PDA

View Full Version : Football FCC considering eliminating the blackout rule

Carlota69
01-14-2012, 08:46 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/13/fcc-considers-ending-the-blackout-rule/

FCC considers ending the blackout rule

Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2012, 10:05 PM EST

Last month, Senator Sherrod Brown (D.-Ohio) called for the NFL to end its ďfailedĒ blackout policy, after said policy successfully had prevented six of seven Bengals home games from being televised in the Cincinnati area.

On Thursday, the FCC decided to seek public comment on the elimination of rules that prevent blacked out games from being televised via cable and satellite operators. If those rules are eliminated by the FCC, blackouts essentially would end.

Per Richard Sandomir of the New York Times, the NFLís position is that the blackout policy helps keep all games on free television. Opponents contend that the league now makes the bulk of its money from the sale of TV rights, and that blacking out games due to the presence of unsold non-premium tickets unfairly prevents consumers from watching the games on television.

The move comes at a time when the NFL is struggling in multiple markets with a chronic inability to sell out stadiums. In places like Jacksonville, St. Louis, Miami, and San Diego, teams at times are buying, either directly or through sponsors, the unsold tickets at 34 cents on the dollar, which is permitted by league rule.

Ultimately, the issue becomes whether the teams are setting prices accurately. Every team wants its home games to be televised locally, since the broadcast of a game represents a three-hour infomercial in support of the franchise. But if teams simply canít sell out on a consistent basis, the teams need to reduce the prices of the tickets until demand and supply properly intersect, or the teams need to win more games and hope nature will take its course.

Regardless, with each passing cycle of multi-billion-dollar TV contracts, itís hard not to think that the box office receipts have gone from being the primary source of revenue to a secondary stream of cash, at best. Games played in stadiums that, for most teams, received direct or indirect public funding should be available for the public to enjoy, regardless of whether the team that plays in the stadium knows how to properly ensure that all tickets to the game have been sold.

Since the NFL supports its desire to expand the regular season to 18 games by saying the fans want it, hereís a chance for the fans to make their wishes known on the blackout rule.

Extra Point
01-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Makes sense. Since they share TV revenue. They made their bed.

kysirsoze
01-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Since the NFL supports its desire to expand the regular season to 18 games by saying the fans want it, hereís a chance for the fans to make their wishes known on the blackout rule.

What fan supports the blackout rule??

notorious
01-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Will it really change attendance?

Frazod
01-14-2012, 08:51 AM
With the shitty economy and continually rising ticket prices, you'll see more and more empty seats as people will simply be unable to attend games, whether they want to or not. They'll either need to do this or lower ticket prices, and that's not going to happen.

Extra Point
01-14-2012, 08:51 AM
With the shitty economy and continually rising ticket prices, you'll see more and more empty seats as people will simply be unable to attend games, whether they want to or not. They'll either need to do this or lower ticket prices, and that's not going to happen.

Funny, supply and demand can be a bitch.

Okie_Apparition
01-14-2012, 08:54 AM
"On Thursday, the FCC decided to seek public comment on the elimination of rules that prevent blacked out games from being televised via cable and satellite operators. If those rules are eliminated by the FCC, blackouts essentially would end"

-An email address to send our thoughts to would have been nice PFT

Carlota69
01-14-2012, 08:56 AM
What fan supports the blackout rule??

Ones who work for the NFL? I really cant imagine anyone other than those making serious $$$ supporting the blackout rule.

How would this affect The NFLST and would it also affect baseball too? I imagine it would also include the MLB? All sports?

petegz28
01-14-2012, 08:58 AM
teams at times are buying, either directly or through sponsors, the unsold tickets at 34 cents on the dollar, which is permitted by league rule.

Perhaps they should lower ticket prices then, heh?

Okie_Apparition
01-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Put a moat around Arrowhead & put in slot machines

jspchief
01-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Ones who work for the NFL? I really cant imagine anyone other than those making serious $$$ supporting the blackout rule.

How would this affect The NFLST and would it also affect baseball too? I imagine it would also include the MLB? All sports?

Blackouts apply to Sunday Ticket.

Okie_Apparition
01-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Half time shows with rock stars in their 60s

jspchief
Perhaps they should lower ticket prices then, heh?

Yeah, they should have put an entire paragraph in the story suggesting that or something.

Carlota69
Blackouts apply to Sunday Ticket.

I get that Sunday ticket wont be able to blackout the "local" game, but what about somoeone like myself, in Vegas getting the ticket to watch KC? Would this eliminate the ST?

jspchief
01-14-2012, 09:17 AM
I get that Sunday ticket wont be able to blackout the "local" game, but what about somoeone like myself, in Vegas getting the ticket to watch KC? Would this eliminate the ST?

Not sure how it would?

Although I still believe ST may go away in favor of straight up ppv before its all said and done.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Ultimately, the issue becomes whether the teams are setting prices accurately. Every team wants its home games to be televised locally, since the broadcast of a game represents a three-hour infomercial in support of the franchise. But if teams simply canít sell out on a consistent basis, the teams need to reduce the prices of the tickets until demand and supply properly intersect, or the teams need to win more games and hope nature will take its course.

This is the most important part of the whole story.

The blackout rule works, but teams are overpriceing the product.

Carlota69
01-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Not sure how it would?

Although I still believe ST may go away in favor of straight up ppv before its all said and done.

I can't imagine it eliminating the Sunday Ticket because of out of market $$$ like mine. I can see, if it applied to the all sports, The MLB Package taking a huge hit becasue of the Fox SPorts Network. Like in my case, I just pay $5 more a month and I can get all the sports networks on Directv, thererfore Id get all the baseball games being played on Fox Sports and Yes and NESN etc..

notorious
01-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Not sure how it would?

Wow.

My father told me back in 89' that nearly all sports would be ppv eventually.

I thought he was nuts, but he is looking pretty smart right now.

Mojo Jojo
01-14-2012, 09:37 AM
There goes home field advantage...and there will be a lot of empty seats...

Extra Point
01-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Wow.

My father told me back in 89' that nearly all sports would be ppv eventually.

I thought he was nuts, but he is looking pretty smart right now.

ESPN is a ppv. Your dad was right, re SNF.

Okie_Apparition
01-14-2012, 10:25 AM
I would think the cheaper the seats the younger & rowdier/louder the crowd
& they're the ones you want to get hooked on the stadium experience

notorious
01-14-2012, 11:02 AM
ESPN is a ppv. Your dad was right, re SNF.

That's profound.

I think he meant on a per game basis, similar to how they do some college football games.

Baconeater
01-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Bending people over for parking and concessions doesn't help either.

jspchief
01-14-2012, 11:34 AM
There goes home field advantage...and there will be a lot of empty seats...

It's a broken system. The logic behind it was fans so passionate about their local team that they have no choice but to buy a ticket if its not available on tv.

Then they raised prices to a point that it trumped fan passion, particularly when you're expected to be passionate about a team like the Bengals.

"oh my game is blacked out, I guess I'll drop $500 so my family of 4 can watch my beloved Rams lose their 11th game of the year."

It's an antiquated idea.

notorious
01-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Bring prices back to reality and they will fill the stadiums again.

Pretty simple, really.

Caseyguyrr
01-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Bring prices back to reality and they will fill the stadiums again.

Pretty simple, really.

doesnt seem to hard does it?

oh and paying 27 dollars to fucking park at a stadium with plenty of parking is ridiculous

Chocolate Hog
01-14-2012, 12:34 PM
More government meddling.

JoeyChuckles
01-14-2012, 12:47 PM
No other sports have a blackout rule, correct?

Every other business understands that lowering prices increases sales.

It's fairly simple math. Selling 100 tickets at 50% of the cost yields the same profit as selling 50 tickets at full cost. I think the demand for the 100 tickets would be there.

whoman69
01-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Half time shows with rock stars in their 60s

Madonna is only in her 50s, if that. Black Eyed Peas are probably in their 40s. Prince is in his 40s. Maybe if Janet hadn't staged her stupid stunt.

In reality older rockers are making more than the younger ones on the concert circuit.

Guru
01-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Ultimately, the issue becomes whether the teams are setting prices accurately. Every team wants its home games to be televised locally, since the broadcast of a game represents a three-hour infomercial in support of the franchise. But if teams simply can’t sell out on a consistent basis, the teams need to reduce the prices of the tickets until demand and supply properly intersect, or the teams need to win more games and hope nature will take its course.
A friggen men

Frazod
01-14-2012, 01:06 PM

It's fairly simple math. Selling 100 tickets at 50% of the cost yields the same profit as selling 50 tickets at full cost. I think the demand for the 100 tickets would be there.

The Blackhawks under Bill Wirtz used to black out all home games. "Dollar Bill" Wirtz was a miserable cheap prick. The team went decades without winning anything and at one point the Blackhawks were less popular than the minor league Wolves.

Then Dollar Bill died, and his son Rocky took over. He immediately lifted the home game broadcasting restriction and started spending some money on the team. People started watching and the team started winning. They won the Stanley Cup two years later.

Calcountry
01-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Funny, supply and demand can be a bitch.Gravity can be a bitch to, but both are physical laws. Funny that our politicians can't figure that out.

whoman69
01-14-2012, 01:18 PM

Baseball and Hockey block a national game if its shown on the regional network. In the World Series, participating teams have to use the national feed for radio. Basketball blacks out games only on NBA TV.