PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV When was/is the Golden Age of Television?

Buck
01-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Poll coming shortly.

HoneyBadger
01-13-2012, 01:44 AM
Seinfeld, SNL, Friends, Cheers... 90's.

Buck
01-13-2012, 01:52 AM

Seinfeld sucks
SNL was good for a while in the 90s
Friends I like
Never watched Cheers

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 02:01 AM
Seinfeld sucks
Friends I like
Never watched Cheers

How in the HELL could you say the 2000s is the best TV... it is by far and away the worst. Yes you have some good shows... but this is the age of crap like American Idol, Survivor, etc etc...

I am torn between 60s, 70s and 80s being best. I'll do some checking and put down my arguments... but right now I'm leaning toward 70s.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 02:11 AM
yeah, gonna have to go with 70s.

All in the Family, MASH, Barney Miller (best show ever), Six Million Dollar Man, Welcome Back Kotter, Sanford and Son, WKRP, Happy Days, Kung Fu, Fawlty Towers, The Odd Couple, Taxi, Columbo, Soap (also in the running for best show of all time), Bob Newhart Show, Rockford Files, Carol Burnett Show and The Mary Tyler Moore Show. (It'd be an even bigger slam dunk if Magnum PI had just been a year earlier!)

THAT is some amazing television... and I'm sure I left off a ton of good stuff.

Buck
01-13-2012, 02:19 AM
How in the HELL could you say the 2000s is the best TV... it is by far and away the worst. Yes you have some good shows... but this is the age of crap like American Idol, Survivor, etc etc...

I am torn between 60s, 70s and 80s being best. I'll do some checking and put down my arguments... but right now I'm leaning toward 70s.

I personally guarantee you that every single decade has had some of the worst piece of shit television shows you've ever heard of, but it was so damn long ago you can't remember them.

Personally, I am a fan of Survivor, but American Idol can gtfo off of my TV. Even though I hate it, it's not nearly enough for me to say TV nowadays sucks. There are so many good TV shows on now, or within the past decade.

A funny thing happened in the 2000s. TV started to catch up to Movies. Big name actors now star in TV shows. Sure you have your guys like Leonardo DiCaprio who don't do TV anymore, but some, if not most of all the big name actors in Hollywood are now on TV.

TV Production values are better than they have ever been. Before this last decade, you didn't get that, unfortunately. Feature Films were the go to medium in the land of Hollywood. That's just not the case anymore.

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2012, 02:24 AM
Seinfeld sucks

:#

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2012, 02:26 AM
I can't choose.

Several great shows from every decade

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 02:34 AM
I personally guarantee you that every single decade has had some of the worst piece of shit television shows you've ever heard of, but it was so damn long ago you can't remember them.

Personally, I am a fan of Survivor, but American Idol can gtfo off of my TV. Even though I hate it, it's not nearly enough for me to say TV nowadays sucks. There are so many good TV shows on now, or within the past decade.

A funny thing happened in the 2000s. TV started to catch up to Movies. Big name actors now star in TV shows. Sure you have your guys like Leonardo DiCaprio who don't do TV anymore, but some, if not most of all the big name actors in Hollywood are now on TV.

TV Production values are better than they have ever been. Before this last decade, you didn't get that, unfortunately. Feature Films were the go to medium in the land of Hollywood. That's just not the case anymore.

Dude I looked at a couple lists of highest rated shows from different years and the fact is... the 2000s are chock full of crap TV. As I said, yes you have a few great shows, but POUND FOR POUND the 2000s are pretty bad.

I'll give you the production values argument... but I will NOT concede writing. If you look at my list from the 70s... can you put together a list that is even half as good for the 2000s? I highly doubt it.

ChiefsCountry
01-13-2012, 02:35 AM
I went with the 80's. The big shows in that decade were huge. But what really set it apart was the cartoon's of the era.

SNR
01-13-2012, 02:38 AM
I voted the 90s. That was the golden age of Star Trek with TNG and DS9, and it also my favorite show ever, Frasier.

BigRedChief
01-13-2012, 02:43 AM

Don't forget Star Trek TNG and the Wonder Years

Buck
01-13-2012, 02:44 AM
Dude I looked at a couple lists of highest rated shows from different years and the fact is... the 2000s are chock full of crap TV. As I said, yes you have a few great shows, but POUND FOR POUND the 2000s are pretty bad.

I'll give you the production values argument... but I will NOT concede writing. If you look at my list from the 70s... can you put together a list that is even half as good for the 2000s? I highly doubt it.

I don't give a shit about pound for pound. I care about the best shows. The 2000's has the best shows.

The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Lost, Deadwood, The Sopranos, The Shield, The Office, Parks and Recreation, Community, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Arrested Development, Freaks and Geeks, Battlestar Galactica, Party Down, The League, Louie, Terriers, Sons of Anarchy, Homeland, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, 24, Jericho, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Prison Break, Heroes, Entourage, Extras, Weeds, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dead Like Me, Six Feet Under, Fringe, etc...

Some great mini-series too like Band of Brothers, Generation Kill, The Pacific, etc.

Sure some of those shows didn't stay great throughout their entire run, but not many shows do. Each of these shows had at least one season that was great, IMO.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Buck, the list for the 2000s includes the following shows... (grabbed from top 10 lists of shows by year)

NCIS, American Idol, CSI, Survivor, The Apprentice, Friends(ok this one is good),
My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancť, CSI: Miami, ER, Everybody Loves Raymond, Dancing with the Stars, Desperate Housewives, America's Got Talent, Grey's Anatomy, House MD and Lost (ok two more good ones)

That is a pretty amazingly AWFUL list. Some of those shows are so horrendously bad that the entire decade should be off the list simply due to guilt by association.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 02:53 AM
I don't give a shit about pound for pound. I care about the best shows. The 2000's has the best shows.

The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Lost, Deadwood, The Sopranos, The Shield, The Office, Parks and Recreation, Community, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Arrested Development, Freaks and Geeks, Battlestar Galactica, Party Down, The League, Louie, Terriers, Sons of Anarchy, Homeland, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, 24, Jericho, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Prison Break, Heroes, Entourage, Extras, Weeds, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dead Like Me, Six Feet Under, Fringe, etc...

Some great mini-series too like Band of Brothers, Generation Kill, The Pacific, etc.

Sure some of those shows didn't stay great throughout their entire run, but not many shows do. Each of these shows had at least one season that was great, IMO.

I like quite a few of those shows as well... hell I LOVE some of the shows in your list... but you have included some really FRINGE shows. I am judging based on the overall content and what the decade was KNOWN for. BUT even if we simply compare your list to mine... mine kills yours. There isn't a single show on your list that is in the same league as Mary Tyler Moore, All in the Family, Soap, Barney Miller, Taxi or MASH. The shows I mentioned helped shape our culture far far far more than the admittedly high quality and entertaining shows you mentioned.

Buck
01-13-2012, 02:56 AM
Buck, the list for the 2000s includes the following shows... (grabbed from top 10 lists of shows by year)

NCIS, American Idol, CSI, Survivor, The Apprentice, Friends(ok this one is good),
My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancť, CSI: Miami, ER, Everybody Loves Raymond, Dancing with the Stars, Desperate Housewives, America's Got Talent, Grey's Anatomy, House MD and Lost (ok two more good ones)

That is a pretty amazingly AWFUL list. Some of those shows are so horrendously bad that the entire decade should be off the list simply due to guilt by association.

Whoever compiled that list deserves to be put down in an animal shelter.

I like quite a few of those shows as well... hell I LOVE some of the shows in your list... but you have included some really FRINGE shows. I am judging based on the overall content and what the decade was KNOWN for. BUT even if we simply compare your list to mine... mine kills yours. There isn't a single show on your list that is in the same league as Mary Tyler Moore, All in the Family, Soap, Barney Miller, Taxi or MASH. The shows I mentioned helped shape our culture far far far more than the admittedly high quality and entertaining shows you mentioned.

This is so incredibly wrong I can't explain it.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 03:04 AM
Whoever compiled that list deserves to be put down in an animal shelter.

That list is me grabbing shows from the top 10 highest RATED shows from different years. I didn't look at every year so I am probably missing some but it's a good representation of what was the 2000s. THAT is what America watched in the 2000s.

This is so incredibly wrong I can't explain it.

Um, how so? Shows like Mary Tyler Moore, MASH and All in the Family help to shape the values of America.. they weren't just reflections of the current culture. I am hard pressed to think of a show in recent memory that has been as influential as either of those. Can you? Now you are definitely at a disadvantage because by the 2000s damn near everything had already been done or said... combine that with the Internet replacing TV in many ways and you definitely have a harder row to hoe.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 03:12 AM
I am hard pressed to think of a show in recent memory that has been as influential as either of those. Can you?

I went to the trouble of providing some candidates for you...

The Daily Show
The West Wing
Sex and the City
Oprah Winfrey (hard to count as a 2000s show)
The O'Reilly Factor (same as above...)

These are from a list of most "influential".. I took only the ones that might ACTUALLY influence society and not just popular culture.

Buck
01-13-2012, 03:13 AM
That list is me grabbing shows from the top 10 highest RATED shows from different years. I didn't look at every year so I am probably missing some but it's a good representation of what was the 2000s. THAT is what America watched in the 2000s.

Um, how so? Shows like Mary Tyler Moore, MASH and All in the Family help to shape the values of America.. they weren't just reflections of the current culture. I am hard pressed to think of a show in recent memory that has been as influential as either of those. Can you? Now you are definitely at a disadvantage because by the 2000s damn near everything had already been done or said... combine that with the Internet replacing TV in many ways and you definitely have a harder row to hoe.

Regarding your first post. I don't give a shit about ratings at all. Some of the best shows are the lowest rated. See Community, Terriers, Fringe. You already talked shit about Fringe once, but I'd be interested in knowing if you've seen it.

I can't think of any shows that have shaped America in the 2000s, but all of those shows are about family values. You could say that Family Matters, Step By Step, Full House, Home Improvement shaped my life (even though they didn't) because they were those same kinds of shows.

Another thing is that I'm pretty sure that all of the shows you mentioned were episodic. I'm sure you know what that means, but if you don't...there was no series long (or season long) story line. Not very many callbacks to previous events. The best shows are serial and not episodic. They didn't do that back then, they do now.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 03:26 AM
Regarding your first post. I don't give a shit about ratings at all. Some of the best shows are the lowest rated. See Community, Terriers, Fringe. You already talked shit about Fringe once, but I'd be interested in knowing if you've seen it.

HAHA I wasn't talking about the show Fringe, I was saying some of the shows were fringe shows... not popular. Hence, not representative of the decade. I probably should have noticed that could be confusing.

Another thing is that I'm pretty sure that all of the shows you mentioned were episodic. I'm sure you know what that means, but if you don't...there was no series long (or season long) story line. Not very many callbacks to previous events. The best shows are serial and not episodic. They didn't do that back then, they do now.

Well that's not true at all but yes serial shows are far more prevalent now.

What it comes down to for me is WRITING. Every decade has some shows that had fantastic writing. The 70s just had the BEST of the BEST and far more of them AND they were also popular.

HoneyBadger
01-13-2012, 03:33 AM
Seinfeld sucks
Friends I like
Never watched Cheers

Seinfeld sucks? I used to think the same, when I was 8 and hadn't developed a sense of humor.

Short Leash Hootie
01-13-2012, 03:37 AM
I have zero respect for anyone who says Seinfeld sucks.

Buck
01-13-2012, 03:38 AM
That's great. I like a few of the episodes, but otherwise it puts me to sleep.

Glad to know we are on equal terms.

Oh wait, you probably think I'm trolling because that's all I do.

dmahurin
01-13-2012, 06:00 AM
Lost alone made me vote for the 2000's. Best writing and storytelling I've ever seen in a tv series. There are hints to plot lines in the first few episodes that play out at the end of the series.

scho63
01-13-2012, 07:01 AM

All in the Family, MASH, Barney Miller (best show ever), Six Million Dollar Man, Welcome Back Kotter, Sanford and Son, WKRP, Happy Days, Kung Fu, Fawlty Towers, The Odd Couple, Taxi, Columbo, Soap (also in the running for best show of all time), Bob Newhart Show, Rockford Files, Carol Burnett Show and The Mary Tyler Moore Show. (It'd be an even bigger slam dunk if Magnum PI had just been a year earlier!)

:thumb: :thumb:

I loved that show and I was ahead of my time watching it as a young teenager, just like Monty Python's Flying Circus

blaise
01-13-2012, 07:07 AM
If someone thinks Seinfeld sucks I have to surmise they have a shitty sense of humor.

bevischief
01-13-2012, 07:11 AM
The 2000's sucked. Outside of these shows I don't watch much major channels Jericho,Battlestar Galactica,The Walking Dead,Fringe,Firefly.

Bane
01-13-2012, 07:29 AM
I had to go with the 70's.This shit they put out as reality tv now days is fucking pathetic.

Count Alex's Losses
01-13-2012, 07:31 AM
ST: TNG and ST: DS9 were absolutely amazing during the early and late 90s.

Throw in Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond and The Simpsons and no other era can compete.

Bane
01-13-2012, 07:39 AM
ST: TNG and ST: DS9 were absolutely amazing during the early and late 90s.

Throw in Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond and The Simpsons and no other era can compete.

Meh.I bet I've watched more episodes of Andy Griffith than all of those combined.

Saulbadguy
01-13-2012, 07:43 AM
2000's brought us "The Pitts".

Enough said.

suds79
01-13-2012, 07:51 AM
The 2000s/now brought us the onslaught of reality TV.

This alone should be enough to disqualify it.

notorious
01-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Reality TV cancels out any good that the 2000's era brought.

Err, I guess I'm not the only one that thinks this.

Bane
01-13-2012, 07:54 AM

Reality TV cancels out any good that the 2000's era brought.

Err, I guess I'm not the only one that thinks this.

:thumb:

Bwana
01-13-2012, 08:10 AM

Agree

Gonzo
01-13-2012, 08:28 AM
I feel as though today's television gets a bad rap due to the shittiness that is reality tv.
Take those shows out of the mix and current tv kicks the shit out of any other generation.
It would be like judging 70's and 80's television via Soul Train or stupid shit like Candid Camera.
You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and then you have the facts of life.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bane
01-13-2012, 08:33 AM
I feel as though today's television gets a bad rap due to the shittiness that is reality tv.
Take those shows out of the mix and current tv kicks the shit out of any other generation.
It would be like judging 70's and 80's television via Soul Train or stupid shit like Candid Camera.
You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and then you have the facts of life.
Posted via Mobile Device

My problem is that's it's no more real than the shit they portray as fake bullshit.I mean don't try to sell me something as reality or actuality (**** you tru tv) and have the acting in it 3 times worse than the fakest shit you've ever seen before.

Like southern fried stings,hardcore pawn,or op repo :banghead::banghead::banghead: I mean seriously?I have buddies that think thats the "realest shit out there man" (direct quote) LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

Chiefnj2
01-13-2012, 08:34 AM
The problem is once you hit the late 90's and 00's, you have more cable tv shows in the mix. If you look at free tv it is easily the 70s.

notorious
01-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

This.

I think that the 2000's have the best TV ever.

It also has the worst ever.

BTW, I think that most people's likes and dislikes have a lot to do with their age and the order in which the shows are viewed.

durtyrute
01-13-2012, 08:44 AM

THIS :thumb:

Chiefshrink
01-13-2012, 08:51 AM
It doesn't get any better than Ernest T. Bass !!

Inspector
01-13-2012, 09:25 AM
BTW, I think that most people's likes and dislikes have a lot to do with their age and the order in which the shows are viewed.

Yeah, I think your generation would play a big part in what appeals to someone. Nostalgia plays a part in that, seems to me. The shows you watched when you were young reminds you of those days when you see them again.

"You bet your life" still cracks me up anytime I get to see it. Same with "The Honeymooners". If I had a cable station that aired shows from the 50's or early 60's, I probably wouldn't watch anything else (with the exception of football of course).

It's a subjective thing. What one person likes, another may not. Doesn't really make one better than the other, just folks have different taste. It's like looking at art at the gallery. You like this picture, someone esle doesn't really get it.

Seems that way to me anyway. But I'm rarely correct so have to take that into account too.

Inspector
01-13-2012, 09:26 AM
It doesn't get any better than Ernest T. Bass !!

Yeah, but he really got on my nerves when he tried to screw up Charlene Darlings marriage.

And whats up with throwing rocks through the windows??? Geez!!

htismaqe
01-13-2012, 09:27 AM
With shows like American Idol and Survivor, it has to be now.

OK, I can't say it with a straight face. Nevermind.

seclark
01-13-2012, 09:28 AM
going w/the 60's and before.
rowan and martins laugh in
red skelton
dean martin
carol burnett

my favorite was the twilight zone...reruns were very important to make any sense out of some of those fucking stories.
sec

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Friends

You know how I know you're gay?

:D

ReynardMuldrake
01-13-2012, 09:49 AM
When was/is the Golden Age of Television?

60's (or earlier)
70's
80's
90's
2000's (we are living in it now)
Gaz is entirely too fucking classy to own a TV
We are not living in the 2000's. That would be 2000-2009. We are living in the 10's.

SNR
01-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Are there really people who think Cheers is better than Frasier?

Weird.

scorpio
01-13-2012, 09:50 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8wPvllaHMYECEQG3FF9z9N2ZDoomAHiq6XWzxwDKF2wy7x30xKNCIMEVA

ReynardMuldrake
01-13-2012, 09:52 AM
I voted 60's because that was the decade of Andy Griffith.

And Seinfeld is not funny. The kind of people that like Seinfeld are the kind of people that laugh at their own jokes.

RedNeckRaider
01-13-2012, 09:53 AM
red skelton
dean martin
carol burnett

my favorite was the twilight zone...reruns were very important to make any sense out of some of those ****ing stories.
sec

Here's Johnny~

Gonzo
01-13-2012, 09:56 AM
I voted 60's because that was the decade of Andy Griffith.

And Seinfeld is not funny. The kind of people that like Seinfeld are the kind of people that laugh at their own jokes.
Millions of people disagree.
Posted via Mobile Device

blaise
01-13-2012, 10:00 AM
red skelton
dean martin
carol burnett

my favorite was the twilight zone...reruns were very important to make any sense out of some of those ****ing stories.
sec

I love the Twilight Zone.

RippedmyFlesh
01-13-2012, 10:10 AM
red skelton
dean martin
carol burnett

my favorite was the twilight zone...reruns were very important to make any sense out of some of those fucking stories.
sec

My vote also.
Goldie Hawn dancing in a bikini was the closest thing on tv to pron that a kid in the 60's could get.Although I dream of jennie was my fav.

DJ's left nut
01-13-2012, 10:13 AM
It's kindof an unfair question.

Think about how much television as a medium has exploded. Television budgets nowdays absolutely dwarf what they used to get. A show like Mad Men, for instance (sorry Austin, but this show absolutely destroys Mary Tyler Moore), simply don't get made in the 70s because they cost way too much.

It's kinda like comparing Ken Griffey Jr. to Babe Ruth. I'm sorry, but Griffey would've abused Ruth in the 1920s and 30s. A fat shit like the Babe that got to face a pitcher throwing his 170th pitch of the game in his 415th inning of the year would get crushed by Craig Kimbrel coming out of the 'pen in the 7th. Comparing eras just isn't fair in sports, nor is it truly fair in television.

If you're comfortable comparing eras, I think you have to go with the 2000s. Sure, there's a lot of schlock in there, but who cares? The heavy hitters from the era are without peer. You have the rise of the television drama (the aforementioned Mad Men, The Wire, Lost, West Wing, etc...) not to mention the premium cable stuff like The Sopranos, The Tudors, John Adams, GOT and the like. There's even been a ton of good sitcoms out there. Scrubs was fantastic early in the decade, one of the best written comedies ever and I have a couple of doctor friends that say it's easily the most 'accurate' medical show out there. How I Met Your Mother is extremely funny, not to mention legitimately thought provoking at times - it's easily Friends equal. South Park really had its fastball in the 2000s; Parker and Stone simply never mis-fired back then. The Office is iconic. And if you're going to include 'niche' comedies like The Jeffersons, don't you have to acknowledge stuff like 2 1/2 Men? You have a massive upswing in sports programming, history and documentaries are without equal now. Things like Top Gear have become badass hybrids of comedy and non-fiction, scripted and unscripted.

Nostalgia's great and all, but I think you have to give it to the 2000s if for no other reason than they money that television now gets and the refinement of the medium over the last few decades.

Chiefnj2
01-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Try to watch a sit com from the late 90s or 00's without a laugh track.

notorious
01-13-2012, 10:27 AM
I will admit, present day has to be the golden age since we have 11tybillion options and TIVO.

La literatura
01-13-2012, 10:29 AM
The 2000s, especially thanks to HBO, launched television to a prestigious status of highbrow, sophisticated entertainment. The reality show emerged, for good or bad, and it shifted American pop culture to embrace a new medium of game shows and drama that is unlikely to go away anytime soon.

Whether that makes it the Golden Age, I don't know. Actually, Golden Age seems to imply classic and timeless, whereas the 2000s were to TV what the late 60s, with Bonnie & Clyde and The French Connection and The Wild Bunch, were to the movie industry: it really changed the rules of the game.

MoreLemonPledge
01-13-2012, 10:39 AM

This.

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-13-2012, 10:46 AM

Weird.

By roughly eleventy billion times yes

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-13-2012, 10:48 AM
The kind of people that like Seinfeld are the kind of people that laugh at their own jokes.

That's because I'm fucking funny.

notorious
01-13-2012, 10:50 AM
By roughly eleventy billion times yes

This.

And it's not even close.

Pants
01-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Depends how you define "Golden Age". HBO and Showtime have made the 2000's the best ever as far as quality of television goes.

SNR
01-13-2012, 10:59 AM
By roughly eleventy billion times yesYou probably don't understand all the jokes.

Mr. Kotter
01-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Depends how you define "Golden Age". HBO and Showtime have made the 2000's the best ever as far as quality of television goes.

I'd define it by the % of people who watched. By that definition, it was probably the 50s or 60s. While there's good stuff on TV today, there's a whole lot more just plain garbage. And, frankly, not too many folks watching it as much as they use to do. Of course, there are a lot of other options and distractions to substitute too though.

Lin Elliot
01-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Seinfeld sucks

Idiot

HemiEd
60s, without a doubt. A few of my favorites:
Ozzie and Harriet,
Leave it to Beaver,
My Three Sons,
Have Gun Will Travel,
McHale's Navy
Gilligans Island
Addams Family
The Outer Limits
Room 222
Laugh-In
The Mod Squad
The Jetsons
Hawaii Five-0
Get Smart
Bewitched
The Fugitive

vailpass
Starting with the '50s you can pick any decade you want and there are some great tv shows there. 2000s definitely drops off though EXCEPT that the 90s/2000s have multiple HBO series that are among the best tv viewing ever. IMHO.

HemiEd
01-13-2012, 11:09 AM
I forgot about 77 Sunset Strip, in the 50s. I loved the show to watch "Cookie's" hot rod, but was too young to know what was going on in the show.

BigCatDaddy
01-13-2012, 11:12 AM

And this is why America is full of fat asses.

vailpass
01-13-2012, 11:14 AM
I forgot about 77 Sunset Strip, in the 50s. I loved the show to watch "Cookie's" hot rod, but was too young to know what was going on in the show.

some good shows that year, 59-60....

1.Gunsmoke
2. Wagon Train
3. Have Gun Will Travel
4. The Danny Thomas Show
5. The Red Skelton Show
6. Father Knows Best
7. 77 Sunset Strip
8. The Price Is Right
9. Wanted: Dead Or Alive
10. Perry Mason
11. The Real McCoys
12. The Ed Sullivan Show 13. The Bing Cosby Show
14. The Rifleman
15. The Ford Show
16. The Lawman
17. Dennis The Menace
18. Cheyenne
19. Rawhide
20. Maverick
21. The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp
22. Mr. Lucky
23. Zane Grey Theatre
24. General Electric Theatre
25. The Ann Sothern Show

Chiefnj2
01-13-2012, 11:19 AM

Amazing tv, especially when you consider it was all found on 3 stations.

chuxtrux
01-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Easily the 2000s, the quality of shows from that decade blows everything else out of the water.

luv
01-13-2012, 11:29 AM
I think it depends on when you grew up. Most of the shows that I remember loving to watch as a kid are what I consider "golden". I was born in 76, so most of the shows I enjoyed watching while I was growing up was in the 80's.

The era of Saturday morning cartoons!
Looney Tunes - Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show
Strawberry Shortcake
She-Ra
Smurfs
Alvin & the Chipmunks

Other shows:
Cosby Show
Facts of Life
Charles in Charge
Three's Company
Night Court
Miami Vice
Family Ties
Rags to Riches
Punky Brewster

vailpass
01-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Easily the 2000s, the quality of shows from that decade blows everything else out of the water.

It is concise, well-supported analysis such as this that is going to turn this economy around.

blaise
01-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Frasier and Cheers are both great shows, to me. I personally like the writing on Frasier more than almost any other sitcom. It just seems to witty and tight. The back and forth between the characters is very clever and delivered perfectly almost every time.

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 11:44 AM

Weird.

You're kidding, right?

I really like Frasier and it's a great show, but Cheers wrote the book on TV comedy. And I say that despite the fact that all of the female characters were lame.

vailpass
01-13-2012, 11:49 AM
You're kidding, right?

I really like Frasier and it's a great show, but Cheers wrote the book on TV comedy. And I say that despite the fact that all of the female characters were lame.

X2
Frazier is a Cheers spin-off.

keg in kc
01-13-2012, 11:53 AM
There's more unwatchable shit on today than at any point in history, but at the same time, nearly all of my favorite shows of all time have come out since 1999, with a few notable exceptions. So I'd have to say this is a "best of times/worst of times" situation, and my vote goes to the 21st century.

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm going to have to think about the question in the poll some more. It's a very difficult question to answer, because I can make an argument for pretty much any decade.

I think I would vote against the current decade even though there are some great shows on, now. I think the current decade is too full of animated shows. While some of them (okay, the Simpsons) are quite good, animated shows lack the depth and texture of shows with real actors. So the 2000s isn't a golden age.

The 90s? It was a great age for dramas with shows like the West Wing and ER, and of course Seinfeld stands out as one of the great all-time comedies, but I'm not sure how much depth there is.

The 80s is the decade of Cheers. You also had all of the nighttime soaps and stuff, and I suspect there were other great comedies (Newhart springs to mind.)

The 70s is the rise of the ensemble sitcom - Cheers, Taxi, Mary Tyler Moore, etc. - though you still had some successful shows in the old genre of one central star - All in the Family, for example. I like this era.

The 60s is full of classic shows and broad experimentation. Shows like Get Smart, Hogan's Heroes, Green Acres, the Beverly Hillbillies all stretched the concept of television fiction, and if you formally define Golden Age as a blossoming, I think the 60s wins it. You could do a lot of stuff in the 60s and it was all new.

The 50s and earlier seems to me more like taking stage comedy and filming it, so I'm less into that.

I should vote for the 60s via the formal definition of Golden Age, but I think I'll cast my vote for the 70s. That's when smart comedy really came of age, and that's what I care about.

I suspect that most people will vote for the era when they were teenagers, though. I think we tend to vote from our own experience more often than not, and that's affected by our own life stage.

BigCatDaddy
01-13-2012, 11:55 AM
You're kidding, right?

Carla wasn't too bad, but I wasn't a big fan of Diane or Rebecca.

blaise
01-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Diane was a good character. Rebecca not so much.

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
I'd rate Diane #1 and then I'm not sure about Carla or Rebecca as #2. Carla was too mean to be likeable and Rebecca was too whiny. I might give Rebecca #2 by a nose.

Woody may be my favorite television character ever.

RedNeckRaider
01-13-2012, 12:12 PM
I'd rate Diane #1 and then I'm not sure about Carla or Rebecca as #2. Carla was too mean to be likeable and Rebecca was too whiny. I might give Rebecca #2 by a nose.

Woody may be my favorite television character ever.

Woody was great but coach was pretty funny also~

notorious
01-13-2012, 12:13 PM
"Norm!"

"Can I get you a beer, Mr. Peterson?"

"It's a bit early, isn't it Woody?"

"What? For a beer?"

"No, for stupid questions."

saphojunkie
01-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Seinfeld sucks
Friends I like
Never watched Cheers

Why would you ever engage in a discussion that you know jack shit about?

LiveSteam
01-13-2012, 12:17 PM
When I think of the Golden age of TV I think of. All in the family,Sanford & Son, The first years of SNL. But like Phobia said, it really depends on when you grew up.

RedNeckRaider
01-13-2012, 12:18 PM
"Norm!"

"Can I get you a beer, Mr. Peterson?"

"It's a bit early, isn't it Woody?"

"What? For a beer?"

"No, for stupid questions."

Hey Norm how is it going?

Itís a dog eat dog world and Iím wearing milk bone underwear~

HemiEd
01-13-2012, 12:21 PM
some good shows that year, 59-60....

1.Gunsmoke
2. Wagon Train
3. Have Gun Will Travel
4. The Danny Thomas Show
5. The Red Skelton Show
6. Father Knows Best
7. 77 Sunset Strip
8. The Price Is Right
9. Wanted: Dead Or Alive
10. Perry Mason
11. The Real McCoys
12. The Ed Sullivan Show
13. The Bing Cosby Show
14. The Rifleman
15. The Ford Show
16. The Lawman
17. Dennis The Menace
18. Cheyenne
19. Rawhide
20. Maverick
21. The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp
22. Mr. Lucky
23. Zane Grey Theatre
24. General Electric Theatre
25. The Ann Sothern ShowLoved all of those, on a Western Auto B/W console, probably 19 inches. :D

notorious
01-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Bucks just a young pup that has watched TV in a different order that some of you old bastards.

Seinfeld was my favorite, hands down, when it was airing. If it's on now I can always find something to watch that is more interesting to me.

Different age, different era.

blaise
01-13-2012, 12:24 PM

"Great, I'm unemployed."

Oh that's too bad Norm.

"No, I mean, 'Great! I'm unemployed!' Give me a beer."

notorious
01-13-2012, 12:24 PM

"Norm!"

"What are you up to Norm?"

"My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall."

LMAO

RedNeckRaider
01-13-2012, 12:26 PM
"Norm!"

"What are you up to Norm?"

"My ideal weight if I were 11 feet tall."

LMAO

Yeah that one set me off when he said it LMAO

blaise
01-13-2012, 12:26 PM
And a note on Seinfeld. What I always loved about Seinfeld was that it was the first sitcom I remember that never had a "special" episode. There was no moment where one character and another shared an emotional moment. No episode that required an ending where it just went to the credits without the theme song. Nothing touching.
It was only for comedy, nothing else. No lessons, nothing.

HemiEd
01-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Bucks just a young pup that has watched TV in a different order that some of you old bastards.

Seinfeld was my favorite, hands down, when it was airing. If it's on now I can always find something to watch that is more interesting to me.

Different age, different era.

Yeah, not sure how anyone could not love Seinfeld. My favorite now is "Big Bang theory" and it as good as any ever produced IMO.

thurman merman
01-13-2012, 12:39 PM
To the people saying the 2000s are disqualified because of reality TV and whatnot, here's something to think about: in most of the previous decades, there were only a handful of channels to choose from, therefore limiting the utter crap. It's only natural that with hundreds and hundreds of channels to choose from now, there are going to be some garbage shows.

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Yeah, not sure how anyone could not love Seinfeld. My favorite now is "Big Bang theory" and it as good as any ever produced IMO.

I just discovered Big Bang Theory. What a fantastic show.

boogblaster
01-13-2012, 12:52 PM
60s was the start of family watched tv .. so i voted fo that era ....

Rausch
01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
I voted 80'S but I'm torn.

Shows like All In The Family, Welcome Back Kotter, Dobie Gillis, I Dream Of Genie, Cheers (probably my all time favorite,) Hill Street Blues, Sanford And Son, and then you take a huge jump forward and you have shows like the X-Files and LOST that I think are leaps and bounds better than most TV in decades.

I had to pick something...

Red Brooklyn
01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
The 2000s is a tale of two decades in television.

On the one hand you have the putrid birth of "Reality Programming" which has just spread like a virus, infecting everyone it touches.

However, on the other hand you have the necessary reaction to Reality Programming. You have the backlash. The previous decade was the first time I saw television elevate itself to art. Of course, the artistic excellence isn't necessarily the highest rated aspect of television.

But shows like Lost, Friday Night Lights, Mad Men and Breaking Bad would never have happened in any previous decade - at least, not with any level of popular success, nor would they have been critically acclaimed. Yet, these are some of the best shows in the entire history of television.

Add in the HBO and other paid cable shows like Sex And The City, The Sopranos, Game Of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, The Wire, Deadwood and so forth. Yeah, the 2000s makes its case.

But we wouldn't have had any of those shows (probably) without the need to combat the bullshit Reality Programming. But the game really started to change in the 90s, I think.

The 70s were pure quality entertainment. But not a lot of artistic achievement (pound for pound). Great programs, lots of laughs, not a lot of forward moment. Just excellent genre work executed at a consistently high level.

HemiEd
01-13-2012, 01:09 PM

Glad you found it, I avoided it for a couple years myself.

I wonder if there is a way to catch up with the previous years episodes?

It would be well worth the time and $$ if they are available IMO. I can't think of many sitcoms that I would pay to own, but this is one.

Count Alex's Losses
01-13-2012, 01:11 PM
BTW, the 90s also had the best cartoons. And I don't want to hear shit about GI Joe or Transformers.

whoman69
01-13-2012, 01:12 PM

Most of the shows you mention aren't even available for most of the public. Not too many can afford both Showtime and HBO. Those shows have a shorter run and are only on for a small portion of the year.

The shows on standard TV have never been worse with too many reality shows. I have very few shows that I want to DVR each week. Most shows are written for the all important 12 year old demographic.

vailpass
01-13-2012, 01:54 PM

DVR worthy indeed.First saw it on a plane ride home from Denver a couple years ago. Bazinga!

vailpass
01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Glad you found it, I avoided it for a couple years myself.

I wonder if there is a way to catch up with the previous years episodes?

It would be well worth the time and $$ if they are available IMO. I can't think of many sitcoms that I would pay to own, but this is one.

They run old episodes all the time, at least on DirectTV. Penny looks a little different in the early episodes and not in a bad way.

BigCatDaddy
01-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Was "Thunder In Paradise" the 90's? If so, I vote for that.

Thig Lyfe
01-13-2012, 03:03 PM
2000s, and anybody who disagrees should have a huge air bubble injected into his bloodstream.

WhiteWhale
01-13-2012, 03:06 PM
TV sucks.

Go outside. :D

WhiteWhale
01-13-2012, 03:06 PM
2000s, and anybody who disagrees should have a huge air bubble injected into his bloodstream.

Reality TV is complete garbage, and that's what I'll know the 2000's for.

Thig Lyfe
01-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Reality TV is complete garbage, and that's what I'll know the 2000's for.

That's because you're a fucking idiot who should have his dick punched off.

WhiteWhale
01-13-2012, 03:12 PM
That's because you're a ****ing idiot who should have his dick punched off.

No, I'm a person who lives my actual life rather than pathetically living vicariously though jackasses on reality TV.

Reality TV is for middle age women and impotent men. No wonder you want my dick punched off.

Rausch
01-13-2012, 03:14 PM
That's because you're a ****ing idiot who should have his dick punched off.

You're talking about the reality stars, right?...

Rausch
01-13-2012, 03:15 PM
TV sucks.

Go outside. :D

This.

I live my life and in between I Netflix...

notorious
01-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Next Poll:

When was the Golden Age for Porn?

Gotta be the 2000's.........

Thig Lyfe
01-13-2012, 03:23 PM
No, I'm a person who lives my actual life rather than pathetically living vicariously though jackasses on reality TV.

Reality TV is for middle age women and impotent men. No wonder you want my dick punched off.

You're not an idiot for hating reality TV (most of it is definitely a pile of shit). You're an idiot for thinking that's all TV is right now.

blaise
01-13-2012, 03:25 PM
You're not an idiot for hating reality TV (most of it is definitely a pile of shit). You're an idiot for thinking that's all TV is right now.

Are you doing a bit here, or just spazzing out?

Reaper16
01-13-2012, 03:32 PM
The 2000s are easily the best decade for TV. Easily. Perhaps as many as five of the five best dramas of all time came from the 2000s. The quality level has never been higher.

But that's because of cable. The 2000s are not the best decade for network television. I'd probably have to give it to a tossup between the 90's and the 70's for best network decade.

Still, taking both cable and network into account, the 2000s are without equal.

Thig Lyfe
01-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Are you doing a bit here, or just spazzing out?

So many dicks bout to get punched off

notorious
01-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Punching dicks.

Do you literally punch the dick in half, or do you punch the dick and hit it so hard that it dies and falls off?

Thig Lyfe
01-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Punching dicks.

Do you literally punch the dick in half, or do you punch the dick and hit it so hard that it dies and falls off?

Wanna find out bro???

notorious
01-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Wanna find out bro???

Nah, I am pretty happy having my dick attached to my body.

Thig Lyfe
01-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Nah, I am pretty happy having my dick attached to my body.

Don't say something wrong about TV and you'll be fine.

vailpass
01-13-2012, 03:50 PM

LMAO

Rausch
01-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Wanna find out bro???

Bring it bro.

My whore mom has a shotgun on the porch...

Baby Lee
01-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Diane was a good character. Rebecca not so much.

It was amazing that the switched characters and directions so effectively.

Didn't particularly want to like Rebecca, but Kirstie BROUGHT it to that role.

notorious
01-13-2012, 04:03 PM

Whew. That was close call. :D

Buck
01-13-2012, 04:42 PM

I really don't like Seinfeld and Big Bang Theory is easily the worst show I've ever seen.

Most of the shows you mention aren't even available for most of the public. Not too many can afford both Showtime and HBO. Those shows have a shorter run and are only on for a small portion of the year.

The shows on standard TV have never been worse with too many reality shows. I have very few shows that I want to DVR each week. Most shows are written for the all important 12 year old demographic.

So what you're saying is that Cable Television isn't available to over 50% of the U.S. Population? I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

SNR
01-13-2012, 05:55 PM
You're kidding, right?

I really like Frasier and it's a great show, but Cheers wrote the book on TV comedy. And I say that despite the fact that all of the female characters were lame.Read blaise's post.

Frasier was tight, brilliant, and profoundly funny. Witty, charming, heartfelt. Yeah, Cheers was those things, too, but Frasier was a masterpiece. It broke rules. It dared to make high-brow jokes understood by fewer than half of TV viewership. And it paid off bigtime.

Niles: All the tables are full. We could join Roz.
Frasier: No! I find her cousin Jen to be a bit too judgmental for my taste. Yesterday she told me that my show was bourgeois. I pointed out that anything that had mass appeal could be called bourgeois, so she said my argument was bourgeois. Which I found to be jejune.

Oh, and from later in that very episode, there's this exchange:

Frasier: Say, Jen, did you have a chance to explore that art gallery I suggested?
Jen: Yeah. I know you're into that stuff, so I don't want to put it down. But it was like everything in there was trying to make us feel better about our corrupt, imperialistic, phallocratic heritage.
Frasier: .... They're... landscapes....

And that's just one episode! There can be dozens of these tiny, brilliant little joke packages per show. You don't see these jokes on ANY other show. That's why it's the most original and creatively written sitcom in the 90s and perhaps in TV history.

Backwards Masking
01-13-2012, 06:00 PM

No love for Al Bundy?

SNR
01-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Another cool thing: Kelsey Grammer owns the rights to Frasier, and is a huge proponent of letting the show be freely distributed on the internet through sites like youtube.

Look at this episode. The entire premise is one problem: scheduling a dinner party. The cool thing? The scene never changes. It never moves. The ENTIRE episode is Frasier and Niles planning a dinner party in the living room. Any other aside comes to them via Martin, Daphne, and Roz. This is a 100% character-driven episode. And it's funny, smart, and hell, it's downright beautiful how simple yet wonderfully creative it is.

You can't do that with other sitcoms. At least, I've never seen it done before.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eF8yxDEcDIg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Backwards Masking
01-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Another cool thing: Kelsey Grammer owns the rights to Frasier, and is a huge proponent of letting the show be freely distributed on the internet through sites like youtube.

That is really cool of him. Would rather keep his Legacy alive than line his pockets with petty cash he Doesn't Need.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 06:38 PM

Look at this episode. The entire premise is one problem: scheduling a dinner party. The cool thing? The scene never changes. It never moves. The ENTIRE episode is Frasier and Niles planning a dinner party in the living room. Any other aside comes to them via Martin, Daphne, and Roz. This is a 100% character-driven episode. And it's funny, smart, and hell, it's downright beautiful how simple yet wonderfully creative it is.

Not to take anything away from Frazier, but it's pretty obvious that you haven't watched much TV from the past. Frasier was clever and a quality TV show but didn't break any new ground whatsoever. Look at Barney Miller, a very intelligent show in its own right... and they didn't need to be pretentious or pedantic to do so. If you haven't watched it, check it out. Fantastic writing. Another very intelligent sitcom was Yes, Minister.. but I'm not sure if it counts being British and all.

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 06:40 PM
I really don't like Seinfeld and Big Bang Theory is easily the worst show I've ever seen.

You obviously did not major in engineering in college.

Bump
01-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Seinfeld sucks
Friends I like
Never watched Cheers

you say Seinfeld sucks and friends you like LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

nttawwt

that last bit is a great Seinfeld reference, but you probably didn't get that

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Read blaise's post.

Don't get me wrong. I love Frasier and think it's one of the best shows ever. But Cheers soared on a different level for me. Maybe it was my own life stage or something, but that show had some of the funniest lines I've ever heard on TV, and they were always in context. (One of my pet peeves is sitcoms that always use the old setup-punch line cadence over and over.)

I agree with Austinchief that Barney Miller was another show that really did that type of in-context humor perfectly. It was the first show in my life where the humor came in the form of conversation and not punch lines, and I really appreciated that.

Backwards Masking
01-13-2012, 06:45 PM
you say Seinfeld sucks and friends you like LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

nttawwt

LMAO

I'm calling bullshit Bump - it's wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start.

I guess I'll just summarize by saying Buck's opinion on any topic ever again is completely Null and Void.

Brock
01-13-2012, 06:46 PM
TV has never been better. Yeah, reality TV is awful, but the quality and quantity of scripted shows has never been higher, especially when you consider that cable channels are no longer just movies and repeats of old TV shows.

Bump
01-13-2012, 06:47 PM
It's really hard to pick. 80's had some awesome stuff when I was a kid, without internet all you had was TV and old fashioned fun. 90's brags the greatest sitcom ever made (Seinfeld). 2000's had some really awesome shows. But I wasn't really around in the 70's, I don't have much judgement on that. As a kid, I did love old reruns of Lassie, Flipper, The Munsters, Andy Griffith and shit like that

Bump
01-13-2012, 06:49 PM
LMAO

I'm calling bullshit Bump - it's wrong on so many levels I don't know where to start.

I guess I'll just summarize by saying Buck's opinion on any topic ever again is completely Null and Void.

ya, must have been an attempt at trolling or something. No man would ever say that.

Buck
01-13-2012, 06:51 PM
You obviously did not major in engineering in college.

Nope. It's not the content I don't like, it's the structure.

The laugh track is horrible. The jokes aren't very funny. I am a geek at heart, and would love a comedy about science that was actually funny.

Reaper16
01-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Nope. It's not the content I don't like, it's the structure.

The laugh track is horrible. The jokes aren't very funny. I am a geek at heart, and would love a comedy about science that was actually funny.
Yup. The writing is really, really bad. I've seen maybe 10 episodes in their entirety and I never once laughed.

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 06:54 PM
You guys are nuts. The writing is great on Big Bang. They've built good characters and build on them.

My only complaint is that the mother of the guy with the Ichabod Crane haircut is a little too annoying.

Brock
01-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Maybe I'll check it out. I never watch CBS.

Bump
01-13-2012, 06:55 PM
You guys are nuts. The writing is great on Big Bang. They've built good characters and build on them.

My only complaint is that the mother of the guy with the Ichabod Crane haircut is a little too annoying.

you can't really take his opinion on anything related to TV seriously after saying he hates Seinfeld and likes Friends.

stevieray
01-13-2012, 06:56 PM
totally subjective, just like music.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 06:57 PM
TV has never been better. Yeah, reality TV is awful, but the quality and quantity of scripted shows has never been higher, especially when you consider that cable channels are no longer just movies and repeats of old TV shows.

I disagree. Due to the VOLUME of shows.. you may have as many shows that are well written but you certainly don't have the %. And I'm not even sure you have the volume to tell the truth. My list of 70s shows has some of the most intelligent, well written shows of all time... all of which were broadcast on 3 channels. With the zillions of channels now doing 1st run TV shows... you would still be LUCKY to put together a list that rivals it. Buck tried and failed.

Let's make it simple and pick ONE year from each decade. 1975 vs 2005. I'll make a list and see if you can beat it.

Buck
01-13-2012, 06:58 PM

Hey have you ever watched Parks and Recreation?

If not you should give it a go.

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Maybe I'll check it out. I never watch CBS.

Definitely. I just discovered it a month or two ago, and have been watching back episodes any time I have time to kill. It's a hoot.

Buck
01-13-2012, 07:00 PM
I disagree. Due to the VOLUME of shows.. you may have as many shows that are well written but you certainly don't have the %. And I'm not even sure you have the volume to tell the truth. My list of 70s shows has some of the most intelligent, well written shows of all time... all of which were broadcast on 3 channels. With the zillions of channels now doing 1st run TV shows... you would still be LUCKY to put together a list that rivals it. Buck tried and failed.

Let's make it simple and pick ONE year from each decade. 1975 vs 2005. I'll make a list and see if you can beat it.

No I didn't.

I'd actually like to see a list from Reaper and Baby Lee. They seem to be the TV experts here. Every show they've recommended, I thoroughly enjoyed. I'll never watch Gilmore Girls though (sorry Baby).

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 07:00 PM

Yeah, I've seen it a few times and really like it. At some point I'll watch more episodes. Amy Poehler has a great knack for comedy.

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 07:02 PM

That sounds like a great contest. I'll watch with interest.

I agree with the premise that the proportion of quality shows has declined a lot as more shows have come available. That doesn't really bother me, because other than a higher likelihood of missing some gems I'm going to filter out most shows anyway. The real key is whether the raw number of good shows is higher or lower now.

Reaper16
01-13-2012, 07:06 PM

2005? It had, off the top of my head:

Elite shows:
The Wire
The Sopranos
Deadwood
Arrested Development

Very good shows:
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Thick of It
Bleak House
Extras
Six Feet Under
Lost
House
Boston Legal
The Office (US)
Edit: How I Met Your Mother

stevieray
01-13-2012, 07:06 PM
I will say this though..when it comes to cutting edge characters, it's hard to compete with Carrol O'Conner's Archie Bunker.

Guru
01-13-2012, 07:11 PM
No I didn't.

I'd actually like to see a list from Reaper and Baby Lee. They seem to be the TV experts here. Every show they've recommended, I thoroughly enjoyed. I'll never watch Gilmore Girls though (sorry Baby).

This cracks me up. Its all opinion and what appeals to each of us. Sitting here and arguing about who is right is just plain asinine.

I don't like most of the shows you listed. Doesn't make you wrong or me wrong. Just means we like different things.

Buck
01-13-2012, 07:12 PM
This cracks me up. Its all opinion and what appeals to each of us. Sitting here and arguing about who is right is just plain asinine.

I don't like most of the shows you listed. Doesn't make you wrong or me wrong. Just means we like different things.

I know. But I like the right things. :evil:

Bump
01-13-2012, 07:13 PM

it's good, but unoriginal.

Buck
01-13-2012, 07:15 PM
it's good, but unoriginal.

Just out of curiosity, what about it is unoriginal?

Guru
01-13-2012, 07:16 PM
I know. But I like the right things. :evil:so do I. :p

Just out of curiosity, what about it is unoriginal?

It is a knockoff of The Office.

Buck
01-13-2012, 07:18 PM
so do I. :p

It is a knockoff of The Office.

I disagree. Just because it has an office setting doesn't mean it's a knockoff of The Office.

Reaper16
01-13-2012, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't characterize Parks & Rec as particularly original. It's an officeplace comedy that rehashes the supposed-documentary setup from The Office and uses bit characters much like The Office does and is a character-driven show like The Office is.

Parks and Recreation is also better than The Office.

Brock
01-13-2012, 07:20 PM

Elite shows:
The Wire
The Sopranos
Deadwood
Arrested Development

Very good shows:
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Thick of It
Bleak House
Extras
Six Feet Under
Lost
House
Boston Legal
The Office (BBC)

LOL. This list is like you comparing a 5 year old Ford Truck to Austin Chiefs broken down Model T.

SNR
01-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Don't get me wrong. I love Frasier and think it's one of the best shows ever. But Cheers soared on a different level for me. Maybe it was my own life stage or something, but that show had some of the funniest lines I've ever heard on TV, and they were always in context. (One of my pet peeves is sitcoms that always use the old setup-punch line cadence over and over.)

I agree with Austinchief that Barney Miller was another show that really did that type of in-context humor perfectly. It was the first show in my life where the humor came in the form of conversation and not punch lines, and I really appreciated that.
Frasier's got all that, too. I don't think you can make the argument that Cheers is better just because they did it first. Terry Bradshaw was the first QB to win three Super Bowls. Is he the greatest QB of all time?

I'll bring up one more example and then I swear I'll quit badgering you. The Season 10 episode "The Devil and Dr. Phil" come from late Frasier, when many people agreed that the writing really went downhill. The show had gotten a little too dramatic since Niles and Daphne got married, and there was far more marriage tension comedy than uppity wit.

Anyway, in this episode, just 22 minutes of real time, you have a complete allegory to the story of Faust told through entirely familiar characters! There are tons of subtle hints throughout until the bizarre climax at the end with the seduction of Frasier in Bebe's apartment. It's absolutely stunning how the writers fit those two elements side by side.

I've always believed you have to be bold if you want to be brilliant. Nobody ever pushed the boundaries of art, science, or any discipline by staying safe and within the bounds of their respective field at the time. Frasier (while continuing the tradition of conversational comedy and writing that Cheers started) pushed the bounds of topical devices in your average sitcom.

And look at what we have today! Community. Archer. All shows that use this method and device thanks to Frasier.

Think of it as this: Cheers was Haydn. It invented the string quartet, crafted a musical language within the bounds of sonata form, and became a widely heralded show in its time, and respected long after its death. Frasier was Beethoven. The initial influence from Cheers is evident in its early writing, but after a season or two when it got a chance to be recognized as its own show and not just a cheap spinoff, it did something TV writers simply were not even thinking about prior to its inception.

SNR
01-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Do you all know the #2 British sitcom of all time as voted on by regular BBC viewers?

Blackadder. A comedy entirely about British history. Something that no exec at BBC thought would fly.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Here is my 1975 list

ELITE
All in the Family
M*A*S*H
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
The Bob Newhart Show
Barney Miller
The Jeffersons
Sanford and Son
The Rockford Files

Solid
Columbo
Hawaii Five-O
Good Times
Welcome Back, Kotter
Kojak
Laverne and Shirley
Maude
The Six Million Dollar Man
Rhoda
Happy Days

The rest
Phyllis
The Bionic Woman
The Waltons
Starsky and Hutch

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Do you all know the #1 British sitcom of all time as voted on by regular BBC viewers?

Blackadder. A comedy entirely about British history. Something that no exec and BBC thought would fly.

BA is #2
Only Fools and Horses is #1

It used to be Fawlty Towers.

SNR
01-13-2012, 07:30 PM
BA is #2

Shit, you're right.

Eff. That's what happens when I don't double check my sources. I could have sworn Blackadder was #1.

Ah well.

saphojunkie
01-13-2012, 07:30 PM

I have to disagree.

IMNSHO the writing on Big Bang is terrible. The entire premise of this show is offensively out of date. These "good" characters are stereotypes that are literally over 20 years past their prime. But this is what Chuck Lorre does. If he could literally write the same knock knock joke for 10 years and get away with it, he would. Shows like this require zero effort on behalf of the audience, so they remain wildly popular.

If you compare the writing of a Chuck Lorre show (mike and molly, 2 1/2 men, big bang theory) with the writing of, say...Southpark, it's offensive to compare the two. Even a show like Community or 30 Rock doesn't give the audience a giant, pulsing, glowing red "SET UP!" warning on all of its jokes.

It's a pandering, placating, flaccid style of writing. The reason people do it, is because it is utterly replicable.

saphojunkie
01-13-2012, 07:32 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eF8yxDEcDIg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Everybody Loves Raymond was created with this very idea in mind. Each episode was designed to be a one-act play that was purely driven by the characters. It's actually much more of a gem than people realize.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 07:34 PM
LOL. This list is like you comparing a 5 year old Ford Truck to Austin Chiefs broken down Model T.

If you're retarded maybe.

It's more like his 5 year old piece of shit Ford Focus vs my classic 1975 Ford Custom, LTD.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 07:41 PM

Elite shows:
The Wire
The Sopranos
Deadwood
Arrested Development

Very good shows:
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Thick of It
Bleak House
Extras
Six Feet Under
Lost
House
Boston Legal
The Office (US)

Not a single show on this list would break into the same ballpark as All in The Family, MASH or Mary Tyler Moore. If you think the Wire compares to All in the Family... you are either 16 years old or clinically insane! :D

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 07:44 PM
I will say this though..when it comes to cutting edge characters, it's hard to compete with Carrol O'Conner's Archie Bunker.

Exactly. Ton's of great shows from every decade... but the shows of the 70's were far and away the most ground breaking.

Brock
01-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Not a single show on this list would break into the same ballpark as All in The Family, MASH or Mary Tyler Moore. If you think the Wire compares to All in the Family... you are either 16 years old or clinically insane! :D

LMAO Good god.

Hell, The Office is better than any of those shows.

Guru
01-13-2012, 07:49 PM
LMAO Good god.

JFC

Yes, it is only my opinion but The Office sucks. There is no possible way much of todays TV could even compare to the list that AC just put up.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 07:52 PM
LMAO Good god.

ok, now I KNOW you are just trolling at this point. Well played sir.

Backwards Masking
01-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Yes, it is only my opinion but The Office sucks. There is no possible way much of todays TV could even compare to the list that AC just put up.

Not a big Office fan, but lots of shows from the last 6-7 years have kicked some Major Ass:

Breaking Bad
Dexter
Sopranos
The Wire
Curb Your Enthusiasm
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

and Beavis And Butthead's return was totally epic.

and I'm sure I forgot a few.

KChiefer
01-13-2012, 08:15 PM

While I watched Friends, I can't stand it in syndication.

Probably been said, but The Simpsons! And South Park, though it really didn't get great until the millennium. The Cosby Show, but that's more '80s.

Beavis and Butthead and The Real World. In retrospect, those shows where awful but they were great as a teenager, and TRW sadly pioneered reality TV IMO.

Kids in the Hall. Girl Drink Drunk!!!

I was born in '80 so I can't vouch for earlier TV, but I watched a lot of Nick@Night, so I have love for Car 54, Mr. Ed, Patty Duke, Dennis the Menace, Dragnet, Get Smart, and The Brady Bunch.

stevieray
01-13-2012, 08:19 PM
Exactly. Ton's of great shows from every decade... but the shows of the 70's were far and away the most ground breaking.
Soap

SNR
01-13-2012, 08:20 PM

Elite shows:
The Wire
The Sopranos
Deadwood
Arrested Development

Very good shows:
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Thick of It
Bleak House
Extras
Six Feet Under
Lost
House
Boston Legal
The Office (US)
Edit: How I Met Your MotherBattlestar Galactica needs to get some dap. The first season was broadcasted in 2005.

teedubya
01-13-2012, 08:20 PM
IMO the golden age of tv would have tone the 70's... Before cable had 200 channels... 3 networks. Watch what they had or go read a book.

JoeyChuckles
01-13-2012, 08:22 PM
I think what we are all forgetting here is that the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you might not be right for some.

Guru
01-13-2012, 08:26 PM
I think what we are all forgetting here is that the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you might not be right for some.

whachu talkin bout willis

Brock
01-13-2012, 08:26 PM
JFC

Well, you're just wrong. Reaper already put up a better list of television shows. If you don't like the shows he listed, there's something wrong with you.

You guys seriously need to get off the nostalgia trip. MASH, Happy Days, All in the Family, etc. all were good for like 2 or 3 seasons, then they sucked sloth ass.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Soap

I am hard pressed to find anything that is as consistently, piss your pants funny.

Frazod
01-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Well, you're just wrong. Reaper already put up a better list of television shows. If you don't like the shows he listed, there's something wrong with you.

You guys seriously need to get off the nostalgia trip. MASH, Happy Days, All in the Family, etc. all were good for like 2 or 3 seasons, then they sucked sloth ass.

He does have a point. MASH was great for the first three seasons with the original cast. Happy Days went straight to hell as soon as it became the Fonzie Show. And All In The Family turned into a pile of crap after Mike and Gloria moved out.

Frazod
01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
The one 70's era comedy I remember that NEVER got stale, lame or jumped the shark was WKRP. Probably because it wasn't on that long.

KChiefer
01-13-2012, 08:38 PM
I am a geek at heart, and would love a comedy about science that was actually funny.

Here's the problem, science funny doesn't compare to everyday life funny. The best you will get is the quips they make on MythBusters or Data on Star Trek TNG, which is based on him trying to do everyday human things.

How about this classic
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/hl-9535996/the_simpsons_hardy_har_har_season_1/

The more I think of it's a race between 90's, 2000's in sitcoms with the 2000's winning because of HBO shows.

2000's also have That 70's Show, Futurama, Chappelle Show, Colbert Report and Daily Show.

Another 90's, Quantum Leap.

Guru
01-13-2012, 08:41 PM

I love it. I don't agree with you on whats good and there is something wrong with me. JFC get over yourself. I just said that list isn't very good IN MY OPINION. There is nothing wrong with either one of us.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 08:41 PM
He does have a point. MASH was great for the first three seasons with the original cast. Happy Days went straight to hell as soon as it became the Fonzie Show. And All In The Family turned into a pile of crap after Mike and Gloria moved out.

Barney Miller was PERFECTION from start to finish. So was Soap. I actually think MASH was fine all the way through but it definitely changed tone. You are right on Happy Days.

All in the Family NEVER turned to crap.. it just wasn't half as good as it was before... which means it went from being 10x better than a show like The Wire.. to 5x better.

Guru
01-13-2012, 08:43 PM

Elite shows:
The Wire
The Sopranos
Deadwood
Arrested Development

Very good shows:
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Thick of It
Bleak House
Extras
Six Feet Under
Lost
House
Boston Legal
The Office (US)
Definitely on board with Boston Legal, Lost and HIMYM

Frazod
01-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Barney Miller was PERFECTION from start to finish. So was Soap. I actually think MASH was fine all the way through but it definitely changed tone. You are right on Happy Days.

All in the Family NEVER turned to crap.. it just wasn't half as good as it was before... which means it went from being 10x better than a show like The Wire.. to 5x better.

Agreed about Barney Miller and Soap. But IMO MASH was horrible in its later seasons.

Perhaps "pile of crap" was a bit too harsh for all in the family, but it was pretty lame by the end.

SNR
01-13-2012, 08:50 PM
I think people are missing the Simpsons from the 90s just because it's been poop for so long (although it's gotten better recently... kinda). The first 10 or so seasons were fucking hilarious for anybody who paid attention at all in that time.

I think Simpsons in the 1990s is HUGE for that decade

Backwards Masking
01-13-2012, 08:53 PM
I think people are missing the Simpsons from the 90s just because it's been poop for so long (although it's gotten better recently... kinda). The first 10 or so seasons were ****ing hilarious for anybody who paid attention at all in that time.

all the crooked side characters put it over the edge : Lional Hutz, Troy McClure, Krusty The Klown, Otto the Busdriver.

The beauty was in the subtlety, and they got away with Murder at the time.

Brock
01-13-2012, 08:53 PM

Who's trolling who here?

stonedstooge
01-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Agreed about Barney Miller and Soap. But IMO MASH was horrible in its later seasons.

Perhaps "pile of crap" was a bit too harsh for all in the family, but it was pretty lame by the end.

Some of the story lines in the later episodes of All in the Family got pretty soft, but the character Archie became and evolved into was awesome

stevieray
01-13-2012, 09:00 PM
2000's also have That 70's Show,

what does that tell you?

;)

Reaper16
01-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Dumbass Arsenal fan.

Buck
01-13-2012, 09:12 PM

All in the Family better than The Wire?

Oh lord. Oh boy. CANT....KEEP....STRAIGHT....FACE...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Wow. That's a good one AC.

KChiefer
01-13-2012, 09:15 PM

The other day I said to a friend, "Can God make a stone so heavy..."
He countered with, "Can God microwave a burrito so hot he can't eat it?"
Genius! It was a Simpsons I'd never seen called Weekend at Burnsie's

Sometimes I still recite Lisa's poem about her cat,

I had a cat named Snowball. /
She died, she died! /
Mom said she was sleeping. /
She lied, she lied! /
Why oh why is my cat dead? /
Couldn't that Chrysler hit me instead?

This link reminded of two more classics. Roseanne and Freaks and Geeks! One 90's, One 2000's.
http://splitsider.com/2011/04/ten-memorable-weed-based-tv-episodes

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 09:21 PM
I am hard pressed to find anything that is as consistently, piss your pants funny.

Agreed. Soap is one of the most underrated shows of all time. It really deserves mention as one of the top sitcoms ever.

KChiefer
01-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Gotta bring this up, Rescue 911. A show hosted by Shatner featuring recorded 911 tapes always reenacted with blurry, shaking, slo-mo camera effects one and all. Laughable but I watched it weekly as a kid.

Pioli Zombie
01-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Saturday Night on CBS in the 70s. All in the Family. MASH. Mary Tyler Moore. Bob Newhart. Carol Burnett. People stayed home on saturdays. There will never be another lineup like that again.

Pioli Zombie
01-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Agreed. Soap is one of the most underrated shows of all time. It really deserves mention as one of the top sitcoms ever.

Burt was hilarious and Chuck and Bob. I used to love when people would lose it and start strangling the dummy.

Gonzo

Maybe I've joined the conversation late here but you're comparing All in the Family to The Wire? When did Archie become a drug informant that rapes children and smokes crack? Is Omar running around spewing lame racist one-liners and burning his meatloaf?

That's like saying you prefer Tropicana Orange juice over Hollow-point 40 caliber nosler bullets. Here's a picture of chewbacca, it does not make sense.

Speaking of which, South Park FTMFW.

Now then, if you want to compare a show like Hill Street Blues to The Wire or Scrubs to All in the Family then ok. I'll listen.
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
Man, this thing is a dead heat.

Brock
01-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Saturday Night on CBS in the 70s. All in the Family. MASH. Mary Tyler Moore. Bob Newhart. Carol Burnett. People stayed home on saturdays. There will never be another lineup like that again.

Carol Burnett was the shit!

Reaper16
01-13-2012, 09:35 PM
All in the Family is definitely good. It and The Mary Tyler Moore Show had feminist ideas all over the place. People remember Archie Bunker as a character but perhaps don't remember that the show wasn't positing Archie's mindset as good or proper.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Maybe I've joined the conversation late here but you're comparing All in the Family to The Wire? When did Archie become a drug informant that rapes children and smokes crack? Is Omar running around spewing lame racist one-liners and burning his meatloaf?

That's like saying you prefer Tropicana Orange juice over Hollow-point 40 caliber nosler bullets. Here's a picture of chewbacca, it does not make sense.

Speaking of which, South Park FTMFW.

Now then, if you want to compare a show like Hill Street Blues to The Wire or Scrubs to All in the Family then ok. I'll listen.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was just using his TOP show vs mine. Yes, they are apples and oranges as far as genre goes.

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Dumbass Arsenal fan.

WHAT!!! I am NOT an Arsenal fan!!! I am an FC Barcelona fan, going back to when I lived there (actually just before).

Reaper16
01-13-2012, 09:39 PM
WHAT!!! I am NOT an Arsenal fan!!! I am an FC Barcelona fan, going back to when I lived there (actually just before).
Counter-trolling: Success!

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 09:40 PM
All in the Family better than The Wire?

Oh lord. Oh boy. CANT....KEEP....STRAIGHT....FACE...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Wow. That's a good one AC.

hmmm, seeing how All in the Family is consistently voted by critics as one of the top 5 if not the #1 TV show of all time...

AustinChief
01-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Counter-trolling: Success!

DAMN IT!

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Burt was hilarious and Chuck and Bob. I used to love when people would lose it and start strangling the dummy.

There's one line from that show that I still use occasionally today, even though no one but me would remember the reference.

Billy Crystal, who was the first openly gay character on TV in that show, was getting ready to go out for a night on the town. Burt (his father? stepfather? don't recall) was obviously uncomfortable with him, and was giving him some trouble. Burt said something like, "You're wearing a pink shirt! You can't go out wearing a pink shirt!" Billy Crystal replied, "It's not 'pink'. It's 'shrimp'."

I don't know why I liked that line so much, but I did. Maybe it was the delivery, or Burt's spastic reaction to it.

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Actually, there's another line from Soap that I still use occasionally today.

The teenage kid played by Jimmy Baio (Scott's brother for you, ultra peanut) has sex for the first time. He comes home and he's in awe of the experience and in awe that he never knew about sex before, and he's trying to explain the feeling to someone. (I think it was Benson, the butler.) He says something like, "It's like suddenly discovering you have a third arm that you never knew about!"

Red Brooklyn
01-13-2012, 10:02 PM

Elite shows:
The Wire
The Sopranos
Deadwood
Arrested Development

Very good shows:
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Thick of It
Bleak House
Extras
Six Feet Under
Lost
House
Boston Legal
The Office (US)
This.

Except Six Feet Under, How I Met Your Mother and Lost are all elite shows. :p

Frazod
01-13-2012, 10:14 PM
There's one line from that show that I still use occasionally today, even though no one but me would remember the reference.

Billy Crystal, who was the first openly gay character on TV in that show, was getting ready to go out for a night on the town. Burt (his father? stepfather? don't recall) was obviously uncomfortable with him, and was giving him some trouble. Burt said something like, "You're wearing a pink shirt! You can't go out wearing a pink shirt!" Billy Crystal replied, "It's not 'pink'. It's 'shrimp'."

I don't know why I liked that line so much, but I did. Maybe it was the delivery, or Burt's spastic reaction to it.

Let me guess: "It's not orange. It's apricot!" LMAO

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Let me guess: "It's not orange. It's apricot!" LMAO

LMAO I never even made that connection. That must be my subconscious.

blaise
01-13-2012, 11:52 PM
BA is #2

I love Fawlty Towers but there's only like 20 episodes of it. The entire series is 2 DVDs.

blaise
01-13-2012, 11:54 PM
I'm not a fan of the Big Bang Theory either.

stevieray
01-13-2012, 11:58 PM

ya, glad he mentioned it....:harumph:

KcMizzou
01-14-2012, 12:00 AM
I'm not a fan of the Big Bang Theory either.It's mildly amusing, and sometimes Penny's clearly not wearing a bra... but yeah.

blaise
01-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Not to take anything away from Frazier, but it's pretty obvious that you haven't watched much TV from the past. Frasier was clever and a quality TV show but didn't break any new ground whatsoever. Look at Barney Miller, a very intelligent show in its own right... and they didn't need to be pretentious or pedantic to do so. If you haven't watched it, check it out. Fantastic writing. Another very intelligent sitcom was Yes, Minister.. but I'm not sure if it counts being British and all.

I wouldn't say Frasier was pedantic in its intent. The characters themselves may have been, as part of their personality, but that was normally used to poke fun at the characters themselves.
Just on a sort of trivial note, I always liked guessing who the celebrity voices were that played his callers.

blaise
01-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Soap was vert funny, but it was sort of a victim of its own zaniness. I think it was hard for them to keep it going because they had made it get more and more outlandish as they went on.

AustinChief
01-14-2012, 12:03 AM
I love Fawlty Towers but there's only like 20 episodes of it. The entire series is 2 DVDs.

yep, the "The Germans" episode of Fawlty Towers may be the best single episode of comedy ever.

blaise
01-14-2012, 12:07 AM
yep, the "The Germans" episode of Fawlty Towers may be the best single episode of comedy ever.

It's awesome. I also like the Gourmet Night one where the kid wants salad cream and Basil hits him in the head with his elbow.

teedubya
01-14-2012, 12:29 AM
This thread is misnamed... if we are talking GOLDEN AGE... it has to be old school. This new shit is watered down, unoriginal, too violent, repetitive or reality bullshit.

Reaper16
01-14-2012, 01:30 AM
This thread is misnamed... if we are talking GOLDEN AGE... it has to be old school. This new shit is watered down, unoriginal, too violent, repetitive or reality bullshit.
You're a buffoon.

Buck
01-14-2012, 06:38 AM
hmmm, seeing how All in the Family is consistently voted by critics as one of the top 5 if not the #1 TV show of all time...

Just google "best tv show of all time" without the quotes and tell me what you come up with.

notorious
01-14-2012, 08:28 AM

:facepalm:

There is a bunch of garbage out there, but there is a lot of good shows out there, too.

kysirsoze
01-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Just like movies, TV shows get better as time goes on. Writers, directors, and actors learn from previous generations and overall put out higher quality material. There are old shows that were so far ahead of the pack that they still hold up, but most of the time they tend to show their age.

That's not a discredit to the older shows. It's like comparing modern football players to old school ones. Those guys were great athletes for their day, but barring a few exceptions they couldn't handle the level of the game as it is today and few people dispute that.

The question in the OP is not specific, so there can't be a clear debate. If we're talking best shows, I think the answer is obviously the 2000's. Best in context of it's time? That's a question that is much more difficult to answer due to broad lack of knowledge by many and blind nostalgia be others. I'd be inclined to say 70's or 90's but I'm not sure.