PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Clash of the Sitcoms: Round 1, Heat 4.

Rain Man
01-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Got some classics in this heat. Pick three.

Pioli Zombie
01-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Pick three what?

Rain Man
01-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Pick three what?

Of your favorites. In the poll. I think you arrived before the curtain rose.

cardken
01-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Max Baer Jr. simply brilliant. Shocking not even a Emmy nomination. Family Ties was a great, well written show and gave us the opportunity to see a star develop right in front of us in Micheal J Fox.

Rain Man
01-14-2012, 07:55 AM
This is a tough one for me.

#1. The Simpsons, clearly. While the plots aren't always as crisp as I'd like, and I take off a few points for animation, it's a top-notch show that can consistently make me laugh. The massive ensemble that's not possible in live-person TV gives them a big advantage.

#2. MASH. While the preachiness at times was annoying, you can't take away from the fact that it was a creative and funny show. I just wish Colonel Blake had stayed around longer.

#3. Beverly Hillbillies. Wins the #3 spot by a Jed Clampett whisker over #4. It was a bizarre concept that could've only worked in less sensitive times, but it was fun to watch Jethro's growing pains and Elly Mae's dustups. One of my favorite scenes was the target shooting in their back yard.

Didn't make the cut.

#4. Family Ties. Who doesn't like Alex P. Keaton? Michael J. Fox created an iconic character of the 80s and carried what was otherwise a weak show. Plus, Elyse and Mallory were pretty easy on the eyes. Could've been #3 on a different day, but not today.

#5. Extras. Maybe I'd like it, but I've never heard of it and never seen it. It's like Jon Huntsman to me.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Family ties is extremely underrated. Simple concept, but the execution was flawless. Some really great writing,.and strong comedic timing and performances.
Posted via Mobile Device

trndobrd
01-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Always amused that the Korean War was the basis for a Situation Comedy.

Mosbonian
01-14-2012, 08:49 AM
I guess I am probably in the minority of people who has never seen a full Simpson's episode and don't really care if I ever do.

Just not funny to me...but to each their own.

Frazod
01-14-2012, 08:52 AM

Also, a mobile army surgical hospital that only moved once (and the back to the original location by the end of the episode).

Deberg_1990
01-14-2012, 08:53 AM

It.was basically Vietnam era liberalism disguised by the Korean war setting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mosbonian
01-14-2012, 08:54 AM
This is a tough one for me.

#1. The Simpsons, clearly. While the plots aren't always as crisp as I'd like, and I take off a few points for animation, it's a top-notch show that can consistently make me laugh. The massive ensemble that's not possible in live-person TV gives them a big advantage.

#2. MASH. While the preachiness at times was annoying, you can't take away from the fact that it was a creative and funny show. I just wish Colonel Blake had stayed around longer.

#3. Beverly Hillbillies. Wins the #3 spot by a Jed Clampett whisker over #4. It was a bizarre concept that could've only worked in less sensitive times, but it was fun to watch Jethro's growing pains and Elly Mae's dustups. One of my favorite scenes was the target shooting in their back yard.

Didn't make the cut.

#4. Family Ties. Who doesn't like Alex P. Keaton? Michael J. Fox created an iconic character of the 80s and carried what was otherwise a weak show. Plus, Elyse and Mallory were pretty easy on the eyes. Could've been #3 on a different day, but not today.

#5. Extras. Maybe I'd like it, but I've never heard of it and never seen it. It's like Jon Huntsman to me.

I would replace The Simpsons with Family Ties.....the character Michael J Fox created is one of the classic characters in Sitcom. And speaking of easy on the eyes, several of the gals playing Alex's g/f's weren't bad either. Courteney Cox, Chelsea Noble, and Tracy Pollan all were girlfriends at one point in time.

Frazod
01-14-2012, 08:55 AM
I would replace The Simpsons with Family Ties.....the character Michael J Fox created is one of the classic characters in Sitcom. And speaking of easy on the eyes, several of the gals playing Alex's g/f's weren't bad either. Courteney Cox, Chelsea Noble, and Tracy Pollan all were girlfriends at one point in time.

Courtney Cox was smoking hot on Family Ties - much like Jennifer Connelly, she looked much better when she still had the youthful baby fat thing going on.

KC Tattoo
01-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Am ready to vote for Sanford & Son in one of your polls.

It's the only one I can think of that can compete against Seinfeld.

I love them both so it's going be hard to decide. Most likely Seinfeld tho for me, but Red Fox is the best.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/stdi-1tIUhM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/stdi-1tIUhM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

mikey23545
01-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Simpsons easily won a vote from me, but that's it.

MASH was simply the "All-Star Liberals Revival Hour" except they forget to give an address at the end of the show where you could send your donations.

Family Ties and Beverly Hillbillies were decent shows but fall a little short of being Pro Bowl material. I don't even know what the hell Extras is supposed to be.

cardken
01-14-2012, 09:04 AM

Cox and Pollan, Sadly no Noble, she was Kirk Camerons squeeze over on the ABC networks "Growing Pains." Speaking of which, I preferred the smoking cute Julie McCoulough, between herself or Noble.

Backwards Masking
01-14-2012, 09:05 AM

Lional Hutz the attorney, Troy McClure the actor, Chief Wiggum the cop.

Agree 100 percent, those side charcaters were All That And A Bag Of Chips.

At least until Conan left and the 90's ended.

patteeu
01-14-2012, 09:06 AM
MASH got my first vote. It brings back fond memories of my time in college when I could literally catch it 3 or 4 times a day. That was good because before I went to college, my Dad wouldn't let us watch it at all. I don't know if it was because of Alan Alda's politics, the rampant promiscuity, Klinger's dresses, or just because he didn't think it was funny, but whatever it was it kind of made the show forbidden fruit to me. Now that I think about it, it couldn't have been Klinger's dresses because we did watch Bosum Buddies sometimes.

I don't watch Simpsons all the time, but it's been on so long I've probably seen a million episodes. I think it's generally pretty clever and it almost always makes me laugh so it gets my second vote.

My third vote could have gone one of two ways, but I think I liked Family Ties as a teen better than Beverly Hillbillies as a kid so it gets my vote. MJFox was awesome and Meredith Baxter Birney, Justine Bateman, and Courtney Cox were all pretty cute. Tina Yothers... hmmm... one of these things is not like the others.

Mosbonian
01-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Simpsons easily won a vote from me, but that's it.

MASH was simply the "All-Star Liberals Revival Hour" except they forget to give an address at the end of the show where you could send your donations.

Family Ties and Beverly Hillbillies were decent shows but fall a little short of being Pro Bowl material. I don't even know what the hell Extras is supposed to be.

What was irritating about MASH was that there were some episodes that they didn't get preachy in that were pretty good. THOSE were the episodes I loved about that sitcom. But the last few years were nothing but platforms for Alda and Farrell to push the same message over and over. Sometimes I just wanted to yell at the TV....."I've got it...I've got it...now try to entertain me please"

patteeu
01-14-2012, 09:14 AM
What was irritating about MASH was that there were some episodes that they didn't get preachy in that were pretty good. THOSE were the episodes I loved about that sitcom. But the last few years were nothing but platforms for Alda and Farrell to push the same message over and over. Sometimes I just wanted to yell at the TV....."I've got it...I've got it...now try to entertain me please"

Star Trek was similar in that respect.

cardken
01-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Courtney Cox was smoking hot on Family Ties - much like Jennifer Connelly, she looked much better when she still had the youthful baby fat thing going on.

Wholeheartedly agree. But Cox has aged well. Can't say I feel the same about Connelly, huge fan but she has gotten so gaunt in her aging, too thin.

Al Bundy
01-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Just say no to the Simpsons.

Frazod
01-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Wholeheartedly agree. But Cox has aged well. Can't say I feel the same about Connelly, huge fan but she has gotten so gaunt in her aging, too thin.

Yep. Jennifer Connelly went from being perhaps the most beautiful woman who ever lived to nearly skeletal in appearance.

Only Omaha approves.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2012, 09:19 AM
I liked Beverly Hillbillies as a kid, but watching it now, its pretty bad and somewhat irritating. This and Gilligans Island were probably the stupidiest sitcoms of all time.

cardken
01-14-2012, 09:25 AM
I liked Beverly Hillbillies as a kid, but watching it now, its pretty bad and somewhat irritating. This and Gilligans Island were probably the stupidiest sitcoms of all time.

Yes very simple, "fish out of water" concepts, jokes, albeit weak, write themselves.

Baconeater
01-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Family ties is extremely underrated. Simple concept, but the execution was flawless. Some really great writing,.and strong comedic timing and performances.
Posted via Mobile Device
I loved it at the time, but that's another one that has not aged well. They also lost me when they added the baby to the show, that pretty much screamed out "we're out of ideas and the show is doomed".

cardken
01-14-2012, 09:37 AM
I loved it at the time, but that's another one that has not aged well. They also lost me when they added the baby to the show, that pretty much screamed out "we're out of ideas and the show is doomed".

Yeah the "baby" as with all established shows, is normally the "Jump The Shark", moment. Show was kept around for one last year of ratings and Thursday Night Lineup.

Rain Man
01-14-2012, 09:42 AM

I forgot about the baby-adding. Yeah, that's a huge negative and it always is. I have no idea why producers don't figure out that that's the equivalent of announcing that you're the limping antelope at the back of the herd.

SNR
01-14-2012, 09:46 AM
MASH and The Simpsons are so far apart from those other shows that it's not even funny. I voted for those two and didn't cast a third vote. It wasn't deserved.

Pioli Zombie
01-14-2012, 09:48 AM

I liked the episode when Meredith Baxter came out and had a carpet licking and rack sucking party with Justine Bateman, Courteney Cox, and Tracy Pollan. Oh wait..that was just a dream I had...
so how come I wasn't nominated for a douche award? Im hurt.

cardken
01-14-2012, 09:58 AM
I liked the episode when Meredith Baxter came out and had a carpet licking and rack sucking party with Justine Bateman, Courteney Cox, and Tracy Pollan. Oh wait..that was just a dream I had...
so how come I wasn't nominated for a douche award? Im hurt.

That is a nice mental "Daisy Chain", image. thanks.!

kc rush
01-14-2012, 10:28 AM
I could only vote for MASH and the Simpsons this round. Beverly Hillbilly's is funny, but not good enough. I haven't watched Extras.

Thig Lyfe
01-14-2012, 10:49 AM
The Simpsons has in some way touched or inspired all good TV comedy that came after it.

Extras is especially impressive considering it was the follow-up to the original The Office, which is an extremely tough act to follow.

I know MASH is considered a classic but I haven't seen enough of it to vote.

KC Tattoo
01-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Cox and Pollan, Sadly no Noble, she was Kirk Camerons squeeze over on the ABC networks "Growing Pains." Speaking of which, I preferred the smoking cute Julie McCoulough, between herself or Noble.

Oh, that wasn't your signature. Rep any ways. you should put that in you signature.

Guru
01-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Wow, shocked to see Family Ties lower so low.

Predarat
01-14-2012, 02:18 PM
this is the toughest one yet.

scho63
01-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Am ready to vote for Sanford & Son in one of your polls.

It's the only one I can think of that can compete against Seinfeld.

I love them both so it's going be hard to decide. Most likely Seinfeld tho for me, but Red Fox is the best.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/stdi-1tIUhM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/stdi-1tIUhM&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>

I LOVE Sanford and Son and Redd Foxx is the greatest. My signature is a testament to that fact!
:thumb:

Kerberos
01-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Jethro: "Uncle Jed....what are we going to hunt in Beverly Hills"?

Uncle Jed: "From what a recon they got plenty of Smog out there to hunt"!

Jethro: "Smog? What's SMOG?"

Uncle Jed: "Well from what I can recon them's Small Hogs"

Classic lines from pilot episode.

whoman69
01-14-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm surprised enough remember Beverly Hillbillies to vote for it, though it still is in syndication in parts.

Easy 6
01-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Simpsons, Family Ties, Beverly Hillbillies.

I understand why MASH is so respected, but it just never grabbed my attention.

Pitt Gorilla
01-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Easily the best heat yet.

Mosbonian
01-15-2012, 06:56 AM

I stand corrected....got my sitcom gals mixed up.

Al Bundy
01-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Simpsons are so beyond terrible.. I caught one episode when they were still on that Tracy Ullman show and was annoyed immediately.

Messier
01-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Simpsons are so beyond terrible.. I caught one episode when they were still on that Tracy Ullman show and was annoyed immediately.

The early episodes are the worst. It took them about three years to become the best show ever, and realize that Homer, not Bart was the shows best character, around the time Conan O'Brien became head writer.

Rain Man
01-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Don't have a cow, man, but we're closing the poll. Moving on are The Simpsons, MASH, and the Beverly Hillbillies.

Alex P. Keaton shifts his tie, blames Dukakis, and secretly regrets Tina Yothers costing him a spot in the second round.

Chiefless
01-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Extras is amazing, even tho it is being eliminated in the first round.