PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Be the GM Part 6

whoman69
01-14-2012, 12:48 PM
This will be a repeating feature. We will take each position in turn. For each position we will look at the players we already have on the roster and whether those player should be retained, resigned, traded, or cut. We will also discuss whether we need help in the draft, trades or free agency. The next position is an area with a lot of questions, secondary.

Currently on roster and cap hit if kept next year:

Eric Berry S under contract cap hit $3.9 million
Brandon Flowers CB under contract unknown details
Brandon Carr CB UFA
Donald Washington CB under contract cap hit just under $700k
Kendrick Lewis S cap hit $490,000
Jon McGraw S UFA
Travis Daniels CB FA
Sabby Piscawhosis S FA
Reshard Langford S RFA
Jalil Brown CB under contract cap hit $390k
Javier Arenas CB under contract unknown details

O.city
01-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Resign Carr, Daniels and Langford

Bring in some safety depth. Some might disagree but I'd like to look and Laron Landry, to come in and play SS moving Berry to FS. I know Berry is great at SS but I think he could be a ball hawk at FS in the mold of Ed Reed.

Just a thought tho. Flame away.

whoman69
01-14-2012, 02:20 PM

Bring in some safety depth. Some might disagree but I'd like to look and Laron Landry, to come in and play SS moving Berry to FS. I know Berry is great at SS but I think he could be a ball hawk at FS in the mold of Ed Reed.

No flames here. I think we have the cap room to make upgrades. That would also help our depth issue. I think our CB corps is pretty good if Carr is resigned.

Chiefaholic
01-14-2012, 04:18 PM

I pretty much have the same opinion. Carr is a MUST sign with the pass happy NFL, and Daniels should come cheap enough to resign and already knows the system.

I'm not much of a Langford fan, but a 2-3 year deal at a cheap salary would give us subpar depth at a position we're extremely thin at. I'd much rather see a vet signed and draft a rookie in round 3-4 to help out. We have next to no talent at SS and sitting pretty at FS with Berry coming back next season.

Fritz88
01-14-2012, 04:19 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1101/nfl-highest-paid-players/images/peyton-manning-opxq-17041.jpg

whoman69
01-14-2012, 05:32 PM
I pretty much have the same opinion. Carr is a MUST sign with the pass happy NFL, and Daniels should come cheap enough to resign and already knows the system.

I'm not much of a Langford fan, but a 2-3 year deal at a cheap salary would give us subpar depth at a position we're extremely thin at. I'd much rather see a vet signed and draft a rookie in round 3-4 to help out. We have next to no talent at SS and sitting pretty at FS with Berry coming back next season.

I would say this is a position you can take some picks in the later rounds to supplement. They'll certainly be faster and more athletic than McGraw.

O.city
01-14-2012, 05:48 PM
That is why I suggested Landry.

When we go subpackage, he could play McGraws role, moving Berry to SS and bring in Lewis as the FS.

NJChiefsFan
01-14-2012, 05:54 PM
That is why I suggested Landry.

When we go subpackage, he could play McGraws role, moving Berry to SS and bring in Lewis as the FS.

The issue I have with this isn't the thought, its the $ issue. With having to sign Carr, Bowe, Gilberry plus possibly a NT/RT you almost have to let guys like Belcher and Arenas be. I personally think Arenas is fine, but do hear the arguement about trying to protect Berry. Also, if you are in the get Manning boat, you certainly have to make room for him, even though thats not gonna happen.

whoman69
01-14-2012, 06:28 PM
The issue I have with this isn't the thought, its the $ issue. With having to sign Carr, Bowe, Gilberry plus possibly a NT/RT you almost have to let guys like Belcher and Arenas be. I personally think Arenas is fine, but do hear the arguement about trying to protect Berry. Also, if you are in the get Manning boat, you certainly have to make room for him, even though thats not gonna happen.

$30 million in cap room just doesn't go as far as it used to.