PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger: Now is the time for Chiefs to make bold move at QB

Tribal Warfare
01-15-2012, 01:13 AM
Now is the time for Chiefs to make bold move at QB (http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14/3371510/now-is-the-time-for-chiefs-to.html)
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star

The old personnel man wants a promise you won’t use his name. He will talk to you, and say exactly what he thinks, but doesn’t want to be the one using a public forum like the local newspaper to tell Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli how to do his job.

It’s just that the man spent a few decades being paid to evaluate NFL talent and he can’t look at the Chiefs without seeing what he thinks is obvious.

“They need a quarterback,” the man says. “Matt Cassel is fine, but look at the league now, the way things are, you need to do better than Matt Cassel. At least bring in someone to compete.”

This is the Chiefs’ major decision now. It is real, even if the decision-makers are maintaining their usual silence. Cassel is the incumbent, and there are no indications that the most important opinions on him are wavering.

But the costs of moving on have never been lower, the potential benefits never been higher, and the timing never better. The easy thing is to see that the Chiefs need to get better at quarterback.

The harder thing is thinking through the options and making the necessary sacrifices.

• • •

That whole Suck For Luck thing is nonsense. A nonstarter. NFL teams don’t throw seasons, and they certainly don’t make progress by throwing seasons.

But right now, it’s impossible not to think about it.

Because the Chiefs will own the 11th or 12th pick in April’s draft — it’ll be decided by a coin flip with Seattle — and that’s just too far to trade into the first (Andrew Luck) or second (Robert Griffin III) pick. Whatever chance the Chiefs had to draft one of this class’ premier quarterbacks died when they won seven games.

Shawn Zobel, who runs DraftHeadquarters.com, thinks a realistic framework for the Chiefs to move into the No. 2 pick would be roughly what Atlanta gave up last year to move from No. 27 to No. 6 in order to take Julio Jones: two first-round picks, one second, and two fourths.

The NFL’s new CBA includes cost-control on rookies, plus the Browns have extra picks from the trade with Atlanta, so it would be an enormous stretch for the Chiefs to make the best offer. Either way, it would be a staggering haul that didn’t help the Falcons, plus left them without a first- or fourth-round pick this year.

Griffin’s potential is real, but the Chiefs have too many other needs — starting with an offensive line that needs to get both younger and better — to do that. Besides, trading up is entirely out of Pioli’s track record.

We also know that re-signing Kyle Orton is both uncertain (he’ll have other options) and entirely inadequate. That leaves two options for a bold move: take a quarterback with the first-round pick, or go big with someone else’s quarterback.

A first-round pick probably means Texas A&M’s Ryan Tannehill. He’s a former wide receiver with only a season and a half as a starting quarterback, so he’s raw, especially with quarterback intricacies like pre-snap reads and progressing through receivers. He recently broke his foot but is expected to recover.

The last option is the one that makes the most sense. Peyton Manning is the sexy name, of course, and the obvious and sad irony is that the Chiefs haven’t won a playoff game since the last time they brought in someone else’s aching Hall of Fame quarterback, Joe Montana.

Manning would be a no-brainer, both in terms of football and public relations. The problem is the list of what would have to happen — his neck fully heals, the Colts let him go, and he decides he wants to play somewhere else — is wrought with uncertainty.

The positive is that the Chiefs are in a place to offer Manning a talented roster with a coaching staff that could still be suited to him and a presumably winnable division.

Matt Flynn is the best free agent, though the Packers could use the franchise tag to keep him as their backup. Flynn drove up his price by throwing for six touchdowns and a franchise-record 480 yards in the season finale against Detroit, and was also good (24 of 37 passing, 251 yards, three touchdowns and an interception) in his one start last season.

But here’s the irony: his profile is an awful lot like Matt Cassel’s was three years ago. Both are career backups to Hall of Famers. Both have benefitted from being in wildly successful systems. Flynn will be 27 when the season begins, just like Cassel was when he began with the Chiefs.

It’s a small sample, but perhaps instructive that of two NFL personnel men who spoke for this column, one said he liked Cassel more three years ago than he likes Flynn now.

That’s OK. There aren’t many certainties in the NFL, but here’s one: the Chiefs are in a promising place that can best be ruined by lacking the guts to do something bold.

• • •

The advantage the Chiefs have in searching for a better quarterback situation is in timing first, and resources second.

Romeo Crennel hasn’t hired an offensive coordinator, or even given much of an indication on which coaches will be back. That gives him an opportunity to sync the new staff with whatever decision is made about the quarterback.

Acquiring someone else’s quarterback — Manning or Flynn — comes with an added benefit. The Chiefs have plenty of salary-cap space, and could structure any deal in such a way to make the most out of the league-mandated spending minimum that begins in the 2013 season.

The quote at the top of this column is a pretty good summation. Cassel is fine. He’s had four seasons as a starting quarterback. Twice he won 10 games, once he played for a team that had no chance, and the other he got hurt.

But this narrative from the Chiefs that Cassel is young and developing needs to stop. He turns 30 in May. He’s started 54 games. Rookies are coming into the NFL ready.

Cassel told The Star last week he wouldn’t mind if the Chiefs made him compete for the job. Nothing that happened last season indicates that competition would come from Ricky Stanzi.

The Chiefs have the chassis for a good football team, now and into the future. Much of that is because of the improvement of players such as Tamba Hali and Jamaal Charles and Pioli’s ability to sign them long-term.

Since Pioli took over three years ago, two of the most consistent limits on the team have been his unwillingness to make bold personnel acquisitions and the quarterback.

This offseason presents the perfect chance to change that.

DeezNutz
01-15-2012, 01:18 AM
Go bold! Get a backup to compete with the front-line backup you already have!

Tribal Warfare
01-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Cassel told The Star last week he wouldn’t mind if the Chiefs made him compete for the job. Nothing that happened last season indicates that competition would come from Ricky Stanzi.

Well, Stanzi never was given a chance last year because of Haley's bromance with Palko.

-King-
01-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Pioli is smart. He knows what he's looking for in a QB. Before every interview with a QB at the Combine, he balls up a bubble gum wrapper and throws it on the floor. If a QB picks it up and throws it in the trash can, he'll get drafted. If not, he wont. Sanchez and Freeman both left the wrapper on the floor. Hopefully RGIII won't make the same mistake.

Side note: Stanzi picked up the wrapper, but in the process, he farted, that's why Pioli waited until the 5th round to draft him.

KCrockaholic
01-15-2012, 01:23 AM
IDK bout others, but I'd give up this years 1st, next years 1st, and this years 2nd for RG3. No problem.

Jethopper
01-15-2012, 01:26 AM
"`

Chiefs Pantalones
01-15-2012, 01:28 AM
Pioli has no balls. He's going down burning with Cassel.

SNR
01-15-2012, 01:30 AM
True fans who don't follow the team online probably think this article is an edgy, bold, and abrasive critique of Matt Cassel, their starting QB.

KCrockaholic
01-15-2012, 01:32 AM
True fans: "Mellinger is really going out on a limb talking about Cassel like that. He only went to the pro bowl in 2010." (yet I know people that bring his pro bowl up, but they forget he was an alternate because Brady couldn't go)

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2012, 01:33 AM
Dumbass. At least Flynn actually PLAYED in college.

Tribal Warfare
01-15-2012, 01:35 AM
Pioli has no balls. He's going down burning with Cassel.

I agree if shit doesn't change with drafting a 1st round QB, or giving Stanzi a chance to see what he has when he plays with the 1st stringers.

SNR
01-15-2012, 01:36 AM
My eyes lit up with excitement and wonder when I read this title. I thought that somebody from the KC Star was actually going to advocate drafting one of the top two QBs in this year's draft.

Then I read "Matt Cassel is fine". Worry started to set in.

Then I read "Griffin’s potential is real, but the Chiefs have too many other needs..." I got pissed.

After reading Mellinger act like a retarded dildo of a true fan, I thought the article couldn't get any worse. But then Mellinger wrote this gem:

"Cassel told The Star last week he wouldn’t mind if the Chiefs made him compete for the job. Nothing that happened last season indicates that competition would come from Ricky Stanzi."

http://xn-games.net/okra/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ffuuu.jpg

KCrockaholic
01-15-2012, 01:39 AM
DO IT!!!!

I'll get right on that. Gonna give good ol Scotty a call. Gotta watch what I say though. They've been tapping into my phone lines lately.

KcMizzou
01-15-2012, 01:43 AM
IDK bout others, but I'd give up this years 1st, next years 1st, and this years 2nd for RG3. No problem.DO this!!

KCrockaholic
01-15-2012, 01:47 AM
DO this!!

I will. And because I'm a nice guy, I erased your previous post about the article. :)

bigbucks24
01-15-2012, 01:49 AM
IDK bout others, but I'd give up this years 1st, next years 1st, and this years 2nd for RG3. No problem.

I think because of the draft position of the Chiefs and the number of teams that need a QB, it will take more than that to get RGIII. I think the Browns, Redskins and Dolphins will also be making offers. This could get into a bidding war.

KCrockaholic
01-15-2012, 01:50 AM
I think because of the draft position of the Chiefs and the number of teams that need a QB, it will take more than that to get RGIII. I think the Browns, Redskins and Dolphins will also be making offers. This could get into a bidding war.

KC would likely be the odd team out if it came down to those 4 teams making offers. The others just have more to work with. It's a sad story, but we will once again leave draft day without a potential franchise QB.

Backwards Masking
01-15-2012, 02:11 AM
manning to KC! we're not getting Luck or RGIII and our defense Kicks Ass.

its Now Or Never

Fritz88
01-15-2012, 02:45 AM
There is nothing bold about Pioli. He is the epitome of playing it safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Backwards Masking
01-15-2012, 02:57 AM
There is nothing bold about Pioli. He is the epitome of playing it safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

no such thing when it comes to QB... although Egoli would surely argue with me....

NJChiefsFan
01-15-2012, 03:19 AM
Sign me up for that trade. If Cassel is anything close to what Pioli thinks he is, he can get one of his 4ths back by trading him.

Hog Farmer
01-15-2012, 04:16 AM
If we had a stud QB right now to go with the team we have right now we would be legit contenders. Therefore I say trade the whole friggin draft if thats what it takes .

KC Tattoo
01-15-2012, 04:22 AM
It's sad that the average fan of the NFL can point out all the flaws of having Matt Cassel as QB & yet our GM is blind. How ignorant can he be? It's mental retartdation at this point.

Chocolate Hog
01-15-2012, 04:24 AM
Matt Cassel has won games and taken this team to the playoffs before.

bevischief
01-15-2012, 04:30 AM
no shit...

KCUnited
01-15-2012, 07:51 AM
"Griffin’s potential is real, but the Chiefs have too many other needs — starting with an offensive line that needs to get both younger and better — to do that."

For those that were asking, this is representative of the sentiment in KC. It's a warped mindset.

malachi47000
01-15-2012, 07:52 AM
I say trade down, pick up an extra first for next year by trading into the 20's. Fill as many key positions through draft and Free Agency (have to spend this year) and resign Orton. Orton has shown he can do well with this run first offense and is the most likely option that Pioli would play (safe). If the Orton experiment doesn't work, we have multiple 1st's to move up and get Barkley next year.

htismaqe
01-15-2012, 07:58 AM
It's sad that the average fan of the NFL can point out all the flaws of having Matt Cassel as QB & yet our GM is blind. How ignorant can he be? It's mental retartdation at this point.

I woke up this morning thinking positive for a change.

There's just NO WAY that the ENTIRE football world is smarter than Pioli. They're going to part ways with Cassel as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

milkman
01-15-2012, 08:18 AM
I've said this before, and I firmly believe it.

If the Colts pay Manning the 28 mil bonus in March, they will be a team in win now mode.

They will be shopping that #1 overall, and they will be looking for players that are proven and can help them right now, because they will have about a 3 year window.

To get that pick, a package that includes both draft picks and players will have to be involved, and they need help in all 3 levels of thier defense the most.

The Chiefs are one of the few teams that have the cap space to absorb any signing bonuses that will accelerate to the cap if they trade players.

I'd offer this year's first and third, Glen Dorsey, DJ and Kendrick Lewis for the #1 overall to take Luck.

Danman
01-15-2012, 08:24 AM
I say trade down, pick up an extra first for next year by trading into the 20's. Fill as many key positions through draft and Free Agency (have to spend this year) and resign Orton. Orton has shown he can do well with this run first offense and is the most likely option that Pioli would play (safe). If the Orton experiment doesn't work, we have multiple 1st's to move up and get Barkley next year.

I like this idea, except I think the better target might be Tyler Wilson.

DTLB58
01-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Finally, someone outside of this board has talked about the elephant in the room.

In his comparisons to Cassel and Flynn he forgot that Flynn actually played college ball. :p

IMO, The Colts won't trade Peyton. (I've been wrong before)

Secondly, I think Peyton will not be able to recreate what he did with that offense elsewhere. It took lots of time, right, smart players and chemistry working over and over to master what he did in Indy. To just walk in somewhere else and run that "type" of offense, I don't see it.

DTLB58
01-15-2012, 09:15 AM

Yep. The Rams need Blackmon for Bradford, but they could get offered a butt load to rebuild that team.

TEX
01-15-2012, 09:43 AM

If the Colts pay Manning the 28 mil bonus in March, they will be a team in win now mode.

They will be shopping that #1 overall, and they will be looking for players that are proven and can help them right now, because they will have about a 3 year window.

To get that pick, a package that includes both draft picks and players will have to be involved, and they need help in all 3 levels of thier defense the most.

The Chiefs are one of the few teams that have the cap space to absorb any signing bonuses that will accelerate to the cap if they trade players.

I'd offer this year's first and third, Glen Dorsey, DJ and Kendrick Lewis for the #1 overall to take Luck.

You probably would...

milkman
01-15-2012, 09:46 AM
You probably would...

I probably would do something that I said I probaby would do.

That's an insightful observation right there.

Extra Point
01-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Pioli is smart. He knows what he's looking for in a QB. Before every interview with a QB at the Combine, he balls up a bubble gum wrapper and throws it on the floor. If a QB picks it up and throws it in the trash can, he'll get drafted. If not, he wont. Sanchez and Freeman both left the wrapper on the floor. Hopefully RGIII won't make the same mistake.

Side note: Stanzi picked up the wrapper, but in the process, he farted, that's why Pioli waited until the 5th round to draft him.

COMEDY GOLD, JERRY! COMEDY GOLD!LMAO

Extra Point
01-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Let's face it: no QB in round 1, no high power trade. This article is a collective of snippets of posts here. "Wait til next year." Bold move: Sign Orton, skip the draft pick, get some help in the lineup, and get the OC position upgraded.

Try Chocolate Chip instead of plain vanilla on a cone, instead of a cup. Stand out, be bold.

Heh.

boogblaster
01-15-2012, 10:43 AM
it ain't gona happen ......

go bowe
01-15-2012, 10:50 AM

There's just NO WAY that the ENTIRE football world is smarter than Pioli. They're going to part ways with Cassel as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

your and idiot...

we can win it all with mark castle...

we don't need no stinkin' quarterback...

siberian khatru
01-15-2012, 10:55 AM
So Mellinger says "Be bold!", but the truly bold move of trading up to grab a QB, he talks down.

Mellinger himself can't even be bold enough to support his own thesis. I mean, he even talks down the idea of signing Flynn.

The boldest thing he can come up with is sign someone to compete with Cassel?

Shit or get off the pot, Sam. Choose one of those options and ADVOCATE for it. Dismiss the potential pitfalls of trading up and make a STRONG argument for doing it. You're a goddamn columnist, give us some OPINIONS.

SNR
01-15-2012, 10:55 AM

There's just NO WAY that the ENTIRE football world is smarter than Pioli. They're going to part ways with Cassel as soon as the opportunity presents itself.I read this article viewing a positive change in KC Sports Journalism: Somebody called for Cassel losing his job.

The thing is... ergh. Maybe it's because I'm an angry person, but the truth isn't getting acknowledged here. I wish a writer would say something to the effect of "Matt Cassel sucks". What was written here is too nice. People have to know that no, Matt Cassel is NOT fine. He's terrible. He's the one thing that will prevent the team from winning a playoff game next year.

BossChief
01-15-2012, 11:11 AM
If we draft a quarterback and re-sign Orton, I don't see how Cassel would even make the team next year.

Time to move on.

whoman69
01-15-2012, 11:17 AM

Every year I hear someone say trade down. It doesn't always work that easily. There has to be someone in our range that another team wants that they believe another team will draft before them. I can't see who that player would be.

BigChiefFan
01-15-2012, 11:21 AM
We need to get better at QB...well, Melly, we aren't going to find a QB in FA or staying put in the draft, so...the only logical solution is to TRADE UP in the draft.

ForeverChiefs58
01-15-2012, 11:27 AM
We could use both

Report: Peyton Manning, Jeff Saturday to Redskins 'Very Likely'

by Ricky Doyle on Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:04PM

The Colts reportedly plan to draft future franchise quarterback Andrew Luck with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. If that spells the end of Peyton Manning's tenure in Indianapolis, the veteran could end up in the nation's capital.

According to ESPN's Bram Weinstein, a source indicates that it's "very likely" that Manning and center Jeff Saturday will join the Redskins.

Manning inked a five-year, $90 million last offseason, but the Colts could elect to rebuild with Luck at the helm going forward. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported last week that Indianapolis will not trade Manning, but with the quarterback's health still a question mark, the team could end up releasing him.

Saturday, who turns 37 in June, is set to become a free agent. He's protected Manning since entering the league in 1999.

Bringing in Manning would be a huge splash for a Redskins team that's received inconsistent quarterback play in recent years.

Manning has been named to 11 Pro Bowls in his career, and has earned MVP honors four times. Saturday has been selected to five Pro Bowls.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...likely/9352094

Extra Point
01-15-2012, 11:30 AM
I read this article viewing a positive change in KC Sports Journalism: Somebody called for Cassel losing his job.

The thing is... ergh. Maybe it's because I'm an angry person, but the truth isn't getting acknowledged here. I wish a writer would say something to the effect of "Matt Cassel sucks". What was written here is too nice. People have to know that no, Matt Cassel is NOT fine. He's terrible. He's the one thing that will prevent the team from winning a playoff game next year.

You're just not titillated enough, then? Mellinger brings up more questions than conclusions. That's his perceived job, as a Whitlock spinoff.

BoneKrusher
01-15-2012, 11:33 AM
If we draft a quarterback and re-sign Orton, I don't see how Cassel would even make the team next year.

Time to move on.
yep
the only reason he made the team the last three seasons is because there was no competition.

malachi47000
01-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Every year I hear someone say trade down. It doesn't always work that easily. There has to be someone in our range that another team wants that they believe another team will draft before them. I can't see who that player would be.

How about Richardson...Cleveland will most likely part ways with Hillis and would be looking for a stud RB. They also have the ammunition to trade up.

notorious
01-15-2012, 12:09 PM
They writers are starting to voice out.

Idiot fans out there might start to actually understand how bad we are at QB.

Okie_Apparition
01-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Was Jack Harry ever a personnel man

FringeNC
01-15-2012, 12:29 PM

That's what I was thinking -- essentially trade players and cap space along with the draft picks. And if I did it, I'd be willing to give up a lot more for Luck than RGIII.

DTLB58
01-15-2012, 12:49 PM

I'm intrigued because I think Luck is a sure thing and exactly what this team needs.

Explain how under this scenario you would fill the holes left by the 3 players and 2 draft picks to field this team next season?

ILChief
01-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Best thing about this article is that it gets some publicity for us needing a new QB outside of Internet message boards and talk radio. Unfortunately it will get buried by Babb's Pioli/KGB piece

milkman
01-15-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm intrigued because I think Luck is a sure thing and exactly what this team needs.

Explain how under this scenario you would fill the holes left by the 3 players and 2 draft picks to field this team next season?

First and foremost, with Andrew Luck, you've potentially opened a 15 year window, so filling those holes immediately is not essential to the long term success of this team

But I would not necessarily concern myself with filling the specific holes created by that trade.

I would attempt to sign Paul Solai, Leron Landry, and Chris Myers or Nick Hardwick in free agency.

I would look at the best player available at either ILB or RT in the second round of the draft (I've only given up the first and third), with the empahsis tilted toward ILB.

Allen Bailey takes over Dorsey's spot on the D-Line.
I'd looked for line, LB, and safety depth through the rest of the draft.

KCrockaholic
01-15-2012, 01:02 PM
...Wow. I actually wish Milkman was running the franchise on draft day. He would get a deal done. But no, we have this Cassel infatuated little pussy ass bitch of a GM that thinks we can win games with a pile of shit at QB.

-King-
01-15-2012, 01:15 PM
...Wow. I actually wish Milkman was running the franchise on draft day. He would get a deal done. But no, we have this Cassel infatuated little pussy ass bitch of a GM that thinks we can win games with a pile of shit at QB.

He does?
Posted via Mobile Device

NJChiefsFan
01-15-2012, 01:17 PM
"Griffin’s potential is real, but the Chiefs have too many other needs — starting with an offensive line that needs to get both younger and better — to do that."

For those that were asking, this is representative of the sentiment in KC. It's a warped mindset.

I was asking, and I am thrrriillled with the answer.

We could use both

Report: Peyton Manning, Jeff Saturday to Redskins 'Very Likely'

by Ricky Doyle on Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:04PM

The Colts reportedly plan to draft future franchise quarterback Andrew Luck with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. If that spells the end of Peyton Manning's tenure in Indianapolis, the veteran could end up in the nation's capital.

According to ESPN's Bram Weinstein, a source indicates that it's "very likely" that Manning and center Jeff Saturday will join the Redskins.

Manning inked a five-year, $90 million last offseason, but the Colts could elect to rebuild with Luck at the helm going forward. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported last week that Indianapolis will not trade Manning, but with the quarterback's health still a question mark, the team could end up releasing him.

Saturday, who turns 37 in June, is set to become a free agent. He's protected Manning since entering the league in 1999.

Bringing in Manning would be a huge splash for a Redskins team that's received inconsistent quarterback play in recent years.

Manning has been named to 11 Pro Bowls in his career, and has earned MVP honors four times. Saturday has been selected to five Pro Bowls.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...likely/9352094

I like how they say its likely and then site no reason why its likely. If Manning is a FA he isn't going to the Redskins. He is going to a team that can win. I am not saying he picks KC, I am saying he doesn't pick WAS.

KCrockaholic
01-15-2012, 01:20 PM
He does?
Posted via Mobile Device

That shouldn't be a question.

ForeverChiefs58
01-15-2012, 01:29 PM
I was asking, and I am thrrriillled with the answer.

I like how they say its likely and then site no reason why its likely. If Manning is a FA he isn't going to the Redskins. He is going to a team that can win. I am not saying he picks KC, I am saying he doesn't pick WAS.

No one really knows as obvious from the very next day this comes out too:

Report: 49ers, Seahawks & Cardinals Possible Trade Destinations for Manning

According to Jason LaCanfora of the NFL Network, general managers and people close to Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning don’t see him going to the Jets if he does end up leaving Indy in the offseason.

If Manning ends up being available via trade, the teams that GM’s around the NFL see as potential landing spots are the 49ers, Seahawks and the Cardinals.

We mentioned a report last night that linked Manning and Colts center Jeff Saturday to the Redskins if he ends up getting released.

If the Colts do end up moving on from Manning, he’ll have plenty of teams to choose from.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...anning/9343955

-King-
01-15-2012, 01:31 PM
That shouldn't be a question.

It really should. He admits he isn't married to him. From what we've seen the past few years, Pioli is as unpredictable as they come. I don't know why people think they can predict what hes going to do with any of his players. What makes you think hes married to Cassel?
Posted via Mobile Device

KCrockaholic
01-15-2012, 01:34 PM
It really should. He admits he isn't married to him. From what we've seen the past few years, Pioli is as unpredictable as they come. I don't know why people think they can predict what hes going to do with any of his players. What makes you think hes married to Cassel?
Posted via Mobile Device

Because Cassel had his opportunity. Every one with a brain can see that Cassel is not championship quality, yet we still keep him as our starter. He shouldn't even be on the team anymore. Pioli made a mistake. And he's afraid to admit he was wrong on this one.

O.city
01-15-2012, 01:39 PM
I'd start with this years and next years 1 and 3, go from there.

If I had to I'd trade the whole draft to get Luck if I had to. I'm also not really sure that Luck wants to go to Indy to sit behind Manning. I think papa Luck is gonna say no thanks, thus reducing the haul the Manninngs could get for that pick.

-King-
01-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Because Cassel had his opportunity. Every one with a brain can see that Cassel is not championship quality, yet we still keep him as our starter. He shouldn't even be on the team anymore. Pioli made a mistake. And he's afraid to admit he was wrong on this one.

Huh? After last season, not that many people had a problem with him being our starter. Im betting that you were one of them. You don't know whether pioli will retain him at starter or not.

And Pioli admitted his mistake on Haley who was his first move when he was named GM so why wouldn't he admit his mistake on Cassel?
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501
01-15-2012, 01:53 PM
I'd start with this years and next years 1 and 3, go from there.

If I had to I'd trade the whole draft to get Luck if I had to. I'm also not really sure that Luck wants to go to Indy to sit behind Manning. I think papa Luck is gonna say no thanks, thus reducing the haul the Manninngs could get for that pick.

If Cleveland, Washington, and Miami are in the mix (and I imagine they all will be), it's going to take a hell of a lot more than that.

For example, if we're competing with Cleveland, we'd basically have to match their offer AND trade up from 12 to 4. So if Cleveland offers next year's first plus an extra pick, which I imagine is table stakes, that means the Chiefs have to offer up two firsts, and either an additional first or a second round pick + an additional pick (that Cleveland would have offered).

Especially if Indy decides to go with Luck, which I believe they will, I think RGIII is going to be way too costly to trade up for.

whoman69
01-15-2012, 01:55 PM
No one really knows as obvious from the very next day this comes out too:

Report: 49ers, Seahawks & Cardinals Possible Trade Destinations for Manning

According to Jason LaCanfora of the NFL Network, general managers and people close to Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning don’t see him going to the Jets if he does end up leaving Indy in the offseason.

If Manning ends up being available via trade, the teams that GM’s around the NFL see as potential landing spots are the 49ers, Seahawks and the Cardinals.

We mentioned a report last night that linked Manning and Colts center Jeff Saturday to the Redskins if he ends up getting released.

If the Colts do end up moving on from Manning, he’ll have plenty of teams to choose from.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...anning/9343955

Any "expert" that talks about Manning being traded is an idiot. The Colts take a $30 million cap hit to trade him and have to pay the $28 million bonus themselves.

O.city
01-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Probably true zilla.

Gotta look at some other things tho. Matt Flynn is probably going to be a quarterback for one of those teams, Manning could be a quarterback for one of those teams.

Things could fall in a ton of different places.

JASONSAUTO
01-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Two first s a second and two fourths was suggested somewhere, same as atl. In the 20 s to 6th last year.

I would do that deal for either one
Posted via Mobile Device

whoman69
I love how the article states that its time to make a move to get a QB then states all the options are essentially closed, and that in any case Cassel will be still waiting there.

KCrockaholic
Huh? After last season, not that many people had a problem with him being our starter.[/i][/size]

Most people did. The smart fans knew Cassel wasn't the answer.

Im betting that you were one of them.

Absolutely not. Why would you make assumptions like that.

You don't know whether pioli will retain him at starter or not.

True. But at this point Cassel is his guy, and I've seen nothing to tell me otherwise.

And Pioli admitted his mistake on Haley who was his first move when he was named GM so why wouldn't he admit his mistake on Cassel?

Because he put 60 million dollars into Cassel, and Pioli doesn't have a personal problem with Cassel like he did with Haley.

ForeverChiefs58
01-15-2012, 02:07 PM
The Value of Andrew Luck

Peter King estimated in his most recent Monday Morning Quarterback column that the top spot in the 2012 NFL Draft could fetch at least three first-round picks, and possibly more. Adam Schefter at ESPN speculated on Luck's potential trade value prior to Week 16:

If somehow the Colts win a game and the Rams don't, then that pick, for the Rams franchise, would be worth, roughly worth, three (first-round picks) and two (second-rounders), maybe four first-round picks. And so there's a huge amount at stake if somehow the Colts -- who will continue to try to win games -- win another game, the Rams lose their two games and somehow come up with that pick.

For a franchise like the Rams or the Colts, that's a lucrative deal that could replenish a roster in need of more talent at almost every position, an instant franchise rebuild in one convenient package.

Which teams might be in the mix to trade up for Andrew Luck?

Cleveland Browns - It's funny to think about Cleveland again being involved in a significant draft day trade. This time, of course, they would be the ones moving up in the first round. Unlike the other teams who could use Luck, Cleveland has the ability to pay cash on the barrelhead with two first-round picks in 2012. Colt McCoy may very well be an acceptable solution, but Andrew Luck would finally put the Browns on the road to relevancy. They would still need some offensive players to go with Luck, but the free agent market might provide that.

Washington Redskins - Mike Shanahan sure misses John Elway, and this might be his chance to reunite with him in spirit. Washington is desperate and crazy enough to trade away the deed to their house for this pick. They also have a fairly talented roster which would help pay immediate dividends.

Miami Dolphins - Miami got a jump start on changes there by firing Tony Sparano before the end of the season. They need a quick turnaround. The Fins also have some talent on their roster to pair with Luck right away, including Reggie Bush and Brandon Marshall.

Seattle Seahawks - Pete Carroll's team gets thrown into the Andrew Luck conversation, and they could certainly use a quarterback. If the Rams ended up with the first pick, would they be willing to make a deal with a division rival? They might be more inclined to take a shot at Robert Griffin III, the Andrew Luck consolation prize.

Those four teams are the most obvious suitors, but don't rule out a surprise entrant. The Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and even the Denver Broncos could make the case for grabbing Luck.

The Super Bowl, free agency...it's all just a matinee to the 2012 NFL Draft and the Andrew Luck sweepstakes.

KCrockaholic
01-15-2012, 02:08 PM
I'd do it. Give them 3 1st. And call it a deal. Make sure our scouts dig deep in future years to find some talent.

ForeverChiefs58
01-15-2012, 02:14 PM
All you have to do is look at the Herschel Walker trade. The Cowboys traded Walker to the Minnesota Vikings for a total of five players (LB Jesse Solomon, DB Issiac Holt, RB Darrin Nelson, LB David Howard, DE Alex Stewart) and six draft picks (which led to Emmitt Smith, Russell Maryland, Kevin Smith, and Darren Woodson). The trade turned the Cowboys into a dynasty, and left the Vikings with a lot of regret.

ForeverChiefs58
01-15-2012, 02:17 PM
I could see the Broncos trying to trade Tebow (since his stock is so high right now) and draft picks. I would be so pissed if it was them

O.city
01-15-2012, 02:17 PM
IMO the draft is set up like this. For the most part, you get stars in the first round. Some in the second round if you are lucky.

The Chiefs right now, have stars. They need depth everywhere. Of course you can never have to many stars, but you tend to need a star at the quarterback position as that can cover alot of deficiencies.

KCrockaholic
01-15-2012, 02:18 PM
All you have to do is look at the Herschel Walker trade. The Cowboys traded Walker to the Minnesota Vikings for a total of five players (LB Jesse Solomon, DB Issiac Holt, RB Darrin Nelson, LB David Howard, DE Alex Stewart) and six draft picks (which led to Emmitt Smith, Russell Maryland, Kevin Smith, and Darren Woodson). The trade turned the Cowboys into a dynasty, and left the Vikings with a lot of regret.

Franchise QB>Great RB

And it's not even close.

O.city
01-15-2012, 02:19 PM

This is a little different situation.

I'd argue that Luck would be worth more to the Chiefs franchiese than those picks added together.

He could make the Chiefs relevant in the power changing AFC for 15 years.

Direckshun
01-15-2012, 02:22 PM
I was on the Peyton Manning bandwagon, and still am. It's not going to happen, but I'll say this aside from it:

Now is NOT the time for the Chiefs to make a bold QB move (excepting Manning).

2013 has a ton of great potential franchise QBs coming out. None of them are in Luck's range but the sheer number of them allows for this team to get a QB with better value than competing with eight other teams for, really, only two or three options.

The reason I except a healthy Manning is because he's truly a gamechanger.

O.city
01-15-2012, 02:24 PM
I'd love to have Manning. But something about drafting a developing our own Manning makes me excited.

For once I want the Chiefs to be trend setters and be considered serious.

And about 2013 qb class, the same thing was said this time last eyar and this years class.

ForeverChiefs58
01-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Franchise QB>Great RB

And it's not even close.

I agree with that, but 3 or 4 1st rd picks seems like an awfull lot to give up.

For all anyone knows, and with our luck, in a couple years the next Joe Montana could come out.

bowener
01-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Will the Chiefs have a better chance at trading into the 2nd spot than other teams since they can trade Bowe to the Rams? One of the multiple firsts that teams trade to the Rams will get used on the best WR available when they pick anyway.

Bowe with a legit QB and a strong running game would be pretty fucking scary.

Would the Chiefs have to give up something like: Bowe, 2012 1st, 2013 1st, 2012 2nd?
Essentially 3 first round picks and a high 2nd round pick.

BossChief
01-15-2012, 02:29 PM
The rule with Ricky Williams and Hershal Walker trades is never give up everything for a complimentary player.

Either of those trades would have been good if they had landed a franchise quarterback.

BossChief
The rule with Ricky Williams and Hershal Walker trades is never give up everything for a complimentary player.

Either of those trades would have been good if they had landed a franchise quarterback.

dallaschiefsfan

Everyone seems to assume this is the case. While I don't have enough insider info to say this with any confidence for each franchise listed above, I don't believe for a second each front office with these teams will all of a sudden decide that they HAVE to have a QB in the first round and trade the farm to get it. MANY GM's have the same mentality as Carl/Pioli. We should not play down the capacity of most teams to under-value the QB position like us. After all, there's a reason each of those teams suck. We wouldn't necessarily be bidding against more than one other team, I'm guessing...unless everyone has an epiphany at the same time.

I say all this and firmly believe that we won't trade the farm for a franchise QB either...so it's all moot to me. The Rams will get Blackmon at 2 and we'll see what happens from there.

ForeverChiefs58
01-15-2012, 02:30 PM
I would rather our team do their homework and find a good QB in the draft like the Bengles were able to do without giving away our future.

I would also hope our GM would be way more savy and experienced than the Bungles.

O.city
01-15-2012, 02:30 PM
I realize that franchise qbs are worth more than basically any other player on the team. But for fuck sake, the Chiefs are a franchise quarterback away from being contenders with the team they have on the field right now.

Trade the whole damn draft if you have to. Trade 3 firsts and 3 2nds if you have to.

-King-
01-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Most people did. The smart fans knew Cassel wasn't the answer.

Absolutely not. Why would you make assumptions like that.

Because you made posts like:

If you watched him play at all you would know Cassel was a different player towards the second half. Saying the O-line did doesn't work. Multiple times the pocket collapsed and Cassel escaped, improvising.
Because Weis is replaceable. He's good. But he's not an elite OC. The best thing about Weis is that he helped mold Cassel.
I would agree. That also means Cassel will have to be the great QB he's shown that he can be on a consistent basis.
Me. I said 9-7, and barely miss the playoffs....

I fucking love Todd Haley and Scott Pioli....And....Eric Berry, Jamaal Charles, Matt Cassel, Derrick Johnson, Dustin Colquitt...

And many more.

True. But at this point Cassel is his guy, and I've seen nothing to tell me otherwise.

Because he put 60 million dollars into Cassel, and Pioli doesn't have a personal problem with Cassel like he did with Haley.

And you know this how? We never knew that Pioli and Haley had personal problems until he was fired.

ForeverChiefs58
01-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Like everyone else though, 20 years is too long for a playoff win, and 40 years is too long for a SB win, so do whatever to make it happen! Whatever you have to do to get it done, be like Nike, and just do it!

Rausch
01-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Will the Chiefs have a better chance at trading into the 2nd spot than other teams since they can trade Bowe to the Rams?

We trade Bowe to the Lambs for RGIII and I'll find out where you live and kill you in your sleep...

Okie_Apparition
01-15-2012, 02:32 PM
If Pioli suggests trading 3 1st
he should be fired on the spot

-King-
01-15-2012, 02:34 PM

This.

O.city
01-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Essentially you are trading 2 firsts, because you get one for the Luck pick.

Look at are last say 5 first round picks. Any of them more valuable to the Chiefs than what Peyton Manning was or is to the Colts.

donkhater
01-15-2012, 02:36 PM
I was on the Peyton Manning bandwagon, and still am. It's not going to happen, but I'll say this aside from it:

Now is NOT the time for the Chiefs to make a bold QB move (excepting Manning).

2013 has a ton of great potential franchise QBs coming out. None of them are in Luck's range but the sheer number of them allows for this team to get a QB with better value than competing with eight other teams for, really, only two or three options.

The reason I except a healthy Manning is because he's truly a gamechanger.

And what's the probability of KC being in position to grab one of them? I don't think Cassel is great, but this team is likely good enou to finish anywhere between 6-10 and 10-6 with him.

If Luck is truly can't miss, then 3 first rounders is a steal. Year 4 he is in his prime, and our picks are restored. He is a top tier QB for a decade after that.

That, of course is discounting the fact that you can't find good talent in later rounds or free agency, which you can. Besides, you're assuming that Pioli will hit on Pro Bowlers with the first rounders he trades. He could just as easily turn them into Tyson Jackson's.

3 #1's and some more for Luck? Pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

BossChief
01-15-2012, 02:37 PM

For RG3? Probably.

For Luck?

I'd stand and applaud.

donkhater

Thank god you don't run the Chiefs. It would be another 40 years until we sniff a Super Bowl.

whoman69

The league was a running back league when the Walker trade was made and only slightly less so when Williams came out. Neither one worked for the team that got the player, but it won a Super Bowl for the Cowboys getting all those picks.

Okie_Apparition
01-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Pioli's contract only covers 2012 & 2013 drafts
work with that & players or not at all

whoman69
01-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Thank god you don't run the Chiefs. It would be another 40 years until we sniff a Super Bowl.

Thank god you don't or we'd never be there. Trading 3 first round picks is giving away 3 starters on your team. To get starters you then have to go FA route, which these days is a market that seems to be drying up.

bowener
01-15-2012, 02:41 PM
We trade Bowe to the Lambs for RGIII and I'll find out where you live and kill you in your sleep...

Wait... Why?

I love Bowe, as my name sort of indicates, but a franchize QB would be pretty fucking awesome to have. More so than an awesome WR.

milkman
The league was a running back league when the Walker trade was made and only slightly less so when Williams came out. Neither one worked for the team that got the player, but it won a Super Bowl for the Cowboys getting all those picks.

And teams with the Staubachs, Bradshaws, Montanas and Aikmans, before and after those trades were the teams winning SBs.

RBs were more valued then than now, but this has never been a RB league.

Buckweath
I realize that franchise qbs are worth more than basically any other player on the team. But for **** sake, the Chiefs are a franchise quarterback away from being contenders with the team they have on the field right now.

Trade the whole damn draft if you have to. Trade 3 firsts and 3 2nds if you have to.

It`s also my opinion that if this team had a franchise QB, with the return of Berry, Charles and Moeaki, the Chiefs would be contending as soon as next year and even if Richardson and Lilja were still starting.

Forget about 2013, it`s really now or never and yeah, trade what`s absolutely necessary for Luck or Griffin.

I would give A LOT to get Luck or Griffin.

More Chiefs fans should forget about the few exceptions in history where an average QB has won a superbowl with an elite defense and running game and realize, the very starting point to have a chance to win it all is to have an above-average QB.

donkhater
The Patriot way: draft Brady and enjoy the ride.

The Bill Polian way: draft Jim Kelly and Peyton Manning and enjoy the ride.

The Steeler way: draft Big Ben and enjoy the ride.

The Packer way: draft Favre and Rodgers and enjoy the ride.

The Bronco way: draft Elway and enjoy the ride.

The 49er way: draft Montana, trade for Yonug and enjoy the ride.

Get the picture?

donkhater
01-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Thank god you don't or we'd never be there. Trading 3 first round picks is giving away 3 starters on your team. To get starters you then have to go FA route, which these days is a market that seems to be drying up.

So using that logic, the Colts should absolutely grab the 3 first rounders and pass on Luck? Don't you think what they went through this year flies in the face of that logic?

O.city
01-15-2012, 02:47 PM
I'll ask this name the teams that have been SB contenders for the past say 5 years. Name their qbs.

Messier
01-15-2012, 02:51 PM
I'll ask this name the teams that have been SB contenders for the past say 5 years. Name their qbs.

SB contenders? or teams in the SB.

O.city
01-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Contenders year in year out.

Patriots = Brady
Colts= Manning
Steelers= Big Ben
Saints= Brees
Pack= A. Rog
Giants= Manning

The only team that is year in year out contender that doesn't have a franchise guy is the Ravens. And they have always been that much short of it.

JASONSAUTO
01-15-2012, 02:56 PM

Get the picture? farve was drafted by atlanta
Posted via Mobile Device

Pioli Zombie
01-15-2012, 02:57 PM
The Chiefs should trade for Drew Brees. They could offer Cassel and something. Yeah.

Messier
I'm all for trading draft picks, but not for other draft picks. I want to trade for known commodities. I'd trade a 1st for Manning in a heart beat, even if he could only give us 2-3 years of 80% his old self, ala Montana.

BigChiefFan

Get the picture?Don't forget the Cowboys way:draft Aikman and enjoy the ride.

donkhater
farve was drafted by atlanta
Posted via Mobile Device

OK

whoman69
01-15-2012, 03:00 PM
And teams with the Staubachs, Bradshaws, Montanas and Aikmans, before and after those trades were the teams winning SBs.

RBs were more valued then than now, but this has never been a RB league.

Which one of those teams traded multiple first round draft picks to get them? Apples and oranges.

donkhater
01-15-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm all for trading draft picks, but not for other draft picks. I want to trade for known commodities. I'd trade a 1st for Manning in a heart beat, even if he could only give us 2-3 years of 80% his old self, ala Montana.

KC hasn't started a rookie QB in what, 30 years? One AFC championship game during that time ( with a HOF QB BTW). Its time to change the thinking around One Arrowhead Drive and take some risks.

O.city
01-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Which one of those teams traded multiple first round draft picks to get them? Apples and oranges.

None they all got to the point where they sucked bad enough to get a top pick.

donkhater
01-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Not entirely. More like Johnny gold and Macintosh.

whoman69
01-15-2012, 03:02 PM
So using that logic, the Colts should absolutely grab the 3 first rounders and pass on Luck? Don't you think what they went through this year flies in the face of that logic?

Not if they believe that Luck is the guy. I would challenge anyone to find an instance of a team trading multiple firsts for one player and having it work out.

milkman
01-15-2012, 03:04 PM

You are putting a false label on the league based on the actions of two dumbass franchises.

O.city
01-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Not if they believe that Luck is the guy. I would challenge anyone to find an instance of a team trading multiple firsts for one player and having it work out.

I would challenge you to find me a team that wins SB's these days with the Matt Cassels of the league.

It's time for the Chiefs to get serious and go get a franchise quarterback. We have went hte other route for 40 years. We know that doesn't work.

donkhater

We'll it hasnt happened a lot for a QB because teams at the top of the draft usually need a QB and won't trade. (which supports my argument).

dallaschiefsfan

Why, exactly?? RG3 is more valuable than Bowe. Plus we have Baldwin and Breaston signed...so I'm not sure why we have to have an all-world receiving group (which we don't, anyway) with no QB.

I would gladly package Bowe with picks to get RG3.

GloryDayz
01-15-2012, 03:06 PM
This team doesn't evaluate talent well, or if they do they won't pay for it. So until Hunt gets the F out of town we're doomed!

Messier
01-15-2012, 03:08 PM
KC hasn't started a rookie QB in what, 30 years? One AFC championship game during that time ( with a HOF QB BTW). Its time to change the thinking around One Arrowhead Drive and take some risks.

Right, but I don't want a rookie just to have a rookie.

I think if a no brainer fell in the Chiefs lap, like RG3 was there at their pick (he won't be) they'd take him, but there's no sure thing in the draft, not even Luck. I know you're saying you want to take that risk and I would too, but if we're gonna start trading 1st round picks, I'd rather know what I'm getting.

whoman69
01-15-2012, 03:09 PM
None they all got to the point where they sucked bad enough to get a top pick.

Sorry Montana was a 3rd round pick. Brady was a 6th. Bradshaw and Aikmen were on teams with multiple years of great drafts following their joining the team. Those teams mentioned had a lot of help around them. You don't get that by trading all your draft picks away. Dan Marino and Dan Fouts are both franchise QBs that don't have a ring because there wasn't enough talent around them. Ask Archie Manning how that talent around you thing works out. Its one of the reasons he didn't want Eli to go to San Diego.

Messier
01-15-2012, 03:09 PM
This team doesn't evaluate talent well, or if they do they won't pay for it. So until Hunt gets the F out of town we're doomed!

I guess we're all doomed, because Hunt's not going anywhere.

BossChief
01-15-2012, 03:10 PM

Eli Manning

donkhater
01-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Right, but I don't want a rookie just to have a rookie.

I think if a no brainer fell in the Chiefs lap, like RG3 was there at their pick (he won't be) they'd take him, but there's no sure thing in the draft, not even Luck. I know you're saying you want to take that risk and I would too, but if we're gonna start trading 1st round picks, I'd rather know what I'm getting.

It's a risk. I just think its time to take one. Clearly the model this franchise has been using for decades isn't working. No?

Caseyguyrr
01-15-2012, 03:12 PM
we can quit dreaming any time now, were stuck with casshole for at least another long year

Dayze
01-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Cassel as a starter next yr equals my Sundays freed up. I won't watch this team as long as he's the starter. I'll be on NCAA full time.

O.city
01-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Sorry Montana was a 3rd round pick. Brady was a 6th. Bradshaw and Aikmen were on teams with multiple years of great drafts following their joining the team. Those teams mentioned had a lot of help around them. You don't get that by trading all your draft picks away. Dan Marino and Dan Fouts are both franchise QBs that don't have a ring because there wasn't enough talent around them. Ask Archie Manning how that talent around you thing works out. Its one of the reasons he didn't want Eli to go to San Diego.

Jesus christ.

First off Aikman won 1 game as a rookie. Lotta talent there.

Bradshaw won SBs by having a great defense.

Brady is the exception, not the rule.

But keep digging for those prized Super Bowl winning quarterbacks in the 3 or 4th round. It surely will happen soon.

The Chiefs have the talent right now. If the three guys who missed thw whole year come back healthy next year, skill position wise the CHiefs are on par with any contender in the league. Save for one spot.

donkhater
01-15-2012, 03:15 PM

You have to adjust for different eras. With the rule changes that have happened over the last 10 years, the QB is THE dominant position on the field. You almost never win without good QB play anymore.

BigChiefFan
01-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Eli Manning

Yep. I can't believe how many are against getting a franchise QB.

Good Lord, people, we gave up a 1st rounder for Elvis Grbac. We gave up a first rounder for Trent Green.

We're talking a few picks for the best QB prospect in a decade.

whoman69
01-15-2012, 03:17 PM
We'll it hasnt happened a lot for a QB because teams at the top of the draft usually need a QB and won't trade. (which supports my argument).

Circular argument and self-fulfilling.

donkhater
01-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Circular argument and self-fulfilling.

Yet true.

donkhater
01-15-2012, 03:21 PM

Good Lord, people, we gave up a 1st rounder for Elvis Grbac. We gave up a first rounder for Trent Green.

Gave up a first for Green in the same draft Brees went in the second round. :deevee:

O.city
I understand what you are saying whoman. I just think Luck would be more important and valuable to the franchise than the picks they would give up.

If you give up those picks, in 2 or 3 years when Luck is in the prime ready to go, you can add those picks.

-King-
I think everybody realizes the importance of a franchise QB, but trading 3 firsts can really cripple your team.

Okie_Apparition
01-15-2012, 03:22 PM
How is Philip working for ya

O.city
01-15-2012, 03:23 PM
I think everybody realizes the importance of a franchise QB, but trading 3 firsts can really cripple your team.

As can having all the talent we have accumulated being wasted, while having a shitty quarterback.

If Luck says he won't play for Indy, I'd do what I had to and get him.

THe Chiefs could still have 2nd round picks this year and 4-7 to add depth and talent.

donkhater
01-15-2012, 03:24 PM

Not as much as not having an adequate QB. Not even close.

Messier
01-15-2012, 03:25 PM

I think Grbac was a FA.

ChiefsCountry
01-15-2012, 03:27 PM

Grbac was a free agent signing.

Messier
01-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Gave up a first for Green in the same draft Brees went in the second round. :deevee:

I don't bemoan that trade. It was a good move. The only draft I think about what if, is the 1983 draft. We should have taken Kelly or Marino.

Okie_Apparition
01-15-2012, 03:30 PM
The Chargers couldn't make it work with Rivers & a loaded team
but if the Chiefs trade 3 1st it's in the bag
Smed makes more sense

whoman69
01-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Eli Manning

Nope, Eli was traded for Rivers, a 2004 3rd, 2005 1st and 5th.

O.city
01-15-2012, 03:32 PM
The Chargers couldn't make it work with Rivers & a loaded team
but if the Chiefs trade 3 1st it's in the bag
Smed makes more sense

What does that have to do with the Chiefs giving up picks?

Because the Chargers were terribly coached, the Chiefs shouldn't make a move to get the best qb to come out of college since Manning?

Pioli Zombie
01-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Qb isn't an important position. Buildup everywhere else and just bring in any old qb.

-King-
01-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Not as much as not having an adequate QB. Not even close.

Never said we have to stick with an inadequate QB. There's a difference between trading reasonable picks for a player and trading three fucking first round picks for him.

whoman69
01-15-2012, 03:33 PM
How'd that can't miss Jeff George Trade work out?

Okie_Apparition
01-15-2012, 03:35 PM
I read on this site day in & day out how the Chiefs don't know their ass from a hole in the ground
But giving up 3 1st make them all the sudden geniouses

Red Beans
01-15-2012, 03:37 PM
I read on this site day in & day out how the Chiefs don't know their ass from a hole in the ground

*sigh*

Coogs
01-15-2012, 03:44 PM

Let's see...

4-12
2-14
4-12
10=6 (very weak schedule)
7-9

27-53 over the past 5 seasons and you are worried about crippling the team?

donkhater
01-15-2012, 03:45 PM

Did I miss something? Pioli pulled the trigger?

I have absolutely no doubt KC will not go after Luck. Which is why the Chiefs don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

donkhater
01-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Let's see...

4-12
2-14
4-12
10=6 (very weak schedule)
7-9

27-53 over the past 5 seasons and you are worried about crippling the team?

But without those first round picks we'd be really bad. [/ sarcasm]

O.city
01-15-2012, 03:46 PM
I agree with you guys.

Lets draft a C with our first this year or a rb. Then we can get an ILB next year in the first and a Corner the year after. Then we will be set to go.

Okie_Apparition
01-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Arguing something you believe you have no way of being proven wrong about
brilliant

Messier
01-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Did I miss something? Pioli pulled the trigger?

I have absolutely no doubt KC will not go after Luck. Which is why the Chiefs don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

I think the Colts want Luck.

O.city
01-15-2012, 03:52 PM

I'm not so sure the Lucks want the Colts.

donkhater
01-15-2012, 03:54 PM

I do too, but I live out here in Indy and Irsay is fiercely loyal to Manning. If Manning wants to continue playing for 3 more years, Irsay may be open to acquiring picks to give Manning ammo for another SB run.

Easy 6
01-15-2012, 04:06 PM
something about drafting a developing our own Manning makes me excited.

THIS.

I dont want a two year starter, i want a thirteen year starter... someone who earned his stripes here, came up here... not an 'instant leader, just add water' guy.

Its LOOONG overdue, all the way back to the very begining overdue.

Okie_Apparition
01-15-2012, 04:09 PM
When is KC EVER going to grow their own HC & not go after a retread
We'll be patient, honest injun

O.city
01-15-2012, 04:09 PM
If we were to draft say Luck, he could come here and be the face of the franchise, king of KC.

KC loves its Chiefs. Even with the shitty ass qbs we have had, they love them no matter what.

donkhater
01-15-2012, 04:25 PM
THIS.

I dont want a two year starter, i want a thirteen year starter... someone who earned his stripes here, came up here... not an 'instant leader, just add water' guy.

Its LOOONG overdue, all the way back to the very begining overdue.

Isn't that it? The NFL is entertainment. If your own damn fans aren't excited about your team, what's the point? Drafting and following a top flight QB is something this fan base has been deprived of for 30 years. It would be nice to get excited about the Chiefs again.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-15-2012, 04:27 PM
This team with a young, high-level QB = Dynasty.

Easy 6
01-15-2012, 04:37 PM
It would be nice to get excited about the Chiefs again.

Yep, just look at how Stafford has affected not only that team, but the entire city.

Fix that one position here & the town would be Lady GaGa.

Pioli would go from Pariah to Pope.

BigChiefFan
01-15-2012, 05:07 PM
I think Grbac was a FA.

Yeah-my bad. The 'ol memory "ain't" what it used to be. I did a half-assed search and Grbac and 49ers set with two first rounders came up in the search.

O.city
01-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Here is whats gonna happen.

The Phins will pick up Orton in free agency. The Skins pick up Manning in free agency. Matt Flynn goes to the Browns in free agency.

We win the cointoss with the Seahawks getting the 11 pick.

RGIII falls all the way down the board to us at 11, with all the other teams having their qb.

Messier
01-15-2012, 05:28 PM

The Phins will pick up Orton in free agency. The Skins pick up Manning in free agency. Matt Flynn goes to the Browns in free agency.

RGIII falls all the way down the board to us at 11, with all the other teams having their qb.

Here's what I think happens. Orton goes to either Miami or Sea. Wash trades up past Clev to take RG3. Manning stays with the Colts. The browns either get Flynn or stay with their crappy QB. We stay with our crappy QB. Coin toss winner doesn't matter and we take the BPA.

whoman69
01-15-2012, 05:30 PM

If some of the other teams make a move before the draft, that will make the price of moving up that much less.

O.city
01-15-2012, 05:38 PM
I think some of that stuff will happen, qb wise.

I think Manning and probably Orton will be in place before the draft.

If i were a Gm I'd do stuff like that before the draft, to know where I need to look at going.

O.city
01-15-2012, 05:48 PM
To agree with the OP, now is the time to make a bold move at qb.

The talent is there.

SNR
01-15-2012, 06:07 PM
I want to take a ride in a time machine for a second:

September 30, 2011:

-"SUCK FOR LUCK!!!"
-"Dude, moron. You never root against your team. If the Chiefs need to draft a QB, they can trade up for one."

Now let's go back to the present:

What do we hear? People want to pay far out the ass to get Luck or RGIII.

What do the "you can trade up to get a QB" people say?

"Too expensive."

:facepalm:

OnTheWarpath58
01-15-2012, 06:08 PM

September 30, 2011:

-"SUCK FOR LUCK!!!"
-"Dude, moron. You never root against your team. If the Chiefs need to draft a QB, they can trade up for one."

"Too expensive."

Rep.

Messier
01-15-2012, 06:11 PM

September 30, 2011:

-"SUCK FOR LUCK!!!"

"Too expensive."

Yeah, I'll still never root for them to lose. Luck or no Luck. I almost did it in the Colts game, and I felt unclean.

O.city
01-15-2012, 06:15 PM
The Chiefs, at this point have too much talent to get a high enough pick in the next few years to get a quarterback, unless he falls to us.

Everybody cross your fingers that something crazy happens this year and RGIII falls to us at 11.

With the Chiefs luck tho, they will lose the coinflip to the Seahawks and RGIII will fall to 11 and get picked by them

SNR
01-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I'll still never root for them to lose. Luck or no Luck. I almost did it in the Colts game, and I felt unclean.I'd rather feel unclean than feel hopeless

Messier
01-15-2012, 06:16 PM
The Chiefs, at this point have too much talent to get a high enough pick in the next few years to get a quarterback, unless he falls to us.

Everybody cross your fingers that something crazy happens this year and RGIII falls to us at 11.

With the Chiefs luck tho, they will lose the coinflip to the Seahawks and RGIII will fall to 11 and get picked by them

RG3 is not getting past #5.

O.city
01-15-2012, 06:18 PM
RG3 is not getting past #5.

I don't think he will but crazier shit has happened.

Something has to fall right for the Chiefs for once.

NJChiefsFan
01-15-2012, 06:41 PM

I think we already did lose the coin toss didn't we?

milkman
01-15-2012, 06:43 PM
I think we already did lose the coin toss didn't we?

Coin toss takes place at the combines.

SNR
01-15-2012, 07:15 PM
If you think about it, it wasn't that long ago when the Steelers had a perfectly Martyocre team who lacked direction and toughness in the playoffs. They had their defense built, still sucked on offense, and Bettis was getting towards the end of the line. Some 7-9 seasons started to creep in, and they were pretty much stuck as a franchise.

What happened? They lucked into a godsend. They got lucky during one of those 7-9 seasons and a franchise QB fell to them. There's no way somebody like that should have fallen, but he did, and now look.

The Chiefs are in that very same trap right now. It looks like they've got two pipedream prayers:

#1- Ricky Stanzi is Brady

#2- Scott Pioli all of a sudden becomes not a fucking idiot, a QB like Tannehill improves his draft stock immensely, we roll the dice and draft him, and he turns into another Roethlisberger.

Let the hope begin.

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-15-2012, 07:23 PM
You have to admit bringing back Cassel as starter will be a pretty bold move for a GM who pretends to care about every little thing being just right. What he obviously means is every little thing except the most important position on the actual football team.

Bold. Very, very bold.

O.city
01-15-2012, 07:26 PM
If you think about it, it wasn't that long ago when the Steelers had a perfectly Martyocre team who lacked direction and toughness in the playoffs. They had their defense built, still sucked on offense, and Bettis was getting towards the end of the line. Some 7-9 seasons started to creep in, and they were pretty much stuck as a franchise.

What happened? They lucked into a godsend. They got lucky during one of those 7-9 seasons and a franchise QB fell to them. There's no way somebody like that should have fallen, but he did, and now look.

The Chiefs are in that very same trap right now. It looks like they've got two pipedream prayers:

#1- Ricky Stanzi is Brady

#2- Scott Pioli all of a sudden becomes not a ****ing idiot, a QB like Tannehill improves his draft stock immensely, we roll the dice and draft him, and he turns into another Roethlisberger.

Let the hope begin.

This.

Or by some grace of Tebow, all the teams above us needing a qb sign free agents or decide to keep the guys they have and RGIII falls into our laps.

SNR
01-15-2012, 07:28 PM
You have to admit bringing back Cassel as starter will be a pretty bold move for a GM who pretends to care about every little thing being just right. What he obviously means is every little thing except the most important position on the actual football team.

Bold. Very, very bold.I would say he watched Alex Smith this season and imagines all the fancy shit he'll be able to do with Matt Cassel if he gets with the right coach, but that would be giving Pioli too much credit. That would be implying that Pioli thinks there's something wrong with Cassel, and that he needs to be fixed.

I'd be willing to bet that Pioli thinks Cassel's diarrhea smells like spring flowers in bloom after a refreshing rain shower.

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-15-2012, 07:31 PM
I would say he watched Alex Smith this season and imagines all the fancy shit he'll be able to do with Matt Cassel if he gets with the right coach, but that would be giving Pioli too much credit. That would be implying that Pioli thinks there's something wrong with Cassel, and that he needs to be fixed.

I'd be willing to bet that Pioli thinks Cassel's diarrhea smells like spring flowers in bloom after a refreshing rain shower.

I tend to agree with you there. Other than his ego I can't think of any actual reason why Pioli does Pioli things.

O.city
01-15-2012, 07:32 PM
I don't get the Cassel thing. Anyway, there is good news.

In 2 years when we have defensive carried 8 and 8 seasons after continually putting weapons aroudn Matt Cassel we can start all over again.

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-15-2012, 07:33 PM
I don't get the Cassel thing. Anyway, there is good news.

In 2 years when we have defensive carried 8 and 8 seasons after continually putting weapons aroudn Matt Cassel we can start all over again.

And sadly starting all over again is what Chiefs fans consider good news much of the time.

O.city
01-15-2012, 07:42 PM
I think part of me wants them to trade up to get Luck just becasuse of what it will say to the rest of the league.

"We are serious about this and wanna win, we are doing whatever it takes to get hte best players."

The other part of me thinks Luck will be better than Manning was/is. The dude does stuff at the collegiate level that half NFL qbs can't even do.

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-15-2012, 08:03 PM
I think part of me wants them to trade up to get Luck just becasuse of what it will say to the rest of the league.

"We are serious about this and wanna win, we are doing whatever it takes to get hte best players."

The other part of me thinks Luck will be better than Manning was/is. The dude does stuff at the collegiate level that half NFL qbs can't even do.

So one part of you wants Luck and the other part thinks he's really good... how about the 3rd part?

;)

O.city
01-15-2012, 08:06 PM
There are alot of parts in there, so who knows.

I think that if we could give up picks and keep enough to get solid depth and get Luck, we could be SB contenders in 2 years.

I don't really see any other situation that presents itself that could get us there that fast.

Estron
01-15-2012, 08:12 PM

That's very easy to say when they aren't yours to give up and no one in the Chiefs organization values your opinion on the matter.

Estron
01-15-2012, 08:15 PM
When is KC EVER going to grow their own HC & not go after a retread
We'll be patient, honest injun

Who is included in this "we"? You know that after the first year, there will be people on ChiefsPlanet saying "not the right guy, fire the s.o.b.!"

Bewbies
01-15-2012, 08:19 PM
The Giants gave up Philip Rivers, Nate Kaeding, Roidman, and Roman Oben. They got Eli Manning. The Chargers got 4 pro-bowlers, the Giants got a Super Bowl win, and look like they could get another this year....

There isn't a person in NY that doesn't make that trade again. Bold moves win Super Bowls.

O.city
01-15-2012, 08:22 PM
In the last ten years the Chargers have drafted

Rivers
Manning
Brees

Think Spanos knows something we don't?

SDChiefs
01-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Giants drafted rivers.

Okie_Apparition
01-15-2012, 08:38 PM
I bet it said NOW IS TIME FOR CHIEFS TO MAKE A BALD MOVE AT QB
& nobody caught it until a Chief's official called in

milkman
01-15-2012, 08:40 PM
In the last ten years the Chargers have drafted

Rivers
Manning
Brees

Think Spanos knows something we don't?

And has retained AJ Smith and Norv Turner.

My guess.

He's an idiot savant.

O.city
01-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Sorry, Rivers was drafted by the Giants.

I'm off a little.

And I meant AJ Smith, not Spanos.

KCChiefsFan88
01-15-2012, 09:02 PM
The Giants gave up Philip Rivers, Nate Kaeding, Roidman, and Roman Oben. They got Eli Manning. The Chargers got 4 pro-bowlers, the Giants got a Super Bowl win, and look like they could get another this year....

There isn't a person in NY that doesn't make that trade again. Bold moves win Super Bowls.

Agreed.

The constraints of mediocrity are preventing people on this board from even considering the possibility of the Chiefs trading up to draft RGIII.

O.city
01-15-2012, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't mind getting RGIII, but I'd love to have Luck.

I think this roster is ready for a run and Luck could be ready in 2 years.

evolve27
01-15-2012, 09:10 PM

Id go fuggin bezerk if we were to get Luck. I'd give future first round picks and more for him to be a Chief. Polio will eradicate the Chiefs before he pulls off a bold move like that though.

NJChiefsFan
01-15-2012, 09:57 PM
This.

Or by some grace of God's anointed NFL disciple, all the teams above us needing a qb sign free agents or decide to keep the guys they have and RGIII falls into our laps.

The issue I see with this is that I still don't think he makes it us. For example, say KC was sitting at the Browns spot. The Chiefs have cut Cassel and signed Orton. Do you still draft RG3. I do, and thats why I think other teams getting a vet QB does not take them out of the RG3 race.

Bewbies
01-15-2012, 10:24 PM

Luck is more of a Pioli pick. Higher floor, lower ceiling. I don't think he even gets to have a discussion about drafting Luck though. I don't see Indy moving off that pick for anything other than STL wanting to trade up to take RG3. (which of course isn't happening)

tredadda
01-15-2012, 10:25 PM

Well in the last three years we kept our 1sts and got TJ, Berry, and Baldwin. We still finished 7-9 this year. Why? Because our QB play was absolutely atrocious. 1st round picks are too overvalued. It is assumed every 1st rounder will succeed. That is just not the case. I have no problems giving up three first rounders for Luck. One franchise QB is worth more to a team than three "potential" 1st round players. Besides there is still rounds 2-7 for the next two years to draft talent (as the first year would essentially be swapping of firsts).

tredadda
01-15-2012, 10:29 PM

^ This. This is our best chance to trade up for a stud QB for the foreseeable future.

NJChiefsFan
01-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Well in the last three years we kept our 1sts and got TJ, Berry, and Baldwin. We still finished 7-9 this year. Why? Because our QB play was absolutely atrocious. 1st round picks are too overvalued. It is assumed every 1st rounder will succeed. That is just not the case. I have no problems giving up three first rounders for Luck. One franchise QB is worth more to a team than three "potential" 1st round players. Besides there is still rounds 2-7 for the next two years to draft talent (as the first year would essentially be swapping of firsts).

I agree. That being said, its unfair to say our team ended up 7-9 despite our top picks when Berry was out all season and Baldwin hasn't had any time to develop.

Like you said, if you take our past picks and figure we get similiar value the next two years drafts, would you trade it for Luck or RG3. I certainly would.

Bewbies
01-15-2012, 10:30 PM
The issue I see with this is that I still don't think he makes it us. For example, say KC was sitting at the Browns spot. The Chiefs have cut Cassel and signed Orton. Do you still draft RG3. I do, and thats why I think other teams getting a vet QB does not take them out of the RG3 race.

Flynn or Manning are the only QB's that fit that I would think. I tend to agree with folks that think Cleveland goes after Flynn. Totally Holmgren's MO.

NJChiefsFan
01-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Flynn or Manning are the only QB's that fit that I would think. I tend to agree with folks that think Cleveland goes after Flynn. Totally Holmgren's MO.

The wildcard will be how many GB coaches go to how many teams and if they make an arguement to get him.

Okie_Apparition
01-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Stanzi needs more meat on his bones
but if that corn fed Iowia titty can't do the job
things aren't looking good