PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Clash of the Sitcoms: Round 1, Heat 15.

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 09:24 PM
I think this is going to be a tough heat.

LiveSteam
01-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Newhart was the best.

Hose-er

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 09:31 PM
I didn't despise any of these, but my top choices are relatively clear.

#1 - Newhart by a mile. Bob was great and Joanna looked good in a sweater, but this is the series that brought us Larry, Darryl, and that third brother whose name I can't remember.

#2 - Two and a Half Men. Is it cheap? Yeah. Is it sleazy? Yeah. But it's funny and Charlie Sheen was made for the role. It's going to be a shame when he kills himself.

#3 - Cybill. It may not be the most memorable show, but it was good in its day. Cybill was so-so, but she had an acerbic friend that I really enjoyed.

Didn't make the cut.

#4 - Mad About You. I didn't watch it much. It seemed kind of funny, but at the same time it was one of the early leaders in the offputting "incompetent husband who is continually shown up by his competent wife" mythology that is now so prevalent in our society.

#5 - Roseanne. I've only seen a few episodes. It seems like it was reasonably funny, but I'm not the target market of a lot of the humor.

LiveSteam
01-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Im most shocked by how many shows you have listed,that I have never heard of.

KC Tattoo
01-18-2012, 09:48 PM
"Hi. I'm Larry & this is my brother Darryl and this is my other brother Darryl"

WV
01-18-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm too lazy to look...have we had Taxi and Night Court yet??

blaise
01-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Who nominated Cybill?

LiveSteam
01-18-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm too lazy to look...have we had Taxi and Night Court yet??

Yes I think so

KcMizzou
01-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Roseanne was pretty ground breaking, for it's time.

LiveSteam
01-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Roseanne was pretty ground breaking, for it's time.

I voted Roseann & Newhart. Newhart beats out Roseann for me

Bobs starting to pull away I see

KcMizzou
01-18-2012, 10:06 PM
I voted Roseann & Newhart. Newhart beats out Roseann for meSame.

LiveSteam
01-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Didnt the Bob and Doug McKenzie get they're start on the Newhart show?

KcMizzou
01-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Screw "Two and a Half Men".

(Like Clay on a Friday night! amiright? JK GC)

blaise
01-18-2012, 10:17 PM

I think they were SCTV.

Rain Man
01-18-2012, 10:26 PM
I think they were SCTV.

yeah, I don't think they were on Newhart. However, there was a mayor and town councilman who were somewhat similar in style.

mikey23545
01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Any Newhart show gets an automatic vote from me.

blaise
01-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Dave Thomas (Doug McKenzie) was on a show with Newhart's Tom Poston, though. They were both on Grace Under Fire

Rooster
01-18-2012, 10:50 PM

No

patteeu
01-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Newhart and Roseanne are head and shoulders above all of the competition in this heat as far as I'm concerned.

I gave Mad About You a luke warm vote because it made me laugh a few times. It helps that I was a newlywed around the same time that this show about newlyweds was on.

I loved Cybill in Moonlighting, but didn't really care for Cybill in Cybill the few times I flipped past it. In fairness, I didn't really give her much of a chance.

I've seen a couple dozen episodes of Two and a Half Men and that's way too much. It hasn't really grown on me at all.

BigMeatballDave
01-19-2012, 01:41 AM
I think Newhart had the best Finale of any Sitcom I've ever seen.

Chiefnj2
01-19-2012, 06:03 AM
Mad About You - I used to watch the show. I'm not sure why. I can't quite recall anything funny about it now.
Newhart - Was entertaining, but definitely jumped the shark toward the end.
Roseanne - Funny. I haven't seen any recently, so I'm not sure if it aged well.
Two & a half and Cybil - never watched.

Amnorix
01-19-2012, 06:14 AM
Newhart was awesome, of course, and Mad About You made the cut. I have never been a fan of anything Roseanne ever did, really. The others I never watched.

Deberg_1990
01-19-2012, 06:14 AM
Roseanne gets a bad rap because of "Roseanne" the person and Tom Arnold etc.....but for about 4 or 5 years before Tom showed up, it was really, really good. Probably one of the best sitcoms depicting working class people ever.

Hydrae
01-19-2012, 06:37 AM
I didn't despise any of these, but my top choices are relatively clear.

#1 - Newhart by a mile. Bob was great and Joanna looked good in a sweater, but this is the series that brought us Larry, Darryl, and that third brother whose name I can't remember.

#2 - Two and a Half Men. Is it cheap? Yeah. Is it sleazy? Yeah. But it's funny and Charlie Sheen was made for the role. It's going to be a shame when he kills himself.

#3 - Cybill. It may not be the most memorable show, but it was good in its day. Cybill was so-so, but she had an acerbic friend that I really enjoyed.

Didn't make the cut.

#4 - Mad About You. I didn't watch it much. It seemed kind of funny, but at the same time it was one of the early leaders in the offputting "incompetent husband who is continually shown up by his competent wife" mythology that is now so prevalent in our society.

#5 - Roseanne. I've only seen a few episodes. It seems like it was reasonably funny, but I'm not the target market of a lot of the humor.

I have maintained for a while now that this is due to the fact that the middle-class white male is the only segment of society that can be made fun of without offending someone. You can't pick on minorities unless you are a member of that minority and heaven forbid anyone put down a woman. The only thing left is the stupid white male. PC at it's finest or something.

blaise
01-19-2012, 07:13 AM
My wife and I used to watch Mad About You when it was in prime time. A month or so ago we started watching an episode, and we were like, "This is terrible. We watched this?"

Bwana
01-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Newhart was the best.

Hose-er

That was a funny show.

http://garyfurr.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/larry-darryl1.jpg

kc rush
01-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Newhart.

I'm a huge Bob Newhart fan.

Mad About You and Cybill were ok, but nothing to write home about (the daughter, Alicia Witt, was hot though).

I despise Roseanne and never thought Men was funny.

Chiefnj2
01-19-2012, 08:07 AM
I have a soft spot for sitcoms that continue on with traditions, like Roseanne always having a kick ass Halloween episode.

patteeu
01-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Roseanne gets a bad rap because of "Roseanne" the person and Tom Arnold etc.....but for about 4 or 5 years before Tom showed up, it was really, really good. Probably one of the best sitcoms depicting working class people ever.

I agree with this (that the first 4 or 5 years were really good) except that IMO Tom was a good addition and he first joined the show in season 2. Sara Gilbert was great as the younger daughter.

hometeam
01-19-2012, 11:02 AM
As a pre-teen/young teenager i watched roseanne what seems like every night

whoman69
01-19-2012, 12:03 PM
I much preferred the original Newhart.

Rain Man
01-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Okay, shuttin' her down. Moving on are Newhart, Roseanne, and Two and a Half Men.