PDA

View Full Version : Football Some 43 percent of Americans believe God helps T3bow win football games

Count Zarth
01-13-2012, 01:24 PM
:facepalm:

America, you dumb.

Here's the poll.

http://tinyurl.com/74zxynf

Poll Position’s scientific telephone survey of 1,076 registered voters nationwide was conducted January 8, 2012. Among the 1,076 respondents to the Praise God! awareness question, 756 answered yes, with only that 756 responding to the second question. The margin error for each poll question is +/- 3%. Poll results are weighted to be a representative sampling of all American adults.

http://tinyurl.com/72mass3

The question, it seems, had to be asked: Does God help Tim Praise God! win football games?

According to a new poll by the website Poll Position, 43 percent of Americans say "yes."

But how would Tim Praise God! himself answer the question?

The perception is that as Praise God! is kneeling on the sidelines during a game, he is praying to win. One of Praise God!'s pastors has only added to that perception, telling the celebrity gossip website TMZ that a recent Broncos six-game winning streak was "God's favor."

Asked if a less-pious quarterback would be winning such games, Pastor Wayne Hanson of Summit Church in Castle Rock, Colo., said: "No, of course not."

To be sure, Praise God! would – and does – credit God for all he accomplishes on the football field. But the idea that he prays for his team to win doesn't appear to be quite correct.

The National Football League mic'd Praise God! during the Broncos' come-from-behind, 13-10 win over the Chicago Bears on Dec. 11, and besides offering indisputable proof that Praise God! has no future whatsoever as a singer, the video also caught him making the following prayers.

Before the game, he prayed aloud:

"Lord put a wall of protection around me and my teammates today, and we go out there and we can honor you with everything we do and say. I love you in Jesus' name."

During the fourth quarter, he prayed:

"Dear Jesus, I need you. Please come through for me. No matter what happens, win or lose, give me the strength to honor you."

Two weeks earlier, his choice of scripture when asked by Broncos Head Coach John Fox to address the team again spoke more to a desire to express communal strength and courage than an overt desire to win. He quoted Proverbs 27:17, which states: "Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

The poll by Poll Position is a window on the polarizing nature of Praise God!. While 43 percent said Praise God!'s success is, at least in part, attributable to divine intervention, some 42 percent said it wasn't – and the margin of error was 3 percent.

Praise God!'s open faith has turned prayerful sideline genuflection into a national "Praise God!ing" craze as he has repeatedly led his team to victories that, by the measure of sports, seemed miraculous. In Denver, fans call Praise God! the "Mile High Messiah," they have jerseys with Tim Praise God!'s No. 15 but the name "Jesus" on the back, they hold up signs asking "WWTD" (What Would Praise God! Do)?

But his faith has also alienated viewers and players.

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs recent mocked Praise God! in an ESPN interview, saying, “Once again, God had to save Tim Praise God! and the Denver Broncos."

What is interesting from the NFL videos, though, is how positively many players seem to respond to him. At one point, he tells Bears linebacker Lance Briggs, "I've looked forward to playing you for a long time, man. I love watching you, brother."

Briggs responds: "Thank you, baby."

At another, after being mauled by Bears defensive end Julius Pepper, he says, "Hey, good play, man."

Peppers gives him an affectionate tap on the shoulder pads.

It is a glimpse, perhaps, into why the Broncos have rallied around Praise God! to turn a dismal season that began 1-4 into an unforgettable playoff run.

Dayze
01-13-2012, 01:27 PM
NSFW language
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Virqo-pI5c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm Agnostic, but I think its incredibly disrespectful to call someone dumb for this.

Count Zarth
01-13-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm Agnostic, but I incredibly disrespectful to call someone dumb for this.

It's incredibly disrespectful to think God cares about the outcome of football games.

YourMom
01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
It figures. Now Denver has the two Bible-thumpingest sports franchises in the country. The Broncos and the Rockies.

Denver fucking sucks.

BigMeatballDave
01-13-2012, 01:32 PM
It's incredibly disrespectful to think God cares about the outcome of football games.

LOL Okay

YourMom
01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm Agnostic, but I think its incredibly disrespectful to call someone dumb for this.

Respect is earned, and those people are retards.

Mile High Mania
01-13-2012, 01:34 PM
53% of Chiefsplanet thinks you favor men over women... it's a poll, who cares.

QuikSsurfer
01-13-2012, 01:34 PM

I'm an atheist and I feel the same way... Never seen someone so "proud" to be a nonbeliever and continue attacking and demeaning other peoples beliefs.. That's usually the role of the believer who behaves in that fashion..

notorious
01-13-2012, 01:36 PM
JFC :facepalm:

DaFace
01-13-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm an atheist and I feel the same way... Never seen someone so "proud" to be a nonbeliever and continue attacking and demeaning other peoples beliefs.. That's usually the role of the believer who behaves in that fashion..

Yup.

DMAC
01-13-2012, 01:37 PM
A poll of 1076 people....WHOAAAAA

Mr. Flopnuts
01-13-2012, 01:38 PM

as much as I consider Clay a personal friend, this is spot on IMO. However, he's entitled to work through his issues as he sees fit, as everyone is entitled to respond how they see fit.

keg in kc
01-13-2012, 01:39 PM
That explains the economy and the world ending in less than a year. God's watching football.

WhiteWhale
01-13-2012, 01:48 PM
I was already aware that approximately half of the people living in the US were complete fucking dipshits.

EPodolak
01-13-2012, 01:50 PM
I hope God only hears prayers from the ball field on Sundays.

I'm taking the Pats and a swarm of locusts against Denver tomorrow.

La literatura
01-13-2012, 01:52 PM
The question, "Does God help Tim Praise God! win football games?" is ambiguous, and really leaves a lot of room for subjective beliefs to enter. Helping Tim win could mean giving him the air he needs to breath, or the strength to carry on when he's most tired, or, perhaps to some, it means that God's wind carries the football further than it would go for non-Tim.

loochy
01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
In with obligatory "Word filter ban on OP title, REPORTED"

DaFace
01-13-2012, 01:54 PM
A poll of 1076 people....WHOAAAAA

If you're implying that the sample size makes it a weak study, it doesn't.

ReynardMuldrake
01-13-2012, 01:59 PM
I have serious doubts about the methodology of automated phone polling. You are pretty much drawing from a sample of only the idiots with land lines or luddites not listed on the do not call registry.

That being said, there's a whole lotta stupid out there...

WhiteWhale
01-13-2012, 02:11 PM

No, but the methodology of polling in general is weak.

griZZly64
01-13-2012, 02:24 PM
I feel like Tebow gets helped out by something other than what you see on the field. It's hard not to sense.

htismaqe
01-13-2012, 02:25 PM

That's hilarious considering that Tebow himself said God doesn't care who wins and loses...

Donger
01-13-2012, 02:27 PM

Something tells me that God wouldn't really give a fuck either way, GoChiefs.

DMAC
01-13-2012, 02:28 PM

If I was asked...I would say God intervenes, just in hopes of screwing the poll up.

Which is what I am guessing many did out of that 1076.

C-Mac
01-13-2012, 02:33 PM

This.

Count Zarth
01-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Something tells me that God wouldn't really give a fuck either way, GoChiefs.

Agreed.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Agreed.

LMAO Which moron wrote your sig?

Count Zarth
01-13-2012, 03:04 PM
DBOSHO

Rausch
01-13-2012, 03:05 PM

I find it disrespectful you think he doesn't.

HE WOULDN'T HAVE MADE THE $#IT THIS IMPORTANT IF IT WASN'T!1!:cuss:

kcpasco
01-13-2012, 03:17 PM
I was already aware that approximately half of the people living in the US were complete ****ing dipshits.

This

It's not that hard for me to believe a huge number of people are dumb asses.

Hydrae
01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
God wants Tebow to win because it is great pr for Him. :)

listopencil
01-13-2012, 03:20 PM
A looooooong time ago by internet standards I was engaged in a discussion about something like this. It was so long ago that it was basically an E-Mail list that you subscribed to, and when you sent something to that address it copied to everyone on the list. Something like denverbroncos@discuss.com or another. It was before message boards. One of the members had said that he thought it was disrespectful that players thanked God for TD's, good plays and wins in general.

The best response I saw was that they were thanking Him for allowing them to live out His will. That is, if it was God's will for that play to happen then they were praising Him for being allowed to be part of it. Tim carries it a step farther and is very open about it. He sees no reason to hide his faith (neither do I) and will express it in honest, humble terms.

I don't have a problem with it. I do find it (at times) hilarious when my fellow non-believers get their panties in a bunch over it. I understand where the kid is coming from and I respect his integrity.

Molitoth
01-13-2012, 03:21 PM
So if Tim Tebow is praying for a win, and Tom Brady is praying for a win...

who does GOD choose to win this game?

Is this in the bible somewhere?

listopencil
01-13-2012, 03:23 PM
So if Tim Praise God! is praying for a win, and Tom Brady is praying for a win...

who does GOD choose to win this game?

Is this in the bible somewhere?

From what I recall the answer is unknowable. But it will all go according to some plan.

Epic Fail 007
01-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Well this proves how stupid people are.

Donger
01-13-2012, 03:27 PM
I've got a bet with my son on this game. If the Broncos win, I must:

1) Become a Broncos fan.

2) Accept Jesus Christ as my savior and that He died for my sins ( I think that's redundant).

3) Take him to Winter Park every Friday until season end to go skiing.

I took the bet.

DMAC
01-13-2012, 03:28 PM
People are so incredibly divided on this...I'm starting to wonder if this isn't Gods way of JUDGEMENT DAY before the world ends.

Epic Fail 007
01-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Thats great since there is no God.It was story to mantain controll and bring fear to those disobey the teaching.

Okie_Apparition
01-13-2012, 03:35 PM
From the swamps to the mountains
look out Las Vegas Locomotives of 2013

notorious
01-13-2012, 03:35 PM

1) Become a Broncos fan.

2) Accept Jesus Christ as my savior and that He died for my sins ( I think that's redundant).

I took the bet.

Your butt will be clenched when it's the Superbowl, Broncos are down by 4 with 2 minutes left and have the ball..........

LoneWolf
01-13-2012, 03:49 PM
From what I recall the answer is unknowable. But it will all go according to some plan.

So if there is already a plan and things are going to go according to that plan, what is the use in praying to god? Are people trying to change god's plan through prayer or is praying a way to tell god "I'm not quite sure you know what you're doing so I figured I'd pray to you to tell you how I would do things"?

Okie_Apparition
01-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Free will is alive!

talastan
01-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Tebow will win another Playoff game knowing our luck. Man I really hate the fact that we haven't won a postseason game since I was 13 years old!! :cuss:

Okie_Apparition
01-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Last two AFC Championships had Sanchez
If Tebow goes the franchise QB myth is dead
D-E-A-D

Fritz88
01-13-2012, 03:59 PM
tebow

zhawkz
01-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Saw the miked up TT, and nothing he said had anything whatsoever to do with God being on "his" side or winning vs. losing. I WAS struck by how well he got along with pretty much everybody, including the other team. Only thing that...uh...thought was over the top was him singing "Our God is an awesome God" pretty much every time he wasn't playing or speaking, seemingly. THAT was annoying....

RNR
01-13-2012, 04:00 PM

Well first off I would hope God is directing his attention to things like the Congo, Middle east and most importantly gay marriage!

listopencil
01-13-2012, 04:03 PM
So if there is already a plan and things are going to go according to that plan, what is the use in praying to god? Are people trying to change god's plan through prayer or is praying a way to tell god "I'm not quite sure you know what you're doing so I figured I'd pray to you to tell you how I would do things"?

Prayer only makes sense to me as a form of meditation. As a way to organize one's thoughts, not an actual request.

DaWolf
01-13-2012, 04:07 PM
So essentially 43% of Americans think he's not talented enough to win on his own, and needs to cheat to win...

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-13-2012, 04:30 PM
If he was the son of god, you'd think he'd at least throw an accurate ball.

Gonzo
01-13-2012, 04:48 PM
I believe that he thinks god helps him win. Therefore, in a way I guess god or the ideal of such helps him play at a higher level thusly assisting him in winning.
That and having a pretty good defense anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

DRU
01-13-2012, 04:49 PM
One of the members had said that he thought it was disrespectful that players thanked God for TD's, good plays and wins in general.

The best response I saw was that they were thanking Him for allowing them to live out His will. That is, if it was God's will for that play to happen then they were praising Him for being allowed to be part of it.

To quote George Carlin, it's too bad you don't ever them saying "The good lord tripped me up behind the line of scrimmage" even when it's God's will for that play to happen.

Also, if everything is God's Will, including football, why would any of us Chiefs fans ever gripe or complain about anything going on with our team? These decisions were apparently never Carl Peterson's, and now they're not Scott Pioli's either. It's God that wants us to suffer with Matt Cassel.

Why do we get to suffer and the Broncos get to win games? What did we do to deserve that? I'm sure plenty of Chiefs fans go to church and pray and follow the lord and all of that jazz. Yet they're still getting punished within God's Will as Chiefs fan?

Why couldn't God have made me a Patriots or Steelers fan? What did I do to deserve this!?

stevieray
01-13-2012, 05:01 PM
God might not care about win amd losses, but he definitely has a great sense of humor.

Epic Fail 007
01-13-2012, 05:26 PM
God is like santa ,an idea planted in the mind.

Dave Lane
01-13-2012, 05:26 PM
I was already aware that approximately half of the people living in the US were complete ****ing dipshits.

As Carlin said. Think how dumb the average guy is and then imagine that half the people are dumber than that.

EPodolak
01-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Jesus and his Pa hate the Chiefs. They can't even forgive the Royals for playing near the same park.

Backwards Masking
01-13-2012, 06:46 PM

1) Become a Broncos fan.

I took the bet.

what the hell do you get if you win? pretty high stakes, even for an Obvious Blowout Win.

Pioli Zombie
01-13-2012, 07:01 PM
I wish people, all people, including those who love the guy and those who can't stand the guy would all shut the hell up.

whoman69
01-13-2012, 07:14 PM

Not in my experience.

Guru
01-13-2012, 07:56 PM
T3bow must be the antichrist.

SNR
01-13-2012, 08:05 PM
what the hell do you get if you win? pretty high stakes, even for an Obvious Blowout Win.He doesn't have to wear any pants around the house when his son gets to be old enough to bring girls home. Additionally, he gets to tell the girlfriend unlimited embarrassing poop stories from when his son was little.

JohnnyV13
01-13-2012, 08:26 PM
The people who think God helps God's anointed NFL disciple win football games, are, indeed, both stupid and arrogant. Lets use some reason.

If God is helping God's anointed NFL disciple complete passes; then, presumably, God is harming the hapless saps who are playing defensive back. Thus, every play is presumably a morality contest in which each partcipant's moral virtue is clearly defined. Consequently, training, skill, diet, study all mean nothing, only how much, and how sincerely, we pray to the ' right' God matters.

Its stupid, because we all know the world doesn't work that way. Might is not right. OJ Simpson succeeded on a football field. So have multiple wife beaters, child abusers, self involved liars and greedy jerks. Are we now to think those achievements occured because the opposing teams failed to pray enough, didn't worship the right God, or were even worse people?

Its arrogant because the people who believe it generally have beliefs similar to God's anointed NFL disciple, and see it as validation that they have, indeed, picked the right beliefs.Thus they are morally superior to those who don't share their faith. Which is amusing because u wonder if they even bothered to really read their own bible instead of memorizing citations to mindlessly spout. One of the bible's clearest lessons is that bad things can happen to good people and worldly good fortune does not define one's standing with God. That is why the bible shows jesus blessing the poor, embracing the leper, consorting with prostitutes while reviling many rich people who were considered pillars of the community.

In biblical terms, the God's anointed NFL discipleites who see his success as validation are like the pharisees and rich people who thought their social success was proof they were better than the riviled members of jewish society.

Backwards Masking
01-13-2012, 08:28 PM
He doesn't have to wear any pants around the house when his son gets to be old enough to bring girls home. Additionally, he gets to tell the girlfriend unlimited embarrassing poop stories from when his son was little.

it's gonna be an easy win for NE.

i'd take that

Setsuna
01-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Our current president is proof positive america is retarded. This isn't new.

QuikSsurfer
01-13-2012, 08:51 PM
Not in my experience.

What experience do you have? I mean besides being 50. I've lived in Mississippi the majority of my life.

KChiefer
01-13-2012, 09:24 PM
My next question would be if they think God causes him lose football ball games as well.

If they say yes, then OK, fair enough.

If they say no, then sorry, but I think they're on the proverbial "opium."

mlyonsd
01-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Watch game film of Tebow and the donks. Watch Tebow throw. Now tell me how divine intervention isn't part of that shit?

That said I enjoyed it only that Palmer and the raiders didn't get to the PO's. I'm done with it now and hope glamour boy kicks Tebow's ass tomorrow.

listopencil
01-13-2012, 09:37 PM
To quote George Carlin, it's too bad you don't ever them saying "The good lord tripped me up behind the line of scrimmage" even when it's God's will for that play to happen.

Also, if everything is God's Will, including football, why would any of us Chiefs fans ever gripe or complain about anything going on with our team? These decisions were apparently never Carl Peterson's, and now they're not Scott Pioli's either. It's God that wants us to suffer with Matt Cassel.

Why do we get to suffer and the Broncos get to win games? What did we do to deserve that? I'm sure plenty of Chiefs fans go to church and pray and follow the lord and all of that jazz. Yet they're still getting punished within God's Will as Chiefs fan?

Why couldn't God have made me a Patriots or Steelers fan? What did I do to deserve this!?

Maybe God is trying to get you to stop taking football so seriously. Get up off of your couch, go outside, breathe some fresh air. Think about your place in the universe, the people you have loved and loved you, your family and your friends. Maybe God is just trying to teach you to learn some perspective about what is truly important in life. I don't know, though. I'm agnostic. Take it with a grain of salt.

listopencil
01-13-2012, 09:40 PM
The people who think God helps God's anointed NFL disciple win football games, are, indeed, both stupid and arrogant. Lets use some reason.

If God is helping God's anointed NFL disciple complete passes; then, presumably, God is harming the hapless saps who are playing defensive back. Thus, every play is presumably a morality contest in which each partcipant's moral virtue is clearly defined. Consequently, training, skill, diet, study all mean nothing, only how much, and how sincerely, we pray to the ' right' God matters.

Its stupid, because we all know the world doesn't work that way. Might is not right. OJ Simpson succeeded on a football field. So have multiple wife beaters, child abusers, self involved liars and greedy jerks. Are we now to think those achievements occured because the opposing teams failed to pray enough, didn't worship the right God, or were even worse people?

Its arrogant because the people who believe it generally have beliefs similar to God's anointed NFL disciple, and see it as validation that they have, indeed, picked the right beliefs.Thus they are morally superior to those who don't share their faith. Which is amusing because u wonder if they even bothered to really read their own bible instead of memorizing citations to mindlessly spout. One of the bible's clearest lessons is that bad things can happen to good people and worldly good fortune does not define one's standing with God. That is why the bible shows jesus blessing the poor, embracing the leper, consorting with prostitutes while reviling many rich people who were considered pillars of the community.

In biblical terms, the God's anointed NFL discipleites who see his success as validation are like the pharisees and rich people who thought their social success was proof they were better than the riviled members of jewish society.

Yeah, I see your point and agree with it. From what I can see Tebow really doesn't see it that way. He's going about his business and just prays to God that he be allowed to honor Him. That's nothing like what the poll is implying.

listopencil
01-13-2012, 09:41 PM
God is like santa ,an idea planted in the mind.

LMAO You have got to be one of the worst trolls I have ever seen.

Rain Man
01-13-2012, 10:00 PM
The answer is obvious if you look over at Elway on the sidelines. It's not a deal with God, it's a deal with Satan.

Setsuna
01-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Tim prayed in college too. Wonder if that's how we won 2 Natty's in 3 years.

DRU
01-13-2012, 11:53 PM
Maybe God is trying to get you to stop taking football so seriously. Get up off of your couch, go outside, breathe some fresh air. Think about your place in the universe, the people you have loved and loved you, your family and your friends. Maybe God is just trying to teach you to learn some perspective about what is truly important in life. I don't know, though. I'm agnostic. Take it with a grain of salt.

I guess my sarcasm didn't come across very well.

SNR
01-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Tim prayed in college too. Wonder if that's how we won 2 Natty's in 3 years."Natty's" :spock:

Dude bro chill bro hey bro wanna spray axe on each other bro anal sex bro

Epic Fail 007
01-14-2012, 12:13 AM
LMAO You have got to be one of the worst trolls I have ever seen.

Im not trolling Im serious

Nzoner
01-14-2012, 07:18 AM
I totally respect TT for his beliefs and walking the walk if you will.There is a scripture and I paraphrase that says I can do all things through Christ who gives me the strength.I've personally witnessed numerous people in all walks of life who lean on this passage or have done so at one time or another and in many instances I've seen them have success of one shape or another.

So divine intervention or self-help in one's positive thinking either way if it works for them and helps make them a productive member of society I'm all good with it.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-14-2012, 07:42 AM
Tim prayed in college too. Wonder if that's how we won 2 Natty's in 3 years.

$$$$EC.... LMAO You couldn't pay me to drink one Natty Light, much less 2.

Pioli Zombie
01-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Can you imagine the ratings if he gets the Broncos to the Super Bowl? I would laugh and laugh and laugh if it happens.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Can you imagine the ratings if he gets the Broncos to the Super Bowl? I would laugh and laugh and laugh if it happens.

I doubt one could even pull it off in Madden. The charmed season ends tonight. Quit being modest about the Pats.

Pioli Zombie
01-14-2012, 07:51 AM
I doubt one could even pull it off in Madden. The charmed season ends tonight. Quit being modest about the Pats.

I've said this before, I've seen this. The 2001 Patriots were just like this. And each week everyone said "it ends this week" and people said things like "God must have wanted the Patriots to win" and nobody had a problem with it. Now im rooting hard for the Patriots. They are like the 1988 Niners, whose dynasty was getting dissed because they hadn't won a playoff game in a few years. This is big for the Patriots. But if they have to lose the entertainment factor of people losing their minds would help ease the pain.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-14-2012, 07:59 AM
I've said this before, I've seen this. The 2001 Patriots were just like this. And each week everyone said "it ends this week" and people said things like "God must have wanted the Patriots to win" and nobody had a problem with it. Now im rooting hard for the Patriots. They are like the 1988 Niners, whose dynasty was getting dissed because they hadn't won a playoff game in a few years. This is big for the Patriots. But if they have to lose the entertainment factor of people losing their minds would help ease the pain.

The 01 Patriots had a 1st round bye, won 6 straight to end that season, and had a dogfight against the high powered Rams in the regular season. This years Broncos ended the season by getting blown off the field by the Pats, looked awful against the Bills, and couldn't muster any offensive drives to produce points against the Chiefs. Every good offense has had there way with that Denver D. The 01 Pats were overlooked, but cmon man.

Pioli Zombie
01-14-2012, 08:06 AM
The 01 Patriots had a 1st round bye, won 6 straight to end that season, and had a dogfight against the high powered Rams in the regular season. This years Broncos ended the season by getting blown off the field by the Pats, looked awful against the Bills, and couldn't muster any offensive drives to produce points against the Chiefs. Every good offense has had there way with that Denver D. The 01 Pats were overlooked, but cmon man.

That will always be my favorite sports season by any team ever. They won a game at buffalo in OT when a fumble call was overturned because david pattens unconscience head was out of bounds while his foot was touching the football. The snow game. Bledsoe coming back at Pittsburgh.