PDA

View Full Version : Poop Good News Regarding Our Food Supply - China Won't Eat it

jiveturkey
01-26-2012, 07:47 AM
http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/25/10220221-dispute-over-drug-in-feed-limiting-us-meat-exports

A drug used to keep pigs lean and boost their growth is jeopardizing the nation’s exports of what once was known as “the other white meat.”

The drug, ractopamine hydrochloride, is fed to pigs and other animals right up until slaughter and minute traces have been found in meat. The European Union, China, Taiwan and many others have banned its use, citing concerns about its effect on human health, limiting U.S. meat exports to key markets.

Although few Americans outside of the livestock industry have ever heard of ractopamine, the feed additive is controversial. Fed to an estimated 60 to 80 percent of pigs in the United States, it has sickened or killed more of them than any other livestock drug on the market, an investigation of Food and Drug Administration records shows. Cattle and turkeys have also suffered high numbers of illnesses from the drug.

Growing concern over sick animals in the nation's food supply sparked a California law banning the sale and slaughter of livestock unable to walk, but that law was struck down by the Supreme Court Monday. Meat producers had sued to overturn California’s ban, arguing that the state could not supercede federal rules on meat production. The court agreed.

The FDA, which regulates livestock drugs in the United States, deemed ractopamine safe 13 years ago and approved it, setting a level of acceptable residues in meat. Canada and 24 other countries approved the drug as well.

More good news, it's a long article - you can read the rest at the link above

orange
01-26-2012, 09:28 AM
I'm too old to die young, so, cheaper pork - woo hoo!

mikey23545
01-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Pass it over here...I'll eat that pork.

People worrying about chemicals being detected in parts per trillion in their food are the kind who oblige us all by stepping in front of a bus while reading about the latest media scare on their cell phones...

KILLER_CLOWN
01-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Pass it over here...I'll eat that pork.

People worrying about chemicals being detected in parts per trillion in their food are the kind who oblige us all by stepping in front of a bus while reading about the latest media scare on their cell phones...

Or the kind that would actually like to die of natural causes rather than which is now the norm, dieing from some horrible painful disease.

mikey23545
01-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Or the kind that would actually like to die of natural causes rather than which is now the norm, dieing from some horrible painful disease.

What an odd thing to say.

Before modern medicine humanity almost always died from incurable (and now easily curable) diseases...

If you would like to die without benefit of modern drugs or painkillers, please go ahead and get started now. It's pretty obvious the tissue between your ears has already passed on...

KILLER_CLOWN
01-26-2012, 12:56 PM
What an odd thing to say.

Before modern medicine humanity almost always died from incurable (and now easily curable) diseases...

If you would like to die without benefit of modern drugs or painkillers, please go ahead and get started now. It's pretty obvious the tissue between your ears has already passed on...

BS! We made it Through just fine with what our bodies need, Vitamins and Minerals. Some drugs and painkillers are ok, but NONE actually cure a disease. They simply allow you to manage them.

go bowe
01-26-2012, 02:35 PM
BS! We made it Through just fine with what our bodies need, Vitamins and Minerals. Some drugs and painkillers are ok, but NONE actually cure a disease. They simply allow you to manage them.

that's because those drugs and painkillers are remote-controlled... :p

KILLER_CLOWN
01-26-2012, 02:43 PM
that's because those drugs and painkillers are remote-controlled... :p

I think you are remote controlled! ;)

Like a fly to spider ya know.

Radar Chief
01-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Good, that means more moo shu pork for us.

mikey23545
01-26-2012, 03:11 PM

You obviously have no idea what life in the past was like...Perhaps you need to be bled for awhile.

AustinChief
01-26-2012, 03:21 PM

wow, just wow.

You are woefully misinformed on this subject. I'm guessing that you haven't taken a biology class since high school? You do know about antibiotics right? What about an anti-fungal drug that kills a fungal growth in/on the body... pretty sure that qualifies as "curing" a disease. I can list dozens upon dozens of other examples if you need them.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-26-2012, 09:48 PM
wow, just wow.

You are woefully misinformed on this subject. I'm guessing that you haven't taken a biology class since high school? You do know about antibiotics right? What about an anti-fungal drug that kills a fungal growth in/on the body... pretty sure that qualifies as "curing" a disease. I can list dozens upon dozens of other examples if you need them.

Like I said some are necessary but the majority tend to be life management drugs rather than actually curing anything. I'm also not sure antibiotics cure Diseases, they can help the body defeat bacterial infections though. Unless you're going to tell me the sniffles is a disease?

KILLER_CLOWN
01-26-2012, 10:03 PM
You obviously have no idea what life in the past was like...Perhaps you need to be bled for awhile.

I do, remember when all those folks died from scurvy? Tell me again what cured it? Oh and what would "Cure" Rickets?

AustinChief
01-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Like I said some are necessary but the majority tend to be life management drugs rather than actually curing anything. I'm also not sure antibiotics cure Diseases, they can help the body defeat bacterial infections though. Unless you're going to tell me the sniffles is a disease?

Yes the "sniffles" is a disease.

And yes quite a few drugs are "helpers" that don't directly "cure" anything... but your statement that "NONE actually cure a disease" is completely inaccurate.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Yes the "sniffles" is a disease.

And yes quite a few drugs are "helpers" that don't directly "cure" anything... but your statement that "NONE actually cure a disease" is completely inaccurate.

It's one i get over without any medication, matter of fact last week i had the sniffles and 2 days later it was gone.

AustinChief
01-26-2012, 10:26 PM

Um, I must have missed this post earlier...

You do know that death by disease and death by "natural causes" are the exact same thing.

You have death by "natural causes" usually meaning some form of disease(heart disease, the plague, stroke) and death by "unnatural" causes which would be like getting hit by a bus, shot or eaten by a bear.

AustinChief
01-26-2012, 10:27 PM
It's one i get over without any medication, matter of fact last week i had the sniffles and 2 days later it was gone.

Then you likely had an allergy(disease) or virus(disease)... and yes your body handles these things quite well on its own all the time. If those same symptoms had persisted for weeks on end (bacteria) you could easily die from it(if your immune system is compromised by fatigue or other factors) without the aid of antibiotics.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Um, I must have missed this post earlier...

You do know that death by disease and death by "natural causes" are the exact same thing.

You have death by "natural causes" usually meaning some form of disease(heart disease, the plague, stroke) and death by "unnatural" causes which would be like getting hit by a bus, shot or eaten by a bear.

By Natural Causes i mean you have lived a full life of 80+ years and some part of the body just can't continue. I wouldn't consider a Dentist dieing from a heart attack at the age of 52 to be due to natural causes.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Then you likely had an allergy(disease) or virus(disease)... and yes your body handles these things quite well on its own all the time. If those same symptoms had persisted for weeks on end (bacteria) you could easily die from it(if your immune system is compromised by fatigue or other factors) without the aid of antibiotics.

So you admit the antibiotics would only help the body cure the "disease" and not classify it as a miracle cure yes? The same can be said of Vitamins and Minerals.

AustinChief
01-26-2012, 10:42 PM
By Natural Causes i mean you have lived a full life of 80+ years and some part of the body just can't continue. I wouldn't consider a Dentist dieing from a heart attack at the age of 52 to be due to natural causes.

Well, you have made up your own definition then, because that isn't how the medical community defines things

Basically, you are saying that for you "natural causes" is death by an age related disease. NO ONE dies of "old age"... your body doesn't just "give up" or "wear out"... there is always an underlying cause.

Most experts agree that given enough time and research we will at some point be able to delay the onset of these diseases indefinitely.

AustinChief
01-26-2012, 10:47 PM
So you admit the antibiotics would only help the body cure the "disease" and not classify it as a miracle cure yes? The same can be said of Vitamins and Minerals.

haha, not quite the same can be said for vitamins and minerals... yes they are important but no amount of vitamins is going to cure certain deadly bacterial infections. In THAT REGARD, antibiotic certainly can be a "miracle cure".. one we take for granted these days.

Just so you know.. antibiotics (in certain situations, I will try to keep this simple because it really isn't this simple) actually kill bacteria.. so yes, they "cure" the disease.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Well, you have made up your own definition then, because that isn't how the medical community defines things

Basically, you are saying that for you "natural causes" is death by an age related disease. NO ONE dies of "old age"... your body doesn't just "give up" or "wear out"... there is always an underlying cause.

Most experts agree that given enough time and research we will at some point be able to delay the onset of these diseases indefinitely.

Just one problem, we seem to be headed the wrong direction. There is always a cure right around the corner, i'm sure you've noticed this..yes?

Organs seem to finally give up, and having a disease condition can make that happen much quicker than what is(maybe used to be) natural.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-26-2012, 10:51 PM
haha, not quite the same can be said for vitamins and minerals... yes they are important but no amount of vitamins is going to cure certain deadly bacterial infections. In THAT REGARD, antibiotic certainly can be a "miracle cure".. one we take for granted these days.

Just so you know.. antibiotics (in certain situations, I will try to keep this simple because it really isn't this simple) actually kill bacteria.. so yes, they "cure" the disease.

I've known people that weren't vaccinated that could drink water from stagnant ponds and never have a problem. I had a roommate in college that ate a 3 month old pizza that was not refrigerated and was just fine. The point is that if your body is strong it can fight bacteria off.

AustinChief
01-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Just one problem, we seem to be headed the wrong direction. There is always a cure right around the corner, i'm sure you've noticed this..yes?

Organs seem to finally give up, and having a disease condition can make that happen much quicker than what is(maybe used to be) natural.

NO. Your thinking is all wrong. Organs fail due to DISEASE. Period. They don't just fail "naturally." EVER. That has always been the case and always will be the case. What we can do AND have been doing is to delay the onset of these diseases. OR we delay or limit the mortality associated with them.

HonestChieffan
01-28-2012, 10:39 PM
http://media-cdn.pinterest.com/upload/1125968626649840_aW7GCRvL_b.jpg

beach tribe
01-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Amid the claims that our food, and water is poisoned, the drug companies are trying to kill us, and science refuses to cure diseases, life expectancy continues to go up, and up, and up.
Tons more people today die of what you call natural causes, than in any other point in history.