PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Spinoff: What do you think about Seinfeld?

thurman merman
01-13-2012, 11:40 AM
It seems like everybody either loves it or hates it.

Detoxing
01-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Hate it. Most over hyped sitcom in the history of sitcoms.

I'd also like to give an honorable mention to "Friends"

Munson
01-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Love it. Greatest sitcom ever.

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Love it. One of the funniest sitcoms in the history of sitcoms.

Graystoke
01-13-2012, 11:42 AM
I liked it when it was current. Could care less now.

Dayze
01-13-2012, 11:43 AM
I watch probably 2 episodes per night.

those who don't like it, probably wear puffy pirate shirts.

Rain Man

:shake: And you want to be my latex salesman...

Donger
Could care less now.

:banghead:

boogblaster
01-13-2012, 11:44 AM
littl too quirky fo me .. but ima redneck country boy ......

blaise
It's great. If someone doesn't think it's funny I really don't even understand what they would consider a funny show.

thurman merman

I agree. I've probably seen a good 30-40 episodes and don't ever remember laughing at a single thing in any of them.

thurman merman
01-13-2012, 11:45 AM
It's great. If someone doesn't think it's funny I really don't even understand what they would consider a funny show.

Arrested Development
The Office
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Graystoke
:banghead:

http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/kramer/kramer032.jpg

FAX
I think it would have been better if it had been set in the old West. Or a hospital. Or a police department.

FAX

loochy
01-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Could care less now.

How much less could you care?

Rain Man
I agree. I've probably seen a good 30-40 episodes and don't ever remember laughing at a single thing in any of them.

How is such a thing even possible?

Dayze
I really like Seinfeld ; although for pure Awesomeness, I think Arrested Development has made me laugh to tears on several occasions.

Detoxing
Arrested Development
The Office

Bingo

All three of those are WAY better than Seinfeld.

seclark
like it
that chicks hair seemed kinda fucked up though.
sec

Red Brooklyn
01-13-2012, 11:49 AM
I really like it. Groundbreaking for what it is and a breath of fresh air for the genre. Having said that, I actually prefer watching it in snippets. I hardly ever watch an entire episode from beginning to end.

The show is best when you catch it half way through and fight to catch up, to figure out exactly what the fuck is going on. Of course, the genius of the show is that even if you see the entire episode, sometimes you feel like you've caught it half way through.

Hilarious.

thurman merman
01-13-2012, 11:49 AM
I really like Seinfeld ; although for pure Awesomeness, I think Arrested Development has made me laugh to tears on several occasions.

Yeah, Arrested Development is thousands and thousands of times more funny. Every single scene in that show is utter hilarity.

Detoxing
01-13-2012, 11:50 AM
I'd rather watch Everybody Loves Raymond than Seinfeld.

Donger
01-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Arrested Development
The Office

I've never seen any of these.

Fried Meat Ball!
01-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Hate it. Hate, hate, hate.

Like thurman, I've seen dozens of episodes waiting for the one that would change my mind. Not sure one has even garnered a chuckle.

-King-
01-13-2012, 11:52 AM

Well of course. Everybody Loves Raymond blows 99% of all sitcoms away

blaise

Yikes.

Fried Meat Ball!

I'm not sure.... ELR is painfully stupid, too.

Deberg_1990
01-13-2012, 11:53 AM
The first 4 seasons were better than the last 4 seasons. But that goes for pretty much any TV show.

Detoxing

No fucking way?

You have to at least watch The Office.

ReynardMuldrake
Not funny. Not even a little.

KC Tattoo
01-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Was that wrong?

I have to plead ignorance on this.

If I had known this kind of thing was frowned upon I never would have had sex in the office.

Detoxing
01-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Rainman, I think it's time for a sitcom showdown.

We need a single elimination poll!

Get on it!

ReynardMuldrake
01-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Watching Seinfeld is like listening to someone else's inside jokes. I can tell the writers think it's great, but, it's not.

blaise
01-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, it's more like watching a really funny show.

Baby Lee
The thing that really sets Seinfeld apart is it found nearly every way to be funny possible.
One week it'd be a great plot, another week it'd be a great one-liner, there'd be a set piece with epically funny dialog, then there's always the physicality. Kramer's physicality is the most obvious asset, but I'd put the episode where Elaine is trying to get the overnight guest packed and off to the airport up there with Lucille Ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEP9LElnV8g

ChiefsCountry
I never liked it. I just never could get into it.

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Rainman, I think it's time for a sitcom showdown.

We need a single elimination poll!

Get on it!

The funny thing is, I had been thinking about doing a "greatest television show" tournament even before this thread. I'm on it.

I think I'd like to make it all genres and not just sitcoms. What do people think? Greatest sitcom tournament or greatest TV show tournament?

And do we go with greatest or favorite? Maybe it should be favorite.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Never watched a single episode

blaise
01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Do the people who hate Seinfeld also hate Curb, or do you like Curb?

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Hate it. Hate, hate, hate.

Like thurman, I've seen dozens of episodes waiting for the one that would change my mind. Not sure one has even garnered a chuckle.

Do you live in a Sudanese refugee camp or something? Maybe there are powerful outside forces that are impacting your ability to laugh.

blaise
01-13-2012, 12:01 PM
The funny thing is, I had been thinking about doing a "greatest television show" tournament even before this thread. I'm on it.

I think I'd like to make it all genres and not just sitcoms. What do people think? Greatest sitcom tournament or greatest TV show tournament?

Favorite and separate sitcom, I think.

Rooster
01-13-2012, 12:02 PM

You're not missing much.

durtyrute
01-13-2012, 12:02 PM

You sir are a vomiteur. Seinfeld is still the funniest sitcom in t.v. history

Rausch
01-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Not a fan...

Lumpy
01-13-2012, 12:03 PM
WTF is going on in here?

http://www.fatwreckwiki.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/pointless/CurbYourEnthusiasm-LarryDavidStare.gif

durtyrute
01-13-2012, 12:04 PM

You have to break it up. Weeds, Mad Men, Real Sex, Seinfeld... etc are on two completely different levels.

notorious
01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I have went from Love it when it was on to Like it present day.

thurman merman
01-13-2012, 12:05 PM

Definitely need a separate poll just for comedies. There's not really any way to compare Arrested Development with The Sopranos.

thurman merman
01-13-2012, 12:06 PM
You have to break it up. Weeds, Mad Men, Real Sex, Seinfeld... etc are on two completely different levels.

Real Sex? WTF?

KC Tattoo
01-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Could have one for favorite cartoons.

durtyrute
Real Sex? WTF?

Real Sex, HBO in the 90's, that shit was awesome

notorious
George is getting upset!

rockymtnchief
01-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Liked it.

I like that the writers never tried adding a love sub-plot (Rachel/Ross), kids or drama to the show. They attempted to keep everything funny. Nothing wrecks a sitcom more than people whining through half the show.

Lumpy
01-13-2012, 12:09 PM
George is getting upset!

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"
LMAO

durtyrute
01-13-2012, 12:13 PM
"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"
LMAO

I was going to post the same thing. :thumb:

Lumpy
01-13-2012, 12:15 PM
I was going to post the same thing. :thumb:

;)

-King-
01-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Watching Seinfeld is like listening to someone else's inside jokes. I can tell the writers think it's great, but, it's not.

This is a perfect description for the show.

DJ's left nut
01-13-2012, 12:16 PM
It has held up remarkably poorly, though it used to be one of my favorites.

The more I watch it, the more I realize that it's a show about some exceptionally unlikable, narcissistic, self-indulgent, whiny NY assholes.

It has moments now and again, but I rarely find myself stopping on an episode if I'm running channels. It just doesn't hold up very well to repeat viewing. By the end of every episode, I find myself not caring if every last one of them ends up dropping over dead.

Count Zarth
01-13-2012, 12:18 PM
It was hilarious.

Michael Richards and Jason Alexander are comedic geniuses.

Rausch

The more I watch it, the more I realize that it's a show about some exceptionally unlikable, narcissistic, self-indulgent, whiny NY assholes.

This.

No matter what falls in their laps they manage to find fault in it...

Rain Man
Liked it.

I like that the writers never tried adding a love sub-plot (Rachel/Ross), kids or drama to the show. They attempted to keep everything funny. Nothing wrecks a sitcom more than people whining through half the show.

That's really a good point. Nothing is worse than flipping through the channels and seeing an old episode of WKRP and then realizing it's the one about the WHO concert.

Baby Lee
01-13-2012, 12:21 PM

It has moments now and again, but I rarely find myself stopping on an episode if I'm running channels. It just doesn't hold up very well to repeat viewing. By the end of every episode, I find myself not caring if every last one of them ends up dropping over dead.

That is actually a point in its favor, they were there before even 'The Office' BBC, centering the humor on the unlikability of its characters.

The Office [BBC and NBC], Curb, Always Sunny, Arrested Development, Archer . . . Each among the best, each premised on what assholes central characters are.

Count Zarth
01-13-2012, 12:22 PM
The sea was angry that day my friends!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fLi75niRjpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee
01-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Liked it.

With the exception of that one episode [was it the one with the cigar store Indian?] where they lingered on Jerry/Elaine in a will/won't they way, they actually went the other way.

Jerry/Elaine's 'get the THIS, without the 'that'' conversation, Jerry aghast at Elaine being excited about moving into the building upstairs. Making kids annoying or asshole single episode characters [bubble boy].

DJ's left nut
01-13-2012, 12:26 PM
This.

No matter what falls in their laps they manage to find fault in it...

Oh, that poor Jerry - he's fucking another 9 but just can't manage to find true love....

Oh look, George is a career fuckwit that stumbled back-asswards into a job with the Yankees that we would murder for. Oh wait, he's bitching about that, too.

Hey, whatya know? Elaine, who doesn't seem to have anything truly exceptional about her, is complaining that she doesn't have anything truly exceptional happening to her. Poor average person having to live an average life.

It just gets tedious, that's all. Every episode is just more bitching. And the 'inside joke' quip is spot-on, sometimes I think the writers found themselves to be far more clever than they were. There's a decided smell of hipster jackass about that show.

chasedude
01-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Loved it. One of the best written sitcoms ever!

Count Zarth
01-13-2012, 12:27 PM
How many other TV shows boast one of the best internet gifs of alltime?

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu275/leonardo_ARG/seinfeld.gif

durtyrute
01-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Loved it. One of the best written sitcoms ever!

This

ClevelandBronco
01-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Loved it at the time, but it's dated now due in part to its success in influencing the popular lexicon.

DJ's left nut
01-13-2012, 12:29 PM
That is actually a point in its favor, they were there before even 'The Office' BBC, centering the humor on the unlikability of its characters.

The Office [BBC and NBC], Curb, Always Sunny, Arrested Development, Archer . . . Each among the best, each premised on what assholes central characters are.

And like I said - I liked it when it was new.

But with age, it just doesn't hold up. And at least with shows like The Office and Curb, there is a good-heartedness to even the less likeable characters (Always Sunny blows hard, BTW). Archer's the greatest show of all time, but it has the added benefit of being completely over the top and having no true limits as an animated feature.

You can only tolerate a bunch of self-loathing easterners for so many viewings before you really start to wish that the damn plane would've actually crashed in the last episode. Ultimately, beyond a bunch of 30 somethings chalked full of teenage angst, there's just nothing to the show. That just isn't enough once syndication starts.

HoneyBadger
01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
I really feel like my comment in the best decade for TV started all of this debate

scho63
01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
It's a great classic like Taxi and Cheers. Hard to imagine someone hating it, maybe not liking it.

blaise
01-13-2012, 12:36 PM
I really feel like my comment in the best decade for TV started all of this debate

I think you started the wave at a stadium that one time, too.

WhiteWhale
A show about a bunch of asshole yuppies bitching all the time?

Amazingly the show was even worse than Jerry's stand up, which is a heck of an accomplishment.

This show does expose America's love of yuppies and constant complaining.

Fritz88
The sea was angry that day my friends!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fLi75niRjpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAOLMAO

Count Zarth
01-13-2012, 12:37 PM
The tie-in with Kramer is so brilliant, you never see it coming.

HoneyBadger
01-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I think you started the wave at a stadium that one time, too.

You remember that too?

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Oddly, I disagree with the comments that Seinfeld doesn't age well. I think it holds up very well because, well, it's a show about nothing.

tredadda
01-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Love the show. It appeals to a certain type of humor so i can see why some do not like it.

Dayze
01-13-2012, 12:42 PM
I think it just boils down to the type of humor one likes.

For example, I find Monty Python & The Holy Grail, Eddie Izzard, Spinal Tap, Seinfeld, Arrested Development etc all hilarious.

but I have a buddy who has watched MP, Eddie Izzard, and Spinal Tap with me, and probably didn't laugh a single time (maybe a chuckle, but not tears in your eyes laughing like I was doing)

But he LOVEs the show "The King of Queens". ....which I don't.

tomato....tomahhto.

Stewie
01-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Seinfeld hit a chord with so many people on so many levels it wins (by a large margin) on the sitcom stage.

thurman merman
01-13-2012, 12:45 PM
I think it just boils down to the type of humor one likes.

For example, I find Monty Python & The Holy Grail, Eddie Izzard, Spinal Tap, Seinfeld, Arrested Development etc all hilarious.

but I have a buddy who has watched MP, Eddie Izzard, and Spinal Tap with me, and probably didn't laugh a single time (maybe a chuckle, but not tears in your eyes laughing like I was doing)

But he LOVEs the show "The King of Queens". ....which I don't.

tomato....tomahhto.

I hate Monty Python and Seinfeld.

I love Arrested Development and The King of Queens.

I am a combination of you and your buddy.

pr_capone
01-13-2012, 12:46 PM
The show had it's moments leaving me in the just ok group but for the most part I found the show to be uninteresting.

For those of you saying that ELR was better though... never in all my tv watching years has a character (Ray's wife... Deb me thinks) aggravated me as much as she did. The constant whining and nagging was intolerable.

A fitting end to that show should have been for Ray to kill her and have the kids live with his brother while he goes to prison.

blaise
The show had it's moments leaving me in the just ok group but for the most part I found the show to be uninteresting.

For those of you saying that ELR was better though... never in all my tv watching years has a character (Ray's wife... Deb me thinks) aggravated me as much as she did. The constant whining and nagging was intolerable.

A fitting end to that show should have been for Ray to kill her and have the kids live with his brother while he goes to prison.

Deb wasn't half as annoying as Robert's girlfriend.

vailpass
Nothing.

Dayze
I hate Monty Python and Seinfeld.

I love Arrested Development and The King of Queens.

I am a combination of you and your buddy.

LMAO

See! There ya go.
(the part of you that is me, is probably pretty cool and can drink a lot of beer)

KC Hawks
01-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Do the people who hate Seinfeld also hate Curb, or do you like Curb?

I don't care for Seinfeld, but I love Curb. Go figure.

thurman merman
01-13-2012, 01:04 PM
LMAO

See! There ya go.
(the part of you that is me, is probably pretty cool and can drink a lot of beer)

Actually, I don't drink either. :hmmm:

Valiant
01-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Dumbest show ever, add his nasely voice, horrible comedy and the butch woman and you have pure crap. But lots loved it, same reason they think escargot is good they like to take shit and make it seem better.

Only redeeming qualities were kramer and newman.

Being a seinfield fan is like being a toby keith fan, ashamed.

Dayze
01-13-2012, 01:21 PM
you need a Summer of Valiant

Demonpenz
01-13-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't laugh at it, but I find it humorous. I don't laugh when the fat guy puts down the dinasour eggs for 5 fucking seconds to eat the muffen stumps, but I know it is funny.

Demonpenz
01-13-2012, 01:43 PM
I think there is more Humor in Ron Swansons mustache then all of sienfold put together

Predarat
01-13-2012, 01:48 PM
I like it, don't love it, some episodes are great from start to finish, others have their moments but some of them are just go on and on. Love Puddy and the Soup Nazi!