PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Clash of the Sitcoms: Round 1, Heat 6.

Rain Man
01-15-2012, 04:59 PM
This one's going to cause some good discussion, I think.

DeezNutz
01-15-2012, 05:00 PM
I always preferred blank to blank. But that's just me.

Rain Man
01-15-2012, 05:07 PM
My thoughts:

#1 - WKRP in Cincinnati. Les Nessman, Johnny Fever, Bucky the union guy. Take away the episode about the Who concert and this one could win it all.

#2 - Will & Grace. I wish they would've made 20% fewer gay jokes, but this show had some hysterical moments. Karen Walker is one of the two funniest female sitcom characters in television history.

#3 - Murphy Brown. Eldon the painter living in the house, firing the secretaries every week, and other ongoing gags worked well with some good central characters. Strong show.

Didn't make the cut.

Freaks and Geeks. I've only seen one episode of this and really liked it. I'm not quite sure it was a sitcom based on the little I saw, but maybe it was. Good show, but I'm not familiar enough with it to vote for it. (Didn't it only last one season, too?)

Curb Your Enthusiasm. As I mentioned in another thread, I've got the mental image that this is Seinfeld with less likeable actors. I'm not sure I've ever seen a full episode and the parts I saw featured a pretty annoying Larry David.

Easy 6
01-15-2012, 05:11 PM
WKRP is the only one i care about.

Great characters, perfect casting.

Baconeater
01-15-2012, 05:13 PM
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Frazod
01-15-2012, 05:16 PM
WKRP rules.

Murphy Brown distant second.

Never watched the rest.

Zebedee DuBois
01-15-2012, 05:16 PM
WKRP is the only one i care about.

Great characters, perfect casting.

yes, yes, a thousand time yes.

Several sitcoms of that era had excellent ensemble casts. WKRP, Taxi, Barney Miller, etc.

BigMeatballDave
01-15-2012, 05:17 PM
WKRP

That's it.

Deberg_1990
01-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Freaks and Geeks....the most criminally cancelled before its time show of all time.

At least the makers and stars have gone on to bigger things since then. Still, what might have been.....

Caseyguyrr
01-15-2012, 05:21 PM
the only one that doesnt completely suck ass is freaks and geeks, severely underrated and unknown show

ChiefsandO'sfan
01-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Curb Your Enthusiasm should win this.

Caseyguyrr
01-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Curb Your Enthusiasm should win this.

no, freaks and geeks

Deberg_1990
01-15-2012, 05:23 PM
the only one that doesnt completely suck ass is freaks and geeks, severely underrated and unknown show

My guess is alot of people around here have never seen it.

mlyonsd
01-15-2012, 05:25 PM
WKRP.

Caseyguyrr
01-15-2012, 05:25 PM
My guess is alot of people around here have never seen it.

wouldnt be surprised

tymania
01-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Curb is one of the funniest shows ever.. Leon was one of my favorite characters
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rs5w02NvSyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu
01-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of my favorite sitcoms ever. Outstanding. And the Seinfeld reunion concept in the 7th? season was brilliant.

Freaks and Geeks was great while it lasted and I voted for it, but I don't really think it qualifies as a sitcom.

I probably should have voted for WKRP, but I didn't because I liked it and Will & Grace about equally. I never cared for Murphy Brown much.

Caseyguyrr
01-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of my favorite sitcoms ever. Outstanding. And the Seinfeld reunion concept in the 7th? season was brilliant.

Freaks and Geeks was great while it lasted and I voted for it, but I don't really think it qualifies as a sitcom.

I probably should have voted for WKRP, but I didn't because I liked it and Will & Grace about equally. I never cared for Murphy Brown much.

true, Freaks and geeks isnt really in the sitcom category, but it was still awesome and sadly only lasted like 2 seasons

Chiefnj2
01-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Murphy Brown is beating Freaks and Geeks? Bunch of washwomen on this board.

CosmicPal
01-15-2012, 08:02 PM
#1 WKRP in Cincinnati
The turkey drop, the on-air sobriety test, the fumbling cast of characters, and the most awesome music ever on national television (before cable). I'd sometimes watch the show just for the great music. What television series are you ever going to hear a song (Dogs) from Pink Floyd's Animals?

#2 Curb Your Enthusiasm
One of the funniest series ever. Without a doubt.

#3 Freaks and Geeks
A great cast of some of today's hottest stars. When I was laid-off, I downloaded the entire series and got a chance to watch every episode. This is one of those series that makes you wonder how on earth they'd pull this show. Great writing, good stories, and another show that had some totally awesome music in it. What television series are you ever going to hear a song (Box of Rain) from the Grateful Dead's American Beauty?

mnchiefsguy
01-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Freaks and Geeks did not last long enough. Longevity plays a role in my votes. Shows have to show greatness over time.

Bump
01-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Curb rules, one of my fav shows ever.

cardken
01-15-2012, 09:14 PM
I bought the entire series of WKRP kind pirated on Ebay. Had all that original music because it was dubbed from masters. If you buy it on the "open market", the songs are dropped or dubbed over due to musical licenses and royalty disputes.
Glad to have them, not all of them stand up, but pretty strong series in retrospect of what was on TV at the time. As previously stated great casting. Very strong.
Another show the network had little faith in , gave up too soon. Really found it's audience in reruns.

Rain Man
01-15-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm moderately surprised at the low number of votes for Will & Grace. It was hilarious. Among those who didn't vote for it, was it just a discomfort with the gay jokes or did you not find it funny? Karen Walker cracked me up to no end.

Pitt Gorilla
01-15-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm moderately surprised at the low number of votes for Will & Grace. It was hilarious. Among those who didn't vote for it, was it just a discomfort with the gay jokes or did you not find it funny? Karen Walker cracked me up to no end.Will & Grace was brilliant. Great acting and good writing. I thought it would pass through to the next round easily.

Baconeater
01-15-2012, 11:37 PM
I'm moderately surprised at the low number of votes for Will & Grace. It was hilarious. Among those who didn't vote for it, was it just a discomfort with the gay jokes or did you not find it funny? Karen Walker cracked me up to no end.
For me, it's the fact that I never watched it.

Thig Lyfe
01-16-2012, 03:18 AM
Freaks and Geeks did not last long enough. Longevity plays a role in my votes. Shows have to show greatness over time.

That's idiotic. Freaks and Geeks achieved more brilliance in one season than most shows do in five or six or more. Just because it was a victim of dumb TV execs doesn't mean it's a lesser show.

Murphy fucking Brown beating F&G is some bullshit. But I guess F&G isn't really a sitcom in the purest sense.

kc rush
01-16-2012, 07:25 AM
WKRP and Curb.

Rain Man
01-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Baby, if you've ever wondered...wondered just who won this poll,
It's Murphy, Curb, and that great show in Cincy
Cincinnati, WKRP.

Poll over.

I do think Will & Grace died prematurely, though. Drew a very tough heat.

KC Tattoo
01-16-2012, 10:56 AM
WKRP and Curb.

This. I may lean towards WKRP tho in up comming rounds, but I love Curb.

Reaper16
01-16-2012, 12:01 PM
If you didn't vote for Freaks & Geeks, then you have two options: 1.) kill yourself, or 2.) go watch it for the first time and feel immense regret at your ballot.

Omaha
01-16-2012, 12:04 PM
CYE & Will & Grace are my faves.

Thig Lyfe
01-16-2012, 12:28 PM
If you didn't vote for Freaks & Geeks, then you have two options: 1.) kill yourself, or 2.) go watch it for the first time and feel immense regret at your ballot.

Word.

patteeu
01-16-2012, 12:46 PM

You're not nearly as strict about television genres as you are about music genres.

whoman69
01-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Going against the grain here. I think Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of the most self-absorbed boring pieces of crap I have ever watched. I have no enthusiasm and can't remember ever laughing once.

Reaper16
01-16-2012, 12:57 PM
You're not nearly as strict about television genres as you are about music genres.
"Sitcom" is about the most broadly defined genre there is. You can construe basically every comedy as a sitcom. Freeks & Geeks would count because there is a basic situation for the characters -- high school.

If I had my druthers, I would define sitcoms only as multiple-camera comedies (often filmed before studio audiences). Or rather, it'd be more useful to separate TV comedies by single-camera & multiple-camera.

patteeu
01-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Going against the grain here. I think Curb Your Enthusiasm is one of the most self-absorbed boring pieces of crap I have ever watched. I have no enthusiasm and can't remember ever laughing once.

I think we need a ruling here. Are people without any sense of humor allowed to vote in these polls?