PDA

View Full Version : Life Kansas House To Consider Medical Marijuana

pr_capone
01-17-2012, 08:50 PM
http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Kansas_House_To_Consider_Medical_Marijuana_Bill_137526878.html

A bill that would legalize the use and sale of marijuana for medical conditions will go before a Kansas House of Representatives committee later this month.

House Bill 2330 would establish the Cannabis Compassion and Care Act which would allow patients of certain debilitating medical conditions to use marijuana legally. Patients would issued identification cards and the drug would be sold at registered businesses.

Fifteen other states have legalized medical marijuana. Supporters of the bill say marijuana is a proven natural medication for those with many diseases, including glaucoma, cancer, HIV/AIDS, hepatitis C, Crohn's disease and multiple sclerosis. They say the bill would also bring needed revenue into the state.

A hearing for HB 2330 is scheduled before House Health and Human Services Committee on January 24.

I am thrilled this is happening. I am no hippie pot head but have dealt with insomnia for 8 years and have tried everything under the sun to get normal sleep. I've even been prescribed old antidepressants called amitriptolyne to get me to sleep. All doing not an ounce to get me sleepy. MJ, on the other hand, relaxes me to the point where I can go to sleep with relative ease.

Though MJ should be legalized, even for non medical use, this is at least an outstanding first step in that direction. I cannot wait to hear what Jan 24 brings!

chiefs2012
01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
christ

go bowe
01-17-2012, 08:55 PM
i figure marijuana will be legalized just after i fucking DIE!!!

Chief_For_Life58
01-17-2012, 08:58 PM
ur excited? to hear that the bill was denied?

The Dawg
01-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Oooogaaa Boooogaaa Booogaaa!

pr_capone
01-17-2012, 09:04 PM
ur excited? to hear that the bill was denied?

Dynamite post CFL. I am amazed you were not in the running for 2011 most valuable poster.

Bump
01-17-2012, 09:06 PM
corruption is the only reason why it's still illegal. It's sickening that it's not legal everywhere.

LiveSteam
01-17-2012, 09:09 PM
christ

He smoked it

KcMizzou
01-17-2012, 09:11 PM
That seems odd. Isn't Kansas generally super conservative? (The whole evolution thing...)

Bump
01-17-2012, 09:13 PM
That seems odd. Isn't Kansas generally super conservative? (The whole evolution thing...)

ya, it won't pass because 90% of the population of this state are conservative idiot ****s and big pharma will make sure weed stays the way it is for as long as they possibly can. This country is so fucking corrupt I can't stand it.

Extra Point
01-17-2012, 09:13 PM

And SW MO isn't? With at least 6 bible colleges?

Saulbadguy
01-17-2012, 09:14 PM
lol, not a chance in hell.

Pawnmower
01-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Its been legal in california for 15 years and done nothing but help people like pr-capone, help the local economy, shut down mexican gangs who import weed in favor of local , higher quality stuff from citizen farmers, spur new business and technology like hydroponics stores.

It hasn't had many, if any negative impacts that I am aware of.

Oh and added massive tax revenue.

Bump
01-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Its been legal in california for 15 years and done nothing but help people like pr-capone, help the local economy, shut down mexican gangs who import weed in favor of local , higher quality stuff from citizen farmers, spur new business and technology like hydroponics stores.

there are literally 100's of health and economic benefits to legalizing weed and practically zero cons. Corruption rules this country, unfortunately. Weed will finally get there for everybody, but it's going to take a lot more time.

Pawnmower
01-17-2012, 09:20 PM
there are literally 100's of health and economic benefits to legalizing weed and practically zero cons. Corruption rules this country, unfortunately. Weed will finally get there for everybody, but it's going to take a lot more time.

What finally pushed it over the edge in CA was the tax revenue, so if you have a chance just tell people that stupid hippies will still smoke weed, and so you might as well make tax money on them...LOL

ForeverChiefs58
01-17-2012, 09:40 PM
What is weird to me is besides the obvious benefits of MJ, are the many benefits to hemp. It grows much faster than trees so people actually wouldn't need to cut down trees for paper. And you can make many other things just from the plant.

They should try to work on getting the classification of the drug changed. I believe it is in the same category as cocaine and is listed as having no medical benefit? Besides BS, that is extremly odd, since it is proven to have medical benefits.

Chief_For_Life58
01-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Dynamite post CFL. I am amazed you were not in the running for 2011 most valuable poster.

hey man i want it to be legal as much as you do. it has a hundred pros and no cons. i live in colorado where mm is legal and i do find it alittle rediculous that anyone with a back pain can just go to the "right" doctor who advocates legalization and they just give that person a card. That needs to be changed. I just dont see kansas going for medical marijuana anytime soon with all the bible belt church huggers who think marijuana is the devil occupying the great state of kansas.

Brock
01-17-2012, 10:07 PM
hey man i want it to be legal as much as you do. it has a hundred pros and no cons. i live in colorado where mm is legal and i do find it alittle rediculous that anyone with a back pain can just go to the "right" doctor who advocates legalization and they just give that person a card. That needs to be changed.

Why does that need to be changed? What do you care who's getting it?

ForeverChiefs58
01-17-2012, 10:18 PM
hey man i want it to be legal as much as you do. it has a hundred pros and no cons. i live in colorado where mm is legal and i do find it alittle rediculous that anyone with a back pain can just go to the "right" doctor who advocates legalization and they just give that person a card. That needs to be changed. I just dont see kansas going for medical marijuana anytime soon with all the bible belt church huggers who think marijuana is the devil occupying the great state of kansas.

What has happened that is bad that people shouldn't be able to go to the right Dr? Overdoses? Violent Crimes? Deaths?

Considering how many people die from Prescription pain pills, over the counter meds, alcohol, cigs etc I don't see what is bad about people doing something that may help them, but won't hurt them.

lcarus
01-17-2012, 10:19 PM

Oh and added massive tax revenue.

That's all true, but it doesn't matter. A lot of the older generation were brainwashed into thinking it's "bad". Once those dumb assholes shrivel up and die, they might finally legalize the stuff.

Bump
01-17-2012, 10:47 PM
That's all true, but it doesn't matter. A lot of the older generation were brainwashed into thinking it's "bad". Once those dumb assholes shrivel up and die, they might finally legalize the stuff.

that's a damn good point

KcMizzou
01-17-2012, 10:49 PM
That's all true, but it doesn't matter. A lot of the older generation were brainwashed into thinking it's "bad". Once those dumb assholes shrivel up and die, they might finally legalize the stuff.That's the plan.

alnorth
01-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Kansas House To Consider Medical Marijuana

ROFL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Wow, that was a good one. Thanks.

alnorth
01-17-2012, 10:57 PM

Agreed. Most people I grew up with a decade or two ago didn't necessarily smoke it (and neither do I), but almost no one younger than 35 or 40 believes it should be illegal. We should either legalize it, or we should ban cigarettes and alcohol. No other option makes sense.

I think we're still a good 10 or 20 years away from the end of pot prohibition.

boogblaster
01-17-2012, 11:25 PM
hope to see it sumday .. i havent really smoked much in last 15 years tho ......

Ultra Peanut
01-17-2012, 11:33 PM
Oh hey, maybe Kansas and Massachusetts can be MMJ-in-2012 Budd--pfahahhahhaha sorry, couldn't keep a straight face there.

Good luck, at least.

go bowe
01-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Oh hey, maybe Kansas and Massachusetts can be MMJ-in-2012 Budd--pfahahhahhaha sorry, couldn't keep a straight face there.

Good luck, at least.

hey, peanut...

how's boston?

we don't see you around here very often...

hope all is well with you...

KCUnited
01-18-2012, 05:32 AM
Go perfect with my FMLA.

kstater
01-18-2012, 05:47 AM
ROFL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Wow, that was a good one. Thanks.

This pretty much summed up my thoughts when I saw this.

Inspector
01-18-2012, 06:15 AM

Yeah...no....

That's the kind of stuff we said 30 - 40 years ago.

Anyone who thinks MJ is illegal due to "old people" hasn't done much research - in my opinion.

Also makes me think that anyone who says this doesn't have a true grasp why it's not legal.

Might want to check the economic impact of it on police, department of justice, prisons and those who support prisons and the police and the courts and on and on....Any ideas how many people have jobs because of all the people who are arrested, prosecuted and jailed due to MJ?

The idea that MJ is illigal is because of old people is assinine. I know lots of old people being one myself and none of them I know think it should be illegal.

Now, that being said, I do run across a few dumbass young folks at times who are all for it staying against the law and most of them have jobs that are supported by it.

Unless you're talking about people in their 80's and up - yeah, seems some of them think it's evil and should stay against the law but really, there's not many of them around anyway.

htismaqe
01-18-2012, 06:19 AM
If it won't pass it in Iowa, I highly doubt it will in Kansas.

The conservatives here can't stop anything from passing but yet this item won't go through - even the liberals don't want it.

Fat Elvis
01-18-2012, 08:48 AM
It won't make it out of committee--if it even gets a hearing. Brownback probably told the committee chairperson to consider the bill so that they can track who shows up to the hearing and arrest them within the week.

vailpass
01-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Good luck with that. They legalized medical mj in Arizona a year ago and they still can't open any dispensaries or sell it. The governor has had it tied up in federal court, now that has been dismissed and there are other legal maneuverings that promise to prevent the sale for another year. Soon after it will be up for another vote in which it may well be defeated. It is conceivable that medical mj could have been approved by the people, then voted out by the people a few years later, without a gram of mj ever having been dispensed.

Braincase
01-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Why would they pass it? This government would rather have people buying those overpriced, poorly tested drugs from big pharma to treat the after effects of chemotherapy and radiation treatments. They know who pays for their reelection campaigns.

gblowfish
01-18-2012, 09:35 AM
nawt gonna happen.....

alnorth
01-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Yeah...no....

That's the kind of stuff we said 30 - 40 years ago.

Anyone who thinks MJ is illegal due to "old people" hasn't done much research - in my opinion.

Also makes me think that anyone who says this doesn't have a true grasp why it's not legal.

Might want to check the economic impact of it on police, department of justice, prisons and those who support prisons and the police and the courts and on and on....Any ideas how many people have jobs because of all the people who are arrested, prosecuted and jailed due to MJ?

The idea that MJ is illigal is because of old people is assinine. I know lots of old people being one myself and none of them I know think it should be illegal.

Now, that being said, I do run across a few dumbass young folks at times who are all for it staying against the law and most of them have jobs that are supported by it.

Unless you're talking about people in their 80's and up - yeah, seems some of them think it's evil and should stay against the law but really, there's not many of them around anyway.

The electorate is not made up of people who are in the police union. (and a lot of them, judges, lawyers, etc if asked in private would rather it be legal.)

This is not some grand conspiracy to keep people employed, and you are ignoring the progress that has been made. 30-40 years ago we did not have these MM laws pass or outright full decriminalization come decently close in NV. Nor 20-30 years ago, nor 10-20 years ago.

Just like gay marriage, its slowly getting there as the older idiots die out. People don't start to reliably vote until their 40's or so. People in their late 50's and up are strong reliable voters, and people are living longer.

tooge
01-18-2012, 09:55 AM
FFS, grow your own. A small grow light, a basement or closet, a few pots, some good soil, and a seed source, and you can have all the MJ you want. Just don't go selling it to 0thers.

vailpass
01-18-2012, 09:57 AM
FFS, grow your own. A small grow light, a basement or closet, a few pots, some good soil, and a seed source, and you can have all the MJ you want. Just don't go selling it to 0thers.

That is especially good advice for those who live in a residential area, entertain guests/relatives, have a career, and/or have children in the house.

Dick Bull
01-18-2012, 10:21 AM
That is especially good advice for those who live in a residential area, entertain guests/relatives, have a career, and/or have children in the house.

I agree. If anyone asks about it just say that it was either this or a meth lab. Sat down, weighed the options, and decided to go green.

htismaqe
01-18-2012, 10:23 AM

It isn't really THAT simple but it is easy. That being said, people doing that get caught all the time. Some enforcement agencies use interesting tactics.

Garcia Bronco
01-18-2012, 10:29 AM
We sell it here in Colorado and people are prospering on it. It's also generating tax revenue, but keep fighting the good fight Kansas. LOL Lord forbid your state get out of debt on it's own.

tooge
01-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Buddy of mines mother grows her own with a permit of some sort in Colorado.

lcarus
01-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Did I tell you all about when I was 17 and I got arrested for having a joint in my house? Apparently someone called the cops on me because they saw me at my window smoking weed. The cops showed up and found the roach and put me on house arrest. Not only that but they put me on probation for a year, made me take a 17 dollar drug test weekly, made me take all sorts of expensive classes and "therapy sessions", which cost my parents a fortune in the long run. Just because I got a little high and played Tomb Raider 2. My whole senior year of high school was basically ruined as a result.

I don't know if they realize it, but weed IS house arrest. Hell, it's couch arrest in some cases. But they used the fact that it's illegal to extort money from my family in various ways. **** Johnson County juvenile court.

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Don't do it, its the gateway drug.

htismaqe
01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Don't do it, its the gateway drug.

Here you are discouraging others from doing something we all know YOU do...

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Here you are discouraging others from doing something we all know YOU do...

o:-)

Detoxing
01-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Not sure how it would work in Kansas but in California it seems to be successful in removing illegal drugs, at least in my circle of friends. I can't really think of anyone ATM that buys street weed anymore.

Hell, the guy I use to buy weed from use to purchase his weed by the pound. He doesn't deal anymore. He lost most of his customers to clinics so it's no longer worth the effort/risk for him.

Too bad the feds are doing their best to shut down every shop in the county.

sd4chiefs
01-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Not sure how it would work in Kansas but in California it seems to be successful in removing illegal drugs, at least in my circle of friends. I can't really think of anyone ATM that buys street weed anymore.

Hell, the guy I use to buy weed from use to purchase his weed by the pound. He doesn't deal anymore. He lost most of his customers to clinics so it's no longer worth the effort/risk for him.

Too bad the feds are doing their best to shut down every shop in the county.

The County District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis is behind the Fed crack down of the San Diego Pot shops. Now she is running for Mayor. The Bitch must be stopped.

Chocolate Hog
01-18-2012, 11:46 AM
The religious zealots won't let this happen.

Detoxing
01-18-2012, 11:49 AM
The County District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis is behind the Fed crack down of the San Diego Pot shops. Now she is running for Mayor. The Bitch must be stopped.

Noted.

htismaqe
01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
The religious zealots won't let this happen.

The religious zealots in this state couldn't stop gay marriage and they certainly didn't stop medical marijuana either.

Brock
01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
The religious zealots in this state couldn't stop gay marriage and they certainly didn't stop medical marijuana either.

As backwards as Iowa may be, Kansas is that times 10.

vailpass
01-18-2012, 12:22 PM
I agree. If anyone asks about it just say that it was either this or a meth lab. Sat down, weighed the options, and decided to go green.

LMAO

Coach
01-18-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm a Kansan, and I support this bill for many reasons.

patteeu
01-18-2012, 12:28 PM
It isn't really THAT simple but it is easy. That being said, people doing that get caught all the time. Some enforcement agencies use interesting tactics.

The way my kids and wife leave the lights on all the time and even leave the front door open in the middle of winter, I wouldn't be surprised to see a SWAT team break down my door (if it happens to be closed) any day now due to suspiciously high electric consumption.

Stanley Nickels
01-18-2012, 12:37 PM
I have a friend who is a grower in Fort Collins, CO. I found it really interesting that the city recently repealed the storefront MMJ facilities, in favor of the previous model where private parties grow inside their house-- virtually unregulated-- and dispense from there. I guess having too many tie-dyed storefronts is more important to the city than the tax revenue, as well as increased regulation and compliance.

When he came, he brought some with him, which I talked to him a little about. I'm really not much of a smoker, because I really don't do well with "head-highs" (I'm far too self-conscious and paranoid as it is). He explained how indicas and sativas worked, and I won't say I bought any from him, but IF I HAD, I'd imagine I'd be telling you about how incredibly distinct highs can be, and he HYPOTHETICALLY gave me a bag that simply relaxed my body and helped me wind down from the day.

Stanley Nickels
01-18-2012, 12:38 PM
I don't intend this to veer in a DC direction, but I doubt you'll see MMJ legalization make headways at the same time that we're increasingly privatizing our jail systems. When you have a private party, one with lobbying power and governmental sway, squaring off with legalizing an illegal drug... well, you know who wins that battle almost every time.

htismaqe
01-18-2012, 12:44 PM
I have a friend who is a grower in Fort Collins, CO. I found it really interesting that the city recently repealed the storefront MMJ facilities, in favor of the previous model where private parties grow inside their house-- virtually unregulated-- and dispense from there. I guess having too many tie-dyed storefronts is more important to the city than the tax revenue, as well as increased regulation and compliance.

When he came, he brought some with him, which I talked to him a little about. I'm really not much of a smoker, because I really don't do well with "head-highs" (I'm far too self-conscious and paranoid as it is). He explained how indicas and sativas worked, and I won't say I bought any from him, but IF I HAD, I'd imagine I'd be telling you about how incredibly distinct highs can be, and he HYPOTHETICALLY gave me a bag that simply relaxed my body and helped me wind down from the day.

I also have an acquaintance in Colorado who grows medical marijuana as a job and his stuff puts the emphasis on the term "medical".

Chocolate Hog
01-18-2012, 12:46 PM

With all due respect Iowa is nothing like Kansas. They literally kill abortion doctors here.

RubberSponge
01-18-2012, 04:24 PM
It won't make it out of committee, but it is a step in the right direction. Last year it couldn't even make it into committee as it was refused to be heard.

Chief_For_Life58
01-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Did I tell you all about when I was 17 and I got arrested for having a joint in my house? Apparently someone called the cops on me because they saw me at my window smoking weed. The cops showed up and found the roach and put me on house arrest. Not only that but they put me on probation for a year, made me take a 17 dollar drug test weekly, made me take all sorts of expensive classes and "therapy sessions", which cost my parents a fortune in the long run. Just because I got a little high and played Tomb Raider 2. My whole senior year of high school was basically ruined as a result.

I don't know if they realize it, but weed IS house arrest. Hell, it's couch arrest in some cases. But they used the fact that it's illegal to extort money from my family in various ways. **** Johnson County juvenile court.

sorry to hear that. thats f'd

WhiteWhale
01-21-2012, 03:05 PM
As backwards as Iowa may be, Kansas is that times 10.

Word.

If you aren't from Kansas, you have no idea how fundamentalist and backwards our thinking is.

When I was in school Evolution was taught to me with a qualifier. "This is what people who don't believe in god think.." When I was in school (this was late 90's) about 70% of my class left when evolution was taught because their parents didn't want them to learn it.

Our governor is a fundamentalist whack job to boot.

I'd love for this to pass (largely because I have a family member who it could really help) but I know it will not.

banyon
01-21-2012, 03:10 PM
This bill came up last year too. It died a quiet death in committee, as it likely will again.

Brownback would have a conniption if anyone dares to pass something that would interfere with his 2016 conservative cred presidential resume checklist.

It's too bad, because as someone who has to actually prosecute these cases, it is a complete waste of state resources, IMO.

Chocolate Hog
01-21-2012, 03:21 PM
This bill came up last year too. It died a quiet death in committee, as it likely will again.

Brownback would have a conniption if anyone dares to pass something that would interfere with his 2016 conservative cred presidential resume checklist.

It's too bad, because as someone who has to actually prosecute these cases, it is a complete waste of state resources, IMO.

You're a prosecutor?

banyon
01-21-2012, 03:23 PM
You're a prosecutor?

Yes, I've made that known before.

Chocolate Hog
01-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Yes, I've made that known before.

Look man I didn't know she was under age.

Douche Baggins
01-21-2012, 03:26 PM
LEGALIZE WEED, BUT BAN THE INTERNET

banyon
01-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Look man I didn't know she was under age.

IGNORANCE OF THE LAW IS NO EXCUSE!

:D

RubberSponge
01-21-2012, 05:13 PM

Hmm, I thought it was never heard in 2011 as Rep. Brenda Landwehr, chair of H&HS wouldn't allow it.

Doesn't really matter anyway. The rightard wingnuts here would still rather have the money either go to criminal mexican drug cartels or make it's way back into Colorado than stay in state.

DaFace
01-21-2012, 05:24 PM
I've got a friend who's a cop in Kansas specializing in drug control, and he joked about how much their jobs have gotten to be tougher because people are importing medical marijuana from Colorado.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Colorado manages to pass our outright legalization measure in November.

Brock
01-21-2012, 05:35 PM
It'll be interesting to see what happens if Colorado manages to pass our outright legalization measure in November.

I'll be spending a lot of time in Colorado.

stonedstooge
01-21-2012, 05:44 PM
I've got a friend who's a cop in Kansas specializing in drug control, and he joked about how much their jobs have gotten to be tougher because people are importing medical marijuana from Colorado.

By law or vote of the people? Missouri is putting it up for vote

crispystl420
01-21-2012, 06:01 PM

Missouri is putting it up for vote in November????

DaFace
01-21-2012, 06:03 PM

Vote. I doubt it passes, but it only lost by a few percentage points last time. Now that the medical stuff has become so prominent, one would think that the percentages would shift once again. We'll see.

crispystl420
01-21-2012, 06:05 PM
Vote. I doubt it passes, but it only lost by a few percentage points last time. Now that the medical stuff has become so prominent, one would think that the percentages would shift once again. We'll see.

They're putting medical marijuana up for vote or outright legalization?

DaFace
01-21-2012, 06:08 PM
They're putting medical marijuana up for vote or outright legalization?

Outright. Well, it would be "treated like alcohol (http://www.regulatemarijuana.org/)." We've had medical here for a long time now.

Technically, they still have to count all of the signatures, but they got something like 160k and only needed 85k I think so unless half of them are crap, it'll be on there.

The weird thing is that it's one of THREE initiatives trying to get it on the ballot in November. I think the other two are much further away in terms of getting signatures and such, though.

stonedstooge
01-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Missouri is putting it up for vote in November????

They were getting signatures to get it put on the ballot this fall. Don't think they are due for a few months yet

crispystl420
01-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Outright. Well, it would be "treated like alcohol (http://www.regulatemarijuana.org/)." We've had medical here for a long time now.

Technically, they still have to count all of the signatures, but they got something like 160k and only needed 85k I think so unless half of them are crap, it'll be on there.

The weird thing is that it's one of THREE initiatives trying to get it on the ballot in November. I think the other two are much further away in terms of getting signatures and such, though.

Missouri has had medical Marijuana? Seriously how did I miss this?

DaFace
01-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Missouri has had medical Marijuana? Seriously how did I miss this?

Are you high right now or something? I'm from Colorado.

crispystl420
01-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Are you high right now or something? I'm from Colorado.

No I'm drinking that's probably the problem. Actually I got yours and Screwed Stoned posts mixed together.

DaFace
01-21-2012, 06:16 PM
No I'm drinking that's probably the problem. Actually I got yours and Screwed Stoned posts mixed together.

Ah. That's acceptable. :)

crispystl420
01-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Ah. That's acceptable. :)

If weed was legal I wouldn't be drinking lol