PDA

View Full Version : Elections Did anyone hear about the Gingrich interview?

Chocolate Hog
01-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Supposedly ABC is going to interview an interview with his ex-wife which she claims will end his campaign.

DRUDGE REPORT

Marianne Gingrich has said she could end her ex-husband's career with a single interview.
Earlier this week, she sat before ABCNEWS cameras, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned... MORE... Developing...

She spoke to ABCNEWS reporter Brian Ross for two hours. Her explosive revelations are set to rock the campaign. But now a "civil war" has erupted inside of the network, an insider claims, on exactly when the confession will air!

ABCNEWS suits determined it would be "unethical" to run the Marianne Gingrich interview so close to the South Carolina Primary.

go bowe
01-18-2012, 11:38 PM
this should be interesting...

what could she have besides his cheating?

Chocolate Hog
01-18-2012, 11:44 PM
this should be interesting...

what could she have besides his cheating?

http://www.dcbureau.org/201112136815...stigation.html

Newt Gingrich, Marianne and the Arms Dealer:
A Buried FBI Investigation

By Joseph Trento, on December 13th, 2011

On October 5, Sarkis Soghanalian, once the world’s largest private arms dealer, died at 82. He had sold weapons to scores of dictators including Saddam Hussein, and he took many secrets with him to his grave. But one secret he did not take involves Newt Gingrich when he was Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. DCBureau has learned that Gingrich was at the center of a U.S. Justice Department criminal investigation in the late 1990s for a scheme to shake down the arms dealer for a $10 million bribe in exchange for Gingrich using his influence as Speaker to get the Iraq arms embargo lifted so Soghanalian could collect $54 million from Saddam Hussein’s regime for weapons he had delivered during the Iran-Iraq War.

Soghanalian was an FBI informant and was responsible for launching one of the most sensitive and secret investigations in FBI history involving the former Speaker and his second wife
Mrs. Gingrich made clear that throughout their marriage money was an issue. “We were so pressed he could not even set aside money for congressional retirement until 1991. Living on his paycheck was very, very hard… Newt was like a child when it came to handling money,” she says.

go bowe
01-18-2012, 11:51 PM
if they can prove this color newt unelectable...

poor newt...

Dave Lane
01-19-2012, 12:02 AM
You mean someone thought there was a chance he would be elected?

RINGLEADER
01-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Newt is saying it's nothing new.

Which is true -- except to 99.9% of the nation who will be hearing about it for the first time.

Chiefshrink
01-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Supposedly ABC is going to interview an interview with his ex-wife which she claims will end his campaign.

DRUDGE REPORT

Marianne Gingrich has said she could end her ex-husband's career with a single interview.
Earlier this week, she sat before ABCNEWS cameras, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned... MORE... Developing...

She spoke to ABCNEWS reporter Brian Ross for two hours. Her explosive revelations are set to rock the campaign. But now a "civil war" has erupted inside of the network, an insider claims, on exactly when the confession will air!

ABCNEWS suits determined it would be "unethical" to run the Marianne Gingrich interview so close to the South Carolina Primary.

ABCNEWS determined it would be "unethical" ????????????:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Too bad they don't put this much effort into "Fast and Furious". Oh but they do its just in the opposite direction of not talking about it.:thumb:

SNR
01-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Newt never bothered to pick up candy wrappers on the floor in the capitol building.

go bowe
01-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Newt is saying it's nothing new.

Which is true -- except to 99.9% of the nation who will be hearing about it for the first time.

that's right...

it should be enough to convince florida voters that he can't beat obama with that baggage, and he'll be toast...

a romney, paul, santorum race?

politics are always strange, but this is epic...

why oh why can't the republicans put up some decent candidates to challenge the democrats?

a liberal, an austrian and an evangelical...

hell, they should let arnold run!

BigChiefFan
01-19-2012, 01:02 AM
The fact that this crook is still walking amongst us is an admission to the stupidity of this country.

SLAG
01-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Rob Lowe Scooped it: He forgot to take out the trash and always left the toilet seat up... oh and he cheated on her with his current wife.

blaise
01-19-2012, 06:39 AM
He never had a chance to be President anyway.

La literatura
01-19-2012, 07:56 AM

Apparently, they changed their minds on this one. It will be aired tonight on Nightline, 10:30PM CST.

Deberg_1990
01-19-2012, 08:04 AM
why oh why can't the republicans put up some decent candidates to challenge the democrats?

I think theres alot of good people who could run for president but never do. They dont want to put their families and themselves under so much scrutiny.

Some people love the limelight, others choose to run away from it.

blaise
01-19-2012, 08:09 AM

Don't worry, after Obama's second term most people will automatically vote against any Democrat for the next 3 elections.

La literatura
01-19-2012, 08:46 AM
Mitt Romney is a great candidate. He's done everything right. Harvard Law School, Harvard Business School, successful corporate career, "saved" the Olympics, governor of an important state, competent speaker and debater.

dirk digler
01-19-2012, 08:51 AM
Don't worry, after Obama's second term most people will automatically vote against any Democrat for the next 3 elections.

I seem to remember people saying that after Bush's second term. Never works out that way though because the other party will always screw up somehow.

BucEyedPea
01-19-2012, 09:08 AM
I knew Newt was unethical and corrupt but this one takes the cake. Shaking someone down for a bribe. He's just another politicians with no principles.

alnorth
01-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Apparently his ex-wife is going to say that Newt didn't just have an affair, but that after she learned about the affair, Newt did not want to end the affair or get a divorce. He basically asked for an open marriage.

Who knows if that is true or just the ravings of an angry ex, but it may have a pretty big impact. The not-Romney side's only shot is probably Santorum. Not that Santorum is a good candidate either, he'd get blasted by Obama, but so would Newt.

BucEyedPea
01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
This particular ex-wife did to Newt's former wife what was done to her. That's some credibility baggage.
I'm more interested in the shakedown and bribe. Seems Newt has a bit of Jesse Jackson in his character.

alnorth
01-19-2012, 10:09 AM
As far as this whole "oh, the media can't air this now, they must wait after Saturday" issue, if its an irrelevant issue that the voters wouldn't care about in a month, then perhaps. If the media sits on a story for an october surprise, thats unethical. However, if she just went to the media now, they just now got this information, and its information that would probably impact voter's opinions not just this week, but a month from now, then they should go ahead and air it. Politicians don't have some kind of 1-week or 1-month grace period before a vote where scandals shouldn't be permitted, thats silly.

Cave Johnson
01-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Newt never bothered to pick up candy wrappers on the floor in the capitol building.

Let politicians go in the wrong door to the House floor.

FishingRod
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
I knew Newt was unethical and corrupt but this one takes the cake. Shaking someone down for a bribe. He's just another politicians with no principles.

I will need to refresh my memory but I ‘think” this was one of those “serious allegations” things that held no water. Something to the affect that the Arms dealer or someone affiliated with him had floated the idea of trying to bribe someone to help their case and this prompted an investigation to see if there actually had been any unethical actions. It was a long time ago and I can’t remember where I put my car keys these days. Anyone else remember?

Deberg_1990
01-19-2012, 11:09 AM
All this happened, she said, during the same time Gingrich condemned President Bill Clinton for his lack of moral leadership

http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-gingrich-lacks-moral-character-president-ex-wife-135852543--abc-news.html

What a scumbag.

Royal Fanatic
01-19-2012, 11:16 AM
With Gingrich's baggage and his obvious lack of morals, I really don't understand how anybody could vote for him.

The fact that so many people support him makes me pretty cynical about the whole election process. Too many people don't give a crap whether or not a particular candidate is a good person: they're more interested in whether or not his positions on the issues line up with theirs.

wazu
01-19-2012, 11:18 AM
"You need to share me." RIP, Newt campaign.

Taco John
01-19-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm trying to put together a profile in my head of the kind of person who would actually vote for Newt Gingrich. I don't personally know anyone who would, so I'm coming up blank.

alpha_omega
01-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Newt should have seen this coming from a mile away.

alnorth
01-19-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm trying to put together a profile in my head of the kind of person who would actually vote for Newt Gingrich. I don't personally know anyone who would, so I'm coming up blank.

The dedicated true believer who will not change his mind, but this new information makes him feel uncomfortable. So, he tells his brain "hey, use some of your logic stuff to figure out a way for me to either not care, not believe it, or somehow make me stop feeling uncomfortable."

mlyonsd
01-19-2012, 11:34 AM
The dedicated true believer who will not change his mind, but this new information makes him feel uncomfortable. So, he tells his brain "hey, use some of your logic stuff to figure out a way for me to either not care, not believe it, or somehow make me stop feeling uncomfortable."Oh, you mean like Bill Clinton supporters. :p

Dave Lane
01-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Oh, you mean like Bill Clinton supporters. :p

Or Ron Paul supporters.

dirk digler
01-19-2012, 11:50 AM

patteeu

patteeu
01-19-2012, 11:59 AM

DRUDGE REPORT

Unethical? If she started a superpac and bought ad time just before the primary, does anyone think that ABC would consider it unethical to run the ad or any other attack ad against any of the candidates? And if this was the general election with Obama facing off against Gingrich does anyone believe that ABC would hold off until after the election?

Baby Lee
01-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Someone who isn't going to vote for Obama, when Gingrich is the Rep nominee.

That wasn't hard.

patteeu
01-19-2012, 12:02 PM
patteeu

Correct. If Newt Gingrich is the nominee, I'll vote for him without hesitation. I'll weigh candidates moral shortcomings with all the other factors and it would take something like the GOP nominee committing child rape combined with a series of jack the ripper style murders for me to decide that Obama was the better choice.

FishingRod
01-19-2012, 12:04 PM
With Gingrich's baggage and his obvious lack of morals, I really don't understand how anybody could vote for him.

The fact that so many people support him makes me pretty cynical about the whole election process. Too many people don't give a crap whether or not a particular candidate is a good person: they're more interested in whether or not his positions on the issues line up with theirs.

New is a well connected, very experienced politician who happened to be the guy in charge of congress the last time this country spent less than they took in. He is not a very likeable person and wouldn’t want him joining me for Thanksgiving dinner. He is the anti Jimmy Carter who is/was a pretty nice man who was IMO either the worst or 2nd worst president in my lifetime. It would be difficult for me to vote for Gingrich do too a personal dislike for the man but he might make the most effective President of all the candidates from both parties. It does give me a bit of a head ache.

dirk digler
01-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Correct. If Newt Gingrich is the nominee, I'll vote for him without hesitation. I'll weigh candidates moral shortcomings with all the other factors and it would take something like the GOP nominee committing child rape combined with a series of jack the ripper style murders for me to decide that Obama was the better choice.

I didn't realize you had such high standards :p

patteeu
01-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Mitt Romney is a great candidate. He's done everything right. Harvard Law School, Harvard Business School, successful corporate career, "saved" the Olympics, governor of an important state, competent speaker and debater.

Faithful husband and father, charitable giver, noncommunist, the list goes on and on.

TEX
01-19-2012, 12:08 PM

This X 10!

PunkinDrublic
01-19-2012, 12:15 PM
I would ask for an open marriage too. His ex looks like Mick Mars from Motley Crue.

alnorth
01-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Unethical? If she started a superpac and bought ad time just before the primary, does anyone think that ABC would consider it unethical to run the ad or any other attack ad against any of the candidates? And if this was the general election with Obama facing off against Gingrich does anyone believe that ABC would hold off until after the election?

haha, I didn't even think of that. Its cynical, but you've got a good point.

"Wait, what? We can't air this, it'll crush Gingrich and unless Santorum rises, Romney will cruise! No one will watch our primary election coverage, what about the ratings?"

I imagine that, if this was about ratings, they probably think Romney will cruise after FL anyway, so may as well cash in now.

alnorth
01-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Someone who isn't going to vote for Obama, when Gingrich is the Rep nominee.

That wasn't hard.

He probably meant during the primary. Who would still vote for Gingrich over Romney and Santorum?

alnorth
01-19-2012, 12:38 PM
This particular ex-wife did to Newt's former wife what was done to her.

That's a little different. That relationship with the 2nd wife didn't begin until divorce proceedings started, unless you think they are lying.

Once one or both sides decide on a divorce, you are only married in name only. If everyone's just waiting for the lawyers to figure out the details and a court date, I don't think anyone expects you to not start dating if you want.

patteeu
01-19-2012, 12:40 PM
I saw Gingrich and his 3rd wife at the Washington Monument last summer. I didn't know who she was until I saw a picture of her the other day. I assumed she was some kind of reporter doing an interview that day.

oldandslow
01-19-2012, 12:51 PM
There is a large contingent of non affiliated or disgruntled dem folks who would vote for Romney that would never vote for Gingrich.

Gingrich simply guarantees Obama a second term.

vailpass
01-19-2012, 12:53 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

WV
01-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Cracks me up to hear people try to use a candidates morality as some kind of litmus. We've had some horribly immoral presidents over history and just didn't know about it......heck some we even knew about. Nearly everyone has skeletons, its just tougher to conceal with todays instant everything media. I don't care about Newts infidelity anymore than I cared about Clintons exploits in the oval office.

patteeu
01-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Cracks me up to hear people try to use a candidates morality as some kind of litmus. We've had some horribly immoral presidents over history and just didn't know about it......heck some we even knew about. Nearly everyone has skeletons, its just tougher to conceal with todays instant everything media. I don't care about Newts infidelity anymore than I cared about Clintons exploits in the oval office.

Or Obama's cigarette smoking, homosexual affairs, and child sacrifice rituals in the basement of the White House.

Amnorix
01-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Amazing the stupidity and arrogance to think this might not come out.

It was fun while it lasted Newt. Cya.

http://cdn.stripersonline.com/3/32/3211d7d5_WellBye.jpeg

Amnorix
01-19-2012, 12:59 PM

Neither do I, but his ex-wife of 18 years is saying he requested an open marriage and he wants Republicans to vote for him as they're Presidential nominee. That ain't gonna fly.

vailpass
01-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Neither do I, but his ex-wife of 18 years is saying he requested an open marriage and he wants Republicans to vote for him as they're Presidential nominee. That ain't gonna fly.

No it will not. If Newt ever had a chance (he didn't) this would surely erode any conservative base that was going to vote for him.

alnorth
01-19-2012, 01:08 PM

The Clinton comparison doesn't work, this story, if true, is really shocking.

What you are missing is that what she says happened differs wildly from what normally happens: Husband is caught cheating, he is normally expected to 1) apologize to his wife and not see that other woman, or 2) divorce his wife. Immoral, but people will forgive that, even evangelicals.

However, Newt basically said "eh, you know what, I don't want a divorce, and I don't want to stop seeing her. You'll have to share me." That is just a couple steps removed from polygamy.

Being accused of trying to form your own little harem is going to be extremely repulsive to a lot of people, even if it was 18 years ago if its new news today.

Calcountry
01-19-2012, 01:16 PM
that's right...

it should be enough to convince florida voters that he can't beat obama with that baggage, and he'll be toast...

a romney, paul, santorum race?

politics are always strange, but this is epic...

a liberal, an austrian and an evangelical...

hell, they should let arnold run!Why not? Nobody gives a damn about the constitution anyway.

orange
01-19-2012, 01:31 PM
I have to laugh at all of you who think this is going to matter at all. Do you have any idea how many divorced people there are in America? And how many of their exes talk bad about them? LMAO

By the way - Newt has pulled into a slight lead in South Carolina: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/19/south-carolina-polls-newt-gingrich_n_1216485.html

... And there's another debate coming. Anyone thinks he doesn't win that one too?

alnorth
01-19-2012, 01:35 PM
I have to laugh at all of you who think this is going to matter at all. Do you have any idea how many divorced people there are in America? And how many of their exes talk bad about them? LMAO

By the way - Newt has pulled into a slight lead in South Carolina: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/19/south-carolina-polls-newt-gingrich_n_1216485.html

... And there's another debate coming. Anyone thinks he doesn't win that one too?

Are you kidding? How many people try for an open marriage rather than reconciliation/divorce? Of those who would try for an open marriage, how many are evangelical republicans?

It is a very strong cultural norm that, once you are caught and confronted, you must choose. (assuming the wife doesn't leave your ass) Choose the wife, or the mistress if you must, but you have to choose.

Attempting to form a harem of sister-wives who know one another and are fine with it is deeply repulsive, far more than just cheating and multiple divorces.

WV
01-19-2012, 01:36 PM

The Clinton comparison doesn't work, this story, if true, is really shocking.

What you are missing is that what she says happened differs wildly from what normally happens: Husband is caught cheating, he is normally expected to 1) apologize to his wife and not see that other woman, or 2) divorce his wife. Immoral, but people will forgive that, even evangelicals.

However, Newt basically said "eh, you know what, I don't want a divorce, and I don't want to stop seeing her. You'll have to share me." That is just a couple steps removed from polygamy.

Being accused of trying to form your own little harem is going to be extremely repulsive to a lot of people, even if it was 18 years ago if its new news today.

Your right as far as ultra conservatives go, but I know as a republican I value his vast political knowledge far more than any infidelity he's had or will have. Even in today's know everything world I'm fairly certain we don't know every disturbing detail that goes on in ones bedroom and frankly I don't care about that aspect of their lives. It's all in the eye of the beholder anyway, but I see the point about Ultra Conservatives disapproving. I just want some effective leadership in office as opposed to what's in there presently.

patteeu
01-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Are you kidding? How many people try for an open marriage rather than reconciliation/divorce? Of those who would try for an open marriage, how many are evangelical republicans?

It is a very strong cultural norm that, once you are caught and confronted, you must choose. (assuming the wife doesn't leave your ass) Choose the wife, or the mistress if you must, but you have to choose.

Attempting to form a harem of sister-wives who know one another and are fine with it is deeply repulsive, far more than just cheating and multiple divorces.

There are a lot of people who stay married even though they know their spouse is a cheater. It's not uncommon at all. I think you're getting hung up on the "open marriage" description due to it's swinger connotations.

orange
01-19-2012, 01:42 PM

You're assuming people are going to believe her one-sided account - which differs from what she's said before.

Of course, to a certain extent, this is something we've already basically known. Let's recall that in the August 2010 Esquire profile of Gingrich, Marianne offered this account of their marriage's last days:

Early in May, she went out to Ohio for her mother's birthday. A day and a half went by and Newt didn't return her calls, which was strange. They always talked every day, often ten times a day, so she was frantic by the time he called to say he needed to talk to her.
"About what?"

He wanted to talk in person, he said.

"I said, 'No, we need to talk now.'"

He went quiet.

"There's somebody else, isn't there?"

She kind of guessed it, of course. Women usually do. But did she know the woman was in her apartment, eating off her plates, sleeping in her bed?

She called a minister they both trusted. He came over to the house the next day and worked with them the whole weekend, but Gingrich just kept saying she was a Jaguar and all he wanted was a Chevrolet. "'I can't handle a Jaguar right now.' He said that many times. 'All I want is a Chevrolet.'"

So, the new wrinkle here is that Marianne Gingrich is characterizing this as a desire on Newt's part to have an open marriage, rather than just have his wife tolerate his affair on the side. In many ways, this is a distinction without a difference, though I suppose it now makes a lot of his new demonstrations of Catholic conversion to be ... well, I suppose the phrase we're using these days is, "pious bologna."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/19/marianne-gingrich-newt-gingrich-ex-wife_n_1216106.html

alnorth
01-19-2012, 01:45 PM
There are a lot of people who stay married even though they know their spouse is a cheater. It's not uncommon at all. I think you're getting hung up on the "open marriage" description due to it's swinger connotations.

I'm aware of that, I'm not naive. However, publicly all sides keep up the fiction of a faithful relationship for appearances sake, and as long as they keep up appearances, the voters aren't going to try to figure out what you are up to.

However, if its out in the open that you are trying, or did try to arrange things so that two or more women are willing to share, you aren't going to win an election unless you convince people that the story is false.

alnorth
01-19-2012, 01:48 PM
You're assuming people are going to believe her one-sided account - which differs from what she's said before.

yep, it is entirely possible, and I'll even say likely, that her story is not completely true.

Since it can't really be proven false either, it'll be up to what the voters believe. Unfortunately for Gingrich, when you are up to wife #3, 1 or 2 of whom you've left while they were ill, you aren't going to get much of a benefit of the doubt.

I presume you are hoping Gingrich wins the nomination so Obama can destroy him, or at the very least bloody Romney up a little more, but you have to concede that this issue could potentially destroy any remaining faint chance he had at the nomination.

patteeu
01-19-2012, 01:48 PM

Of course, to a certain extent, this is something we've already basically known. Let's recall that in the August 2010 Esquire profile of Gingrich, Marianne offered this account of their marriage's last days:

Early in May, she went out to Ohio for her mother's birthday. A day and a half went by and Newt didn't return her calls, which was strange. They always talked every day, often ten times a day, so she was frantic by the time he called to say he needed to talk to her.
"About what?"

He wanted to talk in person, he said.

"I said, 'No, we need to talk now.'"

He went quiet.

"There's somebody else, isn't there?"

She kind of guessed it, of course. Women usually do. But did she know the woman was in her apartment, eating off her plates, sleeping in her bed?

She called a minister they both trusted. He came over to the house the next day and worked with them the whole weekend, but Gingrich just kept saying she was a Jaguar and all he wanted was a Chevrolet. "'I can't handle a Jaguar right now.' He said that many times. 'All I want is a Chevrolet.'"

So, the new wrinkle here is that Marianne Gingrich is characterizing this as a desire on Newt's part to have an open marriage, rather than just have his wife tolerate his affair on the side. In many ways, this is a distinction without a difference, though I suppose it now makes a lot of his new demonstrations of Catholic conversion to be ... well, I suppose the phrase we're using these days is, "pious bologna."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/19/marianne-gingrich-newt-gingrich-ex-wife_n_1216106.html

Or it could be that his conversion to Catholicism included actual remorse for his previous conduct. I don't see how we can say one way or the other, although I'm always suspicious of a successful politician's religious claims.

BucEyedPea
01-19-2012, 02:45 PM
though I suppose it now makes a lot of his new demonstrations of Catholic conversion to be ... well, I suppose the phrase we're using these days is, "pious bologna."

I always thought his Catholic conversion was pious bologna for the simple reason that he was married before and likely in some type of religious ceremony—possibly twice. So the RCC would never recognize his divorce(s). Ergo he couldn't really be married in the RCC nor would his current wife. This was why the RCC refused to recognize my getting married to a divorced Protestant. They only annul these under certain conditions. I've yet to hear that Newt's former marriages were annulled and doubt they could be annulled either.

The other area where he violates Catholicism is Christian Just War Doctrine—which was the basis of the Pope condemning our war in Iraq. Now he talks of doing the same on Iran.

This man is very dishonest and a fraud. Mitt's a fraud too, but in a different way. He's more of an opportunist for himself than he is an ideologue. He could switch on stands and policy as needed. But he's not corrupt in the way Newt is.

BucEyedPea
01-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Your right as far as ultra conservatives go, but I know as a republican I value his vast political knowledge far more than any infidelity he's had or will have. .

Such as his favorite president being FDR because he was very "progressive" in Newt's words—even, in Newt's words, when FDR was governor of NY and times were good? LOL the man is on the left, he just believes in using technocrats in govt to make it work kinda like a market would as in getting "bureaucrats to think like entrepreneurs." The guy is just NOT a conservative. He's a liar even in this department.

orange
01-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Why the Marianne Gingrich Interview Helps Newt Gingrich
Posted: 1/19/12 12:39 PM ET
James Marshall Croty

In case you missed the news because you were out celebrating the cancellation of the Keystone XL Pipeline, Marianne Gingrich, Newt Gingrich's second ex-wife, has given an exclusive two-hour interview to ABC News reporter Brian Ross that, according to one hyperventilating report, is set to "rock the trail."

As ABC internally debates the "ethics" of running the interview on the eve of the pivotal South Carolina Republican primary (the damage has already been done, even if they suddenly cancel the planned Thursday night Nightline interview), the question du jour is what this will do to Newt Gingrich's GOP election chances?

My answer might surprise you. If the normally combative Gingrich does not bow out or implode under the intense media scrutiny, the Marianne Gingrich revelations might actually help him. Here's why:

1. The Clinton Precedent.

As America well remembers, Bill Clinton was besieged by all kinds of revelations of extramarital misconduct when he was first running for President in 1992. These allegations threatened to derail his candidacy in the early primary state of New Hampshire. Though he did not win the Granite State, Clinton's strong second place showing there caused him to be labeled "The Comeback Kid." Even with allegations that "tailed" him right through the primary season, Clinton subsequently went on to win the Democratic nomination and the presidency.

Like Clinton, Newt Gingrich is transparently duplicitous and two-faced. However, also like Clinton, Gingrich is smart and capable. Most important, like his Southern soul brother in sin and redemption, Gingrich knows how policy sausage is made. He's quite good at it. He knows when to hold 'em. He knows when to fold 'em. He gets things done. And his record in balancing the budget and ending welfare as we know it speaks for itself.

Unfortunately, for all his smarts, Gingrich lacks Clinton's smooth, endearing "Bubba" charm. He is abrasive, petty, and cocky when he needs to be suave, magnanimous, and humble. These defects may cost him, though not as dearly as some presume. In lieu of his present wife coming to his defense (in the way that Hillary Clinton came to Bill Clinton's defense on "60 Minutes"), Gingrich has enlisted his own daughters. How that strategy plays out might determine Newt's fate in the Palmetto State.

2. The Electorate Already Knows that Gingrich is Corrupt.

To paraphrase a Wall Street adage, corruption is already "baked into" the Gingrich stock. You say that Gingrich is a backstabbing, self-aggrandizing, check-bouncing, draft-dodging shyster? Old news. Voters know that the "erratic," "chaotic" Gingrich is full of himself, and full of hot air, but they also know he has a strong record of achievement.

Gingrich supporters must feel the same as those who voted for France's Sarkozy and Italy's Berlusconi, two other self-important clowns of global, if not tall, stature. It's always a balancing act with such larger-than-life super egos: how much boorish behavior can one stomach in the interest of getting something accomplished?

Frankly, those who like Newt Gingrich are not going to be dissuaded by Marianne Gingrich's revelations, unless she accuses the former Speaker of having sex with poodles and transsexuals... simultaneously. Corrupt lobbying, er, "history" consulting? Check. Ethical breaches? Check. Serial philandering, often while wives are seriously ill? Check. Transsexual poodle sex? Okay, you might have something there, Marianne.

In other words, the former Mrs. Gingrich better tell us something new and mind-blowing or she is going to make the transparently loathsome Speaker seem like a beleaguered ex-husband who had every right to dump his "bitter" and vindictive ex-wife.

3. Marianne's Gingrich's Suspicious Timing.

You mean to say, Mrs. Ex-Newt, that only now have you felt compelled to tell the world about the discrepancy between Mr. Gingrich's words and deeds? On the eve of the most important primary of his life? Moreover, a primary in which he has, in recent days, dramatically narrowed the poll gap between himself and Mr. Romney?

The heretofore impenetrable Romney facade of invincibility has started to take serious hits in recent days, as Gingrich's vociferous attacks on Romney's record at Bain Capital, and, more important, the percentage of tax that Mr. Romney actually pays (a projected 15 percent rate based on the going capital gains rate), have become public. Gingrich has landed some hard rights to the Romney glass chin. If the Marianne Gingrich distraction had not appeared, the Romney-Gingrich race might have tightened back up to a statistical dead heat by Saturday's voting.

I believe that this still could be the case, though there might be hiccup during the Thursday news cycle, as Newt deals with his ex-wife's allegations. Why such a rosy projection? Because Republican voters already have a preternatural disdain for American mass media (GOP TV, er, Fox News, excluded). The ABC News interview only confirms their wild suspicions of a conspiracy to attack genuinely conservative candidates and causes. Newt should actually hope the interview runs before Saturday because it might rally South Carolina's wavering conservative voters to his side.

Regardless, Republican voters are no longer willing to throw candidates overboard based on ethical lapses alone. Herman Cain might have fondled dozens of women while CEO of Godfather's pizza, but he lost credibility because he displayed a breathtaking ignorance of basic facts. If you are seen as smart and capable, and repeatedly deliver the goods, a lot of personal failings can be forgiven this election cycle. Clinton, Gingrich, and a whole host of American public figures (from Kobe Bryant to Ben Roethlisberger) are testament to that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-marshall-crotty/3-reasons-why-the-mariann_b_1215319.html

BucEyedPea
01-19-2012, 02:53 PM
I would ask for an open marriage too. His ex looks like Mick Mars from Motley Crue.

And his current wife looks like a hawk. No wonder he picked her. :p

BucEyedPea
01-19-2012, 02:55 PM
I will need to refresh my memory but I ‘think” this was one of those “serious allegations” things that held no water. Something to the affect that the Arms dealer or someone affiliated with him had floated the idea of trying to bribe someone to help their case and this prompted an investigation to see if there actually had been any unethical actions. It was a long time ago and I can’t remember where I put my car keys these days. Anyone else remember?

Okay thanks. It was the first I ever heard of it.

La literatura
01-19-2012, 02:55 PM
I always thought his Catholic conversion was pious bologna for the simple reason that he was married before and likely in some type of religious ceremony—possibly twice. So the RCC would never recognize his divorce(s). Ergo he couldn't really be married in the RCC nor would his current wife. This was why the RCC refused to recognize my getting married to a divorced Protestant. They only annul these under certain conditions. I've yet to hear that Newt's former marriages were annulled and doubt they could be annulled either.

Mr. Gingrich's third and current marriage was well before he converted to Catholicism. The Catholic Church accepts converts in that situation. In fact, the Catholic Church accepts Anglican priests who are married, convert, and become Catholic priests, all while remaining married.

His marriage circumstances are no reason to suspect that he did not actually want to convert.

Had you gotten married to a divorced Protestant, and then both of you want to enter the Church, I suspect that all Bishops and priests would be fine with it. It sounds like you were in the Church, and then you subsequently wanted to marry a divorced Protestant in the Church.

BucEyedPea
01-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Mr. Gingrich's third and current marriage was well before he converted to Catholicism. The Catholic Church accepts converts in that situation. In fact, the Catholic Church accepts Anglican priests who are married, convert, and become Catholic priests, all while remaining married.

His marriage circumstances are no reason to suspect that he did not actually want to convert.

Had you gotten married to a divorced Protestant, and then both of you want to enter the Church, I suspect that all Bishops and priests would be fine with it. It sounds like you were in the Church, and then you subsequently wanted to marry a divorced Protestant in the Church.

Well, as far as I was told directly from personal experience and knowledge, the RCC is not fine with it. They recognize all former marriages if done in a religious ceremony under any denomination. Sure, Newt could become a practicing RC, but he would not be able to marry either a divorced women who had a religious ceremony in her former marriage or if he had one.

I actually wasn't active in the Church—it was more that I wanted a Catholic ceremony in the church of my hometown where I grew up. But they never knew that. It's irrelevant. They don't recognize divorce—period.

SNR
01-19-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm trying to put together a profile in my head of the kind of person who would actually vote for Newt Gingrich. I don't personally know anyone who would, so I'm coming up blank.Rick Perry, apparently.

orange
01-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Rush Limbaugh Blasts ABC News Over Newt Gingrich Ex-Wife Interview
The Huffington Post
Katherine Fung
First Posted: 1/19/12 01:34 PM ET Updated: 1/19/12 01:44 PM ET

Rush Limbaugh attacked ABC News over the network's upcoming interview with Newt Gingrich's ex-wife, and compared the GOP candidate to Bill Clinton over his request for an open marriage.

On Wednesday, the Drudge Report revealed that ABC had a "bombshell campaign interview" with Marianne Gingrich. In the interview, which is scheduled to air on Thursday night, she told Brian Ross that Gingrich had requested an open marriage to accommodate his affair with another woman.

Limbaugh was extremely skeptical of reports that ABC News was debating the ethical implications of airing the interview before the South Carolina primary. The radio host charged, "If there was any debate at ABC, it was over when would be the best time to do it so as to cause the most harm." He alleged that the network was trying to "clear" the GOP field, and never dug up dirt on Democratic candidates.

Limbaugh also drew parallels between Gingrich and Bill Clinton over their affairs. He said that Gingrich "wanted an open marriage just like Bill and Hillary and in fact, Newt actually had the politeness to ask permission for it. You think Bill ever did that?" He speculated that the charges against Gingrich, which he dismissed as unimportant, might even prompt Democrats to vote for him.

video at link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/19/rush-limbaugh-abc-newt-gingrich-wife_n_1216552.html?ref=media

.................................................................................................... ..

I highlighted that portion particularly for the silent Pauljority, here. That sentiment - also expressed in my previous post - shouldn't be new to you folks. Isn't it revealed dogma in Paulville that ABC is in the bag for Romney? Yet, there is no comment here about their obvious bias. Strange ...

Also ... where are all the Drudgers?

La literatura
01-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Sure, Newt could become a practicing RC, but he would not be able to marry either a divorced women who had a religious ceremony in her former marriage or if he had one.

But you realize that's not what happened, right? It wasn't, A) Gingrich converts B) Gingrich wants marriage.

It was A) Gingrich gets married B) Gingrich converts.

orange
01-19-2012, 03:09 PM
I highlighted that portion particularly for the silent Pauljority, here. That sentiment - also expressed in my previous post - shouldn't be new to you folks. Isn't it revealed dogma in Paulville that ABC is in the bag for Romney? Yet, there is no comment here about their obvious bias. Strange ...

Also ... where are all the Drudgers?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/assets_c/2010/09/newt1-thumb-440x307-24805.jpg

BucEyedPea
01-19-2012, 03:09 PM
But you realize that's not what happened, right? It wasn't, A) Gingrich converts B) Gingrich wants marriage.

It was A) Gingrich gets married B) Gingrich converts.

It doesn't matter. Hence why I said it was irrelevant earlier.

http://catholicexchange.com/2005/06/23/83251/

Dear Catholic Exchange,

I am a divorced Protestant who would one day like to marry his Catholic girlfriend in the Catholic Church. Is this possible? Will the Catholic Church overlook my previous marriage since it wasn't in the RC Church? Would I need an annulment? Would I need to convert or do I simply make the “child upbringing pledge?”

Lance

The Church takes very seriously the words of Jesus Christ, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another, commits adultery against her; and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery” (Mk 10:11-12; cf. 1 Cor 7:10-11). The Church does not recognize remarriage after a divorce because the Lord himself does not. (Please see our FAITH FACT, “Divorce and Remarriage: The Church's Perspective.”)

Marriage is intended by God to be a “perfect union of persons and full sharing of life” (Directory for the Application of Principles and Norms on Ecumenism, no. 144). A perfect union means nothing is held back. There can be no private reservations, no preserving of the option of breaking off the relationship if things get too difficult. And so a perfect union is of its nature indissoluble. Anything less would not be marriage, in the Catholic understanding. (See our FAITH FACT, “Marriage in God's Plan — Discovering the Power of Marital Love.”)

Some people enter into marriage without understanding the essentials of the commitment they are making. Without knowing what they are consenting to, a man and a woman cannot actually give full consent to a marriage union. Without this consent, a marriage does not really take place, even if the ceremony is performed and the marriage certificate is signed. This is what is known as an “invalid” marriage.

The Church always presumes that marriages are valid until proven invalid — Protestant marriages included. Thus, the Church does not allow marriages to take place where one partner is divorced; she presumes that the first union is in effect. If there is some doubt as to whether full consent was given to the first union, she has established a process of investigation to resolve the matter. If it is found that a marriage did not actually take place, an annulment is granted. An annulment is an official declaration that the first marriage never really took place. It allows for a marriage to be entered into. (For more information, please see our FAITH FACT, “The Annulment Process.”)

Below he suggests Lance could also convert but that comes after the annulment which is suggested first. But that still doesn't change the fact that the Church does not recognize divorce and remarriage in any case. He'd have to get an anullment even as a Protestant for the marriage to be recognized and blessed by the RCC or they are living in sin—as I was considered to be.

La literatura
01-19-2012, 03:16 PM
It doesn't matter. Hence why I said it was irrelevant earlier.

Yes, it matters. On one hand, what Gingrich did is okay, because the Church will not shut off access to a "late-bloomer." On the other hand, what you are describing, and what appears not acceptable, is someone who is already in the Church, but wants to do something outside of it.

"I am a divorced Protestant who would one day like to marry his Catholic girlfriend in the Catholic Church. Is this possible? Will the Catholic Church overlook my previous marriage since it wasn't in the RC Church?"

Do you not see how this isn't like what Gingrich did? Gingrich and wife get married outside of the Church, not in it. He later converts to Catholicism, and is not shut off access due to being a "late-bloomer."

BucEyedPea
01-19-2012, 03:22 PM
According to this NYT's report Newt sought an annulment to his second marriage.

The third Ms. Gingrich is a Catholic, and in 2002, Mr. Gingrich asked the Catholic Archdiocese of Atlanta to annul his second marriage on the ground that the former Ms. Ginther had been previously married. “We were married 19 years, and now he wants to say it didn’t exist,” she told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

In 2009, Mr. Gingrich converted to Catholicism. It is not clear if he ever tried to have annulled his first marriage, which, if between two baptized Christians, would be considered valid by the Catholic Church. Mr. Gingrich’s spokesman, R. C. Hammond, could not be reached by telephone and did not reply to e-mails.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/10/us/politics/on-religion-broad-mindedness-and-bigotry-among-voters.html?_r=1

La literatura
01-19-2012, 03:35 PM
According to this NYT's report Newt sought an annulment to his second marriage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/10/us/politics/on-religion-broad-mindedness-and-bigotry-among-voters.html?_r=1

Listen, the fact is, Cardinal Donald Wuerl, the Archbishop of Washington, baptized Gingrich. If you think you understand the particulars of who can and who can't be allowed into the Church better than a Cardinal of the Church, then the only person who you are fooling is yourself.

Gingrich's situation is different from yours, and different from the one in your quote. Two atheists who get married in a swamp on Mars can still later be welcomed into the Catholic Church after going through RCIA.

BucEyedPea
01-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Listen, the fact is, Cardinal Donald Wuerl, the Archbishop of Washington, baptized Gingrich. If you think you understand the particulars of who can and who can't be allowed into the Church better than a Cardinal of the Church, then the only person who you are fooling is yourself.

Gingrich's situation is different from yours, and different from the one in your quote. Two atheists who get married in a swamp on Mars can still later be welcomed into the Catholic Church after going through RCIA.

You are now using a strawman by mischaracterizing what I said. I didn't say anything about Newt not being able to be a Catholic. If I recall I said he could. I was addressing his previous marriages and divorces and whether or not one or both were still recognized in the RCC.

The part that is the SAME in those quotes is the pov of the RCC regarding divorce by any Christian who was married in a religious ceremony. It is irrelevant when or if the person becames a Catholic. The previous marriage is recognized. I even found another one where the person said they would convert but they had some other pretty wild stuff going on (not anything that affects the marriage sit though.)

Now if Gingrich was not baptized before in his previous Christian faith but has been in the RCC, a point omitted and unknown earlier, that may possibly be another way he could do what he claimed. I just don't know if he was or not. I believe the person had to be baptized as a Christian previously as well as have a religious ceremony. I am just not certain on this.

Don't forget some priests do operated on false information too. In fact it's not uncommon.

BucEyedPea
01-19-2012, 04:16 PM
They are the Petrine Privilege or the Pauline Privilege

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrine_Privilege

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_privilege

Baptism and Marriage Catholic Church
http://catholicism.about.com/od/catholicliving/f/FAQ_Marriage.htm

The Church, therefore, discourages them and requires a Catholic who wishes to marry an unbaptized person to receive a special dispensation from his or her bishop. Still, if the dispensation is granted, a non-sacramental marriage is valid and can take place inside of a Catholic church.

But two non-Catholics can even be married in the RCC as long as they are baptized as Christians.

So there must have been a Baptism issue in the case of Newt.

Chocolate Hog
01-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Why the Marianne Gingrich Interview Helps Newt Gingrich
Posted: 1/19/12 12:39 PM ET
James Marshall Croty

In case you missed the news because you were out celebrating the cancellation of the Keystone XL Pipeline, Marianne Gingrich, Newt Gingrich's second ex-wife, has given an exclusive two-hour interview to ABC News reporter Brian Ross that, according to one hyperventilating report, is set to "rock the trail."

As ABC internally debates the "ethics" of running the interview on the eve of the pivotal South Carolina Republican primary (the damage has already been done, even if they suddenly cancel the planned Thursday night Nightline interview), the question du jour is what this will do to Newt Gingrich's GOP election chances?

My answer might surprise you. If the normally combative Gingrich does not bow out or implode under the intense media scrutiny, the Marianne Gingrich revelations might actually help him. Here's why:

1. The Clinton Precedent.

As America well remembers, Bill Clinton was besieged by all kinds of revelations of extramarital misconduct when he was first running for President in 1992. These allegations threatened to derail his candidacy in the early primary state of New Hampshire. Though he did not win the Granite State, Clinton's strong second place showing there caused him to be labeled "The Comeback Kid." Even with allegations that "tailed" him right through the primary season, Clinton subsequently went on to win the Democratic nomination and the presidency.

Like Clinton, Newt Gingrich is transparently duplicitous and two-faced. However, also like Clinton, Gingrich is smart and capable. Most important, like his Southern soul brother in sin and redemption, Gingrich knows how policy sausage is made. He's quite good at it. He knows when to hold 'em. He knows when to fold 'em. He gets things done. And his record in balancing the budget and ending welfare as we know it speaks for itself.

Unfortunately, for all his smarts, Gingrich lacks Clinton's smooth, endearing "Bubba" charm. He is abrasive, petty, and cocky when he needs to be suave, magnanimous, and humble. These defects may cost him, though not as dearly as some presume. In lieu of his present wife coming to his defense (in the way that Hillary Clinton came to Bill Clinton's defense on "60 Minutes"), Gingrich has enlisted his own daughters. How that strategy plays out might determine Newt's fate in the Palmetto State.

2. The Electorate Already Knows that Gingrich is Corrupt.

To paraphrase a Wall Street adage, corruption is already "baked into" the Gingrich stock. You say that Gingrich is a backstabbing, self-aggrandizing, check-bouncing, draft-dodging shyster? Old news. Voters know that the "erratic," "chaotic" Gingrich is full of himself, and full of hot air, but they also know he has a strong record of achievement.

Gingrich supporters must feel the same as those who voted for France's Sarkozy and Italy's Berlusconi, two other self-important clowns of global, if not tall, stature. It's always a balancing act with such larger-than-life super egos: how much boorish behavior can one stomach in the interest of getting something accomplished?

Frankly, those who like Newt Gingrich are not going to be dissuaded by Marianne Gingrich's revelations, unless she accuses the former Speaker of having sex with poodles and transsexuals... simultaneously. Corrupt lobbying, er, "history" consulting? Check. Ethical breaches? Check. Serial philandering, often while wives are seriously ill? Check. Transsexual poodle sex? Okay, you might have something there, Marianne.

In other words, the former Mrs. Gingrich better tell us something new and mind-blowing or she is going to make the transparently loathsome Speaker seem like a beleaguered ex-husband who had every right to dump his "bitter" and vindictive ex-wife.

3. Marianne's Gingrich's Suspicious Timing.

You mean to say, Mrs. Ex-Newt, that only now have you felt compelled to tell the world about the discrepancy between Mr. Gingrich's words and deeds? On the eve of the most important primary of his life? Moreover, a primary in which he has, in recent days, dramatically narrowed the poll gap between himself and Mr. Romney?

The heretofore impenetrable Romney facade of invincibility has started to take serious hits in recent days, as Gingrich's vociferous attacks on Romney's record at Bain Capital, and, more important, the percentage of tax that Mr. Romney actually pays (a projected 15 percent rate based on the going capital gains rate), have become public. Gingrich has landed some hard rights to the Romney glass chin. If the Marianne Gingrich distraction had not appeared, the Romney-Gingrich race might have tightened back up to a statistical dead heat by Saturday's voting.

I believe that this still could be the case, though there might be hiccup during the Thursday news cycle, as Newt deals with his ex-wife's allegations. Why such a rosy projection? Because Republican voters already have a preternatural disdain for American mass media (GOP TV, er, Fox News, excluded). The ABC News interview only confirms their wild suspicions of a conspiracy to attack genuinely conservative candidates and causes. Newt should actually hope the interview runs before Saturday because it might rally South Carolina's wavering conservative voters to his side.

Regardless, Republican voters are no longer willing to throw candidates overboard based on ethical lapses alone. Herman Cain might have fondled dozens of women while CEO of Godfather's pizza, but he lost credibility because he displayed a breathtaking ignorance of basic facts. If you are seen as smart and capable, and repeatedly deliver the goods, a lot of personal failings can be forgiven this election cycle. Clinton, Gingrich, and a whole host of American public figures (from Kobe Bryant to Ben Roethlisberger) are testament to that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-marshall-crotty/3-reasons-why-the-mariann_b_1215319.html

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/bfd2.gif

BucEyedPea
01-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Well, well look what else I found:

In Good Standing With the Church

Likewise, a Catholic politician who supports policies condemned by the Church (such as the legalization of abortion) may be denied a sacramental marriage.

Wonder how this fits in with Newt wanting to drop nukes on Iran for the purpose of regime change instead of defense.

Doesn't sound good to me which was my second point about him being a Catholic. Sounds like a grave and mortal sin. Maybe he plans on a confession afterwards? Or perhaps he was converted in a cafeteria where he thinks he can pick and choose what to believe. Newt is still a fraud to me because of this.

DBoweShow
01-19-2012, 04:35 PM
Faithful husband and father, charitable giver, noncommunist, the list goes on and on.

Just because the flip-flopper's parents were rich and he could afford to go to Harvard, and just because he is worth 250 million and "gives" money away, does not necessarily make him a viable candidate.