PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Clash of the Sitcoms: Round 1, Heat 13.

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 10:24 AM
This one should generate some discussion. Wide variety of shows.

Chiefnj2
01-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Fawlty Towers - Never watched.
All in the Family - Classic, should make the final 4.
Arrested Development - Tried to watch a few times, mildly entertaining but it felt like I was missing lots of inside jokes.
Modern Family - one of the funniest shows on tv now, although a bit predictable.
ALF - Why is this on the list?

Dartgod
01-18-2012, 10:30 AM
All in the Family - groundbreaking comedy
Modern Family - Started watching this in season 2, hilarious
Alf - Stupid premise, but it was just damn funny.

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 10:32 AM
I could only vote for two in this heat.

#1. Arrested Development. I'd vote for it even if the only gag was Buster getting out of control when they would make cursing jokes. The rest of it is gravy.

#2. ALF. Great show. It's easy to dismiss it since the star is a puppet, but great show.

Didn't make the cut.

#3. Fawlty Towers. I hear good things about it, but I'm not sure I've ever seen an episode. Maybe long ago, too long to remember.

#4. All in the Family. I recognize that it was a great social tool and tackled interesting topics, but I'm not entertained by yelling and arguing.

#5. Modern Family. Never seen it, barely heard of it.

blaise
01-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Fawlty Towers is awesome

SNR
01-18-2012, 10:33 AM
God damn it.

This is a problem I have with these polls. Too many people have never seen the really great shows.

Fawlty Towers getting pushed out of the next round by ALF, Modern Family, and even Arrested Development is a crime against humanity.

SNR
01-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Rain Man, question:

Are Brit comedies going on here? If so, which ones? The Young Ones? Blackadder? Slings and Arrows?

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Rain Man, question:

Are Brit comedies going on here? If so, which ones? The Young Ones? Blackadder? Slings and Arrows?

It was whichever ones were nominated. Off the top of my head, I think Fawlty Towers and the British version of the Office were the only ones. I eliminated Benny Hill since it was sketch comedy and not a sitcom.

And if it makes you feel any better, I feel terribly guilty about not watching enough Fawlty Towers to vote for it.

SNR
01-18-2012, 10:41 AM
It was whichever ones were nominated. Off the top of my head, I think Fawlty Towers and the British version of the Office were the only ones. I eliminated Benny Hill since it was sketch comedy and not a sitcom.

And if it makes you feel any better, I feel terribly guilty about not watching enough Fawlty Towers to vote for it.Nominating? When did this happen?

Garrrrgggh!!!!

blaise
01-18-2012, 10:41 AM
The best thing people seem to say about All in the Family is that it was groundbreaking. I never thought it was particularly funny, though.

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Nominating? When did this happen?

Garrrrgggh!!!!

Big thread. Anyone who was anyone was there. U2 did a show during the intermission.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255021&highlight=sitcom

BigMeatballDave
01-18-2012, 10:49 AM
I could only vote for two in this heat.

#1. Arrested Development. I'd vote for it even if the only gag was Buster getting out of control when they would make cursing jokes. The rest of it is gravy.

#2. ALF. Great show. It's easy to dismiss it since the star is a puppet, but great show.

Didn't make the cut.

#3. Fawlty Towers. I hear good things about it, but I'm not sure I've ever seen an episode. Maybe long ago, too long to remember.

#4. All in the Family. I recognize that it was a great social tool and tackled interesting topics, but I'm not entertained by yelling and arguing.

#5. Never seen it, barely heard of it.

Modern Family is one of my favorites. Hilarious.

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2012, 10:49 AM
The only reason ad shouldn't win the whole thing was because how long it was on air. Other than that its one of the funniest shows ever.

Bump
01-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Arrested Development is one of the greatest shows of all time for any genre or era.

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 10:52 AM
It's interesting how Arrested Development has such devoted fans, and yet it's in fourth place right now. Maybe it really is a niche show.

SNR
01-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Big thread. Anyone who was anyone was there. U2 did a show during the intermission.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255021&highlight=sitcomFour hours' worth of nominating? That thread had the half-life of a human-engineered periodic element.

blaise
01-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Alf is in 3rd place. Sheesh.

Micjones
01-18-2012, 10:54 AM
All in the Family by far and away.

Micjones

I'm the one who suggested it.
And I didn't even vote for it. Haha...

That show was always kinda "meh" to me.

mikey23545
Fawlty Towers is awesome

Awesome is too mild an adjective.

One of the best sitcoms ever...

SNR
01-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Where are your grits, Rain Man? I need to go kiss them.

mikey23545
01-18-2012, 10:56 AM
God damn it.

This is a problem I have with these polls. Too many people have never seen the really great shows.

Fawlty Towers getting pushed out of the next round by ALF, Modern Family, and even Arrested Development is a crime against humanity.

If it happens this poll is dead to me.

Dartgod
01-18-2012, 10:57 AM
The best thing people seem to say about All in the Family is that it was groundbreaking. I never thought it was particularly funny, though.

All in the Family was funny.

There, it's been said.

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 10:57 AM

Yeah, definitely should be higher.

Reaper16
01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
It's interesting how Arrested Development has such devoted fans, and yet it's in fourth place right now. Maybe it really is a niche show.
It isn't at all interesting. People don't watch good shows. It seems that quality is not compatible with commercial success.

Which, of course, means that popularity polls such as this competition are almost completely without value.

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Four hours' worth of nominating? That thread had the half-life of a human-engineered periodic element.

I didn't want it to jump the shark. It was a pretty shrewd move in the long run, I think.

Deberg_1990
01-18-2012, 10:59 AM

i guess ill vote for it based on that, but i was too young to "get" it, and now it just seems stale and filled with dated social issues.

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 11:01 AM
It isn't at all interesting. People don't watch good shows. It seems that quality is not compatible with commercial success.

Which, of course, means that popularity polls such as this competition are almost completely without value.

And yet some quality shows do very well. Why do some high-quality shows like Cheers, Frasier, The Office, etc., become very successful, while other high-quality shows like Arrested Development and Archer struggle for an audience?

The same can be said of low-quality shows. Diff'rent Strokes was on the air until they were all arrested or killed, for crying out loud. Why?

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 11:03 AM
All in the Family bothered me as a child. I watched it and it had some funny stuff, but in the long run there was too much hostility for me to watch. I was a sensitive soul, I guess.

blaise
01-18-2012, 11:08 AM
All in the Family bothered me as a child. I watched it and it had some funny stuff, but in the long run there was too much hostility for me to watch. I was a sensitive soul, I guess.

They just seemed so miserable. It was like going to some old person's house where there was nothing fun to do. And Meathead and Gloria just whined.

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 11:11 AM
They just seemed so miserable. It was like going to some old person's house where there was nothing fun to do. And Meathead and Gloria just whined.

Good description.

patteeu
01-18-2012, 11:11 AM
And yet some quality shows do very well. Why do some high-quality shows like Cheers, Frasier, The Office, etc., become very successful, while other high-quality shows like Arrested Development and Archer struggle for an audience?

Broadcast TV versus Cable TV maybe?

thurman merman
01-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Arrested Development is the greatest show of all time for any genre or era.

fixed your post

thurman merman
01-18-2012, 11:15 AM

The only reason anybody could possibly not vote for it is if they haven't seen it. I dare everyone in this thread to watch the first couple of episodes ( it's on netflix instant) and not get hooked.

patteeu
01-18-2012, 11:17 AM
All in the Family is the only one of these shows I've seen much of and I wasn't a very big fan.

I've only seen Modern Family a few times and it made me laugh quite a bit so it gets my only vote this heat.

Fawlty Towers? Never heard of it.

I've heard of Arrested Development, but I can't cast a vote on hearsay alone.

Maybe it was a mistake and maybe not, but I successfully avoided Alf for four full seasons and any syndication it achieved. The Dark Crystal is the only muppet show I ever enjoyed.

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Broadcast TV versus Cable TV maybe?

That's certainly possible now that you mention it. But even Cheers almost died its first season.

Who first aired Arrested Development? I don't recall.

thurman merman
01-18-2012, 11:23 AM
That's certainly possible now that you mention it. But even Cheers almost died its first season.

Who first aired Arrested Development? I don't recall.

I think it was on FOX, actually.

blaise
01-18-2012, 11:26 AM
When they first aired AD it seemed like the marketing didn't really do it any favors. It was hard for people to know when it was on, what it was about. The commercials seemed like a bunch of random snippets. It gave too much room for people who say, "What the hell is that?" to do something else.
And I think they almost positioned it as a niche show when they marketed it, so it got treated that way by viewers. Plus people are pretty dumb. Look how long shows like According to Jim stay on the air.

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-18-2012, 11:28 AM
I've never heard of two of those.

kc rush
01-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Arrested Development, Modern Family, Fawlty Towers

Pitt Gorilla
01-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Arrested Development is one of the greatest shows of all time for any genre or era.This is correct.

Pitt Gorilla
01-18-2012, 11:51 AM
I didn't want it to jump the shark. It was a pretty shrewd move in the long run, I think.If you watched Arrested Development, you'd know how funny your first line really is.

Deberg_1990
01-18-2012, 11:52 AM
When they first aired AD it seemed like the marketing didn't really do it any favors. It was hard for people to know when it was on, what it was about. The commercials seemed like a bunch of random snippets. It gave too much room for people who say, "What the hell is that?" to do something else.
And I think they almost positioned it as a niche show when they marketed it, so it got treated that way by viewers. Plus people are pretty dumb. Look how long shows like According to Jim stay on the air.

People dont get attracted to a show initially that doesnt have a gimmick, high concept or hook.

Its all marketing.

trndobrd
01-18-2012, 11:54 AM

"The Germans" is one of the funniest episodes. Starts off with Basil Fawlty (the hotel owner) visiting his wife in the hospital, then dealing with permanent hotel resident the Major.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IngEMj4krpA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A short clip of Basil coming unglued when his car won't start.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mv0onXhyLlE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaKCMan AP
01-18-2012, 12:34 PM
People who don't vote for Modern Family are not Awesome. Best show currently on tv.

Shag
01-18-2012, 12:49 PM
If Arrested Development doesn't win this whole thing, I call shenanigans. Modern Family is a fantastic show, too - probably my favorite comedy since AD...

MoreLemonPledge
01-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Arrested Development is the greatest sitcom of all time. It's incredibly self-referential, but that just makes the experience that much richer. You feel like you're in on an incredible joke that no one else knows about.

whoman69
01-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Call me goofy, I like Alf.

Baby Lee
01-18-2012, 01:52 PM

It was a very funny show, particularly in the early years. The arguments were well written, and were funnier for the voices of the four principals.

AD is absolutely a niche show, and also absolutely deserving of its devoted fans. Its humor was dense and often relied on comprehensive knowledge of both the show and pop culture in general. Everything was a reference on top of a reference on top of a reference. They referenced things from the acturs past IRL, or prior characters they played on other shows. Heck some jokes didn't even reveal themselves AS jokes until later plot developments made them jokes.
For instance, Buster would lose his arm to a seal on the loose in the marina [a loose seal that is a pun on him mother Lucille's name]. This would keep him out of military service said mom signed him up for. Shortly before losing said arm, he's sitting on a park bench advertising Army Officer Training. Only, the way he's sitting all you see is 'Arm . . Off.'

The two biggest Sunday brunch places in town were Skip Church and Miss Temple.

Here's a sampling

http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2009/12/08/the-best-arrested-development-jokes-you-never-got/

Detoxing
01-18-2012, 01:55 PM
There should be more love for ALF

SLAG
01-18-2012, 02:41 PM
There should be more love for ALF

While I voted for ALF and Modern Family and Arrested Development
I am going to be sad to see MF lose in the first round to alf -

NJChiefsFan
01-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Fawlty Towers - Never watched.
All in the Family - Classic, should make the final 4.
Arrested Development - Tried to watch a few times, mildly entertaining but it felt like I was missing lots of inside jokes.
Modern Family - one of the funniest shows on tv now, although a bit predictable.
ALF - Why is this on the list?

You have to watch Arrested Development from the beginning.

NJChiefsFan
01-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Arrested Development is the greatest sitcom of all time. It's incredibly self-referential, but that just makes the experience that much richer. You feel like you're in on an incredible joke that no one else knows about.

If Arrested Development doesn't win this whole thing, I call shenanigans. Modern Family is a fantastic show, too - probably my favorite comedy since AD...

Yes and yes.

Buck
01-18-2012, 05:17 PM
I wish it was balls.

NJChiefsFan
01-18-2012, 05:36 PM
A little bit of my favorite character from Arrested Development, although there are so many awesome characters. For those that haven't seen the show, Tobias is married and hasn't come out as being gay.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kTCkffi-NuE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kTCkffi-NuE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5posU08HjXg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5posU08HjXg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Reaper16
01-18-2012, 05:37 PM
I wish it was balls.
Bees?

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 05:40 PM
While I voted for ALF and Modern Family and Arrested Development
I am going to be sad to see MF lose in the first round to alf -

Modern Family and ALF are duking it out like a Melmakian and a tabby. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top.

Buck
01-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Bees?

Beads.

Zebedee DuBois
01-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Farty Towels was a great vehicle for John Cleese to showcase his physical comedy and wonderful comedic timing.
All in the Family allowed liberals to laugh at Archie and conservatives to laugh at Meathead ... and they were both making valid points.

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Okay, ALF is out by a cat's whisker, and when staying in Fawlty Towers, don't mention the poll.

Moving on are All in the Family, Arrested Development, and Modern Family.

blaise
01-18-2012, 09:59 PM
My Fawlty Towers DVD says the character of Basil was based on an actual innkeeper. Some of the Monty Python cast stayed there and found the guy to be a kook. Most changed hotels but Cleese stayed because he supposedly just couldn't believe the guy was actually running a hotel and seemed to openly hate the guests.

WV
01-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Can't stand Arrested Developement.

KC Tattoo
01-19-2012, 12:08 AM
I should vote for Alf, but I don't see it making it in the finals. This is a weak sauce group.

SLAG
01-19-2012, 12:11 AM
I should vote for Alf, but I don't see it making it in the finals. This is a weak sauce group.

Alf Lost already -

Rainman closed the polls

thurman merman
01-19-2012, 11:21 AM
It was a very funny show, particularly in the early years. The arguments were well written, and were funnier for the voices of the four principals.

AD is absolutely a niche show, and also absolutely deserving of its devoted fans. Its humor was dense and often relied on comprehensive knowledge of both the show and pop culture in general. Everything was a reference on top of a reference on top of a reference. They referenced things from the acturs past IRL, or prior characters they played on other shows. Heck some jokes didn't even reveal themselves AS jokes until later plot developments made them jokes.
For instance, Buster would lose his arm to a seal on the loose in the marina [a loose seal that is a pun on him mother Lucille's name]. This would keep him out of military service said mom signed him up for. Shortly before losing said arm, he's sitting on a park bench advertising Army Officer Training. Only, the way he's sitting all you see is 'Arm . . Off.'

The two biggest Sunday brunch places in town were Skip Church and Miss Temple.

Here's a sampling

http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2009/12/08/the-best-arrested-development-jokes-you-never-got/

That looks awesome. I haven't finished the series yet (I'm on season 2 right now) so I will read the whole thing after I'm done. Don't wanna spoil any suprises.

DJJasonp
01-19-2012, 01:35 PM
This is a loaded heat.

Fawlty Towers and JOhn Cleese (and Palin too if I recall correctly)....instant classic!