PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Wilson

Mr_Tomahawk
01-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Evan Silva @evansilva
#Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson requested Draft Advisory grade this wk. With Jones & Barkley staying fair to wonder if Wilson will see an opening.

Thoughts?

O.city
01-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Like him better than Landry Jones.

Interesting prospect.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Anyone of his strengths and weaknesses?

Does he have an Arm?

O.city
01-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Arkansas runs a pass happy offense and he throws alot of deep balls.

If we could get him along with one of the fast wrs at Arkansas as a package deal that would be fine.

ChiefsCountry
01-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Anyone of his strengths and weaknesses?

Does he have an Arm?

Really good arm can make NFL throws. Tough as nails. Weaknesses to me is he doesn't have the best mechanics. Reminds me alittle of bit of Jay Cutler.

O.city
01-05-2012, 04:21 PM
He needs to have his mechanics cleaned up a little but he has a really good arm.

Gunslinger type.

NewChief
01-05-2012, 04:26 PM
He needs to have his mechanics cleaned up a little but he has a really good arm.

Gunslinger type.

There's speculation that his decision making and vision is sometimes suspect as well. That's why Petrino rides his ass so hard. I don't mean suspect in the way that Mallett was suspect in putting the ball in the wrong place, but suspect in reading the defenses and making the right calls/checkdowns from what he sees.

That being said, he's a great prospect. He just needs another year.

Pestilence
01-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Any idea on what round he'd go in?

NewChief
01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Any idea on what round he'd go in?

This year? I don't think he'd go in the first. I, honestly, don't think he's going to enter the draft.

O.city
01-05-2012, 04:44 PM
If he enters this year, He will likely go in the first based on this qb class being shit.

Saul Good
01-05-2012, 04:53 PM
This year? I don't think he'd go in the first. I, honestly, don't think he's going to enter the draft.

Wishful thinking. He's a first rounder and should go if Barkley and Jones both stay.

Pestilence
01-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Would it be a huge reach to take him at #11?

O.city
01-05-2012, 05:06 PM
I would take him at 11 and give him the Ponder treatment.

Saul Good
01-05-2012, 05:06 PM
There is no such thing as a huge reach for the best QB on the board, IMO.

O.city
01-05-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm a partial Hogs fan, so maybe it's a little homerish but I really like the guy.

He throws a really good deep ball and seems to have a really strong arm. Just needs to clean up some of his mechanics.

SNR
01-05-2012, 06:18 PM
How is he against pressure? That's my biggest thing. Accuracy is important, but if I don't see a QB prospect have the ability to not shit his pants, I really don't want any part of him.

ChiefsCountry
01-05-2012, 06:19 PM
I hope he declares. You resign Orton and let Wilson learn for a year and you got something special IMO.

SNR
01-05-2012, 06:44 PM
12/09/11 - Tight end Chris Gragg and quarterback Tyler Wilson have each submitted their names for feedback from the NFL Draft Advisory board. Both said they expected to be back for 2012, but wanted to see where they stood. Wilson, named earlier this week as the coaches and Associated Press first-team, all-SEC quarterback, has thrown for 3,422 yards with 22 touchdowns and six interceptions. “I did just out of curiosity wanted to see what my grade is going to be,” Wilson said. “There's a lot of people that have done it. Really there's nothing more to it. … just interested to see where it comes out.” Gragg has 40 catches for 492 yards and two touchdowns. “Right now I’m coming back. But I did turn my name in,” Gragg said. - Chris Bahn, ArkansasSports360

O.city
01-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Wilson could be the 3 qb that will be drafted.

If thats the case he would be stupid not to come out.

JBucc
01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I think he's an ok prospect but not great right now, definitely needs a lot of refinement. He does have trouble with not seeing the entire field. Like, the entire left side of the field. He did get hit a whole lot this year, some of that is on him but mostly on one inexperienced tackle and another who just sucks. But perhaps because of all that pressure he tends to get panicky and run off when he still has time in the pocket. He probably should have thrown about double the picks he did, at least 4 were dropped by Vandy alone. And I mean straight to the defender walk into the endzone type drops.

Maybe I'm being too harsh since I haven't really watched other teams this year. And because Petrino seems upset with him all the time. When he does stay in the pocket he actually is pretty good at stepping up and avoiding guys. And he can be super accurate at times.

I'm not worried for Arkansas if he does declare. Brandon Mitchell is really talented and has had a few years in the system now. And I've heard Brandon Allen has been more impressive in practice than either of them.

O.city
01-05-2012, 07:35 PM
He's got a top notch arm.

The Cutler comparisons are pretty close.

Bump
01-05-2012, 10:16 PM
If he enters this year, He will likely go in the first based on this qb class being shit.

:spock:

this is like one of the best QB prospect classes in a while

BryanBusby
01-06-2012, 01:30 AM
:spock:

this is like one of the best QB prospect classes in a while

After Luck and RG3, it really dips south.

Saul Good
01-06-2012, 06:02 AM
I think he's an ok prospect but not great right now, definitely needs a lot of refinement. He does have trouble with not seeing the entire field. Like, the entire left side of the field. He did get hit a whole lot this year, some of that is on him but mostly on one inexperienced tackle and another who just sucks. But perhaps because of all that pressure he tends to get panicky and run off when he still has time in the pocket. He probably should have thrown about double the picks he did, at least 4 were dropped by Vandy alone. And I mean straight to the defender walk into the endzone type drops.

Maybe I'm being too harsh since I haven't really watched other teams this year. And because Petrino seems upset with him all the time. When he does stay in the pocket he actually is pretty good at stepping up and avoiding guys. And he can be super accurate at times.

I'm not worried for Arkansas if he does declare. Brandon Mitchell is really talented and has had a few years in the system now. And I've heard Brandon Allen has been more impressive in practice than either of them.

In the NFL, half of the balls that should be picked aren't. In college, it's even more than that. Over the course of a season, it all balances out.

eazyb81
01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
There's speculation that his decision making and vision is sometimes suspect as well. That's why Petrino rides his ass so hard. I don't mean suspect in the way that Mallett was suspect in putting the ball in the wrong place, but suspect in reading the defenses and making the right calls/checkdowns from what he sees.

That being said, he's a great prospect. He just needs another year.

Of course you think that.

:p

eazyb81
01-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Kiper said he'd be the #3 QB if he came out.

Chiefnj2
01-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Kiper said he'd be the #3 QB if he came out.

Says a lot about Tannehill/Foles/Cousins.

Danman
01-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Can't wait for the game tonight to see how he does

O.city
01-06-2012, 12:23 PM
I'd love to have him in the first if we could.

Chiefnj2
01-06-2012, 12:25 PM
I'd love to have him in the first if we could.

Never waste a 1st round pick on a 1 year starting QB.

O.city
01-06-2012, 12:28 PM

He played alot his sophmore year when Nose Candy got hurt.

He looked alot better than Sanchez did in one year. However I do see what you are saying. The pigs have a really good wr core that maybe hid some deficiencces.

Danman
01-06-2012, 12:47 PM
However if you watch the youtube videos he actually throws the ball-deep. I know, a strange concept for the Chiefs

SNR
01-06-2012, 12:53 PM
He played alot his sophmore year when Nose Candy got hurt.

He looked alot better than Sanchez did in one year. However I do see what you are saying. The pigs have a really good wr core that maybe hid some deficiencces.Goes against the tree's draft philosophy regarding QBs. It's not like we'd draft him at 12 even if he declared and was available.

O.city
01-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Goes against the tree's draft philosophy regarding QBs. It's not like we'd draft him at 12 even if he declared and was available.

Yeah. We won't.

But he will def be the 3 qb drafted.

Frankie
01-06-2012, 01:26 PM
I hope he declares. You resign Orton and let Wilson learn for a year and you got something special IMO.Keep fucking doubting Ricky Da Man Stanzi.

Says a lot about TannehillI've recently been on Tannehill at trade-down bandwagon. But since this came out I'm intrigued by Wilson too. Without the benefit of the combine yet, I wouldn't mind either one at a proper trade down.

If Pioli was ever capable of thinking outside the box this scenario would put a high potential QB on the bench whom along with Stanzi might just be an actual solution to our QBOTF problem. Meanwhile it would make another year of Orton acceptable an another year of Cassel ALMOST bearable.

Never waste an early 1st round pick on a 1 year starting QB.
FYP

Mr_Tomahawk
01-06-2012, 01:34 PM

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.472760!/img/httpImage/image.jpg

Saul Good
01-06-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm good with drafting him at 11 as long as we commit to sittting him for a minimum of one full season and possibly two seasons. Coming out early means he will need to spend more time learning and watching before being thrown into the mix.

Chiefnj2
01-06-2012, 01:36 PM

started 3 years

O.city
01-06-2012, 01:39 PM
actually only started 2 years.

Saul Good
01-06-2012, 01:39 PM

It seems like a lot of QBs have come out looking great as rookies only to suck in the following years.

Bradford
Freeman
McCoy
Sanchez
Even Flacco really hasn't progressed much.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-06-2012, 01:40 PM
And I am sure those "other" years was the film scouts were watching closely when he was playing for the school for the blind...

Mr_Tomahawk
01-06-2012, 01:45 PM
And just thinking of Cams journey...

...Could any two QBs (former Gators) be anymore opposite in what they bring to their team than CAM and Tebow?

O.city
01-06-2012, 01:57 PM
If we resigned Orton, I'd take Wilson with our 1st

Mr_Tomahawk
01-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Anyone know when he suppose to receive his "grade"?

O.city
01-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Wilsons completion percentage is low but he does play in the SEC. I'd say that has to play into the whole thing a little.

Plus he has a shit oline.

Count Zarth
01-06-2012, 09:06 PM
I like this kid a lot.

Threw a fantastic deep ball earlier in this game, reads the field pretty good, pro style offense unless I'm mistaken.

Count Zarth
01-06-2012, 09:07 PM
If we resigned Orton, I'd take Wilson with our 1st

This is his only year as a starter. I'd bet he stays put a year.

O.city
01-06-2012, 09:12 PM
I think with the qb class going to shit he might come out. He should atleast.

whoman69
01-07-2012, 07:08 PM
I think with the qb class going to shit he might come out. He should atleast.

You don't come out if you don't have enough experience. Just because the draft is thin and someone may push to get you earlier than you should, when you wash out the career is over.

O.city
01-07-2012, 07:48 PM
You don't come out if you don't have enough experience. Just because the draft is thin and someone may push to get you earlier than you should, when you wash out the career is over.

So go back to college to get experience from a college coach, drop back in the pocket in game three, a DL tackles you, tearing up your shoulder and you are never the same?

As we have seen with rookie qbs you are gonna have to get NFL experience no matter what before you become successful.

Enter the draft, get drafted, get paid, sit if you have too, become an NFl qb.

Just my opinion and I will never fault a guy for going back to schoo.

Saul Good
01-08-2012, 02:06 PM

You come out when you have a guaranteed massive payday.

O.city
01-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Saul, if he enters and is there at 11 would you take him?

ArrowheadMagic
01-08-2012, 03:39 PM

He passes the eye test. Probably a guy that the team interviews will determine where he goes. Fall back to the games started in college vs success in the NFL and he fails. Physical tools are there.

Would take him if he didnt need to play his first year. Think he is a better prospect if he comes out next year. If we do draft a 1st rd QB, think Cassel out performs Orton. Orton will not resign if we plan on taking a QB.

Saul Good
01-08-2012, 03:39 PM

Probably. I'd like to see how he does at the combine, but we need a QB, and he would be the best QB on the board.

ArrowheadMagic
01-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Probably. I'd like to see how he does at the combine, but we need a QB, and he would be the best QB on the board.

Reaching for a 1st rd QB, doesnt make him a 1st rd QB.

But yes, we need a QB.

Saul Good
01-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Reaching for a 1st rd QB, doesnt make him a 1st rd QB.

But yes, we need a QB.

He's likely a first round QB whether we draft him or not. If he's worth a late first round pick, and he's the best QB on the board when we pick, he's worth #11. In fact, if he's not worth drafting at #11, he's not worth drafting.

ArrowheadMagic
01-08-2012, 03:56 PM
He's likely a first round QB whether we draft him or not. If he's worth a late first round pick, and he's the best QB on the board when we pick, he's worth #11. In fact, if he's not worth drafting at #11, he's not worth drafting.

His lack of starts, works against him. Physical tools are 1st rd. His play isnt. Yet. Agree if you'd take him 30th you take him 11th. A lot of factors work against 1st year starting QB's.

Still a better prospect next year.

Saul Good
01-08-2012, 06:58 PM
His lack of starts, works against him. Physical tools are 1st rd. His play isnt. Yet. Agree if you'd take him 30th you take him 11th. A lot of factors work against 1st year starting QB's.

Still a better prospect next year.

Next year he either tanks or he improves his draft stock to the point where we don't have a shot at him. That said, if you're a top 20 pick at QB, you should go pro. It's not like he's going to go ahead of Barkley next year. The most he can improve, assuming that he grades high enough that KC would take him at 11, would be to be the second QB rather than the third QB.

vASILII
01-08-2012, 07:11 PM
It is not fair

DJ's left nut
01-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Damn...we must really be desperate if Wilson's getting this much love and much of it is unconditional.

I've seen Wilson play a couple of games and I'm just not as impressed by him as some of you appear to be. In fact, that Bowl game clinched it for me.

He's a 'body' thrower. He seems to have a fairly strong arm, but it's not easy velocity. He needs to put a lot of windup into it to really get it moving. In all honestly - he reminds me of Cassel in that regard. As secondaries get handcuffed, defenses are going to look to harass QBs even more. As a consequence, that pocket that allows QBs to step and fire is going to become less and less frequent. A guy that needs to have his legs under him to generate his arm strength isn't going to get to show it off that often.

He's skittish. There were several times where he broke the pocket due to phantom pressure. And when he did, he was extremely cavalier with the football. Those are some tough habits to get rid of.

He's not terribly accurate. Sure, he hit on some deep balls, but he missed a few as well. The first deep touchdown was underthrown by a couple of steps - he got lucky it wasn't deflected. And the later deflection was a ball that he flat missed on. He had a 3 yard by 3 yard window for a massive TD pass and he simply missed the throw. Worse still, he didn't put enough air under it for his WR to adjust to it. It was a terrible pass.

He never looked anyone off and rarely appeared to go through progressions. He just dropped back and heaved or fired to his first read. He didn't do any of those little 'quarterback' things.

I saw very very little I liked out of Tyler Wilson. I was hoping to be impressed by him, but that performance didn't do a thing for me. There are some physical tools there and if he was available in the 2nd, I'd consider him. But there's no way I'd take him in the 1st and I think I'd keep him behind Tannehill and even Foles on my list of QBs.

Frankie
01-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Damn...we must really be desperate if Wilson's getting this much love and much of it is unconditional.

Alabama's McCarron looked good enough for some love here. Just think, he can come out in two years.

Chief Roundup
01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Tyler Wilson is much better than Mallett.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-10-2012, 03:21 PM
So he has 5 days to declare?

NewChief
01-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Tyler Wilson is returning.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/01/arkansas-quarterback-tyler-wilson-staying-nfl-draft/1

jd1020
01-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Tyler Wilson is returning.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/01/arkansas-quarterback-tyler-wilson-staying-nfl-draft/1

For what this draft could have been as far as the QB position is concerned, took a hard nose dive with all of the QBs deciding to return to school.

DaKCMan AP
01-13-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm more impressed with a different Tyler in the SEC: Tyler Bray, QB for Tennessee. He lost his top WR Justin Hunter in game 3 and then got injured in game 5 and missed 5 weeks. When he returned he didn't look good in their final 2 games. He tore it up against weaker competition at the start of the season, but as mentioned didn't have Justin Hunter against tougher opponents. He's definitely a guy to watch next season in his junior year and 2nd as a starter (although it's an added plus that he played significantly as a true freshman too).

Frankie
01-13-2012, 11:57 AM
For what this draft could have been as far as the QB position is concerned, took a hard nose dive with all of the QBs deciding to return to school.

I'm more impressed with a different Tyler in the SEC: Tyler Bray, QB for Tennessee. He lost his top WR Justin Hunter in game 3 and then got injured in game 5 and missed 5 weeks. When he returned he didn't look good in their final 2 games. He tore it up against weaker competition at the start of the season, but as mentioned didn't have Justin Hunter against tougher opponents. He's definitely a guy to watch next season in his junior year and 2nd as a starter (although it's an added plus that he played significantly as a true freshman too).

We are not getting a high draft QB this year anyway. Might as well start putting next year's crop under the microscope. These two posts are a good start.

Danman
01-16-2012, 07:51 AM

With all the turnover on Dooley's staff? UT won't do anything next year

Bewbies
01-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Tyler Bray is a stud.

Danman
01-16-2012, 09:19 AM
We shall see. I see way too much turmoil on that team

Direckshun
01-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if there's no attempt by the Chiefs to land a QB of the Future in 2012, because the pickings (and therefore, value) will be tons better in 2013.

DJ's left nut
01-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Tyler Bray is a stud.

Agreed.

There's a lot of inertia he'd have to overcome to leapfrog Barkley, but I think he has the talent to be the #1 quarterback in the draft next year.

SNR
01-16-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm more impressed with a different Tyler in the SEC: Tyler Bray, QB for Tennessee. He lost his top WR Justin Hunter in game 3 and then got injured in game 5 and missed 5 weeks. When he returned he didn't look good in their final 2 games. He tore it up against weaker competition at the start of the season, but as mentioned didn't have Justin Hunter against tougher opponents. He's definitely a guy to watch next season in his junior year and 2nd as a starter (although it's an added plus that he played significantly as a true freshman too).Tyler Bray is clearly a bust waiting to happen. He is so bad he couldn't even beat out Jonathan Crompton in his freshman year /Stanzi haters

Bewbies
01-16-2012, 02:38 PM
Agreed.

There's a lot of inertia he'd have to overcome to leapfrog Barkley, but I think he has the talent to be the #1 quarterback in the draft next year.

Tennessee sucks, but Bray and his #1 WR are both going to be very high picks when they enter the NFL.