PDA

View Full Version : Football Alex Smith = Franchise QB?

Deberg_1990
01-14-2012, 06:26 PM
He made plays when he absolutely had to. I honestly didn't think he had it in him, although, he was a #1 overall pick....so there was always talent there. Thoughts?

Saul Good
01-14-2012, 06:27 PM
No

notorious
01-14-2012, 06:28 PM
No, but it makes a person think about how much better Luck is because of Harbaugh.

Joe Seahawk
01-14-2012, 06:29 PM
I think He'll be OK.. However without NO 5 turnovers today, i dont think the 9ers would have won

Rams Fan
01-14-2012, 06:30 PM
No.

htismaqe
01-14-2012, 06:31 PM
No, but it makes a person think about how much better Luck is because of Harbaugh.

That's an interesting angle I never considered before.

HoneyBadger
I'd still take him over Cassel.

Guru
JFC no

Reerun_KC
01-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Better than anything the Chiefs have had since Green retired and better than anything we currently have on our roster...

Backwards Masking
01-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Better than anything the Chiefs have had since Green retired...

Alex won a playoff game...

Marcellus
Better than anything the Chiefs have had since Green retired and better than anything we currently have on our roster...

Yea but that doesn't answer the question.

Deberg_1990
I think He'll be OK.. However without NO 5 turnovers today, i dont think the 9ers would have won

Yea, I'm more of this opinion as well. Props to him though, he made sme great plays today.

milkman
I think people dismiss the idea far too easily.

I've always said a franchise QB is defined by what he does when it matters most.

Smith came up huge on not one, but two drives, late in the game when it mattered the most.

Reerun_KC
01-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Yea but that doesn't answer the question.With Harbaugh..

He has a chance....

Phobia
01-14-2012, 06:34 PM

Clearly. But you have to credit San Fran too. Most of those weren't so much give-aways as much as they were take-aways.

AustinChief
01-14-2012, 06:37 PM

I've always said a franchise QB is defined by what he does when it matters most.

Smith came up huge on not one, but two drives, late in the game when it mattered the most.

Smith is absolutely a franchise QB if you just look at THIS YEAR. He led his team to a 13-3 record and is going to the NFC championship game. He makes amazing throws when it mattered most and stepped up in the clutch.

At this point, it's looking more and more that it was coaching and not talent that held him back.

Marcellus
01-14-2012, 06:37 PM
I say no he isn't he is a decent QB and had a good couple drives today but you have to do it for a while to be "franchise".

If we were going by 1 big game sample sizes Frank Reich would be the best QB ever.

milkman
01-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Smith is absolutely a franchise QB if you just look at THIS YEAR. He led his team to a 13-3 record and is going to the NFC championship game. He makes amazing throws when it mattered most and stepped up in the clutch.

At this point, it's looking more and more that it was coaching and not talent that held him back.

You and I agree.

Might be a first.

Molitoth
01-14-2012, 06:39 PM
He's not the greatest, but I'd take him over cassel in a heartbeat. We will see what he does in the future to see if he is really all that.

Bewbies
01-14-2012, 06:39 PM
There's no way I am looking to replace him if I am SF. If he keeps this up for a few seasons then yes.

Count Zarth
01-14-2012, 06:40 PM
No one thought Eli was shit until his 4th or 5th year. His last three years are the only true years you can say he's upper echelon.

Maybe Alex Smith will be the same way.

notorious
01-14-2012, 06:40 PM
If Alex Smith was in KC, he would be the same as Cassel.

Alex is a great example of a coach knowing his strengths and staying away from his weaknesses.

Marcellus
01-14-2012, 06:41 PM
There's no way I am looking to replace him if I am SF. If he keeps this up for a few seasons then yes.

Simple fact is, where they will draft doesn't leave a franchise QB and unless Manning hits the FA market there isn't much of an upgrade out there anyway.

milkman
01-14-2012, 06:41 PM
This game was a marker.

But he did come big late in a couple of games during the season, most notably against the Lions in Detroit.

AustinChief
01-14-2012, 06:42 PM
You and I agree.

Might be a first.

haha, it happens more than I admit, i just rarely post about it. It's far more fun to rant on the 10% of the time we disagree. You're one of the few posters who makes enough sense for a decent screaming match!

Bewbies
01-14-2012, 06:42 PM
If Alex Smith was in KC, he would be the same as Cassel.

Alex is a great example of a coach knowing his strengths and staying away from his weaknesses.

The only coach that knew how to coach Matt Cassel was Pete Carroll.

Rams Fan
01-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Simple fact is, where they will draft doesn't leave a franchise QB and unless Manning hits the FA market there isn't much of an upgrade out there anyway.

Why would they draft a QB when they took Kapernick in the 2nd last year?

milkman
01-14-2012, 06:44 PM

Pointing out his seat on the bench?

notorious
01-14-2012, 06:44 PM

LMAO

Bewbies
01-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Pointing out his seat on the bench?

Moving him to backup TE.

milkman
01-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Moving him to backup TE.

So, still pointing out his seat on the bench.

Epic Fail 007
01-14-2012, 06:48 PM
What this proves is a team can win with a solid running game and defense with an average qb.So people need to stop overreacting over Cassel.No hes not Brady he dose not need to be just serviceable.Some of you just bash Cassel because its the thing to do.But anyway I don`t care bash him hes earned it.That being said I still want Stanzi starting in 2012.

notorious
01-14-2012, 06:49 PM
And here we go.....LMAO

Bewbies
01-14-2012, 06:49 PM
So, still pointing out his seat on the bench.

I always imagine he recruited the shit out of him then at his first practice mumbled to himself, "fuck me I'm retarded."

Bewbies
01-14-2012, 06:50 PM
What this proves is a team can win with a solid running game and defense with an average qb.So people need to stop overreacting over Cassel.No hes not Brady he dose not need to be just serviceable.Some of you just bash Cassel because its the thing to do.But anyway I don`t care bash him hes earned it.That being said I still want Stanzi starting in 2012.

With the game on the line was it the offense or defended that wilted?

milkman
01-14-2012, 06:50 PM

No, Matt Cassel is not serveicable.

He's a no talent hack who could never make the throws that Smith made in today's game.

He's weak armed and can't read a defense.

Reerun_KC
01-14-2012, 06:59 PM

This is the battle cry for never wanting to win anything meaningful..

Well done sir.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2012, 07:02 PM

Agreed. Even though I don't care much for Harbaugh ( I think he acts like a punk and I will always hate him for 95). He looks like one of the really bright young ,minds in the game. amazing job he's done with that team. Coaching and the right QB is everything in the NFL.

Smed1065
01-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Chiefs fan too long...........

htismaqe
01-14-2012, 07:22 PM

Smith threw the ball downfield ALL DAY, especially with the game on the line.

This proves nothing when it comes to Cassel because Cassel can't make those throws. EVER.

TheGuardian
01-14-2012, 07:27 PM
JFC because of 1 game? Alex Smith has been a total bust. And he's still a bust after this playoff win.

Brock
01-14-2012, 07:29 PM
He's been a bust considering where he was drafted. But he wouldn't be the first guy to figure the game out later in his career.

KC Tattoo
01-14-2012, 07:30 PM
JFC because of 1 game? Alex Smith has been a total bust. And he's still a bust after this playoff win.

Has won more playoff games than Chiefs have in 19 years of retread QBdome.

Smed1065
01-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Always because 3 reasons:

1) Chiefs did not draft.
2) 5 year wonder If here, (dead) and wanted killed.
3) Fans jumping on the other 31 players we did not draft per round.

WilliamTheIrish
01-14-2012, 07:33 PM
I've had the opportunity to watch all the 9ers games this season. He was ok most of the time and sometimes he was pretty good. Overall he was pretty "meh".

Today, at home, in a huge game, with everything on the line he shined like a star. Today he was a franchise QB.

Could he take his team on the road and do what he did today?

Smed1065
01-14-2012, 07:36 PM
I've had the opportunity to watch all the 9ers games this season. He was ok most of the time and sometimes he was pretty good. Overall he was pretty "meh".

Today, at home, in a huge game, with everything on the line he shined like a star. Today he was a franchise QB.

Could he take his team on the road and do what he did today?

Agree. Might just want 2 wins at home as well.

Epic Fail 007
01-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Look people I did not say Cassel was good hell I don`t even want him here. Im just trying to make the best of a bad situation.Also you milkman your comment just an easy why out.Thats become the standard answer for any hard ass that dose not like cassel.Poor try.

KC Tattoo
01-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Vernon Davis has more playoff wins than FHOFer Tony G.

Shame for Tony Gonzo, would have been cool for him to get a playoff win but would have been cooler if he did it with us. Shame :shake:

RiversRunRed
01-14-2012, 07:42 PM
On another note, this season and playoffs has illustrated for me that we desperately need a tight end. Tony Moeaki is a good reciever and blocker, but he is injury prone and i believe his absence hurt our offence more than any other outside of possibly jamaal.

There are plenty of good free agent tight ends we should look at to pair with him.

milkman
01-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Look people I did not say Cassel was good hell I don`t even want him here. Im just trying to make the best of a bad situation.Also you milkman your comment just an easy why out.Thats become the standard answer for any hard ass that dose not like cassel.Poor try.

Sometimes the standard answer is the right answer.

Does Cassel have arm strength?

Has he shown an ability to read a defense?

If the answer is no (and it is) then what does he bring to the table?

He simply should not be a starting QB in the NFL.

RiversRunRed
01-14-2012, 07:45 PM
...... case and point.

TheGuardian
Has won more playoff games than Chiefs have in 19 years of retread QBdome.

It doesn't matter. He's still a fucking bust.

Bump
Harbaugh is a QB's wet dream

Brock
01-14-2012, 07:46 PM
On another note, this season and playoffs has illustrated for me that we desperately need a tight end. Tony Moeaki is a good reciever and blocker, but he is injury prone and i believe his absence hurt our offence more than any other outside of possibly jamaal.

There are plenty of good free agent tight ends we should look at to pair with him.

LMAO

RiversRunRed
01-14-2012, 07:48 PM
whats funny? sure we as chief fans tend to overvalue the tight end position because of gonzo. but almost every good offence in the nfl has a recieving option at tight end.

It may not be more valuable than qb or wr but it is important.

Epic Fail 007
01-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Sometimes the standard answer is the right answer.

Does Cassel have arm strength?

Has he shown an ability to read a defense?

If the answer is no (and it is) then what does he bring to the table?

He simply should not be a starting QB in the NFL.

Lmao.Again idiot I never said he should be a starter,I DON`T WANT HIM HERE

Brock
01-14-2012, 07:56 PM
whats funny? sure we as chief fans tend to overvalue the tight end position because of gonzo. but almost every good offence in the nfl has a recieving option at tight end.

It may not be more valuable than qb or wr but it is important.

It just makes me laugh that someone could watch these games and think what's being "illustrated" is "that we desperately need a tight end".

RiversRunRed
01-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Of course we need a new quarterback, but i figured id not kick the dead horse.

all im saying is look at the players making plays in these playoffs besides the quarterbacks. Jimmy Graham, Vernon Davis, Hernandez and Gronkowski.

milkman
01-14-2012, 08:11 PM

JFC, you dumbass.

I responded to the stupid shit you posted.

smittysbar
01-14-2012, 08:14 PM

Then get off his jock strap

The Bad Guy
01-14-2012, 08:18 PM
This game was a marker.

But he did come big late in a couple of games during the season, most notably against the Lions in Detroit.

And against the Eagles in Philly.

It's amazing what great, truly great coaching can do.

Guy has had talent all along, but the coaching has sucked. I've been beating his drum all year. I like his game, a lot.

The word franchise QB gets thrown around like the term super model. Who gives a shit. The guy is 1 win away from playing in the SB.

16 months ago, he was getting destroyed by the Chiefs and didn't look at all like someone who could lead their flag football team to a title.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the 49ers won the SB this year.

KChiefer
01-14-2012, 08:28 PM
With that Defense? Sure.

Deberg_1990
01-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Wouldn't surprise me at all if the 49ers won the SB this year.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but has a rookie NFL HC ever won a title?

Fruit Ninja
01-14-2012, 08:30 PM

hmmm.. sometimes on this site you have to wonder if people actually watch the sport. lol
That or he's like L.A Chieftain and is trolling

Mojo Rising
01-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Alex Smith has always been inaccurate. Look at the drops today and most were high and behind the wr.

Didn't Seifert win a SB in his first year? Switzer?

ChiefsCountry
01-14-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm too lazy to look it up, but has a rookie NFL HC ever won a title?

George Siefert
Posted via Mobile Device

KCrockaholic
01-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Eric007 might actually be a retard. And if that's the case, I am terribly sorry. But from everything I've seen him post there's something wrong upstairs.

Brock
01-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Eric007 might actually be a retard. And if that's the case, I am terribly sorry. But from everything I've seen him post there's something wrong upstairs.

I've suspected that, and I try to leave him alone as much as possible.

KCrockaholic
01-14-2012, 09:05 PM
I've suspected that, and I try to leave him alone as much as possible.

Ok. Like I said, If that's the case I truly am sorry. I will leave him alone as well just in case.

KC Tattoo
01-14-2012, 09:10 PM
It doesn't matter. He's still a ****ing bust.

He wasn't a bust today.

SNR
01-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Alex Smith is a clunky mother. He's got hints of Cassel in his shitty wind-up and horrific inaccuracy on 5-10 yard stunts. When Smith went into checkdown mode for a large part of the middle of the game, you could have put him in a #7 Chiefs jersey and I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between Matt Cassel and Alex Smith.

Where he differs from Cassel is his arm and his guts in the pocket. He's tough, and isn't afraid to take hits. Neither is Cassel, but Cassel lets incoming pain affect his delivery and decision making. Smith will hang tough like Roethlisberger and brush it off.

Congrats to Alex Smith, and congrats to the 49ers. Between Smith and Kaepernick, they should be able to find at least one great player who can get coached up by Harbaugh into something special. But let's hold off on the franchise label. Clunky QBs who suck for portions of the game until they need to be good have to prove it in championships, not just playoff wins. Because they look like absolute fucking garbage on the field.

Sorter
01-14-2012, 11:56 PM

This. Alex Smith was great today in the last 4 minutes of the game. It seems he finally grew into what he was expected to be. However, this could be a sign of whats to come or an aberration. How he performs in the next week will show what he is truly made of IMO. I was surprised though that the 49ers failed throughout the game to utilize blitz-beaters such as sluggos and slants from Davis and from the slot early in the game.

scho63
01-15-2012, 06:01 AM

He may not be living up to his potential but how the hell is a guy supposed to develop to his potential when he had to deal with 7 different Offensive coordinators in 7 years???

That is crazy :banghead: instability for anyone.

How would you like to deal with 7 different bosses at your job for seven straight years with 7 different ideas of the best way to do things???

chagrin
01-15-2012, 06:16 AM

ROFL this insight reminds me of Dan Reeves back when he coached the GIANTS saying to his players, "If it weren't for that 7 game losing streak we'd be undefeated"

okcchief
01-15-2012, 06:35 AM
He had to learn a new offensive scheme every year he was in the league. I knew that held him back but I still didn't think he had this in him. My wife is a Niners fan and I have a couple of friends that are Niners fans. I've said all year they were like a 90's Chiefs team. The 13-3 record was VERY familiar. I said when you get to the playoffs you'll finally realize OH FUCK! Our QB is Alex Smith. Kudos to him for performing in crunch time. Fuck all past Chiefs QBs that shit down their legs.

okcchief
01-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Obviously, Aaron Rodgers has more physical tools than Alex Smith but the biggest difference may be the organizations they have played for. Rodgers has been in a solid organization without change while Smith has been in a completely dis-functional situation. Don't get more wrong. I have no doubt Rodgers is a far better QB but it would be interesting to see how different their careers may have been if roles were reversed.

Fritz88
01-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Not a franchise QB but way better than I had expected. I said he was going to lose the game for them but he didn't. In fact, he did the opposite.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Let's not start sucking his dick just yet. A good pants shitting and you'll start a thread about the niners needing a new QB.

TheGuardian
01-15-2012, 09:02 AM
He wasn't a bust today.

Who give a fuck? Sometimes the sun even shines on a dogs ass. Alex Smith is a bust and has been for what, 6 years now? This thread is full of fucking fail and stupidity.

The Bad Guy
01-15-2012, 10:20 AM
The Guardian proving again how limited his NFL knowledge is.

Proving he's still a bust?

The guy played at a high level, against top competition and just out-dueled Drew Brees in a playoff game.

It's full of fail and stupidity because of you, you stupid fucker.

If Smith wins a SB, are you still going to point to the 6 years he performed badly? Or do you give the guy some credit.

You and Smed should drive together on a Saturday night.

whoman69
01-15-2012, 10:23 AM
So much of sports is timing and opportunity. Rodgers wasn't ready and Smith probably wasn't either in their first year. Smith was thrown into the fire while Rodgers sat behind Favre.

I don't believe that you need a "franchise QB" to win it all these days, but it does make it so much easier. If you don't have that franchise guy, he better be someone who doesn't make mistakes and has another part of the team that can make up the difference. Brees, Brady and Rodgers all have sub par defenses that take a lot of chances because they know if they fail, the QB will bail them out. The league is set up for offenses to move the ball down the field. Those teams look for the turnover. They believe their offense can outscore you. Its going to take a win by SF or Balt to reverse that trend.

morphius
01-15-2012, 10:24 AM
The Guardian proving again how limited his NFL knowledge is.

Proving he's still a bust?

The guy played at a high level, against top competition and just out-dueled Drew Brees in a playoff game.

It's full of fail and stupidity because of you, you stupid fucker.

If Smith wins a SB, are you still going to point to the 6 years he performed badly? Or do you give the guy some credit.

You and Smed should drive together on a Saturday night.
Actually, I believe it is his complete hatred of SF showing more than anything.

Chiefaholic
01-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Alex won a playoff game...

That playoff loss had nothing to do with Trent Green's performance on the field. A QB shouldn't HAVE to score a TD on every single drive to stand a chance. That version of Trent Green with next years offense (return of Charles and improved line) would be a legit playoff contender.

KC Tattoo
01-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Who give a ****? Sometimes the sun even shines on a dogs ass. Alex Smith is a bust and has been for what, 6 years now? This thread is full of ****ing fail and stupidity.

I think we know where the supidity and fail comes from.

Have you tried Pamprin for your menstrual cycle?

notorious
01-15-2012, 10:47 AM
How can anyone hate San Fran. anymore?

They have sucked for a long time.

Ceej
01-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Alex Smith could be this year's Trent Dilfer.

Dr. Gigglepants
01-15-2012, 10:53 AM
No.

5 turnovers, the 9ers should have won that game by 20 points.

Alex Smith is why the game was so close, he made some good plays when he had to, but shit himself consistently in the 2nd, 3rd, and most of the 4th quarter.

However, they pretty much abandoned the run so their playcalling was predictable at best during those periods.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy
01-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Alex Smith could be this year's Trent Dilfer.

Yes, because Dilfer led the team back twice in the final minutes of a football game ever.

tk13
01-15-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm kind of conflicted on this one. People act like he's some throwaway guy... he was the #1 overall pick in the draft. He has talent. That said, he does panic sometimes. I wouldn't put money on him to win a Super Bowl yet... but he made all the clutch plays yesterday. And he outdueled Drew Brees in a season where Drew Brees put up some of the best QB numbers in the entire history of football. Pretty tough.

Ceej
01-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Yes, because Dilfer led the team back twice in the final minutes of a football game ever.

Not the point I'm making. Until Saturday Smith has always been a game manager in the league as was Dilfer. Both guys have (especially this year) had the opportunity to play with a great defense with a pretty solid run game.

Smith played great yesterday and has all of the tools to be a pretty good QB.

I guess time will tell.

Extra Point
01-15-2012, 11:11 AM
I'm kind of conflicted on this one. People act like he's some throwaway guy... he was the #1 overall pick in the draft. He has talent. That said, he does panic sometimes. I wouldn't put money on him to win a Super Bowl yet... but he made all the clutch plays yesterday. And he outdueled Drew Brees in a season where Drew Brees put up some of the best QB numbers in the entire history of football. Pretty tough.

Can't argue with that statement. 49ers were coached up, with the building blocks of talent, to becoming a complete team. Clutch (end of game, as some define it) plays made a big diff against a team favored to play for the NFCC.

milkman
01-15-2012, 11:22 AM
As I said earliier, this game was a marker.

It could well be his signature moment that gives him the confidence he needs to play to his draft potential moving forward.

He is not, at this moment in time, a franchise QB.

He has now shown the ability to make big plays in big moments, and that could well signal the start of his career as a franchise QB.

Time will tell.

Thig Lyfe
01-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Let's trade for Collin Kapernick!

Mr. Laz
01-15-2012, 12:13 PM
yes, coaching makes a difference.

morphius
01-15-2012, 12:21 PM
If you make the measuring stick that would you want him starting for your team, I can't say that I saw a lot yesterday that would make me want him. There was a lot of the game where he was just very average, or even below average.

Deberg_1990
01-15-2012, 12:26 PM
niners were a rudderless, directionless, horrible franchise a year ago with a bust QB. Harbaugh has done an amazing job. The right HC is everything in the NFL.
Posted via Mobile Device

Count Zarth
01-22-2012, 08:43 PM
I'd bet any amount of money Alex Smith never returns to the NFC Championship.

Brock
01-22-2012, 08:44 PM
You don't have any money, Clay.

Count Zarth
01-22-2012, 08:56 PM
I'd bet any amount of my mom's money.

Setsuna
01-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Yes he is. Boom! /thread

TheGuardian
01-23-2012, 07:21 AM
I was gonna bump this thread too.

This board has a history of overreacting.

Smith totally shit the bed yesterday. He's a bust. Always has been, always will be. 1 game against the Saints doesn't erase that.

Dumbasses.

OzarksChiefsFan
01-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Less than 50% passing in the game yesterday. That doesn't spell franchise. Harbaugh has micro managed him.

Molitoth
01-23-2012, 07:41 AM
I DO however love that Alex does his post game press conferences in a mechanics tshirt with his name on it, lol.

tredadda
01-23-2012, 08:15 AM
I disagree and I think he can be a franchise QB. Yesterday was not his best game, but his receiving corps outside of Vernon Davis is horrible at best. Plus the weather did not help. The Giants consistently rushed 3 or 4 and dropped everyone else back into coverage and his receivers could not get open. This place has defended "other" QBs for lack of a receiving corps, but say Smith is a bust when he has a worse one than we had three years ago?

Molitoth
01-23-2012, 08:16 AM
The Giants front 4 will make almost any QB look bad.

We will see how well Brady does.

Chiefnj2
01-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Kyle Williams doesn't botch 2 punts, and he's probably in the Super Bowl. For an early 1st round pick, Crabtree is a bust.

SNR
01-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Eventually Kaepernick will get his shot with that team, and I have no doubt that he could play better.

Detoxing
01-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Kyle Williams doesn't botch 2 punts, and he's probably in the Super Bowl. For an early 1st round pick, Crabtree is a bust.

Hell yeah he is.

It's a shame we dont get to see the routes down the field, but when they did show him trying to get open, jesus it was ugly. His route running did not look NFL caliber from what I saw last night.

Garcia Bronco
01-23-2012, 10:02 AM
No...Alex Smith is not a franchise QB

Mile High Mania
01-23-2012, 10:19 AM
It's funny to see the similarities and differences with Smith and TT...

Smith has a great TE, pass catching RB and defense... wretched WRs.
TT has no real TE, good RB and defense ... solid and improving WRs.

Both QBs need what the other has to really become successful. Neither is close to being a franchise QB at this point.

Detoxing
01-23-2012, 10:22 AM
It's funny to see the similarities and differences with Smith and TT...

Smith has a great TE, pass catching RB and defense... wretched WRs.
TT has no real TE, good RB and defense ... solid and improving WRs.

Both QBs need what the other has to really become successful. Neither is close to being a franchise QB at this point.

Shut up.

Tebow is your franchise QB.

Bump
01-23-2012, 10:30 AM

he's won more playoff game than we'll ever win

TheGuardian
01-23-2012, 10:40 AM

JFC that doesn't make him a franchise QB.

and no, he's never going to be one. The guy is Matt Cassel. Period.

Mile High Mania
01-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Shut up.

Tebow is your franchise QB.

Well, there is a difference in being the team's starting QB and being a 'franchise' caliber QB. TT has a bit of work to do this off-season and the team has some areas to beef up as well.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-23-2012, 12:16 PM
So, other QB's get excuses, but not ones that play for the Chiefs. Got it. Smith wasn't THE reason they lost, but yes he was part of the problem. They had multiple chances to drive down and win the game and didn't get it done. Simple as that.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-23-2012, 12:17 PM

Way to stay on track with the topic.

jd1020
01-23-2012, 12:18 PM
JFC that doesn't make him a franchise QB.

and no, he's never going to be one. The guy is Matt Cassel. Period.

Matt Cassel leads two monster drives to beat the Saints in the playoffs... :spock:

Chiefs Pantalones
01-23-2012, 12:19 PM
He made plays when he absolutely had to. I honestly didn't think he had it in him, although, he was a #1 overall pick....so there was always talent there. Thoughts?

No.

Pasta Giant Meatball
Matt Cassel leads two monster drives to beat the Saints in the playoffs... :spock:

He does usually play well against shit defenses...

KC Tattoo

He is 9ers "franchise" QB, but I wouldn't call him elite. He still gives them opportunity for a chance to go to the show he is just growing up late and time is running out. I won't say he can or will get the job done but they are better shape with him than we are with Cassel.

TheGuardian
01-23-2012, 12:22 PM

Two drives against blown coverages doesn't mean shit. The only reason anyone even noticed is because it was in a playoff game. The guy is a bust. He totally shit his pants last night. Does that not count either?

jd1020
01-23-2012, 12:22 PM
He does usually play well against shit defenses...

Buffalo. Detriot. Oakland.

jd1020
01-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Two drives against blown coverages doesn't mean shit. The only reason anyone even noticed is because it was in a playoff game. The guy is a bust. He totally shit his pants last night. Does that not count either?

He shit his pants while throwing 2 TD's in a shower?

Take away the 2 idiot fumbles from the same idiot on ST and the 49ers likely win that game.

TheGuardian
01-23-2012, 12:24 PM
He shit his pants while throwing 2 TD's in a shower?

Are you fucking serious? Did you watch the game?

jd1020
01-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Are you ****ing serious? Did you watch the game?

I did watch the game. Did you?

He had some bad throws but he was mostly running for his life the whole game and he put his team in a position to get to the SB. It's not his fault they lost the game.

TheGuardian
01-23-2012, 12:26 PM
I did watch the game. Did you?

He had some bad throws but he was mostly running for his life the whole game and he put his team in a position to get to the SB. It's not his fault they lost the game.

12/26 for 196 yards and like 1-12 on third down conversions.

Yes he was a big reason why they lost the game.

morphius
01-23-2012, 12:26 PM
He may or may not be a franchise QB, I'm still not sure I would be content with him as our starting QB.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Buffalo. Detriot. Oakland.

I said usually. Haley's braindead offseason program doomed this team at the start. See I can make excuses too!!

Chiefs Pantalones
01-23-2012, 12:28 PM
He may or may not be a franchise QB, I'm still not sure I would be content with him as our starting QB.

His 15 minutes of fame was this year. I don't think they'll repeat what they did, that defense was lights out. His season wasn't that all impressive, IMO. He is nowhere near a franchise QB. When he can pick apart a GOOD defense, ala Brady, Brees, Rodgers, then he deserves his own thread.

jd1020
01-23-2012, 12:29 PM
12/26 for 196 yards and like 1-12 on third down conversions.

Yes he was a big reason why they lost the game.

Sure thing.

Keep believing that.

Alex Smith "fumbled" the punt when it was 14-10 giving Manning a short field to work with and take the lead 17-14.

Alex Smith didn't come right back with a quick drive to tie the game at 17-17.

Alex Smith fumbled the game away in OT.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-23-2012, 12:30 PM
12/26 for 196 yards and like 1-12 on third down conversions. Yes he was a big reason why they lost the game.

That's the big one right there and a big test of a QB's merit.

jd1020
Name someone besides Vernon Davis on SF that is a legit receiving threat.

Chiefs Pantalones
That's the big one right there and a big test a QB's merit.

End of thread.

TheGuardian
01-23-2012, 12:43 PM

Based on what? Two drives against a defense that blew assignments?

Smith is terrible. He was terrible last night. They didn't convert a third down until when in the game? That's the plays a QB makes that win games. He outside of the 1 throw to Davis he did nothing the entire night.

Jesus you guys have issues.

Setsuna
01-23-2012, 02:23 PM

Smith is terrible. He was terrible last night. They didn't convert a third down until when in the game? That's the plays a QB makes that win games. He outside of the 1 throw to Davis he did nothing the entire night.

Your hate is seething out of you and it looks unbearably disgusting.

TheGuardian
01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Your hate is seething out of you and it looks unbearably disgusting.

There is no hate required to see that Alex Smith sucks and has for 6 years. He's a total bust and I will bump this thread in a couple of years when he's either out of the league or a backup somewhere.

ForeverChiefs58
01-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Alex Smith has sucked since being the #1 overall pick in 2005.

Harbaugh did an amazing job with him. I use to think he was Cassel part 2. However, I watch a lot of 49er games, and he made a lot of throws this year that Cassel just cannot make. I also think that Harbaugh has helped him read defensive coverages and make adjustments he never could do prior to this year and that helped them get as far as they got this year. He doesn't suck as much as Cassel, but isn't quite as good as Flacco either.

But I think Smith has hit his ceiling this year. He was actually 1-13 on 3rd down and the one didn't come until the end of regulation. He had 1 pass to a WR for 3 yards.

Sure, you can give him a lot of excuses, but Eli didn't have much problem throwing in the rain while also getting his ass kicked 20 different times.

Dispite everything they still had a big chance to win it, take away the 2 fumbles, or get the fumble that Bradshaw sure seemed to lose, or one of the INT's the 49ers ran into eachother trying to get.

But ultimately, if the teams switched QB's there would be no doubt the best QB would still win.

WhiteWhale
01-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Smith did what Cassel did in 2010. The only difference is that the SF defense is flat out incredible. They put a beating on Eli like I've rarely seen. Props to Eli for taking that beating like a man and pulling out the win.

The 49ers set team records in FG attempts and FG's and were balls in the redzone all year. Smith threw 17 TD's and threw fewer than 500 passes.

Gratz to Smith for having the game of his life against Drew Brees. He won't do it again.

ForeverChiefs58
01-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Smith did what Cassel did in 2010. The only difference is that the SF defense is flat out incredible. They put a beating on Eli like I've rarely seen. Props to Eli for taking that beating like a man and pulling out the win.

The 49ers set team records in FG attempts and FG's and were balls in the redzone all year. Smith threw 17 TD's and threw fewer than 500 passes.

Gratz to Smith for having the game of his life against Drew Brees. He won't do it again.

Agreed. I gained a lot of respect for Eli hanging in that pocket knowing he would get hammered for the 20th time.

49er defense was lights out against NO. Who doesn't win a game while getting 5 turnovers? Of course Brees was the main factor in being in that game, but Dick Vermeil would be happy to tell you it is just about impossible to lose a game while getting 5 turnovers at home.

morphius
01-23-2012, 04:28 PM

Based on his play, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be content with him as our QB. You want him as our QB now?

morphius
getting confused.

DonTellMeShowMe
01-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Yes, until he gets beat out by Kaep or Tolzein when either of them is ready to go. Smith showed a lot this year with Harbaugh's system. Even with the lockout. This offseason should be extremely helpful to him

Deberg_1990
09-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Dude has turned into a "playa"

L.A. Chieffan
09-10-2012, 11:33 AM
The impact of a Head Coach. Harbaugh has completely turned the franchise around

Mr. Laz
09-10-2012, 11:37 AM
The impact of a Head Coach. Harbaugh has completely turned the franchise around
yep, coaching can dramatically effect the QB position

Reerun_KC
09-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I would give my left nut for a Coach like Harbaugh....

My god, to have a young passionate coach that you can build a franchise and Franchise QB around...

Dreamy....

Yet we keep rehashing the NFL retards...

durtyrute
09-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Quinn or Stanzi still have a chance.

HemiEd
09-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Dude has turned into a "playa"

If only the Chiefs had given Todd Blackledge that long to develop, history might be different. They might have picked several 1st round QBs by now.

jd1020
09-10-2012, 01:59 PM

OH JOY! I look forward to those days. :banghead:

Ceej
09-10-2012, 02:00 PM

My god, to have a young passionate coach that you can build a franchise and Franchise QB around...

Dreamy....

You know how I know you're gay?

Reerun_KC
09-10-2012, 02:02 PM
You know how I know you're gay?

Yeah I am gay for building a yearly contender with a NFL coaching staff...

Chiefs Pantalones
09-10-2012, 02:02 PM
This is indeed overreaction Monday. Alex Smith? LMAO

Ceej
09-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Yeah I am gay for building a yearly contender with a NFL coaching staff...

Maybe so. Just not sure I would have used the adjective "dreamy" is all.

Tombstone RJ
09-10-2012, 02:04 PM
maybe this Niners win proves that GB still has a pretty mediocre defense? I didn't watch the game but it sure seems that way given the fact that the Niners aren't known for their offense.

Reerun_KC
09-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Maybe so. Just not sure I would have used the adjective "dreamy" is all.

At this point, it was the best I can come up with.

Would love to have the feeling on sundays when the Chiefs were playing for something meaningful.

Or have the ability to be competitive... Shit since Vermiel left, every sunday has been like the last... Its tiring.

Ceej
09-10-2012, 02:06 PM
At this point, it was the best I can come up with.

Would love to have the feeling on sundays when the Chiefs were playing for something meaningful.

Or have the ability to be competitive... Shit since Vermiel left, every sunday has been like the last... Its tiring.

I'm picking up what you're putting down.

"Dreamy" made me chuckle though.

Reerun_KC
09-10-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm picking up what you're putting down.

"Dreamy" made me chuckle though.

Youre welcome....

King_Chief_Fan
09-10-2012, 02:55 PM

stanzi is history....he is just hanging out on the sideline

Buehler445
09-10-2012, 05:09 PM

Dreamy....

I had hoped Haley would be that young passionate guy, but he sucked too. I think the Chiefs are fucking cursed. Maybe it is just me. God fucking hates me.

KC Tattoo
09-10-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't know what to think about Alex Smith other than good for him & his coaches to stick with him. Kudos.

I remember his rookie year comming here and we crushed the 9ers 41 to 0 & Hutard was our QB. Now they are continders and we are happless wondering what to do on offense and defense fooling ourselves that we are better than we are and with casshole at QB.

Maybe it shows drafting a QB allows to build a time frame to build a team that can be in Super Bowl contintion?

Deberg_1990
02-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Fun thread to revisit. This was created after the Saints playoff game last year.

BigMeatballDave
02-27-2013, 12:58 PM

At this point, it's looking more and more that it was coaching and not talent that held him back.You and I agree.

Might be a first.Surprised no one dug these gems up :D