PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Food for thought...

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Drew Brees third year as starter:

Cmp: 65.5%
Yds: 3159
TD: 27
Int: 7

After lackluster 4th year given up on by fanbase and...

Matt Cassel third year as starter:

Cmp: 58.2%
Yds: 3116

:hmmm:

Mr_Tomahawk
01-18-2012, 12:34 PM

Who was his running back that year...?

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Who was his running back that year...?

Jamaal Charles is a chump I guess

blaise
01-18-2012, 12:36 PM
No.

Mr_Tomahawk
01-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Jamaal Charles is a chump I guess

No.

Drew Brees didn't have Jamaal Charles.

Count Alex's Wins
So in Drew Brees "lackluster" 4th year, he was 3576/64.6/24/15/89.2

And you want to compare that to Cassel's 1713/59.5/10/9/76.6

Yes, this is valid.

L.A. Chieffan
No.

blaise...how thoughtful of you.

Fish
01-18-2012, 12:38 PM
This food tastes like shit.

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2012, 12:38 PM

Yes, this is valid.

He was given up on. Charger fans drove him out with pitchforks

DaKCMan AP
01-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Stick to food and give up thought.

Count Alex's Wins
I'm pretty sure it had a lot more to do with his injury and Philip Rivers.

L.A. Chieffan

Yes, this is valid.

also if you average it out for an entire full season they would be very comparable.

Completely valid, THANKS GC!

Guru
01-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Cassel can't be gone soon enough

blaise
01-18-2012, 12:40 PM
We never really saw what Croyle could do.

ChiefsNow
01-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Does food for thought = shit for brains?

jk

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty sure it had a lot more to do with his injury and Philip Rivers.

Matt Cassel was also injured and fan favorite Stanzi waits in the wings...

The comparisons keep coming! Very eerie

Saulbadguy
01-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Mistletoe alert!!!

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Mistletoe alert!!!

oh saul dont be a grinch

BossChief
01-18-2012, 12:51 PM
I can say this about Matt Cassel and I'm sure nobody has brought it up.

This will be the first time in his tenure as a Chief he will go into camp with real competition. There is no way this team doesnt re-sign Orton or draft some more competition for Matt.

Sometimes that brings out the best in players.

It's a thought I felt would be worth throwing out there even though I don't nessesarily agree with it.

The dude has never won an open quarterback competition.

BossChief
01-18-2012, 12:51 PM

This will be the first time in his tenure as a Chief he will go into camp with real competition. There is no way this team doesnt re-sign Orton or draft some more competition for Matt.

It's a thought I felt would be worth throwing out there even though I don't nessesarily agree with it.

SPchief
01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Bring back Grbac!

Guru
01-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Please don't say that again Bosschief

milkman
01-18-2012, 12:55 PM
AJ Smith, Marty and the Charger fans were ready to run Brees out on a rail after his third season.

After his fourth season, the organization decided to move on in spite of the fact that Brees had raised the level fo his game and shown the talent to be the franchise QB, because he suffered a shoulder injury that they feared he would not be able to come back from.

Stats mean jack, but if you do use them, pay close attention to 65+% vs. 58+%.

Count Alex's Wins
01-18-2012, 12:56 PM
There is no way this team doesnt re-sign Orton or draft some more competition for Matt.

Sorry, I disagree entirely.

I think Orton would have been signed already if he was going to be on this roster.

The fact there has been zero indication that he's going to be back is what has me so pissed off lately.

BossChief
01-18-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure they can sign him yet.

League year starts in march.

suds79
01-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Are those stats suppose to be comparable?

vs

That's a pretty big difference if you look at completion percentages across the league.

18 QBs completed more than 60% this year. (it's essentially the benchmark)

19-33 were below that.

Guru
01-18-2012, 01:03 PM
stop double posting

Count Alex's Wins
01-18-2012, 01:05 PM

:facepalm:

We'll, I'll hold out a small measure of hope, but there's been zero indication they want to resign him, and several reports that it's still Cassel's job.

Frosty
01-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Stick to food and give up thought.

Stick to thought and give up food. That way, in about a month, this stupid act will stop.

:#

DJ's left nut
01-18-2012, 01:08 PM

He won't this year, either.

There will be no open QB competition. They may pay lip-service to the position, but Pioli will never threaten his pet QB.

BigMeatballDave
01-18-2012, 01:10 PM
LMAO

Guru
01-18-2012, 01:11 PM

There will be no open QB competition. They may pay lip-service to the position, but Pioli will never threaten his pet QB.

Kind of like Dr. Evil with his cat.

BossChief
01-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Under the circumstances, thats what they have to say.

We only have 2 quarterbacks under contract.

the Talking Can
01-18-2012, 01:12 PM
I can say this about Matt Cassel he really sucks $#!#@

DJ's left nut
01-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Under the circumstances, thats what they have to say.

We only have 2 quarterbacks under contract.

At best, they'll bring in a veteran backup to 'complement' Cassel next season.

They won't be bringing in anyone to legitimately compete with him. They may try to couch it as such, but much like watching Stanzi outplay the !@#$ out of Cassel last fall, there's no way the results on the field will actually put Cassel on the pine.

He's our starter in 2012. He's too cheap and Pioli has too much invested in his success to cut bait. Embrace the horror.

BossChief
01-18-2012, 01:15 PM

I don't buy into that.

Don't forget that this is a business and he needs to sell tickets.

Count Alex's Wins
01-18-2012, 01:17 PM
They don't have to bring in a veteran backup.

Such a move would threaten Cassel, and we wouldn't want that.

I'm sure they'll make Stanzi #2 under the guise of "we want to develop him" and they'll have some loser holding the clipboard at #3.

milkman
01-18-2012, 01:19 PM

Since Orton was on the Chiefs roster at the end of the season, they don't have to wait til March to negotiate with him.

Technically, until the new league year starts, he's still under contract with the Chiefs, and as such, the Chiefs can, if they choose, negotiate a new deal at any time.

BossChief
01-18-2012, 01:23 PM
At best, they'll bring in a veteran backup to 'complement' Cassel next season.

They won't be bringing in anyone to legitimately compete with him. They may try to couch it as such, but much like watching Stanzi outplay the !@#$ out of Cassel last fall, there's no way the results on the field will actually put Cassel on the pine.

He's our starter in 2012. He's too cheap and Pioli has too much invested in his success to cut bait. Embrace the horror.

Pioli will be looking to hedge his bet.

He saw what we all saw, a team that should have won it's last 3 straight (including against the division champ and defending NFL champs) with another quarterback.

At the very least, we have to bring in another quarterback to round out three for the 53 man roster.

DJ's left nut
01-18-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't buy into that.

Don't forget that this is a business and he needs to sell tickets.

Or spend less money.

Filling that QB position for $5 million instead of $12 million keeps $7 million in Clark's checkbook.

So let's say that bringing Cassel back as a starter costs the Chiefs 10,000 tickets sold per game (and honestly, I think that's being fairly aggressive). That's 80,000 tickets difference over the course of the season. 'Competition' for Cassel isn't going to sell season tickets, so the 10 game season ticket passes are unlikely to change a great deal unless someone like Manning is brought in.

The average Chiefs ticket costs about $90 - or right at $7.2 million in ticket revenue; roughly the same difference in quarterback costs.

Granted, I'm not taking concessions into account and that's a fair point, but after all is said and done, teams don't make massive amounts of money of concessions, not per marginal ticket sold anyway, especially given the tailgate atmosphere at Arrowhead.

You can try to argue that 'competition' wouldn't cost an extra $7 million, but if not, the ticket buyers aren't going to give a shit. Just bringing in someone like Jason Campbell to compete with Cassel isn't going to make a great difference in ticket sales at all. If they want to actually move the needle for attendance, it's absolutely going to take a bolder move than that.

The 'business side' of it suggests that Cassel will absolutely be our starter next season and they'll go ahead and sell Romeo to the ticket-buying public.

dirk digler
01-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Since Orton was on the Chiefs roster at the end of the season, they don't have to wait til March to negotiate with him.

Technically, until the new league year starts, he's still under contract with the Chiefs, and as such, the Chiefs can, if they choose, negotiate a new deal at any time.

Yep I was about to post that. Of course both sides have to be willing.

BossChief
01-18-2012, 01:30 PM

And none of us know if that's taking place or not, currently.

Of all the extensions we have signed over the last year and a half, NONE of them we made public until they were finalized.

They could be talking to his agent right now for all we know, but I'm sure that his agent will want to hit the open market to find out what other teams are interested and at what level they are interested in him at.

If he isn't re-signed, we will take a quarterback sometime in the first three rounds or make a move for Peyton.

Count Alex's Wins
01-18-2012, 01:32 PM

My worst fears, confirmed.

The Bad Guy
01-18-2012, 01:39 PM
You're really jumped the shark.

BossChief
01-18-2012, 01:40 PM

My worst fears, confirmed.

That's just dumb.

Sorry.

1) both sides have to be willing to negotiate. Any word from his agent?
2) there is no way of telling if we are or aren't doing so right now.
3) I'd rather have a drafted rookie filling that 3rd quarterback spot, anyway.

htismaqe
01-18-2012, 01:42 PM
And none of us know if that's taking place or not, currently.

Of all the extensions we have signed over the last year and a half, NONE of them we made public until they were finalized.

They could be talking to his agent right now for all we know, but I'm sure that his agent will want to hit the open market to find out what other teams are interested and at what level they are interested in him at.

If he isn't re-signed, we will take a quarterback sometime in the first three rounds or make a move for Peyton.

Well, they could have been negotiating with him but now they're busy responding to Kent Babb's article.

All the more reason to skip the bullshit and just build a football team.

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2012, 02:16 PM
I see some very strong comparisons is all. Brees was blamed for a lot of problems in sd

Coogs
01-18-2012, 02:19 PM
3) I'd rather have a drafted rookie filling that 3rd quarterback spot, anyway.

Orton
Stanzi
rookie

If there is no trade up for one of the big two, then this is the scenario I would want.

DJ's left nut
01-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Orton
Stanzi
rookie

If there is no trade up for one of the big two, then this is the scenario I would want.

Kellen Moore sure seems like a nice fit for that 'token 3rd QB that we can sell to the fans that won't bitch when he doesn't play' role, doesn't he?

keg in kc
01-18-2012, 02:24 PM
And this is why you don't look at stats in a vacuum.

ChiefAshhole20
01-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Brees was younger and actually played college ball.
And Matt Cassel is Matt Cassel.

whoman69
01-18-2012, 07:27 PM

Rewrite history much? Brees was given up on because there were grave doubts he could come back from a serious shoulder injury. The Chargers had a young Phillip Rivers waiting in the wings and decided to go with him.

Brees was not lackluster in his 4th year. They were 9-7 and finished 3rd in the AFC in scoring. Brees was 3rd in passes completed, 9th in passing yards, and 4th in TD passes with 24. The Chargers ranked 5th in the NFL in offense.

Cassel's 4th year wasn't lackluster, it was horrible. The Chiefs were 4-5 with the easiest part of their schedule behind them when Cassel went down. The Chiefs ranked 27th in offense, 31st in scoring, 25th in passing yards, and looked like shit the whole year. Cassel had games with 119 yards on 36 pass attempts, followed by a 133 yard effort and 3 other games under 200 yards including his final game where he didn't even hit 100 yards in his last game before being injured in the late 4th quarter.

Make up another story, maybe about how the Japanese were going to surrender even if the big bad United States didn't drop the bomb. Be sure to file it in the fiction section.

el borracho
01-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Pioli will be looking to hedge his bet.

He saw what we all saw, a team that should have won it's last 3 straight (including against the division champ and defending NFL champs) with another quarterback.

At the very least, we have to bring in another quarterback to round out three for the 53 man roster.

The Chiefs are not actually obligated to carry three QBs, although it is the standard practice. I'm not even sure it is the best use of a limited roster. By the time you get to your third QB, you've essentially lost the season.

whoman69
01-18-2012, 07:54 PM
The Chiefs are not actually obligated to carry three QBs, although it is the standard practice. I'm not even sure it is the best use of a limited roster. By the time you get to your third QB, you've essentially lost the season.

Yup, it was over for the Texans. We didn't even have two legit QBs on the roster this year. If I was being unkind I would say we didn't have any. Ok, I'm unkind.

Buck
01-18-2012, 08:03 PM
If by Lackluster you mean, he tore his labrum and by "given up on by the fanbase" you mean, the front office had to choose between an injured Brees, or the guy that was picked 4th in the draft that was being groomed to be the franchise quarterback, so they went with Rivers, then I agree with you.

whoman69
01-18-2012, 08:31 PM
http://desertpeace.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/rewriting-history.jpg?w=477&h=288

Simply Red
01-18-2012, 08:39 PM
blaise...how thoughtful of you.

:LOL: that's good shit right there.

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Just goes to show that the theory does hold a little water

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2012, 08:41 PM
:LOL: that's good shit right there.

Lime?

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2012, 08:42 PM
If by Lackluster you mean, he tore his labrum and by "given up on by the fanbase" you mean, the front office had to choose between an injured Brees, or the guy that was picked 4th in the draft that was being groomed to be the franchise quarterback, so they went with Rivers, then I agree with you.

Sure dude don't act like I don't know what i'm talking about. The chargers are my home team too.

Simply Red
01-18-2012, 08:43 PM
I can't cope with this stupid "bitchee" !

milkman
01-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Sure dude don't act like I don't know what i'm talking about. The chargers are my home team too.

The problem is, you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

L.A. Chieffan
01-18-2012, 08:58 PM
I have many silent supporters mr. milkman. I am expressing the voice of all the real fans. hide yo children, we're out there.

lewdog
01-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Was LA Chieffan part of the douche of the year poll?

Three7s
01-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Was LA Chieffan part of the douche of the year poll?
If he wasn't, it was because it wouldn't have been a competition.

RippedmyFlesh
01-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Orton to me is an average QB.
Yet the last 3 games showed how much better we are with average.
After watching cassll and palko orton looked like rogers compared to them.

Fruit Ninja
01-19-2012, 01:49 AM
His soul purpose on this forum is to troll. Its all he's done for a while now. Dont take what he says seriously. No one is that idiotic to believe the shit he's saying. NO ONE.

Guru
01-19-2012, 01:57 AM
Don't feed the troll. Thats all this is.

Simply Red
01-19-2012, 02:44 AM
L.A. Chieffan means exactly opposite of what he types, it's briiliant.

DaKCMan AP
01-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Just goes to show that the theory does hold a little water

No.

I have many silent supporters mr. milkman. I am expressing the voice of all the real fans. hide yo children, we're out there.

No.

L.A. Chieffan means exactly opposite of what he types, it's briiliant.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTupajkZNk-GcVKmCraODGJxRGpyN8cIFEZFbrGFg27QlescPQJ8M2iDh6-

htismaqe
01-19-2012, 07:56 AM

TJ Yates would like a word with you.

Manila-Chief
01-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Orton to me is an average QB.
Yet the last 3 games showed how much better we are with average.
After watching cassll and palko orton looked like rogers compared to them.

Very much THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manila-Chief
01-19-2012, 09:58 AM
They don't have to bring in a veteran backup.

Such a move would threaten Cassel, and we wouldn't want that.

I'm sure they'll make Stanzi #2 under the guise of "we want to develop him" and they'll have some loser holding the clipboard at #3.

This!

Plus, Romeo has almost come out and said Orton will not return because he does not want a QB controversy. Thus, resigning Orton will introduce competition ... competition leads to controversy ... thus, no real backup QB.

I think RAC believes the QB controversy he had in Cleveland contributed to his being fired. First thing he did as interim coach was install Orton and said no competition. Pioli has at the very least hinted at the fact that Orton will not be back ... or to say it more forceful Cassel is the QB in both of their plans.

Clay (and a few others in the thread) are VERY correct. We are stuck with Cassel. Pioli will not use a high draft pick on a QB (too many other needs) ... he thinks Tom Brady can be found in every draft in the 7th. round. He will not waste a pick to trade for another QB. He would not even sign Peyton, even if he were a FA (no draft picks) and came cheap. His pride is at stake with Cassel. It could be his downfall.

I see this team as mediocre at best. Yes, we may win the pitiful AFCW, but never go very far, because Pioli will not secure the talent to win consistently. As evidence, look at all the holes we had this year compared to all the cap room that was unused.

el borracho
01-19-2012, 10:38 AM
TJ Yates would like a word with you.

Well, I guess Yates did fairly well, although I would say he is the exception, not the rule. I would also say that, if Schaub were playing, the Texans would be on their way to the Super Bowl so, in that respect, yes, Yates wasted the Texans season.

Pasta Giant Meatball
01-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Well, I guess Yates did fairly well, although I would say he is the exception, not the rule. I would also say that, if Schaub were playing, the Texans would be on their way to the Super Bowl so, in that respect, yes, Yates wasted the Texans season.

They would have beat Baltimore with a competent QB.

htismaqe
01-19-2012, 12:39 PM
They would have beat Baltimore with a competent QB.

They wouldn't have even been PLAYING the Ravens without a competent QB.

Simply Red
02-08-2012, 08:11 PM

LA Chieffan, if you don't shut your fucking mouth, I will kill you.

Now, listen.

I have a lunch meeting at Hubert's in 20 minutes with Ronald Harrison.

JCharles1981
02-09-2012, 01:09 AM
Considering that Drew Brees has a Superbowl ring, and the fact that the Chargers' only shot at a ring was when they got blown out by the 49ers in 1995, I'd say they were stupid for getting rid of Brees a few years ago. But, their offensive line could have sucked too when Brees was with the team.

We never really saw what Croyle could do.

He never stayed healthy long enough to prove himself worthy of being a franchise QB. So, that argument is invalid.

Fruit Ninja
02-09-2012, 01:30 AM
LAChiefan isnt a Cassel fan. He just likes to hella troll. I dont see how most people still dont get it lol

Simply Red
02-09-2012, 01:32 AM
it's not me, champ, it's the others. I know LA Chieffan like a motherfucker.