PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Clash of the Sitcoms: Round 1, Heat 12.

Rain Man
01-17-2012, 03:10 PM
We have most of the past four decades represented here.

Easy 6
01-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Alice & Barney Miller.

Thats it.

blaise
01-17-2012, 03:14 PM
If you can get past the fact that the Golden Girls has four old women starring, it's actually a very witty show.
It's no Barney Miller, though.

Hydrae
01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Alice & Barney Miller.

Thats it.

same

Rain Man
01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
This one was really easy for me, other than which one to pick in my #1 and #2 spots.

#1A - Barney Miller. One of my favorite shows ever. Dietrich is my humor role model, and I liked the other characters as well. Solid show from top to bottom.

#1B - Malcolm in the Middle. I usually don't like shows that have any kind of child in the cast, which makes Malcolm such a marvelous exception. All four of the boys were great in their roles, and I always liked Craig Feldspar a lot, too. Great show.

#3 - Golden Girls. I'm not the target market and it's not a killer show, but it wins the #3 spot and occasionally has some funny lines.

Didn't make the cut.

Community - Never seen it, never will. I don't like Chevy Chase. Never thought he was funny, and never thought he picked career choices that were funny, with the minor exception of the Vacation series.

Alice - This show really annoyed me.

AustinChief
01-17-2012, 03:30 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PGv_7VgFgeg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stuff like this is why Barney Miller kicks all ass.

blaise
01-17-2012, 03:31 PM
You don't even like Fletch, Rain Man?

Bump
01-17-2012, 03:32 PM
I cannot in good conscience vote for any of these.

Rain Man
01-17-2012, 03:38 PM
If you guys didn't vote for Malcolm, it's only because you haven't seen it. That show was hysterical. Check out these and other memorable quotes:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212671/quotes

Francis: Okay, I'm going to show you guys the coolest thing you have even seen. Get me some lighter fluid, a waffle iron, and one of Dewey's stuffed animals, the furrier the better.

Hal: So, Dewey, I'm thinking our little [Lego] community needs a school.
Dewey: Don't need it. Everyone's born smart.
Hal: Aww, that's beautiful, son. It's a utopia.
Dewey: And anyone stupid will be ground up for food.
Hal: Oh. A cannibal utopia. Interesting.

Policeman: What is it you said you're doing here?
Hal: We're watching the cat.
Policeman: I don't see a cat.
Hal: We're not doing a very good job.

Hal: Okay, I'm not smart enough to figure out what you're up to. But when something bad happens, I am blaming you.

Reese: Dewey, do you trust me?
Dewey: No.
Reese: Do you fear me?
Dewey: No.
[pause]
Dewey: Not in the long run.

Predarat
01-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Community has Alison Brie. That itself is worth a vote.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=238900

Rain Man
01-17-2012, 03:39 PM
You don't even like Fletch, Rain Man?

Couldn't stand it. It was just dumb, and not dumb in a good way. I didn't even really like him on Saturday Night Live all that much.

BigMeatballDave
01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Couldn't stand it. It was just dumb, and not dumb in a good way. I didn't even really like him on Saturday Night Live all that much.

BLASPHEMY!

BigMeatballDave
01-17-2012, 03:45 PM
The pot brownie episode on Barney Miller is some of funniest shit.

Garcia Bronco
01-17-2012, 03:47 PM
Alice, BM, and MitM(if you've never see the Bee episode...I recommend it.)

Pitt Gorilla
01-17-2012, 03:49 PM
This one was really easy for me, other than which one to pick in my #1 and #2 spots.

#1A - Barney Miller. One of my favorite shows ever. Dietrich is my humor role model, and I liked the other characters as well. Solid show from top to bottom.

#1B - Malcolm in the Middle. I usually don't like shows that have any kind of child in the cast, which makes Malcolm such a marvelous exception. All four of the boys were great in their roles, and I always liked Craig Feldspar a lot, too. Great show.

#3 - Golden Girls. I'm not the target market and it's not a killer show, but it wins the #3 spot and occasionally has some funny lines.

Didn't make the cut.

Community - Never seen it, never will. I don't like Chevy Chase. Never thought he was funny, and never thought he picked career choices that were funny, with the minor exception of the Vacation series.

Alice - This show really annoyed me.Community is brilliant in spite of Chevy Chase.

DJ's left nut
01-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Archer.

I hate you people.

kc rush
01-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Community, Malcolm, Barney Miller

gblowfish
01-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Barney Miller:
The hash brownie episode.
The Best:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZPEzburu1Mg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SLAG
01-17-2012, 04:27 PM
The Mrs. and I are working our way through Malcolm - She didn't like it back in the day - but now after 3 boys she finds it Hilarious

I always enjoyed it and bryan cranston is amazing

Zebedee DuBois
01-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Wow, a chance to vote for shows that I really think are outstanding.
In order of airing:
1.) Barney Miller - an outstanding ensemble of interesting characters that aren't complete caricatures. The humor was often wry and the plot points were often unspoken.
2. Malcolm in the Middle. Hilarious and clever. Oddball and oft kilter. Excellent writing.
2. Community. This show has been excellent. Chevy is mostly a bit player, so he doesn't drag the show, and occasionally has added significantly. The episode where they put on an anti-drug play for kids, and Chase plays 'drugs as cool' to get attention was hilarious - and in the end they even did have an actual anti-drug message.

whoman69
01-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Barney Miller is one of the smartest, funniest shows ever.

Buck
01-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Chevy Chase is in the main cast of Community, but really, he has a minor role compared to everyone else in the main cast.

That's like saying you won't watch Executive Decision because you don't like Steven Seagal.

Crush
01-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Archer.

I hate you people.

This

All of you are a bunch of Woodhouses.

Pioli Zombie
01-17-2012, 05:02 PM
Early to rise, early to bed. In in between I cooked and cleaned and went out of my head. Blah blah blah blah blah its tough to see blah blah blah there's a new girl in town and she's looking GOOD. There's a fresh freckled face in the neighborhood, there a new girl in town and blah blah blah and if things work out linda lavin will blow me in the parking lalalalalalalala

Rain Man
01-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Early to rise, early to bed. In in between I cooked and cleaned and went out of my head. Blah blah blah blah blah its tough to see blah blah blah there's a new girl in town and she's looking GOOD. There's a fresh freckled face in the neighborhood, there a new girl in town and blah blah blah and if things work out linda lavin will blow me in the parking lalalalalalalala

I never knew the words to that. It makes a lot of sense now.

Rain Man
01-17-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm not worried about Barney Miller, because it should be safe. I need Malcolm to advance, though.

Micjones
01-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Had to vote for Barney Miller. I watched that as a kid with my dad.
We used to air guitar that theme song every time it came on.

I can tell you virtually nothing about the show, but that's one of the few fond memories I have of my old man.

hometeam
01-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Community is a great show.

It seems like in all heats, really terrible old and inferior shows are getting more votes than the newer shows just becuase alot of the votes are going for crap from when we where kids, with little regard to the actual quality of the show~

Nostalgia > quality.

Then again, i guess there was no voting criteria, so I suppose nostalgia is a valid reason to vote for some of these :P

AustinChief
01-17-2012, 05:57 PM

It seems like in all heats, really terrible old and inferior shows are getting more votes than the newer shows just becuase alot of the votes are going for crap from when we where kids, with little regard to the actual quality of the show~

Nostalgia > quality.

Then again, i guess there was no voting criteria, so I suppose nostalgia is a valid reason to vote for some of these :P

Not in my case. I didn't vote for Alice or Golden Girls (from my childhood) but did vote for Barney Miller because it is far and away the best show on the list... by a landslide.

Infidel Goat
01-17-2012, 06:07 PM

Dear Rain Man,

Please do me a favor. Watch Community. I would argue that it is the best comedy currently on television. I understand the disdain for Chevy. Reruns of his talk show would make Jay Leno seem funny.

I don't really care if it gets voted out of this tournament, but someone as funny as you should really give this show a chance in spite of Senior Chase.

Sincerely,
Infidel Goat

patteeu
01-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Two great shows, Barney Miller and Malcolm in the Middle got my votes this round.

I haven't seen Community, but I've heard good things about it. I have no use for either of the other two.

patteeu
01-17-2012, 06:22 PM

I've discovered a serious flaw in your sense of humor.

Ebolapox
01-17-2012, 06:26 PM
golden girls is freaking classic. it's funnier NOW than it was back then, I catch reruns on occasion.

KC Tattoo
01-17-2012, 07:03 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PGv_7VgFgeg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stuff like this is why Barney Miller kicks all ass.

:thumb:

KC Tattoo
01-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Have I missed Mel's Diner?

If so or it's not in the finals..

Kiss my grits!

MahiMike
01-17-2012, 07:16 PM
very close between Barney and Malcolm.

Rain Man
01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
I've discovered a serious flaw in your sense of humor.

Says the guy who doesn't know about Archer. Archer!

KcMizzou
01-17-2012, 10:35 PM

Nostalgia > quality.

Then again, i guess there was no voting criteria, so I suppose nostalgia is a valid reason to vote for some of these :PDon't worry. Those old people will be dead soon.

Meanwhile, vote for Community!!!

KcMizzou
01-17-2012, 10:38 PM

Shame on you, Rain Man. Shame on you. :shake:

mnchiefsguy
01-18-2012, 12:15 AM
Says the guy who doesn't know about Archer. Archer!

Have watched the first episode of Archer and am currently watching the second.....and am laughing my ass off. Where has this show been? It is awesome!

Omaha
01-18-2012, 10:09 AM
I voted for none of the above, but that's mostly because BM was before my time & I've never really seen it. The clips posted in this thread are good, though.

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 12:23 PM
In one of our more even heats, we had some popular shows biting the dust.

Moving on, though, are Barney Miller, Malcolm in the Middle, and The Golden Girls.

Honestly, I was a little embarrassed to say I voted for The Golden Girls since I'm not post-menopausal, but it looks like it was actually pretty popular.

Amnorix
01-18-2012, 01:05 PM
God Barney Miller was awesome.

I didn't see that many episodes of The Golden Girls, but what few I saw were terrific. You need to get past the four little old ladies, but once you do, damn it's funny.

Pitt Gorilla
01-18-2012, 01:10 PM
AND the poll is completely without meaning. Good job, everyone!

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 01:16 PM
AND the poll is completely without meaning. Good job, everyone!

Big fan of Alice, eh?

Pitt Gorilla
01-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Big fan of Alice, eh?I loved that show as a child.

Silock
01-18-2012, 01:31 PM
These polls are so skewed toward the older demographic.

Buck
01-19-2012, 02:08 AM
Community didn't make it?

Haha, what a joke this competition is.