PDA

View Full Version : Elections Re-Elect Obama: Vote Newt!

Brainiac
01-26-2012, 09:09 AM
http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2012-01-25.html

It's a long column, so I'll post after the OP.

To summarize: Ann Coulter nails it. Newt is about to be exposed.

Brainiac
01-26-2012, 09:11 AM
To talk with Gingrich supporters is to enter a world where words have no meaning. They denounce Mitt Romney as a candidate being pushed on them by "the Establishment" -- with "the Establishment" defined as anyone who supports Romney or doesn't support Newt.

Gingrich may have spent his entire life in Washington and be so much of an insider that, as Jon Stewart says, "when Washington gets its prostate checked, it tickles [Newt]," but he is deemed the rebellious outsider challenging "the Establishment" -- because, again, "the Establishment" is anyone who opposes Newt.

This is the sort of circular reasoning one normally associates with Democrats, people whom small-town pharmacists refer to as "drug seekers" and Ron Paul supporters.

Newtons claim Romney is a "moderate," and Gingrich the true conservative -- a feat that can be accomplished only by refusing to believe anything Romney says ... and also refusing to believe anything Gingrich says.

-- Romney's one great "flip-flop" is on abortion. (I thought the reason we argued with people about abortion was to try to get them to "flip-flop" on this issue. Sometimes it works!)

Nearly two decades ago, when Romney was trying to defeat champion desecrator of life Sen. Teddy Kennedy, he sought to remove abortion as a campaign issue by declaring that he, too, supported Roe v. Wade.

(Nonetheless, Kennedy ran a campaign commercial against him featuring a Mormon woman complaining that Romney, as a Mormon elder, had pressured her not to have an abortion, but to give the child up for adoption. Are you getting the idea that Massachusetts is different from the rest of America, readers?)

Romney changed his mind on abortion -- not when it was politically advantageous, but when it mattered. As governor of liberal, pro-choice Massachusetts, he vetoed an embryonic stem cell bill and "worked closely" with Massachusetts Citizens for Life. The president of MCL recently issued a statement saying that, "since being elected governor, Mitt Romney has had a consistent commitment to the culture of life."

He didn't defend his changed position by saying he was a "historian," or denounce people who raised the switch as "fundamentally" dishonest asking "absurd" questions, or go back and forth and back and forth. He just said he changed his mind.

Meanwhile, Gingrich, who has run for office only in a small, majority Republican, undoubtedly pro-life congressional district, lobbied President Bush to support embryonic stem cell research.

-- Romney is now the only remaining candidate for president who opposes amnesty for illegals. (Ever since President Bush's amnesty plan cratered on the shoals of public opposition, no Republican will ever use the word "amnesty," despite wanting to keep illegals here -- just as Democrats refuse to say "abortion," while supporting every manner of destroying human life.)

Romney supports E-Verify and a fence on the border. As governor he promoted English immersion programs for immigrants, signed an agreement with the federal government allowing state troopers to enforce federal immigration laws, and opposed efforts to give illegal immigrants in-state tuition or driver's licenses.

At the same time, Romney says he'd like to staple a green card to the diploma of every immigrant here on a student visa who gets a higher degree in math or science.

Gingrich supports importing a slave labor force from Mexico under a "guest worker" program and wants to create government "citizen review boards" to grant amnesty on a case-by-case basis (i.e. all at once) to illegal aliens.

-- Romney supports entitlement reform along the lines of the Paul Ryan plan, as he has said plainly, but without histrionics, in the debates.

Just last year, Gingrich went on "Meet the Press" and called Ryan's plan -- supported by nearly every House Republican -- "right-wing social engineering."

He apologized for those remarks, then took back his apology, still later doubled down, calling the Ryan plan "suicide," and now -- currently, but it could change any minute -- Gingrich supports Ryan's entitlement reform efforts.

For the latest updates on Newt's position on the Ryan plan, go to http//twitter.com/#whatcheapshotgrandstandymovewillworknow?

-- As for crony capitalism, Romney made all his money in the private sector by his own diligence and talent -- even giving away all the money he inherited from his parents. He's never lived in Washington or traded on access to government officials.

Meanwhile, without the federal government, Gingrich would be penniless. He has been in Washington since the '70s, first as a congressman, then becoming a rich man on the basis of having been a congressman.

Most egregiously, he took $1.6 million to shill for Freddie Mac, one of the two institutions directly responsible for the housing crash that caused the financial collapse. (Or one of three, if you consider Barney Frank an institution.)

If the tea party stands for anything, it stands in absolute opposition to government insiders shoring up Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac at the very time those institutions were blowing up the economy.

-- Romney could not be more forceful in saying he will issue a 50-state waiver to Obamacare his first day in office and then seek its formal repeal. Whether you like a state-wide insurance mandate or not, it's a world of difference when the federal government does it. Conservatives, having read the Constitution, ought to understand this.

It was on account of the difference between state and federal powers that the Supreme Court overturned the federal Violence Against Women Act. The court was not endorsing rape, but reminding us that states make laws about rape, not Congress.

To act as if Obamacare is the same thing as "Romneycare" is just a word game, on the order of acting like a "gun" has the same properties as a "gunny sack," or "fire" is the same thing as a "firefly."

Romney supported the idea of other states doing something along the lines of his health care bill, but always opposed insurance mandates from the federal government (just as I oppose the federal government issuing general laws about rape, but support state laws against rape.)

For those of you who still think Romneycare is the worst possible sin a Republican candidate could commit -- even worse than taking money from Freddie Mac as it destroyed the economy -- that doesn't help Gingrich: He supported Romneycare.

(While we're on the subject, the nation's leading conservative think tank, The Heritage Foundation, helped draft Romneycare. Indeed, Bob Moffit, Heritage's senior fellow on health care issues, can be seen in the picture of the bill-signing ceremony, standing proudly behind Romney.)

But Gingrich did more than support Romneycare. As former senator Rick Santorum has pointed out, Gingrich supported a FEDERAL individual mandate to purchase health insurance from 1993 until five minutes ago -- i.e., at least until a "Meet the Press" appearance just last May.

Asked by Maria Bartiromo in the CNBC debate last November to explain what he would do to fix health care, Newt attacked the question as "absurd" and said he would need a "several-hour period" to answer it.

In a world where words have meaning, Mitt Romney is not the "moderate" in this race. He is the most conservative candidate still standing, with the possible exception of Rick Santorum, who is bad on illegal immigration. (Santorum voted in the Senate against even the voluntary use of E-Verify by employers, which means he doesn't want to do anything about illegal immigration at all.)

Romney is "moderate" only in demeanor -- which is just another word game. His positions are more conservative than Gingrich's, but he doesn't scare people like Gingrich does. Ronald Reagan and Jesse Helms were moderate in demeanor, too. No one would call them political moderates.

Romney is the most electable candidate not only because it will be nearly impossible for the media to demonize this self-made Mormon square, devoted to his wife and church, but precisely because he is the most conservative candidate.

Conservatism is an electable quality. Hotheaded arrogance is neither conservative nor attractive to voters.

Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/#AnnCoulter

COPYRIGHT 2012 ANN COULTER
DISTRIBUTED BY UNIVERSAL UCLICK
1130 Walnut St., Kansas City, MO 64106; 816-581-7500

The sooner this fraud candidate goes away, the better.

Deberg_1990
01-26-2012, 09:12 AM
well yea, duh.....

Repubs really missed an oportunity this election cycle. None of these current clowns are beating Obama

Brainiac
01-26-2012, 09:16 AM
well yea, duh.....

Repubs really missed an oportunity this election cycle. None of these current clowns are beating Obama
I hear a lot of people saying that, but it's simply incorrect to state that Romney has no chance to beat Obama. Romney would do much better in a general election than in any Republican primary because he appeals to moderates and independents.

mlyonsd
01-26-2012, 09:19 AM
The ONLY thing Newt would be good for is if Romney could tap out to him in the presidential debates. I think Newt would shred Obama.

HonestChieffan
01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Poor ann is fighting hard to stay alive but slowly sinking away.

Brainiac
01-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Poor ann is fighting hard to stay alive but slowly sinking away.
What specifically in the article do you disagree with?

BucEyedPea
01-26-2012, 09:41 AM
DeLay blasts Gingrich as 'not really conservative'

He's right too.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2012/01/newt-gingrich-tom-delay-criticism-/1

"What has been said about Newt is pretty much true," DeLay said. "He had to step down because conservative Republicans wouldn't vote for him again as speaker ... because he's not really a conservative."

"He'll tell you what you want to hear," DeLay continued. "He has an uncanny ability, sort of like (Bill) Clinton, to feel your pain and know his audience and speak to his audience and fire them up. When he was speaker, he was erratic, undisciplined."

Here's how DeLay described the coup in a March 2007 interview with Rush Limbaugh:

"A group of conservative Republicans, not in leadership, were very upset about Newt Gingrich and the fact that he would change the agenda about every 15 minutes. They were getting upset with the fact that he was playing footsies with Bill Clinton too much, and they were going to take him out and take him down. At the same time the leadership was having the same problem and we were having discussions with Newt about his managerial style and how difficult it was to make things happen when he would change the agenda ."

Romney is still Establishment and mushy despite the Coulter article, but Willard isn't corrupt the way Newt is.

BucEyedPea
01-26-2012, 09:43 AM
The ONLY thing Newt would be good for is if Romney could tap out to him in the presidential debates. I think Newt would shred Obama.

Newt would only be good at shredding Obama in a debate. Then he'll vote for corporate communism, expensive infrastructure on the moon and a whole lot more war.....one even on Cuba!

patteeu
01-26-2012, 10:21 AM
well yea, duh.....

Obama has no weaknesses. Everyone loves Obama. Obama has a track record worthy of Mt. Rushmore.

oldandslow
01-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Obama has no weaknesses. Everyone loves Obama. Obama has a track record worthy of Mt. Rushmore.

None of that is true...

...the only truth is that he is gonna win the next election.

mlyonsd
01-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Obama has no weaknesses. Everyone loves Obama. Obama has a track record worthy of Mt. Rushmore.Rushmore can handle one more head but not an ego that size.

HonestChieffan
01-26-2012, 11:03 AM

I don't think Ann will decide who wins. She is about at the end of her run and becomes more shrill each day. The vast majority of voters have not made up their mind. Ann like most windbags right now have to stake an extreme then run with it. It feeds the extremes and other than that is just noise.

Brainiac
01-26-2012, 11:10 AM

I don't think Ann will decide who wins. She is about at the end of her run and becomes more shrill each day. The vast majority of voters have not made up their mind. Ann like most windbags right now have to stake an extreme then run with it. It feeds the extremes and other than that is just noise.
I didn't ask you what you think of Ann Coulter.

orange
01-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Newt Gingrich: Mitt Romney 'Is Counting On Us Not Having YouTube'

Newt Gingrich has long since moved on from the pledge he made in Iowa to run a positive campaign and let the chips fall where they may. A thorough thumping in that state's caucuses and a disappointing finish in the New Hampshire primary can do that to a candidate. The amount of anti-Mitt Romney venom that oozed out during a campaign stop in Florida Thursday morning, though, was nevertheless a bit shocking.

The former House Speaker unloaded on his chief rival during an address to a gathering of Tea Party supporters in Mount Dora, Fla. He called Romney's attacks on his record "the desperate last stand of the old order," and accused the former Massachusetts governor of having directly profited from the housing crisis in the Sunshine State. He derisively called Romney a "money-making independent" during the era of Ronald Reagan -- not that there's anything wrong with making money, Gingrich added -- and once again went after his diverse and lucrative financial portfolio.

"We are not going to beat Barack Obama with some guy who has Swiss bank accounts, Cayman Island accounts, owns shares of Goldman Sachs who have foreclosed on Florida and is himself a stock holder in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, while he tries to think the rest of us are too stupid to put the dots together and understand what this is all about," Gingrich declared in a preamble to a decidedly angry stump speech.

"In 1992, he gave money to Democrats for Congress," he added at another point. "He voted in the Democratic primary for Paul Tsongas, the most liberal candidate. This is the man who stood up the other night and questioned my credentials as a Reaganite? This is the kind of gall they have, to think we are so stupid and we are so timid that we will let someone who voted for Paul Tsongas -– in 1994 he is running for the U.S. Senate to the left of Teddy Kennedy. Do you know how hard it is to run to the left of Teddy Kennedy? And he says, 'You know, I don’t want to go back to the Reagan-Bush years, I was an independent then.'"

"He won't tell you that now, because he is counting on us not having YouTube," Gingrich said. "That's how much he thinks we are stupid. And we are not stupid. The message we should give Mitt Romney is: we aren't that stupid and you aren't that clever."

Given his own lengthy list of problematic YouTube moments, Gingrich's speech on Thursday seemed to reflect the sniping and pettiness that have largely defined the campaign since it moved from South Carolina to Florida. Romney and an allied super PAC have hit Gingrich on everything from his diminished importance during the Reagan years to his quasi-lobbying for Freddie Mac. When the first wave of criticism came during Monday night's debate in Tampa, the former speaker was caught flat-footed. His campaign now seems to have studied up. Gingrich, on Thursday, even referenced a Think Progress report showing Romney and his wife "own or owned millions of dollars worth of a Goldman Sachs investment fund invested heavily in mortgage-backed obligations."

Romney's campaign hasn't addressed the Goldman investment yet. It has stressed that the former governor's holdings in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were set up through a blind trust, though the Boston Globe has reported that that's not actually true. As for his time as an independent during the Reagan-Bush era, that part of Romney's history is well-documented and wouldn’t have come up had Romney not accused Gingrich of being a marginal figure back then.

There remains, it should be noted, five more days until Floridians actually vote, and there is another GOP debate scheduled for Thursday evening. Things could get even more venomous.

read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/26/newt-gingrich-mitt-romney-youtube_n_1233726.html?ref=politics

:LOL: He definitely has a way with words.

BucEyedPea
01-26-2012, 11:19 AM

But the bombast of Rush ( the female equivalent of shrill) is better?
Rush LIES when he says Newt has conservativism in his heart. LOLLY-GAG!
Newt is the extremist.

patteeu
01-26-2012, 11:22 AM

What is your opinion about what she said in the column wrt Gingrich versus Romney? You don't have to like her or her style to weigh her arguments. She's not the only conservative who thinks Romney is more consistently conservative than Gingrich or who thinks that Romney is the more reliable leader.

cookster50
01-26-2012, 12:16 PM

You mean Mt. Obamamore

dirk digler
01-26-2012, 12:19 PM

I am happy that you are coming around to that fact.

dirk digler
01-26-2012, 12:26 PM
So I am watching Fox News and now both candidates are fighting over a dead guy and who was nicer to him.

This is seriously embarrassing and I can't believe this is what the primary race has become

orange
01-26-2012, 12:32 PM
So I am watching Fox News and now both candidates are fighting over a dead guy and who was nicer to him.

This is seriously embarrassing and I can't believe this is what the primary race has become

GOP Primary 2020

Candidate 1 "I polished his shoes."
Candidate 2 "I sold him lemonade."
Candidate 3 "Yeah, well I strewed flower petals in his path. Beat that."

mikey23545
01-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Newt would only be good at shredding Obama in a debate. Then he'll vote for corporate communism, expensive infrastructure on the moon and a whole lot more war.....one even on Cuba!

Where is all that money spent when we have a booming space program, Paulbot? What country's tech base is enhanced by a manned space program? Doesn't it appeal to a "domestic engineer" like yourself?

And why does every case of standing up to our country's enemies mean a war? Is that what Grandpa Appeasement taught you in his sacred scriptures?

All you Paulsuckers are robbed of rational thought by your Diety. You should just stay out of political discourse.

dirk digler
01-26-2012, 12:54 PM
GOP Primary 2020

Candidate 1 "I polished his shoes."
Candidate 2 "I sold him lemonade."
Candidate 3 "Yeah, well I strewed flower petals in his path. Beat that."

I was thinking more in the line of:

GOP Primary 2020

Candidate 1 "I sucked his dick."
Candidate 2 "I teabagged him and stuck my finger up his asshole."
Candidate 3 "He liked me so much he let me fuck Nancy while he watched. Beat that."

KILLER_CLOWN
01-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Where is all that money spent when we have a booming space program, Paulbot? What country's tech base is enhanced by a manned space program? Doesn't it appeal to a "domestic engineer" like yourself?

And why does every case of standing up to our country's enemies mean a war? Is that what Grandpa Appeasement taught you in his sacred scriptures?

All you Paulsuckers are robbed of rational thought by your Diety. You should just stay out of political discourse.

How is that debt treating you derp? You want your money to have no value? Go vote for communism you twisted bastard. Oh and don't lecture when you don't seem to have a clue.

orange
01-26-2012, 01:07 PM
I was thinking more in the line of :hump:

Beware. 2020 - 1980 = 40 years. You're treading near kiddie-porn.

dirk digler
01-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Beware. 2020 - 1980 = 40 years. You're treading near kiddie-porn.

I thought they were into that kind of stuff :D

whoman69
01-26-2012, 02:23 PM
To summarize: Ann Coulter nails it.

You lost me there.

Brainiac
01-27-2012, 08:21 AM
You lost me there.
Try reading the article.

Brainiac
01-27-2012, 08:22 AM
What is your opinion about what she said in the column wrt Gingrich versus Romney? You don't have to like her or her style to weigh her arguments. She's not the only conservative who thinks Romney is more consistently conservative than Gingrich or who thinks that Romney is the more reliable leader.

I'm starting to think HonestChieffan isn't going to respond. I've already asked him the same question twice.

It's always easier to attack the author of an article than the substance.

BucEyedPea
01-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Well, Romney is not exactly a conservative either. Newt is just not reliable. Besides Newt has been bought by plutocrat Adelson. It's due to Adelson's money he is able to rise again from the ashes and run ads going after Romney for him being a capitalist.

You need to look at who else and what else Adelson will want from a president Newt:
Adelson is a major financial backer of Israel’s ultra-nationalist Likud party, which calls in its platform for a “Greater Israel,” and he has backed Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to the hilt. ...

He is also a major backer of AIPAC, the most important pro-Israel lobbying organization – but downsized his contribution when the group signed on to the two-state solution advanced by both Republican and Democratic presidents – on the grounds that the plan means Israel is “committing suicide.”...

He supports the extremist – and increasingly violent – “settler” movement, and is the money-bags behind the “Clarion Fund,” which is responsible for flooding the US with anti-Arab propaganda...

In spite of being a highly-paid and sought after “historian” of note, you’ll be surprised, I’m sure, to learn Gingrich takes his lessons from Adelson, whose academic credentials are far less impressive. Because Newt didn’t always believe the Palestinians are a figment of their own imaginations: this idea coincided with Adelson’s generous donations to Gingrich, Inc. [ Newt earlier favored aid to Palestinians to match what Israel received too. ]

Raimondo (http://lewrockwell.com/raimondo/raimondo156.html)

That's the kind of behavior he was run out of congress for. He'd say one thing, do another. Bought and paid for Newt. Corrupt.

Captain Obvious
01-27-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm starting to think HonestChieffan isn't going to respond. I've already asked him the same question twice.

It's always easier to attack the author of an article than the substance.

That's pretty much his M.O. Especially if he starts the thread.