't blend into the sidebar properly. I redid the color on it if you're interested:

dude so totally awesome!

htismaqe
12-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Okay. I was just under the impression that we would have to keep him. If Orton gets an extension, and we can get rid of Cassel....I still would be more comfortable keep Stanzi as a backup if we'd seen more from him this season. Damn it, Haley!

Oh great, now you had to give me something else to worry about.

They have a ready-made excuse (thanks a lot Haley!) to bring Cassel back because we need a "proven" backup.

ReynardMuldrake
12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
dude so totally awesome!

Stupid shit like that bugs me for some reason. Maybe I'm OCD?

Anyway, it's there if you want it.

Chief Faithful
12-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Yep, I can't help remember how Beldsoe was run out of town after Brady took over. If Orton were to capture the job I could see the Chiefs keeping Cassel as backup for a year just to give Pioli and Crennel an opportunity to ensure Orton is for real. Orton is definitely bringing excitement to what had become a letdown season.

Epic Fail 007
12-20-2011, 11:39 AM
they will not draft a 1st rd qb they have stanzi

Mr. Laz
12-20-2011, 11:39 AM
I have no problem with that, IF we go ahead and draft another QB as well.
yep

KC Tattoo
12-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Chiefs are the most bass ackwards team in the NFL.

Only team not to start a "rookie" QB in over 30 years. Now it comes to sitting behind kyle fucking orton. fucking unreal.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-20-2011, 11:46 AM
****!

htismaqe
12-20-2011, 11:48 AM
yep

Do you really think they will, though?

J Diddy
12-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Yep, I can't help remember how Beldsoe was run out of town after Brady took over. If Orton were to capture the job I could see the Chiefs keeping Cassel as backup for a year just to give Pioli and Crennel an opportunity to ensure Orton is for real. Orton is definitely bringing excitement to what had become a letdown season.

That's not their style. They could've let Cassell play under the tag for a season before hitting them with their monster deal. They chose to jump the gun.

Okie_Apparition
12-20-2011, 11:50 AM
I see an interim HC who wants the full time gig. Giving his best hope of getting the job, all the confidence he can safely muster

Reaper16
12-20-2011, 11:51 AM
This is absolutely true. Orton isn't the answer going forward, but he'd better damn well be the starter next year.

Gonzo
12-20-2011, 11:53 AM
http://xmages.net/storage/10/1/0/6/a/upload/52eafde1.gif

KC Tattoo
This is absolutely true. Orton isn't the answer going forward, but he'd better damn well be the starter next year.

He can start first few games, but fuck Orton. The sooner we play a draft pick prospect the better for long term success.

Rausch
That's not their style. They could've let Cassell play under the tag for a season before hitting them with their monster deal. They chose to jump the gun.

They had 11ty billion in cap room.

If you were going to lock him up to a long term deal they were genius in the structure if not the amount...

FringeNC
12-20-2011, 11:55 AM
Why can't the rest of the world see it?

Who other than Scott Pioli and SensibleChiefsFan think Cassel can play? Crennel is what, in his mid 60s? He's too old and rich to become a head coach just to be a head coach and probably doesn't even want the job if he is tied to Cassel.

luv
12-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Oh great, now you had to give me something else to worry about.

They have a ready-made excuse (thanks a lot Haley!) to bring Cassel back because we need a "proven" backup.

Yep. That's what I was thinking as I typed out my response. I don't see them permanently moving Stanzi up the depth chart with him being an unknown....unless they see a lot during practice and camp. If Orton gets an extension, I don't see us letting Cassel go (unfortunately).

johnny961
12-20-2011, 11:58 AM
I was really surprised when Crennel came right out and said this during his first post game presser when he doesn't even for sure have the job. I kind of expected a more politically correct answer but he came right out and said what was on his mind. IMO thats one of the positives about him as a potential HC. At least he doesn't sound opposed to replacing a player if they are outperformed by somebody else. True competition at all positions can only be good for the team.

Reerun_KC
12-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Stupid shit like that bugs me for some reason. Maybe I'm OCD?

Anyway, it's there if you want it.
Much better thanks a million homeboy!

BoneKrusher
12-20-2011, 12:03 PM
And there is certainly nothing to suggest that they would have to dump Stanzi either.

yep, Stanzi has never played with our starters, so they really dont know how good he could be..
Cassel and Palko have and failed, the Chiefs need to keep Stanzi over both these guys.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-20-2011, 12:08 PM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/232139/jh6mgh_jpg.gif

ReynardMuldrake
12-20-2011, 12:11 PM

Glad you like it!

notorious
12-20-2011, 12:12 PM
You two need to get a room.

Chief Faithful
12-20-2011, 12:13 PM

In the interview with Hunt, Pioli asked why the team had so little success in the playoffs since the early 70's? Pioli was making a point to Hunt that so little success for such a long period was a sign of a endemic problem existing throughout all levels of the organization not just on the team. Ever wonder why he only keep two scouts from the old organization (Willie Davis being one)? Because they were the only two that showed a serious desire to learn a new method. Pioli was given a go and Pioli literally cleaned house after the 2009 draft.

What does this have to do with Cassel? He was the first step in creating the "right 53" or the "we can find 22 players off the street that can win more than two games"? They must have believed Cassel had already demonstrated in New England what they wanted in the new QB. Pioli and Belichick did the same thing with Bledsoe, brought him in first year then had no problem replacing him with Brady. The question, does Pioli and Crennel believe Orton is an upgrade over Cassel? If they do, based on Pioli's history, I don't think they will hesitate replacing Cassel with Orton.

notorious
12-20-2011, 12:22 PM
They have eyes. They will make the right decision and either put Cassel on 2nd string or let him go.

Chief Faithful
12-20-2011, 12:30 PM
:clap:They have eyes. They will make the right decision and either put Cassel on 2nd string or let him go.

Mr. Laz
12-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Do you really think they will, though?
Have no idea.

Just because Pioli passed on Mark Sanchez and Jimmy Clausen doesn't mean he will pass every time.

neither guy has proven to be that good so apparently he was correct.

how attached is he to Cassel? :shrug:

The shitty hire of Todd Haley has really screwed up the entire flow of evaluation and rebuilding.

Chiefnj2
12-20-2011, 12:37 PM
If he was so attached to Cassel, why would he have gone the Kyle Orton route?

vailpass
12-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Nice.

Chief Faithful
12-20-2011, 12:41 PM

:banghead:

gone to Orton because gone Cassel

Rausch
12-20-2011, 12:41 PM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/232139/jh6mgh_jpg.gif

Looks like Corky - plays like DeBerg...

Mr. Laz
12-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Apparently he is open to the idea that Cassel is a problem.

But ... much like around here, there is still the conflict about changing the Head Coach and the QB at the same time. Hurts your ability to gauge how much of the problem was the HC and how much was the QB.

htismaqe
12-20-2011, 12:46 PM
The shitty hire of Todd Haley has really screwed up the entire flow of evaluation and rebuilding.

It isn't just Todd Haley, he signed Matt Cassel at the same time. The two really can't be reasonably separated.

htismaqe
12-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Because Cassel was out for the season, Palko sucked, and Orton only had a few games left on his contract.

Picking up Orton really says nothing about how he feels about Cassel because Cassel is on IR.

htismaqe
12-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Apparently he is open to the idea that Cassel is a problem.

But ... much like around here, there is still the conflict about changing the Head Coach and the QB at the same time. Hurts your ability to gauge how much of the problem was the HC and how much was the QB.

Exactly.

evolve27
12-20-2011, 12:52 PM
I am all about the final sentence in that paragraph.

Indeed

Chiefnj2
12-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Because Cassel was out for the season, Palko sucked, and Orton only had a few games left on his contract.

Picking up Orton really says nothing about how he feels about Cassel because Cassel is on IR.

Sure it does. For the last 2 years, all I've read is how Pioli won't bring in any competition for QB. With the season half way over, and injuries all over the place, KC could have easily sat still and just played Stanzi (everyone) or Palko (Haley). Pioli knew that if Orton played well, it would start a QB controversy.

BoneKrusher
12-20-2011, 12:56 PM

i haven't noticed Cassel on the sidelines the last three weeks, could that mean more than we think about his relationship with Pioli?

i mean when the colts play we see Manning on the sidelines helping the backup QB's
just curious.

htismaqe
12-20-2011, 01:00 PM
i haven't noticed Cassel on the sidelines the last three weeks, could that mean more than we think about his relationship with Pioli?

i mean when the colts play we see Manning on the sidelines helping the backup QB's
just curious.

Cassel was on the sideline Sunday and was wearing an earpiece. Whether he was communicating with the team or talking to his wife on the cellphone, I have no idea.

-King-
12-20-2011, 01:01 PM

just curious.
Cassel has been on the sideline
Posted via Mobile Device

JD10367
12-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Orton should be handed the starting job after one game about as much as Crennel should be handed the head coaching job after one game.

Epic Fail 007
12-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Orton should be handed the starting job after one game about as much as Crennel should be handed the head coaching job after one game.

Yes but you have to admit,matt would of never moved the ball like that.He would of got freaked out and would of thrown atleast 3 picks.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-20-2011, 01:22 PM
I don't care if he loses these last two games, Cassel should not be back here.

Mr. Laz
12-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Yes but you have to admit,matt would of never moved the ball like that.He would of got freaked out and would of thrown atleast 3 picks.
that's not true

Cassel just wouldn't of seen several of the 2nd/3rd options that Orton did and would of ran or gotten sacked.

whoman69
12-20-2011, 01:29 PM
For that to be done then Crennel needs to convince Pioli to trade/cut Cassel going into next year or there will be a QB controversy. As stated in the OP I'm good with it as long as the Chiefs bring in a rookie and take a look at Stanzi as well. This team needs a QB in place for the next decade that can make us a competitor for championships.

Baby Lee
12-20-2011, 01:36 PM

Is that a helmet on Rodger's head? No it IS NOT!!

http://twentytwowords.com/wp-content/uploads/Aaron-Rodgers-Photobomber.jpg

JD10367
12-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Saying Orton is better than Cassel is like saying a Honda Fit is a better racing car than a Kia Rio.

Reerun_KC
12-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Saying Orton is better than Cassel is like saying a Honda Fit is a better racing car than a Kia Rio.

Jesus Christ, we are talking about Kyle ****ing Orton and Matt ****ing Cassel..

People cant actually be spending time debating this shit, can they?

doomy3
12-20-2011, 01:52 PM

Posts in this particular Kyle Orton thread by Reerun_KC:

boogblaster
12-20-2011, 01:55 PM
he should if he continues winning ...

loochy
12-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Glad you like it!

You two need to calibrate your monitors. I can still see a slight square around the edge. Why not just make the background transparent? It's a GIF after all.

loochy
12-20-2011, 02:01 PM

says the man with a SmartCar

ChiefsCountry
12-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Posts in this particular Kyle Orton thread by Reerun_KC:

Orton is his new Herm Edwards.

loochy
12-20-2011, 02:05 PM
cassel will leave and become the new JASON BABIN

ReynardMuldrake
12-20-2011, 02:07 PM
You two need to calibrate your monitors. I can still see a slight square around the edge. Why not just make the background transparent? It's a GIF after all.

Hmm, good point. OK, I redid it with a transparent background.

loochy
12-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Hmm, good point. OK, I redid it with a transparent background.

There you go. Now it is suitable for any situation in which you might want to identify yourself as a retard.

Reerun_KC
12-20-2011, 02:14 PM
There you go. Now it is suitable for any situation in which you might want to identify yourself as a retard.

it needs a pirate hat?

Reerun_KC
12-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Orton is his new Herm Edwards.

I am Doomy's...

loochy
12-20-2011, 02:21 PM
it needs a pirate hat?

har har har

dar

BigMeatballDave
12-20-2011, 02:23 PM
I am Doomy's...

I bet your head is about to explode with all this Orton stuff. LOL

Reerun_KC
12-20-2011, 02:32 PM
I bet your head is about to explode with all this Orton stuff. LOL

Not really,

I have been a Chiefs fan since 1988... I understand this fanbase and the quest for 9-7...

Chocolate Hog
12-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Fuck Matt Cassel

doomy3
12-20-2011, 03:16 PM
I am Doomy's...

Hardly. You've become a caricature of yourself.

Dicky McElephant
12-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Not really,

I have been a Chiefs fan since 1988... I understand this fanbase and the quest for 9-7...

Funny thing is....no one takes you seriously around here.

Guru
12-20-2011, 03:26 PM
I was really surprised when Crennel came right out and said this during his first post game presser when he doesn't even for sure have the job. I kind of expected a more politically correct answer but he came right out and said what was on his mind. IMO thats one of the positives about him as a potential HC. At least he doesn't sound opposed to replacing a player if they are outperformed by somebody else. True competition at all positions can only be good for the team.

Could be a killer for him as well if Pioli doesn't like that kind of talk.

Reerun_KC
12-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Funny thing is....no one takes you seriously around here.

Its a message board, I dont take anything or anyone serious here.. IF you do, then LMAO....

rocknrolla
12-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Why can't Pioli see it?

FYP

Reerun_KC
12-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Hardly. You've become a caricature of yourself.

Thanks pimptastic!

Dexter Manley
12-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Strike one on Romeo.

QBs don't win football games, TEAMS DO...

DaWolf
12-20-2011, 03:42 PM

It's really not a comment that I think Pioli would disagree with. Crennel didn't just come out and say that Orton was gonna be the guy, he just said if a guy produces, then you'd be a fool not to look at him as a potential solution moving forward.

I think it was just a flashback to when both he and Pioli were in New England in 2001, and right after they had handed Bledsoe a huge long term contract, Bledsoe went out and got hurt, and Brady came in and got the team rolling, and they ended up getting rid of Bledsoe and going with the guy who produced.

So while everyone is stuck on the idea that Pioli will never move on from Cassel, I think he will have no problem doing so if he feels like there is another guy on his team or available for the taking who is a clear cut upgrade and clear cut better fit for the team.

I'm still not convinced though that Orton is that guy based on his history. I just see him as, essentially, very similar to Cassel. Can have the occasional good game, but is way too inconsistent...

Extra Point
12-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Cassel will be gone, next year.

loochy
12-20-2011, 04:16 PM

Well, not Matt Cassel at least.

htismaqe
12-20-2011, 04:18 PM
I think it was just a flashback to when both he and Pioli were in New England in 2001, and right after they had handed Bledsoe a huge long term contract, Bledsoe went out and got hurt, and Brady came in and got the team rolling, and they ended up getting rid of Bledsoe and going with the guy who produced.

Bledsoe got hurt in the 2nd game of the season and Brady went on to win the frickin Super Bowl.

That's a far cry different from what will likely be 3 starts for Orton before KC goes home for the offseason because they missed the playoffs.

Dexter Manley
12-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Well, not Matt Cassel at least.

If Orton pulls a Vince Young, and the Chiefs win with no offensive production at all, but rather on returns and turnovers, what will Romeo say then?

Orton won the game??

Get real.

Romeo was doing fine. I don't like that comment...

JD10367
12-20-2011, 05:50 PM
says the man with a SmartCar

Yes, but I'm a Patriots fan, so my quarterback is a Ferrari, motherfucker. :D

-King-
12-20-2011, 06:15 PM
If Orton pulls a Vince Young, and the Chiefs win with no offensive production at all, but rather on returns and turnovers, what will Romeo say then?

Orton won the game??

Get real.

Romeo was doing fine. I don't like that comment...

What if Jason Babin was starting at qb?
Posted via Mobile Device

Messier
12-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Strike one on Romeo.

I don't think Romeo has any strikes yet.

dannybcaitlyn
12-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Strike one on Romeo.

Tell that to the Colts!

whoman69
12-20-2011, 07:12 PM

just curious.

Because Cassel has almost as much knowledge to pass along as Manning?

Cassel brings nothing to the table.

BigMeatballDave
12-20-2011, 08:13 PM

Do you believe Orton is a Huge upgrade over Cassel? I certainly do.

I don't think anyone here believes Orton is going to lead this or any team to a SB win.

What is worth debating is if Orton should be retained for next season.

IMO, Pioli will not draft a QB high, or even attempt to deal to move up to do so.

I believe he thinks Stanzi is the guy.

el borracho
12-20-2011, 08:21 PM
En la tierra de los ciegos, el tuerto es rey.

SNR
12-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Strike one on Romeo.

QBs don't win football games, TEAMS DO...In 1972 they did.

Not in today's game

teedubya
12-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Step 1. Sign Orton.
Step 2. Cut Cassel.
Step 3. Kick Cassel in the nuts.
Step 4. ???
Step 5. Profit!

stonedstooge
12-20-2011, 08:38 PM

I don't think anyone here believes Orton is going to lead this or any team to a SB win.

IMO, Pioli will not draft a QB high, or even attempt to deal to move up to do so.

Thinks he hit his Tom Brady on his first try? Sweet

Reerun_KC
12-20-2011, 08:39 PM

You serious?

I think you believed that Stanzi was the guy, but the Chiefs dont, otherwise he would have praticed and played this year...

I believe you are speculating without out facts from Pioli himself...

Dexter Manley
12-20-2011, 08:47 PM
In 1972 they did.

Not in today's game

Did Trent Dilfer win the Super Bowl, or did the Ravens?

Jake Delhomme, Rex Grossman...

you can get to the Super Bowl with a terrible QB...

Peyton Manning is a bit different with the Colts. Indeed, clearly, the data is "in" on that score...

My favorite - Jeff Hostetler - clearly he won the Super Bowl, and Lawrence Taylor and the NYG D had nothing to do with it...

whoman69
12-20-2011, 08:49 PM
You serious?

I think you believed that Stanzi was the guy, but the Chiefs dont, otherwise he would have praticed and played this year...

Brady didn't get off the inactive list his first year either.

I have my doubts Pioli will go high for a QB either for the reason that he wants to have an experienced QB under center.

Reerun_KC
12-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Brady didn't get off the inactive list his first year either.

I have my doubts Pioli will go high for a QB either for the reason that he wants to have an experienced QB under center.

So your are saying that the Stanzi is the next Brady?

whoman69
12-20-2011, 08:50 PM
Did Trent Dilfer win the Super Bowl, or did the Ravens?

Jake Delhomme, Rex Grossman...

you can get to the Super Bowl with a terrible QB...

Peyton Manning is a bit different with the Colts. Indeed, clearly, the data is "in" on that score...

My favorite - Jeff Hostetler - clearly he won the Super Bowl, and Lawrence Taylor and the NYG D had nothing to do with it...

They didn't make the defenses so impotent with the rules back then. An average or below average QB is not going to get the job done anymore.

whoman69
12-20-2011, 08:52 PM

I didn't say that at all. I'd like for him to get a shot to prove what we have. He won't prove or disprove that from the bench. IMO Pioli is following his recipe from what happened with Brady.

stonedstooge
12-20-2011, 08:53 PM

In Pioli's mind

Dexter Manley
12-20-2011, 08:54 PM
They didn't make the defenses so impotent with the rules back then. An average or below average QB is not going to get the job done anymore.

No doubt the rule changes, especially for DBs, make it easier for QBs.

A great defense still shuts out a lot of teams.

The real point is that our current interim head coach should never imply

TEAM = just QB

and hopefully he won't make that mistake again.

Dexter Manley
12-20-2011, 08:55 PM
In Pioli's mind

Wasn't Cassel the "next Brady?"

whoman69
12-20-2011, 09:00 PM
No doubt the rule changes, especially for DBs, make it easier for QBs.

A great defense still shuts out a lot of teams.

The real point is that our current interim head coach should never imply

TEAM = just QB

and hopefully he won't make that mistake again.

The last three years the organization has been saying we can get by with just an average QB (that may be an upgrade from reality). I hope the organization won't make that mistake again.

BigMeatballDave
12-20-2011, 09:01 PM
You serious?

Duh. Of course its speculation.

I don't know what Stanzi is.

Reerun_KC
12-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Duh. Of course its speculation.

I don't know what Stanzi is.

:hmmm:

Okay... I was just messing with you...

Dexter Manley
12-20-2011, 09:02 PM
The last three years the organization has been saying we can get by with just an average QB (that may be an upgrade from reality). I hope the organization won't make that mistake again.

Average may be overly kind...

JD10367
12-20-2011, 09:06 PM
You serious?

It's hard to say what's going on in KC. On the one hand, I agree with this take, and it frustrates me that they haven't seen what he offers. On the other hand, Belichick and Pioli kept Tom Brady, in his rookie year, as a fourth QB behind Drew Bledsoe, John Friesz, and Michael "Bound For The CFL" Bishop. IIRC he didn't dress or take a snap. :shrug:

Reerun_KC
12-20-2011, 09:07 PM
It's hard to say what's going on in KC. On the one hand, I agree with this take, and it frustrates me that they haven't seen what he offers. On the other hand, Belichick and Pioli kept Tom Brady, in his rookie year, as a fourth QB behind Drew Bledsoe, John Friesz, and Michael "Bound For The CFL" Bishop. IIRC he didn't dress or take a snap. :shrug:

Guess we will never know...

DaWolf
12-20-2011, 09:44 PM
Bledsoe got hurt in the 2nd game of the season and Brady went on to win the frickin Super Bowl.

That's a far cry different from what will likely be 3 starts for Orton before KC goes home for the offseason because they missed the playoffs.

Brady also continued to play during the season even when Bledsoe got healthy, which actually pissed off a lot of Patriots fans at the time. But the point is, it was obvious to everyone in that building that the Patriots were playing better team football with Brady in there. There was no move to go back to the guy they had just handed the big contract to. And this was all before he went on to win the Super Bowl that year.

This is not to compare Orton to Brady or anything like that. It's just to say that because Pioli likes a guy and gave him a big contract, he of all people knows what it is like if you find someone else who fits in better with the team, moves the ball, and wins you games...

TEX
12-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Orton should be the starter regardless...

WhiteWhale
12-20-2011, 10:58 PM
I support keeping Orton.

Look, here are our options.

1. Keep Cassel and Orton and have them compete for the starting job.

2. Keep Cassel, let Orton walk. Draft a QB.

3. Keep Orton, let Cassel walk. Draft a QB.

4. Dump both, draft a QB, and let he or Stanzi start.

I like option #3 the best. Option 1 is garbage (but I'm 100% sure that's what will come to pass) and option #4 kinda falls into the 'putting all eggs into single basket'.

Orton should be looked at for what he is: A mediocre (or 'solid') Journeyman Quarterback who can operate as a stop gap.

I don't see a problem with it unless the team views Orton as a long term solution (which I believe they will).

Tuckdaddy
12-20-2011, 11:03 PM
King Carl approves of this message.

KILLER_CLOWN
12-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Step 1. Sign Orton.
Step 2. Tell Cassel The Chiefs wish him to get bent.
Step 3. Kick Cassel in the nuts.
Step 4. Cut Cassel.
Step 5. Profit!

FYP!

Smed1065
12-20-2011, 11:18 PM
This could very well be a repost, so I apologize in advance if it is. I didn't see it anywhere on the first page unless it's mixed in on another thread. Pretty interesting that Crennel has come out and said this already IMO.

Interim coach Romeo Crennel said Kyle Orton should be the Chiefs' 2012 starter if he wins the final two games.
There's a ton of uncertainty in Kansas City, so Crennel is getting way ahead of himself here. He's no lock to get the head coaching job, Orton is an impending free agent, and Matt Cassel is under contract through 2014. Still, Orton may truly be a better option than Cassel. The Chiefs would be foolish not to at least consider using him as a "bridge" to a rookie quarterback they might draft in April. Dec 20 - 8:59 AM
Source: Kansas City Star

http://dev.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3214/kyle-orton

Yeah first post.............:clap:

Okie_Apparition
12-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Babin got a 1 game suspension for breaking apart in mid-air while playing the Jets

mjdoesnfl
12-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Does anyone know what the financial downside would be to cutting Cassel? If we waive him and nobody picks him up, does that mean we still have to give him the rest of his $65m?

IMO it's a little early to have an opinion on Kyle but as people have said, he certainly goes through his rotation faster. Also, I like the touch he puts on the ball to make it easier to catch. Cassel likes to throw lasers.

Remember, Cassel had some big games last year. The Raiders should put more pressure on Orton Sunday. Matt has had to survive behind a pourous, sub-average line, lets see what Kyle can do.

Also something to consider, I'm convinced that one reason Matt was chosen was because Pioli knew how bad the O-line was and knew he needed someone durable. He is that, he's taken some real shots this year and come back from them. Also I'm sure that his game was affected early in the year when he had bruised ribs. Stanzi doesn't look that tough, not sure about Orton.

mjdoesnfl
12-21-2011, 07:02 AM
I think we might be wiser to draft a crushing DLman. Either a big, built for purpose nosetackle (we've really missed Smith this year), or rushing complement to Hali at the other end. If we had more of a run stuffing NT then I think that DJ would be turned loose to wreak havok even more.

My thinking is that the best thing we could do for our offense would be to give them the ball more often in better field position. We should get Moeaki and Charles back albeit not as good but still better weapons, we should do ok scoring, but we need to be able to stop people better.

Dexter Manley
12-21-2011, 07:26 AM
"If we waive him and nobody picks him up, does that mean we still have to give him the rest of his $65m? "

No, and I doubt any more of his contract is guaranteed. I think if he is cut, he does clear waivers, and the Chiefs are off the hook completely.

bevischief
12-21-2011, 07:56 AM
I support keeping Orton.

Look, here are our options.

1. Keep Cassel and Orton and have them compete for the starting job.

2. Keep Cassel, let Orton walk. Draft a QB.

3. Keep Orton, let Cassel walk. Draft a QB.

4. Dump both, draft a QB, and let he or Stanzi start.

I like option #3 the best. Option 1 is garbage (but I'm 100% sure that's what will come to pass) and option #4 kinda falls into the 'putting all eggs into single basket'.

Orton should be looked at for what he is: A mediocre (or 'solid') Journeyman Quarterback who can operate as a stop gap.

I don't see a problem with it unless the team views Orton as a long term solution (which I believe they will).

yep.

htismaqe
12-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Brady also continued to play during the season even when Bledsoe got healthy, which actually pissed off a lot of Patriots fans at the time. But the point is, it was obvious to everyone in that building that the Patriots were playing better team football with Brady in there. There was no move to go back to the guy they had just handed the big contract to. And this was all before he went on to win the Super Bowl that year.

This is not to compare Orton to Brady or anything like that. It's just to say that because Pioli likes a guy and gave him a big contract, he of all people knows what it is like if you find someone else who fits in better with the team, moves the ball, and wins you games...

Right but that was 2 games into the season, not 2 games LEFT in the season. Completely different situation because of the timeline and sample size.

Pasta Giant Meatball
12-21-2011, 08:38 AM
There is a very good chance the QB depth charts is:

Orton
Cassel
Stanzi

next year. Very good chance.

Count Alex's Losses
12-21-2011, 08:43 AM

Orton
Cassel
Stanzi

You have to wonder if Cassel will want any part of being a backup, or if the Chiefs want to pay him 5 mil to be a backup.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-21-2011, 08:43 AM

Orton
Cassel
Stanzi

I don't see us keeping both Orton and Cassel next year. One will be gone.

Denny
12-21-2011, 08:45 AM

Orton
Cassel
Stanzi

Cassel is due to make $5.25M in 2012.

Are the Chiefs REALLY going to pay that kind of money for a backup? :hmmm:

FringeNC
12-21-2011, 08:49 AM
You have to wonder if Cassel will want any part of being a backup, or if the Chiefs want to pay him 5 mil to be a backup.

Will Cassel even be in the league next year? He's "earned" SO much money from Clark Hunt over the last 3 years, will he bother playing for backup money, because he's certainly done being a starter in this league...

milkman
12-21-2011, 08:52 AM
This talk of Orton as the potential starter next year is premature.

Romeo Crennel is not the coach going into next season yet.

Orton is a free agent this offseason.

And I don't believe for a second that Pioli has any plan to change QBs.

The idiot had a bird's eye view of what Cassel is in New England, and still hitched his wagon to him when he took the riegns of this franchise.

Pasta Giant Meatball
12-21-2011, 08:58 AM

Good point about the cash, but Cassel needs to realize that being a backup is his place in this league.

FringeNC
12-21-2011, 09:07 AM

The idiot had a bird's eye view of what Cassel is in New England, and still hitched his wagon to him when he took the riegns of this franchise.

If Orton plays well the next two games, and we let him walk, and go into next year with Cassel, I'd have to imagine there'd be a significant hit to season ticket sales. Left to his own devices, Pioli probably would like to continue with Cassel. Not sure Clark Hunt would allow it to happen.

johnny961
12-21-2011, 10:58 AM

Yep. Kinda what I was thinking.

Denny
12-21-2011, 11:09 AM

That talk is all VERY hypothetical.

IF Orton plays as well over the next 2 games.

IF Crennel is the next HC.

Otherwise, don't get too worked up about it.

However...

Kyle is determined to remain a starting QB. In Denver, Orton made it clear that he had no intentions of re-signing to "mentor" or back-up Tebow. He also made it clear that he would not sign an extension/new contract with any team the Broncos might trade him to unless he was clearly to be the starter. He didn't want to be a band-aid QB while a team prepped a draft-pick to replace him.

So unless Cassel is traded or forced to seriously re-structure his contract, I think he looks to remain the starter in KC. Orton won't sign any contract with the Chiefs while that is the case.

Right now, he's simply auditioning for his next team...

chiefscafan
12-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Well then great do we go into next year

1. Cassel
2. Stanzi
3. Palko

Because if thats the case season tickets will be cancelled for sure. I'm also not sure if cassel wouldn't be booed when he took the field.

Sorry I've seen enoughof cassel now to form the opinion he panics, doesn't go through his progressions, and has no pocket awareness. If this were the case how many games does he get to screw up before stanzi gets a chance.

Sorry I dump cassel and sign orton. Keep Stanzi draft a developmental QB with a lot of potential or trade up for RG 3 or Barkley.

Mr_Tomahawk
12-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Well then great do we go into next year

1. Cassel
2. Stanzi
3. Palko

Because if thats the case season tickets will be cancelled for sure. I'm also not sure if cassel wouldn't be booed when he took the field.

Sorry I've seen enoughof cassel now to form the opinion he panics, doesn't go through his progressions, and has no pocket awareness. If this were the case how many games does he get to screw up before stanzi gets a chance.

Sorry I dump cassel and sign orton. Keep Stanzi draft a developmental QB with a lot of potential or trade up for RG 3 or Barkley.

No.

Palko is in his final year of his contract.

chiefscafan
12-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Thank god for that I'm starting to think if orton wins out

Are depth chart looks like this

1. Orton
2. Cassel
3. Stanzi

I hope I'm wrong bout cassel

HC/DC Romeo
OC mcdaniels

Mcdaniels worked with both cassel and orton before

Orton knows he can beat out cassel Stanzi competes with cassel for back up.

Though as I said i'd dump cassel not sure pioli will though. I'd draft a QB and have orton as the starter stanzi as backup and let drafted QB learn and be groomed.

jd1020
12-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Thank god for that I'm starting to think if orton wins out

Are depth chart looks like this

1. Orton
2. Cassel
3. Stanzi

I hope I'm wrong bout cassel

HC/DC Romeo
OC mcdaniels

Mcdaniels worked with both cassel and orton before

Orton knows he can beat out cassel Stanzi competes with cassel for back up.

Though as I said i'd dump cassel not sure pioli will though. I'd draft a QB and have orton as the starter stanzi as backup and let drafted QB learn and be groomed.

The Chiefs wont pay Cassel 5/7/9mil a year to be backup. He's going to be cut or he's going to be the Chiefs 2012 opening day starter.

Orton is not going to sign a contract to be a backup. If he plays the rest of the year like he did against the Packers, teams will be knocking on his door to be starter. Teams like the Vikings/Jags who have their QBotF but clearly arent ready to start yet or teams like Cleveland/Seattle who need a starting QB and may miss out on the top 3 QB's in the draft.

2012 is going to be:

1) Cassel/Orton
2) Stanzi/???
3) ???/Stanzi

Dexter Manley
12-21-2011, 01:01 PM

You assumed he actually watched...

chiefscafan
12-21-2011, 02:11 PM
I can't back cassel and his check downs and passes in the dirt

I can't see how they can bring him back

If orton wins out

BossChief
10-12-2012, 12:31 AM
bump

Chocolate Hog
10-12-2012, 12:38 AM
I guess 1 out of 2 wasn't good enough :(

BossChief
10-12-2012, 12:43 AM

and of all plaayers that fucked up our win against the Raiders, it was Romeos prize player from NEs defense Seymour with 2 blocked field goals to beat us in a game we should have won.

Oh well...also remember that Romeo didnt promote Cassel until he had no other choice due to Piolis choices.

He said at the combine that he wanted Peyton, would trade up for RG3, that Cassel was only the quarterback until we get another quarterback and interviewed and worked out Luck, RG3 and Tannehill and then had private workouts with RG3 and Tannehill, too.

I firmly believe that Romeo wants nothing to do with Cassel.

Discuss Thrower
10-12-2012, 12:46 AM
and of all plaayers that fucked up our win against the Raiders, it was Romeos prize player from NEs defense Seymour with 2 blocked field goals to beat us in a game we should have won.

Oh well...also remember that Romeo didnt promote Cassel until he had no other choice due to Piolis choices.

He said at the combine that he wanted Peyton, would trade up for RG3, that Cassel was only the quarterback until we get another quarterback and interviewed and worked out Luck, RG3 and Tannehill and then had private workouts with RG3 and Tannehill, too.

So he knows Stanzi sucks terribly then, right?

htismaqe
10-12-2012, 07:23 AM

Ahem.

Deberg_1990
10-12-2012, 08:33 AM

He won 2 out of 3. Of course, the last one against Denver didnt end up mattering much.

dannybcaitlyn
10-13-2012, 03:10 PM
and of all plaayers that ****ed up our win against the Raiders, it was Romeos prize player from NEs defense Seymour with 2 blocked field goals to beat us in a game we should have won.

We should have traded our first for Seymour!

BossChief
10-13-2012, 03:13 PM
He won 2 out of 3. Of course, the last one against Denver didnt end up mattering much.

Both of those wins were against playoff teams, too.

dannybcaitlyn
10-13-2012, 03:15 PM
We should have traded our first for Seymour!

We reached and picked Tyson jackson instead. Give me the proven probowler anyday.

Der Flöprer
10-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Not signing Kyle Orton may cost Scott Pioli his job. Wow. What a stubborn jackass.

Count Alex's Losses
10-13-2012, 03:18 PM
That's not true. I was told Kyle Orton and Matt Cassel were equivalent players.

BossChief
10-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Not signing Kyle Orton may cost Scott Pioli his job. Wow. What a stubborn jackass.

This.

BossChief
10-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Pioli really fucked Romeo over this offseason.

Orton
Campbell
Tannehill
Manning

Any of those guys would have saved Piolis job. The fact he ignored all of them is cause for dismissal.

"decision making detrimental to the team"

Count Alex's Losses
10-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Pioli didn't fuck anyone. Especially Romeo, who just padded his retirement account.

BossChief
10-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Pioli didn't fuck anyone. Especially Romeo, who just padded his retirement account.

Romeo made numerous comments about wanting Orton back after this was reported.
Romeo interviewed RG3 and said at the combine he is "the type of qb you go up and get"
Romeo was vocal about Manning
Romeo interviewed Tannehill twice and had a private workout with him...he obviously liked him.
Romeo said "Cassel is the starter until we get another quarterback"

All of this was over the course of a couple months and all he got was a Pioli surprise of waking up one day finding out he had signed Quinn.

Tell me again how he didn't get fucked over.

Count Alex's Losses
10-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Romeo wasn't winning crap here either way.

He got a nice fat check.

chiefzilla1501
10-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Romeo made numerous comments about wanting Orton back after this was reported.
Romeo interviewed RG3 and said at the combine he is "the type of qb you go up and get"
Romeo was vocal about Manning
Romeo interviewed Tannehill twice and had a private workout with him...he obviously liked him.
Romeo said "Cassel is the starter until we get another quarterback"

All of this was over the course of a couple months and all he got was a Pioli surprise of waking up one day finding out he had signed Quinn.

Tell me again how he didn't get ****ed over.

Boss, I'm with you on this. Romeo was pretty outspoken from the moment he got named interim.

I despised the Romeo hire. But you are absolutely right that Romeo made it clear as day he wanted a new qb. Fuck pioli. Let me also mention that while Romeo promoted qb competition when Quinn came in, pioli said outright... Quinn is our backup, cassel is our starter. Fuck pioli.

Nobody will ever want to work with pioli unless it's mcdaniels. I agree that Romeo got fucked over.

Der Flöprer
10-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Scott couldn't find a fucking soul besides Romeo who would take the fucking job. Charlie Weis bolted as quick as he could. Was it Haley, or was it Scott? Weis could work for Belicheck, he respected him. How about working for the new Scott? I dunno, maybe Haley wasn't the reason Weis waddled away as quick as he did...

BossChief
10-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Scott couldn't find a fucking soul besides Romeo who would take the fucking job. Charlie Weis bolted as quick as he could. Was it Haley, or was it Scott? Weis could work for Belicheck, he respected him. How about working for the new Scott? I dunno, maybe Haley wasn't the reason Weis waddled away as quick as he did...

Matt Cassel was the main problem for every ounce of fail we have had to endure.

Trading a second rounder for him wasnt a bad decision IMO...even though I hated Cassel.

Signing him to that retarded deal (sorry jason) and handcuffing him to the starting spot has overshadowed some very solid moves that Pioli has made for this franchise since.

It's a real shame...all he guy had to do was his job and keep trying to find a franchise quarterback and he would be a hero.

People on here would be photoshopping him in a superman suit if he had moved up for RG3 or Tannehill.

Count Alex's Losses
10-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Cassel is not the only problem with the franchise. That's an incredibly simplistic point of view.

The defense has been a dumpster fire this season far too much, and everyone knows Crennel is a fat, worthless puppet.

Don't even get me started on the drafts. We all know they have been vastly overrated.

BossChief
10-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Every single draft pick would play better if we had a qb that gave them hope instead of take it from them.

Brandon Flowers intercepts a pass from Flacco and one play later, Cassel wastes a timeout and then throws a pick when a tight end is wide open on the other side of the field.

That's just one example of probably 20, this year alone, that Cassel stole the energy from this team.

It's no mistake that the team plays energized once Cassel is out.

They know they have a chance without him.

Count Alex's Losses
10-13-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm sure Javier Arenas would play better with QB hope. LMAO

You just need to cut bait. This GM is fail. We're literally a play or two away from 0-5.

BossChief
10-13-2012, 04:28 PM

You just need to cut bait. This GM is fail. We're literally a play or two away from 0-5.

This GM is fail because he chose Cassel over

Dalton
Campbell
Orton
Manning
Tannehill

Not because he didn't draft well.

Count Alex's Losses
10-13-2012, 04:31 PM
We're one of the worst teams in the league with Cassel.

Without him, we'd probably be a fringe playoff contender.

It's a bunch of wastoid bullshit either way.

mcaj22
10-13-2012, 06:19 PM
This GM is fail because he chose Cassel over

Dalton
Campbell
Orton
Manning
Tannehill

Not because he didn't draft well.

he also didnt draft well in the last 4 years. I dont care if you are still a homer and think guys like Tony Moeaki are good. Because newsflash: they are not. Pioli has had way more turds or average nobodies than he has had hits and it's not even close

especially when you consider all the play makers around every single pick he has passed on over a 4 year span, ignoring the BPA for his massive ego to make a Pioli pick

but hey, "it's a process"

htismaqe
10-13-2012, 06:22 PM

It's.

thurman merman
10-13-2012, 06:36 PM

:facepalm::facepalm:

thurman merman
10-13-2012, 06:37 PM

And a Cassel goal line fumble away from 2-3.

Count Alex's Losses
10-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Hey, homer. Missed you.

Coogs
10-13-2012, 07:08 PM
We're literally a play or two away from 0-5.

I'd say play. Saints TD that was overturned for ball hitting the ground... then they missed the FG. Play looked like a TD to me... and if it doesn't get overturned we are down 31-6 instead of 24-6.