PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Crennel Will be the DC.

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-12-2012, 10:52 AM
JoshLooneyJosh Looney
From what I can gather, Crennel will be 1st head coach in #Chiefs history to also serve as the team's defensive coordinator

Pestilence
01-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Not surprising. He still needs to bring in a young DC to groom and tutor him for the future.

Frosty
01-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Not surprising. He still needs to bring in a young DC to groom and tutor him for the future.

Anthony Pleasant? Or is he still too green?

tooge
01-12-2012, 10:57 AM
no problem with this. its what he did the last three games and the D played well. He just needs an good offensive coordinator that can mix it up and call plays to the players that he has stregnths and they will be fine.

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2012, 11:01 AM
You'd better hope so. It'll give that hack something to do. The last thing you want is that talentless fatass running the team.

htismaqe
01-12-2012, 11:01 AM
no problem with this. its what he did the last three games and the D played well. He just needs an good offensive coordinator that can mix it up and call plays to the players that he has stregnths and they will be fine.

Ummm...

Count Zarth
01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
You'd better hope so. It'll give that hack something to do. The last thing you want is that talentless fatass running the team.

Romeo is talentless?

I'm as disappointed he's our HC as anyone but he's a damn good DC.

talastan
01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Am I wrong to think that it would be easier for a HC to be a DC than an OC? I would think since defense is more reactionary calling the defense would be less focus intensive than the strategy involved with calling plays for an offense; therefore allowing him to be able to call the D and focus on the game as a whole? Just curious.....:shrug:

the Talking Can
01-12-2012, 11:06 AM
fine by me

dirk digler
01-12-2012, 11:07 AM

Yeah I know those 2 40+ games, giving up 31 pts to winless Dolphins and the D quitting against the piss poor Jets suggest that

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Romeo is talentless?

As a head coach? **** yes, he's talentless.

I know he wants head coach money, but he's in far above his head in that job.

And I remain unconvinced that he's a particularly talented coordinator.

Deberg_1990
01-12-2012, 11:08 AM
NOt sure i like the sound of this. Dude was already a failure in his first HC gig, now in his return hes going to start off by spreading himself thin??

Count Zarth
01-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Yeah I know those 2 40+ games, giving up 31 pts to winless Dolphins and the D quitting against the piss poor Jets suggest that

The defense finished 11th overall. WITHOUT Eric Berry.

Our D was fine, and cherry picking a couple bad games doesn't change that.

Shag
01-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Not a huge fan. Should have hired a DC, even if Romeo was calling the D on gameday...

talastan
I'm fine with Crennel wearing both hats. IMO if we had a different HC we would have risked that HC changing up the Defense which is currently the functioning side of our team. Crennel did a great job HC and DC against one of the best offenses in the league this last year when he kept Rodgers and the Pack in check and won that game. He has proven he can do the job. Did he call the defense in Cleveland?

htismaqe
NOt sure i like the sound of this. Dude was already a failure in his first HC gig, now in his return hes going to start off by spreading himself thin??

Bingo.

RustShack
Well since they want to find an OC to take full control of the offense, shouldn't be a problem.

dirk digler
01-12-2012, 11:12 AM

a couple of bad games? The Donkeys only put up 460 RUSHING yds against us in 2 games

htismaqe
01-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Well since they want to find an OC to take full control of the offense, shouldn't be a problem.

Wanting to find one and finding one are two different things.

Look at the possible candidates out there and then see how that affects your feeling about this move.

I think we're fucked but I expected as much.

Mr. Laz
From what I can gather

well then, find out or shut up

DaWolf
I'm cool with it. He'll still bring in or elevate someone (Gibbs) who will be DC in name and put together the defensive gameplan and RAC will have a large hand in putting that gameplan together. Then he'll call the plays on Sundays, which is all good.

If he's going to do this of course, he will likely have minimal input into how the offense is run outside of "this is how I'd like the attack to go this weekend to mesh with our overall gameplan this week." But it just stresses how critical it will be that we bring in a superb offensive coordinator who will basically be able to run his own show over there. If we don't get that OC hire right, Romeo is as doomed as Herm was when he made the ridiculous Solari promotion...

Count Zarth
01-12-2012, 11:14 AM
a couple of bad games? The Donkeys only put up 460 RUSHING yds against us in 2 games

Yeah, and they scored 20 points in two games.

Are you seriously gonna sit here and tell me we didn't play awesome defense in the season finale, despite 220 yards rushing?

Fritz88
01-12-2012, 11:16 AM
I sense some overbearing responsiblites for the old man.
Posted via Mobile Device

dirk digler
01-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah, and they scored 20 points in two games.

Are you seriously gonna sit here and tell me we didn't play awesome defense in the season finale, despite 220 yards rushing?

Could you imagine what would have happened if they had a legit QB? They would have won by 2 TD's or more with those rushing numbers.

Count Zarth
01-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Could you imagine what would have happened if they had a legit QB? They would have won by 2 TD's or more with those rushing numbers.

Can you imagine if the Chiefs had Eric Berry?

Just shut up already. Finishing 11th on the year without Eric Berry, and with the offense sucking to high heaven, is a remarkable accomplishment.

DJ's left nut
01-12-2012, 11:21 AM
That's fine - but they really need to bring in a damn good O-Coordinator now.

Romeo can do the job of HC and DC, but he'll need to all but completely abrogate his responsibilities on offense to do them well. As such, he needs an extremely strong offensive mind in place and a premier administrator as well to essentially run the entire offense over the course of the week.

If you're going to raise the degree of difficulty by having one guy cover 2 roles - you'd better have premier coaching talent across the board to cover for it. Jim Zorn as a QB coach qualifies - Jim Zorn as an OC does not.

Oh who the fuck am I kidding, of course it's going to be Jim Zorn.

I hate this team.

the Talking Can
01-12-2012, 11:24 AM

Romeo can do the job of HC and DC, but he'll need to all but completely abrogate his responsibilities on offense to do them well. As such, he needs an extremely strong offensive mind in place and a premier administrator as well to essentially run the entire offense over the course of the week.

If you're going to raise the degree of difficulty by having one guy cover 2 roles - you'd better have premier coaching talent across the board to cover for it. Jim Zorn as a QB coach qualifies - Jim Zorn as an OC does not.

Oh who the **** am I kidding, of course it's going to be Jim Zorn.

I hate this team.

IT'S ZORNTASTIC
ZORNGASM
INZORNABLE

dirk digler
01-12-2012, 11:28 AM

Just shut up already. Finishing 11th on the year without Eric Berry, and with the offense sucking to high heaven, is a remarkable accomplishment.

You just want me to shut up because you know I am right. Romeo is an ok DC but I think this is a bad idea for him to add another role considering he had problems doing the original one.

KCtotheSB
01-12-2012, 11:29 AM

This.

What the defense did was amazing, despite the early season duds and games vs Denver.

Count Zarth
01-12-2012, 11:29 AM
You just want me to shut up because you know I am right. Romeo is an ok DC but I think this is a bad idea for him to add another role considering he had problems doing the original one.

Hey, maybe this is a bad idea.

All I'm saying is Romeo is a good DC. If you can't see that you are blind.

-King-
01-12-2012, 11:33 AM

Romeo wouldn't have ran the same defense if they had a different Qb.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
01-12-2012, 11:35 AM

He's an ok DC yet he almost had a top 10 defense with its best player missing and with the offense going 3 and out damn near every single drive.

Ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

HemiEd
01-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Wanting to find one and finding one are two different things.

Look at the possible candidates out there and then see how that affects your feeling about this move.

I think we're ****ed but I expected as much.

To bad they burned a couple OCs lately, hopefully the reputation is all on Haley.

HonestChieffan
01-12-2012, 11:38 AM
This sounds like a train wreck

bevischief
01-12-2012, 11:39 AM
How many other HC are also the DC?

BoneKrusher
01-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Just get a Really Good Offensive Coordinator and i'm OK with it.

Chiefnj2
01-12-2012, 11:40 AM

In some ways it is good, in other ways they played a lot of teams with bad QBs - Denver twice, a Raiders team that put an unprepared QB in the first game, Painter, Hainie, McNabb and a struggling Rivers early in the year.

HemiEd
01-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Hey, maybe this is a bad idea.

All I'm saying is Romeo is a good DC. If you can't see that you are blind.

After suffering through all those years of Gunther and a little Greg Robinson thrown in, I don't understand anyone that doesn't love what has happened with this defense.

Smed1065
01-12-2012, 11:42 AM

More like this, puppet would be better?

Hell we still have Castle so who cares.

bevischief
01-12-2012, 11:43 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/1/12/2702425/romeo-crennel-kansas-city-chiefs-defense

Romeo Crennel Will Still Be Involved With The Chiefs Defense

Headshot_tiny by Joel Thorman on Jan 12, 2012 11:50 AM CST

21 comments
Story-email Email
Printer Print

Photo

Doug Pensinger - Getty ImagesMore photos »

One of the reasons I thought Romeo Crennel made sense as the new Kansas City Chiefs head coach is because of his past experience with the defense. KC's defense ranked 12th in the NFL this year and in the final three games of the season -- the Romeo Crennel era -- they gave up 14, 16 and 3 points. The only real progress we saw in 2011 came from the defense (although that was admittedly shaky at times).

I wanted to keep that defensive momentum going and it sounds like Crennel will still have a heavy hand in the defense moving forward.

While he hasn't yet officially named a defensive coordinator (whether that's himself or someone else) Crennel does plan on calling the defensive plays in 2012. This according to a recent interview with Adam Schein and Rich Gannon on Sirius XM NFL Radio.

Crennel handled both those duties well in the final three games so on a small sample size we know he can be successful as both the head coach and the defensive coordinator. Obviously, someone on the staff will have to step up to replace some of the duties Crennel did as the defensive coordinator but in the big picture he'll still be involved.

The next step is determining whether Crennel names himself the defensive coordinator or if someone else is brought in from the outside or elevated from within. The news that Crennel plans on calling the defensive plays makes me think the team is more likely to hire from within.

DaWolf
01-12-2012, 11:45 AM
In some ways it is good, in other ways they played a lot of teams with bad QBs - Denver twice, a Raiders team that put an unprepared QB in the first game, Painter, Hainie, McNabb and a struggling Rivers early in the year.

And you know what, we did what we needed to do against those guys. I still remember all the times in the past under Gunther or under Greg Robinson where we'd make some average QB's look like all-pros.

We also were the only team to slow down Aaron Rodgers.

Now if we could only field an offense who doesn't have as many three and outs as we did...

Count Zarth
01-12-2012, 11:45 AM

:facepalm:

Yeah, and we did what you're supposed to do to bad QBs.

We shut the Raiders out, we held the Broncos to 3, we eviscerated Hanie, etc.

We also stomped the shit out of Roethlisberger and Rodgers.

DaWolf
01-12-2012, 11:48 AM

The reason they put up those rushing numbers is because of the type of offense they run with that particular QB. They're not putting up 220 on the ground with a pro-set offense with Orton behind center, but they also wouldn't be throwing for only 60 yards...

Fritz88
01-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Romeo wouldn't have ran the same defense if they had a different Qb.
Posted via Mobile Device

Interesting perspective.
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe
01-12-2012, 11:54 AM

Oh who the **** am I kidding, of course it's going to be Jim Zorn.

I hate this team.

Exactly.

They NEED a strong OC but they won't get one.

WEE R FUCKED.

Bump
01-12-2012, 12:22 PM
a lot of coaches do this, not a big deal really. He has some experience as head coach, I trust he knows what he's doing.

DeezNutz
01-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Must get high-quality assistant HC to manage the game.

FringeNC
01-12-2012, 12:29 PM
I've always assumed Crennel was going to be DC, whether in official title or not. He'll control the defense. Fine. Who will control the offense? I'm sure that's what Crennel and Pioli are spending their time trying to determine. I wonder if being stuck with Pioli's Golden Child is making the search difficult.

Chocolate Hog
01-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Good.

Detoxing
01-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Must get high-quality assistant HC to manage the game.

This.

The only way Crennel works out here is if he gets both an Assistant HC and OC.

Oh...

And a QB not named Cassel will go along way too....

xztop12
01-12-2012, 12:40 PM

stupid stat. when the offense sucks the defense will play better because teams dont have to put up huge stats to get a comfortable lead

Chief Roundup
01-12-2012, 12:43 PM

If you start changing players you start changing the gameplan. Legit QB...like the Packers?

Count Zarth
01-12-2012, 12:47 PM
stupid stat. when the offense sucks the defense will play better because teams dont have to put up huge stats to get a comfortable lead

LMAO

11th overall is a stupid stat?

How should we judge the defense?

notorious
01-12-2012, 12:49 PM
JFC there are some retards on CP today.

Chocolate Hog
01-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Huh?

Mojo Jojo
01-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Epic Fail...the last time Pioli let someone be a HC and a coordinator...didn't work so well.

DeezNutz
01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Epic Fail...the last time Pioli let someone be a HC and a coordinator...didn't work so well.

Valid point, but what needs to happen is that RAC must be, essentially, the DC on Sundays. Someone else needs to be handling time outs, challenges, overall game management.

RAC can orchestrate things during the week, but he absolutely must have another competent HC, for all intents and purposes, on Sundays.

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Chiefs Coordinator Search Could Take A While

by Joel Thorman on Jan 12, 2012 1:51 PM CST

0 comments
Email
Print

We might be waiting a while for the Kansas City Chiefs to name their offensive and/or defensive coordinators. Bill Williamson of ESPN.com interviewed Romeo Crennel this week and in a blog post indicates that the position(s) are unlikely to be filled in the "immediate future".

Check out the full story here.

The big highlight is that Crennel tells Williamson he hopes to conduct interviews for potential candidates next week and at the Senior Bowl, which is 16 days away. That's a sign that this thing could take a while. Like a couple of weeks.

Perhaps the Chiefs are waiting, like they did with Todd Haley, until a team finishes their playoff run. If that's the case then the it doesn't seem like they would be capitalizing on the advantage of getting an early start on the process, as they've talked about in recent weeks. As long as the right guy is hired, I suppose the timing doesn't really matter.

Williamson lists a few potential candidates in the story. I think the idea of Crennel promoting someone from within on the defensive side makes a lot of sense, especially with the news that he'll continue to call the defensive plays. On the offensive side, I don't think anyone has a really good read on what they'll do.

Then again, some coordinator the Chiefs really like could get fired tomorrow and then the search would be over. It's cliche but it is a fluid process (but I just hope it's not, like, early February-fluid).

Chief Roundup
01-12-2012, 12:58 PM

HUH??
When the offense sucks the D spends 40 minutes or so on the field and they get wore out.
If we had an offense that was middle of the road the defense would be even better because they would be a lot fresher.

Micjones
01-12-2012, 12:58 PM
There's no one currently on the staff that he can promote?
I don't like the idea of him wearing both hats. Not for an entire season.

Detoxing
01-12-2012, 12:59 PM

0 comments
Email
Print

We might be waiting a while for the Kansas City Chiefs to name their offensive and/or defensive coordinators. Bill Williamson of ESPN.com interviewed Romeo Crennel this week and in a blog post indicates that the position(s) are unlikely to be filled in the "immediate future".

The big highlight is that Crennel tells Williamson he hopes to conduct interviews for potential candidates next week and at the Senior Bowl, which is 16 days away. That's a sign that this thing could take a while. Like a couple of weeks.

Perhaps the Chiefs are waiting, like they did with Todd Haley, until a team finishes their playoff run. If that's the case then the it doesn't seem like they would be capitalizing on the advantage of getting an early start on the process, as they've talked about in recent weeks. As long as the right guy is hired, I suppose the timing doesn't really matter.

Williamson lists a few potential candidates in the story. I think the idea of Crennel promoting someone from within on the defensive side makes a lot of sense, especially with the news that he'll continue to call the defensive plays. On the offensive side, I don't think anyone has a really good read on what they'll do.

Then again, some coordinator the Chiefs really like could get fired tomorrow and then the search would be over. It's cliche but it is a fluid process (but I just hope it's not, like, early February-fluid).

I have no issue with this. He needs to get the best OC possible. Crennel WILL hand the offense over to someone, so that someone needs to be to be legit.

I just hope it's not some old fuck like Muir.

J Diddy
01-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Except when they're out there 45 minutes a game. Except when they are constantly forced to defend a short field.

You are assuming a team will get up 21 points and put in their third string and run every down. From what I saw from Detroit, Buffalo, and Miami that did not happen.

Micjones
01-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Valid point, but what needs to happen is that RAC must be, essentially, the DC on Sundays. Someone else needs to be handling time outs, challenges, overall game management.

RAC can orchestrate things during the week, but he absolutely must have another competent HC, for all intents and purposes, on Sundays.

So in other words we should've hired someone else?

Chief Roundup
01-12-2012, 01:02 PM

I assume you are talking about Haley after they let go of Gailey.
Well Gailey was forced on Haley by Clark. When they realized it wasn't going to work they let Gailey go. It was late so there was no one out there to be hired. That is not on Haley or Pioli but on Clark.

Simplicity
01-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Good hire. The Browns didn't have the talent that we currently have so RAC will be MORE successful.

stonedstooge
01-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Got to have Romeo do something since Pioli is the real head coach

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2012, 01:14 PM
a lot of coaches do this...

Hell, I'd bet that Belichick had to do it when he had a marginal DC.

HemiEd
01-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Go suck a Tebow.

slapnutz_4
01-12-2012, 01:35 PM

i hate when people do this... every single person is different... im not saying rac will work out doing both but i am not going to judge it by it didn't work the last time

Chocolate Hog
01-12-2012, 01:54 PM

0 comments
Email
Print

Last time we did this we ended up with Bill Muir.

BigRock
01-12-2012, 02:01 PM

In his first gig, he left the defense in the hands of coordinators. It ranked 26th or worse in 3 of his 4 years. Would you prefer he make the same mistake all over again?

If Romeo wasn't calling the defense, I don't even know what the point of having him here would be.

htismaqe
01-12-2012, 02:02 PM
If Romeo wasn't calling the defense, I don't even know what the point of having him here would be.

Probably shouldn't have hired him to be the HEAD COACH then, huh?

Cave Johnson
01-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Not a huge fan. Should have hired a DC, even if Romeo was calling the D on gameday...

+1.

ChiefsCountry
01-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Really doesn't matter since Matt Cassel will be the QB.

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I really wonder whether this is part of a grand strategy or an opportunity for Hunt to save a buck.

The Bad Guy
01-12-2012, 02:17 PM
They are going to hire a DC to help with gameplanning, but Romeo is going to call the defense on Sunday.

BigRock
01-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Probably shouldn't have hired him to be the HEAD COACH then, huh?

Can't cry over spilt milk forever. Point being, this news is positive. Romeo as a head coach who doesn't call the defense has been done. It failed. At least this has a chance.

ClevelandBronco
01-12-2012, 02:24 PM
They are going to hire a DC to help with gameplanning, but Romeo is going to call the defense on Sunday.

Sure, but he's still going to be the most affordable DC in the league. Nobody with juice is going to take this job.

DBOSHO
01-12-2012, 02:32 PM
This defense will be fucking stupid when berry comes back.

Top 5.

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-12-2012, 02:43 PM
jthom1Jim Thomas

What might have been. . .Early on in Rams coach search, they sought permission to talk with Kansas City's Romeo Crennel, but were rebuffed.

htismaqe
01-12-2012, 02:49 PM
jthom1Jim Thomas

What might have been. . .Early on in Rams coach search, they sought permission to talk with Kansas City's Romeo Crennel, but were rebuffed.

Meaning Crennel was the HC all along and everything we did otherwise was smoke and mirrors.

DeezNutz
01-12-2012, 02:50 PM
So in other words we should've hired someone else?

Yes.

Not a big fan of HCs as coordinators, too, and I know there are examples of successes. Not surprisingly, these guys tend to have top QBs.

Chocolate Hog
01-12-2012, 03:12 PM
jthom1Jim Thomas

That wouldn't have worked very well.

NJChiefsFan
01-13-2012, 12:33 AM

Interesting.

I hope the OC they get can help him out during game day so Romeo can focus on the defense. The OC hire is going to be really important. They are going to have to be somebody that Romeo can hand the keys to and walk away for the rest of the season. Of course none of it matters if Matty is still here.

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2012, 12:38 AM
This defense will be fucking stupid when berry comes back.

Top 5.

Yep. I have a semi thinking about it.

chiefzilla1501
01-13-2012, 03:56 AM

This is my concern too. This may sound ridiculous, but he should also consider doing what Herm did and hiring a game manager (except... he should actually hire somebody that knows what he's doing as opposed to Dick Curl). If he's calling plays, it's going to be a lot harder for him to be paying attention to situational stuff.

J Diddy
01-13-2012, 04:12 AM
Meaning Crennel was the HC all along and everything we did otherwise was smoke and mirrors.

In my opinion, the way the players rallied behind him, the performance in the 3 games and the general public's perception of him sealed the deal.

I think if they'd have went any other way there would have been an uproar.

chiefzilla1501
01-13-2012, 04:44 AM
In my opinion, the way the players rallied behind him, the performance in the 3 games and the general public's perception of him sealed the deal.

It wouldn't have been the first or last time a popular coach took over midseason for an unpopular one. It's happened many, many times. I think if the Chiefs went the Cowboy way and offered Romeo a big contract to stay as DC, good chance they would have still kept him and the players would have been fine with it. Even if he left, the players would learn to deal.

I'm not a big fan of the hire, but it is what it is.

el borracho
01-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Sooooo... a 64 year old fatty with a history of medical problems is going to take on the additional responsibilities of head coach and maintain all of his old duties, as well? Who comes up with these plans?

htismaqe
01-13-2012, 07:52 AM

The majority of Chiefs fans are idiots then.

htismaqe
01-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Interesting.

I hope the OC they get can help him out during game day so Romeo can focus on the defense. The OC hire is going to be really important. They are going to have to be somebody that Romeo can hand the keys to and walk away for the rest of the season. Of course none of it matters if Matty is still here.

There isn't anybody out there.

The OC hire is CRITICAL and there's NOBODY available.

They fucked this up, plain and simple.

Brock
01-13-2012, 07:55 AM

Mike Mart /5050

Chiefshrink
01-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Am I wrong to think that it would be easier for a HC to be a DC than an OC? I would think since defense is more reactionary calling the defense would be less focus intensive than the strategy involved with calling plays for an offense; therefore allowing him to be able to call the D and focus on the game as a whole? Just curious.....:shrug:

No you are not wrong. Damn guarantee you Schwartz holds Gunther's hand in Detroit. No way he let's Gunther call the whole game himself;)

Chiefshrink
01-13-2012, 08:14 AM

The uproar would have been more from the players than the fans IMO. As you said, you could clearly see the players really respond to Crennel and I think Pioli realized this.:thumb:

Pioli has enough problems on his hands with Cassel not producing and the Jim Zorn experiment failing(of course Pioli doesn't see it this way). The last thing Pioli needs is to have a team meltdown and he has a yes man in(Crennel) that won't give him sh** about a shi**y QB like Haley did IMO.

I really think Haley was very hesitant about Cassel from the beginning and it just became increasingly more tense over time between Haley and Pioli to the point where Haley was playing Palko to give Pioli the middle finger knowing he was going to be fired. Palko had no business being on that field as QB UNLESS all the other QBs were hurt.

htismaqe
01-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Mike Mart /5050

Dude, you're a genius.

We get Mike Martz and he comes in here with his Rams offense and gets Cassel KILLED.

Perfect!

Chiefshrink
01-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Dude, you're a genius.

We get Mike Martz and he comes in here with his Rams offense and gets Cassel KILLED.

Perfect!

I like this plan:thumb: Because you know Pioli will continue to force a round peg in a square hole with Casshole;)

Barrymore50
01-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Simple OC solution: While Cassel is in the game, Orton calls the plays. When Orton is in the game, Cassel calls the plays. Easy peasy.

Detoxing
01-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Mike Mart /5050

God....I know you're just playing, but imagining Cassel trying to run a Martz offense is painful.

Talk about shitting the bed....

Detoxing
01-13-2012, 10:14 AM
The uproar would have been more from the players than the fans IMO. As you said, you could clearly see the players really respond to Crennel and I think Pioli realized this.:thumb:

Pioli has enough problems on his hands with Cassel not producing and the Jim Zorn experiment failing(of course Pioli doesn't see it this way). The last thing Pioli needs is to have a team meltdown and he has a yes man in(Crennel) that won't give him sh** about a shi**y QB like Haley did IMO.

I really think Haley was very hesitant about Cassel from the beginning and it just became increasingly more tense over time between Haley and Pioli to the point where Haley was playing Palko to give Pioli the middle finger knowing he was going to be fired. Palko had no business being on that field as QB UNLESS all the other QBs were hurt.

Sounds like a bunch of made up bullshit to me.

There have been reports that Haley was the driver of the Cassel Bandwagon and even played favorites with him.

If you spent more time on CP, you'd know this. Just sayin'........get your priorities straight, son.

htismaqe
01-13-2012, 11:00 AM
God....I know you're just playing, but imagining Cassel trying to run a Martz offense is painful.

Talk about shitting the bed....

With the way Cassel holds the ball, he'd be bed-ridden after 1 or 2 games.

Bring on Martz!!!

FringeNC
01-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Sounds like a bunch of made up bullshit to me.

There have been reports that Haley was the driver of the Cassel Bandwagon and even played favorites with him.

If you spent more time on CP, you'd know this. Just sayin'........get your priorities straight, son.

Whether you like Haley or not, I think it was pretty obvious that Haley hated Cassel more than we do. Perhaps he didn't call him out like he did other players because Cassel whined about it to Pioli.

Detoxing
01-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Whether you like Haley or not, I think it was pretty obvious that Haley hated Cassel more than we do. Perhaps he didn't call him out like he did other players because Cassel whined about it to Pioli.

Well, reports post Haley were that Haley was In Cassel's corner while Weiss was strongly opposed to him. I don't think Haley was against Cassel, but i do think he was forced to limit his offense because of how shittacular he was playing.

-King-
01-13-2012, 11:43 AM

There are tons of people available. You do realize that we don't have to hire someone that's been fired or currently out of a job right?

Micjones
01-13-2012, 11:51 AM

They ****ed this up, plain and simple.

There a couple solid names currently.
More will come available in the next 6-7 weeks.

talastan
01-13-2012, 11:52 AM
With a Packers exec running the Faid I wonder if we are going to try and go after Clements to keep him away from the Faid and we are just waiting till their season is done. I guess we can watch to see what Chokeland does with their coaching interviews over the next couple of weeks.

Rausch
01-13-2012, 11:52 AM
If you can be HC/OC you can be HC/DC...

boogblaster
01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
I was sure he'd be hands-on with the D .. so it dont hurt my feelings .. but he needs a good OC to call the O at game-time ......

htismaqe
01-13-2012, 01:00 PM
There are tons of people available.

If they never coached for the Patriots, they're not "available" at least not to the Chiefs.

htismaqe
01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
With a Packers exec running the Faid I wonder if we are going to try and go after Clements to keep him away from the Faid and we are just waiting till their season is done. I guess we can watch to see what Chokeland does with their coaching interviews over the next couple of weeks.

Other teams have already obtained permission to talk with Clements.

O.city
01-13-2012, 01:03 PM
It's gonna be someone from the tree.

Dunno if anyone else is as ready for this asshat to be fired as the GM as I am.

htismaqe
01-13-2012, 01:17 PM

I am.

O.city
01-13-2012, 01:20 PM
I realize you wanna do what is comfortable to you and hire people you trust, but IMO you gotta get a little creative sometimes to achieve true success.

We have a GM that for him to win here everything is gonna have to work out perfectly the way he wants it too. If everything doesn't go his way, we are up shits creek.

-King-
01-13-2012, 01:20 PM

I'm not.

the Talking Can
01-13-2012, 01:21 PM
nick wright just said he has a copy of 2011 defensive playbook and it's 450 pages...

O.city
01-13-2012, 01:21 PM
I bet the minute Berry went down, and we had piscitelli in that number was cut atleast in half.

Chocolate Hog
01-13-2012, 01:23 PM
nick wright just said he has a copy of 2011 defensive playbook and it's 450 pages...

Yeah hopefully whoever gave it to him gets his ass chewed out.

the Talking Can
01-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Yeah hopefully whoever gave it to him gets his ass chewed out.

pioli will go ballistic when he hears....wright started out saying he had seen a copy, then because he wanted brag he said he had a copy

O.city
01-13-2012, 01:25 PM
I don't see how he could get the legit playbook. I'd tend to think those are kept pretty tight to the chest.

-King-
01-13-2012, 01:34 PM
The offensive playbook was 14 pages ROFL

Dylan
01-13-2012, 04:14 PM
An insightful interview with Romeo Crennel in today's New York Post:

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2012/01/11/sports/web_photos/11.1s066.SerbyGiants.1.C.TA--300x300.jpg

Excerpts: Romeo Crennel, a Giants assistant coach in the 1980s and ’90s, last night provided The Post with the How to Beat the Packers Big Blueprint:

The Chiefs blitzed just eight times.

“Aaron does a good job of recognizing what defense you’re in,” Crennel said. “If you couldn’t get quick pressure on him, he was able to make plays down the field. He can also use his feet running away from pressure.”

PRESS COVERAGE: The old Bill Parcells Giants would disrupt Joe Montana’s rhythm by jamming Jerry Rice and beating him up as often as they could.

“[Rodgers is] very accurate, and he’s very accurate even versus press coverage,” Crennel said. “A lot of times they throw a back-shoulder fade or back-shoulder throw. We were able to get a couple of [interference] penalties in those situations when he attempted that.”

Why so much trust in his corners?

“You have to believe in your corners’ ability and you have to feel like you can [put] some pressure on the quarterback,” Crennel said.

PRESSER THE PASSER: Tamba Hali was a one-man wrecking crew with three sacks.

Nickel and Dime them
Packers coach Mike McCarthy abandoned the ground game, even with the Chiefs daring him to run it.

Crennel used 2-3-6 alignment, with a rare 1-4-6 changeup.

“We call that Big Nickel,” he said. “When we were concerned about the possibility of the run, we’d use that.”

Crennel guesstimated that the Chiefs used a spy on Rodgers approximately 20 percent of the time.

“We mixed it in some,” Crennel said. “Sometimes we’d use Derrick [Johnson] and sometimes we used [DE Allen Bailey].”

Why spy Rodgers?

“He can run,” Crennel said. “Even though he wants to throw, he can pull the ball down and run, and he can hurt you when he runs.”

DON’T SLEEP ON JERMICHAEL FINLEY: This 6-foot-5 tight end is a physical specimen who the Chiefs defended successfully with 6-foot-1, 205-pound cornerback Jalil Brown.

“Press man makes me slower and gets me off my mark,” Finley said.

“[Brown] likes to press, and we felt he’d be able to jam [Finley] a little bit,” Crennel said.

RUN OUTSIDE THE TACKLES: This is where the Packers are vulnerable. Make B.J. Raji run laterally.

Why did the Chiefs run outside the tackles?

“To try to stretch them a little bit and attack the edge,” Crennel said. “They’ve got those two big guys up inside. We didn’t want to bang our head up against a wall.”

The Chiefs (Thomas Jones, Jackie Battle, Dexter McCluster, Le’Ron McClain) accumulated 83 of their 139 yards against the Packers on the edges, for a 6.4-yard average.

KEEP THE PACKERS’ 3-4 ON THE FIELD: The Chiefs lined up with two receivers or fewer on 48 of 70 plays.

Why so many two receiver formations?

“To help us with the running game and help us with protection,” Crennel said.

The Packers do not mount a heavy pass rush from their 3-4.

How did the Chiefs approach returner Cobb?

“To try to keep it away from him as best we could,” Crennel said. “We knew he was a dangerous guy. And then we had to challenge our coverage guys about their coverage as well. Everybody had to give great effort to keep him contained.”

Crennel is the only coach to beat Rodgers and the Packers this season.

Read more of the Chiefs' Blue Print: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/big_blueprint_f5s5UR5xShhyJzNQBxyOaP#ixzz1jNU5SBt1

O.city
01-13-2012, 04:25 PM
I like that Romeo can get creative.

Not horribly excited about the hire, but I do like the continuity of the defense. With a healthy E. Berry and say Paul Soliai, this is a scary ass unit.

Dylan
01-13-2012, 04:36 PM
Not horribly excited about the hire, but I do like the continuity of the defense. With a healthy E. Berry and say Paul Soliai, this is a scary ass unit.

We felt horrible when the Giants hired Coughlin in 2004 a year after he was fired by the Jaguars.

We can only hope for the best.

aturnis
01-13-2012, 06:29 PM

In one of those games, didn't the Broncos only cross the 50 b/c Arenas muffed a punt.?

Frosty
01-14-2012, 12:35 AM
In one of those games, didn't the Broncos only cross the 50 b/c Arenas muffed a punt.?

No, they crossed the 50 several times. One of those times was the Teb0w fumble and on another, he took a sack that knocked them back out of FG range.

MahiMike
01-14-2012, 07:14 AM
I was very happy to hear this. Defense needs no changes on the coaching side.

Something else here - it's easier for a head coach to double as DC than OC. Time management comes more into play on offense.

htismaqe
01-14-2012, 08:24 AM
I was very happy to hear this. Defense needs no changes on the coaching side.

Something else here - it's easier for a head coach to double as DC than OC. Time management comes more into play on offense.

The problem is that he's the head coach. The added duty automatically means the defensive coaching is changing.

jd1020
01-14-2012, 08:50 AM
The problem is that he's the head coach. The added duty automatically means the defensive coaching is changing.

Huh?

Sounds to me like Crennel is only going to be "HC" by a technicality.

Okie_Apparition
01-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Defensive head coaches probably love them some Trent Richardson

htismaqe
01-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Huh?

Then why hire him? Oh yeah, because he's one the "chosen".

:rolleyes:

jd1020
01-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Then why hire him? Oh yeah, because he's one the "chosen".

:rolleyes:

No other options?

jspchief
01-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Huh?

Then who's the "actual" HC?

Or are you suggesting one isn't necessary?

jd1020
01-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Then who's the "actual" HC?

Or are you suggesting one isn't necessary?

Sounds like its going to be a collaboration of coaches but Crennel is ultimately the one with the "power."

Okie_Apparition
01-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Admit that a HC on the CHiefs' sideline again with a clipboard in his pants, gave ya'll the warm & fuzzies
The fact it stuck out far enough away for him to read it from there, was just icing

The Bad Guy
01-14-2012, 11:19 AM
If Nick Wright has a copy of the playbook, then whoever gave it to him needs to be gone.

Jesus Christ.

htismaqe
01-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Sounds like its going to be a collaboration of coaches but Crennel is ultimately the one with the "power."

I found it at Dictionary.com under the word "clusterfuck".

-King-
01-16-2012, 11:01 AM
An insightful interview with Romeo Crennel in today's New York Post:

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2012/01/11/sports/web_photos/11.1s066.SerbyGiants.1.C.TA--300x300.jpg

Excerpts: Romeo Crennel, a Giants assistant coach in the 1980s and ’90s, last night provided The Post with the How to Beat the Packers Big Blueprint:

The Chiefs blitzed just eight times.

“Aaron does a good job of recognizing what defense you’re in,” Crennel said. “If you couldn’t get quick pressure on him, he was able to make plays down the field. He can also use his feet running away from pressure.”

PRESS COVERAGE: The old Bill Parcells Giants would disrupt Joe Montana’s rhythm by jamming Jerry Rice and beating him up as often as they could.

“[Rodgers is] very accurate, and he’s very accurate even versus press coverage,” Crennel said. “A lot of times they throw a back-shoulder fade or back-shoulder throw. We were able to get a couple of [interference] penalties in those situations when he attempted that.”

Why so much trust in his corners?

“You have to believe in your corners’ ability and you have to feel like you can [put] some pressure on the quarterback,” Crennel said.

PRESSER THE PASSER: Tamba Hali was a one-man wrecking crew with three sacks.

Nickel and Dime them
Packers coach Mike McCarthy abandoned the ground game, even with the Chiefs daring him to run it.

Crennel used 2-3-6 alignment, with a rare 1-4-6 changeup.

“We call that Big Nickel,” he said. “When we were concerned about the possibility of the run, we’d use that.”

Crennel guesstimated that the Chiefs used a spy on Rodgers approximately 20 percent of the time.

“We mixed it in some,” Crennel said. “Sometimes we’d use Derrick [Johnson] and sometimes we used [DE Allen Bailey].”

Why spy Rodgers?

“He can run,” Crennel said. “Even though he wants to throw, he can pull the ball down and run, and he can hurt you when he runs.”

DON’T SLEEP ON JERMICHAEL FINLEY: This 6-foot-5 tight end is a physical specimen who the Chiefs defended successfully with 6-foot-1, 205-pound cornerback Jalil Brown.

“Press man makes me slower and gets me off my mark,” Finley said.

“[Brown] likes to press, and we felt he’d be able to jam [Finley] a little bit,” Crennel said.

RUN OUTSIDE THE TACKLES: This is where the Packers are vulnerable. Make B.J. Raji run laterally.

Why did the Chiefs run outside the tackles?

“To try to stretch them a little bit and attack the edge,” Crennel said. “They’ve got those two big guys up inside. We didn’t want to bang our head up against a wall.”

The Chiefs (Thomas Jones, Jackie Battle, Dexter McCluster, Le’Ron McClain) accumulated 83 of their 139 yards against the Packers on the edges, for a 6.4-yard average.

KEEP THE PACKERS’ 3-4 ON THE FIELD: The Chiefs lined up with two receivers or fewer on 48 of 70 plays.

Why so many two receiver formations?

“To help us with the running game and help us with protection,” Crennel said.

The Packers do not mount a heavy pass rush from their 3-4.

How did the Chiefs approach returner Cobb?

“To try to keep it away from him as best we could,” Crennel said. “We knew he was a dangerous guy. And then we had to challenge our coverage guys about their coverage as well. Everybody had to give great effort to keep him contained.”

Crennel is the only coach to beat Rodgers and the Packers this season.

Read more of the Chiefs' Blue Print: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/big_blueprint_f5s5UR5xShhyJzNQBxyOaP#ixzz1jNU5SBt1

Tom Coughlin and Perry need to thank Crennel.

ChiefsandO'sfan
08-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Since everyone dogged Haley as OC and HC. Thought i would bump this about Crennel.

el borracho
08-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Pioli really effed up; after the Haley firing, he (Pioli) should have found a young up-and-coming coaching staff and drafted a legit QB. Cassel is pure fail and Crennel won't be around long enough to do anything meaningful.

Bewbies
08-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Pioli really effed up; after the Haley firing, he (Pioli) should have found a young up-and-coming coaching staff and drafted a legit QB. Cassel is pure fail and Crennel won't be around long enough to do anything meaningful.

Thats not the Patriot Way