PDA

View Full Version : Economics Greece: Too big to fail... oh, and the banks take a bath!

Stewie
01-20-2012, 12:58 PM
The credit event about to occur in Greece will not be deemed a default because the five largest US banks carry 97% of the so-called insurance and credit default swaps. Therefore, if Greece defaults (a credit event condition determined by an organization made up of major US banks and investment houses ) those banks would be hammered into financial hell.

BucEyedPea
01-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Banks and governments today = walking dead.

Mizzou_8541
01-21-2012, 07:12 AM
The credit event about to occur in Greece will not be deemed a default because the five largest US banks carry 97% of the so-called insurance and credit default swaps. Therefore, if Greece defaults (a credit event condition determined by an organization made up of major US banks and investment houses ) those banks would be hammered into financial hell.

I wish I had a better understanding of this situation, so I apologize for my question...why will the US banks get hammered?

Stewie
01-22-2012, 03:15 PM
I wish I had a better understanding of this situation, so I apologize for my question...why will the US banks get hammered?

The five largets U.S. banks are the counter-party to 97% of their swaps and debt. Greece fails, those banks take billion$ in losses. It won't happen, they'll print money.