PDA

View Full Version : Elections Romney advisor: No Obamacare Repeal

dirk digler
01-25-2012, 12:26 PM
You knew it was coming just surprised it happened so fast. I expect a full denial by Romney while in the primary but expect a quick flip flop if he is the nominee.

As Ben Domenech notes in his Transom, Mitt Romney’s advisors have now advised him to support “a $2 gas tax, a VAT, and open Taliban talks.” Add to that list not repealing Obamacare. (http://ricochet.com/main-feed/Norm-Coleman-We-re-Not-Going-to-Repeal-Obamacare) Norm Coleman, an advisor to Romney, went on record saying:We’re not going to do repeal. You’re not going to repeal Obamacare… It’s not a total repeal… You will not repeal the act in its entirety, but you will see major changes, particularly if there is a Republican president… You can’t whole-cloth throw it out. But you can substantially change what’s been done.

BucEyedPea
01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Hope it's tossed out this summer which removes one barrier to voting for Romney for some.

dirk digler
01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Hope it's tossed out this summer which removes one barrier to voting for Romney for some.

I have said this for a long time but I don't know why anyone would believe Romney would repeal Obamacare.

BucEyedPea
01-25-2012, 01:12 PM
I have said this for a long time but I don't know why anyone would believe Romney would repeal Obamacare.

I never believed him. I always caught him saying " and replace it with something else." Ledgerdemain—politicians are great at it. The only two I believed on this was Bachmann and Paul.

Chocolate Hog
01-25-2012, 02:13 PM
None of the candidates besides Santorum or Paul will try to remove Obamacare.

mikey23545
01-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Wow, Romney flip-flopping around about something? That can't be!

HonestChieffan
01-25-2012, 03:08 PM
From a practical standpoint, if it were repealed it would have to be replaced would it not with something that helps address the fundamental issues?

KILLER_CLOWN
01-25-2012, 03:15 PM
http://dailybail.com/storage/99-healthcare.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1327512272078

alnorth
01-25-2012, 03:28 PM
From a practical standpoint, if it were repealed it would have to be replaced would it not with something that helps address the fundamental issues?

depends if you are just wanting to scribble in the margins, or if you want to tackle some of the major issues.

One of the biggest issues is the insurance companies refusing to let people buy coverage for pre-existing conditions. This is wildly unpopular, to the point where republicans were saying "oh don't worry, we'll fix that, we wont let insurance companies deny you from buying insurance due to pre-existing conditions"

How? How in the hell can we do that without a mandate for almost everyone to buy insurance? You can't, every time its been tried without an individual mandate, the market for that insurance literally disappeared with the insurers refusing to sell the coverage to anyone.

patteeu
01-25-2012, 04:31 PM

Romney hasn't said he won't repeal Obamacare. Quite the opposite. He says that it's a top priority. However, he's not going to be able to force the voters to give him a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate so his ability to repeal it will most likely be subject to the cooperation of at least a few democrats. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has at least a junior high school understanding of how laws are made. That doesn't mean he won't be able to substantially gut it though. And letting Obama have four more years isn't going to improve the situation.

patteeu
01-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Wow, Romney flip-flopping around about something? That can't be!

Don't believe everything dirk digler implies with his posts.

Saul Good
01-25-2012, 05:39 PM
You believe he supports a $2 gas tax too, Dirk?

orange
01-25-2012, 05:57 PM
That doesn't mean he won't be able to substantially gut it though.

Is that his position? You must have an inside track or something. I thought his position is this:

Getting Obamacare repealed will be very difficult. But it’s not clear what alternative Coleman has in mind, or could have in mind. Some Republicans have talked about getting rid of the law’s least popular provisions, notably the individual mandate, while keeping its most popular provisions, especially the command that insurance companies not take account of customers’ pre-existing health conditions. Coleman himself suggested that the courts might strike down the mandate and Congress might strike down IPAB (the Medicare cost-cutting/rationing board). But if the mandate goes, the insurance regulations have to go too: There’s no way insurance markets could work if you could wait until you were sick to buy insurance. The subsidized exchanges wouldn’t work either if people could jump on them when convenient. Take out IPAB, too, and all that’s left of Obamacare is the expansion of Medicaid. It’s hard to believe that you could build a legislative coalition to get rid of all of Obamacare except for that-especially since undoing that expansion would be key to any Republican bill’s claims to cut the deficit and thus to qualify for the “reconciliation” process needed to avoid a filibuster.

Obamacare could be tweaked by, for example, changing its funding streams. It could be moved leftward, through the introduction of a public option. Or it could be left alone entirely. Those are the options: Repeal, tweak, expand, or do nothing. Which option Republicans should choose is not a hard call.

orange
01-25-2012, 05:58 PM
:LOL:

I expect a full denial by Romney while in the primary

"With all due respect to Sen. Coleman, he's wrong," campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul said via e-mail. "Gov. Romney can and will repeal Obamacare and is committed to doing so."

Chocolate Hog
01-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Romney hasn't said he won't repeal Obamacare. Quite the opposite. He says that it's a top priority. However, he's not going to be able to force the voters to give him a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate so his ability to repeal it will most likely be subject to the cooperation of at least a few democrats. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has at least a junior high school understanding of how laws are made. That doesn't mean he won't be able to substantially gut it though. And letting Obama have four more years isn't going to improve the situation.

Actually he has.

RedNeckRaider
01-25-2012, 06:56 PM
All the while Barry roots for this clown knowing if he wins he does not have to move for 4 more years~

patteeu
01-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Actually he has.

No he hasn't.

dirk digler
01-25-2012, 07:31 PM

You are right he hasn't and I didn't say he had but one of his closet paid advisors said he wasn't. As I said in the OP I knew he would deny it now but if he is the nominee you will see the slow walk back.

dirk digler
01-25-2012, 07:33 PM
You believe he supports a $2 gas tax too, Dirk?

Don't know about that one. I got this from redstate which I am sure my conservative friends know all about.

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2012/01/25/romney-advisor-no-obamacare-repeal/

patteeu
01-25-2012, 07:38 PM
You are right he hasn't and I didn't say he had but one of his closet paid advisors said he wasn't. As I said in the OP I knew he would deny it now but if he is the nominee you will see the slow walk back.

And Romney made it clear that he doesn't agree with that advisor on this point, as orange has posted. I knew he had already denied it before you posted this thread and there's no reason for him to walk anything back.