PDA

View Full Version : Media Get Ready For Chinese News

jiveturkey
01-17-2012, 07:19 AM
There's 3 pages total. I'm only posting the first page.

In D.C., China builds a news hub to help polish its global image

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/china-building-news-hub-in-dc/2012/01/12/gIQAh2Ps3P_story.html

In a downtown D.C. office building hard by a Starbucks and a busy construction site, China’s most ambitious effort to become a global power in English-language TV news is literally taking shape.

For months, Chinese and American workers have been constructing a multi-floor TV studio complex on New York Avenue NW. Within a few weeks, China Central Television (CCTV) — the nation’s state-run international broadcaster — intends to originate news broadcasts produced by a staff of more than 60 journalists hired in recent weeks from NBC, Bloomberg TV, Fox News and other Western news organizations.

The new Washington operation, its managers say, will be a hub of CCTV’s global news-gathering operations as the network launches a major expansion outside China to compete with international broadcasters such as CNN, the BBC and al-Jazeera.

China watchers see an even larger aim in China’s multimillion-dollar investment in Washington: capturing the attention and perhaps the hearts and minds of viewers throughout the United States and the Western Hemisphere. China’s ambition, they say, is to use news reporting and cultural programming to advance its “soft power,” or cultural influence, making it commensurate with the nation’s growing economic might.

China’s leaders think their country is “constrained, even contained, by the global dominance of Western media groups and Western culture,” said David Bandurski, the editor of the China Media Project, a research consortium at the University of Hong Kong.

To counter this, Bandurski said, China is “building networks across various types of media that can be used to convey [the Chinese point of view] to the world. China’s leaders hope this will help the country channel public opinion globally, offsetting what they see as overwhelmingly negative coverage of China by Western media.”

To this end, he said, China has poured billions of dollars into the international expansion of government-controlled news sources such as CCTV and Xinhua, the state wire service. Among other ventures, it funds the distribution of a state-run newspaper, China Watch, which is carried in The Washington Post and the New York Times as a monthly advertorial insert. CCTV opened a new broadcast center similar to the Washington operation in Nairobi last week.

But Bandurski and other China experts say the country’s lofty media goals may collide with the communist government’s long history of official censorship and propaganda. China’s desire for international respect and stature raises a question for its journalists: Can they report without fear or favor, free from government ma*nipu*la*tion and second-guessing?

Those hired by CCTV for its U.S.-based effort acknowledge the challenge.They say viewers are likely to be skeptical of any news source controlled by Beijing. However, they insist that the network will have autonomy from Beijing, and that its journalists are seasoned professionals who understand the difference between government propaganda and news.

CCTV wouldn’t permit any of its officials or journalists to speak on the record for this article. Instead, the network offered a series of responses to e-mailed questions. It said its replies should be attributed to “a representative of CCTV News’ Broadcast Center” in Washington, with no names or titles attached.

Chiefshrink
01-17-2012, 07:58 AM
The One World Global Network as China begins to send their message to America and start claiming what is actually theirs because of our Chinese Credit Cards we have been melting.

Not good!

KILLER_CLOWN
01-17-2012, 08:02 AM
Who's ready for the sweatshops?

mikey23545
01-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Just think, with hundreds of journalists working at slave wages they'll be able to churn out broadcasts much cheaper than the U.S.

Pioli Zombie
01-17-2012, 12:37 PM
All the news you need in tenfifteen minutes.

mikey23545
01-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Me news you long time.

Pioli Zombie
01-17-2012, 01:01 PM
A couple of hours later you'll want to see the news again

vailpass
01-17-2012, 02:23 PM
All their journalists have slanted opinions.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-17-2012, 02:23 PM
All their journalists have slanted opinions.

did someone drop the silverware?

vailpass
01-17-2012, 02:24 PM
did someone drop the silverware?

:D

Pioli Zombie
01-17-2012, 05:11 PM
We will now serve news over flaming fire. You need more water? I get you water.

jspchief
01-17-2012, 05:36 PM
All the news you need in tenfifteen minutes.

I laughed

Saul Good
01-17-2012, 06:14 PM
I was wondering what was up when I saw a news program called Super Great Job Cowboy News Show You Like It Very Great.

Saul Good
01-17-2012, 06:15 PM
The weird thing was that I felt like I watched all the news I could stomach, but fifteen minutes later, I felt like I needed to watch the news again.

mlyonsd
01-17-2012, 06:17 PM
I think the last news story should be a positive one and they should call it the happy ending segment.

Pioli Zombie
01-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Wait did they put in this news, its giving me the shits.

Hog Farmer
01-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Oh great ! Gonna be called "ROX NEWS" I suppose !

BigMeatballDave
01-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Does it come with a helping of General Tso's chicken?

bevischief
01-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Fortune cookie news (FCN)

Pioli Zombie
01-21-2012, 04:14 PM
They don't hire from outside. The anchor man makes his daughters work at the station right after school and do their homework while writing the newscasts. After 10 years of hanging around the station until 11 every night they are ready to anchor the weekend news.

Easy 6
01-21-2012, 08:26 PM
LMAO the jokes almost write themselves.

Pioli Zombie
02-11-2012, 09:34 AM
You need more water? I get you water. You like weather? Yeah, weather good.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-11-2012, 04:31 PM
A bit off topic but not much. I remember taking one of my overweight coworkers to a Chinese restaurant many years ago. He tried to order a Pepsi and the girl said "You fat, you drink diet capekski" LMAO

Easy 6
02-12-2012, 09:34 AM
A bit off topic but not much. I remember taking one of my overweight coworkers to a Chinese restaurant many years ago. He tried to order a Pepsi and the girl said "You fat, you drink diet capekski" LMAO

LMAO classic stuff.

Their favorite thing to do at the local buffet is to hover nearby with some metal instrument in their hands, sullenly eyeballing you, just daring the ugly americans to take too much of one thing or pick out the choicest bits of meat.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-12-2012, 09:53 AM
LMAO classic stuff.

Their favorite thing to do at the local buffet is to hover nearby with some metal instrument in their hands, sullenly eyeballing you, just daring the ugly americans to take too much of one thing or pick out the choicest bits of meat.

No NO, you don't take real chicken! LMAO

That was our first clue to leave, the 2nd was the veteranary clinic next door which should have been the first.

Easy 6
02-12-2012, 10:01 AM
No NO, you don't take real chicken! LMAO

Mongorian beef no cheap, no more for you!